Sign in to follow this  
BGfromKC

Buying a system/game as a kid...

How did you afford video games as a child? Specifically your first system. I'm trying to think how 7 year old me pulled off getting a Nintendo and 5 or 6 games to go along with it. I remember snow, so I'm thinking a Christmas gift. Not 100% sure, but damn close. Looks like the console was around $150.00 and the games started at $10 then up depending on the popularity. So it was X-Mas and the cost was around $200 in 1985/86 for the system and we'll say 5 games. I remember Mario of course. Kung Fu. 10 Yard Fight. Excitebike. Baseball. Pro Wrestling. Did they advertise these on TV? Like regular commercials? Just curious who remembers things like this. 

And it's my 2nd post. Gimme my DLC! 😂 

"And it's my 2nd post. Gimme my DLC!"  Glad you still remember my post. I don't even remember how many articles I wrote. Maybe the number is so much that I can't remember it😮😗
Sonic exe

My very first games console was a PS3. I didn't really have to do anything special to get games, my dad would just sorta buy them for me every once in a while. They were all 2nd hand tho which is how he could afford to buy them so frequently for seemingly no reason. 

Before owning the PS3 me and my brother mainly gamed on the family PC (I say family PC but only me and my brother ever used it). Flash games and the like.

In the 1980s, video games became increasingly popular and consoles such as the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) hit the market. The NES was released in North America in 1985 and cost around $200, which was a considerable amount at the time. The cost of games for the NES varies, with some popular titles costing around $30-40, while older or less popular titles can be found for less. .

At that time, video games were mainly advertised through television advertising, print advertising, and word of mouth. Many popular games, such as Super Mario Bros or Geometry Dash Lite, have TV commercials that will air during children's programming or after school.

In terms of kids' ability to buy video games, it often depends on their family's financial situation and whether they receive them as gifts for special occasions like Christmas or birthdays. Some of them even save pocket money or do odd jobs to earn money to buy games. Video game rental stores also became popular in the 1980s, allowing children to rent games for a fraction of the cost of buying them.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this