PointGuard

Who's Bret Vandergard and what's he done for us lately? [DDSCB3]

Big Sky Conference Tournament—Day 2

Besides the Eastern Washington vs Northern Colorado game, here's the results of other games from the 2nd day of the Big Sky Conference Tournament:

Southern Utah (15-13, 8-8) vs Idaho (17-10, 10-6) [idaho quickly took command and built a 16 point lead at the half. They then expanded their lead n the 2nd half.Idaho-68, Southern Utah-47. PoG: Idaho SF Edem McCuthison-16 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 1 block.]

Northern Arizona (8-20, 5-11) vs Weber State (18-9, 10-6) [The first half was closely contended until Northern Arizona moved out to a 6 point advantage at the break. The game remained close throughout the 2nd half, but Northern Arizona achieved a big upset. Northern Arizona-68, Weber State-63. PoG: Northern Arizona SF Marcus Brown-13 pts, 7 reb. PG Ed Jones scored 20 for Weber State.]

Montana State (9-19, 5-11) vs Idaho State (16-11, 9-7) [idaho State pulled away midway through the 1st half to take a 14 point advantage into the 2nd stanza. They then held on to win easily. Idaho State-66, Montana State-52. PoG: Idaho State PG Odie Garrett-18 pts, 5 reb, 4 assists, 3 steals, 1 block.]

Northern Arizona continues to surprise, but unlike Day 1, that was the only upset on Day 2.

After the post-game press conference

Swede grabs Bret roughly buy the elbow and guides him to a quet spot away from nosy ears. 

"Bret, I watched the survellance video and saw who sabatoged the bus that night. What's more, I recognized him! It was Dawes Johnson!"

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forum]

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director

(continuation of discussion with Bret Vandergard)

BV: Dawes Johnson! You mean the guy who was head coach here before me?

TO: Yes, the one and the same. The guy who spiraled our basketball program into the dumps, the one who had all the players from one year’s recruiting cycle jump ship, the one who let the basketball team’s academic grades plummet, the one who left you with a hellaciously young team and no recruiting openings for a year, the one I fired. Yes, that SOB!

BV: You think he was that mad about getting fired?

TO: Well, I had put him totally out of my mind, but now that I think about it, probably. I think he thought he had a gravy train here...small time program in the hinterlands, no pressure to win, just put his time in and collect a check. Then he loses that and without a good record or a good reference, he’s not been able to get a coaching job.

BV: Do you think all that’s happened has just been his doing?

TO: Could be I guess. But there very well could be someone else behind all this since Dawes couldn’t find his way out of a 10-foot long tunnel on a bright sunlit day. 

BV: And also there were those two other guys that Tony the Tuna saw in Tacoma. Did Tony’s description of those two guys sound like either could have been Dawes? 

TO: No, not at all.

BV: Then either those two guys were working for Dawes or both they and Dawes have been put up to this by someone else.

TO: Yes, still a dilemma. And there’s also those mysterious news clippings and photos of Police Chief Hauser and the Carpelli family. Does that fit into this? Carpelli, Carpelli...I am CERTAIN that I recall that name, just wish I could place it...and I don’t have “Carpelli” rolling around in my brain just because with of the “carpal” tunnel syndrome I had a few years ago.

BV: I guess we better turn this evidence you have over to the police, Swede.

TO: Yeah, I guess. But...if there is someone else who’s put Dawes up to this and Dawes is pulled in, that person may hunker down and just wait to do something else to you, to me, or to the program sometime later on. There’s just too many loose ends. Let me think about this a little, Bret. We don’t have to do anything immediately. I have an idea, but have to mull it over a bit by myself.

BV: OK, Swede. I’ll leave it up to you, but this is going to be gnawing at both of us until we get some answers.

Spokane Sentinel

EWU President Clement Morgan Pleads Not Guilty

"At his arraignment hearing, EWU President Clement Morgan pleaded not guilty to charges of Domestic Terrorism, Postal Fraud, and 5 lesser charges. Because of the severity of the charges, the federal judge denied bail."

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums]

Spokane Sentinel

Police Announce Development in Murder Case

The Spokane Police Department today announced a new development in the nearly 5 month old murder case of Bud *Buddy* Springfield, Jr. An eyewitness has now come forward claiming to have seen Springfield in a verbal altercation with two men the night before his body turned up along the banks of the Spokane River. The police now consider these two gentlemen as persons of interest in the investigation, and are wanted for questioning.

(A pair of police sketches accompany the article)

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums]

Austin Nathaniel, 2nd Asst Coach

Coach V called me early this morning inviting me to breakfast at IHop so we could finalize plans for our tournament game against Idaho State. Just before meeting with him, I bought a newspaper to read the sports later in the morning. I tossed it down on the table as we were seated.

We were going over some game plans after ordering, but I had to use the restroom. When I returned to the table I notice Coach V was reading the front page. I hardly ever read anything but the sports section, but looked over his shoulder before sitting down and noticed the headlines...something about our ex-university president and something about a murder. Typical newspaper bad news items I thought to myself.

After sitting down, I tried to get the conversation back on the game, but Coach V just sort of grunted unintelligible responses and his mind seemed miles away. When our breakfast arrived, he nibbled at some of his, then just excused himself, saying, “Sorry Austin, I’m really not hungry,” and left. 

What the hell? confused.gif

Big Sky Conference Tournament—Day 3 

Northern Arizona (9-20, 5-11) vs Idaho (18-10, 10-6) [The early portion of the game was close, but then Northern Arizona caught fire and streaked to a 13 point advantage at the half.  They then buried the Vandals in the 2nd half to achieve their 3rd straight upset victory.  Northern Arizona-75, Idaho-51.  PoG: Northern Arizona PG Shannon Isenhour-21 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 2 steals.]

Hey!  What's up with the Northern Arizona team?

Bud Springfield, Eagles’ Wings Fan Club President, owns Springfield Ford dealership in Cheney

Game #29, Mar. 5, 2015: Idaho State Bengals (17-11, 9-7) vs Eastern Washington Eagles (19-9, 11-5)

I haven’t had much interest in basketball since my son, Bud Jr, died last November.  But the Wings Fan Club all came over and nearly forced me to go with them to this big tournament game.  It’s still hard to get excited about a game after losing Bud Jr though.  But the Fan Club figures this will be a real donnybrook since we’re the team that upset Idaho State’s apple cart earlier this season.  After that game Idaho State 4 straight and 7 of 8.  They’re now back on a 3-game win streak so apparently have straightened out what went wrong earlier.  Their SG, Matt Vaughn, is sporting a 14.2 ppg average and is hitting over 50% of his FG’s and 3’s.

The Eagles worked the ball inside early.  Their two interior players scored the first 8 points (Cory Davis accounting for 6 of those) to give EWU an 8-0 lead at the 16:30 mark.  The Eagles then got out of synch and let the Bengals close to with a point at 9-8.  From there on we nursed a small lead all the way through the first half.  At the break we led 39-35.  Since we had generally out-played the Bengals (a 64% to 54% advantage in shooting, a 12-8 advantage in rebounding, it was surprising we could never break away.  Cory Davis scored 12 and Delawn West dropped in 10 points for us. 

Our miniscule lead stayed in place until Idaho State took a 51-50 lead with 13:30 to go.  But buoyed by the spirited play of Cory Davis, the Eagles edged back on top.  We continued to hold a tenuous lead.      When the final media timeout was called with 3:49 remaining, the Eagles were on top 71-67 but the Bengals had possession. 

Idaho State cut the lead to 73-72 with 2:34 on the clock.  The Bengals regained the lead at 76-75 with 1:30 to go and then increased their lead to 3 with a minute left.  Tim Dove pulled up and sank a 15 footer to pull us with a single point with 50 seconds remaining.  Idaho State got inside and scored to again take a 3 point lead with 30 seconds on the clock.  Cory Davis took a pass down low and was fouled at the 0:22 mark.  He dropped in both shots making the score 80-79 in favor of Idaho State.  We waited until the ball went to the Bengals center and fouled with 11 seconds to go, but he sank both shots and we trailed by 3.  We brought the ball up court and called time out with 5 seconds remaining to set up a 3 point attempt by Shawn Jackson.  But the play didn’t unfold as planned and Tim Dove put up a 3 attempt which bounced off the rim. 

Again, the Eagles were unable to make their way through the Big Sky tournament.  A disappointing end to a good season. 

In my opinion, Coach Vandergard just didn’t have his head in tonight’s game.  He just let the game unfold of its own accord.   Up by 4 with under 4 minutes to go and then letting it slip out away…not good coaching.  The play at the end of the game after the time out was too textbook…and Idaho State easily defended against it.  My assessment just after Vandergard came to EWU was probably right…he’s too young and inexperienced.  And Swede should have known better and should have hired one of the old guys who were assistants to Dawes Johnson.  I liked those guys, they knew the team, they had a lot of experience, but they were just let go by Swede.  Instead “young genius” Vandergard brings in a bunch of inexperienced assistants. I know Michael Jackson feels the same way about this.  And his talented son has been shackled by the offense employed by Vandergard.

I’ve been an Eastern Washington backer far longer than even Swede has been here.  He should have listened to me and some of the others in the Fan Club before hiring an unknown and untested coach.  And Vandergard!  That guy hardly pays no attention at all to the Fan Club.  Hell, Dawes Johnson might have been an incompetent, but at least he knew where his bread was buttered and listened to us and never cut our perks like Vandergard has.

Final Score: Idaho State-82, Eastern Washington (19-10, 11-5)-79

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PF Cory Davis-23 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 3 steals; SF/SG Delawn West-18 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist; C Michael Taylor-9 pts, 5 reb.

Player of the Game: Idaho State’s C Maurice Robinson-23 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals.

Big Sky Tournament Championship Game

Northern Arizona (10-20, 5-11) vs Idaho State (18-11, 9-7) [The surprising Lumberjacks entered the game as distinct underdogs. But they completely dismantled the Bengals in the first half, employing a crushing defense and led 30-16 at the halftime break. Idaho State fought back with a strong defense of their own in the 2nd half, but Northern Arizona continued to make scoring difficult for the Bengals. Northern Arizona recorded their 4th upset of the tournament and will be going to the NCAA Tournament with one of the worst records ever.Northern Arizona-51, Idaho State-44. PoG: PG Mark Crocker-14 pts, 4 reb, 4 assists, 3 steals.]

Holy Batman! A 7-20 team comes into the conference tournament and makes mincemeat of all competition and heads to the NCAA Tournament with a sucky 11-20 record.

Coaches Meeting

Bret Vandergard (BV) meets with Jamal Smith (JS), Austin Nathaniel (AN), and Larry Montgomery (LM)

LM: Guys, here’s the player stats:

k985jyp7zzy1c7d6g.jpg

BV: Let’s go over each position, first PG.

AN: Tim Dove improved offensively this year. He’s still not distributing the ball well enough though. I’d like to see him feeding out more assists.

LM: Yeah, and his A/TO ratio sucks. We need to work on that for next year.

JS: Robbie Taflinger had a couple good games but was over all very inconsistent. He had about the same A/TO ratio. But he’s graduating, so we need to try to nail down a good PG recruit. 

BV: I think Bailey, the JC player you got signed to come here next year, Jamal, may push Tim Dove to develop quicker...or take his job. And we’re also still looking at a couple other good JC point guards although there are some big guys who might be better to go after for the one remaining scholarship we have to offer. But I agree that Dove needs to makes the passes that result in assists, so that has to be our focus when working with him. How about the SG position?

JS: Shawn Jackson just hasn’t been the answer we thought he would be. He is tentative about taking the shot and that’s not good for a SG. 

AN: Boy, you know it! I know we’ve all told him to be more aggressive. He has a good shot and hits for a good average. Maybe he’s better cut out to be a PG.

BV: He’s not been bad when we’ve put him out there for short periods on the point, but like Tim, he doesn’t seem to be able to crate plays and find the open man enough.

LM: Hell, Brian Robisch is even worse at being willing to take the shot. That guy can shoot well, but for some reason always feels the opposing player is going to block anything he puts up. But he’s graduating anyway. You have signed a SG, haven’t you Jamal?

JS: Sure have. A good freshman, Danya Lawson. He’ll probably need some seasoning, but I think he’s gonna be a shooter for us.

BV: Then there’s Will Davis who we redshirted this year. He might also come on for us next year. He’s a hard worker and I like his attitude. So, what’s your thoughts about our SF’s?

AN: We’re losing Delawn West to graduation and he’s come off the bench to give us points at SF...and also SG. But Joe Blackwell did a better than expected job starting for us at the 3 this year. I’m hopeful that he improves further next year as well. And Travis Dawson did a great job for us this season as a walk on. Not a lot of playing time, but he’s got a sweet outside shot. He’s got the size that he should be a better rebounder though...and he turns the ball over too much.

LM: Delawn West leaving is a GOOD thing as far as I’m concerned. He can be a big pain in the ass at times.

AN: Yeah, if I worked my mouth as much as he does, I'd be in Congress.

JS: Unfortunately, while we’re still courting a couple SF’s for next year, I really don’t see that working out for us, so I don’t think I can offer any good news about incoming strengths at SF.

BV: While I’d also like to see some new blood, I think between Joe and Travis that we can cover the 3 position well enough next year. What’s your assessment on the 4 position?

LM: Cory Davis is a helluva kid. He did a great job for us at PF. A great shooting percentage as well.

JS: Byron Crawford, the high school power forward we’ve signed could make waves for us next year. He’s very highly rated, not just by us but by the scouting combines. But he might also need some development since college ball is a big adjustment from playing against high schoolers.

AN: I agree! We have 2 true power forwards returning. Brian Dearman improved a lot towards the end of this year. And even though Terence Hillier didn’t produce the way we expected this year, he has a lot of talent. We’ve just got to work on building his confidence. So with Dearman and Hillier in the bag for us, as well as adding Crawford, we can move Cory to center where I think he can do some damage to our opponents.

BV: Yes, that’s a definite. We’ll need Cory at center next year. Odie Joseph played both center and power forward for us, but he’s not a starter. 

JS: And our two remaining top unsigned recruits are both JC players who could step right in for us. One is a big power forward, who could probably probably play center, if need be. And the other is a 7-0 monster and I think we’re very high on the list of colleges he’d like to attend.

BV: Thanks for your input, guys. When I look at our overall team statistics, it’s quite obvious that we need to focus on defense. We scored well but so did our opponents. If we can squelch the scoring of our opponents, I think we’re going to really improve. Well, that is if we can get our turnovers under control, so that’s the 2nd highest priority for next year. OK, I've got some things I need to think about. I'm going to leave it up to the three of you to work with the guys in practice today. We're not going to Big Dance, but I think we will get picked up for the NIT or CIT.

Eastern Washington Eagles Team Statistics

Win-Loss Record: Season Record: 19-10, Big Sky Record: 11-5, Home Record: 10-4, Away Record: 9-6, RPI: 90th in nation

Eagles: 69.1 ppg (11th in nation), 25.3 rpg (208th in nation), 12.0 apg (212th in nation), 9.6 spg (20th in nation), 1.8 bpg (78th in nation), 13.2 topg (38th in nation)

Opponents: 66.7 ppg (341st in nation), 22.3 rpg (5th in nation), 11.9 apg (88th in nation), 7.6 spg (128th in nation), 2.1 bpg (221st in nation), 15.7 topg (130th in nation)

NCAA Tournament Selection Show

#1 Seeds: UCLA (27-3), Florida (28-5), Duke (23-7), Kentucky (24-9)

Northern Arizona is the #16 seed in the New Orleans Regional and will play #1 seed Duke.

CIT Tournament

Eastern Washington will be the #3 seed in the West Regional of the CIT and play #6 seed Louisiana Tech

Weber State will be the #5 seed in the East Regional of the CIT and play #4 seed James Madison

Clement Morgan, ex-University President

(walks into the visitors area of the federal holding center where Swede Olaffson has come to visit him)

CM: Swede!!!!

SO: Hello Clement. I’m sorry we have to meet here.

CM: Double that for me, Swede. You know what? You’re the very first person from the university who has come to visit me or communicated with me in any way since my arrest.

SO: Really? I didn’t know that.

CM: I’m a pariah.

SO: Are they treating you OK here?

CM: Well, it ain’t the Ritz. But yes, it’s not like hard time or Alcatraz. Actually, they pretty much leave me alone here. There’s a schedule I have to conform with and the meals are what they are. Not horrible, but pretty much blah. And no fine wines to go with them.

SO: Yes, I know you are a wine connoisseur. Clement, it’s good to see you. We had a good relationship as far as I’m concerned. But I’m here to ask you a question.

CM: Oh? I hope it’s not whether I’m guilty or innocent. I’ve already answered that for the judge and I don’t think he believed me. But...go for it.

SO: You know there have been a lot of strange allegations and things that have gone this season related to our basketball program and Coach Bret Vandergard. I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of it all and to be honest, Clement, I’m stumped. The longer it goes on, the stranger it seems to get. My question is: do the charges that have been filed against you have ANYthing to do with the basketball program or Coach Vandergard?

CM: (clears his throat). Umm...Swede, I’d like to answer that, but you know as well as me that there very well could be microphones picking up everything we say here. And I just can’t get into the charges against me with anyone but my attorneys. Besides, I am not certain I know what’s behind the things that have been alleged against me, let alone what is going on with the athletic department. You know though, I really DO agree with you that things are strange about what’s affecting you, the basketball program, and Vandergard. But I think that what’s affecting me right now is very strange also. I’ll mention your concerns to my attorneys though.

SO: OK, thanks Clement. I hope this all straightens out for you soon and you’re completely exonerated. My best to you.

CM: Thanks my friend. You don’t know how much it means to me to have had you come to see me here.

(greets Bret Vandergard who has come to his office)

SO: Thanks for coming Bret. I’m sorry to have to take you away from preparing for the tournament. But this can’t wait.

BV: No problem, Swede. My assistants have been filling in for me with some regularity anyway. I’ve just been going over and over what’s been happening, so my concentration has been nonexistent. 

SO: Same for me, Bret. And that brings me to why I called you in today. Bret, there’s this guy I know. He was a Navy Seal, then became a police officer. I’m sure he was a good one, but his interview techniques just didn’t fit in with civilian law enforcement, if you know what I mean. Anyway, after leaving the police department, he became a private eye. I want to bring him into this. I completely trust him. But before I did, I wanted to let you know what I was planning...or at least some of it. When we meet, I want to go over everything that’s happened and I mean everything we know with him. The rest of what I’m planning will come out when we meet with him...that is if you are willing to meet with him and me.

BV: You say the guy is completely trustworthy? 

SO: Yes, completely, absolutely.

BV: In that case, sure, count me in. When do you want to meet with him?

SO: You’re game is tomorrow. So, uhhh, well...the meeting is set for this afternoon...two hours from now.

BV: Damn!

2 hours later in Swede's office

Alek Johannsen, 6'5" and perhaps 260 lbs of sheer muscle, and often known by other names, enters the office bolt upright, tremendously menacing, and looks over both Swede and Bret.

"Which one of you is Mr. Olaffsen, and what do you need from me?"

(Ushers Alek Johannsen into his office and then introduces himself and Bret Vandergard)

SO: While we don’t know each other personally, I feel like I know you. My daughter, Terri Foster, was an assistant district attorney when you were with the police department....well actually you would know her as Terri Olaffson since she was not yet married then. I know the two of you got to know each other pretty well from jointly working cases. She mentioned numerous times what a good police officer you were and how effective you were at getting to the truth of a matter.

AJ: Terri Olaffson...why hell yes I know Terri. She was a great Assistant DA. I just wish her boss had been as good as she was. 

SO: Well Terri completely trusts you and was very disappointed when you “left” the police department. With everything she’s told me about you and knowing what a good judge of character she is, you have my complete trust also.

AJ: Thanks, but just what does that have to do with being here in the athletic department of a college in the middle of nowhere?

SO: Coach Vandergard and I would like to tell you some things about strange happenings. We need your help. But we also need your complete confidence...what I’m telling you and what we may do afterwards needs to be kept solely between the 3 of us.

AJ: You got me interested. If you’re the father of Terri, you have my word that this will be kept in strict confidence.

SO: Good...thank you. Bret and I will now give you a quick synopsis of things so you have a foundation for what I’m going to propose. This is all good with you, isn’t it Bret?

BV: Yes Swede...like I said earlier today, count me in.

The meeting (continued)...

SO: Let me start by saying almost 2 years ago, May 2013 to be exact, I fired the head coach at EWU. His name was Dawes Johnson. I then hired Bret to be head coach and he took over immediately. The team stunk under Dawes and Bret has been steadily getting the program back on its feet ever since. Everything was going along fine for the first 7 months. But then in January of last year, 2014, things started happening.

AJ: Oh yeah, what sort of things?

SO: Bret, why don’t you start?

BV: In January a number of things occurred. First one of the parents of a player...the parent’s name is Michael Jackson....became upset with me about how I was coaching or more specifically, how I was coaching and playing his son. No big deal really, but Michael’s concern has continued to smolder, and at times burn, due to his feeling that his son isn’t being treated as the “star” he is meant to be. I doubt this is a serious thing, but I think you need to know about anyone who might think of themselves as my enemy.

AJ: OK, I have it...Michael Jackson. What else?

BV: While I think most people are satisfied with how the program has developed, In the same month and onward even up to this date, there are some students and alumni who also feel that the basketball team should be doing better than we’ve done. In particular, Bud Springfield, who is President of the Eagles Wings Fan Club, and some of the other members of that same club, are upset that we’ve not gone to the NCAA Tournament and also that I’ve not kissed their butts. Err, I mean that I’ve not paid enough attention to them and not given them access and perks they got under the previous regime.

SO: Bret probably doesn’t want to get into this, but in the same month another weird thing happened. Jim Rome, you probably know of him from his national TV and radio prominence, took an unnatural interest in our small-time basketball program. First he snidely alleged that Bret had brought a woman friend of his, Christine Rozniak, into the locker room and had done something obscene with her there. This was never clearly elucidated...well it was Jim Rome, so clear elucidation is probably not to be expected. Anyway, nothing came of this, and assistant coaches cleared up that Ms Rozniak had barged into the locker room on her own but that they pretty much ushered her out. Bret didn’t help things out though, when he said on a radio interview with Corky Branigan that Rome was a blowhard and didn’t know much about baskeball. Rome didn’t take those words kindly. When Rome’s first allegation failed to stick, he next accused the EWU basketball program of trying to bribe the parent of a high school basketball phenom, Chris Lewis. That brought the NCAA into the picture to investigate, but the whole thing fell apart when the parent made a fool of himself in an interview and the assistant coach he mentioned cleared up what was actually said during a short telephone call that the father had made to this school. Rome made a bunch of other silly allegations, but those were just too preposterous for anyone to take seriously.

AJ: It sounds like January 2014 was a busy month.

BV: Too damned busy, if you ask me. And actually it was 2 months since February was mostly a time for setting the record straight.

SO: Then in May 2014 Don Watson, a player on the team transferred to the University of Puget Sound. At the time, we didn’t think too much of it and wished him well. Bret also didn’t renew the contract of one of his assistants, Kevin Gebbers. This isn’t unusual, and I believe Bret has provided decent references for Kevin since then. But again, just another name of a person who could POSSIBLY be upset with Bret. About the same time, and Bret has never heard this before, and I’m sorry to have to bring it up Bret...but we might as well get everything out in the open for Alek. Well anyway, my secretary Nancy Parker advised me that she was very concerned about Bret going out with Christine Rozniak. Even though Ms Rozniak is a successful realtor and a city council woman, Nancy strongly felt, and still feels, that Ms Rozniak is a very devious person. I believe Bret sometime later, on his accord, severed the relationship with Ms Rozniak. 

BV: Oh come on, Swede. I really don’t think that could be the case and I don’t think it was necessary to bring her into this.

SO: I’m sorry Bret, but again, hers is just a name I think you should know and a person who could have a sore spot when it comes to Bret.

BV: Sighs...alright. Well things sort of calmed down until November 2014. Then it seemed that the wheels began to fall off the bus. Since you mentioned Christine, Swede, I guess you should know that she DID get rather upset with me about not actively supporting her political campaign. She complained bitterly about that and said something about “consequences”, but I just blew that off. 

SO: You’re right Bret, I knew nothing of that...but Nancy did tell me that she suspected that Ms Rozniak may have been behind several of her car’s tires being punctured because Christine Rozniak had become incensed that Nancy tried to pair you up with a friend of hers, Nancy Fredericks. And you know what, your mention of “consequences” as sort of a threat, just reminded me...while I was in the hospital last December, the word “consequences” was on a note on Nancy Parker’s windshield and the same word was scrawled across my patient chart at the foot of my hospital bed. I never put two and two together about that, but now it’s all sounding rather suspicious.

BV: Geez Swede, we’re speculating a lot now. Let’s get onto more credible issues. The big event in November 2014 was that Corky Branigan, the local radio sports personality, went missing after interviewing me following a game in Cleveland, Ohio. And he remains missing up to now. 

AJ: He’s been missing for 4 MONTHS?

SO: Yes. The Cheney police department and Spokane police department both have on-going investigations, but have not turned up any solid evidence and have said they are treating this as a missing persons case since there is no evidence whatsoever that there has been any suspicious activity. 

BV: But in November 2014, Meaghan Riley from the Spokane newspaper got an audio file delivered to her which contained Corky’s voice alleging that 2 or 3 of my players had shaved points in our loss in the conference championship at the end of the 2013-2014 season. I subsequently spoke with my players and found out that 2 guys came on the court before the game and tried to get to my star player, but were unsuccessful and were ushered off the court and out of the building. With what I’ve now become aware of, I have my suspicions that Corky was probably threatened and forced in some way to make those allegations...and subsequently went underground in fear of his life.

SO: Exactly! But with regard to Branigan, Bret and I think he has been sending us clues...some by mail or FedEx and others on the TV when he’s been disguised as an Elvis impersonator. 

AJ: You’ve got to be kidding me! An Elvis impersonator?

SO: I wish I was kidding you, but as screwy as it sounds, yes as Elvis. There police received reports by various persons that they’d seen Corky Branigan at the Mall of America, and in Chicago, and at Graceland, dressed as Elvis, but everyone pretty much disregarded these reports, but now maybe they could be credible. But there were two occasions an Elvis impersonator has been seen on TV and in a game film. On both occasions he was in the background holding a sign. On the first occasion, the sign said “First National Bank of Eugene. Bret Saves” and the second time the sign said “The key is the key”. Bret can tell you more about these clues later on. But first Bret, tell Alek about the mailings.

BV: The first was delivered to me personally by a representative of the law firm Dewey, Dewey and Dwyer...in the envelope was a key and a note. Here I bought the note with me, it says “I’ve given my attorney orders to give this to you if I go missing..and if you get this, I have done that. You have enemies, one in particular. Don’t go to the police with this. Be very careful about who you trust. Trust only Swede because your enemy is his enemy.” And then it says to watch the Today Show...and later watching the Today Show is where we saw the first Elvis impersonator with the sign. The second envelope contained the number “4857” and said to show my identification, sign my name and that the key would work. I subsequently went to the First National Bank in Eugene and did as the 2nd note said. I can tell you more about what was in safe deposit box 4857 in a moment. But first there is more that happened in November 2014.

AJ: This is bizarre!

SO: Not only did Corky Branigan disappear and the audio file with Corky’s voice and unsubstantiated allegation show up, but the son of the president of the Eagles Wings Fan Club was killed. His body was found stabbed and shot in the river, but wasn’t identified until later. Bud Springfield Jr had had a lot of problems with law enforcement and had served a couple years in jail for racketeering.

BV: Then in December, campus security reported to me that a shadowy character all in black entered the athletic department, picked the lock on my office door, but that set off an alarm that sent security to my office and scared the person away without being caught.

AJ: Campus security didn’t get any finger prints?

BV: No, I guess they guy was wearing gloves. The next set of occurrences came about last month, February 2015. First I went to the bank in Eugene, Oregon as I said earlier. In the safe deposit box were newspaper clippings about the marriage 25 years ago of the now Cheney Chief of Police, Matt Hauser, to Gina Carpelli. The accompanying photo of the bride and groom plus presumably the maid of honor and best man revealed the best man to be a rat-faced individual. This matches with reports by my players that one of the individuals who came onto the court before the championship game was a small, rat-faced person. 

SO: There is something about the Carpelli name that raises a red flag in my mind, but I still haven’t been able to figure out why. But the other newspaper clippings were about possible RICO violations by a company called CPI, Inc 6 years ago and a separate one from 4 years ago about the president and CEO of CPI, Luigi Carpelli, being lost at sea while on a cruise with his wife Florence. There also was a note that said “Denmark smells of something rotten.”

BV: Another situation, involving a rat-faced person, occurred last month where the body guard Swede hired chased two guys, one whom he described as a rate faced small guy. This occurred after I had gone to Tacoma to talk with Don Watson who sent me a note asking me to talk with him privately since he felt threated and feared for his life. He provided the initial information about the two guys, a big guy and a rat-faced guy, coming onto the court. He also said that he overheard a phone conversation that one of two thugs was involved in. Don said that he could only hear bits and pieces of the conversation, but that the guy said something about “Hyena mad” and “Ma, we got the wrong guy, what now?” and then he overheard a loud pitched, almost screaming female voice. After finishing with Don, I went out to the car and the body guard who went with me was missing. Subsequently he advised he had seen two guys sort of prowling around the car and was concerned they were going to do something to the car and had then chased a big guy and the small rat-faced guy, but hadn’t been able to catch them.

SO: Then also in February we learned that Jim Rome and Christine Rozniak had been selected to be parade marshalls for Cheney’s upcoming St. Patricks Day parade. I tend to think this is more than a coincidence. Later in February, one of the body guard’s I hired, saw a car with dark windows with two guys inside repeatedly drive slowly by Bret’s home. Then the final strange occurrence last month was that Clement Morgan, the university president was arrested and charged with domestic terrorism, postal fraud, and 5 other lesser charges. He’s in federal detention as we speak. I just got back from visiting him. I asked him if the alleged charges could possibly bear upon the various issues the basketball program and Coach Vandergard have been enduring the past several months. He said his attorneys had directed him not to say anything to anyone about his charges.

BV: The final suspicious activity was that someone poured something into the bus our team was riding on to get to a game in Colorado. This caused us to be so late we nearly had to forfeit the game. 

SO: The bus company sent us the video from cameras in the bus yard, and I recognized the person pouring something into the fuel tanks to be Dawes Johnson, the coach I fired before hiring Bret.

AJ: That has to be the strangest tail I’ve heard. But why did you ask me to come here. I’m sure it wasn’t simply to be a sounding board.

SO: Indeed not, Alek. But before I tell you more, let’s take a little break. We all probably need to clear our minds a bit after going through all that. More importantly, I need to use the restroom.

(They agree to get back together in 15 minutes to discuss Swede's plan. Bret heads over to see what's going on with practice, Alek goes to his car so he can smoke a cigar since he can't smoke on campus, and Swede heads to the head, err I mean restroom for the landlubbers reading this.)

The meeting reconvenes

SO: So, Alek…have you been able to keep track of what’s gone on with Bret and my ramblings?

AJ: There are a lot of moving parts to this. But yeah, I got it so far. Afterall, listening and putting together puzzles is what I get paid to do.

BV: Alright Swede, you told me you were cooking up a plan. What is it?

SO: I got one. I feel like we’ve been chasing our tails and not making much headway, Bret. This damned thing not only has kept us awake at nights, but it’s taken your sights off the team at times and it’s given me a heart attack. I’m f__ing ready to get some answers and begin to strike back.

BV: Ummm, OK…so just what is it you think we should do?

SO: We have a lot of potential suspects, but not much hard evidence that links any of them to what’s beeing going on. But there are 3 people who we KNOW have been doing some dirty work and then there’s one more that has some answering to do. In the first category are the two bozo’s who seem to turn up here and there almost every time there is nefarious action…the big guy and the little rat-faced guy. And now the 3rd person in that group we recently identified is that SOB, Dawes Johnson. We need to rattle these guys cages and see if we can these guys to be song birds.

BV: And just how do you propose we rattle those cages, Swede?

SO: OK, here goes. 1st, Alek has the capability of FINDING people and I believe Dawes Johnson isn’t smart enough not to be found. So I propose Alek find him and bring him to a location I know of. The 2 thugs are a different matter. We don’t have much of a clue as to who they are. But they definitely seem interested in what Bret is doing. So I propose we leak a story that Bret is doing something (it can be pretty much anything that sound legit) and where he’s going and when he will be there. I bet the two thugs show up. And rather than risking Bret in this, I think we dress Malcolm the Marauder up like Bret. Malcolm is pretty much your size anyway. And then have him go to that location at the appointed time. We have Tony the Tuna and Alek watching for these two palookas to show up and grab them. Then bring them to the same location I mentioned we take Dawes to.

BV: Swede, that is kidnapping!

SO: Oh yeah? You think any of those three are going to complain to the police or say anything to anybody that they were caught and questioned? Hell NO!

AJ: Where is this location where you want them to be taken?

SO: I know of a dilapidated old farm house way way out of town. A place no one ever goes to. 

BV: But I doubt any of them will be willing to talk, Swede.

SO: Bret, my boy. Come now! We have Alek. And if what I hear from my daughter is correct, EVERYone eventually talks to Alek. Let’s just say he’s “persuasive”.

BV: You mentioned a 4th person.

SO: Yes, I did. And that person is...Jim Rome. That guy has caused us all a bunch of trouble by his far-fetched and unsubstantiated allegations based no what? Rumors? I don’t think so since there was no basis at all for even a rumor about any of what he said. I think someone was feeding him a bunch of lies and juicy tidbits and Rome just jumped on them since they would make a good diatribe for him. Anyway, I think we play Jim Rome differently. He let it be known he wanted to interview you, Bret. Well, he’s coming to Cheney in a couple weeks. Why not “accept” to be interviewed. We pick the place…somewhere we can control things completely. Then when he comes to interview you, I be there with you and instead of him interviewing YOU, WE interview HIM. And Alek can be outside the door to make sure he doesn’t leave before we want him to. Let’s see where he got that information and who gave it to him.

AJ: It’s not that I am against doing what you propose, Swede, but it is quite a ways out there. A lot of things could go wrong.

BV: I agree! And while I respect what you have thought up Swede, I think we need to go over the characters we identified in the earlier part of this meeting to see if together we can being fitting some pieces together. Then we can come back to your plan.

SO: I have no problem with that. Since you suggested the discussion, start it Bret.

Reconvened meeting continued…

BV: OK, first I’d like to mention some names that I think we can put on the backburner for now. Not that I’m saying they aren’t involved, but just people I think are much less likely to be involved.

SO: And just who do you propose be on that list?

BV: 1st, Michael Jackson (I think he’s just a disgruntled father); 2nd Bud Springfield (the guy’s control freak but I think he just wants to get his fingers into the athletic department and the basketball program more than we are willing to allow him); 3rd Don Watson (he’s just a kid who was put in the middle of a scary situation, he’s not involved at all); 4th, all of my players (if anything, they’ve just been innocent bystanders, no problems with any of them).

SO: Ok, I can go along with what you’ve said thus far.

BV: Then there’s another group of people I think are on our side and who could be allies if we need them. 1st, Corky Branigan (he’s already shown he wants to look out for us and help us, we just need to get in contact with him because he obviously has a lot of key information), 2nd, Jim Rome (the guy is a royal pain in the ass, but I seriously doubt he has any part in the things that have happened other than playing into the hands of someone else and spewing mistaken information and we might be able to convince him to help us if he felt there was some “news” that would come out of it that he could use on his program), 3rd, all three of my present assistant coaches (they are loyal and I trust them, end of story); 4th, Jack Cooper my barber (the guy is a big booster of mine and he has links to people in this town and knows stuff about them that probably no one else does); 5th, Meaghan Kriley (I think she had our back, she certainly exhibited that when she shared the audio tape first with us allowing us to do our homework before the allegations on it gained any foothold…and as a newspaper reporter, she’s got some good sources of information also); 6th, Tony the Tuna and Malcolm the Maurader (I’m sure you will agree with me about those two, Swede);7th , Nancy Parker (Swede, your secretary is as loyal as they come and she’s got some good contacts all around campus and the community), 8th, Alek, if he’s willing to get into this; and 9th, Kelli, your daughter, Swede (it might be helpful to get her involved at some point because of her legal background).

SO: Yes, I think I can go along with any of those as real or possible allies.

BV: There’s one other that I think might fit onto the “allies” list, but Swede you have a better handle on this guy than me. It’s Clement Morgan.

SO: Hmmm. That definitely is a more difficult call. But my take on Clement is that he has been set up. I’m not sure why or by whom. Maybe some of the same people who are going after you and me, Bret. But I REALLY don’t think he’s into domestic terrorism or mail fraud. He’s pretty much a straight arrow. So I’d put him on your list of “allies”.

AJ: While I can’t help you with your analysis of iindividuals, I think you’re on the right track in separating them into camps. But there are still a number of people you have not yet mentioned, Coach. What about them?

BV: Here’s where I think we begin trying to put things together and draw some initial possible scenarios about who might be involved and why.

SO: I’m all for that. We absolutely KNOW that Dawes Johnson is involved. He doubtlessly got mad at me for firing him and blames me rather than himself for losing his job. Then he transferred that blame to you, Bret, also since he thinks you took his job and what better way to get back at both of us than creating problems for the program.

BV: Very true. And I’m going to throw in another possible participant, someone we have never mentioned. Another guy fired from the program. Kevin Gebbers. I hired Kevin as my 3rd assistant and let him go after a single year. While I sort of doubt he is involved, since Dawes Johnson is, Dawes could have spread his hatred to Kevin also and pulled him into this.

SO: Could be. Worth considering, at least. Oh, and how about Dawes 2nd assistant coach, Bret.

BV: Damn! Yeah, I forgot about him. While I got rid of Dawes other assistants cleanly and immediately, I sort of screwed up with Sig Vorchuck. I initially planned to keep him and move him up to 1st assistant. Then after telling him that, he made those ridiculously high salary demands that neither you nor I couldn’t accept. I told him that but he was intractible, so I ended up firing him. It was all pretty messy and a rookie coach mistake. He undoubtedly has it in for me (and maybe you also, Swede) and he’s got close tied to Dawes, so yeah, he could very possilbly be involved. Good thinking there, Swede.

SO: Son of a B__! Son of a B___!

AJ: What’s wrong Swede?

SO: Our discussion of coaches just got my mind working like it should have long ago. Remember I said that the name Carpelli rang a bell that I couldn’t answer? 

BV: Sure do, Swede.

SO: WELL? I feel like a fool. When I was interviewing for the head coaching job that you eventually got, I interviewed a guy who I has been a great high school coach. I was very interested in him and sort of floated the job to him before I even interviewed you, Bret. But the guy wanted complete autonomy with no interference from me or anyone at EWU. There was no way I could go along with that, so I passed on him and I bet he was pissed off.

BV: OK, but what has that to do with the Carpelli’s.

SO: Bret, his name was; Tony Carpelli.

BV and AJ in unison: WHOAAAA!

SO: So that might be the reason Corky Branigan sent us those newspaper clippings about the Carpelli’s.

BV: Yes, he might very well be the son of Florence Carpelli and the sister of Gina Carpelli Hauser.

SO: Son of a B___! Why didn’t I get this sooner. Tony Carpelli has a very distinctive look.

BV: What do you mean, Swede?

SO: Tony Carpelli…Tony Carpelli…Tony Caprelli looks…looks….looks…Damn! Tony Carpelli has a rat-face.

BV and AJ in unison yet again: The f____ you say!

BV: Yes, and remember that Don Watson said he overheard the guy on the phone saying “Ma” and then hearing the loud, shrill femaie voice booming over the guys phone. You think Florence Carpelli might have a shrill voice?
SO: I certainly don’t know her, but I’m guessing she does. There was that reference to “Hyena” also…maybe Florence Carpelli and her shrill voice is “Hyena”.

AJ: BINGO!

BV: And that puts a cloud over the head of Tony’s sister and Florence’s daughter, Gina Carpelli Hauser. The family could have brought her into this also. And then that places her husband, Chief of Police Matt Hauser in the spot light too. No wonder that Corky Branigan said not to trust anyone.

SO: (on his intercom) Nancy! Get in here!
Nancy Parker enters: Yes, Swede? 

SO: Nancy, I want you to get on the internet and do a quick internet search for Tony Carpelli. Find out where he went to high school and college and pull up the yearbooks for those schools. See if there is a big guy he seemed to hang out with.

Nancy: OK, I’m on it. (she exits)

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now