PointGuard

Who's Bret Vandergard and what's he done for us lately? [DDSCB3]

First National Bank of Eugene, Oregon

can only guess...well, truth be told, do his best to AVOID guessing how both his signature and his name wound up on a bank document in Eugene, Oregon. Nevertheless, the key for security box #4857 does in fact open the box.

Inside the box are several newspaper clippings. The first is from the society page of the Sentinel almost 25 years ago. It announces the nuptials of Cheney chief of police Matt Hauser (then Captain Hauser of the homicide division) to Gina Carpelli. Along with the article there is a photo of the wedding party. Although the caption does not name those in the photo other than the bride and groom, the maid of honor has a striking resemblance to Gina and us undoubtedly a close relative. probably her sister. Standing next to the groom is a short smiling rat faced guy, presumably the best man.

Also in the box are a couple of more recent clippings from the Wall Street Journal from about 6 years ago. The first reveals that the SSE has brought charges against the publicly traded company, CPI, Inc., stemming from undisclosed violations of the RICO statutes. 

The second is a brief article indicating that the SSE has dropped all charges against CPI, Inc. following the mysterious deaths of two of it's key witnesses.

The final article is an obituary from 4 year ago in USA Today, for Luigi Carpelli, former President and CEO of CPI, Inc. Mr. Carpelli apparently was lost at sea while journeying on a repositioning cruise to the Mediterranean with his wife, Florence. 

Finally there is a handwritten note that simply reads, "Denmark stinks of something rotten."

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums]

Feb 4: Spakane Sentinel

PARADE MARSHALS SET FOR EVENT

The Cheney Chamber of Commerce yesterday announced the Parade Marshals for next month's annual Lot O' Luck O' the Irish parade, the oldest such parade in the Pacific Northwest. The marshals this year will be local politician Christine Rozniak and famed national sports commentator Jim Rome. Through an office spokesperson, Mr. Rome expressed his extreme honor to have been chosen to "parade around up there in our nation's capital with some of my oldest and dearest friends,"

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forum]

Feb 5: Evening News KMEX Spokane

Late night news anchor Vivian Headenbras: "Repeating today's top story,, Eastern Washington University presiident Clement Morgan has been apprehended by federal authorities. Pending charges have not yet been released. Speaking under terms of strict anonymity. federal agent Lawrence Lawrence informed KMEX that the arrest came on the heels of a 3 months long investigation prompted by the office of Homeland Security and the Postmaster General. In an emergency meeting of the EWU board of regents, Dean Fred Partington has been named president pro temps."

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums]

EWU Campus Student Protest

A large group of EWU students surround a big bonfire on campus. Cardboard and wood boxes and an occasional wooden chair are thrown onto the bonfire. Hand-painted signs say “Hang Morgan”, “EWU Administrators Suck”, “No More Tuition Hikes”, “Partington Fartington, Let him go Rottington”, “Dump the EWU Admin Pogues”, “Students Yes, Admin No”, “Students Rule”, F*** the Adminstration”, “Stomp EWU Big Wigs”, “Admin Pigs Eats at the Troughs Paid for by Students”, “No More Bonuses for EWU Admin, “Student Power NOW”. 

Different students get on make-shift stage denouncing the university administration and hollering out their grievances. There are repeated chants of “Hey, Hey, Ho, Ho...EWU Admin Must All Go”. A stuffed effigy of President Morgan is hoisted up for hanging and then tossed into the blazing bonfire. Beer bottles litter the campus and pot smoke lingers heavily in the frigid February Eastern Washington air. 

A few wary faces can be seen in the darkened windows of the Admin Building, wondering what might happen next. The Admin Building doors are blocked by a cordon of heavily armed police officers. Campus police stand by nervously watching and taking pictures of the protesters. Students snarl at the campus police officers. The Cheney PD is brought to campus in the event the students must be physically dispersed. Police vehicles sit with lights flashing. A police helicopter circles above. Two fire trucks idle near the protest. Occasional sirens can be heard in the background.

A large figure mounts the student protest stage and castigates not only the EWU administration but also the sports coaching staffs. Campus police quickly recognize the person and hone their cameras on him as he gesticulates with a middle finger. Basketball players are now known quite well since the team is winning. 6'7", 218 pound Terence Hillier presents a towering figure as he screams his anger. Obviously having drunk far too much beer, he ends his diatribe with "Down with the EWU Administration! And just Who's Bret Vandergard and What's he done for us lately?"

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director

TO: Bret, what’s this I hear about you leaving the team and driving off on your own while in Oregon?

BV: I didn’t tell you, Swede, but I got an overnight letter which provided information that allowed me to check out what was in the safe deposit box at the First National Bank in Eugene. Since we were in Portland for the game, I just drove the 3 hours down I-5 to Eugene.

TO: You did WHAT? You took NO ONE with you? What they hell’s the matter with you Bret? I hire two body guards and you just go merrily off on your own? God damn it!

BV: Swede, take a deep breath and sit down. No need getting your heart racing. I got down there and back safely in one piece.

TO: Yeah, yeah, yeah. But you COULD have not come back at all, Bret. You know what happened in Tacoma when you went to visit Don Watson. Damn it to hell, Bret, don’t take needless chances. I’m paying these two goons to protect you and them sitting on their fat asses while you go off tilting at windmills on your own is just plain freakin’ dumb.

BV: OK, I hear you loud and clear, Swede. But do you want to know what I found in the safe deposit box?

TO: I guess it wasn’t the Queen’s Jewels. And fortunately, at least this time, it wasn't your jewels either.

BV: (Slowly extracting a manila envelope from inside his coat). Take a look at these, Swede.

TO: Carefully reviews the newspaper clippings, before saying: “Kee-rist, Bret. Who are we dealing with here? The Riddler from Batman? This whole thing just keeps winding around and around like we are lost in a corn maze.

BV: Well, he does seem to like riddles, word games and tipping us off with vague clues. But I don’t perceive him as the villain of this piece. I think its Corky Branigan or someone he knows and trusts.

TO: (Snorting). Corky F’ing Branigan. That guy disappeared months ago. If it’s him, why the hell doesn’t he just let us know he’s still alive and has information we need to know?

BV: There’s no way I can answer that question, Swede. I’m still as confused as you are about this whole damned thing.

TO: Yesterday, we hear that Jim Rome is coming here like the king of Cheney, this morning we find out our esteemed college president has been taken into custody by the feds, this afternoon we get a dean named as President Pro Temps who was the same guy our now-ex-president appointed to investigate you and the program, all afternoon and night we have a bunch of damned students shouting to take down the administration, and tonight you spring this on me.

BV: I’m sorry, Swede. I know you’re under pressure. I really didn’t want to bring this to you, but you’re the only person I can talk with about this. I haven’t got any clue what all this means yet, but take a look at this picture of the wedding party, Swede. See the guy who is probably the best man. What’s he look like to you?

TO: A freakin’ rat.

BV: Yes, and didn’t Tony the Tuna mention that the guy that he chased in Tacoma had a rat-face?

TO: Damn! That’s right! Hey, I think we should have Tony the Tuna look at this picture. I know you don’t want to bring anyone else into this, but Tony is so dumb that he couldn’t put 2 and 2 together and get 4, so he’s not going to connect this picture to anything. But he does remember faces.

BV: Hmmm...yeah, Swede, I think you’ve got a point there. And not only that, but my players have said a rat-faced guy came onto the court and got into their faces before last year’s conference tournament championship game. Why not give Tony a call and get him in here. But we don’t answer any questions he might have about this.

TO: (Nearly leaping out of his chair) God damn it, Bret! What do you think I am? Some god-damned simpleton! I bring you here to EWU and you bring this circle-jerk of a farce with you. And then you have the nerve to think I’m going to let Tony the Tuna in on what’s going on? Bret...what have you done for me lately...except, except, except...(his voice trails off and his complexion pales)

BV: Swede, Swede! (Grabbling Swede by the arm and lowering him back into his chair).

TO: (Making feeble gesturing with his hand toward his sports coat and weakly saying...”my pocket”)

BV: (Rushes to Swede’s sports jacket on the hook on the side of his office, quickly rummages through the jacket’s pockets, extracts a small bottle of pills, opens the bottle and drops one pill into his palm). Here, Swede, take this (pushing it into Swede’s mouth and under his tongue).

TO: (As his color returns, his breathing becomes less strained, and he stops shaking)...Thanks Bret. 

BV: I’ll call 911.

TO: The hell you will. That’s what those pills are for. Just let me catch my breath and I will call Tony the Tuna to take a look at this picture.

Tony the Tuna (later that night in Swede’s office)

Uhh, well I don’ts know nobody in that picture. But hey, this guy over here...the little guy with the rat face. He sorta reminds me of that creep who was by our car in Tacoma and who I chased. Only this guy in the picture is younger, so’s I’m not sure he’s the same guy. 

I wish I hadda caught that bastard when I chased him. Might have saved me a ride back to Cheney on the dog bus, you know the one with the real long dog running fast on the side of the bus. I don’ts fit well into those seats.

Still in Swede's office

(after Tony looks at the photo):

Swede: Wait a second. Let me see that photo again. Hmm....hmm...hmmm...I'll be damned if he doesn't look vaguely familiar to me too. Wish I could see what the guy you chased looked like. I don't suppose you could draw me a picture could ya? "sigh". (starts to put aside the news clippiing, then stops). Wait. it says the bride's name was Carpelli. Where have I heard that name before? Damn it I'm getting too old for this crap. Damn memory isn't what it used to be.

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forum]

Assistant Coaches, Jamal Smith, Austin Nathaniel and Larry Montgomery

JS: I know I’m the strictest disciplinarian on this entire staff, but it sounds like you all feel Hillier’s wings need to be clipped. So we’re all agreed that Hillier needs to be disciplined for what he said during the student protest?

AN: Yes, the guy went too far. That video of him made us all looks like schmucks. If it were me I’d suspend him the rest of the season. We can get along fine without him anyway. At the least Coach V needs to suspend him for a couple games.

LM: He’s been having problems with teammates anyway, so this is just another nail in his coffin.

JS: OK, let’s go talk with Coach V then.

JS: (Knocking on Coach V’s door)…Hey Bret, can we talk with you a few minutes?

BV: Sure, come in my office.

(The 3 assistants lay out their case against Terence Hillier and tell Coach Vandergard that they feel he needs to come down hard on Hillier.)

BV: (He rises out of his chair, turning his back to them and ponders the situation. Finally he turns back around and says as he looks into the faces of each of his assistants) Yes, I agree that Terence made a fool of himself out there. But look, there were all kinds of students out there saying any manner of things, some making sense, others being foolish. To be honest, I’m less concerned about Terence riding me and the entire coaching staff than him being all boozed up. But he’s a good kid over all. He’s got a good personality. Yeah, I know he’s had some recent problems with teammates, especially Delawn West, but he’s a hard worker. He’s just upset his minutes have been reduced this year and holds other players responsible. I think that is better handled by my counseling him. And I don’t want to get into censoring students for what they say during a protest.

AN: But, there’s no excuse for one of our players reaming us in public.

BV: I don’t think anyone other than us even remembers that. With as much as Terence probably drank, HE probably doesn’t even remember. He just got carried away with the overall student frenzy and let his frustrations get the best of him. He’s only 20 years old. I’m sure we all did a few things when we were 20 that we now realize were imprudent (or worse). I appreciate your concern and that you've expressed your feelings to me. But I’m not going to suspend him. I WILL talk with him about his drinking and also the need to keep his frustrations in check and to get along better with his teammates. Now let’s all just focus on getting this team prepared to win the next game.

Excerpts from play-by-play broadcast on KSPK Radio

Game #23, Feb. 8, 2015: North Dakota Fightin’ Sioux (12-10, 6-5) at Eastern Washington Eagles (15-7, 8-3)

Hey there Eagles sports fans. I’m Ryan Vaughan and I’m here with Jerry Broadstone as we bring you tonights game against the North Dakota Fightin’ Sioux. The stands are full of EWU students festooned with tshirts, hats, and painted faces disparaging the school’s administration.

Eastern Washington beat the Fightin’ Sioux by a score of 64-58 earlier this year. It was a tough game, but a satisfying win for the Eagles who lost to North Dakota in last year’s conference tournament championship game. Since that loss in this year’s conference opener, North Dakota has played decent ball though. They get good production throughout their starting lineup, but C Andrew Everett is their go-to guy.

For the Eagles tonight, Delawn West will be starting at the 2 position in place of injured Shawn Jackson. Jackson is still nursing a sore back, but is suited up. Coach Vandergard has indicated that Jackson will get playing time and they’ll see how the back holds up for him. West gives the Eagles some real height outside though and has shown good offensive production occasionally.
With 18:17 on the clock, Delawn West picks up his 2nd personal. That will bring Shawn Jackson into the game much earlier than the Eagles’ coaching staff planned. Vandergard is up off the bench jawing away at the zebras already...it might be a long night.
Jackson makes his 2nd straight pass into the hands of a Fightin’ Sioux player who flies down court and stuffs the ball to give North Dakota an 8-6 lead. Vandergard signals to his players to settle down.
Everett puts up a shot from under the basket that drops in and he’s fouled by Michael Taylor. That’s Taylor’s 2nd foul and Joseph Palmer returns to take his spot. The referee gives Eagles' coach, Vandergard, a stern look. Vandergard must have expressed his feelings about that foul a bit strongly. 

Everett goes to the line...and he sinks the free throw putting the Eagles behind 14-8. Thus far Everett and PF Rod Graham each have 7 points so the two players have accounted for all of the points for North Dakota.
After trailing 19-10 with just 8 minutes to play in the half, the Eagles mounted enough of a comeback to go to the locker room with just a 27-23 deficit and the chance to overcome North Dakota in the 2nd half if they can get their turnovers and fouling under control. At the half 3 Eagles’ players (Shawn Jackson, Joseph Palmer and Terence Hillier) share to scoring honors with 6 points apiece. But Andrew Everett has scored 10 points and pulled down 5 rebounds for North Dakota.
With just under 18 minutes to play in the second half North Dakota opens a 10 point lead at 34-24. The Fightin' Sioux are taking away Eastern Washington's home court advantage.
Joseph Palmer takes a pass along the right hand baseline, works he way to the basket and muscles up a shot. The shot fails to drop but he was fouled on the play. Palmer hits both shots to cut the lead to 34-31 with 15:37 to play. That’s 11 points for Palmer.
North Dakota patiently works the ball around outside. Everett’s pass is intercepted by Tim Dove. Dove shoots the outlet pass to Joe Blackwell who streaks down the court and throws down a jam to make it 34-33. Time out, North Dakota!
West’s shot is off the rim. Hillier grabs the board and feeds it right back out to West who steps outside his man and puts up a shot that rattles around but falls to give Eastern Washington a 40-39 lead with 11:43 remaining.
The long 3 by Shawn Jackson makes the score 48-44 in favor of the Eagles.

North Dakota works the ball around the perimeter. Palmer steals an errant North Dakota pass meant for Everett. Palmer quickly sends the ball up court to Michael Taylor and Taylor slams down a shot to put the Eagles ahead 50-44 with about 6 minutes left to play. Reese Court is jumping.
Blackwell takes the pass and dumps it into Terence Hillier. Hillier slides by his man and drives to the bucket. He lays it up to put Eastern up 56-52 with 3:37 remaining. That’s Hillier’s 10th point. Someone must have given him a jolt for tonight’s game.
The Eagles work the ball inside and out, but can’t find a free man. Ervin Smith surveys the defense then feeds it out to Tim Dove who take a long 3…and it’s IN! The Eagles lead 59-53. North Dakota’s ball with 2:46 to play. 

North Dakota takes their time. The ball comes into Bohm, he turns and puts up a shot over the head of Palmer. The shot drops and he was fouled. That’s Palmer’s 4th personal. Palmer expresses his displeasure but cooler heads prevail. Bohm toes the line and drops in the foul shot to make it 59-56 with just 2:24 to go.
With the score 61-59, the Eagles work down the shot clock. Davis out to Dove who brings it back into Davis. 2 seconds on the shot clock. Davis forces up a shot that rims out. Davis grabs his own rebound and puts it right back up and in to give the Eagles a 4 point lead with 48 seconds left. North Dakota takes a time out. Eagles players and coaching staff pound on Davis back congratulating him for his second effort.

Now's the time to head on over to Springfield Ford in Cheney. They're having their Valentines Day Sale this week. No better time to buy your honey a new car than now. Great deals on all models and financing offers you just won't believe. Tell Bud Springfield that Ryan and Jerry sent you and you'll get an extra bonus.
Back in play...Eastern Washington employs a full court press, but North Dakota is able to break it. Jermaine Ilver brings it across midcourt and immediately fires up a 3 that is off the mark. Joe Blackwell rebounds and feeds it to Tim Dove who brings it up court. He’s fouled by North Dakota. The Eagles inbound and are fouled again, but that’s just 5 team fouls against the Fightin’ Sioux. The refs piling on of fouls against Eastern Washington while calling few against North Dakota has come back to haunt the Fightin’ Sioux. Another quick foul. Jackson inbounds to Dove who is fouled yet again and with 32 seconds on the clock, he will finally go to the line. Swish. Swish. Dove gives Eastern Washington a 65-59 lead.

North Dakota can’t get off a quick shot as the Eagles tighten their defense. The ball goes into Everett. He tosses it out to Joe Nurse on the left wing. Nurse drills the 3 and its 65-62 with 15 seconds to go. A long inbounds pass to Dove who quickly gets beyond midcourt trying to avoid the foul. He passes to his left to Jackson but it’s off Jackson’s hands and out of play. The home crowd groans. But…there was a whistle on the play. Jackson was fouled just as he attempted to catch the pass. The Eagles get a big break. Shawn Jackson will go to the line with 6 seconds on the clock for a one-and-one. He needs this first one to ice the game. It’s up….and IN! Now the bonus shot and he drops that one through the silks also. The Eagles escape with a narrow victory. 
The difference in this game were the hot hands of the Eagles who hit 53% of their FG attempts. That overrode Andrew Everett’s 18 points and North Dakota scoring more points from the foul line. 

Even though the Eagles won both contests against North Dakota, both games were extremely close and I am sure that Eastern Washington’s coaching staff is hoping to avoid a 3rd meeting in the conference tournament. 

Tonight’s win coupled with Idaho’s loss at Montana State earlier today, pops Eastern Washington up into sole possession of 1st place in the Big Sky Conference. Eastern Washington’s fans go home mighty happy tonight.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (16-7, 9-3, 1st place)-67, North Dakota-62

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SG Shawn Jackson-11 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal; C Joseph Palmer-11 pts, 6 reb, 2 assists, 3 steals; SF Terence Hillier-10 pts, 4 reb.

Player of the Game: SG Shawn Jackson-11 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal.

Bret Vandergard’s office after the game against North Dakota

Swede Olaffson walks in:

Hey Coach, great win tonight! Bit too exciting for my old ticker, but loved it nonetheless. That was a huge victory for us. The crowd went wild. And hopefully it will help mollify the students and stop their damned protesting.

You know, I still haven’t been able to get the Carpelli name out of my mind. I’ve been mulling it over ever since we were with Tony the Tuna and looking at the newspaper clipping. But damn! Ever since my heart attack I’ve been having problems quickly recalling things. I think some synapses got muddled. I definitely WILL remember the Carpelli connection though…it’s just going to take me a little more time I guess.

Now get out of here and celebrate...you're the #1 team in the Big Sky.

Swede's bedroom 2:45 am

Swede wakes up with a start, Half awake and fumbling for the phone he finally calls Bret's home phone.

BV: (half asleep) don't wanna go to school today, ma!
TO: Bret wake up, I know who is causing all the trouble for us!
BV: wha? whozzat?
TO: John Carpelli, head coach at Kentucky, that cheating sumabitch!
BV: Swede? That's Calpari, John Calpari.
TO: Who's that?
BV: The head coach at Kentucky.
TO: Then who's John Carpelli?
BV; I have no idea.
TO: Dammit, Bret! Next time before you wake me up at this hour make sure you've got your facts straight! (slams down phone)

[Copied from posting by CoachC in the Wolverine Studios forum]

Austin Nathaniel, 2nd Assistant Coach

Game #24, Feb. 11, 2015: Eastern Washington Eagles (16-7, 9-3) at Sacramento State Hornets (8-15, 6-6)

Playing on the friendly confines of Reese Court, Eastern Washington easily prevailed 62-49 earlier this season. While they’ve played horribly on the road, the Hornets have acquitted themselves well at home, winning 6 of 9 home contests. The Eagles are riding a 6-game win streak coming into tonight’s game, but Sac State has won all 5 of their conference home games. The Eagles will initially double up on SG Noel Johnson and also try to control the inside game.

Sacramento State showed why playing at home is good. They hit their first 6 shots (including 2 from 3 point distance) as well as getting repeated foul calls in their favor and they led 21-9 with 12:13 to play in the first half. The rest of the half was no better for us. The Hornets hit 83% of their shots (including 67% of their 3’s), hit 88% of their FT’s, and out-rebounded us 9-4. Even though we double-teamed him, SG Noel Johnson scored 15 points for Sacramento State and they left the court with a huge 48-30 advantage. Worst of all were down so much after hitting 53% of our shots. Tim Dove was our leading scorer with 8 points.

Midway through the 2nd half we mounted a comeback but it was gradual rather than thunderous. We cut their lead to 7 points with about 8 minutes remaining. But no matter what we did from there on, we could not shave more points of the Hornets’ lead. The loss tumbled us back down into a tie for the conference lead.

We knocked down 49% of our shots, but Sacramento State hit a crazy 69% of their FG attempts. The Hornets also hit 83% of their FT’s. And we simply could not stop Noel Johnson.

Final Score: Sacramento State-80, Eastern Washington (16-8, 9-4, 1st place tie)-68.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Joseph Palmer-11 pts, 5 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal; PG Tim Dove-11 pts, 1 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: Sacramento State’s SG Noel Johnson-25 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals.

Bubble Watch: Idaho’s RPI ranking is 104 and ours Is 76. Both teams have identical season and conference records. But Idaho is #60 on the Who’s In list and we are neither on the Who’s In or the Who’s Out list. I post that in the locker room, hoping it will light a fire under our guys for our upcoming game against Idaho.

(Swede is sitting in his living room watching the latest thrilling episode of “Dancing With The Stars”)

(Phone rings)

TO: Damn! Just when they were gonna announce who was gonna get their ass kicked off this week. (answers phone)

TO: SPEAK!

MM: Hey Mr. Olaffson, this is Malcolm the Marauder. I needs your help. I was just doing my job over at Bret’s house tonight. You knows watching what was going on outside. Anyways, I noticed this dark car drive by real slow like. The windows were dark so’s I couldn’t make out who might be in it. I crept around to the big bushes of the house next door so’s I could look better. It’s March in Cheney so’s you gotta knows I was freezing my ass off. Anyways, this car drove by again and again...each time real slow and almost stopping. I finally’s was able to see there were two guys in the car, but those dark windows kept me from being able to identify’s them. I finally’s decided that the next time they drives by I’m gonna go out there and confronts them. But then, a cop car comes up the street. I figure’s well, maybe they’re checking out that car also. But they stops and gets out and shines their flashlights around. Finally one of them shines the light in the very bush I’m hiding in and sees me. Both of them comes over and you knows what? They arrests me for being a peeping tom. I guess the woman next door must have called them. Hey, you knows I’m no peeping tom...trust me, I never saw her takes her blouse off. Anyways, they gots me down at the police station and I needs for you to talks to the sergeant here and vouch for me that I was hired by you and was just doings what you wanted me to do. 

TO: Damn it, Malcolm, you went on too long! I missed the announcement of who got booted outta the Dancing program. OK, OK, Malcolm. Put the sergeant on the line.

Another voice comes on the line: This is Sergeant Riley. Who is this?

TO: Hello Sergeant. This is Swede Olaffson, the AD at EWU.

Riley: Oh, hello Swede. Sure I know you. So what’s up with this guy here?

TO: Sergeant, he’s OK. I hired him to do some security work for the athletic department. Tonight he was just doing as he was told and I guess he saw something suspicious and was using the bush to get closer to the street so he could check it more closely.

Riley: Well, since it’s you, I’m going to accept that and let this guy go. But be sure he doesn’t go creeping around anyone else’s bushes.

TO: Sure, Sergeant. While Malcolm was talking to me, you didn’t happen to catch the end of Dancing With the Stars did you and see who was tossed off? 

Riley: You damned right I was! It was that 4th rate actor guy who none of have ever heard of who doesn’t know his left foot from his right foot and who is getting close to the official age of senility. You know, the guy with the hot woman professional...err, dancer I mean. I don’t know his name, but he broke down and cried when they announced he was done on the show. Real theater!

Michael Jackson, parent of player Shawn Jackson

Game #25, Feb. 15, 2015: Idaho Vandals (16-8, 9-4) at Eastern Washington Eagles (16-8, 9-4)

The Vandals ripped the Eagles in the earlier this season, 78-47. Coach V didn’t prepare the team adequately for that game and they were completely embarrassed by Idaho. My son Shawn says the team really wants to beat the Vandals to regain a measure of respect (and regain sole possession of 1st place in the conference). I just hope Coach V has figured out how to compete with Idaho this time.

Reese Court is packed with our fans but also with a large contingent from nearby Idaho. It’s raucous in here even before the game begins as fans from both teams try to intimidate their counterparts. Shawn is completely recovered from his recent back pain, but my boy played well even when he was experiencing the pain. Even though Coach V took him out of the starting lineup a couple games ago, Shawn showed his abilities when he came in off the bench and played just about as much as he normally does and led the team in scoring. He was named the Player of the Game for that performance. Coach V just needs to unleash him and the team would benefit.

The rotten refs took Shawn out of the game after just 2-1/2 minutes with a bad call charging him with an offensive foul that was his 2nd personal. Brian Dearman came off the bench to score a quick 6 points and pull us ahead at 14-8 with 13 minutes left in the first half. But Idaho rallied to take a 4 point lead. Shawn came back into the game with about 6 minutes left in the half and hit a quick 3 and then two free throws to cut the Vandals’ lead to 27-26. He then forced the guy he was defending to travel. He then hit a jumper to put the Eagles on top. Later he drove the lane and put up reverse layup to give us a 2 point lead. The half ended with the Eagles on top 36-33. Shawn (in just 9 minutes of court time) and Brian Dearman both had 9 points to lead our scoring.

The two teams slugged it out evenly for 3-4 minutes but then Shawn drove in for another successful layup and was fouled on the shot, converting the free throw to put Eastern Washington ahead 43-36. Sloppy play allowed Idaho to close within 3, but then Shawn hit another jumper to put us ahead 45-40 with 14 minutes remaining. The Eagles took advantage of a series of turnovers by Idaho to forge a 53-44 lead at the 9:20 mark. 

The Vandals closed to within 3 points but with a minute to play we led 61-55, but Idaho had control of the ball. The refs call us for a foul with 50 seconds left and Idaho converted both shots to cut our lead to 4. The Vandals purposely fouled Joseph Palmer who missed the front end of a 1-and-1. Then with 20 seconds left, the refs again tagged us with a foul, but Idaho hit just 1 of 2 to make the score 61-58. Idaho needed to foul but made a mistake by fouling my boy. Shawn sunk both shots. Idaho was left with a 5 point deficit with 12 seconds remaining. They hit a 3 but we ran out the final 3 seconds to win and move one game ahead of Idaho in the battle for 1st place in the Big Sky. The difference in this game (and this isn't just his father bragging): Shawn Jackson.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (17-8, 10-4, 1st place)-63, Idaho-61.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SG Shawn Jackson-16 pts, 3 reb, 3 assists, 1 steal; SF Joe Blackwell-12 pts, 5 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal; PF Cory Davis-12 pts, 2 reb, 2 steals; PF Brian Dearman-11 pts, 1 block.

Player of the Game: SG Shawn Jackson-16 pts, 3 reb, 3 assists, 1 steal.

Jamal Smith, 1st Asst Coach

Game #26, Feb. 18, 2015: Eastern Washington Eagles (17-8, 10-4) at Northern Colorado Bears (9-16, 6-8)

Our flight to Denver was late arriving due to bad weather in the Denver area. We boarded a charter bus for the 90 minute drive to Greeley, Colorado. We got about half way there and the bus suddenly lost power and the engine died. The driver checked things out but was unable to restart the bus. The blowing show meant there was no traffic to flag down for assistance. We were out in the middle of no-where and cell phone coverage was hampered by the inclement weather. By the time a call finally got through for help and a bus arrived to transfer the players and continue our journey, we were so late that we were in jeopardy of having to forfeit the game. Coach V was really upset and demanded the bus company let us know what caused the problem. The bus driver drove as fast as he could given the poor road conditions. In fact, there were times when I got concerned he was pushing it too hard, the bus would slide off the road, and we’d not make it at all. We finally got to Greeley and to the Northern Colorado’s Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion in the nick of time to avoid the forfeit.

We took the court with absolutely no warm up. Because of the bad weather the crowd was small which was fortunate since those who were there hooted us lustily for our tardiness.

Surprisingly though, the players didn’t rallied from being cold while waiting in the bus that had broken down, dressing hurriedly, and not getting any warmup time. We connected on our shots, but so did Northern Colorado and the score remained close with frequent ties and lead changes throughout the first half. But our 12 turnovers allowed the Bears to keep up with us and the score was tied at 40-40 at the halftime break. Joseph Palmer led our scoring with 10 points.

We jumped out quickly in the 2nd half and took a 7 point lead. But the Bears reeled us back in and by the midpoint the game was back to being a toss-up with the lead flipping frequently. Shawn Jackson who got into early foul trouble in the first half, picked up his 5th foul after playing just 9 minutes, but he did score 7 points in his short time on the court. The refs sent the Bears to the line frequently and they sank all but one of their FT attempts. With 11 seconds the Bears dropped in two more free throws to take a 76-74 lead. We called a time out and set up to isolate Delawn West. The play worked as designed and Delawn got free to drop in a 14 foot jumper to take us to overtime.

OT: Defense was the name of the game throughout the entire overtime period. We finally scored with 2:58 remaining, but Northern Colorado tied us when their center Anthony Grizzard used his hip to clear our defender and drop in a 6 footer. Then after a steal, Tim Dove drove and cleared the ball into the corner to Joe Blackwell, who put up a 3 that found its mark to put us ahead by 81-78 with 0:44 remaining. Northern Colorado tried to tie it with a 3 of their own, but it was off target. The Bears got the rebound and put it back up and in to cut our lead to 81-80. Northern Colorado fouled Robbie Taflinger who could only make one of two free throws. We applied a rock solid defense that prevented the Bears from getting a good shot. Their final attempt just before the buzzer barely missed after being tipped by Michael Taylor.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (18-8, 11-4, 1st place)-82, Northern Colorado-80 (OT).

Leading players for Eastern Washington: Delawn West-14 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 block; SF Joe Blackwell-13 pts, 3 reb, 3 assists, 3 steals; C Joseph Palmer-13 pts, 3 reb; PF Cory Davis-12 pts, 4 reb, 2 assists, 2 steals; PG Tim Dove-5 pts, 4 reb, 8 assists, 5 steals.

Player of the Game: SF Joe Blackwell-13 pts, 3 reb, 3 assists, 3 steals.

When I got word that we almost had to forfeit the game because of the bus breakdown, I immediately contacted the bus company to find out what had happened. It turns out they found a foreign substance in one of the two fuel tanks and thought it was sugar. Since that would have meant someone intentionally sabotaged the bus we were to take, I demanded that the company provide us with any video they had of the bus before it left their facility. They said they have a couple cameras in their yard and would check them for views of that bus and provide a copy to me. I hope they get it to me quickly. With all that’s been happening around here I just don’t trust anyone or anything anymore. Is that the definition of paranoia?

(Hollering toward the adjacent office of his secretary): "Nancy! If a package comes in for me from Colorado, make sure I get it RIGHT AWAY!"

Potato-Pickin’-Paul, “Eagle Flight” blog

Game #27, Feb. 25, 2015: Weber State Wildcats (17-9, 9-6) at Eastern Washington Eagles (18-8, 11-4) 

The Wildcats beat the Eagles earlier this season, 77-65. PG Ed Jones burned EWU for 22 in that game and is averaging 16.5 ppg this season while connecting on 47% of his FG attempts and 52% of his 3’s. The Eagles need to contain him tonight. Weber State has won their last 3 games and they’re contending for 2nd place in the conference.

Coach Vandergard started an all-senior lineup in the final home game of the season. Trailing 5-1, he brought in his regular starters after 2 minutes of play. The Wildcats’ Ed Jones scored their first 8 points, but we finally tied the game at 11-11 with 13-1/2 minutes left in the half. Weber State was hot from outside the arc and scored the next 9 points. In the half, the Wildcats dropped in 8 from 3-point land and simply out-played us in all aspects of the game. We trailed 48-33 at the half. Coach V jumped all over the guys at the half about their defense. Our leading scorer was Cory Davis with 12 points. 3 guards for Weber State combined for 32 points.

The second half was a continuing disaster. Since they were already assured of winning the Big Sky, the team played as if they didn’t care.

The Eagles have shown a basic inconsistency that calls into question whether they can string 3 good games together in the Big Sky Tournament against the best teams in the conference. If they don’t there will be no NCAA appearance.

Final Score: Weber State-77, Eastern Washington (18-9, 11-5, 1st place)—57.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PF Cory Davis-18 pts, 5 reb; SF Delawn West-14 pts, 2 reb, 1 steal; C Joseph Palmer-11 pts, 2 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block.

Player of the Game: Weber State’s SG Sam Ireland-22 pts, 1 assist, 1 steal.

Odie Joseph fell hard on his hip but we have enough time off that he should be ready for tournament play.

Big Sky Conference Tournament—Day 1

Montana State (8-19, 5-11) vs North Dakota (15-12, 9-7) [After trailing by 6 at the half, Montana State came back in the 2nd half to pull off an upset victory. Montana State-64, North Dakota-61. PoG: Montana State PF Questin Knight-20 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block.]

Northern Arizona (7-20, 5-11) vs Sacramento State (11-16, 9-7) [sacramento State led by 4 at the half, but Northern Arizona roared back to win over favored Sac State. Northern Arizona-63, Sacramento State-58. PoG: Northern Arizona PG Shannon Isenhour-19 pts, 6 reb, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block. Sacramento State PF Ben Williamson-18 pts, 9 reb.]

Portland State (10-17, 6-10) vs Southern University (14-13, 8-8) [southern Utah held an 18 point lead at the half and coasted to an easy win. Southern Utah-69, Portland State-53. PoG: Southern Utah C David Thomas-20 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal.]

Northern Colorado (9-18, 6-10) vs Montana (14-13, 8-8) [Northern Colorado held a small lead throughout most of the 1st half and then quickly built a 20 point lead in the 2nd half before Montana State reduced the difference late in the game. Northern Colorado-69, Montana-59. PoG: Northern Colorado SG Robert jackson-13 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block.]

3 of the 4 games were won by lower seeds. 

Bye: Eastern Washington, Idaho, Weber State, Idaho State

Fed Ex overnight delivery to Bret whille at the tourney

note from Nancy: Is this what you were looking for Bret? It came this morning.

the envelope contains a flash drive.

[Copied from posting by CoachC in the Wolverine Studios forums]

Goes to his hotel door and Bret Vandergard is standing there. Bret extends his hand to place a FedEx envelope in Swede’s hand, saying “Swede, I just had this delivered to me. I have to focus on our tournament game and can’t check on what's on this and let it divert my attention from what’s most important right now. Please look it over. We can discuss it later if there's anything on it that’s important.”

Swede: "Sure Bret, you just go and get the team ready to beat Northern Colorado."

(Swede closes the door and returns to his scotch and soda while firing up his computer to be able to play the flash drive.)

Swede's hotel room

Sure enough the flash drive contains surveillance video from the night of the bus incident and has a clear view of the bus. After fast-forwarding through several hours of footage, a man in a trench coat appears. He is wearing a floppy fedora low over his brow that hides his features...at first. He can clearly be seen pouring something into the gas tank of the bus. As he finishes, a gust of wind blows the hat off his head, and as he whirls around he, for a moment, looks directly into the security camera. Swede pauses the video and is able to zoom in. Although pixellated, Swede recognizes the face immediately.

"Oh, my God! I don't believe this. I've got to tell Bret."

[Copied from posting by CoachC in the Wolverine Studios forums]

Spokane Spokesman-Review article

Game #28, Mar. 4, 2015: Northern Colorado Bears (10-18, 6-10) vs Eastern Washington Eagles (18-9, 11-5)

Eastern Washington won both regular season games, 93-84 and 82-80 (OT).

The Bears out-hustled the Eagles early to take an 11-7 lead. Joseph Palmer scored the first 9 points for the Eagles. The score remained close until Eastern Washington took advantage of 5 straight turnovers by Northern Colorado to run off 11 unanswered points and take a 29-18 lead with 5-1/2 minutes left in the half. At the half, the Eagles led 38-31 due to controlling the boards (12-5) and a 10-7 turnover advantage. Joseph Palmer’s 9 points led the scoring for the Eagles.

Eastern Washington opened a big double digit lead and held onto it throughout most of the 2nd half. The Eagles out-rebounded the Bears 24-17 and forced Northern Colorado to make 23 turnovers.

Eagles’ coach Bret Vandergard said, “It took us a while to get going, but once we did the guys did a great job of building a lead and holding onto it.”

Final Score: Eastern Washington (19-9)-73, Northern Colorado-54.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF Joe Blackwell-15 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 3 steals; PG Tim Dove-13 pts, 4 reb, 3 assists, 1 steal; C Joseph Palmer-12 pts, 6 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals, 1 block; SF/SG Delawn West-11 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists, 4 steals.

Player of the Game: SF Joe Blackwell-15 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 3 steals.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now