PointGuard

Who's Bret Vandergard and what's he done for us lately? [DDSCB3]

Phone call to Swede's office, fielded by the assistant AD

"Bill Lewis, of the NCAA rules and violations committee. As you know, your school is currently the subject of a probe by our offices. As of yet, no cause for official charges have been found, but be aware the investigation is ongoing. For now, various law enforcement agencies have requested that we postpone our probe until their own investigations are complete, and we are complying. Have a good day!"

(Copied from posting by CoachC in the Wolverine Studios Forum)

Voice mail left on Bret's office phone:

"This is Detective Bernie Miller of the Cheney PD. Mr. ...err....*sounds of shuffling papers)...Mr. Vanderbret...sorry..Mr. VanderGARD, as you were one of the last people known to have seen Corky Brannigan during your post-game interview on the evening of Nov. 23rd, it's important that I speak with you at your earliest possible convenience to go over anything unusual you may have noticed. Thank you for your cooperation. I'd like to speak to you before the FEDS get here and tromp all over our jurisdiction. (obvious disdain in voice)*BEEP*"

"Field agent, Lawrence Lawrence of the FBI. Know of any good places to eat around here?"

"(Voice obviously disguised by a modulator) Mr. Olaffson?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Olaffson is not available. I'm the Assistant Athletic Director. How may I help you?"

"(CLICK)"

Voice mail left on Bret's office phone:

"Jim Rome, here, Mr. Vanderberger. How would you like to come on to my show for an interview? I'm a big fan of your work and we'd love to have you on the air to discuss the wonderful job you are doing up there in Eastern Washington. It's only only a short trip from DC to our studios. Hope to hear from you soon! Rome is burning!"

Detective Bernie Miller of the Cheney PD

BM: Mr. Vandergard, I appreciate your getting back to me so quickly. I really wanted to talk to you as early as possible about the disappearance of Corky Branigan.

BV: I’m very hopeful he surfaces soon so whatever I can do to help your investigation, I’m glad to do.

BM: How well do you know Mr. Branigan.

BV: I’ve talked with him a lot, but always in a professional role. He’s interviewed me several times both in person and by phone. These interviews were for his radio program. He’s also be the radio announcer for many of our games. I’ve always gotten along well with him.

BM: I understand you were interviewed by him on November 23, shortly before his disappearance. Is that correct?

BV: Yes, that was right after our game in Cleveland.

BM: Was there anything unusual about that interview or anything unusual about his demeanor?

BV: Not that I recognized. It was a typical interview. He did seem very interested in the relationship between our team and the Eagles Wings Fan Club and its president, Bud Springfield. I was sort of surprised by that, but just figured he was trying to find something to keep radio listeners staying tuned in to his broadcast.

BM: Hmmm…Bud Springfield, huh? His son was recently murdered. Do you know of any tie ins between either Bud Springfield or his son with Mr. Branigan?

BV: No, not at all, but that’s not something I typically would have knowledge of anyway. I know Bud Senior, but never met his son.

BM: Do you now anything about where Mr. Branigan may be?

BV: Uhh, no. I was very surprised that he didn’t return to Cheney after the game and I’m even more surprised and concerned that he still hasn’t shown up.

BM: Oh, we were very familiar with his son. Is there anything else about Mr. Branigan that I should know?

BV: Well, yes there is. There’s an audio file that was delivered to a reporter at the Spokane newspaper. The reporter played it for me and it sounds like Corky Branigan’s voice. In that recording, which the Spokane Police Department now has, Corky says that there is reason to believe that 2 or 3 of our players shaved points in last year’s Big Sky Tournament championship game. But the recording came to an abrupt end before he was able to say why he believed that may be the case. I’ve subsequently talked with all staff and players involved in our basketball program and all said they have absolutely no knowledge of that at all. The school is investigating this seriously and the NCAA has opened an investigation as well.

BM: Do you think that this conversation had anything to do with Mr. Branigan’s disappearance?

BV: I have no idea about that.

BM: OK, I appreciate your time, Mr. Vandergard. I might need to talk with you more in the future. 

Carl Quagmire, Assistant Athletic Director:

CQ: Hey Bret, I’m getting all sorts of strange calls, including from the FBI.

BV: The FBI? Why are they involved here? I don’t see anything that would merit their involvement.

CQ: I didn’t ask any questions. I’ve never wanted to piss off the FBI. I wish Swede was back to handle all this stuff.

Christine Rozniak, City Council member and realtor

CR: You sure seem to have created some ripples at EWU, Bret.

BV: Ripples? More like tsunami waves. But they aren’t of my doing.

CR: How are you going to handle this mess?

BV: I don’t know, Christine. I just have to take one day at a time.

CR: I’d really like to help you, Bret. But you didn’t seem to be willing to help me in the last election. I guess we all need to learn that there are consequences to our actions…or inactions.

Nancy Parker, Athletic Department Secretary:

NP: Thanks for picking me up to get into work, Bret.

BV: Happy to do it, Nancy.

NP: This is the 3rd day this past week that I’ve gone out to my car and found a flat tire. 

BV: Three times in one week???? That just doesn’t happen, Nancy.

NP: I agree. Each time it looks like someone just used an icepick on a tire. And today there was a note on my windshield.

BV: What did the note say?

NP: Just one word and it doesn’t make any sense. The word was “consequences”. Sort of scary actually. I just couldn’t handle yet another problem this morning, so I really do appreciate your coming to my rescue to get me into work. I’ll deal with the flat tire when I get home.

Christine Rozniak, City Council member and realtor

BV: I’m surprised to see you stop by Christine after what you said the last time we were together.

CR: Oh you know me, Bret. I don’t hold grudges.

BV: Is that so? Toward the end of our last conversation, didn’t you say something about “consequences”? What did you mean by that.

CR: Don’t you believe in consequences, Bret? But I was probably just tired then.

BV: Hmmm, it was just an interesting injection of that word.

CR: (looking over at Bret’s home phone and changing the topic): Hey big guy, don’t you ever check your messages?

BV: Oh, to be honest, I hadn’t noticed it. Most people call me on my cell now so sometimes I forget to check my home phone. 

CR: It could be something important. I’ve heard some tidbits about things going on at the university involving you.

BV: I’m sure it isn’t anything important at all, but OK, let me check. (Listens to the message from Jim Rome and presents the one-finger salute before unceremoniously erasing the message).

CR: Why’d you do that? It seems like Jim Rome wants to mend fences with you. Why not go on his show?

BV: Christine! You’ve gotta be kidding! You think that guy really likes me now? You think he wants to help me out in some way? I’d say that would be like me floundering in the middle of the ocean, struggling to stay afloat, and Jim Rome coming up to me in a boat and saying “Here, grab this life preserver I’m throwing to you”, and grabbing it to find it’s really an anchor.

CR: Ohhh. And now who is it that holds grudges? I think you should think his offer over. Getting some national exposure could be very good for your career.

At Bret's home

In the middle of a growing pile of unopened mail sitting on Bret's dining room table is an envelope with no return address but postmarked Puget Sound.

(Copied from posting by CoachC  in the Wolverine Studio  Forum)

2 AM Swede's Hospital Room

Someone in scrubs and a surgical mask creeps into the room unseen and writes the word "CONSEQUENCES" across Swede's chart.

(Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios Forums)

Bret's office 9 am

Nancy buzzes Bret to tell him there is a man there that says he has urgent business with him. A short bespectacled man wearing an Armani suit enters the office and tells Bret that he is with the law firm Dewey, Dewey, and Dwyer and has been authorized to deliver Bret a package. He places a padded envelope on Bret's desk and quickly leaves before Bret can ask any questions.

(Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios Forums)

Dean Fred Partington (chairman of the EWU investigative committee):

FP: Hello, President Morgan, I just got a call from Coach Vandergard. He says he’s received an envelope at his home and a package at his office that are as of yet unopened but received under very unusual circumstances. He said he’s getting ready for tonight’s game but that he’d like me to come over to his office after the game, so the two items can be opened for my review together with him.

CM: By all means check it out as soon as you can and let me know the results. How did you interpret his comments?

FP: Yes sir, I’ll do that and let you know as soon as I’ve reviewed the items. He still seems to be mystified by all that’s occurring and confused as to how to proceed. He said this entire situation has kept him from preparing as he normally would for a game and he’s had to turn over all practices to his assistant coaches. But he said since he missed the team’s last game, he wants to focus for a few hours on tonight’s game and be on the bench with the team. That’s why he wanted to wait til after the game to check out the items.

Administraitive Wing of Athletic Building during pregame warmups

Someone dressed in black enters the building via a window and creeps towards Bret's office....

(Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios Forum)

Joseph Palmer, player:

Game #6, Dec. 3, 2014: Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (5-0) atEastern Washington Eagles (3-2)

Pregame comments: 

In our first home game of the season, I need to control the Bulldogs big center, J. R. Dixon. While he’s just 6-9, he weighs 242 pounds and has been using that bulk to move inside and average 14.6 ppg, pull down his share of rebounds, and intimidate opposing players trying to score inside. SG Brad Blackshear was relatively quiet in the Bulldogs’ first 4 games but dropped in 18 in their last game against Texas Tech. Louisiana Tech is definitely the strongest team we’ve played thus far this year. They made it to the NIT last year and have a perfect record this year, including strong road wins against West Virginia and Texas Tech.

Coach V has been very pre-occupied but at least will be directing us from the bench tonight. But as captain, I’m feeling a lot of pressure to rally the guys.

SF Delawn West is dressing for tonight’s game, but is still bothered by his sprained toe and is will likely miss his 3rd straight game for us.

Game comments: 

Damn, trying to control Dixon, I pick up 2 fouls in the first 1 min and 40 seconds and go to the bench. We fall behind 8-0 before finally scoring. Our guys rally to score the next 10 points, as I’m screaming at them from my perch on the bench. I’m dying to get back on the court, but the coach keeps me cooling my heels. We hold the lead from thereon, but never by more than 6 points and finish the half ahead 30-28. SF Travis Dawson came off the bench to pump in 12 points to lead us offensively.

We come out with a new determination in the 2nd half and take a 21 point lead with 10-1/2 minutes to play. Fortunately the rest of the team plays well, because I sure didn’t, scoring 8 points but getting just 1 rebound and eventually fouling out. We play sloppily the final 5 minutes but never let the Bulldogs get closer than 12 points. We hit 55% of our shots but let Louisiana Tech can 52% of theirs. But for the first time this year we have a turnover advantage (20-11). 

Coach V congratulates us after the game and immediately leaves the locker room…strange and not like him at all.

The players celebrate wildly in the locker room...home cookin' is good.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (4-2)—80, Louisiana Tech (5-1)—65.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PG Tim Dove-17 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 2 steals; PF Robbie Taflinger-10 pts, 1 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal; SF Joe Blackwell-12 pts, 1 reb, 2 steals; SF Travis Dawson-12 pts, 2 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal; PF Cory Davis-6 pts, 6 reb.

Player of the Game: PG Tim Dove-17 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 2 steals.

J.R. Dixon scored 16 points, grabbed 5 rebounds and had 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 blocks.

FP: Sorry Coach, I wasn’t sure where to meet you.

BV: No problem.  Thanks for coming down here this late at night, Dean Partingon.

FP: Actually, to be honest, I’ve never been in the gym or the athletic building before.

BV: I guess there’s a first time for everything.  Don’t let the sweat smell get you down.

FP: So you have the items you received in your office?

BV: Yes, let’s head over to the athletic building and my office now.  I'm sure you're as curious as me as to what I received.

Nathaniel Austin, 2nd Asst Coach:

During the post-game celebration the players get a bit too rowdy and SF Joe Blackwell slips and falls in the locker room, spraining his wrist. The trainer says he’s likely to miss the next 2 or 3 games.

Obviously we are not ranked, but our RPI is now 31st best in the nation…probably a bit high since we haven’t played really talented teams, but it’s good for our egos during a stressful time.

As Fred and Bret enter the athletic building, they are halted by a campus cop. "I need to see some university ID, please."

(Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios Forum)

BV: What’s all this about?

FP: Oh, Steve Chamberlain, who is on our committee, must have decided to set up security. I wish he had said something to me about it though.

Cop: Gentlemen, your ID’s please.

FP: OK, but I’m Dean Partington. You should know me.

The cop remains impassive. Both men fumble for their wallets, finally extricating them and showing the campus cop their ID’s. He examines them closely, writes their names down on a log sheet and has them sign beside their names. He then says, “OK, you can enter. When you depart, I’ll need to log you out.”

They walk down the hall until they approach Coach Vandergard’s office. 

BV: Hmmm, I was sure I closed and locked my door, but it’s ajar.
They enter, turning on the light and are surprised to see things strewn around the office.

FP: I assume, Coach, that you didn’t leave your office in such a state?

BV: You’ve got that right, Dean. Apparently someone wanted something here. I’m guessing it has to do with the articles that were delivered to my home and to me at the athletic department office. 

Walking over to the whiteboard he uses to draw up plays, Coach V unclicks the marker pen holder attached to the whiteboard and opens it. 

BV: Heh! Whoever was looking didn’t go here. It’s fortunate I decided to hide the envelopes before I left for the game. 

FP: WELL DONE, Coach! Let's not waste time. Let's find out what's inside each one NOW....

The letter sent from Puget Sound reads:

"Dear Coach V,
I've heard about the problems at EWU, and my conscience has been gnawing at me lately to speak up. First of all, I wasn't entirely honest with you about my reasons for transferring last year, but it's a lot more than just that. I've wanted to talk to you but don't know how to go about it. Now that I'm playing for another school, I know that the NCAA has certain rules about contacting players from another team, and I wouldn't want to get you in trouble, because I really did like you, Coach. Plus, I'm afraid for my life. If are able to come up with some way for us to talk that would be safe for both of us, our coach is giving us 4 days off for Christmas in a few weeks, and maybe we could talk then. For now, I trust that you will keep this just between us. I don't mean to sound dramatic, Coach, but I'm trusting you with my life.
Sincerely, 
Don Watson"

He goes on to give Bret his contact information on campus.

Contents of the padded envelope:

The padded envelope contains another letter, plus a key clinks noisily to the desk when Bret removes it.

The letter reads:

"Bret,

I hope that you are alone when you are reading this. My attorney was given instructions to deliver this to you should I "go missing". If you are reading this, then that indeed has happened. And, in that case, I'm sure it is no surprise to you to hear that you have enemies, one in particular, but they may not be who you think they are. You are probably going to be tempted to take this letter to the police, but I'd strongly advise against it. You need to be VERY careful about who you trust, Bret. I do think you can trust Olaffson, at least, because your enemies are pretty much his enemies as well. Be careful, Bret.

Corky

P.S. Do you ever watch the Today Show?"

FP: How’d you get involved in all this intrigue and who did you cross, Coach?

BV: Heck if I know. I’m a basketball coach, not some cloak-and-dagger guy and I’ve been so busy with basketball, that I haven’t had too much interplay with anyone otherwise.

FP: This whole thing just gets murkier all the time.

BV: Yes, these letters make things things sound very ominous.

FP: As head of the committee investigating for the university, I’ll just take these letters and the key to include in the investigation and to keep President Morgan advised as well.

BV: NO! These letters were addressed to me. And they allude to issues that are out of the purview of your investigation into point-shaving. So, I don’t give you permission to take them. I need to think about what to do with them. 

FP: Now wait a minute, Vandergard. I know that President Morgan ordered you to work with us and do as we say.

BV: Look, Dean Partington. I agreed with him and have done as he asked, but that related to the point-shaving issues. These two missives delve into far deeper and possibly more sinister matters. They both come from people in danger in some way who thought they were communicating exclusively with me. So, not only will you not take these, I need your pledge that you will not share the contents in any way with anyone else…not the committee, not President Morgan, not the authorities, not your wife, no one. Doing otherwise might endanger at least two lives. So, Dean Partington, do I have your promise that you will not share this in any way?

FP: Coach, you’re asking me to do something that could jeopardize my position and may also put the university in a precarious situation.

BV: Come on, it’s quite obvious that there are a number of people in great jeopardy and unless you agree and remain quiet about this, the consequences could be on your shoulders and conscience.

FP: Hmmm. I don’t like it. I don’t like it at all. But alright, I will remain mum about this, at least for now.

BV: Thank you and I promise to continue working with the committee and providing any new information I get that is tied to the point-shaving allegation.

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director:

(Shortly after Bret Vandergard first views the contents of the two letters, he goes to the hospital to talk with Swede Olaffson.)

SO: Hey! Bret! Good to see you. I’m getting bored as hell in this hospital bed.

BV: You’re looking much better, Swede. Hopefully you are feeling better also.

SO: Yes, other than not being able to eat my fill of fried food.

BV: Swede, I hate to bother you while you’re in the hospital, but there are some things I need to talk over with you.

SO: Hell, I told ya I’m bored. And talking with you certainly isn’t going to be deleterious to my health. I am hopeful they release from here in a day or so anyway. Does what you have to say relate to this preposterous point-shaving malarky?

BV: No, Swede, I don’t think it does. It relates to more serious issues. And while the point-shaving allegation might in some way be tied into it, I think the point-shaving stuff is just a result of something of far greater concern.

SO: I’m listening.

BV: (Gives Swede some background and pulls from his pocket the two letters and the key and let’s Swede read the letters.)

SO: ____, this IS very serious, Bret. Now I know I need to get out of this germ-factory tomorrow. I need to work with you on this. You say that Dean Partington absolutely agreed to not tell anyone about these?

BV: Yes he did. And I guess both you and I need to start watching the Today Show.

Article in Easterner Online (student newspaper):

Game #7, Dec. 7, 2014: Fordham Rams (3-3) at Eastern Washington Eagles (4-2)

With Joe Blackwell out with an injury, Delawn West started at small forward for the Eagles as they hosted the Fordham Rams.

EWU’s shooting was spot-on early in the game and they jumped out to a 23-7 lead with 10:11 left in the half. When the half ended, the Eagles held a 52-30 advantage after hitting 70% of their shots and out-rebounding the Rams 15-7. Travis Dawson scored 13 points and Delawn West added 12 to lead EWU offensively.

While the Eagles cooled a bit in the 2nd half, they continued to expand their lead to as much as 34 points before letting Fordman close the score a little in the final minutes. Eastern Washington knocked down 60% of their FG attempts, 92% of their FT attempts, and dominated the boards 29-18.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (5-2)—90, Fordham (3-4)—65.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF Travis Dawson-17 pts, 2 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block; PG Tim Dove-14 pts, 5 assists, 1 steal; SF Delawn West-12 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal; C Joseph Palmer-10 pts, 3 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal; PF Cory Davis-8 pts, 5 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: SF Travis Dawson-17 pts, 2 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now