PointGuard

Who's Bret Vandergard and what's he done for us lately? [DDSCB3]

2 shady figures on a loading dock back of the Mall of the Americas....4 am

X: Psst! You there, Charlie?
Z: It's not Charlie.
X: Wha??? What happened to Charlie?
Z: Same thing that will happen to you if you don't deliver Brannigan to Hyena, Pronto! It'll make what happened to the Springfiled kid look like spring break in Cancun.

(Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios Forum)

[Note: Have had to put this temporarily on hold due to having a bunch of things to do (sometimes life actually does take precedence eek.gif ) plus having to take my computer into Fry's Electronics for warranty work and having the jerks at Fry's not do anything on it for over a week and now saying they have to send it out for the work to be done (I should have known better than to buy an extended warranty from Fry's).]

But...directly from the lips of Bret Vandergard, "I shall return."

Bret Vandergard is b-a-a-c-c-k-k!  As is my computer after a long 1-1/2 months.

Still busy though so the story might unfold a bit slowly.

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director:

Game #8, Dec. 10, 2014: Old Dominion Monarchs (4-3) at Eastern Washington Eagles (5-2)

Bret doesn’t know it and no one else does either, but I’ve hired two guys to keep tabs on him and provide protection, should he need it.  These guys are good, they blend in without anyone suspecting a thing.  One is here at the game tonight.  I see him in the crowd.  Bret is trying to continue his coaching duties as if nothing else is going on, but I know his mind at times has to be on the on-going saga.

The Monarchs come into tonight’s game sporting a big win against Stanford.  They have a good starting 5, but their bench is weak.

Tim Dove picked up 2 fouls in the first minute of the game.  Old Dominion came out firing and took an 18-4 lead in the first 6 minutes.  The Eagles chipped away at the lead and by the halftime trailed just 34-30.  Cory Davis led our scoring with 10 points.

The Eagles finally pulled into a tie at 40-40 with 12:09 remaining in the game.  With 8-1/2 minutes to go we took our first lead of the game at 46-45.  But the Monarchs recaptured the lead late and held on for the win.  The refs awarding of 10 more free throws to Old Dominion, on which they scored 8 more points at the line than we did ended up to be the difference in the game.

Final Score: Old Dominion (4-4)-58, Eastern Washington (5-3)-55. 

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PF Cory Davis-12 pts. 3 reb, 3 assists, 3 steals; C Joseph Palmer-8 pts, 5 reb.

Player of the Game: Old Dominion’s PF Alvin Jupiter-9 pts, 3 reb, 4 assists, 3 steals, 1 block.

Tim Dove, Player:
Game #9, Dec. 14, 2014: Eastern Washington Eagles (5-3) at UL-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns (7-1)

Coach V was livid after the loss at home against Old Dominion, particularly since we didn’t capitalize on our 2nd half comeback, but instead let it get away from us in the last few minutes of the game. He nearly killed us during practices, saying if we were going to lose at home, we damned-well better win on the road. We now find ourselves in Lafayette, Louisiana taking on the Ragin’ Cajuns of UL-Lafayette, who have surprised most everyone by winning 7 of their first 8 games. Six of those wins have been by double-digit margins. Their only loss was on the court of #25 Louisville. 

We scored the first 3 points but then went stone cold and fell behind 9-3 before finally scoring again with 13-1/2 minutes left in the half. We fought back to an 11-11 tie with 10-1/2 minutes to go in the first half and took a 16-14 lead on Shawn Jackson’s 3 with 7:45 to play. We held on to take a 30-29 lead to the locker room. Cory Davis led us offensively with 9 points.

In the 2nd half we dropped behind by 9 points but scored 8 points in just over a minute of play to pull close at 52-51 with 8:45 to go in the game. We fell behind by 7 points with 3 minutes left but drew within 2 at 68-66 with a minute to go. The Ragin’ Cajuns immediately sunk a 3 though. After missing a shot, we were forced to foul and fell behind 72-66 with 30 seconds on the clock. Coach V called a timeout and set up a 3 for Delawn West which went down to make it 72-69 with just 20 seconds to play. We fouled on the in-bounds play and they hit 1 of 2 shots to take a 4 point lead. Delawn West’s 3 missed, but Cory Davis grabbed the rebound and put it in to make the score 73-71, but we were unable to foul and the buzzer sounded and we lost a 2nd straight nail-biter.

Final Score: UL-Lafayette (8-1)—73, Eastern Washington (5-4)—71.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF Delawn West-16 pts, 3 reb, 2 assists, 2 steals; C Cory West-13 pts, 5 reb; SG Shawn Jackson-11 pts, 3 reb, 2 assists, 2 steals; C Joseph Palmer-8 pts, 7 reb, 1 assists, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: UL-Lafayette’s PF Eric Sharpe-9 pts, 6 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block.

We held a 29-21 rebounding advantage and hit 6 more FG’s than did the Ragin’ Cajuns. But UL-Lafayette his 10 of 19 three-pointers and the refs sent them to the line 16 more times where they scored 11 more points than us.  Nine players for UL-Lafayette scored between 6 and 9 points each.

Today Show

Morning of Dec 15: Swede's house

After a late flight back to Washington after the road game, Bret is still soundly asleep when the Today Show comes on. Swede, however, has been watching it every day while convalescing at home. After a couple of weeks, he's seen nothing interesting. On this particular morning though, he notices something unusual. Standing in the crowd behind Al Roker, he notices an Elvis impersonator looking around nervously while waving a big sign. The sign reads, "First National Bank of Eugene, Oregon. Bret saves!"

(Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums)

Torbern "Swede" Olaffson, Athletic Director
TO: Hey Bret, sounds like I woke you up.

BV: Nahhh. OK, OK, you did! Can't you let a guy get some sleep after a second straight tough loss?

TO: Do I need to remind you that I'm the AD, so therefore your boss who should be kicking your ass for not coaching well enough to pull out two wins rather than blowing two games? And by the way, what was up with the technical on you in the second half last night?

BV: I was afraid you were going to ask about that. But I just got so pissed off at the refs that those four-letter words escaped. In hindsight I do feel like my giving the Ragin' Cajuns yet another point at the line plus handing them the ball may ultimately have cost us the game.

TO: Screw the refs, Bret. I watched the game on TV and those yokels were Louisiana homers. But that really isn't what I called about. Brett, do you have any relatives...or enemies in Eugene, Oregon? 

BV: No relatives, but maybe a few enemies from my assistant coaching days down the road at Oregon State. But, people don't remember assistants, do they?

(Swede tells Brett what he saw on the Today Show)

BV: Damn! What next? Is someone going to tie me to the Kennedy assassination, even though I wasn't even born yet? This thing just gets stranger and stranger. I think this nails it, Swede. Even though you're dead set against it, I'm going to go across the state at the Christmas break and talk to my ex-player to find out why he is so scared.

TO: You're damned right I'm against your doing that for so many reasons! But I know I'm not going to be able change the thinking of a freakin' hard head like you. So, go. But I'm sending one of the guys I hired to protect you, Tony the Tuna, along with you so you don't go missing like that radio guy. And Bret, I don't want to hear one more word of complaint from you about my hiring those two guys and their being your shadows. They're staying on my payroll until this is all over. Case closed.

KSPK radio broadcast (excerpts of play-by-play):
Game #10, Dec. 17, 2014: Long Beach State 49ers (3-5) at Eastern Washington Eagles (5-4) 

The 49’s lost 5 of their first 6 games, but have won their last two including a win over Texas Tech. SG Dereck Jackson is the go-to guy for Long Beach State. He’s averaging 20.8 ppg. He’s been extremely consistent, scoring in double firgures every game and scoring 19 or more points in 6 of the 49er’s 7 games. So it’ll be up to the Eagles to neutralize him to control this game.

Long Beach State takes a 7-4 lead as Nick Davenport drains a 3 for the 49ers to follow up Derek Jackson’s 3 on the previous possession. The 49ers are bombing away from outside early.

Tim Dove cuts and drives the lane on a pick and roll, but he blows the layup. Michael Taylor grabs the rebound. He quickly dishes it to Delawn West whose shot from 8 feet bounces up and in. Oh! He was fouled on the shot by Nick Davenport and goes to the line with a chance to make it a 3-point play. His free throw rims out. Long Beach State brings it up court. The pass goes to Dereck Jackson who tosses up a long 3 and it’s in! The Eagles trail 10-8 with 15 minutes to go in the half. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Coach Vandergard go strictly to a man-to-man defense to try to cool the 49ers outside game. He brings in Brian Robisch to replace Shawn Jackson in an attempt to control Jackson who now has 7 of the 49ers’ 10 points.

Joe Blackwell goes to the line but misses the front end of a one-and-one. But Terence Hillier muscles his way into the lane to pull down the rebound. He puts it right back up and in to put the Eagles ahead 17-16 at the 9:32 mark. 

As the clock sounds, Nick Davenport’s 3 pointer bounces of the front of the rim. Eastern Washington carries a 38-33 lead to the locker room. The Eagles inside players carried them by scoring 26 of their 38 points. They Eagles completely controlled the boards by hauling down 18 rebounds to the 49ers’ 9 boards. Joseph Palmer led the Eagles’ scoring with 8 points, but Cory Davis and Terence Hillier each contributed 6 points. Michael Taylor was a beast on the boards, pulling down 5 rebounds in just 9 minutes of play. Dereck Jackson kept Long Beach State in the game by scoring 18 points. The Eagles were unable to control him no matter what defense they employed, how often they double-teamed him, or who they put out there against him.

Tim Dove sends it over to Shawn Jackson in the corner. Jackson’s 3 hits the far side of the rim and bounces out of bounds. The Eagles continue to fire away from outside with no success. They’ve now missed all 9 of their 3-pointers. But turnovers have plagued Long Beach State. So with 5-1/2 minutes to play, it’s 52-46 in favor of Eastern Washington.

The Eagles work the ball around the left side. West gets it into Hillier who turns and puts up a 10 foot jumper that drops. He was fouled on the shot. His free drops through the silks. Hillier’s 3 point play gives the Eagles their first double-digit lead at 57-46 with 2:34 left to play. That’s 9 points for Hillier, the first time this season he has contributed offensively for Eastern Washington.

The Eagles continue to play tough defense. The 49ers can’t get free for a shot and now Jackson is called for travelling. Tim Dove brings the ball slowly up courts. He passes to Robisch outside on the right. Robisch is guarded tightly and sends the ball back to Dove at the point. Dove fires a pass to Joseph Palmer on near the baseline on the right side. Palmer quickly puts up a 12 footer that finds his mark. He’s fouled on the shot. Toeing the line, Palmer sinks his free throw as Eastern Washington makes back to back 3-point plays to take a 60-46 lead with just under 2 minutes to go.

Long Beach State closes the game hitting two 3-point shots, but it’s too little too late. Eastern Washington wins their 6th game of the season by the tune of 70-60. The Eagles won the game based on a 30-19 rebounding advantage, a 20-12 turnover advantage and by scoring 38 points in the paint. But they needed it to offset Long Beach State’s Dereck Jackson who dropped in 30 points. The Eagles’ fans go home happy tonight.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (6-4)—70; Long Beach State (3-6)—60.

Leading Eastern Washington players: C Joseph-15 points, 3 reb, 1 assist; PF Terence Hillier-11 pts, 3 reb; PF Brian Dearman-9 pts, 4 reb, 1 steal (in 9 minutes of play); C Michael Taylor-6 pts, 7 reb, 2 assists, 3 steals, 1 block; PF Cory Davis-8 pts, 2 reb, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: C Joseph Palmer-15 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist.

Ervin Smith, player

Game #11. Dec. 21, 2014: Eastern Washington Eagles (6-4) at Furman Paladins (3-4)

I’m happy this is the final pre-conference game. Tomorrow I’m flying home. This has been a rough time for me since it’s the first time I’ve been away from my family. It will be nice to go back home to Gleason, Tennessee and get to see family and friends. I just wish I was going back with more to crow about. So far Coach V has only played me in 6 of the 10 games and then only 5.8 mpg. I think that my production has been pretty good given I’ve had so little time on the floor: 1.5 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.2 apg, 0.5. spg. Unfortunately I have 3 more experienced players getting most of the playing time at the 3 position. While I’m not happy with how little I’m getting to play, I’m working hard during practices. I just don’t fit in with the other guys on the team or Coach V. Maybe there is a better place for me to display my talents after this year.

Anyway, here’s my view from the far end of the bench for tonight’s game in Greenville, SC.

Joe Palmer came out like a man with a mission, blocking two shots, getting a steal and scoring 2 points in the first 2 minutes of play, but those were the only point scored by either team.

We held the Paladins scoreless for the first 8 minutes of the game. During that period we only allowed them to shoot 6 times, stole the ball 8 times, blocked 2 shots and carved out a 13-0 lead. Furman got on the board with a 3 at that point.

But we couldn’t hit our shots (hitting just 30% of our FG attempts) and let the Paladins back into the game at 15-8 with 7:40 left in the half. Coach V got on the guys about their shot selection and was frustrated enough to bring me into the game plus put another SF, Travis Dawson, in at SG. I got 5 minutes of court time. While I can’t say it was because of me (I only got off one shot, a 3 that didn’t go down, but got one assist), we expanded our lead to 22-8.

We finished the half ahead 31-14. Our defense was stellar, holding Furman’s shooting to 20%, getting 13 steals, 3 blocks. We turned the ball over just 3 times. The only downside was that we hit just 39% of our shots. Tim Dove led our scoring with 10 points, but Joe Palmer had 6 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal and 2 blocks even though he only played 10 minutes. I’m hoping Coach V puts me back in for some solid minutes in the 2nd half.

I nearly fell over when Coach V put me into the game just 3 minutes into the 2nd half with our lead standing at 34-18. But I got pulled after just 2 minutes of play. Furman cut our lead to 47-39 with 5-1/2 minutes left in the game, and I could see the guys on our bench getting nervous. Coach brought me back in for the final 1-1/2 minutes. I got to the line but missed the front end of a 1-and 1 and also missed a 3 point shot right before the end of the game. But we got a big road victory. Even though I got 9 minutes on the court, I didn’t play well enough to get any pat on the back from Coach V.

I’m not flying back to Washington with the team, but rather catching a flight from South Carolina to Tennessee and some home cookin’!!!

Final Score: Eastern Washington (7-4)—51, Furman (3-5)—42.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PG Tim Dove-13 pts, 1 reb; C Joseph Palmer-11 pts, 8 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 blocks; PF Cory Davis-10 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 5 steals, 1 block; SF Joe Blackwell-7 pts, 3 reb, 2 assists, 3 steals.

Player of the Game: C Joseph Palmer-11 pts, 8 reb, 1 assist, 2 blocks.

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director:

After successful pre-conference play, Bret Vandergard is taking some time off. He (along with Tony the Tuna, who I’ve sent along to provide protection) will drive across the state so Bret can talk with Don Watson, the player who transferred to the University of Puget Sound. Earlier this year, Watson communicated with Bret that he was in fear of his life and asked Bret to meet with him during the Christmas break.

With all that’s gone on this year, I’ve got no idea where this will lead.

Spokane Spokesman-Review article

EAGLES FLYING HIGH

Even though the Eastern Washington Eagles played seven of their eleven pre-conference games on the road, they crafted a solid 7-4 record and their RPI is rated 85th best in the nation.

They’ve been led by their front-court duo of Joseph Palmer and Cory Davis who have combined for 21.5 ppg and 9.0 rpg. Tim Dove has continued to grow into his role at the point.

But no one has yet stepped up to consistently put points on the board at the SG and SF positions. Another weakness has been their poor shooting beyond the arc where they are converting just 27% of their shots. Coach Vandergard was out of town, but assistant coach Nathaniel Austin defended his outside players, saying “we’ve got a bunch of players who are developing their skills at the outside positions. We feel fortunate to have several players who can step in on different nights.”

As a team the Eagles are averaging 68.1 ppg compared to their opponents 64.5 ppg. Austin said, “We’re pleased with how the team’s defense has gelled in the last four games, highlighted by the defensive gem against Furman.”

Here’s how the Eagles players and team are performing thus far:

Eastern Washington Eagles Player Stats after Pre-Conference Play:

PF Cory Davis: 11 G, 10 GS, 21.4 mpg, 11.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.3 spg, 0.2 bpg
C Joseph Palmer: 11 G, 11 GS, 18.3 mpg, 10.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.4 bpg
PG Tim Dove: 11 G, 11 GS, 23.7 mpg, 8.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.0 bpg
SF Delawn West: 8 G, 4 GS, 21.0 mpg, 6.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.0 bpg
SG Shawn Jackson: 11 G, 10 GS, 21.0 mpg, 5.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 1.6 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.0 bpg
SF Joe Blackwell: 9 G, 7 GS, 19.1 mpg, 5.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.0 bpg
PG Robbie Taflinger: 11 G, 1 GS, 15.9 mpg, 4.6 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.2 bpg
C Michael Taylor: 11 G, 0 GS, 14.1 mpg, 4.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.4 bpg
SF Travis Dawson: 10 G, 0 GS, 8.2 mpg, 4.4 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.2 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.2 bpg
PF Terence Hillier: 10 G, 1 GS, 7.8 mpg, 2.6 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.2 spg, 0.0 bpg
PF Brian Dearman: 11 G, 0 GS, 9.5 mpg, 2.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.2 bpg
PF Odie Joseph: 11 G, 0 GS, 9.0 mpg, 2.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.2 bpg
SG Brian Robisch: 11 G, 0 GS, 11.8 mpg, 2.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.0 bpg
SF Ervin Smith: 7 G, 0 GS, 6.1 mpg, 1.3 ppg, 0.4 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.0 bpg
SG Will Davis: Redshirt

Eastern Washington Record/Stats after Pre-Conference Play:

W-L: 7-4 (Home: 3-1, Away: 4-3)
RPI: 85; Rank: Unranked
68.1 ppg (27th in nation), FG%: 48.3% (27th in nation), 3P%: 26.9%, FT%: 82.4% (2nd in nation), APG: 11.5, RPG: 28.6 (40th in nation), SPG: 9.4 (38th in nation), BPG: 1.6, TOPG: 14.0, PTS/100 POSS: 108.5 (16th in nation)

Spokane Spokesman-Review article

BIG SKY TO BE A SCRAMBLE

Seven of the twelve teams in the Big Sky posted winning records during pre-conference play. When asked who was favored to win the Big Sky championship this year, Swede Olaffson, athletic director at Eastern Washington, commented “Hey, it’s going to be up for grabs. I like our chances but my counterparts at several of the other schools in the conference could say the very same thing. I’m happy to see the steady progress the Eagles are making under the tutelage of Coach Vandergard. He’s a young coach but brings a lot to the profession.”

Big Sky Conference Records

Weber State.................8-3.....RPI: 117
Eastern Washington.....7-4.....RPI: 85
Idaho State...................7-4.....RPI: 171
Idaho............................7-4.....RPI: 189
Montana.......................6-5.....RPI: 116
Southern Utah..............6-5.....RPI: 168
North Dakota................6-5.....RPI: 228
Portland State..............4-7.....RPI: 322
Montana State.............3-8.....RPI: 226
Northern Colorado.......3-8.....RPI: 349
Northern Arizona.........2-9.....RPI: 299
Sacramento State........2-9.....RPI: 350

December 23 Puget Sound

Arriving at the off-campus coffee shop where Don Watson agreed to meet with Bret, Tony tells Bret that he'll wait outside and keep an eye out for trouble. Entering the cafe, Bret immediately spots Watson sitting in a corner and looking very nervous. 

As Bret sits down, Don says, "Thank you coach for coming and for your discretion. No one can know that we spoke." Watson continues to look around nervously. After a a few false starts where it appears he isn't quite sure where to begin, Don finally says, "first of all coach, I want to apologize to you for not being totally honest about the reasons I decided to transfer. Sure, I had thought about it for much of the season, because i wasn't sure I'd ever really get any playing time in your system, but I liked you and the program, and was very happy with the university, so I was torn and there was a good chance I might have stayed. But after what happened at the conference tournament last spring, there was no choice."

Constantly looking around, and speaking very softly, Don Watson then narrates the following story:

Following the shoot around session the morning of the championship game of the tournament, Watson was alone in the gym, choosing to stay late and work on his jump shot. At that time he was approached by two gentlemen. Watson describes one as big and dumb, and the other as short and rat-faced. He felt like he'd seen the short rat-faced guy somewhere before, but can't remember where. At any rate he was wearing dark glasses and a fedora, so it might have just been his imagination. The big dumb guy did most of the talking. 

"Kid, you are about to do us a big favor, and before you say no...you can't say no! Palmer you are gonna throw the game tonight. Every time you touch da ball do sumpin' stupid wit it. Make sure it looks good, though."

Watson tried to explain to the guy that he wasn't Corey Palmer and that he was just a redshirt and wouldn't even be dressed for the game.

The big dumb guy said, "what, you take me for an idjit? You are wearing a WHITE shirt and now you are tryin' to tell me you gonna show up to da game NAKED? You gotta get uip earlier in da mornin' than dis to pull one over on Sol Molinari", at which point the little guy smacks him on the arm and yells, "shut up you idiot!" 

After several minutes of this nonsense, the rat-faced guy finally figured out that they had the wrong guy and that what Watson was telling them was that he wasn't even eligible to play in the game. The two thugs huddled together, and although Watson thought about trying to sneak away while they were preoccupied he was too scared to move. What little he heard of the huddled conversation made little sense. He thought they heard them say something about a Hyena being mad, but obviously he must have heard them wrong. At any rate, they finally walk back over and the little guy is on the phone with someone and says, "Ma, we got the wrong guy. What now?" Although Watson could't hear the reply the screaming at the other end of the cell phone was loud enough to identify it as female, but a femaile what he wasn't sure. It sounded like a banshee.

Finally, the rat faced guy gets off the phone and he doesn't look very happy. He tells the big dumb guy that they are in big trouble if they don't fix things, and the boss has ordered them to switch plans and find the announcer guy. 

They come back over to Watson and the big galoot says, "forget you ever saw us kid. We wasn't here. We'll be watching you and if you ever tink about saying sumpin about what you didn't see, you'll be swimmin' wit da fishes!" The little guy smacks him again and says, "that's SLEEPING with the fishes you dope!" The big guy says, "Dat don't make no sense, Tony, I ain't never seen no fish sleepin'! At any rate kid, if you ever say sumpin' we'll know and you'll be deader dan a .....um....dead thing" 

The two then went off still arguing.

-----

"And, that's the story, Coach. I KNOW I know i should have said something about it right away.....but..", Watson says sheepishly.

"But, as dumb as they were, I had no doubt they meant business. I've been scared for my life ever since, and THAT's the real reason I transferred. But when I heard about all the trouble going on at EDUB , I knew I had to say something if i ever wanted to sleep again at night. Just please, PLEASE, promise me you won't tell anyone you heard this from me."

The conversation ended, Bret leaves the trembling Don Watson, and heads outside where Tony the Tuna is nowhere to be seen.

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums]

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director

TO: OK Bret, I’m at a pay phone like you wanted and am calling you back at the pay phone you initially called me from. What the hell is up? What’s all the cloak and dagger about? This is getting just too weird.

BV: Swede, sorry to make you go running all over, but I don’t trust talking about this on our cell phones. Don just got done relating the most unusual story. The kid is scared senseless. The things he told me, I just have to digest or a while on my own. But after we finished talking, Swede, yet another strange thing happened. Tony the Tuna told me he’d wait outside the coffee shop making sure no trouble came our way. But when I came out, he was nowhere to be found. Swede, I’ve looked up and down the street, in the nearby businesses, wherever I can. He’s gone. I don’t have a cell number for him so I can’t even try contacting him. I’m not sure he could handle a “smart” phone anyway. With what Don told me, I’m not comfortable going to the police right now.

TO: Damn it! Look, Bret. I’ll check around and try to get in touch with Tony. But Bret, you jump in your car and get the hell back here NOW! Don’t worry about Tony, when we find him, he can come back here by Greyhound. I’ll have Malcolm the Marauder go over and check out your house to make sure everything there is OK, but come see me before going home. You hear me, Bret...come straight to my place when you get here.

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director

[swede Olaffson’s home, the day following the meeting between Bret Vandergard and Don Watson, immediately following Bret Vandergard's return to Cheney, WA]

Yes, Bret, I vividly remember the Conference Tournament Championship game from last year. We were all disappointed in how it turned out. But I agree with you, Joseph Palmer played well while he was in the game. The refs just took him out of it by calling quick fouls on him in the first half and then doing the same thing when he returned to the floor in the second half. So yes, his stats sucked, but he was hamstrung by the refs, not by how he was playing.
I’m upset you aren’t telling me everything that Don Watson said. But if as you’ve said, he’s afraid for his life, I’ll let you do your own investigative work on this thing for a little while. This all can’t stay bottled up forever though.

Joseph Palmer, player

[Coach V's office, later on Dec. 24]

"Yeah, Coach, I remember the Championship Game from last year. It was a freakin’ nightmare. And yes, I remember a couple strange dudes trying to talk with me before the game, but we all were preparing for the game. When those two guys came up to me, Cory, Tim, and Michael were all around me and got between them and me telling them to get the hell off the court. About that time, security showed up and ushered the two guys out. I never gave it any more thought until you mentioned it to me right now. And no, I never saw or heard from them again. I never thought to tell you about them. I’m sorry about that, but it just wasn’t a big deal to me."

Cory Davis, Tim Dove, Michael Taylor

[Coach V's office, still later on Dec. 24]

Cory: Yes Coach, there were two weird looking guys who came onto the court when the team came out to warm up before that game. But I had never seen either of them before or after that. I’m sure they weren’t fans of our team.

Tim: The big guy was saying unintelligible things and the little rat-faced guy kept trying to get to Joseph. None of us wanted that and we sort of stepped in between them and Joseph. Then Big Michael pushed them away.

Michael: Yeah, I told them both to get the hell off the court. The big guy got really mad, but then a facility security guard came over and made them both leave.

Cory: I remember them looking back at us with really dirty looks as they were led away, but that’s the last I saw of them. It was sort of unnerving, but we all got it back together before the game started.

Tim: Actually, we had a laugh about it since the guys were so strange, Coach. There was never another mention of them though, since we focused on the game and were all so sad after losing that game and our chance at getting to the Big Dance.

Steve Corrigan, security guard

SC: Hey! Coach Vandergard! Surprising to get a phone call from YOU! Congratulations on your team’s success this year.

BV: Thanks, but I understand you were working security the night of last year’s Big Sky Conference Tournament Championship game.

SC: Yeah, I was. Why?

BV: I just wanted to ask if you remember coming down on the court before our game when a couple guys were interfering with our warmup.

SC: Hmmmm. Oh yeah, I do recall that. It was pretty unusual alright. These guys just didn’t fit into the scene at all. One big guy who couldn’t seem to get out a sentence that made sense and a small guy who just seemed nasty as hell. Both weren’t dressed like the normal fan coming to a game.

BV: What do you recall of the incident?

SC: Well, I was down near midcourt when I noticed these guys up near some of your players and all of a sudden one of your big guys shoved one of them and yelled for them to get out of there. I hurried over and asked the players what was going on. One of them said these two guys just came on the court and were getting in their faces and keeping them from warming up. I told the two guys they needed to get off the court. When they didn’t move, I ushered them off. They were incensed and cursing. I got concerned but fortunately there were a couple city cops in the hallway just off the court. They came over and when the two guys gave them some lip, the cops kicked them out of the arena.

BV: Did you find out their names?

SC: No, it all happened pretty quickly and then the police took over. I think the cops just treated it as a low-key thing though and am certain they didn’t follow up on these two guys after kicking their asses out on to the street. Heck, now that you mention it, I don’t even think I reported it to my supervisor since it seemed to resolve quickly and without further incident. I imagine the cops were just like me. We didn’t want to get involved in a lot of paperwork and miss the game. It was a real surprise to see your team get beaten so badly in that game, so I sure hope what happened with those two guys didn’t upset your players too much. 

BV: I’m sure it didn’t. Sometimes things just don’t go right in game and that was one of those times. So you never saw the two guys again?

SC: Nah. They talked with accents like they were from some other part of the country. I don’t think they are form these parts.

Bret's office

Tony the Tuna: "Thank Goodness, you are okay, Coach. I saw a couple of guys snooping around the car in Puget Sound and chased them for almost an hour before I finally lost them. When I went back to the coffee shop you and the car were both gone! I didn't know what happened. Catching a bus back on Christmas Eve wasn't no picnic, but at least everything is all right."

[Copied from posting by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums]

Tony The Tuna

[Continuation of the conversation in Bret’s office]

BV: Hey Tony. I’m sorry I took off while you were trying to protect me. But Swede ordered me to get back quick. I think he was worried something would happen there. I’m glad he was able to get in contact with you though. Sorry about you’re having to ride a Greyhound bus clear across the state to get back here. 

TtT: Hey man, I know how things go. Swede was pretty mad at me at first, but then cooled down when I let him know about those two guys. It’s been 20 years since I rode a Greyhound. I thought things were good at first since the first person I sat down next to was a pretty young blonde. But that was a mistake. She had a voice like Fran Drescher and talked incessantly. I tried to fake going to sleep, but she just poked me in the shoulder and went on and on about her horrible life. When we stopped in Ellensburg, I got off and had a smoke, then got back on and took a different seat next to the window thinking I’d get some sleep. But this guy sat next to me. The bozo smelled like he hadn’t showered in 3 months and every so often made these weird noises...squeaks, squeals, screeches...and waved his arms around. And then he began talking about how aliens were coming to wipe us all out. It was a long 8 hour ride. 

BV: I think Swede owes you a bonus for that trip. But this is important, Tony. What did those two guys you saw and chased look like?

Jamal Smith, 1st Asst Coach

I got together with Coach V today for our scheduled review of where we are with recruiting. We’ve got a number of good recruits showing at least some interest in our lone remaining scholarship to offer. Coach V is usually very interested and involved. But today I was surprised since he seemed distant and disinterested. I repeatedly had to get his attention as I went over where we were with specific recruits. Something seems to be bothering him, but he wasn’t in a mood to talk about it with me.

Potato-Pickin’-Paul, “Eagle Flight” blog:

Game #12: Dec. 28, 2014: Eastern Washington Eagles (7-4, 0-0) at North Dakota Fightin’ Sioux (6-5, 0-0)

North Dakota had a stretch in pre-conference play where they played 4 straight games on the road and won each of them, including wins over Bradley and Arizona State. It’s surprising their RPI isn’t higher than 228. They drubbed us in last year’s Big Sky Championship game, thus denying us the opportunity to participate in the Big Dance. The Eagles were fired up to revenge that loss. North Dakota’s scoring has been spread pretty evenly amongst 9 different players. They’ve been particularly strong defensively, holding 2 of their opponents thus far to less than 40 points.

The Eagles turned the ball over 3 times in the first three minutes and North Dakota took advantage to go ahead 6-1. But the Eagles pulled even at 10-10 with 13 minutes to play in the first half, but were unable to take the lead until Brian Robisch sank a long 3 with 4-1/2 minutes remaining to make the score 19-17. Defense by both teams was tenacious, but the Eagles left the court at the half with a 26-23 advantage. Joseph Palmer led the scoring for Eastern Washington with 7 points.

Both teams picked up things offensively in the 2nd half. The score remained as close as a barber’s shave throughout the half until Eastern Washington scored 6 straight points and went ahead 52-47 with 3:56 to play. 

North Dakota didn’t give up though and pulled with a point with 2-1/2 minutes to play. Cory Davis fouled out at the 1:34 mark and North Dakota sunk both free throws to take a 56-55 lead. Tim Dove was fouled on a drive and hit both foul shots to put Eastern Washington on top 57-56 with 1:05 left. Coach V was livid when Joe Blackwell was called for a foul with 50 seconds on the clock. North Dakota’s Cliff Karcher hit both shots to put the Fightin’ Sioux ahead by a point. Following a time out, Tim Dove drove the line after a pick and roll, pulled up and dropped in a 6 foot jumper to put the Eagles on top 59-58 with 35 seconds to go. Great defense resulted in a North Dakota miss on the next possession. Eastern Washington hauled down the rebound and Dove was fouled intentionally with 13 seconds remaining. Two swishes later the Eagles took a 3 point lead. Again defensive pressure caused North Dakota to put up a closely contested 3 that was off target. The Eagles rebounded and made two quick passes to elude an intentional foul and Robbie Taflinger drilled a long 3 at the buzzer.

The Eagle players and coaching staff were ecstatic about revenging last year’s loss plus winning their Big Sky Conference opener on the road. The Eagles did it with great shot selection in the 2nd half, hitting 52% of their FG attempts plus grinding down the Fightin’ Sioux with a stingy defense that limited North Dakota’s shooting to 39% (and 21% on 3’s).

This was an exciting game throughout as neither team held more than a 5 point lead until the final shot of the game. There were 22 lead changes and the game was tied 14 times.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (8-4, 1-0, 1st place tie)-64, North Dakota (6-6, 0-1)-58.

Eastern Washington’s leading players: PF Cory Davis-10 pts, 6 reb, 1 assist; C Joseph Palmer-10 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block; PG Tim Dove-12 pts, 1 reb, 3 assists, 1 steal; SG Shawn Jackson-11 pts, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: PG Tim Dove-12 pts, 1 reb, 3 assists, 1 steal.

Larry Montgomery, 3rd asst coach: (scouting)

After grades for the fall term came out, Coach V had me talk with 2 of our players, Travis Dawson and Terence Hillier about their grades. I was happy to do it, but was surprised since in the past he had always personally spoken to players about scholastics. But lately he has been very busy with something unrelated to the team and our program. I'm not sure what it is, but he seems pressured and stressed.

I told both of the players that they had to study more and that they would be on the study table for a month. While their grades do not put them in serious jeopardy, they understand the need to buckle down to avoid the potential of academic probation.

Nancy Parker, Athletic Department Secretary

The Associated Students of Eastern Washington University (ASEWU) and the Eagles’ Wings Fan Club sponsored a big pre-game rally. 

It’s apparent that our fans are excited about the Big Sky season. It’s been a long time since the basketball team created any sense of enthusiasm here in Cheney. A solid pre-conference record and winning the conference opener on the road is creating hope in their hearts. But our fans want us to take the next step and that’s coming out on top of the Big Sky standings, winning the conference tournament, and making it into the NCAA Tournament. 

The rally got everyone hyped up and hopefully got our players ready to roll tonight against Sacramento State

Austin Nathaniel, 2nd Asst Coach (Player Development)

Game #13: Jan. 4, 2015: Sacramento State Hornets (3-9, 1-0) at Eastern Washington Eagles (8-4, 1-0) 

Sacramento State had a horrible start this season winning just 1 of their first 10 games. But they’ve won their last two games including winning their Big Sky opener last week. SF Noel Johnson and PF Ben Williamson have led them offensively this year. 

Both teams played sloppily early in the game. Turnovers abounded. So did fouls and Cory Davis went picked up two quick fouls and went to the bench just 3 minutes into the game. We slogged through this to gradually build a lead that eventually grew to as much as 10 points. We turned the ball over 10 times in the half, but fortunately Sacramento State gifted us to 11 turnovers. We got to the line 18 times and converted 16 of those shots. This allowed us to gain a 30-24 halftime lead. Michael Taylor came off the bench with a sense of purpose and dropped in 12 points.

We continued to turn the ball over which allowed the Hornets to tie us at 38-38 with 11:44 to play. That seemed to wake up our team and we scored the next 9 points as our big home crowd came to life. We used that energy to clamp down defensively and pull away to extend our win streak to 4 games.

We dropped in 53% of our shots while holding the Hornets shooting to 42%. We got to the line 15 more times than the Hornets and scored 12 more points on free throws. We had a very small advantage on rebounding and turnovers.

Final Score: Eastern Washington-62 (9-4, 2-0, 1st place tie), Sacramento State-49 (3-10, 1-1)

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Michael Taylor-17 pts, 4 reb; SG Shawn Jackson-12 pts, 2 reb, 1 assists, 4 steals; PF Cory Davis-10 pts, 2 reb, 1 steal; SF Joe Blackwell-7 pts, 6 reb, 2 assists.

Player of the Game: C Michael Taylor-17 pts, 4 reb.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now