psucolonel

I cannot take this site seriously

I think it is great this site exists for the genre of GM/management style sports games, but until the reviews get to be serious I can't take this site seriously.  Almost every score is a 9 or better and it is impossible to sort through which games are actually better than others.  The reviews need to be honest and objective, and they are NOT.  Until they are, I just can't take any of the published reviews here seriously.  

3 hours ago, psucolonel said:

I think it is great this site exists for the genre of GM/management style sports games, but until the reviews get to be serious I can't take this site seriously.  Almost every score is a 9 or better and it is impossible to sort through which games are actually better than others.  The reviews need to be honest and objective, and they are NOT.  Until they are, I just can't take any of the published reviews here seriously.  

This is a fan site for the genre, the games are going to scale high because they aren't in comparison to arcade elements where you play with your controller.

Not only that, some of these games have been indie devs who have been making their code and AI for 10+ years. This site isn't here to keep scoring them 6 because they aren't Football Manager, backed by a huge studio and a publisher who can pay a staff of 20+ people. Usually it's one person.

With that being said, each version is trying to be better than the last. The scores here rate FM on top rightfully so and judge the games in relation to that which the other games are below. Some of the reviews are 2000 words, I'm sure you can decipher something from that alone. Most of the games have demo versions too so you don't have to pay.

If you want a certain scoring system, then keep up to date at other sites, ign, operation sports, whatever you prefer, but this site will continue to be a supporter of those trying to get exposure for such a small niche genre to begin with.

Ten years + later we continue to be the ONLY site that chronicles, catalogs and documents these games.

General Manager (GM) Games

email [email protected]
website | discord | youtube | reddit | twitch

5 hours ago, psucolonel said:

To be fair, most those aren't reviews. Those are user ratings scores. It's much easier to just click a rating then to actually put that rating into words. I'd guess that skews the ratings higher. Most games don't appear to have reviews on this site. But the site is nice for documenting what all games are out there. Then I normally go to Steam|YouTube|MetaCritic and google to see reviews for the game. I prefer to find sites with more then just one persons thoughts on the game.

Why not just have a scale that is relative to the genre?  On a 1-10 scale if Football Manager is a 9 (should be next to impossible to garner a 10…or at least extremely difficult) then games such as Out of the Park Baseball should be an 8, and a game like Front Office Football would be a 7.  

there’s nothing wrong with scores like that for the better games in the genre.  Having everything an 8.5 or above (most are above 9) doesn’t help people.  If  it’s users who are voting I get it, but they really are NOT being objective, and the problem is these scores get published in a lot of different places.  

it’s just my opinion that you may want to consider bringing some credibility to the review system here on this site.  It’s hard to take the current system seriously.

again, I love the concept of this site, as I’m an avid fan of the genre.  I’m just trying to shed a little light on an aspect I think could be improved upon.  

and yes, cheers to all of the hard working developers who strive to grow this genre !(especially stateside) 

I’d even be good with using the real scale baseball scouts use.  In the 2-8 scale I’d give FM an 8, OOTP a 7 and FOF a 6.  

Edited by psucolonel

16 hours ago, psucolonel said:

Why not just have a scale that is relative to the genre?  On a 1-10 scale if Football Manager is a 9 (should be next to impossible to garner a 10…or at least extremely difficult) then games such as Out of the Park Baseball should be an 8, and a game like Front Office Football would be a 7.  

there’s nothing wrong with scores like that for the better games in the genre.  Having everything an 8.5 or above (most are above 9) doesn’t help people.  If  it’s users who are voting I get it, but they really are NOT being objective, and the problem is these scores get published in a lot of different places.  

it’s just my opinion that you may want to consider bringing some credibility to the review system here on this site.  It’s hard to take the current system seriously.

again, I love the concept of this site, as I’m an avid fan of the genre.  I’m just trying to shed a little light on an aspect I think could be improved upon.  

and yes, cheers to all of the hard working developers who strive to grow this genre !(especially stateside) 

I’d even be good with using the real scale baseball scouts use.  In the 2-8 scale I’d give FM an 8, OOTP a 7 and FOF a 6.  

But again..those are user votes. That's not the site deciding the score, that's people (me, you, average forum user) voting for that score. Do I believe those are high? Yes. Would I rate most the games as high as they are? No. But You can't dictate what users rate games at, unless you turn off all user ratings.

I'm sure many of the people on here are like me. There's old games that I love and they're here.  That means many of the people rating the games have most likely played them before. The fact that they have fond memories of them are going to skew the ratings.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now