PointGuard

Who's Bret Vandergard and what's he done for us lately? [DDSCB3]

Larry Montgomery, 2nd asst coach

Game #7, Dec. 5, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (4-2) at #15 Cincinnati Bearcats (5-0)

Taking on unbeaten Cincinnati on their home court is huge challenge for us. We’re a big underdog in this game. But we’ve played one common opponent. We both played Baylor on Baylor’s court and both won. Surprisingly the point differential for those games was in our favor. 

My scouting report is their roster is loaded with exceptionally talented players. Their top producer thus far is freshman SF Antony Zimmerman who is averaging 15.2 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.6 apg and 1.8 spg. He was the #27 nationally-ranked recruit last year. But freshman PF Derrick Lakey was the #10 nationally-ranked recruit last year and is averaging 10.2 ppg and 6.4 rpg.

Coach V gave a spirited talk before the game focused on real examples of underdogs who have overcome obstacles to succeed beyond all expectations.

We took a 10-3 lead 5-1/2 minutes into the contest. Cincinnati gradually came back and tied us at 17-17 with 7:45 remaining in the half and took their first lead at 26-25 with 4 minutes to go. When the buzzer sounded ending the half, we held a slim 34-33 lead. We got scoring from throughout our lineup so our leading scorer, Tim Whitaker, had just 6 points.

As we approached the mid-point of the 2nd half, Cincinnati’s defense tightened and the refs began working us over. With 10:42 to go, the Bearcats led 56-46 and we were in need of an infusion of energy. With over 10 fouls called against us in the half and only 2 against Cincinnati, Coach V decided to try to light a fire by going after the refs and getting called for a technical. Our team responded by narrowing the gap to 7 and the refs actually called some fouls against the Bearcats. But then turnovers derailed our efforts and we fell behind by 12. Our guys responded with a furious run, though, that cut the lead to 62-58 with 5 minutes left. With 53 seconds to play Coach V called a time out in an effort to erase a 70-65 deficit. Shawn Jackson got free for a baseline jumper that bounced out. Cincinnati missed a shot but the ball went out of bounds off Cory Davis as he tried to rebound. We fouled with 28 seconds to go. Cincinnati hit both free throws. Tim Dove hit a 3 and we trailed by 4. We fouled on the inbounds play but again Cincinnati canned both shots. We missed a 3 pointer and our opportunity to upset a ranked team.

Our guys played their hearts out. We held a 32-26 rebounding advantage but turned the ball over 16 times to Cincinnati’s 9. We outscored the Bearcats from the field, but again the refs tagged with 8 more fouls and sent Cincinnati to the line 23 more times thus us where they scored 11 more points…and that was the ballgame! 

Final Score: Cincinnati—74, Eastern Washington (4-3)—68.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PF Cory Davis-12 pts, 2 assists, 10 reb, 2 steals, 1 block (nice double-double); C Colin Goode-14 pts, 7 reb, 1 block; PG Tim Dove-10 pts, 3 reb, 1 steal; SF Tim Whitaker-9 pts, 2 reb.

Player of the Game: Cincinnati’s C Charles Harris-22 pts, 7 reb, 1 block.

Carl Broderick, JC coach of player Colin Goode

Game #8, Dec. 8, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (4-3) at Charlotte 49ers (4-3)

Colin Goode has been in touch and asked me to come see him play tonight, so I drove up from Georgia. Having Colin play for me for 2 years made an average JC team into a very good one. Colin has been concerned since he’s not been playing consistently this year. I’m hopeful that there will be something I see that can help him get on track.

Charlotte’s PG Mark Graham is their leading scorer with 13.9 ppg.

Colin posted up and rolled to the basket but was fouled on a shot at the 19:07 mark. The shot didn’t fall, but he dropped in both free throws to put the Eagles ahead 5-0. A minute later he stole a pass and made a nice outlet pass. A minute later he fed a nice pass to Cory Davis for an easy basket to make it 7-4. He picked up his first foul with 16:39 to go in the half when he tried poking the ball away from his man. But since they were near the corner, it would have been good if he’d backed off a little to avoid what was an unnecessary foul. He then was called for travelling and threw the ball away on the Eagles’ next two possessions. With 15 minutes to go in the half, he took a pass on the high post and drove the key, pulling up to shoot but was fouled on the shot and made 1 of 2 free throws to make it 11-4. He’s doing well at drawing fouls. A minute later he ripped down his 3rd rebound and put it back up to score his 5th point. Good effort! With 13:59 left in the half, he was called for his 2nd personal trying to stop a driving layup by one of the 49er’s big men. That sent him to the bench with the score 13-5. While this was a good foul, his earlier unnecessary foul came back to haunt him.

He was kept out of action for the rest of the half which ended with Eastern Washington ahead 34-31. For Eastern Washington Darryl Bailey scored 9 points and Tim Whitaker added 8.

Colin was back in the lineup at the beginning of the 2nd half, but picked up his 3rd foul with 18:58 left. His coach kept him in the game though. Colin worked his way to the basket with 17:45 remaining and put in a 5-footer to put the Eagles ahead 39-33. Then with 17 minutes to go he pulled down an offensive rebound and put up an 8 footer that dropped through for his 9th point. He blocked a shot a minute later, but was called for his 4th foul at the 15:12 mark, blocking his man who began a drive from outside. This was another foul he easily could have avoided. That put him on the bench with the Eagles leading 43-36.

Colin came back into the game with 8-1/2 minutes to play and the Eagles leading 53-48. Colin hit a 12 foot jumper with 6-1/2 minutes to go which gave EWU a 59-51 lead. He dropped in another jumper less than a minute later making the score 61-53. Taking a pass inside, he was fouled but missed the front end of a 1-and-1, but he made up for it by pulling down a rebound after a succeeding miss on the other end by the 49ers. Then he stole a pass and quickly pushed it up court to Tim Whitaker for a driving layup.to give the Eagles a 10 point lead with 3-1/2 minutes to play. With 2:43 to play and the Eagles leading 67-57, Colin was called for his 5th foul as he hacked his opponent near the corner. The Eagles pulled away for a solid win on the road.

I know that Colin has been frustrated by his play thus far this season. But tonight overall it was an excellent game for Colin both offensively and defensively. I caught up with him after the game and gave him a pat on the back and passed along a few tips for cutting down on fouls away from the basket.

The Eagles outshot Charlotte 49% to 40% and held a 17-7 turnover advantage.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (5-3)-77, Charlotte-61.

Leading players: C Colin Goode-13 pts, 4 assists, 7 reb, 3 steals, 3 blocks; SF Tim Whitaker-12 pts, 3 assists, 4 reb, 2 steals; PG Tim Dove-10 pts, 3 assists, 1 reb, 1 steal; PG Darryl Bailey-11 pts, 1 reb, 1 steal; PF Donte Robinson-9 pts, 1 assist, 6 reb, 1 steal, 1 block.

Player of the Game: C Colin Goode-13 pts, 4 assists, 7 reb, 3 steals, 3 blocks.

For Charlotte: Reserve C Marlon Kurtz-12 pts, 12 reb.

Award: Colin Goode was named Big Sky Player of the Week.

Dr. Steve Yamada, O.D., Dec. 9, 2016

A week ago Coach Vandergard contacted me and asked that I test the vision of the entire team. He had noticed a player squinting and wondered if there might be vision problems. I scheduled each player for an exam. Several already were wearers of contact lenses. Most of the players’ vision (or their vision prescriptions) were fine. I tuned up Darryl Bailey’s contact lens prescription slightly. But one player, Tim Whitaker, had never had glasses or contacts and I found he really needs them. Today I was able to fit Tim with contacts. I think he was very surprised with how much better he can see now.

Article in Easterner Online (student newspaper)

Game #9, Dec. 12, 2016: Ball State Cardinals (2-5) at Eastern Washington Eagles (5-3)

The Eagles took on Ball State last night. Even though they came into the game with a losing record, they had played good opponents and had only 2 home games.

Trailing 15-10, EWU ran off 7 unanswered points to take a 2 point lead with 13:12 remaining in the first half. Ball State was scoring at will from all over the court, but the Eagles also were hitting their shots so the score remained close. The half ended in a 44-44 tie. EWU hit 68% of their shots, but Ball State hit a sizzling 74% of theirs. SF Tim Whitaker popped in 21 points for the Eagles.

Ball State opened a 6 point lead early in the 2nd half, but the Eagles finally cooled the Cardinals shooting a little while EWU continued to drain shots. With 4:39 remaining, the Eagles led 76-68. Ball State recovered to drawn within one point at 79-78 with a minute remaining. After EWU called a time out, Tim Dove cut around a Tim Whitaker’s screen to drop in a 15 footer on which he was fouled. Dove converted the 3 point play to give the Eagles a 4 point lead. Following a miss by the Cardinals, they fouled Derrick Reyes with 41 seconds remaining. Reyes sunk both free throws to make it 84-78. Ball State got away two three-point attempts but neither fell. With just 8 seconds to go, the Cardinals fouled Tim Whitaker whose two free throws swished through the net. Ball State hit a three at the buzzer but it meant nothing.

Shooting was phenomenal by both teams: 72% by EWU and 64% by Ball State. The Cardinals controlled the boards 20-14 but EWU forced the Cardinals to turn the ball over 22 times while making only 14 turnovers themselves.

Following the game, Coach Vandergard said, “Tim Whitaker was on fire tonight. We knew he had it in him, but this was a break out game for him. It’s fortunate because Ball State played a heckuva game and we needed every one of his points.” Vandergard also had praise for the play of PG Darryl Bailey and then finished with, “And Colin Goode had no fouls called on him, so we were able to keep him on the floor 29 minutes tonight.”

When asked about his high-scoring game during which he sunk 10 of 12 shots including 5 of 7 from beyond the arc, Tim Whitaker responded, “Everyone was hitting their shots tonight, but for me, I dropped in a 3 on our first possession and then the basket looked like it had a diameter of about a yard. I got contact lenses a few days ago so maybe I wasn’t seeing the basket all that well in the past. It was a lot of fun out there tonight, but we had to play hard the entire game since the Cardinals were so hot.”

Final Score: Eastern Washington (6-3)-86, Ball State-81.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF Tim Whitaker-33 pts, 2 reb, 3 steals; C Colin Goode-10 pts, 1 assist, 3 reb, 2 steals; SF Derrick Reyes-10 pts, 1 assist, 1 steal; PG Darryl Bailey-8 pts, 5 assists, 1 reb, 1 steal; PF Cory Davis-8 pts, 1 assist, 3 reb, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: SF Tim Whitaker-33 pts, 2 reb, 3 steals.

For Ball State: PG Eddie Wheeler-24 pts, 6 assists, 1 reb, 3 steals; PF Paul Smith-17 pts, 1 assist, 2 reb, 1 steal.

O. J. Mitchell, player

Game #10, Dec. 15, 2016: Kansas State Wildcats (3-4) at Eastern Washington Eagles (6-3)

Being a walk-on can get pretty frustrating. Sitting on the far end of the bench, getting few opportunities to play and then in those rare instances when put into a game being left out on the floor a very few minutes. But…I’m overjoyed to just be on this team. Great guys, great coaches, a chance to practice and play with (and against) a bunch of talented players. What more could I ask?

I’ll probably have 40 minutes sitting on the bench so I figured I might as well provide perspective from the end of the bench on tonight’s game.

We’re excited to have a Big Twelve team coming to take us on in Cheney. Even though they’ve had a rather slow start, we’re not taking them lightly. We’re taking the Wildcats seriously since it’s important for us to be able to prove ourselves against well-known programs.

Cory Davis joins me on the bench with 2 fouls in less than 2 minutes of play. We all think the refs got it all wrong on those fouls. Cory is fuming. Donte Robinson has shown the ability to fill Cory’s shoes though. We’re a little flat early on, falling behind 12-7. Midway through the half, though, we run off 11 straight points carrying us to a 23-16 lead with 7-1/2 minutes left until the break. The Wildcats came back and took a lead, but Tim Dove drove to the basket, missed the shot, but put back up a rebound that dropped at the buzzer. We headed to the locker room locked in a 40-40 tie. Coach V jumped on us about not taking control of the game on our home court. Tim Dove and Will Davis both scored 13 for us.

Kansas State came out and burned us early, but then Will Davis, Tim Whitaker and Tim Dove began hitting 3’s, and we took a 66-55 lead with 13-1/2 minutes left in the game. We on the bench were yelling and screaming as we pulled away from Kansas State. The crowd was going wild, further firing us up. Tim Whitaker launched a 3 that dropped cleanly through the silks and gave us a 20 point lead with 6 minutes left to play. At the final TV timeout with us leading 86-69, Coach V put me into the game. As part of an all-bench team, we played well although I personally didn’t put any stats up. 

As a team we rocked! We connected on 52% of our FG attempts (including 50% of our 3’s), held a 32-28 rebounding advantage, and a 17-10 turnover advantage. We needed all that because the refs sent the Wildcats to the foul line 20 more times than us where they scored 13 more points that did we. 

Final Score: Eastern Washington (7-3)—95, Kansas State—73.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF Tim Whitaker-24 pts, 2 assists, 4 reb, 2 steals; PG Tim Dove-17 pts, 9 assists, 3 reb, 1 steal; SG Will Davis-14 pts, 1 assist, 2 reb, 1 steal; C Colin Goode-9 pts, 1 assist, 6 reb; PG Darryl Bailey-9 pts, 1 assist, 1 reb, 1 steal, PF/C Nate Dye-7 pts, 3 assists, 7 reb, 3 steals, 1 block.

Player of the Game: SF Tim Whitaker-24 pts, 2 assists, 4 reb, 2 steals.

For Kansas State: SG Greg Respert-16 pts, 1 assist, 6 reb, 1 steal.

Award: Tim Whitaker was named Big Sky Player of the Week. Some say Dr. Yamada, his optometrist, is the one who really deserves the award.

ESPN2 Commentary

Game #11, Dec. 19, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (7-3) at Memphis Tigers (3-4)

Tonight we’re broadcasting a team that rarely gets onto national TV, the Eastern Washington Eagles. The Eagles have played well this year. Most of their wins have been by big margins and their 3 losses have be by narrow margins.

Memphis has been an up and down team this entire season. You just never know who is going to show up when the Tigers take the court this year. 
The two teams seem to be on different trajectories the past 3 years. 
Memphis is led by PG Brian Settles and SF B.B. Fisher. Eastern Washington’s SF Tim Whitaker has been on fire lately and their 7-foot C Colin Goode has been become stronger as the season unfolds.
Darryl Bailey hits a long 3. That puts Eastern Washington up 18-13. That’s the first time either team has been able to achieve more than a 2 point lead in this game. Coach Vandergard’s frequent subbing seems to be paying off for the Eagles.
Greg Cleaves receives the pass just to the right of the foul line and drives to the basket to score on a driving dunk that puts the Eagles ahead 27-16 with 8:51 remaining in the first half. The defense of Memphis really broke down on that play.
The pass goes inside to Colin Goode. He spins around the defender and gets to the bucket for an easy basket. That’s 10 points for Goode. The Eagles are taking the Tigers to school right now and lead 40-20 with just over 4 minutes left in the half.
For Memphis the half mercifully ends. Trailing 53-26, they’ve been outshot 72% to 47%, out-rebounded 13-6, and turned the ball over 11 times to the Eagles 4 turnovers. Quite a half for Eastern Washington. Colin Goode leads their scoring with 10 points but 7 players have score 5 or more points.
Memphis continues their run. Yet another turnover by Eastern Washington and a breakaway basket for the Tigers to cut the lead to 63-45.
Anthony Alston hits a baseline jumper and the Eagles win big! While Memphis played better in the 2nd half, Eastern Washington outplayed the Tigers in every aspect of the game. Memphis improved their shooting to 51% for the game, but Eastern Washington hit 63% of their shots. The Eagles dropped in 50% of their 3’s to 32% for the Tigers. EWU held a 14-12 turnover advantage. And the Eagles completely dominated the boards 30-15. An impressive showing to a national audience for a program that just 3 years ago was moribund. Not only are the Eagles’ starters strong, but they have tremendous depth. Tonight EWU got scoring and strong play from 11 players.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (8-3)—85, Memphis—59.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PG Darryl Bailey-15 pts, 3 assists, 5 reb, 1 steal; SF Tim Whitaker-14 pts, 1 assist, 2 reb; C Colin Goode-10 pts, 1 assist, 4 reb, 1 steal, 1 block; SF Derrick Reyes-9 pts, 2 assists, 2 reb; PF Cory Davis-8 pts, 4 reb; PG Tim Dove-9 pts, 1 assist; PF Donte Robinson-7 pts, 1 assist, 4 reb, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: PG Darryl Bailey-15 pts, 3 assists, 5 reb, 1 steal.

For Memphis: PG Brian Settles -11 pts, 6 assists, 3 reb, 2 steals.

Eastern Washington’s RPI is now 31st best in the nation.

Potato-Pickin’-Paul, “Eagle Flight” blog

Eastern Washington enters conference play on a high note with a 4-game win streak and strong play in every one of their 11 pre-conference games. Their starters are playing well and they have at least one strong backup at every position.

2016 Big Sky Pre-Conference 

jnf45vjx7vvfabw6g.jpg

After taking on a strong pre-conference schedule, Eastern Washington came away with an excellent record and was rewarded with a very good RPI. But Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado surprised most everyone by posting great records also. Northern Arizona had wins against Kansas State and Texas Tech. Northern Colorado scored wins over Florida State and Southern Illinois and wasn’t blown out in any game. Eastern Washington’s losses were by 5, 3 and 6 points while 7 of the Eagles’ 8 wins were by big margins.

0iq9pdu044dra3o6g.jpg

After conclusion of pre-conference play, here’s the Eagles player stats:

g80a4q14w4r1va66g.jpg

Coach Vandergard said, “I’m very pleased by our pre-conference play. The level of competition prepared us well for what turns out to be a demanding conference schedule every year. Now we just have to get keyed up for each and every game from here on out. We have to come out and play hard-nosed basketball against every opponent, no matter their record. Any letdown is likely to result in a loss. “

With respect to his players, he continued, “Our bench strength is impressive this season, particularly at the perimeter positions. Our inside reserves are a bit more raw, but improving continually. But both Cory Davis and Colin Goode have gotten into foul trouble too often and at this point, an injury to either of them would definitely weaken us.”

From this blogger’s point of view, Darryl Bailey, Will Davis or Derrick Reyes could step into the starting lineup at the 1, 2 and 3 positions respectively and the team would not lose a beat.

Vandegard concluded by saying, “Our goal this season is to get to the NCAA Tournament and then surprise people by how we play there, so it’s imperative we continue to improve as a team each and every game. Because by March we have to be rock solid to be able to get all the way through the Big Sky Conference Tournament. The past two seasons we’ve seen a Big Sky team come from the bottom of the standings and in the conference tournament knock the top teams out of an opportunity to get to the Big Dance.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne23 viewpost.gif
Go Eagles! "On a dark desert highway..."

What a great song!

"We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"

Spokane Spokesman Review sports column article

Are the Eagles for Real?

After years of basketball frustration in Cheney, are the Eastern Washington Eagles ready for big time this season?

While positive about the team’s players and how the team has fared thus far this season, Coach Vandergard continues to brush aside questions about whether his team can finally get into March Madness a few months from now. Vandergard has said the team aspires to getting to the Big Dance but then typically gives the tried and true coach’s response of having to take it one game at a time. And while he’s definitely tugged the team up by its bootstraps in his 3-1/2 years at EWU, he has had little success in the conference tournament that decides which Big Sky team goes to the NCAA Tournament.

But Darryl Bailey, the Eagles’ substitute point guard who has been playing nearly as much as starter Tim Dove, offered a different tone when asked about the team’s chances. “We’re not only ready and able, we’re set to take the Big Sky apart this season, “ said Bailey. Bailey went on to add, “We’ve been first in the regular season conference standings the past two seasons and we’re going to do it again. And this year we’re going to stomp everyone in the Big Sky tourny as well. I can’t wait until our name is called in the NCAA Selection Show this coming March.”

Eastern Washington begins Big Sky conference play later this week with an away game against North Dakota.

Larry Montgomery, 2nd asst coach

Oh boy! Coach V was screaming after reading today’s newspaper. He told me to find Darryl Bailey no matter where he was and get him into Coach V’s office post haste. Darryl was at the campus student union building playing pool when I found him. 

After closing the door to Coach V’s office after escorting Darryl there, the first thing I heard through the door was Coach V saying, “What the hell were you thinking?” The intensity level of Coach V’s voice rose after that as he lambasted Darryl for giving our upcoming opponents unnecessary ammunition. Finally Darry exited with his tail between his legs.

That afternoon before practice, Coach V called a team meeting where he laid down the law about talking with the press. He said we already have been picked as conference favorites and we didn’t need to be giving the rest of the conference even more reason to play their hardest to beat us. He told the players that he was sure that the Spokesman Review article was already posted in every one of the rest of the conference’s locker rooms. He reminded the players there wasn’t one team in the conference that couldn’t beat us on any given night. While Coach V didn’t mention Darryl Bailey at all, Darryl stepped up and apologized to his teammates for “my stupid comments” and promised to work his hardest in practices and in upcoming games to make up for them. 

Coach V then had Austin Nathaniel run a particularly rugged practice that left the players drooping.

Corky Branigan, KSPK,Radio Commentator

Game #12, Dec. 26, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (8-3, 0-0) at North Dakota Fightin’ Sioux (3-8, 0-0)

Cheney and Spokane can be plenty cold in the winter, but going to North Dakota in late December ain’t a picnic. But I haven’t been travelling much this season and missed most of last season, so it’s fun to go on the road with the Eagles for this game.

On paper this looks like a walkover for the Eagles. The Fightin’ Sioux had a rather anemic offense in pre-conference play, but they did manage to beat a Pac-12 team, Arizona State. The Eagles definitely cannot overlook anyone on the road in the Big Sky. C Andrew Everett is back as a starter for North Dakota for the 3rd year and is leading the Fightin’ Sioux in scoring with 12.8 ppg and rebounding with 7.0 rpg. Colin Goode needs to stay out of foul trouble and use his size to control Everett. Coach Vandegard told me, “We hope to keep the ball out of Everett’s hands as much as possible.” While probably a good strategy, SG Matt Barkley, who is only averaging 7.8 ppg, is hitting over 50% of his FG attempts and 3’s and 91% of his free throws, and he scored 22 points in his last game this season. So the Eagles will need to slow him down if he catches fire.

A surprise when the game began. Coach Vandergard started Tim Whitaker at SG and Derrick Reyes at SF, thus moving Shawn Jackson to the bench. Whitaker has been the Eagles top scorer and Reyes has come off the bench to repeatedly score well and hit a high percentage of his shots.

Eastern Washington looked good early taking a 12-4 lead after about 5 minutes of play. But at that point, North Dakota got untracked and began to cut into the Eagles lead. With 5:40 left in the first half, the Fightin’ Sioux overtook the Eagles when SF Lavor Jones drilled a 3 to make it 22-20. That got Eastern Washington’s attention and they reeled off a 9-0 run in the next 1-1/2 minutes. The half ended with the Eagles sporting a 37-30 lead. Tim Whitaker scored 9 and Derrick Reyes had 8 for Eastern Washington.

The Eagles held North Dakota scoreless for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half and took a 43-30 lead. North Dakota cut the Eagles lead to 5 midway through the half. That spurred the Eagles back into action and they quickly re-established a double digit lead. The refs kept inserting themselves into the game and the fouls piled up on both sides. And Eastern Washington maintained momentum from there on to win going away.

Eastern Washington outshot the Fightin’ Sioux 53% to 40% and held a 21-10 turnover advantage. With Tim Whitaker and Derrick Reyes combining for 35 points, the lineup change experiment worked for the Eagles. The Eagles held C Andrew Everett to 5 points and SG Matt Barkley to 4 points.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (9-3, 1-0, 1st place tie)—72, North Dakota—57.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SG/SF Tim Whitaker-21 pts, 2 assists, 2 reb, 1 block; SF Derrick Reyes-14 pts, 2 assists, 4 reb, 2 steals; PF Donte Robinson-12 pts, 3 reb, 1 steal; C Colin Goode-10 pts, 3 reb, 3 steals.

Player of the Game: SG/SF Tim Whitaker-21 pts, 2 assists, 2 reb, 1 block.

Award: Tim Whitaker was selected as the Big Sky’s Player of the Week again.

Mike Jackson, parent of player

Game #13, Jan. 2, 2017: Sacramento State Hornets (5-7, -0-1) at Eastern Washington Eagles (9-3, 1-0)

OK. This is ridiculous! Vandergard is sitting Shawn again. After starting nearly every game for 3 years, he’s now coming off the bench??? What gives? There’s no excuse for doing that to the best player on this team! I’m gonna give it to Vandergard tonight.

Tim Whitaker is scoring, but he’s shooting a lot to get those points. In fact, when Whitaker was starting at SF and Shawn at SG, Whitaker’s shooting was robbing Shawn of shots.

Two turnovers by Whitaker and the game’s just 3 minutes old. Finally with 13:43 left in the half, Shawn gets on the floor. Shawn got only 6 minutes of playing time at the 2, but with 4-1/2 minutes left in the half, he was put in at the 1. 3 minutes before the intermission, Shawn beat his man and drove to the bucket for a nice lay-in and his first points of the night. Then with 45 seconds to go before the break, Shawn launched and connected on a beautiful 3. The half ended with the Eagles on top 44-27. Our guys dominated the Hornets it all team statistical categories. PF Donte Robinson came off the bench to lead EWU’s scoring with 15 points. Shawn got just 11 minutes of time on the court, but scored 5 and had 2 assists, 1 rebound, and 2 steals. Meanwhile, Whitaker, who started at Shawn’s position, and Reyes who started at SF where Whitaker usually starts, played a combined 28 minutes and were both held scoreless.

Vandergard hopefully saw the light (and I’m sure heard me riding him), because he started Shawn at SG in the 2nd half. The Eagles came out firing and took a 59-30 lead just 7 minutes into the 2nd half. With 12 minutes left in the half, Shawn drove into the lane, put a shot up and then put back in his own rebound. Great hustle! The Eagles went on to record a lopsided win. 

EWU hit 55% of their shots while holding the Hornets shooting to 38%, outrebounded Sacramento State 28-21 and held a 26-11 turnover advantage. Shawn played a good game, scoring 7, dishing out 4 assists, pulling down 4 rebounds, and getting 2 steals. Nice breakout game by Donte Robinson.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (10-3, 2-0, 1st place tied)—78, Sacramento State—44.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PF Donte Robinson-21 pts, 1 assist, 5 rebs, 2 steals; PF Cory Davis-15 pts, 6 rebs; C Colin Dye-12 pts, 3 rebs, 1 steal, 1 block; C Nate Dye-10 pts, 2 rebs.

Player of the Game: PF Donte Robinson-21 pts, 1 assist, 5 rebs, 2 steals.

Meaghan Kriley

Troubles in Paradise! Well actually, troubles in Cheney and that’s hardly Paradise.

Bret says that Swede Olaffson has really changed. He used to be very effusive and outgoing. Now he doesn’t talk much and is very insular. Bret thinks all the accusations and nefarious deeds of last year plus Nancy Parker, his secretary, still being missing have accumulated in weighing Swede down and he’s depressed. But Swede won’t allow anyone to even suggest that he talk with a doctor or anyone else.

My concern is that Bret is also having difficulties, albeit possibly less severe ones. Last year was a tough year and not only is Nancy missing but Bret’s nephew has also been missing for a very long time. Annika is going crazy with fear and worry. And I’m sure Bret ix experiencing some of the same. He acknowledges some of this but quickly moves the conversation to focus on Annika. I think not being able to talk with Swede and having Jamal Smith, his old 1st assistant coach whom he’d know a long time, leave to take a head coaching job has left him with no good male friends with whom he can confide. He exhibits a much quicker temper lately. Bret is spending more time at work or reviewing game films.

Austin Nathaniel, 1st Asst Coach

Game #14, Jan. 5, 2017: Eastern Washington Eagles (10-3, 2-0) at Idaho Vandals (3-10, 0-2)

Coach V has repeatedly cautioned the players not to overlook Idaho. While playing on the road, they lost to #9 Indiana by just 7 points. And senior SF Edem McCuthison is averaging 12.3 ppg and 4.8 rpg while freshman Murray Rigby subs for him and is shooting the lights out and is averaging 11.0 ppg while playing just 12 mpg. The Vandals have a third good SF, redshirt sophomore Chris Blevins, who is riding the pine and has yet to play this season. In practice we’ve been working on keeping their 3 in check.

It’s colder than a witch’s ***, and we had a scary bus ride across the state border on icy roads to Moscow, Idaho.

Whitaker’s starting again at SG and Reyes at SF, so I guess the visit by Shawn Jackson’s father to Coach V’s office a couple days ago didn’t change our revamped lineup. After the last game when neither Whitaker nor Reyes shone, Coach V might be ready to go back to the original lineup if they don’t produce tonight.

In the first 5 minutes of the game, our shooting is as cold as the weather. Meanwhile the refs whistles against us are as hot as pistols. C Colin Goode and PF Donte Robinson are on the bench with 2 fouls apiece with 14:55 to go in the first half. Tim Whitaker caught fire at that point, scoring 8 quick points to give us a 13-5 lead with 13 minutes to play before intermission. His success carried over to the rest of our team and we took a 37-20 lead with 4 minutes to go. The half ended with us ahead 42-26, having hit 60% of our shots and out-playing the Vandals in every aspect of the game, other than fouls and free throw shooting where they had an 8 point advantage. Three players from our bench scored a combined 25 points, led by Will Davis’ 10 points.

While our shooting cooled, we played a solid 2nd half and held an 18-22 point lead throughout most of the half and only allowed Idaho to close the score a little in the last few minutes. We dominated the boards 29-17.

Final Score: eastern Washington 911-3, 3-0, 1st place tie)—69, Idaho—55.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SG Will Davis-12 pts, 2 assists, 3 reb, 1 steal; C Colin Goode-11 pts, 1 assist, 6 reb, 2 steals; SF Tim Whitaker-11 pts, 3 reb, 2 steals; PG Darryl Bailey-10 pts, 3 assists, 3 reb.

Player of the Game: C Colin Goode-11 pts, 1 assist, 6 reb, 2 steals.

For Idaho: SF Edem McCuthison hit 6 of 8 from the field and finished with 16 points but we held his substitute, Murray Rigby, to just 3 points. SF Shawn Thurston scored 10 points, and had 4 assists, 8 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 block.

McGillicuddy’s Tavern

Paul Woodhouse, Cheney Police Department

While on patrol last night, the bartender at McGIllicuddy’s Tavern, reported a disturbance. When I arrived 5 minutes later at 1:42 a.m. things had settled down, but it appeared as though 2 players from the EWU Eagles basketball team were involved in what started out as an argument between inebriated patrons and escalated to a lot of pushing and shoving and maybe a few drunken punches. I’m a big fan of the Eagles so opted to pull the players aside and give them a good admonishment and then had the bartender call a cab, and ushered them into the taxi when it arrived.

Delvon Washington, 3rd assistant coach

A rumor came my way today that a couple of our players (unnamed) were drunk at a local bar last night and the police were involved but no one was charged or arrested. I thought about reporting it to Coach V. But I then decided to just keep it to myself since there was no definitive information...and if it did occur, it was apparently resolved without incident. Hell, guys in college sometimes have to blow off a little pressure at times.

Jack Cooper, Barber

My customers are always talking and spouting off about things that happen in Cheney. Most of the time they know nothing about what they are commenting on, but I humor them. Today, a couple different guys mentioned there was a scuffle at McGillicuddy’s last night and that a bunch of players from the Eagle’s basketball team were involved. One customer said the players were provoked, but the other said that the players were so drunk that they were being obnoxious to other patrons at the bar.

Coach V came in for a haircut while the one customer was still in my chair. My customer fortunately shut up, since I doubt he had any first-hand knowledge anyway and probably didn’t want to cause problems. I just hoped it wasn’t any of the players who come in here for haircuts and was happy there was no discussion about it while Coach V was here, since I’d hate to see any of the team get into trouble. The team’s playing so well this season, that I certainly don’t want to see the team being thrown into disarray.

Bud Springfield, Eagles’ Wings Fan Club President, owns Springfield Ford dealership

Game #15, Jan. 9, 2017: Northern Colorado Bears (8-6, 1-2) at Eastern Washington Eagles (11-3, 3-0)

After winning their first 5 games this season, the going has been tough for the Bears. Junior SG Doylan Abraham, in his second season as team leader of the Bears, is averaging 12.7 ppg.

Northern Arizona won earlier today so the Lumberjacks are atop the Big Sky standings at 4-0 pending the outcome of tonight’s game.

The Eagles have been playing well and Reese Court is nearly filled tonight. The Eagles’ Wings Fan Club continues to get larger and many of them are here with me tonight.

C Colin Goode scored 14 of Eastern Washington’s first 18 points and the Eagles led by 8 with 13:10 to go in the first half. With 6-1/4 minutes to play in the half, the Eagles lead ballooned to 19 points at 31-12. The Eagles continued to play solid defense, holding the Bears’ shooting to 37% and forcing 13 turnovers enroute to a 41-22 halftime advantage. Eastern Washington out-rebounded Northern Colorado 17-7 and hit 65% of their shots. Colin Goode took control inside and netted 18 points.

We’re still running the “Sink the Shot for a Ford” contest during the halftime. The kid selected tonight just gave the ball a heave with one hand…damn if it didn’t nearly drop in…but off the rim slightly. So still no winner. Tonight we announced our “Valentines’ Sweetheart” deal coming up in February. February is a slow month in the car business, but we’re going to really market and advertise this year to try to amp things up.

The Eagles kept the Bears in check throughout the 2nd half by applying a staunch defense and controlling the boards. The lead was never less than 17 points and expanded to as much as 26 points. The Bears trimmed the margin a little with a flurry of points in the last few minutes of the game. Northern Colorado hit 41% of their shots compared to the Eagles’ 51% shooting. EWU had a 29-20 rebounding advantage and a 24-12 turnover advantage.

Many of the Eagles’ Wing Fan Club went out for a big victory celebration after the game that I held at my Ford dealership. Some of them even looked over some of my cars.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (12-3, 4-0, 1st place tie)—69, Northern Colorado—52.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Colin Goode-20 pts, 2 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals; SF Tim Whitaker-9 pts, 1 assist, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block; PF Cory Davis-8 pts, 1 assist, 6 rebounds, 2 steals.

Player of the Game: C Colin Goode-20 pts, 2 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steal.

For Northern Colorado: We held SG Doylan Abraham to 10 points with just 4 of those scored from the field.

Potato-Pickin’-Paul, “Eagle Flight” blog

Game #16, Jan. 12, 2017: Eastern Washington Eagle (12-3, 4-0) at Weber State Wildcats (4-11, 2-2)

The Eagles bring an 8 game win streak to the line tonight in an away game against Weber State. What’s the difference between the Eagles this season and their team of last year? #1….much better DEEE-FENSE; #2…better ball control and less turnovers, #3…improved rebounding, #4…deeper bench.

Will Davis is getting his first start at SG with Tim Whitaker moving back to SF and SG Shawn Jackson and SF Derrick Reyes beginning the game on the bench.

Weber State had a rough pre-conference, but did journey to Florida and come within 6 points of upsetting #3 Florida. They’ve won both of their home games thus far in conference play. None of their players have stood out as go-to guys, but walk-on PG Teddy Booth has been their most efficient scorer.

Tim Whitaker scored 8 points in the first 5 minutes but was then called for his 2nd foul sending him to the bench with the Eagles leading 12-4. Ahead 18-8, the Eagles fell apart midway through the half, allowing the Wildcats to score 9 straight points to pull within a point’s difference. Neither team could pull away the rest of the half, and the Eagles went to the locker room with a slim 33-31 lead. The Eagles out-rebounded Weber State 15-9 but turned the ball over 9 times to the Wildcat’s 6 turnovers. C Colin Goode scored 10 points to lead EWU’s scoring.

The Eagles scored the first 16 points (8 of those by Colin Goode) of the 2nd half to take an 18 point lead at the 15:58 mark. EWU expanded their lead to as much as 24 and coasted to an easy win. The Eagles won by dominating the boards 31-16, turning the ball over just 5 times in the 2nd half, outshooting the Wildcats 51% to 41%, and hitting 8 of 12 from 3-point land. 

Final Score: Eastern Washington (13-3, 5-0, 1st place tie)—76, Weber State—55.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Colin Goode-24 pts, 6 reb, 1 steal; SF Tim Whitaker-20 pts, 2 assists, 5 reb, 1 steal; SG Shawn Jackson-13 pts, 1 assist, 2 reb.

Player of the Game: C Colin Goode-24 pts, 6 reb, 1 steal.

RPI: Our RPI improved to 36th best in the nation. Northern Arizona, which has an identical season and conference record to ours has the 33rd best RPI in the country.

Mary Forrester, retired Eastern Washington University librarian

Game #17, Jan. 16, 2017: Montana Grizzlies (8-8, 2-3) at Eastern Washington Eagles (13-3, 5-0)

I’ve been a fan of the Eagles ever since I first began working at the college 57 years ago. Yes, that makes me old. You’re not supposed to ask a woman her age, but I know you are wondering so I’ll just tell you. I was hired by EWU in 1960 and I retired in 1992. So that means I was born in 1927 and just turned 90 years young a week ago. I may well be the Eagles oldest regular fan at these games. During the 57 years I’ve been coming to basketball games at EWU, I’ve mostly watched teams that lost more games than they won. So the recent turn-around since Coach Vandergard came to Cheney is a big treat. 

It turns out the college and athletic department have decided to honor me tonight. I guess they think I’m getting old and might not be around much longer.

Montana’s season has pretty much been characterized by a series of 3 or 4 game win or loss streaks. Right now they are on a 3-game loss streak. As you’re probably well aware, that contrasts with EWU’s present 9-game win streak.

Will Davis is starting again at SG, so that means we will have to listen to Shawn Jackson’s father mouth off the entire game deriding how Coach Vandergard treats his son, who the father seems to think is the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan. I like Shawn, but will be glad to see him graduate at the end of this season just to get rid of his father’s 4 straight years of inane blathering at these games. It makes me wish my hearing was worse that it is.

Our guys moved out to an 8-1 lead in the first 2-1/2 minutes. Ughh, but then Colin Goode was called for his 2nd personal after less than 3 minutes of play. Cory Davis moved to center and Donte Robinson came in at PF. The referees were calling fouls on our guys nearly every time the Grizzlies brought the ball into the forecourt. After the first TV timeout, Nate Dye replaced Cory Davis to prevent him from picking up his 2nd foul. The Eagles were having to contend with 5 Grizzlies plus their cohorts, the referees. But by shooting well, they still were able to open a 15 point lead with 6-1/2 minutes to play in the half. The half ended with the Eagles on top 44-25. While the Grizzlies out-rebounded EWU 17-10, the Eagles controlled the game with good defense (Montana hit just 35% of their shots and turned the ball over 14 times) plus good shooting (the Eagles hit 57% of their FG attempts). Donte Robinson was the Eagles top scorer with 10 points.

Halftime came and I was escorted onto the court where Clement Morgan, the President of the college, presented me with a nice plaque, a lifetime pass to Eagles games (ha ha, maybe not a gift that will cost them much), and some kinds words.

Then that stupid halftime contest was conducted. The shot is so long that I doubt anyone will ever win a Ford and tonight’s contestant missed the basket by a good 20 feet. Bud Springfield's getting a lot of publicity out of this with little chance anyone will ever get a free car from him. But I imagine Bud has a lemon or two in the back corner of his lot in the event someone does win.

Much to his father’s delight, Shawn Jackson started at SG in the 2nd half and hit two quick 3’s, putting the Eagles ahead 50-27 with 18 minutes to go. 

When the young whippersnapper sitting next to me (well, ok, he probably was nearly 60 years old) asked me if I wanted to head home and get some sleep when EWU took a 28 point lead shortly thereafter, I told him, “Of course not, SONNY! We’re playing too well for me to leave! But don't let me keep you here up past your bedtime.” Coach Vandergard played his bench for most of the 2nd half. The Eagles’ bench scored 50 of the team’s 82 points.

The Grizzles dominated the boards 30-20, but the Eagles held a 24-5 turnover advantage!!! They also outshot the Grizzlies 53% to 44%.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (14-3, 6-0, 1st place tie)—82, Montana—56.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: PF Donte Robinson-12 pts, 3 reb, 2 steals; SG Anthony Austin-11 pts, 2 assists, 2 reb, 1 block; SG Shawn Jackson-11 pts, 2 reb, 1 steal; C Colin Goode-8 pts, 1 assist, 3 reb, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: PF Donte Robinson-12 pts, 3 reb, 2 steals.

Ryan Vaughan and Jerry Broadstone, KSPK play-by-play broadcasters

Game #18, Jan. 19, 2017: Eastern Washington Eagles (14-3, 6-0) at Idaho State Bengals (6-11, 2-4)

[Ryan]Good evening folks, I’m Ryan Vaughan and I’m here with Jerry Broadstone to bring you tonight’s Eastern Washington Eagle’s game against the Idaho State Bengals in Pocatello, Idaho. The Eagles are riding a 10-game win streak but need to win to stay tied for the conference lead with Northern Arizona. Northern Arizona played earlier today at home and trailed the Montana State Bobcats throughout the 1st half. Down by 9 at the half, the Lumberjacks rallied in the 2nd half and won a surprisingly tight game 79-72 to stay undefeated in Big Sky play.

Idaho State, the Eagles’ opponents tonight, has been inconsistent this season, but has won 5 of their 7 home games. SG Ales Peper and C Nate Dawson are both averaging just over 10 ppg.

[Jerry] Yes, Ryan, but I think the guy the Eagles need to be concerned about is freshman PG Brent Meads, who has been impressive coming off the bench. He’s only 5 ft, 8 inches tall and is averaging about 14 minutes per game, but has scored in double figures 5 times this season and been close to double figures several other times. He’s got a sweet shot and isn’t afraid to put the ball up.

[Ryan] Will Davis is starting at the 2 for the Eagles again tonight, even though Shawn Jackson had a good last game. But I think Coach Vandergard may like how he’s playing coming in off the bench.

[Jerry] Phew! This court with the orange and black tiger stripes in the key sort of makes your eyes cross.
The Eagles’ 7 foot center Colin Goode again picks up 2 quick fouls and goes to the bench after less than 2 minutes of play. The kid just can’t avoid getting into early foul trouble. Maybe it’s his big wing span that catches the referees’ attention.
3-1/2 minutes into the game, the Bengals finally get their first points. Unfortunately for the Eagles, they have only been able to score 4 points thus far.
With Ales Peper picking up his 2nd personal at the 15:43 mark, that brings Brent Meads in at PG for the Bengals.
With the score knotted at 6-6 at the 12:26 mark, this has been one ugly game. Neither team can find the bucket, both are turning the ball over way too much, and the refs are stopping play with whistles against both teams.
Man, yet another foul. Somebody grab those whistles and hide ‘em. Peper makes both shots and puts Idaho State on top 27-26 with 3:21 to go in the first half.
The half mercifully ends. My ears couldn’t take another whistle. The Eagles trail 35-32. The two teams played equally poorly. The only difference was the Bengals were sent to the line 6 more times where they scored 3 more points than the Eagles. SF Tim Whitaker leads the Eagles’ scoring with 8 points, but EWU is hitting just 40% of their shots.
Trailing 47-38, Bailey brings the ball up court for the Eagles. He dribbles to the left and dumps a pass in to Goode. Goode takes a step and turns putting the ball up and banks it in off the backboard. And he was fouled. His free throw drops through making the score 47-41 at the 13:46 mark.
Will Davis shakes his man and drops in another 3 and the Eagles tie the game at 52-52 with 10 minutes to play.
Whitaker drives but the lane is clogged. He kicks it back to Dove who drains a 3 to put the Eagles ahead 57-54.
Whoa!! Back to back 3’s by Tim Whitaker and the Eagles take a 63-57 lead with 6:15 on the clock.
Jackson takes a bounce pass from Bailey on the right side of the key. He puts up a quick jumper that is off the rim, but he was fouled on the shot. He’ll be at the line for 2 shots with 1:26 remaining. Jackson sinks both shots and EWU takes a 72-67 lead.
Following the traveling call against the Bengals, the Eagles in bound it with 1:11 remaining. Bailey brings the ball up court and he ball goes down to Jackson on the baseline. He’s fouled. With the double bonus, he’ll get two shots. The first shot drops. Jackson cans the 2nd and the Eagles are ahead by 7. Idaho State calls a time out. 
EWU has a full court press on to take some seconds off the clock. The Bengals bring it across midcourt. They can’t get off a quick shot. The ball goes to the head of the key, but Johnson’s 3 is off the mark and Jackson rebounds for the Eagles. He turns the ball over to Dove who is fouled after bringing it into the forecourt. Tim Dove makes the first but misses the 2nd shot and Idaho State rebounds and quickly brings it up court, trailing by 8. Shawn Jackson fouls Johnson with 35 seconds to go. Vandergard is not happy about that. Johnson makes both shots for the Bengals and the score is 75-69 with 35 ticks on the clock. 
The Bengals foul Tim Dove with 27 seconds left. Dove hits ‘em both giving the Eagles an 8 point bulge again. Meads sinks a 3 from the corner to cut the lead to 5. Tim Dove is again fouled, making one of two with 8 seconds to go. That will do it. Eastern Washington escapes with a tough, comeback win on the road. The difference in this game came down to turnovers…the Eagles had 15 turnovers but forced the Bengals to turn the ball over 22 times.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (15-3, 7-0, 1st place tie)—78, Idaho State—72.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF Tim Whitaker-18 pts, 1 assist, 1 reb, 2 steals; PF Donte Robinson-9 pts, 1 assist, 9 reb; PG Tim Dove-11 pts, 2 assists, 1 reb, 1 steal; SG Will Davis-10 pts, 1 assist, 1 steal; C Colin Goode-9 pts, 1 assist, 4 reb, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: SF Tim Whitaker-18 pts, 1 assist, 1 reb, 2 steals.

For Idaho State: PG Brent Meads scored 13 points coming off the bench.

On Bret's Voice Mail

no return number:
"Thank you Uncle Bwet for my birfday pwesent! Uncle Vito is gonna take me tomowwow for tawget pwactice! Oh, and thank that Uncle Mommy person too for my new book, The Anarchist's Handbook. It has lot's of big words but not dat many pctuwes."

[Copied from post by CoachC in Wolverine Forums]

Annika Vandergard, Bret's sister

After we listened to the message on Bret's phone, Bret immediately got our “Brain Trust” together now that there is a new piece of evidence in the disappearance of my son Tommy. That group includes:

Alek Johannsen, private investigator and ex Navy Seal
Corky Branigan, KSPK radio commentator and ex Navy Seal
Tom Gordon, Cheney PD
Lawrence Lawrence, federal investigator
Meaghan Kriley, KSPK TV investigative reporter
Terri Olaffson Foster, Asst District Attorney (and daughter of Swede Olaffson)
Ben Austin, Dept of Homeland Security (and a friend of Alec Johanssen

Ben Austin uses his DHS authority to get the telephone company to release records that show the call came from a pay phone in Queens, NY.

Lawrence Lawrence provides information about a Vito Spinosa who, when Luigi Carpelli was running the Carpelli family, was a young muscle for the family.

The group identifies the location of the pay phone in Queens and begins checking on video cameras on businesses in the area to see if they picked up Tommy (and whoever was with him) going to the phone.

Austin Nathaniel, 1st Asst Coach

Coach V told me he got a call a little after midnight last night. It was the bartender at McGillicuddy’s who said something about a player causing problems at his bar. Coach V went down to the tavern wondering which player it was. But when he got there it wasn’t one player…it was three! Will Davis, Darryl Bailey, and Greg Cleaves were drunk as skunks, hitting (or better put, trying to hit) on women and giving those who were with the women all kinds of grief. Luckily there hadn’t been a fight yet. Coach says he grabbed all three of them and physically yanked them out of the tavern. He laid into them in the parking lot and then drove them back to school. 

This morning he went over and woke each of them up and told them to not miss any classes today but to be into his office an hour before practice. He had me come in for the meeting also. They all showed up on time and were a bit sheepish when they walked into his office. He gave them a good talking to and told them he should suspend each of them, but that he wasn’t going to do it. 

Instead he got the team together before practice began that afternoon and told them 3 of their teammates had let them down. He had each of the 3 get up and apologize to their teammates. Coach V then told everyone that while he wasn’t suspending these guys, that the next players who got into alcohol problems, whether it was one of these 3 or anyone else on the team, was in for a long suspension. He said rather than suspending these 3, they were going to spend time after each practice this week with him, running the bleachers.

I stayed after practice also and watched. Those guys left with their tongues hanging out and sweat pouring off their bodies and the knowledge that they were going to be in the same condition the next 6 non-game days. 

Coach V also has Cory Davis, senior team leader, checking up on those 3 guys to keep them in check.

Delvon Washington, 3rd asst coach

After “The Incident” (as we assistants are referring to it), I kept thinking about the “rumor” that I blew off rather than investigating or talking over with Coach V. Finally I could stand it no longer so I went in and talked with Coach V explaining what I’d heard and what I’d not done. Coach V listened and then said, “Delvon, sometimes it’s difficult to know what to do when unusual situations occur. But as you now know, you’re not doing the players any favors and you’re not truly protecting them by sweeping things under the rug. But don’t be too hard on yourself. We all make mistakes at times. It’s a learning process. I’m sure that you now realize that it’s imperative to check things out thoroughly and let others know. Let’s just go out there and get this team playing better than they’ve been playing. Your scouting reports are vital to that process.”

Two Separate Occurrences

Meaghan Kriley's Mailbox

Meaghan opens up a card addressed in crayon and discovers a child's Valentine card. Inside it reads, also in crayon, "When we danced together, I knew you were in love with me. Would you be mine, won't you be mine, won''t you be my valentine?"

phone call late in the night

x: "progress?"
y: "you betcha, boss. This week 2 more members of the team accepted fake Id's. THe whole team is a bunch of lushes. We'll continue to monitor the situation and send our mole in to bust em. By the conference tournament either half the team will be suspended or Vandergard will be in deep for not taking control of the situation."

[Copied from 2 separate posts by CoachC in the Wolverine Forums]

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now