PointGuard

Who's Bret Vandergard and what's he done for us lately? [DDSCB3]

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director

Worried about Nancy Parker, Swede checks with some of her friends, then has the manager of her apartment knock on her door. When there is no answer, the manager enters. No one is in her apartment, but the TV is on and some Kellogg’s Special K with cut strawberries sits forlornly sopped up in milk in a bowl on her counter. A coat lies on the floor near her front door. Otherwise nothing seems amiss. Her car is still in the apartment parking lot.
Swede calls the Cheney Police Department, but is told it is too early to consider this a missing person’s case. 

Swede then calls Alec Johanssen:

SO: Alec I need you on this case. And yes, do whatever you need to do to get to the bottom of this. By the way, Nancy Parker didn’t come into work today, I can’t reach her, she’s not in her apartment, and her friends don’t know where she may be.

AJ: Damn! I’ll be right over. On the way, I’m going to call Corky Branigan to work with me. Didn’t you say there was a police officer you thought you could trust?

SO: Yes, Tom Gordon.

AJ: Swede, I think you should try to get him over to meet with me and Corky. Keep checking with anyone you can think of who might know something about Ms Parker. Oh, and see if you can get that reporter, Meaghan Kriley, to meet with us as well. I was impressed by her plus she and Ms Parker seemed to get along quite well. If she’s willing to work with us, I think she will bring some valuable skills to the team.

SO: Sure, Alec. I’m worried about Nancy so I hope you’re able to find her as soon as possible.

Special News Bulletin on KSPO TV

In a surprise announcement, Lieutenant Governor Boswell Havrisham announced his resignation this morning. With his unsmiling wife standing silently beside him, Havrisham made a short announcement saying how honored he was to have served the citizens of Washington in several different political positions the past 28 years. He said that personal issues have necessitated his resignation. Havrisham did not go into detail about the nature of those personal issues.

Governor Steven Ingraham issued a brief press release praising Havrisham for his lengthy record of service to the state.

Bud Springfield, Eagles’ Wings Fan Club President, owns Springfield Ford dealership

Game #18, Jan. 20, 2016: Idaho State Bengals (13-4, 4-2) at Eastern Washington Eagles (12-5, 5-1)

Great showing by the Eagles’ Wings Fan Club. It’s nearly a sell-out at Reese Court tonight as the talented Idaho State Bengals come to Cheney to take on EWU. After a very strong pre-conference record, the Bengals stumbled early in Big Sky play, losing two straight games on the road. But they righted their ship and have won their last 3 games and are just one game behind the Eagles.

The Bengals are led by SG Matt Vaughn who is averaging 15.4 ppg and PG Odie Garrett who has chipped in 11.1 ppg while dishing out 3.2 apg. These 2 seniors have led Idaho State’s scoring for the past 3 seasons.

Cory Davis’ back is still giving him problems so Odie Joseph will join Brian Dearman up front for the tip off while Danya Lawson will start his 2nd straight game at SF. Shawn Jackson and Tim Dove will start as usual at the guard positions.

The Eagles turn the ball over in their first two possessions, but then Lawson hit a long 3 and scored 10 seconds later on a driving dunk coming off a steal. We score 11 points in 80 seconds. The house is rocking! Idaho State’s Matt Vaughn picks up his 2nd foul at the 16:20 mark. Our team cools a bit but defensively we force a lot of turnovers and move out to a 27-13 lead with 9 minutes left to go in the half. A little later we open a 22 point lead. When the buzzer sounds our lead is smaller but we still have a healthy 41-24 advantage. 

In the first half the Eagles totally controlled the Bengals: hitting 54% of their shots compared to the Bengals’ 42%, forcing 13 turnovers while making just 6, outrebounding Idaho State 15-8, having a 26-6 advantage on points scored in the paint and a 19-2 advantage on fast break points. Odie Joseph made the most of his start leading the scoring with 8 points and pulling down 6 boards, but Danya Lawson had 7 points in just 9 minutes before he got into foul trouble. Will Davis continues to quietly improve his play at SG coming off the bench and quickly hitting some key baskets.

During the half, the student picked for the Sink the Shot For a Ford contest was the first one in 9 home games to get close to making the shot. His shot hit off the right side rim. So no car, but actually I wouldn’t have minded if he’d made it since the publicity would be even greater if had won a new Ford.

Early in the 2nd half, things turn around and Idaho State cuts the Eagles’ lead to 9 points with 12 minutes to play. The Eagles respond by re-establishing a 56-41 lead with 9:18 to go. Although the Bengals make a mini-run late, the Eagles prevail comfortably.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (13-5, 6-1, 1st place)—77, Idaho State—67.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Odie Joseph-13 pts, 7 reb, 1 steal; SF/SG Danya Lawson-14 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals; PG Tim Dove-13 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist; PG Darryl Bailey-12 pts, 2 reb, 1 assists.

Player of the Game: SF/SG Danya Lawson-14 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals.

For Idaho State: SG Matt Vaughn-22 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist.

The win coupled with Southern Utah’s loss gave the Eagles sole possession of 1st place in the Big Sky Conference. The two wins this week improved our RPI to 46th best in the nation.

Big Sky Freshman of the Week Award: Danya Lawson won the award for the 4th straight week (and 5th time this season).

Annika Vandergard, Bret’s sister

(Meeting with Meaghan Kriley at Bret’s house)

AV: Thanks for coming over Meaghan. I know you have your own problems to handle, but I’m sure the drugs were planted in your car in an attempt to set you up. I also believe that the person responsible for that is also behind Nancy Parker’s disappearance, the slashing of Bret’s tires, and at least in part responsible for the harassment last year of Bret, Mr. Olaffsen, and the university president.

MK: And just why do you say that, Annika?

AV: Because all have one similarity…the single word “consequences”.

MK: Yes, my car had that note on it just before I was arrested. And Bret told me that a note with those words was on his car when the tires were slashed. And I had heard that the word came up from time to time last year during the issues related to the university and the basketball program. But it also was associated with Nancy’s disappearance?

AV: Yes, but you can’t let that be known yet. Bret said that Mr. Olaffsen told him that the manager of the apartment found that word scribbled on the mirror in Nancy’s bathroom. So far that hasn’t been shared with the police yet. Mr. Olaffsen wants Mr. Johanssen and Mr. Branigan to know about it first, plus the police still haven’t done anything to check into Nancy’s disappearance. Mr. Olaffsen and Bret are incensed with the Cheney Police Department.

MK: That’s extremely disturbing.

AV: So to get to the crux of this matter: Meaghan, who was one of the primary people you’ve been investigating recently?

MK: You’re referring to…….Christine Rozniak?

AV: Exactly! I believe that after Bret stopped dating her, he became a victim. And even though you and Bret haven’t made it publicly known that the two of you are seeing each other, it’s not hard to figure out. So once that happened, might she not have decided to target you as well? I’m not yet sure what she may have against Mr. Olaffsen, the president of the university, or Nancy.

MK: Wait a minute! I have a possible connection, at least for Nancy. Nancy told me she tried setting up one of her friends with Bret a couple years ago. I think Bret took her to at least one event at which Christine Rozniak saw them and was visibly upset. Nancy was convinced that Rozniak was behind her friend being forced out of her apartment shortly thereafter. And Nancy’s tires were slashed not much later.

AV: So either a most unusual set of some eerie consequences or a very definite pattern. And I’m of the mind that the latter is the case.

MK: I appreciate your discussing this with me, Annika, but there’s still no definite connection.

AV: I agree. But what if someone were to get the word to Christine Rozniak, and only her, that a woman had moved in with Bret. Someone by the name of Annika Rothman. It wouldn’t even be a lie. Even though I go by my maiden name, I’m married to Jimmy Rothman. Since no one would know of this, if anything strange were to happen and the word “consequences” were used, it would be quite obvious that Christine Rozniak was responsible.

MK: Wait, wait! Annika that could be dangerous. You can’t do that. Plus you have a husband and a son who could be affected by anything she might do.

AV: Oh, I’ve thought about that. But Jimmy needs to go to visit his parents in Illinois and I think Tommy’s grandparents would be delighted to see Tommy as well. So they will be gone for a while. 

MK: But something could happen to you.

AV: Meghan, Bret has a state of the art security system at this house. There is no need for me to go out for any reason and the house can remain securely locked. But I can leave my rental car parked in the driveway…a prime and easy target, for which whoever is behind this has a pattern of focusing upon. Mainly though, I wanted you to know about this. I can’t tell Bret about it since he’d never go along with it.

(The two talk a lot more about this, but in the end, Annika is resolute about proceeding. She accedes, though, to Meaghan’s demand that Annika get Bret to agree to a “friend” of Annika’s visiting and staying at the house while Jimmy is gone. Due to her work on a story a few years ago, Meaghan knows a woman who is well-trained in self-defense and security and very capable of providing protection, should that be necessary. The “news” about Annika “Rothman” living with Bret Vandergard is spread through a series of fake facebook members in a circuitous route that eventually ends up only in the facebook account of Christine Rozniak and is untraceable to either Annika or Meaghan.)

Story in Sports Section of the Spokane Spokesman-Review

Eagles Atop Big Sky

With their 77-67 win last night over Idaho State, the Eastern Washington Eagles took over sole possession of first place in the Big Sky Conference. The win coupled with Southern Utah’s loss to Portland State broke what had been a logjam with as many as five teams. But as other teams sustained losses in the past few weeks, the Eagles winning and the number of teams tied with them continually decreased culminating in last night’s accomplishment for the team.

Coach Bret Vandergard said, While I’m proud of how our team has played, we cannot relax because other teams are poised to jump back up into the fray for the conference championship.” Two teams, Portland State and Southern Utah, are just a game behind the Eagles. Two other teams are another game back.

The precariousness of their perch at the top will be on display in their next game. They travel to Cedar City, Utah to take on the Southern Utah Thunderbirds. While a win in Cedar City will give the Eagles some breathing room in the Big Sky, a loss to the Thunderbirds would create another tie for first place.

With two wins last week, the Eagles’ RPI improved to 46th best in the nation amongst Division I teams. In addition, Danya Lawson continued to lead the team offensively with 21 points against Montana and 14 against Idaho State. That resulted in his being named the Big Sky’s Freshman Player of the Week for the fourth straight week and the fifth time this season. “I was very happy having Danya come off the bench as our sixth man to infuse some quick offense, but his scoring and overall play finally won him a starting role,” said Vandergard.

When asked who else had surprised him this season, Vandergard said that all the newcomers to the team had produced better than expected. He added, “Besides Danya, JC transfer Colin Goode (9.1 ppg before being injured), and freshmen players Darryl Bailey (5.5 ppg) and Byron Crawford (4.9 ppg) as well as redshirt sophomore Will Davis (4.4 ppg) have played and scored well. They’ve all been positive additions to a strong core of junior and senior returning players.”

In response to a question about Goode’s injury, Vandergard commented, “It was a big blow to lose Colin who had been playing well and improving each week before fracturing a bone in his arm. We’re hopeful that he’ll be back to give us a boost for the conference tournament, though. But injuries can turn things around. Last week Cory Davis injured his back. We were unable to start him against Idaho State and while he come off the bench for short spells, he was not able to be effective like he normally is. Fortunately, Odie Joseph stepped in and played well and it looks like Cory will be back at 100% for the game against Southern Utah. We’re going to need him for that tough road game.”

The upcoming game against Southern Utah will be a challenge since the Thunderbirds are playing better that expected. “The Thunderbirds have played well against Big Sky teams,” said Vandergard. “In addition to have to play them on their home court, we’ve got to figure out a way to stop their twin centers. David Thomas and Gary Williams have split time at that position and the two of them are averaging a combined 27+ ppg.”

The Eagles game against Utah State will be broadcast live on KSPK radio at 6:30 Tuesday night. The Eagles then return home for a game Friday against Northern Arizona.

Excerpts from KSPK’s play-by-play

Game #19, Jan. 24, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (13-5, 6-1) at Southern Utah Thunderbirds (11-7, 5-2)

This is Ryan Vaughan and Jerry Broadstone bringing you another exciting Eastern Washington Eagles game. Tonight we’re in Cedar City, Utah where the first place Eagles take on the 2nd place Southern Utah Thunderbirds. The Thunderbirds are led by starting center David Thomas, 13.9 ppg and his able replacement Gary Williams (13.3 ppg). 

Tonight Coach Bret Vandergard is starting 6-1 Tim Dove at PG, 6-4 Shawn Jackson at SG, 6-4 Danya Lawson at SF, 6-8 Brian Dearman at PF and 6-9 Cory Davis at C.

We’ll return for the tip off in 60 seconds after a word from our sponsors.
Wow, Jerry, just 30 seconds into the game and on the Eagles first possession, the refs call 3 fouls against the Thunderbirds. It’s brought out the boo-birds. Yeah, Ryan, the home crowd is really getting on the refs!
Less the 2 minutes into the game and two Thunderbirds’ starters already on the bench with foul trouble, PG Marvin Bakken and C David Thomas. Cory Davis sinks both free throws to put Eastern Washington up 8-2.
Gary Williams tearing the Eagles up! Coming off the bench to replace David Thomas, Williams has taken the ball to the hoops 7 times and scored every time! That one puts Southern Utah ahead for the first time, 20-18. Eastern Washington calls a time out so Coach Vandergard can talk to his players about stopping that guy.
The buzzer sounds ending the half with Southern Utah leading 31-27. That lead is totally due to Gary Williams who finished that half with 16 points, hitting 8 of 9 from the field. The only way the Eagles got him to miss was to force him to take a shot from more than 5 feet from the bucket. Williams also hauled down 6 boards. Eastern Washington is going to have to figure a way to control him in the 2nd half. EWU started out shooting well, but they cooled off in the last 10 minutes of the half. Cory Davis led their scoring with 7 points.
The Eagles have gone to a 1-3-1 zone each time Gary Williams comes onto the court and it’s working. He’s not getting many touches and when he’s got a shot, he’s missed. 
Odie Joseph makes just 1 of 2 free throws which leaves the Thunderbirds on top 53-52. Jason King lofts up a 3 which drops through. The Eagles trail 56-52 with 1:47 left.
Trailing 58-52, the Eagles call another time out. Tim Dove tosses the ball over to Jackson on the wing, but before he can get off a 3 point shot, he’s fouled. Jackson sinks both shots to make it 58-54 with 1:03 remaining.
Dove fouls Bakken on the inbounds play. Bakken misses the first. His second shot is good. The Eagles get the ball with 59 seconds to play and trailing 59-54.
Vandergard calls a time out with 54 seconds on the clock. The ball goes to Jackson on the right side, but he can’t get free for the shot. He passes it into Dearman in the key who goes back to Dove out front. He puts up a 3 that rims out. Southern Utah rebounds. Jackson fouls Quinn. Quinn drops in both free throws making it 61-54 with just 33 seconds to go.
The Eagles call their final time out. This time the ball goes to Lawson. He puts up the 3 but it’s off the mark and the Thunderbirds control the rebound. With not enough time remaining, the Eagles opt not to foul and let Southern Utah run out the clock. Ohhhhh!!!! Ryan Taylor lofts up an unguarded 3 just before the buzzer and it’s good! The Eagles’ players aren’t taking THAT well. Word are flying. Coach Vandergard is out onto the court quickly pushing his guys off toward the visitors’ locker room before things can get out of hand. The Eagles are likely to remember that hit the salt that was rubbed in their eyes should the two teams match up in the Big Sky Tournament.
The Eagles had their chances in the 2nd half, even taking a small lead a few times, but they just couldn’t make their shots when it was needed, hitting just 36% of their FG attempts and 22% of their 3’s. With the win, Southern Utah climbs back into a first place tie with the Eagles.

Final Score: Southern Utah—65, Eastern Washington (13-6, 6-2, 1st place tie)--55.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Cory Davis-13 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal; PF Brian Dearman-8 pts, 7 reb, 1 assist.

Player of the Game: Southern Utah’s C Gary Williams-18 pts, 6 reb, 1 steal.

Annika Vandergard (Rothman)—Bret’s sister

On January 24th at about 11:45 pm, while Bret was out of town in Utah, the security alarm went off and lights popped on outside. I got out of bed but by the time I got out into the hallway, Ginger Fallstaff, my “friend” who really is the woman Meaghan Kriley had come over to provide extra security, was already making her way down the hall. I knew the woman was fit and muscular, but now I see that she’s packing. I don’t know what kind of gun she has but it looked mighty big in her hand. She checked out the interior of the house. All was in order. We then reviewed the security system video recorder. It showed a guy running away from the side of the house, but his face was not visible.

At that point the Cheney police showed up in response to the alarm. Ginger had her weapon put away by then but showed them the video and then went outside with them when they checked the exterior. One window on the side of the house had marks on the frame indicating someone had tried to pry it open. The police finished their report and left. 

I called Meaghan. She asked if there were any notes left. None had been found.

I had a hard time getting back to sleep, so I got up the next morning feeling very grumpy, particularly since there was no proof that this incident was related to Christine Rozniak (or anyone else). But maybe my trolling ploy had gotten at least a nibble. I decided not to say anything to Bret about this when he returned though. Best he not know anything about what I’ve done plus, after EWU’s loss to Southern Utah, he’s going to be in a bad mood anyway.

Potato-Pickin’-Paul, “Eagle Flight” blog

Game #20, Jan. 27, 2016: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (5-14, 2-6) at Eastern Washington Eagles (13-6, 6-2)

The Eagles had a chance to pull away from all competition in the Big Sky had they beaten Southern Utah earlier this week. But now the race for the top remains hot and tightly contested.

Tonight the Eagles took on the lowly Lumberjacks who have had a sorry season. They came into the game 0-8 on the road. Only SF Marcus Brown had really played all that well.

Both teams had a tough time putting the ball in the hoop early in the 1st half. Danya Lawson scored 8 of the Eagles first 10 points. Midway through the half, the score was just 13-6 in favor of EWU.

Things didn’t improve much for the Lumberjacks as EWU’s defense allowed them to hit just 24% of their FG’s. The Eagles didn’t fare all that much better, dropping in only 31% of their FG attempts in the first half. But the Eagles amazingly had absolutely no turnovers, while forcing Northern Arizona to make 8 turnovers. The half ended with the Eagles in control, 32-15. Danya Lawson scored 16 points, half of EWU’s points.

The Eagles started slowly in the 2nd half, but then began hitting their shots and gradually extended their lead as their defense remained stiff. With 4 minutes to play they led 65-35. Then with 1-1/2 minutes to play their lead grew to 75-39.

Their crushing of the Lumberjacks was complete as the Eagles hit 48% of their shots (and 42% of thei 3’s) compared to just 36% (and 7% of their 3’s) by the Lumberjacks. They controlled the boards 33-26 and achieved a 14-5 turnover advantage. The top scorer for Northern Arizona had just 7 points.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (14-6, 7-2, 1st5 place)—79, Northern Arizona-43.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF/SG Danya Lawson-22 pts, 5 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal; PG Tim Dove-11 pts, 2 reb, 5 assists, 1 steal; PF Byron Crawford-11 pts, 2 reb; C Cory Davis-8 pts, 5 reb, 2 assists.

Player of the Game: SF/SG Danya Lawson-22 pts, 5 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal.

EWU Player Stats after 20 games

PPG: Danya Lawson-13.9; Colin Goode-9.1; Cory Davis-8.2; Tim Dove-7.9; Shawn Jackson-7.6; Joe Blackwell-5.9; Odie Joseph-5.9; Darryl Bailey-5.6; Byron Crawford-5.2; Will Davis-4.5; Brian Dearman-3.7; Terence Hillier-1.9; Harvey Manning-1.3; Travis Dawson-0.4.

RPG: Cory Davis-4.7; Odie Joseph-3.5; Colin Goode-2.9; Joe Blackwell-2.9; Brian Dearman-2.8; Danya Lawson-2.7; Shawn Jackson-1.9; Terrence Hillier-1.8; Tim Dove-1.7; Byron Crawford-1.5; Will Davis-1.3; Travis Dawson-1.0; Darryl Bailey-0.8; Harvey Manning-0.1.

APG: Tim Dove-2.9; Shawn Jackson-1.8; Darryl Bailey-1.4; Danya Lawson-1.2; Joe Blackwell-1.2; Cory Davis-1.2; Brian Dearman-0.9; Colin Goode-0.7; Will Davis-0.7; Harvey Manning-0.6; Byron Crawford-0.6; Terence Hillier-0.6; Odie Joseph-0.6; Travis Dawson-0.2.

Steals: Danya Lawson-1.4/game

Blocks: Cory Davis-0.4/game

A/TO: Brian Dearman-2.1

Annika Vandergard (Rothman)—Bret’s sister

January 30, 2016:

OK, maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. I’ve been cooped up in this house for a week-and-a-half and other than the attempt to break into the house (which very well could have been a normal burglary attempt), nothing! And I’m getting cabin fever! Finally today, I had had enough. I need to get my hair done so I decide go out for a bit mid-day. Ginger Fallstaff is completely against it, but she’s not my keeper. She says she will go with me, but I refuse the offer saying I’m not going far and it’s the middle of the day for god’s sake.

I get into my car, start it and begin to back out of the driveway. But as I do there is a loud clumping sound and the car jiggles weirdly. I stop, get out and go around the car. Lo and behold, both tires on the passenger side are completely flat. Someone has apparently done this on purpose to make me do exactly as I did, think all is well, and then find out as soon as I try to drive the car that it’s been vandalized. And then I see in red lettering on the back tire the word “Consequences” and on the front tire the words “Ha Ha”.

I immediately call Meaghan Kriley and say, “BINGO!” After relling her what was done and the wording, I add, “Since no one other than Christine Rozniak knew about our little ploy, we have the culprit!”

Meaghan replies, “Yes, apparently so, but now what do we do with this knowledge?”

Bret’s sister Annika told me what happened and asked me to pass it along to those I have working on the disappearance of Nancy Parker.

I’m livid when I hear the chance she took. But the results of her actions do help with another part of the puzzle.

I let Alek Johannsen, Corky Branigan, and Tom Gordon know what she did and what happened. I want them to find Nancy and find her fast and do whatever it takes to get than done.

Jan 31: Spokane Sentinel

Cheney Councilwoman Found Dead in Ravine

The body of Christine Rozniak, outspoken Cheney councilwoman and real estate professional was found following a tip, by the Cheney police in a ravine near city limits only 3 blocks from her home. Cheney Police Dept. has verified that the body has been positively identified, but police are being very tight-lipped about any evidence left at the scene.

[Copied from post by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forum]

Jan 31: 11:30 AM Bret's house

the sound of gunshots break out in front of the house. Ginger does her best mutant ninja amphibian imitation and rolls out the front door.

Meanwhile, Annika remembers her son is playing with his toy truck in the back yard and finds one of his sneakers. There is a note in the shoe. 

"Consequences.....Doubly so for those prone to mistakes."

The boy is nowhere to be found.

[Copies from post by CoachC in Wolverines Studios forums]

1 PM: Swede's Office

Meaghan Kriley tries to call Swede at his office, but the temp who is currently pretending to filll in for Nancy refuses to put her through. In desperation she call's Bret's cell phone and leaves a message:"Bret, my trial is only a week away and the paper refuses to back me. There isn't a defense attorney in all of Spokane County I'd be willing to trust with my fate, I've been trying to call Swede to ask him if he could get Kelli to fly in to represent me. But that bimbo he has sitting at Nancy's desk refuses to put me through. Could you ask him for me? Tell him that I'm willing to pay all her expenses plus double her usual fee. I think these days in Cheney you are guilty until proven innocent, and I'm getting scared."

[Copied from post by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums]

(Bret Vandergard bursts into his office)

SO: Whaaaatttt the…………….????

BV: Damn it, Swede! Who do you have temping outside your door…the gateguard nazi? She wasn’t going to let me in! I just pushed on past her. And she wouldn’t pass along Meaghan’s call to you a little earlier to day!

SO: I told her I was busy but I didn’t tell her to stop the world.

BV: I don’t have time for all this. There’s big problems. First Tommy was taken from my backyard today with yet another “consequences” note. We have the police and FBI involved but you need to get your team working on Tommy’s disappearance as well as Nancy’s. This is getting freakin’ nasty.

SO: Oh my god, Bret. I’m so sorry to hear that. I’ll get in touch with them.

BV: And…Meaghan was calling to ask for you to contact Kelli. Meaghan really needs her help representing her in the upcoming trial. And your damned temp wouldn’t even put her call through to you!

SO: I’ll take care of that. But first, let me call Kelli right now.

(he calls)

SO: OK, Bret, she’s calling Meaghan right now and has her assistant getting the first flight out here that she can.

BV: Thanks Swede. We have to get on top of Tommy’s kidnapping and Nancy’s disappearance. I hope your team can produce some quick results. 

SO: I definitely agree. I’m getting in touch with my group of guys now.

Jamie Chambless, Head Coach of the Montana State Bobcats

Game #21, Jan. 31, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (14-6, 7-2) at Montana State Bobcats (12-8, 5-4)

Our players are excited to be hosting the league leading Eastern Washington Eagles tonight. We hope to make their trip home a long one. My leading scorers are SG Wesley Akins who’s averaging 16.4 ppg and SF Dwayne Vines who is scoring 12.8 ppg. While we’ve had somewhat of an up and down season, we’re much better than the past two years’ teams which went 12-16 and 9-20. I’m particularly proud of our road victories this season over Southern Mississippi, and Bradley. 

Although Eastern Washington is a strong team with a lot of depth, we know we can beat anyone at home and a good crowd has shown up for tonight’s game at Worthington Arena. We intend to shut down Danya Lawson who has been leading the Eagles lately.

Yes! 2 fouls on Lawson in the first 2-1/2 minutes of the game, so that will take him out of play for most of the first half. It took us 3-1/2 minutes to score, but we got a 3-point play then to tie the Eagles at 3-3. The Eagles’ Shawn Jackson picked up his 2nd foul and joined Lawson on the bench at the 13:56 mark, but we trailed 12-7. We finally took a lead over EWU at 18-17 with 8 minutes to play in the half. Fortunately we were getting to the line often since our play otherwise was ragged. We then went cold and let the Eagles score 10 unanswered points. But we made a strong run in the late stages of the half to leave the court with a 35-34 advantage over EWU. The big difference in our favor was that we got to the line 11 more times and scored 11 more points at the free throw line. Wesley Akins led our scoring with 11 points, while Joe Blackwell and Darryl Bailey each had 5 points for Eastern Washington.

Our students have been chanting “Jailbird” each time EWU’s Coach Vandergard gets up off his chair. Some have posters with his face behind bars. I find such behavior immature and despicable, but what are ya gonna do? Our students tend to party hearty before our games anyway (there’s not much else to do in Bozeman), so you never know what they are going to do during our games.

The 2nd half went back and forth until we made a big run and took a 9 point lead with 5-1/2 minutes left in the game. But the Eagles struck right back and took a 63-62 lead with 2:40 left. Blossom dropped in two free throws to put us up 64-63 with 1-1/2 minutes to go. Coach Vandergard apparently doesn’t like the refs....following a foul call he tore into the refs and they assessed a technical that gave us a 3 point lead with a minute to play. 

Lawson drove and pulled up for a 14 footer that dropped through to make it 66-65 with 29 seconds to go. The Eagles fouled our worst foul shooter, Tim Crosby with 13 seconds on the clock. He miraculously hit the first shot but more typically missed the second and EWU called a time out with 7 seconds to go and us ahead 67-65. Dove drove to the basket but our center Jeremy Granville kept him from getting off a final shot and we escaped. I’d like to say it was because we were the better team, but our 17 more free throw attempts on which we scored 15 more points than the Eagles tipped the balance of the scales in our favor.

As we shake hands after the game, I apologize to Bret Vandergard for the behavior of our students. He shrugs It off, saying “Students will be students.”

Final Score: Montana State—67, Eastern Washington (14-7, 7-3, 1st place tie)—65.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF/SG Danya Lawson-13 pts, 1 reb, 1 assist, 1 block; SF Joe Blackwell-11 pts, 4 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal; C Cory Davis-10 pts, 6 reb, 1 block; PG Darryl Bailey-8 pts, 1 assist, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: Montana State’s SG Wesley Akins-19 pts, 3 reb.

Mike Jackson, parent of player

Game #22, Feb. 3, 2016: Portland State Vikings (12-9, 7-3) at Eastern Washington Eagles (14-7, 7-3)

The winner of this game gains sole possession of first place in the Big Sky Conference. EWU has been inconsistent lately. I believe it’s because Vandergard has been relying too much on Danya Lawson and has reduced Shawn’s (my son’s) playing time. My friend Malachi and I are sitting right behind the Eagle’s bench so Vandergard will hear some displeasure if he continues his shifting of reliance from Shawn (and other starters) to Lawson.

Portland State’s main offensive threat is PF Shane Wesley who is averaging 14.4 ppg.

The Eagles took a 14-2 lead 6 minutes into the game. But the Vikings scored 7 straight points to pull back into the game. The see-saw continued as EWU scored 10 quick unanswered points to lead 24-9 with 9:29 to play in the half. As Portland State began to claw their way back into the game, Malachi and I were riding Vandergard to get the ball to Shawn more. Shawn did hit a couple nice baskets including a 3 with 4:43 to go in the half which resurrected a double digit lead for the Eagles. Then with 2:15 on the clock, Shawn canned another 3 that put the Eagles ahead 34-23. But Lawson continued to take the preponderance of shots even though he was hitting a low percentage of them. The half ended with Eastern Washington on top 39-25. Shawn scored 8 points, but Lawson had 10 since he fired away at will.

In the halftime “Sink the Shot For a Ford” contest, a female student was selected as the shooter. Her shot from half court was actually pretty good, but not close enough to get anyone too excited. Springfield’s Ford fleet remained secure.

Shawn hit his 3rd 3-pointer just a half minute into the 2nd half. From there Shawn led the team as they held onto a double digit lead the rest of the way. I was really proud of how Shawn played tonight. For a change, Vandergard kept him on the court and let him take some shots. My boy played a fantastic game. Vandergard rode his starters, which was extremely rare. All were on the court for well over 30 minutes each. Maybe he learned something from this game.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (15-7, 8-3, 1st place)—72, Portland State—59.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SG Shawn Jackson-21 pts, 1 reb, 3 assists, 5 steals; SF Danya Lawson-15 pts, 5 reb, 4 assists, 2 steals; C Cory Davis-10 pts, 8 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal; PF Brian Dearman-9 pts, 9 reb, 1 assist, 3 steals, 1 block.

Player of the Game: SG Shawn Jackson-21 pts, 1 reb, 3 assists, 5 steals.

Kelli Olaffson-Dearing, attorney and Swede’s daughter

Rather than a trial, there was a Preliminary Hearing for Meaghan Kriley. I didn’t have much time to prepare, but used the following to attempt to debunk the charge of drug possession:

1. Meaghan has participated in a Spokane school’s program that fights drug use…she has several awards and letters of commendation resulting from this.
2. A lengthy list of witnesses attesting to Meaghan’s excellent character, stellar reputation, and abhorrence of drugs.
3. A CPA’s report of the thorough review of Meaghan’s personal financials that reveals no unusual expenditures.
4. The fact that Meaghan has been investigating the recent nefarious activities in and around Cheney and Spokane and that could well have led to one of these shady characters trying to frame Meaghan.
5. The lack of Meaghan’s fingerprints on the bag containing the drugs.
6. Similar finger prints (from an as yet unknown person) on the bag of drugs and on the note that was on Meaghan’s car just before the drugs were left in her car.
7. The failure of the police department or the District Attorney to investigate the fingerprints that were alike on the 2 pieces of evidence.
8. A drug test immediately after her arrest that showed no presence of drugs in her body whatsoever.
9. A break in the chain of custody for the drug evidence by the police department and district attorney’s office.
10. A lie detector test that indicates Meaghan had no knowledge of the presence of a package of drugs in her car.

The judge listened carefully and asked numerous questions and found there was insufficient evidence for this case to go forward. The judge also chastised the prosecution and then dismissed the case with prejudice, meaning that it is over and done with, once and for all, and can’t be brought back to court.

Meaghan Kriley

Kelli was amazing! She completely dismantled the prosecution’s case. I was so relieved to have the case tossed out of court.

Even though the newspaper did not support me or provide legal assistance, the managing editor was in attendance at the hearing. Before he could leave the court room, I walked up to him and handed in my resignation, telling him what he could do with his newspaper.

The next day, I was contacted by KSPK TV and offered a job as an investigative reporter for more money than I was earning at the newspaper.

And to top all this off, Bret took me out to a delicious dinner at Spokane’s top restaurant and then dancing at a local club.

Alec Johannsen

Alec with Bernie Wayne Miller has arranged for sophisticated surveillance equipment to be set up on the office phones in Bret and Swede's offices, and further tells them that if they were to receive phone calls on their cell phones to activate an application he has installled on their phones and Annika's before answering.

Austin Nathaniel, 2nd Asst Coach

We got some good news today from our team doctor. C Colin Goode’s broken arm is mending a little quicker than expected, so we should be able to get him into at least the final regular season game, thus getting him back in the flow before the conference tournament games.

Another piece of good news: Danya Lawson was awarded the Big Sky’s Freshman Player of the Week award for the 5th straight week (and 6th time this season).

Spokane Spokesman-Review sports page column

Game #23, Feb. 7, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (15-7, 8-3) at North Dakota Fightin’ Sioux (11-11, 5-6)

Earlier this season, Eastern Washington’s men’s basketball team whipped North Dakota 76-53. But that was on Reese Court in Cheney and last night the Eagles had to take on the Fightin’ Sioux on the road. With the Eagles’ recent road failures, there was a big question mark as to whether the Eagles could repeat their earlier success.

Shooting well, North Dakota took an early lead. EWU chipped away and finally took a 15-14 lead with 11:40 to go in the first half. The Eagles then took advantage of North Dakota turnovers (11 in the half) to move out to a 41-31 halftime advantage. PG Harvey Manning scored 8 and C Cory Davis and SF/SG Danya Lawson both added 7 to lead EWU’s scoring.

The Eagles forged to an 18 point lead only to see it dissipate. With 41 seconds to go, they led by just 2 with North Dakota in control of the ball. Then with 23 seconds to go, Odie Joseph was called for a foul on Rod Graham. Graham sunk both shots to tie the game at 69-69. The Fightin’ Sioux fouled Joseph with 17 ticks on the clock. Joseph dropped both shots through the hoop to put the Eagles on top by 2. EWU’s defense kept the ball out side and only allowed a last ditch 3 by North Dakota that was short and the Eagles escaped with a narrow victory.

After the game Coach Vandergard said, “It was a good team effort, but our cold spell near the end nearly let things get away for us. I was proud of how our players refused to give in during the last minute though. They just were not going to lose.”

Final Score: Eastern Washington (16-7, 9-3, 1st place)—71, North Dakota—69.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Cory Davis-17 pts, 6 reb, 3 steals, 1 block; PG Harvey Manning-12 pts, 1 reb; SF/SG Danya Lawson-9 pts, 4 assists, 5 steals; C Odie Joseph-9 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists, 2 steals.

Player of the Game: C Cory Davis-17 pts, 6 reb, 3 steals, 1 block.

Meaghan Kriley, KSPK TV investigative report

With the death of Christine Rozniak, her “Clean Up Cheney” campaign has fallen completely apart. Many of the key members have been found to only have been trying to line their own pockets. Others are now disavowing their previous involvement or support for the committee. The acting mayor (and personal toady of Christine Rozniak) has lost his post due to incompetence. Christine’s brother, Herschel Rozniak, has not only been relieved of his duties in the top position but has been fired from the department. Many of the officers he brought in (after expunging officers he didn’t like) have also been fired and some of the old officers have been rehired. And many of the commercial real estate projects spearheaded by Christine Rozniak are now being investigated.

Spokane Sentinel

Former EWU Coach Confesses to the Murder of Cheney Councilwoman

After being brought in for questioning on an unrelated matter, police sources say that former EWU head basketball coach Dawes Johnson broke down and confessed to the recemt murder of Cheney Councilwoman, Christine Roznisk.

Acting Cheney police chief, Sgt. Sparky declined further comment.

Colin Goode, player

Game #24, Feb. 10, 2016: Sacramento State Hornets (13-10, 7-5) at Eastern Washington Eagles (16-7, 9-3)

I can’t wait to get back onto the court. My arm is feeling pretty good. I keep trying to get the doc to OK me getting off the injured list, but it still looks like another week-and-a-half.

We beat Sac State 72-57 on their court earlier this year. But we need to keep focused if we want to maintain our hold on 1st place in the Big Sky.

We hit our first 5 shots, including 3 beautiful 3’s by Danya Lawson to take a 13-6 lead 3-1/2 minutes into the game. The guys let the Hornets take a 15-13 lead with 13 minutes to play in the half. A time out turned things around for us though. With 8-1/2 minutes until the intermission we led 20-15. We cruised to on top 35-24 at the break. We hit 61% of our shots while holding the Hornets shooting to just 37%. Danya Lawson held high point honors with 11 points.

We continued to outplay Sacramento State and took a 43-25 lead just 3 minutes into the 2nd half. Our lead ballooned to 26 points. Our guys were cookin'. The Hornets shaved off some of that in the latter part of the game, but we won with ease.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (17-7, 10-3, 1st place)—66, Sacramento State—52.

Leading Players for Eastern Washington: SF/SG Danya Lawson-16 pts, 5 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal; PG Tim Dove-13 pts, 4 reb, 2 assists; C Cory Davis-8 pts, 4 reb, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: SF/SG Danya Lawson-16 pts, 5 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal.

Bad news: C Odie Joseph strained his hamstring and will be out of action for about 10 days. SF Travis Dawson injured his foot and will have to stay off it for about 6 days.

Award: Danya Lawson picked up another Big Sky Freshman Player of the Week award.

Our RPI is now 40th best in the nation. We’re 51st on the Bubble Watch “Who’s In” list, but of course that means little since it’s imperative we win the Conference Tournament to gain a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now