Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: March 2014
Rep - Helpful

8-9, 2-2 Yale is here. They have not played to their potential and are a definite threat. We will need to pressure the ball and stop their outside game. Their 3-2 can be confusing and our offense will need to find the open shooter. Again, ball pressure is the key. We feel we can turn them over. If we also control the inside we will be fine. But it may not be that easy.

Jan. 16: 67-54. 23, 4, 3 for Hank, 22 for Zinn, 13 RBs for Sand.

10-8, 3-2 Cornell is in. Won their last three.

Jan. 19: 86-75. 26, 11 for Sand, 25, 5, 5 for Hank, 15, 3, 6 for Zinn. 5 TOs for the game!

Jan. 22: Ranked! #23, RPI #14.

The only conference opponent we have not yet played is 2nd place Columbia, 15-4, 5-1. We travel to their place. They are a good team and this will not be easy. Their 1-3-1 is a defense we have yet to see this season so that adds a complication. We’ve been working against it in practice so hopefully that will help. They played a weak pre-conference schedule. Their weakness is ball handling so we will pressure their guards. If we can also hold our own inside we have a good chance but this will not be easy.

Jan. 23: 49-59. Our defense was good, theirs was better. Their guards greatly outperformed ours and that was a deciding factor. While our inside players easily outscored theirs, we were outrebounded 25-28. Not a good night. The regular season title will likely come down to the rematch in Cambridge in the last regular season game.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

At 9-11, 1-6 Brown, the bottom of the conference. We won by 28 at home.

Jan. 26: 62-55. Much more of a challenge than expected. Sand fouled out in 24 minutes and their C had a field day. We were outrebounded again, 27-29. Greg Walk had a good game from the bench which was much needed since PG Ben Hart also fouled out, in 20 minutes. We won but I am far from impressed.

Jan. 29: We lost a recruit who had committed to us. He didn’t hit our SAT score. Luke Weis, #196 SG. We’ll offer to someone else.

11-10, 2-6 Princeton is here. They have not been playing at all well.

Jan. 30: 69-58. Sand and Hank led us. 10 TOs.

It has become a two team race. We are tied with Columbia, three ahead of the field.

At 13-9, 5-4 Penn. We won by 12 in Cambridge but they play much better at home.

Feb. 2: 81-84. This was the worst defense we played all season. We were also outrebounded badly, 26-33, worst margin of the season. There was nothing wrong with our offense. 81 points should win. Bench play was easily the difference, 42, 10, 12 to 10, 2, 6. There is work to be done.

Two minor injuries. Starter Asa Thom tweaked a calf muscle. Day to day but he will not be at 100% for our next game. Little used Inyo Robb strained abdominals. Out about a week.

Columbia was defeated as well so nothing has changed. An opportunity lost.

Feb. 5: 18-5, 8-2, Ranked #19, RPI #12.

13-10, 4-6 Dartmouth is here. We won by 4 in overtime there. 2-6 in their last 8. This appears to be a challenge despite that. We must play well.

Feb. 6: 58-38. Sand had a huge game, 20 and 16. 16, 7 for Hank. Terrible shooting by both teams, 33.3% for us, 26.2% for them. Second half was even worse. 12 TOs.

Two of our last three are on the road then home with Columbia.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

At 12-12, 6-5 Yale. We won by 13 at home. Their SF is their best player, and the 3-2 is not a defense we see often. They are not good with the ball and we need to take advantage of that. They have won their last four.

Every game is important at this stage.

Feb. 9: 53-64. We simply fell apart in the second half after a very close first. We couldn’t make a shot but worse, people were not working to get open. This will be addressed at once.

Columbia lost so nothing has changed and again, an opportunity lost.

At 12-13, 5-7 Cornell. We won by 11 at home. They have lost 4 of 5. This is a team we should beat.

Feb. 13: 68-58. The starters and Greg Walk all contributed. +12 RB.

And so it comes down, as expected to the final game. We are #18, RPI #14, 20-6, 10-3. Columbia is 20-6, 10-3, #24, RPI #15. Both teams are injury free. Their weakness is ball handling. They won by 10 in their gym. Our SG and C need to be better than their PG, SG, SF, and our bench needs to match theirs. We need to turn them over and hold our own inside. Hopefully home court advantage will help. We expect a sellout.

Feb. 16: 66-54. We rose to the occasion. We started strongly and never trailed after the first few minutes. They narrowed the margin to as few as three upon occasion but we were able to counter each time. 29, 5 for Hank, 12, 9 for Sand, 11, 6, 4 with 1 TO for Hart, as good a game as he has played for us at PG. -4 TO, +6 RB.

Bracket Breaker with 14-11 Milwaukee here. This looks like a rather even match up. I think controlling the inside will likely be key. They have won 5 of 6.

Feb. 19: 59-58. A real battle. We won on a three by Ben Hart at the buzzer. We wanted an inside shot but nothing opened up so Ben launched a 24 footer And it went in. We had only 9 TOs but were out rebounded 37-42 in a poor shooting game by both sides. I was very happy with the fact that we never gave up.

And we head for the postseason with a record of 22-6, 11-3, #18, RPI #12. What a turnaround from last season. We will definitely be invited to the NCAA tournament with our RPI of 12. We hope to win the Ivy League tourney, or at the very least get to the final game.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

We play 10-17, 2-12 Brown in the round of eight. This is a team we should beat.

March 3: 68-56. Never in doubt. 23, 8, 2 for Sand, 18 for Hank, good play by the others. 11 TOs.

15-13 Yale in the semifinals. We beat them by 13 then lost by 9 there so this is one we will need to work for. We simply didn’t do what needed to be done last time. They are 7-1 in the last 8. We knew we needed to pressure the ball in New Haven and we were not successful. Hopefully we will be this time.

March 4: 59-41. Shooting was the difference, 46.7%-26.2%. All other stats were about even. All five of our starters had between 10 and 12 points. 11 RBs for Sand.

As expected it’s #24, 22-8 Columbia for the title. Not much new to say. Both teams are healthy so let’s see what happens.

March 5: 59-65. Close all the way, never more than a 7 point differential. In the end they were just a bit better. Their bench had 21, 8, 5, ours had 2, 6, 6. We were +3 TO, +4 RB. 17 fouls called on us, 9 on them.

On to the NCAA tournament. It’s a question of where seeded and how high. A win here would have helped.

March 12: Selection day. Not in the East.

Not in the Midwest.

#6 in the South vs. Boise ST.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

March 14: Penn won in the first round of the CHI.

March 16: Columbia won in the first round of the NCAA.

Boise ST is 19-11. They won their tourney after finishing third in the regular season. They lost the three games immediately preceding their tourney. Their conference is stronger than ours. They lost their starting SG to grades in Dec. Their big guys score more than their guards.

March 17: 58-43. Great first half defense put us into an early lead and we never trailed. 20, 11, 2 for Sand. -8 RB but it didn’t matter. We held them to 29.2% shooting.

#10 ranked, 24-7 UCLA is next. This will be a huge challenge. They play in a premier conference and played a very strong pre-conference schedule. SG is outstanding but they are good at every position, and deep. We will need to be at our very best to have any chance of winning. We didn’t come here to lose though. We’ll give it our best.

March 18: Columbia loses in the NCAA.

March 19: 69-76. We played well against a very good team. The down side is that we blew a 17 point lead. They just kept coming at us and they wore us down in the second half, scoring 50 points- the most we’ve given up in a half all year. We couldn’t stop their SG- 31 points. 20, 13 for Sand. 19 TOs (-9) hurt. +16 RBs was great but not quite enough,

A very successful season comes to an end. It would be difficult not to be happy with the way we played this season.

March 22: Penn loses in the CHI.

March 26: Two recruits agree to come here next year. #135 PG Mike Tubb and #50 SF Adam Long. Still going after two, #156 PG Jean Tyl and #157 PG Vya Seir.

I debate going to the Final Four but decide against. Next year I will definitely go.

April 1: UConn and Butler win and will play for the title.

April 3: UConn by 24 for the title.

April 4: Awards: And again, I get the error message so no idea who wins the awards.

April 9: Job offers: Some interesting offers but none are interesting enough to even consider a visit.

April 16: No assistant coach vacancies. I am very happy with my staff.
Tyl and Seir sign.

April 23: Going for budget dollars. Got $10,000!

I get an $8,000 raise.

End of season. Team Prestige jumps from 33 to 42. My numbers: 40-24, .625.

Off.- 20, Def.- 29, Recruiting 79, Scout- 91, Player Dev.- 32, Reputation- 42. Oh, I was conference Coach of the Year.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

May 1: Season three begins. We buy the Gold National and Basic International Reports.

May 14: I propose. Rebecca accepts. She really likes the ring I got her. We plan to marry next May or June.

June 5: We look at a few transfers.

June 12: We pick up PG Quin Addy.

June 26: Recruiting begins. We have four scholarships to offer. We need guards more than forwards.
We are looking at 19 but some may not have the GPA we will need. That information is not yet available.

July 4: Down to 16- 6 PGs, 3 SGs, 2 SFs, 1 PF, 4 C.

Aug. 21: We offer to a PG, an SG, and 2 Centers.

Sept.7: There is a great deal to balance with the fall semester underway.

I met my two new doc students in late August and am very excited to be working with both. Randall Peck III, from right here in Cambridge, is the son of a philosophy professor at Boston University. He has some fascinating theories that he wants to test out. I feel that his research could be very valuable to our program.

Brighton DeWitt Campbell is also from this area. He arrives here having received his B. A. at age 17, and his M. A. in Mathematics at age 18. Brighton has all the credentials to be regarded as an absolute genius. I am going to let him go his own way and simply check in and refocus him as need be. He tells me this is his “first Ph. D.” He intends to get others, all in pure math. He feels statistics offers an opportunity to ground himself before pursuing the others. He will be a learning experience for me!

I am also teaching a graduate level class in statistical analysis for graduate students researching for advanced degrees. I cannot teach during the spring semester because the basketball season simply does not permit it. During the fall I make most of my classes. When I am unable to be there Arnold Stern teaches the class. He completes his Ph. D. work in the spring and I will miss him. He has done and continues to do outstanding work. I also teach a class during the summer.

And of course the requirement to “publish or perish” never leaves. I am working with two other professors in the Statistics Department here at Harvard. We have three articles in various states of preparation. One is in final edit for the leading journal in our field, and the other two should both be ready before the end of the academic year.

In between all of this I try to find time for my fiancée. Rebecca is very busy herself, of course. She hopes to complete and defend her thesis by April or May so this will be a very busy time.

Oh, and I also coach a basketball team!

Sept. 11: Home visits to our four.

Sept. 18: Three recruits committed: Colt Arms, #40, C, Curt Park, #50, C, and Del Duke, #39 SG. We feel we have a very good chance with the fourth, a PG.

We are invited to the Sunshine Shootout in Dec. The schedule is a bit stronger than last season.

Oct. 2: Ty Corr, #117 PG commits. He will be borderline as far as hitting the SAT score is concerned so we’re looking at several other PGs.

First day of practice. I really like what I see.

Nov. 6: Exhibition games. We make some changes based upon what we saw in the exhibition games.

Speaking with three PGs in case Corr doesn’t hit the SAT score.

We feel we are ready for the season to begin and further feel that we have our best team since our arrival here.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

We begin the season at Penn ST. We feel we are far superior to them but it is early. There is much to discover.

Nov. 16: 64-36. Our defense looked truly exceptional. We saw that in both exhibition games as well. I was very pleased that we had but 11 turnovers and that we were +15 in rebounding. Our offense was led by Bay Sand at C, who had 14, 8, 3, while completely stifling his opponent, and by PG Jon Hank, 17, 4, 5. Tyle Gill had 10 RBs from the bench. This was a very fine way to begin the season.

Tulsa, 0-1 is here for our home debut. Tulsa is a far stronger team than was Penn ST but we feel we have more talent.

Nov. 19: 75-44. Again, outstanding defense. 12 turnovers, +7 RB. Sand and Hank both had very good games again, as did SG Al Ruck, and sub Kyle Gill. Matt Hall had 11 RBs at PF.

Nov. 20: As expected Ty Corr is not going to hit our score. Stuck with him until 1/29 but we’ll court some PGs.

At 0-2 Akron. Their C is very good but he doesn’t get much help.

Nov. 23: 60-40. The outstanding defense continues. Not happy with 15 turnovers but very happy with +14 rebounds. 19, 9 for Long, 12, 10 for Sand, 14, 5, 5 for Hank, 12, 7 for Ruck. We held Akron to 12 points in the first half.

2-1 Vanderbilt is here. We have some challenging games ahead but this should not be one of them if we play well.

We decide to give Gill a bit more playing time and Hall a bit less.

Nov. 26: 70-46. Jon Hank had 32, 4, 7 at PG. We played very good defense yet again and had only 9 turnovers.

The semester is nearing its end. Randall Peck has done some outstanding work for us. He has found some little nuances for us to use against man to man defense that open up opportunities for us to score rather easily in given situations. A few of his other ideas have led us to go to certain defenses briefly, in certain situations, to enormously positive effect.

Brighton Campbell’s work is less concrete but I do see potential for it to become useful in time and it is exceedingly interesting from a purely statistical point of view.

Our article will be published in the January issue of Statistics Today, and a second article is in final review. The third is nearing that point.

My graduate students are all doing well in the class I teach. There are only eight of them and all are doing exceptional work. Exams are next week. The exam is really a project for this course.

Rebecca has been extremely busy. We meet when we can. Often I spend the evening going over my students’ work or doing basketball related work as she works on her thesis. At least we’re together. We do try to spend a little time with each other on these occasions.

4-0 but our first real challenge of the season comes with our next game.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

#11 ranked, 5-2 USC is in. We will need to stop their outside scoring especially from the SG and SF. If we are able to play the kind of defense we have played so far I like our chances.

Nov. 30: 79-69. Great win! While we gave up 69 points we held them to 33.3% shooting and that was the difference, so it was defense again. All of our starters scored in double figures. Sand had 11 RBs. Hank ha d6 RBs and 4 assists. He fouled out but played 33 minutes and only got #5 with 1:16 to go. Good bench play from Gill and from Vya Seir at guard. Only 12 turnovers.

It feels great to beat a really good team!

Dec. 2: Today we embark on a long road trip. Should we reach the finals of the Sunshine Shootout our next seven games will be on the road. We will come home only briefly between now and Dec. 18.

Our players will take their exams while on the road and I will mail them to their professors.

We begin at 1-1 Indiana ST. They are strong inside, sloppy at guard. They have played two good teams.

Dec. 3: 66-52. As has been the case regularly we had a very good first half. 14, 8 for Sand, 14, 5, 2 for Long, good bench play, especially from Gill, and 9 turnovers.

We decide to start Gill at PF. He’s been giving us considerably more than has Matt Hall.

On to 3-4 Milwaukee. They have one quality win but three very bad losses. They are stronger outside than inside. They play mostly 2-3 zone, which we have seen little of, but we have been practicing against it.

Dec. 6: 85-71. Our poorest defensive performance of the season but 21 three pointers, 7 each by Ruck and Long, got us through. Jon Hank did a very good job of running the offense. Bay Sand was in foul trouble all night, which did not help us. Still, we are now 7-0 heading to the Sunshine Shootout.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

We’re seeded eighth in this eight team tournament. We begin with #1 seed, #17 ranked, 6-0  Missouri. This is a very good team. They are strong at PG, SF, and C. They take care of the ball, score inside and outside, and rebound well.

Dec. 9: 73-63. Strong first half again but we almost gave it away in the second. Both Sand and Hank were in foul trouble. Sand had a very, very good game, 21 and 17. Out other starters all put up good numbers but except for Matt Hall’s 9 rebounds we got nothing from the bench- not a single point, only 2 assists and one RB other than Hall’s. 15 turnovers. +17 rebounds made a huge difference.

This was more an escape than a win.

#4 seed, 6-2 Nebraska is next. They’ve played a strong schedule. They do many things well and have several players who can score but no stand out shooter. We feel we’re the better team but not by a great deal.

Dec. 10: 81-67. 25, 13, 4 for Sand, 18 for Long, 17 for Ruck. Solid play and great leadership from Hank. 11 turnovers.

Ranked! #15, RPI #15.

We play #2 seed, #19 ranked, 8-1 New Mexico for the title. They haven’t played a strong schedule. Good with the ball and they rebound.

Dec. 11: 81-62. Ruck, 20, 2, 5, Long, 16, 12, 3, and Sand, 16, 11 carried us. Hank played only 16 minutes due to fouls but Seir and Zinn played well in his stead. Only 8 turnovers. We have perhaps been relying too heavily on the three. We had 15 tonight, but we shot 48.4% from three point range.

We are 10-0. Two more road games but the next is in Boston so it isn’t really a road game in a sense. At least we are able to sleep in our own beds.

Boston College is 5-1. They have played well against a less than impressive schedule, but they do things well.

Dec. 13: 72-68. Our first close game. We led most of the way but there were several lead changes, and BC got within a single point upon three occasions during the last two minutes or so. In the end our rebounding (+11) got us through. Poor ball handling (18 turnovers) did not help us. We played nine and all contributed but foul difficulties for Sand and Hank made the task more difficult.

We are now 11-0.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Back on the road at 2-7 Washington ST. On paper they are not at all impressive. They are very sloppy, do not have a “go to guy” and are not particularly strong inside. Still, it is a road game.

Dec. 17: 53-63. I suppose a night like this had to happen sooner or later. Aside from Bay Sand we simply couldn’t make a shot. He was 10-13, the rest of the team was 9-45. Hank fouled out in 22 minutes and his back up also fouled out. Just not our night.

Home at last. 6-3 Boise ST is here. This is a team we should beat.

Dec. 21: 77-54. Much better. We played nine and all nine contributed. 11 turnovers, +14 rebounds.

This is the toughest game on our entire schedule. At #3, 11-2 Ohio ST. They are solid at all five positions and they have a bench. Still, I do not see them as being significantly better than our team. We need to play well and to take advantage of our opportunities. If we do I believe we have a chance.
Dec. 24: 73-69. And that’s about as well as we can play! After taking an early 9 point lead we trailed for most of the game, by as many as 13. Then with about 5:30 to go we rallied. Their bigs both got into foul trouble and Bay Sand, 24, 14, Matt Hall, 5, 6, and Kyle Gill, 7, 4, 2 began to blast it inside. We caught them and then took the lead with 1:14 to go. We built it to 7 and won by 4 when they hit a three in the last few seconds. 13 turnovers (-2), 39 rebounds (+10). Jon Hank fouled out in 19 minutes but Vya Seir got the job done in his place. Good solid defense and lots of discipline all over the court. Al Ruck helped us by scoring 26 outside. When Ohio ST opverplayed inside we got it to Ruck and he seemed to hit shots when we needed them, including 5 threes.

The semester is over, grades are out. My students all did well. Cris Zinn and Quin Addy need to work on grades. Neither is failing but they could be doing better and we will see to it that they do.

Rebecca continues to make progress with her thesis. I read it at least weekly and I feel it is excellent. I believe it will make a major contribution to the field. Time together continues to be difficult to find but we both understand that this is the way it will be until spring. Our wedding will be very simple and very small, fortunately as there is little time for planning. It will probably be in early June.

Spring semester is, in some ways earlier since I do not teach, but I must still supervise my Masters and Ph. D. students, and must still work on publishing. Thankfully I have partners in that endeavor. Next year I will work on a solo article, which will be a greater challenge, but I have some work that needs publishing.

We travel to 3-7 Rice for our last pre-conference game. On paper this should be an easy win. We are better at every position and our bench matches theirs. Still, it is a road game. I am reminding my players of Wash. ST.

Dec. 28: 74-71. Whew! We did not play good D and our threes were not falling. 18, 12 for Sand, 14 for Ruck, 11, 8, 3 for Gill, and +11 rebounding made the difference.

We go to conference with a record of 14-1, ranked #8, RPI #4.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

We begin at 5-8 Brown. They should pose little challenge.

Happy 1971.

Jan. 4: 63-48. Great second half defense. 12 turnovers, +14 rebounds. 29 for Long, 12, 8 for Sand, 6, 10 for Gill.

As to Gill and Hall, it seems whichever one I do NOT start plays better than the one I DO start.

5-9 Penn is here. If we play well this should not be a serious challenge.
Jan. 7: 65-53. Once again, defense and rebounding (+10) got us through. 17 turnovers hurt our effort. 17, 14, 4 for Sand, 20 for Ruck.

Jan. 8: We are ranked #4, which seems a bit high to me. RPI is #10.
At 10-5, 2-0 Yale, perhaps our strongest conference opponent. They lost to several weak non-conference opponents but we will need to play well in order to win, and the 3-2 defense complicates matters.

Jan. 11: 82-61. 11 turnovers and +11 rebounds, 52.6% shooting, 13 threes. 31, 3, 5 for Ruck, 17, 6 for Long, 10, 8 for Sand, 9, 5, 3 with only 2 TOs for Hank. We were never challenged.

8-8, 1-2 Columbia is here. They have some talent outside but we are clearly the better team.

Jan. 14: 53-49. Again, defense got us through but we were awful otherwise, shooting 34.6%, and 4-19 on threes. Hank fouled out in 18 minutes, and his backup, Seir, fouled out in 10. Long, 16, 8, and Sand, 14, 8, were the only bright spots. A win, but a very poorly played game except for the defense.

We remain at #4, RPI is now #6. 18-1, 4-0.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

At 8-9, 1-3 Dartmouth. They are not one of the better teams in the conference but again, it is a road game.

Jan. 18: 69-48. Held them to 17 in the first half. When we play good defense we do very well. 22, 16, 2 for Sand, 22 for Ruck. 9 turnovers.

At 9-9, 2-3 Cornell. They are 7-1 at home so we will need to stay alert.

Jan. 21: 69-78. I rarely say that the officials are altogether to blame but let me point out that Hank fouled out in 14 minutes, Ruck in 22, and Sand in 26. No one from Cornell fouled out. By the same token we allowed our opponents to shoot 51%, and we committed 17 turnovers.

We are now tied for first with Penn.

7-12, 2-4 Princeton is the only conference opponent we have not yet played. The game is here. This is a team we should defeat easily.

Jan. 25: 83-56. Despite the score we did not play particularly well. We simply had far more talent. 9 turnovers.

Penn lost. They and Yale are one game back. Everyone else is three or more back. Halfway through the conference schedule.

“I’ve changed my mind.”

“About what, Rebecca?”

“… About us… about getting married.”

“Oh… And so…?”

“And so I’m breaking off the engagement.”

It wasn’t a very long discussion. It boiled down to Rebecca wanting to remain single and wanting to pursue her career and go where the best opportunities to do that were, rather than going wherever my coaching career might lead us. When I pushed a bit further she admitted that she found me … not particularly exciting. Well, I AM a statistics professor, above all else so that sort of stands to reason. We parted friends but we definitely parted. I think she will rise to the very top of our field and I wished her well, meaning it sincerely.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

7-13, 2-5 Brown is here. We won by 15 there.

Jan. 28: 83-59. We held them to 26.8% shooting. All five of our starters plus Seir, Zinn and Robb from the bench contributed, but Hank fouled out yet again, in 28 minutes. Only 7 turnovers for the team.

As expected Ty Corr did not hit the SAT score. Neither did one of the three PGs we were pursuing.

We offer to Junior college player Jed Clay, PG, #105. We like him a great deal and he has us at #5 on his list so we are hopeful.

Penn is next. They just lost so they are 2 back at 9-12, 5-3. We beat them by 12 at our gym. Their SG and SF do most of the scoring so we will need to get out on the outside shooters.

Feb. 1: 70-54. A close first half but we made adjustments and dominated the second half. All five starters in double figures, Sand with 10 RBs and 4 assists. 15 turnovers, not good but +5. +7 rebounds.

Second place Yale, 15-7, 7-2 is in town. We won by 19 there. A win here would all but assure a first place finish. We had little difficulty with their 3-2 last time.

Feb. 4: 70-50. 12, 16 for Sand, 21, 3 for Ruck, 14 for Hank, 11, 1, 6 for Long, 7, 6 for Hall. 11 turnovers, +8 RBs.

#3, RPI #4. We’re good but I’m not sure we’re this good.

At 11-12, 4-6 Columbia. We won by only 4 at home, their 1-3-1 gave us fits. We are taking this very seriously.

Feb. 8: 76-60. Another very competitive first half. Again, our halftime adjustments led to our taking control. 19 turnovers, the most of any game this season. Only 5 in the second half. Very much a team effort in regard to scoring, six players had between 9 and 16 points. +12 RB.

Only Yale has a statistical chance to catch us. With three to play we lead them by 2. Everyone else trails by 4 or more games.

My life has certainly changed now that Rebecca is no longer part of it. While I am unquestionably both solitary and introverted by nature I do miss being with her. Often we spent an evening simply working, not saying a great deal, but knowing she was with me lent a certain comfort and peace. Ah well, there are no certainties in life. I am certainly coping. I would rather things had worked out differently but one must accept what life brings.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

11-13, 4-7 Dartmouth is here. We won by 21 there.

Feb. 11: 79-59. 11 turnovers, +9 rebounds. 24, 10 for Sand, and everyone else contributed.

Yale lost so we are up by 3 with 2 to play.

13-12, 6-6 Cornell beat us by 9 at their place. They played well, we didn’t, and we were in foul trouble all night. We expect to win the rematch.

Feb. 15: 59-44. Excellent defense. They shot 22%. Almost as much foul trouble as last time, Hank fouled out, Ruck and Sand had 4 each.

At 10-16, 5-8 Princeton to close conference play. We won by 27 at home.

Feb. 18: 78-58. 9 TOs, +7 RBs. 29 for Ruck. We never trailed.

We win the Ivy by 4 games.

Bracket Breaker with 14-9 Charleston coming here. They have some talent but two starters are out with injuries.

Feb. 19: 85-60. 8 turnovers, +11 rebounds. Seven played and all seven played well.

We go to the post season 28-2, #3, RPI #3.

I still miss Rebecca but at this time of year I am so busy that it almost doesn’t matter. Still, I am doing a great deal of thinking about life in general, and about my approach to life. It is difficult to say where this will lead.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

It’s Brown in the quarter finals. We beat them by 15 and then 24.

March 3: 79-58. Never a game. 10 turnovers. 23, 5, 2 for Long but everyone played well.

Yale lost in an upset.

16-13 Cornell, the only conference team to beat us, is next. We won the return match by 15.

March 4: 82-54. Very good defense, 11 turnovers and Jon Hank’s best game in a very long time, 23, 2, 4.

Adam Long sprained a finger. He will be at less than full strength for about a week and a half.

Dartmouth, 14-15, 5-9, finished seventh in the conference but defeated #2 seed Yale and then #3 seed Penn, so here they are in the final. We beat them by 21 and then 20.

March 5: 69-51. Great guard play, 18, 2, 6 for Hank, 20 for Ruck. Kyle Gill had 8 and 8 filling in for the injured Adam Long who did play some.

31-2, #3, RPI #4, and waiting for selection day.

March 12: Now we’re #2, RPI #3.

Not in the East.

#2 in the Midwest. We’ll play Coastal Carolina.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

March 14: Yale won in the NIT.

Matt Hall is 100%.

19-11 Coastal Carolina finished third in the conference and then won the tourney. Frankly, they are overmatched.

March 16: 67-48. We never trailed. 10 TOs. Good play from everyone.
20-10 North Carolina in the round of 32. This is a good team and they played a strong schedule. We will need to play well.

March 18: 75-55. We scored 54 in the first half and never trailed. Not happy with 17 TOs but that was the only negative. Everyone played.

March 21: Yale won in the second round of the NIT.

22-8 Arizona in the Sweet Sixteen. They lost in the first round of their tourney which lowered their seed, but they are 9-1 in their last 10. Not great with the ball but their PG can score. They have a solid inside game.

March 23: 63-48. Again, we led all the way. 12 TOs, +7 RBs. Sand and Ruck had issues with fouls but Sand had 15, 7. 14, 6 for Long, 14 for Hank.

Heading for the Elite Eight! 23-10, #5 seed Indiana. SG and SF both are good scorers. This team is beatable and several unranked teams have managed that but we need to play well.

March 25: 78-69 and we’re in the Final Four! Once again we led all the way. 9 turnovers, +8 rebounds. 18, 16 for Sand, 22, 4, 4 for Ruck, 21, 9, 2 for Hank, 14, 5, 4 for Long.

Lots of excitement in Cambridge, Boston, and throughout the state as we prepare for Harvard’s first ever trip to the Final Four. We will face #1 in the nation Michigan State so it won’t be easy, but we are thrilled to have this opportunity. #22 New Mexico will play #9 Kentucky in the other game.

We are at 35-2, #2, RPI #3.

March 28: Yale wins in the round of four of the NIT.

March 30: Yale defeats UNLV to win the NIT tournament.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

32-4, #1, RPI #1 Michigan State is a terrific team. They are extremely solid outside. Their last loss was on Jan. 14. There is very little that they do not do well. We will need to play near perfect basketball.

April 1: 56-73. We couldn’t stop their outside shooters. PG had 24, 11, 7, SG had 27, 4, SF had 20, 4, 2. For us Sand had 14 and 12, Long 15, 5, 3, and Hank 13, 3, 4 but it wasn’t nearly enough. -4 TOs, -5 RBs. We very simply lost to a better team. Kyle Gill hurt his ankle early and couldn’t do much after that but it would not have mattered.

April 3: Mich. ST beat New Mexico for the title.

April 4: Awards: We run into the usual error so I don’t get to see who won the awards but I can work it out through the player cards. Jon Hank, who graduates, made 2nd all conference team. Al Ruck made 1st team. Adam Long made 1st team and was named Defensive POY. Bay Sand was player of the year, 1st team. I was conf. Coach of the year.

April 9: Iowa State is the best team offering me the head coach job. I fly out there. I decide to stay at Harvard. The academics are not up to Harvard’s, and the opportunities in my field of study are not impressive.

April 16: PG Jed Clay signs. No staff vacancies.

April 23: I ask for a facilities upgrade. Got it! B+.

We were 35-3 this season, truly an incredible year. I must give a great deal of the credit to grad  students Arnold Stern, who defended his doctoral thesis just this week, very successfully. I will miss him enormously as he heads for Oregon State. Also deserving enormous credit is Randall Peck II, who will be with us for two more seasons. He found little things that gave us an edge all season long. His research focused upon tendencies other teams showed in critical situations. Thus we were ready, and able to defend, or to know which defense the opponent was likely to utilize in a given situations. His work kept us a step ahead.

I end the season with a record of 75-27, .735. My numbers are: Off.- 25, Def.- 36, Recruiting- 90, Scout- 91, Player Dev.- 38, Reputation- 51.
We are losing our PG which is a big loss, but everyone else is back. We have three recruits coming in and several returning players who will try to fill the gap.

With the season completed I continue to consider personal issues and possible changes in my approach to life.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

May 1: We buy the National Gold.

June 6: Going after a few transfers.

June 8: “Hi Coach. What’ll ya have?”

“Oh hello. Do I know you?”

“No Coach, but you are pretty famous here you know.”

“Really?”

“Well, going to the Final Four? Yeah, that would do it.”

“Oh yes, I suppose it would.”

“I’m Maggie May. I’m a senior at Northeastern- just about to graduate, actually. This is just to help pay the bills.”

“I see. Um, I think a garden salad with shrimp.”

“It’s actually better with the grilled chicken, take my word.”

“All right, with grilled chicken then.”

“Dressing?”

“Um…”

“You’re the watch the diet type. I’ll bring oil and vinegar.”

“Yes, thank you.”

“Anything to drink?”

“Water please.”

“I’ll put that right in.”

Then she came back. I’d never been here before. It is my practice to walk at lunchtime. Sometimes I have lunch other times not. Today I felt hungry so I stopped in to this quiet little restaurant at about 1:15. The lunch crowd had come and gone so there was only one couple, sitting in a booth.

“So Coach. I’ve seen a few interviews. You seem like the shy type.”

“I am not particularly outgoing, no.”

“One of those smoldering underneath types, a wild man in private?”

“Hardly that, no.”

“Just coach the team, teach the classes? Just a boring life?”

“At times perhaps a bit too boring.”

Now why did I say that? I didn’t even know the young lady. She was rather attractive, certainly, and she was very outgoing. All this thinking I’ve been doing may have led to that rash statement.

“Just a sec, hon. I need to check with that couple in the booth.”

“I’m back. So what’s your first name? I only know you as Coach Hart.”

“My name is ‘Leland.’”

“Leland. I think you should be ‘Lee.’ So you lead a boring life, Lee.”

“Perhaps I shouldn’t have said that, but I do suppose it is more true than not.”

What was I doing!

“Pity. You should ask me out. I could show you how to have fun.”

Strangely enough, after considerably more conversation I did ask her to dinner. She accepted. Maggie May was short, perhaps 5’1”. She was quite thin with very long blond hair and very light blue eyes. She was the high energy type, very talkative, and noticing everything. We ate at a little Chinese restaurant that she suggested, and then walked around since it was a lovely evening. We had walked from her apartment to the restaurant and would eventually walk back to her apartment, but it was a long, rambling trek. Maggie May did most of the talking, which was fine with me. She was quite entertaining. Whenever she saw something- and she saw everything- it would capture her interest and she would explore it and talk about it. She approached interesting looking strangers and began conversations with them.

“Here we are!”

“Yes, here we are. I really enjoyed this, Maggie May.”

“Why don’t you come in. Both of my roommates are out of town. Now that the semester’s over they both spend most of their time with their families. It’s cool. I pay 1/3 of the cost and pretty much have the apartment to myself.”

I did go in. We, well, she continued to chat.

“You’re a nice guy, Lee, but I need to get you to loosen up a little. You know what I’d really like to do?”

“What?”

“Lots of things, but one of them is take you clothes shopping.”

“Why? I have plenty of clothes.”

“Yes, you do, I’m sure, but Lee? It’s 1971 not 1955. Men actually wear colors these days. And you may not have noticed, but the casual look? That’s pretty popular.”

“Oh dear. I must admit that all of that is a complete mystery to me.”

“So let me be your guide. I promise that you can wear your boring clothes at work, I know coaches always dress boring. But you know, professors wear cool clothes these days- anyway, most of mine do. And when you’re not at work you can wear whatever you want so no problem there.”

“Well…”

“Come on, Lee. I KNOW you can afford it.”

“Certainly, it isn’t a question of money, it’s just…”

Within a fairly short amount of time we had arranged a shopping trip for the following afternoon, following which we would again have dinner.

“Lots of other things I want to introduce you to, Lee, but all in good time!”

I had to wonder what that meant but as I was about to say goodnight at the door she kissed me. That itself was rather a learning experience. Maggie May kissed in a manner that was nothing like any other kiss I had ever received.

“Like the lady says, it’s even better when you help.”

And she did it again. I did my best to help this time.

Needless to say my head was swimming as I drove to my apartment. There were many things to consider, almost all of them new and different, as it were. Maggie May was a literature major who planned to go on to graduate school at Northeastern. She was raised by her mother, her father having left when she was still in diapers, never to return. She was quite liberal regarding things such as politics and religion.

June 12: We land a transfer, Junior SF Len Fox.

June 13: By our third or fourth date Maggie May admitted that she used drugs recreationally, which I found quite shocking. Frankly, I was very uncomfortable with that. I am not entirely certain why that revelation did not cause me to break off the relationship at once, but it didn’t. Frankly, I was enthralled with Maggie May. Her energy was invigorating, her interest in life and everything about it was endearing and quite contagious. I felt very… “alive” when in her presence, and enjoyed my time with her immensely. We spent a bit of time together almost every day. There were days when coaching took me out of town but otherwise we simply found a way to be together.

June 22: Within two weeks MM (She had decided I should call her that, for reasons which she chose not to explain) was talking about moving in with me. I was a bit uncomfortable with the idea. Rebecca and I had never cohabitated, nor had I ever lived with a woman, but at the same time, my infatuation with MM made the proposition quite enticing. It would mean getting a new domicile. My apartment simply would not do.

“You should buy a place, Lee. It would be a good investment.”

“I have considered that but I’ve no way of knowing how long I shall remain in Boston. Should a good coaching opportunity at a school where I could continue my career in statistics arise, I would move.”

“Ah, well in that case I guess a nice apartment would be a better idea.”

June 26: Jon Hank was drafted- #58 in a 60 p[layer draft but he was drafted.

Recruiting begins today. We have six scholarships to fill and need guards more than inside players. The staff and I know the eligible players quite well and we know who we wish to pursue. We are looking at 30 players but several will not remain on our lost for long.

On several levels the relationship with MM makes little sense. We are so different. Politics is an example. In 1964 I turned 21. I proudly voted for Barry Goldwater for President. In 1968 I voted for Richard Nixon with equal pride and certainly plan to do so again next year. I certainly NEVER voted for that awful Ted Kennedy for U. S. Senate here in Massachusetts. MM would have voted in just the opposite manner in all cases. She cast her first vote in 1970 and voted for all of the Democrats. When we discuss politics- Vietnam, civil rights, women’s rights, and the like, she makes some very strong arguments. Frankly, I am often at a loss as to how to make my position clear. Still, I know I hold the proper views. I have never been a religious man but she is a committed, very strong atheist. I am not as certain and prefer to consider myself an agnostic, a position I do not make public. She, of course, favors the legalization of marijuana, and all drugs for that matter. I am opposed. She would like me to try smoking marijuana but I have no desire to do so, and disapprove of her use of the narcotic.

Still, despite all of that, I am simply completely enthralled by this woman. I enjoy just about every moment of my time with her and when we are apart I anticipate the next time we shall be together.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

July 4: We are still looking at 23 recruits, 13 PGs, 1 SG, 4 SFs, 4 PFs and a C.

MM has let her roommates know that she will be out of the apartment on or before Aug. 1. We have rented a lovely little ranch style house just off Rt. 28 between Somerville and Malden. We love the place and will move in within the next week or so. It has three bedrooms, two full baths (“I am NOT sharing a bathroom with you, Lee!”), and a finished basement. It also has a garage. MM does not and will not drive. She will bike the three miles or so into Boston when weather permits and will hitch a ride with me otherwise. What she will do when I am out of town I do not know. I asked but did not receive an answer, but I note that we are only about ¼ mile from an MTA station so I suppose that is the answer.

July 14: We’re in the house. We each brought some things but we bought mostly new furniture. MM did most of the choosing but I always had a voice. Frankly, all I really  wanted was a recliner, which was a must; I got it. We both wanted lots of bookcases since we are readers, so that was not an issue. Most of the rest I left to MM and she made some wonderful choices. I love the way the place looks. The third bedroom is my at home office and I really like it. It has the capability of showing films which is very important. I often watch film of both our games as well as games of opponents. MM uses the second bedroom as a sort of study. In the unlikely event that we have sleep over guests she says her things are very portable. This feels like a good move.

Aug. 7: Al Ruck was listed at #48 in the Norton Award preview.

Aug. 14: MM and I have been here for a month. Things have gone well, all in all. It is quite an adjustment to share space with another person but MM is rather easy going. She has certain idiosyncracies but she stated them very clearly at the beginning and issued reminders early on in order to help me remember. Essentially, she wishes me to be quiet on those mornings when she does not need to rise early. She absolutely refuses to share the bathroom but we each have our own. She simply cannot abide dishes in the sink, but we have an automatic dishwasher so I have learned to rinse dishes and to place them in the dishwasher immediately. She sometimes cooks and when she does she is fine with my help doing things such as chopping vegetables and the like, but otherwise wishes me to keep out of her way. There are one or two others but they are quite easy. She notes that I like to breakfast alone and in silence, which I do, and that I prefer little to no conversation for the first hour or so after I wake in the morning. I also cook at times. If she is available to help that is fine with me. When we are together for dinner, which isn't all that often, we dine out as often as we eat in.

Aug. 21: We offer to 4 PGs and 2 bigs initially.

Sept. 11: Home visits.

Sept. 18: Ward Sapp, #32 PG, committed. We lost one.

We will be at the WS Midwest Invitational. All in all we have a more challenging schedule than in prior years. We will play four ranked teams and any that we may meet at WS.

Sept. 25: We received a commitment from Fred Hamm, #48 PG, but lost two.

Oct. 2: Jay Clag, #45 PF committed.

Today was the first day of practice. We look quite solid at every position except Point Guard. Three or four players are in competition for the starting position there.

And, as always, the error message prevents me from seeing Conference Preview. I’ve posted it already.

Oct. 9: Len Harp, #50 PG and Cris Carr, #735 PG, commit. We’d like to get one more inside player.

Oct. 14: MM and I have now been together for three months. We have settled in rather nicely in one sense. In another sense “settled” is hardly the word to describe our life together, and that, I feel, is all to the good as far as I am concerned. Every day is a new adventure. For MM every day holds new fascinations, and whenever I am available I share in the adventures. Sometimes they involve “field trips”- MM’s expression. At other times the adventure may be doing something at home- reorganizing, beginning a new project, sharing a particularly fascinating book- any number of things. Life is never dull these days! At times MM wants to move me too quickly. I resist, and at times I must insist upon certain things. Eventually she wins- always, but I do try to have some say in determining the pace at which I “make progress”, again, to use her term I am unquestionably more open minded, perhaps even more… “liberal” than when we first met. I am also considerably happier. And I freely admit that I love this woman. I only thought I knew what love was before now.

Nov. 6: Exhibition games. We will go with Quin Addy at the Point. He played very well in the exhibition games.

Tough schedule early on. We play exactly on home game before Dec. 2.

Wayne23
  • Wayne23
  • Hall of Famer
  • Members
  • 715 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Helpful

We begin the season at McNeese State. We did not place very many easy teams on our schedule this year but this should be one of them.

Nov. 13: 67-56. More difficult than I had expected. Quin Addy played exactly 9 minutes before fouling out, which was a huge factor (The usual crap where the PG can’t play any minutes without committing fouls. This really needs a fix- for the past three years or so.). Jed Clay did a great job of filling in, which helped. 15, 11 for Sand, 10, 8 for Arms at PF. 14 TOs.

At SMU. They have yet to play so not much to go on.

Nov. 15: 71-49. 19, 10 for Sand, 21, 6 for Long, 8, 4, 3 for Addy, who stayed out of foul trouble. 11 TOs, +10 RBs.

Three games during the first week. At least the next is at home. We face 1-0 Miami. They seem to be very good outside but not strong inside.

Nov. 18: 60-56. We led most of the way, by as many as 15, but they rallied late. The final four point margin was as close as they got but we needed to work for this one. 7 TOs offset the surprising -6 RB. 18 for Addy, 10, 11 for Sand. The rest of the starters contributed. It is early but we need to play better. We are getting very little from the bench and I feel the starters, with the exception of Bay Sand, could do more.

Nov. 20: As happened last year one of our recruits will not hit the SAT score. #40 PG Len Harp is the one. We’ll pursue other Point Guards. We are still chasing an inside player as well.

Ranked #12, RPI #32. It didn’t take long this year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users