Sign in to follow this  
Eric Welsh

Adding coaches to the game?

Just a thought, but this could add some good depth to the game.

Instead of setting up the tactics like we do now, how about hiring a coach who is known to run a specific system.

If you want to run a defence-first trap-style team, hire some kind of fictional Ken Hitchcock. Have fictional bench bosses to represent each of the tactics that exist now.

Imagine re-creating some kind of Broad Street Bullies scenario where your roster is populated with tough players and you have a coach who favours intimidation?

Like you match your players to your systems now, you would sign players to run the system your coach prefers. If you don't, he may not give proper ice time to a certain player, or may even have the authority to sit that player out.

And that player would then demand a trade!

Like players, you could have upwardly mobile coaches who refuse to re-up their contract after a successful season.

You could integrate coaches with the existing 'traits' system. Have coaches who clash with lazy or arrogant players. Coaches who are challenged by the idea of motivating lazy players. Coaches who have a calming influence on nervous or anxious players and coaches who push those same players into mental-breakdown territory.

Loving or hating the coach could add another reason for a player to sign or not sign with your team.

The coach could also factor into a team's reputation.

Definitely a good idea, Eric!  Coaches have been suggested before, along with other staff like Scouts.  There is no ETA to implement these into the game, but I know Anders and Tobias have it on their list.

Coaches would definitely bring their own unique flavor to the game. There are countless possibilities with this.

This should probably be a topic of its own, but facilities might be a good addition too, to add more managing aspects, control your arena sales from tickets to merchandise. I was reading today how Arizona Coyotes is one of the few NHL teams that actually operates within a budget of its own, meaning they can't afford to pay as much as the cap allows. This made me think of GPHM.. Implementing this would be difficult, and I kind of like how you have a solid cap to operate with without worries, but if done right, it could be something fun to consider.

I’ve played management games with arena ticket sales and budgets etc, it seemed a bit too complicated for my taste. I like to just focus on the team building aspect of the game. Don’t get me wrong, when I first heard of it I loved the idea of it, but once put into action it got tedious.

I agree with Gator Raid, I'm not huge on micromanaging the minutiae.  I like how GPHM has a salary cap and that's it.  It's not about being the richest team, it's about having the right players to win a cup.

I’ve played management games with arena ticket sales and budgets etc, it seemed a bit too complicated for my taste. I like to just focus on the team building aspect of the game. Don’t get me wrong, when I first heard of it I loved the idea of it, but once put into action it got tedious.

That game you're referring to hockey arena by any chance? 

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this