Sign in to follow this  
zinnyzxx

Why do I keep losing (help a new member)

Question

So I took over the Bellmore Golden Flyers in Howitzer world (LIHL) and over the off season I assembled what I would consider a top 5 team in the league. At the very least, the team is significantly better than last year, and that year the team finished 8th with a pretty decent record.

Now with this much improved team, I can't even reach a .500 record.

The first pic is the assistance's report on my most recent game. Many of the statements in here are said every single game. However those players have decent to good performance ratings.

Even though I haven't played this game for long, I've taken it seriously, and put many hours into it. And it's beyond frustrating to see my efforts wasted.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I can provide any info about my team if needed.

Thanks

Screenshot_20180410-092606.png

Screenshot_20180410-092614.png

Screenshot_20180410-092620.png

12 answers to this question

Since I can't see the most important thing, your roster, I can't really do much to help. With what I can see it could be anything from trying to get players on a line to play a style that doesn't suit them to the players just not liking the system which is a possibility.

Like Rainsilent said, we need to see the roster to be able to help out. Although from your first attached thumbnail, it looks like you have guys playing in a different role than what they're good at. Based on the same thumbnail, check your checking line players to see if they make good grinders, power forwards or enforcers. (Maybe not enforcers, I haven't really chased any so I'm not sure if they are good checking players.) Also check that your two-way defensive lines and stay-at-home defensive lines are good at their role. Another common mistake is teams ignoring teamwork/winner instinct/size. Bad teamwork is a death sentence. Winner instinct is increased by having a good mix of green and blue trait players (eg: heroic, determined, stable). Although a few yellow/red guys won't hurt and too many green guys actually can. Size is less important, but I've found that teams that look good, but have an average height of 5'8" often do bad. Bigger teams also often finish higher than a person would expect.

The one big thing why I like this game is that the overall of your players is only a small part how to build a winning team. Here is a couple pointers what you should always keep in mind when you are building a team. Make sure your players fits for the offensive and defensive tactics you have chose to play. Also your players needs to fit for the roles you have assinged them, like sniper needs good shooting and playmaker needs good puckhandling and passing. Try avoid red traits if possible. Also strong goalie helps you get much needed extra points. Size and traits are very important for goalie, not just a high overall rating. Those are the basick thing what I always keep in mind when I am getting new players and for me it has worked great. Never I had a high overall players compared to top teams but like i said overalls are small part of building a team what can succes.

Hi.  I just promoted from LIHL to IHL in biscuit.  My 1st year was great my 2nd season was a disaster.  So rather than change the style of play you inherited, concentrate on next season's draft and free agents.   Get a good a goalie!  Check the players in the next draft.  take time to find the players that fit your system and make sure to shortlist them and order your shortlist in the preference you want.  That does not mean you'll get the players you want but you're more likely not to get a draft full of garbage.   Good luck

1) Your defenders can't skate.  All the defensive tactics except cons trap need some mobility.

2) You are at least one Defender short.  Your Defrenders should be getting tired.  I play 7 def with one only playing Spec teams (PP usually)

3) Way too many snipers. A few should change roles

4) Goalies are under performing for their stats (still wondering about Defenders Endurance)

If one of the defensive lines is set to an Offensive tactic, I doubt they have the skates to get back against good lines.  It looks like you are probably crushing the lower teams and being crushed by the top tier.

The guys should only hit tired a few times a season.  For now set your Defenders training to easy.  If you have any money get another defender or two.

Just checked you have some guys exhausted on def :)

On your roster hit the info tab and look at the last column.

70% scoring is probably way too much. Checking line is very difficult to get to work, and you only have 10% two-way line. Depending on what kind of players you have in your two-way line(s), two-way line is a good option for both preventing opponent goals (with defensive skilled players) and scoring some of your own (with offensive skilled players). You probably should either use some of your current players in two-way line(s) with more ice-time and/or get some more suitable players for this purpose. Every two-way line players should have decent DEF ability. I personally like them to have a green bar in two-way role even if they play playmaker/sniper/powerforward, if possible. I would try to balance the lines with 40-60% scoring and 40-60% two-way(/energy/checking) focuses.

You also might want to consider changing your defensive tactic. My advice would be to consider between spread, conservative trap and aggressive forecheck, depending on how you want to emphasize what your current players are good at, what kind of game you want to play and build the team that way and what kind of tactics your opponents use. All these tactics are quite good against three different offense tactics and have only one obvious weakness each.

Player should always fit into a role you want him to play. It does not necessarily need to be his best role bar (if it is, great), but preferably green bar nonetheless. Then the individual roles should fit into the line, so that the line has a good mix of different roles. And finally different lines should form a balanced whole.

So the primary issues are that your checking line only has 1 decent checking type player and you have no two way defenders. Never mind the role that you set for your players. Basically you got players trying to do things that they aren't good at doing. Also all of your defensemen are defensive defensemen. You can set them to match line but stay at home would likely be best for most if not all of them. Only one of your forwards makes for a suitable player on a checking line so scrap the checking line for a two way line and adjust players as necessary.

Finally team tactics wise set it to what you want it to be. The players will develop into the tactics that you choose. Just know that it may take time to do. Also you don't necessarily need a 7th defender however seeing as how most of your defenders have relatively low endurance ratings if you find your defenders getting tired a lot it may be an option worth exploring. That said only playing 1 on each PP would almost do the same thing as it will actively cut down the amount of time on ice the defenders are getting and that alone may be enough.

Rainsilent, Fangowolf, and Wendel Clark, thank you for all of your input. I've made a few changes now. I had no idea players would get exhausted, I was only monitoring that for goalies.

I signed a defenseman, but he won't show up till tomorrow. In the meantime, I scratched the most tired defenseman and put in a serviceable guy from the minors (although his skating is still garbage) but it will work to get the guy back healthy.

I'm also going to spread out the icetime a bit more and put 4 forwards on the pp and hopefully that will guard against fatigue. 

I'll come back to this thread with any updates or questions.

Thanks again for all of your help 

Looks like someone is getting promoted this year.

Yes I did!

And I'm top 5 in the IHL already. Thank you so much, everyone with their advice on this post. You helped me find my own strategy and realize Ovechkin shouldn't be on the PK lol.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this