Sign in to follow this  
Steve

So nervous I peed a little

Question

Anyone figure out ways to improve nervous players? Somehow I have amassed a team over time that is all bed wetters. Is it best to try and keep them apart as linemates or group them together to try and limit the fear?!? "Not in the face!"

8 answers to this question

Are your nervous players playing poorly?  Worse than your Determined/Stable players? 

I have a few Nervous/Anxious players, but they perform just as well, if not better, than my other players.  I've always thought the Big Games trait was more of an overall team factor (i.e. Winner Instinct).  Or maybe if you have enough Heroic/Determined/Stable players it will offset the Nervous players... and if you have too many Nervous players, like you said, then players actually start playing that way?  I'm just grasping at this point.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Paul, my assumption is along your thoughts. My winner instinct as a team isn't ideal and I wonder if my scoring is so low due to their nervousness. I don't see any correlation between the nervousness and performance. Some are high, some low.

Big game trait relates to players performance under pressure. I'm not sure how much of a factor it plays into when say it's a one goal game late in the third but there is definitely a correlation to playoff performance. There is a team in my league that is loaded with talent but has pathetic winner instinct and I believe their lack of playoff success recently is because of just that. 

If you have a team full of nervous and anxious players I'd be very concerned when it comes to playoff performance or god forbid wetting the bed in a relegation situation. I tend to cap my team at 2-3 nervous or anxious players as if they were to perform poorly due to pressure they could derail an entire line. 

You can dive into the detailed game reports to see if their nervousness is a factor in their performance, that would be a good indication as to whether it is having an affect. For the most part I am under the impression that it is only a factor come playoff time and even then it doesn't mean they'll be ineffective, they just won't be able to elevate their game to the extent a heroic or determined player may. 

@ncik: I'm not a believer of the nervous traits or traits in general. I think they have too less of an impact. I would want to see that changed because I believe traits are equally important than skills. Look at it in real life, if you have all the skill in the world but if the mentality is bad, it will have consequences. Where traits now in GPHM don't have that impact.

In Biscuit for example, the last 2 winners of the cup was the same team. They won with 12-13 anxious/nervous players, with 7-8 nervous players. So much for the big game trait.

@ncik:

In Biscuit for example, the last 2 winners of the cup was the same team. They won with 12-13 anxious/nervous players, with 7-8 nervous players. So much for the big game trait.

I too have noticed this and was wondering if I was trying to fix something for no reason and focus on something else. Like I said above, comparing only my players against each other, some of my best consistent performers (all relative) are "nervous".

Well one thing I've noticed with my team (high number of nervous/anxious players) is that we've been pretty inconsistent. At one point this year I think we were alternating 5-0 wins with 5-1 losses. Not sure if there are other confounding factors but we also tend to go on extended hot/cold streaks for long stretches of the season - it just so happened that the playoffs fit into one of our extended hot streaks for the last two seasons. 

I can't find the thread I'm trying to reference, but a while but we had a discussion about the role of team confidence. I made a point that confidence plays a role in a team performing above or playing below their level. I think big game traits is a similar situation. A great team can still succeed with nervous and anxious players, they just won't be as likely to elevate their game to another level in playoffs or when the score is tight the same way a team with a heroic winner instinct could.

I don't think the influence traits have needs to be turned up as I've witnessed the last few years traits and confidence have an influence in the playoffs. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to them being turned up. Like player ego for example, it would be interesting if a team full of egotistical and cocky players would have a tough time following team tactics. 

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this