Sign in to follow this  
koekefix

NHL discussion

Maybe? Gusev has never played on the smaller ice and not all players make the transition successfully. That said I don't doubt that he will. In my mind, the question is will he be Panarin like? The KHL doesn't have anywhere near the quality of play and structure that the NHL has. Ultimately Vegas didn't have a choice as the other teams easily could force their hand in low balling offers in comparison to his talent claiming that he is an unknown on NHL ice and Vegas had to do something. All things considered, I think Vegas did ok with the return however if Gusev is even Radulov like Jersey won easily. If he is Panarin like it is a massive steal and the Devils may be a serious cup contender.

Maybe? Gusev has never played on the smaller ice and not all players make the transition successfully. That said I don't doubt that he will. In my mind, the question is will he be Panarin like? The KHL doesn't have anywhere near the quality of play and structure that the NHL has. Ultimately Vegas didn't have a choice as the other teams easily could force their hand in low balling offers in comparison to his talent claiming that he is an unknown on NHL ice and Vegas had to do something. All things considered, I think Vegas did ok with the return however if Gusev is even Radulov like Jersey won easily. If he is Panarin like it is a massive steal and the Devils may be a serious cup contender.

I think Gusev will be good. He has dominated everywhere he has been. Plenty of Russian players from the KHL have done well in the NHL. I don't think a 2nd and 3rd round pick were worth it for Gusev. VGK got finessed.

While I agree let me point out two things. Vegas just went through Shipachyov. A player about as talented that didn't make the transition. Also, I don't see a team paying more than what the Devils did for that reason above as there is still risk that Gusev may not make the transition successfully. We both agree that that risk is pretty much nonexistent but it is still there. Thus the rest of the NHL GMs basically forced the issue of low ball offers and I think Vegas took the best one that was on the table. It is also possible that Gusev likely wasn't willing to wait for Vegas to clear the cap space much longer and pushed for something to happen.

I genuinely think that was the best offer on the table at the time for Vegas. If it was Vegas got the best offer it could. That said I would have tried to trade someone else before Gusev. Ideally Smith but that is very unlikely with his m-ntc.

While I agree let me point out two things. Vegas just went through Shipachyov. A player about as talented that didn't make the transition.

Shipachyov also didn't receive a fair opportunity.  He didn't need waivers, and as a result, was sent to the AHL due to the log jam of players Vegas had after the expansion.  He played 3 North American games total, which is too small to judge his sample size.  In addition, Gusev will be likely placed into a role to succeed, thus making it easier for him to show his potential.  Shipachyov got an average of only 11 minutes a night in his 3 games, I believe, whereas Gusev will likely get in the 15-18 range

In the end, I agree that he wasn't given a full, fair shake. However, he was having difficulties with some adjustments to the smaller ice and the team wanted him to do that in the AHL. He didn't want to and asked to return to Russia and the team granted it. The depth the team had was a major player into it. Another major difference is Shipachyov basically came over last second and hopped into the NHL cold feet on everything. Gusev isn't doing that at all. Thus I think the chances that Gusev runs into the same issues is much smaller.

I have a good one for you all...imagine the defensive pairing of Zdeno Chara(6 ft. 9 in. 250 lbs.) and John Scott(6 ft. 8 in. 260 lbs.)

Good thing both can't skate with today's nhl speed.  I think a more deadly combo will be Tryamkin and Myers in Vancouver if he comes over next year.  Maybe not as menacing but still a scary looking d pair

A hockey page that I follow on facebook posted these for every division.  The Atlantic had the two teams that have updated their logo the most.  I had to start laughing because when I saw Toronto, I immediately thought of Deadwing!  😂

image.png

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

The Buffaslug!

I gotta give the Wings credit.  For a team as old as they are, they have rarely updated their logo.  

Can't say the same for Toronto or Montreal. 🙄

What's everyone think about Ovechkin's chances of catching Gretzky on the all time goals list?  Originally a record I thought could never be broken seems to be in reach.  Barring injury, he should be around Esposito by end of season.  I suppose it depends on if he can play another 4-5 seasons.

THEN, alls he needs is another 1400 assists to catch him in points.

image.png

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

If he stays healthy and he wants to play at least 4 more seasons I see it as very likely. Personally, I have always thought that Gretzky's goal total is going to eventually fall. The reason? The NHL is trying to introduce more scoring into the game. Combine that with skaters getting faster and becoming more skilled and I think it is an inevitability. Are we going to see another player near his points total? I think not. I think that McDavid is a better player than Gretzky was in his prime and McDavid is nowhere near 200 points a season. Before anyone goes crazy let me point out that Gretzky was never a great skater, never that good defensively nor did he have a great shot. What made Gretzky so special was how he used skill to beat defenses in ways no one else ever had done before.

The problem to my idea is Stamkos get hurt which caps his scoring ability to a lower point than what it once was. Laine just doesn't sustain it due to lack of consistent effort. He has the shot and skill to be getting 50 a season yet he hasn't gotten there yet. Then there is Matthews and Point. Those two are the most prolific goal scorers next to Laine. Matthews is the better pure shooter but Point combines a great shot with better puck skills and per game effort in my opinion. Point, however, sacrifices some offense for a better overall team game due to all of that. He is already bordering on Datsyuk like in terms sacrificing offense for defense. I don't think McDavid has the pure shot to match Matthews or Point. While Draisaitl does the team around him isn't good enough for him to really sustain it I think. That doesn't take into account the slow start to his career.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this