Sign in to follow this  
son of sam99

Return to HockeyTown... A Detroit Red Wings BeaGM

Author’s Note—

Unfortunately I didn’t decide to fully jump in with the BeAGM story until I had already played up to the playoffs of the first season. So my goal is to move through the regular season fairly quickly and begin to provide more in depth game recaps beginning in season two.

Also this is my first time posting a dynasty on this website so if i step on any toes please let me know. I have some pictures to be included in this but an having trouble formatting them as I'm unfamiliar with the set up here. Regardless, enjoy the story!!

September 26, 2013

Free-Press.jpg

Ken Holland Steps Down as Wings’ GM

Holand.jpg

Detroit MI-     In an emotional press conference on Friday at Joe Lewis Arena, Red Wings General Manager, Ken Holland announced he had been diagnosed with stage 2 toe cancer and would be taking a leave of absence from hockey operations with the team.

“Really it wasn’t a difficult decision. I’ll be working with some of the best doctors in the world to improve my health and get back in the game.” Holland said. Holland has been with the franchise since 1983 and in that time the team has won four Stanley Cups, it is in part due to his leadership that the team hasn’t missed the playoffs since 1990. Holland also orchestrated the drafting of such current stars as Pavel Datsuyk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Niklas Kronwall.

“Ken is an amazing guy to work with. He’ll always tell you the truth, not necessarily what you want to hear. But in the business of hockey that’s the kind of leadership a franchise needs.” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said when reached for comment.

“Mike’s health is the most important thing for all parties involved.” Mike Illitch, chairman of franchise owners Olympia Entertainment said on the matter. “We all look forward to his recovery and return to the front office.”

In the interim until Holland is able to return, Rick Watkins, assistant general manager since 2008 will step in. Watkins had the following to say; “Its and intimidating prospect to come in and try to take over for an executive as accomplished as Ken. But I’m excited to meet those challenges.”

The news comes at a difficult time for the team with just two weeks until the season begins with a game against Buffalo. 

letterhead.jpg

Entry: September 26th 2013

The presser to announce Ken Holland’s semi retirement was today. Since he told me his situation I’ve been dreading this day, having to tell people about the diagnosis but obviously its come and passed.

I had the nightmare again last night… Again. I’m suddenly in my office on the phone and somehow, someway I just green lit a trade sending Datsyuk, Nyquist, and draft picks away in exchange for Luongo. I know that I would never do that and that Ken has set the franchise up for relative smooth sailing for the season. But what if the production isn’t there? What if we need to make a move and I just botch the deal? These fans expect a winner and if that doesn’t happen the axe won’t fall on Babcock’s neck.

Anyway I’ve just got to be confident in my decisions and if all else fails, ask myself what Ken would do in any given situation. He did pull me aside after the presser to remind me that he believes I’m ready for this. I am excited for the challenges but certainly have big shoes to fill. I’ve got to make my own decision but if I do some thing the way he did it may not be a bad thing as well. That’s why I’ll be keeping a personal journal occasionally. 

letterhead.jpg

Roster Notes

Centers

P. Datsyuk- Playmaker & scorer, 35 years old, $7.175MM, 4 years left on deal. The magic man is the centerpiece of the franchise and should be one of the top 3 goal scorers. When healthy you can rely on him for about a point per game but he’s struggled to play even 50 games a season recently. He’ll have a roster spot as long as he wants one though.

D. Helm- Two way forward, 27 years old, $4.275MM, 2 years left on contract. A reliable center that will pester his check into making mistakes and turnovers but will never net more than 15 goals a season at best. Probably has reached his ceiling & $4+MM may be expensive for what he provides

D. Legwand- Two way forward, 33 years old, $1.975 MM, UFA at end of season. Another defensive center though Legwand is a bargain at under $2MM. Not a scorer and a liability at the faceoff dot, look to play on the wing.

S. Weiss- Playmaker, 31 years old, $4.66MM, 5 years left on contract. A solid skater and good penalty killer who will provide needed depth. Expensive for what he provides and CANNOT be paying him $4.66MM when he’s 35 years old. Look to renegotiate or trade

Left Wingers

H. Zetterberg- Playmaker, 33 years old, $5.8MM, 4 years left on contract. Hampered by injuries recently, we’ll need 75 games out of him for this to be a special season. Still has some gas in the tank and we can expected to retire as team captain like Lidstrom & Yzerman before.

J. Abdelkader- Power forward, 27 years old, $1.665 MM, 3 years left on contract. listed as power forward but with a lot of speed. Works the corners to win the puck and can snipe at times as well. At 27 he should be around for a long time.

D. Cleary- Two way forward, 35 years old, $.55MM, UFA at end of season. A solid depth winger who is most proficient in the defensive end. Cant beat his price tag, will have to reevaluate if he should be pursued at end of season.

D. Miller-  Two way forward, 30 years old, $.925MM, 3 years left on contract. He’s purely a depth winger that will start the season in the AHL or remain a healthy scratch. A solid option if injuries necessitate he get ice time.

G. Nyquist- Playmaker, 24 years old, $.84MM, 2 years left on deal. Future superstar… Only 24 years old and ready to play entire NHL season. Still some room to learn & grow his game but we can expect him to score 30+ for the next several seasons. He’s going to get paid after the 2015 season.

Right Wingers

J. Franzen- two way forward, 34 years old, $3.74MM, 4 years left on contract. Mule. Top notch defensive forward and fore checker who can win the front of the net in the offensive zone. A bargain for what he provides on and off the ice. Not totally convinced he’ll play out the remainder of his contract.

D. Alfredsson- Playmaker, 41 years old, $3.5MM, UFA at end of season. Will surly retire at end of season, slow, injury liability, doesn’t provide offense, LOOK TO OFFLOAD.

T. Bertuzzi- Power forward, 39 years old, $1.98MM, UFA at end of season. Likely to retire at end of season but we need his depth & the grit he can provide in the meantime.

T. Tatar- Two way forward, 23 years old, $1.615MM, RFA at end of season. Could be a future superstar. Still needs to learn the defensive side of his game but seems to have a high ceiling. Will look to sign long term deal in offseason.

M. Samuelsson- depth.

Defensemen

J. Kindl- two way defensemen, 27 years old, $2.245MM, 4 years left on contract.

J. Ericsson- defensive defensemen, 30 years old, $4.03MM, 7 years left on contract.

D. DeKeyser- offensive defensemen, 24 years old, $.815MM, RFA at end of season.

N. Kronwall- two way defensemen, 33 years old, $4.515MM, 6 years left on contract.

K. Quincey- two way defenseman, 28 years old, $3.575MM, UFA at end of season.

B. Smith- two way defenseman, 25 years old, $1.145MM, 2 years left on contract.

Goalies

J. Howard- 29 years old, $5.290MM, 4 years left on contract.

J. Gustavsson- 29 years old, $1.375MM, UFA at end of season.

Noteable Minors

C. Emmerton- Center, playmaker, 25 years old, $.53MM, RFA at end of season.

R. Sheahan- Center, two way forward, 22 years old, $.9MM, RFA at end of season.

J. Andersson- Center, two way forward, 25 years old, $.735MM, 2 years left on contract.

Ferraro- Center, two way forward, 22 years old, $.685MM, RFA at end of season.

T. Jurco- right winger, sniper, 21 years old, $.925MM, 2 years left on contract.

T. Pulkkinen- right winger, sniper, 22 years old, $.9MM, 2 years left on contract.

X. Oulett- two way defensman, 20 years old, $.89MM, 3 years eft on contract.

P. Mrazek- goalie, 22 years old, $.79MM, 2 years left on deal.

Mantha- right winger, power forward, 19 years old, $.925MM, 3 years left on deal.

letterhead.jpg

Entry: September 30th, 2013

We had further talks around the league trying to shop Daniel Alfredsson. San Jose, Edmonton, Phoenix, and Dallas all had no interest. It’s obvious to everyone that we’re trying to free up cap space so they’re all requiring us to pay some portion of his salary which I’m not willing to do. Even Ottawa wouldn’t listen to any kind of deal despite the fact that their fan base wants to see him in a Senator’s sweater before he officially retires. They wanted us to send over Tatar or Jurco and that’s just not going to happen.

In other news we sent our scouts out to look at forwards in the WHL & OHL for six weeks each. Those guys are so amped for this crop of prospects that it’s funny to hear them talk about all the talent abound. We may work to trade up to try to go after Ekblad or Reinhart but not sure yet. Hopefully, we won’t be able to touch those guys honestly.

Ken left our minors in great shape with guys like Pulkkanin and Sheahan likely to soon be making an impact in the NHL and some even younger players who look like they have a very high ceiling. 

The season officially starts against Buffalo in two nights and I’ve been trying to collect my thoughts as to what I expect out of the team over the next 82 games for about a week but cant seem to come down on one side or the other. I’d like to add scoring and see if there is any way to add some flash to the lineup but the free agent market is barren. We’ll have to see how the season progresses. 

Free-Press.jpg

Red Wings 2013-14 Season Preview

Detroit, MI- Despite front office turmoil the Red Wings players and coaches will have to gain their focus as the NHL regular season begins in earnest this week. Head Coach Mike Babcock has made it clear that he expects the team to improve on their 24-16-8 record (over 48 games) from the 2012-13 lockout shortened season.

The roster this season contains a combination of seasoned veterans like scoring leaders Pavel Datsuyk and Henrik Zetterberg as well as promising young prospects like Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, and Danny Dekeyser.

Detroit Red Wings Forwards - 2013-14
  STARTER 2ND 3RD 4TH
LW G. Nyquist J. Abdelkader T. Tatar D. Cleary
C P. Datsyuk H. Zetterberg D. Helm S. Weiss
RW J. Franzen T. Bertuzzi D. Legwand D. Alfredsson

There is minimal personnel movement among the top twelve forwards and although fans can expect Head Coach Mike Babcock to shift players around as necessary this is how the lines parings should look on opening night. The first and second lines each have a nice mixture of speed, scoring talent, and grit while the third and fourth lines add depth to the team. We’ll see if anything changes here in the short term as word around the league says that the team is shopping Daniel Alfredsson around in an attempt to clear cap space.

Detroit Red Wings Defensive Parings - 2013-14
  STARTER 2ND 3RD 4TH
D #1 N. Kronwall B. Smith J. Ericsson  
D #2 K. Quincey J. Kindl D. DeKeyser  

The blue line will once again be anchored by Nicklas Kronwall but youngsters like Brendan Smith and Danny DeKeyser will have to step up and prove that they belong. Kyle Quincey is in a contract year and could potentially cash in after the season if he proves himself to be worth it. Analysts are predicting the defense to be the Wings’ biggest strength coming into the season.

Goalies- Howard - Gustavsson

In the goalie crease the Wings will rely on mostly on Jimmy Howard who will be entering his fifth season with the team. Last season Howard posted a sterling 2.13 goals against average and .923 save percentage in 42 games. If he can produce more numbers like that he’ll establish himself as a truly elite NHL goaltender. In the backup role Jonas Gustavsson should carry an expanded role from last season, if he can remain solid then the team should be in great shape between the pipes.

AHLers to Watch For

The Red Wings’ farm system is in great shape thanks to the front office consistently fostering solid young players. This season fans could see the likes of forward Riley Sheahan, Joakim Andersson and Tomas Jurco at Joe Lewis Arena if the big club requires their services. Goalie Petr Mrazek is widely regarded as the franchise’s top prospect though most pundits agree he needs another year in the minors to grow his abilities.

Detroit Red Wings 2013-14 Schedule

DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Oct 2vs Buffalo Sabres
Oct 4at Carolina Hurricanes
Oct 5at Boston Bruins
Oct 9vs Phoenix Coyoties
Oct 12vs Philadelphia Flyers
Oct 14at Boston Bruins
Oct 15vs Columbus Blue Jackets
Oct 17at Colorado Avalanche
Oct 19at Phoenix Coyotes
Oct 21vs San Jose Sharks
Oct 23vs Ottawa Senators
Oct 26vs New York Rangers
Oct 30at Vancuover Canucks
Nov 1at Calgary Flames
Nov 2at Edmonton Oilers
Nov 4at Winnipeg Jets
Nov 7vs Dallas Stars
Nov 9vs Tampa Bay Lightning
Nov 12vs Winnipeg Jets
Nov 15vs Washington Capitals
Nov 16at New York Islanders
Nov 19vs Nashville Predators
Nov 21vs Carolina Hurricanes
Nov 23at Ottawa Senators
Nov 24at Buffalo Sabres
Nov 27vs Boston Bruins
Nov 29at New York Islanders
Dec 1at Ottawa Senators
Dec 4vs Philadelphia Flyers
Dec 6at New Jersey Devils
Dec 7vs Florida Panthers
Dec 10at Florida Panthers
Dec 12at Tampa Bay Lightning
Dec 14vs Pittsburgh Penguins
Dec 15vs Tampa Bay Lightning
Dec 17vs Anaheim Ducks
Dec 19vs Calgary Flames
Dec 21at Toronto Maple Leafs
Dec 23vs New York Islanders
Dec 28at Florida Panthers
Dec 30at Nashville Predators
Jan 1vs Toronto Maple Leafs
Jan 4at Dallas Stars
Jan 9at San Jose Sharks
Jan 11at LA Kings
Jan 12at Anaheim Ducks
Jan 16at New York Rangers
Jan 18vs LA Kings
Jan 20vs St. Louis Blues
Jan 22vs Chicago Blackhawks
Jan 24vs Montreal Canadiens
Jan 26vs Florida Panthers
Jan 28at Philadelphia Flyers
Jan 31vs Washington Capitals
Feb 2vs Washington Capitals
Feb 3vs Vancuover Canucks
Feb 6at Florida Panthers
Feb 8at Tampa Bay Lightning
Feb 26at Montreal Canadiens
Feb 27at Ottawa Senators
Mar 4at New Jersey Devils
Mar 5vs TRADE DEADLINE
Mar 6vs Colorado Avalanche
Mar 7vs New Jersey Devils
Mar 9at New York Rangers
Mar 11at Columbus Blue Jackets
Mar 14vs Edmonton Oilers
Mar 16at Chicago Blackhawks
Mar 18vs Toronto Maple Leafs
Mar 20vs Pittsburgh Penguins
Mar 22at Minnesota Wild
Mar 23vs Minnesota Wild
Mar 24at Columbus Blue Jackets
Mar 27vs Minnesota Wild
Mar 29at Toronto Maple Leafs
Mar 30vs Tampa Bay Lightning
Apr 2vs Boston Bruins
Apr 4vs Buffalo Sabres
Apr 5at Montreal Canadiens
Apr 8at Buffalo Sabres
Apr 9at Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 11vs Carolina Hurricanes
Apr 13at St. Louis Blues

DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Oct 2 vs Buffalo Sabres  
Oct 4 at Carolina Hurricanes  
Oct 5 at Boston Bruins  
Oct 9 vs Phoenix Coyoties  
Oct 12 vs Philadelphia Flyers  
Oct 14 at Boston Bruins  
Oct 15 vs Columbus Blue Jackets  
Oct 17 at Colorado Avalanche  
Oct 19 at Phoenix Coyotes  
Oct 21 vs San Jose Sharks  
Oct 23 vs Ottawa Senators  
Oct 26 vs New York Rangers  
Oct 30 at Vancuover Canucks  
Nov 1 at Calgary Flames  
Nov 2 at Edmonton Oilers  
Nov 4 at Winnipeg Jets  
Nov 7 vs Dallas Stars  
Nov 9 vs Tampa Bay Lightning  
Nov 12 vs Winnipeg Jets  
Nov 15 vs Washington Capitals  
Nov 16 at New York Islanders  
Nov 19 vs Nashville Predators  
Nov 21 vs Carolina Hurricanes  
Nov 23 at Ottawa Senators  
Nov 24 at Buffalo Sabres  
Nov 27 vs Boston Bruins  
Nov 29 at New York Islanders  
Dec 1 at Ottawa Senators  
Dec 4 vs Philadelphia Flyers  
Dec 6 at New Jersey Devils  
Dec 7 vs Florida Panthers  
Dec 10 at Florida Panthers  
Dec 12 at Tampa Bay Lightning  
Dec 14 vs Pittsburgh Penguins  
Dec 15 vs Tampa Bay Lightning  
Dec 17 vs Anaheim Ducks  
Dec 19 vs Calgary Flames  
Dec 21 at Toronto Maple Leafs  
Dec 23 vs New York Islanders  
Dec 28 at Florida Panthers  
Dec 30 at Nashville Predators  
Jan 1 vs Toronto Maple Leafs  
Jan 4 at Dallas Stars  
Jan 9 at San Jose Sharks  
Jan 11 at LA Kings  
Jan 12 at Anaheim Ducks  
Jan 16 at New York Rangers  
Jan 18 vs LA Kings  
Jan 20 vs St. Louis Blues  
Jan 22 vs Chicago Blackhawks  
Jan 24 vs Montreal Canadiens  
Jan 26 vs Florida Panthers  
Jan 28 at Philadelphia Flyers  
Jan 31 vs Washington Capitals  
Feb 2 vs Washington Capitals  
Feb 3 vs Vancuover Canucks  
Feb 6 at Florida Panthers  
Feb 8 at Tampa Bay Lightning  
Feb 26 at Montreal Canadiens  
Feb 27 at Ottawa Senators  
Mar 4 at New Jersey Devils  
Mar 5 vs TRADE DEADLINE  
Mar 6 vs Colorado Avalanche  
Mar 7 vs New Jersey Devils  
Mar 9 at New York Rangers  
Mar 11 at Columbus Blue Jackets  
Mar 14 vs Edmonton Oilers  
Mar 16 at Chicago Blackhawks  
Mar 18 vs Toronto Maple Leafs  
Mar 20 vs Pittsburgh Penguins  
Mar 22 at Minnesota Wild  
Mar 23 vs Minnesota Wild  
Mar 24 at Columbus Blue Jackets  
Mar 27 vs Minnesota Wild  
Mar 29 at Toronto Maple Leafs  
Mar 30 vs Tampa Bay Lightning  
Apr 2 vs Boston Bruins  
Apr 4 vs Buffalo Sabres  
Apr 5 at Montreal Canadiens  
Apr 8 at Buffalo Sabres  
Apr 9 at Pittsburgh Penguins  
Apr 11 vs Carolina Hurricanes  
Apr 13 at St. Louis Blues  

letterhead.jpg

Entry: October 3rd, 2013

Finally we were able to offload Alffredsson. The LA Kings sent us their first round pick in the upcoming draft. There was criticism in the media about giving up a “solid veteran” for just one draft pick and I wish we had pushed for more. For all we know though it could turn into Ekblad.

With the hole in the lineup it looks like Babcock will move Zetterberg to center and Legwand to RW as he’s a liability in the faceoff dot anyway.

Now that that goal has been knocked out I felt like the roster is where it should be. I wish we could have gotten to this point before the first game but nonetheless we’re ready for the coming 81 games.

I also met with Mike Illich two days ago. He made it clear in not so many words that the results of this team would fall on my head and that he expected the team to win 42 games and make a run into the second round of the playoffs. I’m 100% confidant that the current roster can accomplish this.

The more and more though I look at whom we have, I see this team as a year away from challenging for the cup. I expect Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Sheahan, and Mrazek to make big strides in their game throughout this season. If all those guys can step up and our veterans can be healthy I expect a serious cup run next season.

Detroit Red Wings Depth Chart - 2013-14
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
LWH ZetterbergJ. AbdelkaterT. TatarD. Cleary
CP. DatsyukD. HelmD. LegwandS. Weiss
RWJ. FranzenT. BertuzziD. AlfredssonT. Jurco
D #1N. KronwallB. SmithJ. Ericsson
D #2K. QuinceyJ. KindlD. DeKeyser
GJ. HowardJ. Gustofsson

letterhead.jpg

Entry: November 1st, 2013

I’m not entirely pleased with the way this team is performing right now. I personally don’t believe in the school of thought that you can give a team slack if it’s early in the season. Points count the same in October as they do come playoff time when you need a tie breaker or OTL to win home ice. I will give the guys some time to gel but we started the season 1-4 and were shut out twice!

The positives to take away at this point are that the team is being led by its stars; Datsyuk & Zetterberg are the scoring leaders and Franzen is playing like he’s three years younger at the moment. I’ll look for the youngsters to step up as the season wears on and old legs grow tired.

The other positive is that we’ve been healthy which hopefully continues. Babcock is working the line parings around to find the right combination and I trust his judgment implicitly. I know whether it be line parings or some other form of motivation that he’ll ge the best out of these guys. 

Detroit Red Wings October 2013-14 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Oct 2 vs Buffalo Sabres Lost, 3-2
Oct 4 at Carolina Hurricanes Won, 4-1
Oct 5 at Boston Bruins Lost, 2-1
Oct 9 vs Phoenix Coyoties Lost, 1-0
Oct 12 vs Philadelphia Flyers Lost, 2-0
Oct 14 at Boston Bruins Won, 3-2
Oct 15 vs Columbus Blue Jackets Won, 7-3
Oct 17 at Colorado Avalanche Lost, 3-2
Oct 19 at Phoenix Coyotes Lost, 6-3
Oct 21 vs San Jose Sharks Won, 6-3
Oct 23 vs Ottawa Senators Won, 5-3
Oct 26 vs New York Rangers Won, 5-3
Oct 30 at Vancuover Canucks Lost, 4-1

letterhead.jpg

Entry: December 1st, 2013

The squad finished November one win better than October at 8-7. The division is shaping up that we’re actually not going to have to be much better than that in order to qualify for a playoff spot but of course no one wants to leave our fate in the hands of other teams.

Despite only being one game above .500 Babcock tells me the locker room is in fine shape in that no one is panicking but at the same time no one is satisfied either. With the mix we have of seasoned veterans and young talent it’s important that a tone is set during rough times where guys are saying ‘We’ve got to step up, losing isn’t acceptable’.

That being said I’m heavily considering making a move. Our offensive output is not where it should be and defensively we’re unable to clear the zone all too often. I’m thinking about shopping around for a natural scorer. 

I am anxious for this team to start hitting it’s stride.

Red Wings November 2013 Results

Detroit Red Wings November 2013-14 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Nov 1 at Calgary Flames Won, 5-4
Nov 2 at Edmonton Oilers Won, 6-1
Nov 4 at Winnipeg Jets Lost, 5-4
Nov 7 vs Dallas Stars Lost, 3-1
Nov 9 vs Tampa Bay Lightning Lost, 4-1
Nov 12 vs Winnipeg Jets Lost, 8-4
Nov 15 vs Washington Capitals Won, 5-2
Nov 16 at New York Islanders Won, 4-3
Nov 19 vs Nashville Predators Won, 4-2
Nov 21 vs Carolina Hurricanes Won, 5-2
Nov 23 at Ottawa Senators Lost, 5-3
Nov 24 at Buffalo Sabres Won, 5-4
Nov 27 vs Boston Bruins Lost, 4-3
Nov 29 at New York Islanders Lost, 6-2

letterhead.jpg

Entry: December 2nd, 2013

The team is struggling, it’s just plain to see. The offense is pressing, the defense is lost at times trying to clear the zone and Jimmy Howard suddenly has the highest GAA of any starting net minder in the league. I feel like we need to shake up the roster or maybe bring up some fresh blood from Grand Rapids but I can’t be sure.

There is no doubt that there is a lack of scorers on the roster. Our scouts show Datsyuk and Zetterberg as play makers while in reality they’re our two best shooters. Nyquist is playing incredibly well for his age but I’m going to start looking for a sniper to bring into the top two lines, someone who is a natural scorer.

--

I got the staff working on potential trade opportunities with an eye for scoring talent. Half of us looked at our roster while the other half began looking around the league for someone to fill the hole.

Of course there isn’t much that we’re willing to part with, or at least anyone who will command a top six forward. The best option would be to trade away draft pick or an AHLer like Jurco or Sheahan but I don’t want to mortgage the franchise’s future for a possible short term fix that might not even work out.

Looking at trade partners, we’ve circled in on St. Louis and possibly going after Vladmir Taresenko. His skill set is exactly what we’re looking for and the scouts tell me he has a very high ceiling. Also the price is right. Now we just have to find someone the Blues want.  

letterhead.jpg

Entry: December 3rd, 2013

I haven’t yet spoken with Doug Armstrong (Blues GM) regarding Taresenko. They’re going to want a lot in order to give him up as they know better than anyone what a high ceiling that guys has.

Last night the staff and I came to a consensus that we would have to send Jimmy Howard over in order to get the Blues to move off Vlad. They need goaltending help plus with Howard’s skill up to this season and his long term deal we can probably get them to send over another net minder to take his place for us. 

I am concerned about the backlash of trading away a guy that everyone in and around the franchise loves. I think if Taresenko can hit the ground running the fan base and media pundits may change their tune in a hurry but if the deal doesn’t work out I’m sure I’ll be the butt of many jokes going forward.

If I had my preference I’d obviously keep Jimmy & add some sort of scoring power but frankly our premier net minder isn’t getting the job done at the moment. No matter anyone’s personal feelings in the end though this is a business, I spoke with Illich & Ken and they both told me they trusted my judgment. 

--

After a lot of back and forth I decided to pursue the deal. The rest of the staff says we should propose Howard and an agreed upon AHLer for Taresenko, Brian Elliot, and two draft picks. I think the deal will help the team both in the long and short term. Now I just have to hope Brian Elliot doesn’t turn out to be a sieve.

December 4 2013

Posted Image

Howard Delt to St. Louis
Posted Image

Detroit, MI-   In a shocking player for player trade on Tuesday the Red Wings sent longtime net minder Jimmy Howard to St. Louis in exchange for winger Vladmir Taresenko, goalie Brian Elliot, and a first round draft pick. 
Although regular season player for player trades are not uncommon in the NHL it is rare to see franchise players switching teams as happened Tuesday. 
With his team struggling to stay above the .500 mark at 16-14 and treading water in the middle of the Atlantic Division, interim general manager Rick Watkins decided it was time to shake up the roster. 

“We were looking for someone to strengthen our wing that could put the puck in the net as well.” Watkins said after the trade was made public. “We were able to find that in a younger player with high upside as well in Valdmir (Taresenko)… We knew we had to look at making the move.”
Howard has spent his entire career in Detroit since coming up through their farm system in Grand Rapids. The Detroit front office is excited for Taresenko’s upside as a young player but the reaction to trading away a fan favorite has not been positive. 
“Its never an easy decision when you’re looking to move a guy whose an all star that has been through your system but the upside outweighed the negatives.” Watkins said on the deal. 

“It’s tough to say goodbye to Jimmy but we wish him all the luck in the world.” Head Coach Mike Babcock said about the trade. “We’re comfortable with (Brian) Elliot handling the duties between the pipes primarily and are excited to see what Vlad can bring to the lineup.”

Taresenko and Elliot are expected to meet the Wings in New Jersey for Frinday night’s matchup with the Devils.

Full trade details below:

To St. Louis:
G Jimmy Howard
D Mike Fontenot

To Detroit:
RW Valdmir Taresenko
G Brian Elliot
STL 2014 1st round pick

Posted Image

letterhead.jpg

Entry:  January 1st, 2014

No time for partying when the season is on… December was a fine month for this club. The team went 9-4 including a six game winning streak which launched us to third in the conference. Vlad Taresenko took just a game to get settled on the first line and has been pouring the puck into the net since then. He scored a hat trick in just his third game with the franchise!

On the flip side Elliot has been solid if serviceable between the pipes. Not a flashy guy he just comes to work and gets the job done. Babs confirmed my suspicion that there was a little unrest in the locker room after the trade but a six game winning streak will brighten anyone’s mood.

The injury bug finally caught up with the squad as both Justin Abdelkader and Kyle Quincey went down with separated shoulders nearly back to back. We’ve got Tomas Tatar and Dan Cleary to step up a line in Abdelkader’s place and Drew Miller to step onto the left side 4th line. Defensively we’ll have  Brian Lashoff up from Grand Rapids to pair with Dekeyser. Everyone has been playing so fluidly together that making the needed adjustments didn’t seem to have a huge effect on the team’s on ice chemistry.

Though it’s only January the staff is beginning preparations for this off season. There may be a lot of turnover among our bottom six forwards with Bertuzzi, Legwand, and Cleary unrestricted, but that’s part of the business.

Detroit Red Wings December 2013-14 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Dec 1 at Ottawa Senators Won, 3-2
Dec 4 vs Philadelphia Flyers Lost, 4-3
Dec 6 at New Jersey Devils Won, 5-2
Dec 7 vs Florida Panthers Won, 4-3
Dec 10 at Florida Panthers Won, 5-2
Dec 12 at Tampa Bay Lightning Won, 6-4
Dec 14 vs Pittsburgh Penguins Won, 4-3
Dec 15 vs Tampa Bay Lightning Won, 5-4
Dec 17 vs Anaheim Ducks Lost, 5-3
Dec 19 vs Calgary Flames Won, 3-1
Dec 21 at Toronto Maple Leafs Lost, 6-4
Dec 23 vs New York Islanders Won, 2-1
Dec 28 at Florida Panthers Lost, 5-1
Dec 30 at Nashville Predators Won, 2-0

letterhead.jpg

Entry: February 1st, 2014

Beggars can’t be choosers I guess. January was another fantastic month; the team went 9-4 with a seven game wining streak stretching back to the end of December. It would have been nice to keep the winning going and end the month stop the conference but in a league with so much parity a month five games over .500 is a success.

I think we’re in a solid position for the playoffs but there’s a lot of hockey to be played of course. February includes the two week Olympic break before a total blitz through March of 14 games.

From the executive’s point of view I absolutely hate the Olympic break. It’s basically sending our best players out to play intense, playoff style hockey right before the push for the playoffs. Injury, fatigue, and losing team chemistry are all risks when these guys go over to Sochi.

That all being said it’s a fantastic spectacle from a fan’s perspective. I wish I could get over there to take in some of the games but it’ll be all hands on deck in the front office throughout those two weeks. Not to mention the Griffins still have four games in that span.

Below is a list of guys headed to Sochi….

-          Pavel Datsyuk (Russia)

-          Vlad Taresenko (Russia)

-          Henrik Zetterberg (Sweden)

-          Niklas Kronwall (Sweden)

-          Johan Franzen (Sweden)

-          Jonas Gustavsson (Sweden)

-          Jonathan Ericsson (Sweden)

-          Tomas Tatar (Slovakia)

-          Tomas Jurco (Slovakia)

Detroit Red Wings January 2013-14 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Jan 1 vs Toronto Maple Leafs Won, 1-0
Jan 4 at Dallas Stars Won, 3-0
Jan 9 at San Jose Sharks Won, 5-2
Jan 11 at LA Kings Won, 5-4
Jan 12 at Anaheim Ducks Won, 4-3
Jan 16 at New York Rangers Won, 3-2
Jan 18 vs LA Kings Lost, 3-2
Jan 20 vs St. Louis Blues Lost, 4-2
Jan 22 vs Chicago Blackhawks Won, 5-1
Jan 24 vs Montreal Canadiens Lost, 5-3
Jan 26 vs Florida Panthers Won, 2-1
Jan 28 at Philadelphia Flyers Won, 3-0
Jan 31 vs Washington Capitals Lost, 5-3

NHL 14. I'm a year or two behind every game release because I'm cheap. Also it takes time to have a long running franchise so I never want to dump something I've put time into just for a newer version of game. I've still got NHL 09 sitting around because I've got a Be a Pro in like his 10th season.

Anyway thanks for following along!

February 24, 2014

Free-Press.jpg

Ken Holland Officially Retires as Wings’ Top Exec

holland%20press.jpg

Detroit, MI--  Longtime Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland announced in an emotional press conference at Joe Lewis Arena on Friday that he is cancer free but would not be returning to that position as had been previously planned.

Holland announced in September that he would be temporarily stepping down as GM so he could focus on his health after recently being diagnosed with stage two toe cancer. On Friday he made his full retirement official when he confirmed suspicions that he would not be returning to the franchise.

“Since stepping back from my duties in the front office earlier this season I’ve realized how much time I’ve missed with my family over the years.” Holland stated. “Now with a clean bill of health I know I need to cherish the time I have with the people I love.” The former team executive stated that he would be happy to support and help out the organization if asked, just not as the General Manager.

“This is a sad day for me because I love the Red Wings, but also a very hopeful one. I’m excited to begin this next phase of my life.”

Rick Watkins has been serving as the head team executive since Holland’s announcement in September and has been given the title of Interim General Manager as of Friday. Team owner Mike Illich stated that Watkins’ performance would be reviewed in the off season as to whether he would stay on as GM or if they would consider bringing in a new face.

“We have full confidence in Rick but this is a top position on a top franchise. We want to be sure that we’re moving forward with the right hire. At the moment Rick is the leading candidate.”

letterhead.jpg

Entry: March 1st, 2014

Ken Holland formally retired the other day. I guess its not surprising as there had been rumors that he would do just that since September but I’ve tried to ignore them and keep my head in my work. Everyone in the front office has been very professional by just doing their work day in and day out and not constantly speculating as to whether the owner would make a change in staff. Regardless, with the somewhat sudden changes there is an air of uncertainty that’s undeniable.

I like to believe I’m secure in my job, as are the staff around me. Ken did an amazing job of building a fantastic team on and off the ice so the pressure continues to produce winning teams. If I’m lucky enough to secure the full time General Manager position I don’t think I’ll be making any changes to the people around me that’s for sure.

February was a tough month for the team though fortunately a short one as they went 2-4 including a 7-1 beat down at the hands of the Senators to close out the month. We’re still in solid shape for the playoffs at 35-22 but there are still 25 games to go in the season so really anything could happen. With the Olympics now behind us I’m hoping Babcock can find some games in the schedule to give our older players some nights off.

Over the break the staff and I looked closely at our roster to see if any deadline moves needed to be made to secure a deep run into the finals. Half the front office team is urging us to make a move to punch up our blue line while the other half is saying we ought to stand pat. I’m reticent to make any moves as the prospects we have are so promising and I think this team will be a true cup contender next season. If the phone rings with an interesting deal though we’ll have to consider it of course. 

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this