nyy #23

The Road to the Hall of Fame [OOTP]

Hi everyone.  After just starting to repost one of my dynasties here I've had a change of heart.  After going back and reposting several posts I feel like I'm doing double work.  Maybe if I started fresh it would work better, or maybe it's just what I'm used to.  I just know for me that if I keep doing that I'm going to abandon it here eventually.  So hopefully this will work out a little better for me, and I'll be doing this dynasty exclusively here. 

I've had pretty good success in the past with a narrow focus for a dynasty.  About six years ago I did one of my first dynasties on the OOTP boards, maybe even my first, called The Home Run.

I focused exclusively on the home run, was able to move through history pretty quickly, not get bogged down by anything else, and I had a lot of fun doing it.  With OOTP 16 one of my favorite new features is the Hall of Fame voting, although it takes a long time to see how the voting plays out.  Usually at least. 

So what I'm going to do is focus exclusively on the Hall of Fame, the voting, the players elected, and the players on the ballot, and hopefully have fun doing it. 

A few ground rules -

1. I won't be taking control of any team
  2. I'll be moving forward one year at a time
  3. I won't be talking about any player until they retire
  4. I will be using OOTP's engine instead of recalc
  5. I'll be beginning in 1871 when simming through history, but 1886 will be the first year for the Hall of Fame

If you have any questions please let me know, and hopefully this will be a fun journey.  

January 1, 1886

photo HallofFame.jpg

Major League Baseball announced that they will break ground this summer in Cooperstown, New York for a museum to honor baseball greats. An election will be held each January, and any playing submitted on more than 75% of the ballots will forever be enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame. A player will be eligible on a ballot for 10 years, and if a player fails to achieve election they will be ineligible. If during any year less than 5% of voters select a player they will fall off the ballot. A player must be retired for five seasons to appear on the ballot, and have played ten seasons in the majors. A look at the fine print:  photo HallofFameSettings.png

In just four days votes to the first ever Hall of Fame ballot will be revealed, and the fate of two players will be decided.

1886 Hall of Fame Results

Congratulations to the first player on the Hall of Fame ballot to receive enough votes to appear on the ballot next year - outfielder Ed Pinkham

Posted Image

Hopefully you weren't expecting miracles, because I think it will take a few years before someone who is electable appears.  You have to start somewhere though.

1886 Hall of Fame Results:

RF Ed Pinkham 16.4 (1st year)
1B Wes Fisler 1.9 (1st year) Dropped

1887 Hall of Fame Ballot

Former Brooklyn Atlantic right fielder Ed Pinkham appeared on the ballot for the second time, and saw his support cut in half this year, going from 16.4 % of the vote to 8.2% of the vote. 

Random facts
Ed Pinkham scored four or more runs three times in his career, all during the 1873 season. 

1887 Hall of Fame Voting Results:

RF Ed Pinkham 8.2 (2nd year)

1888 Hall of Fame Ballot

Ed Pinkham's support dropped for the second straight year with just 6.9% of the votes barely keeping him on the ballot. 

(I swear this will get more exciting soon.  Next year should be more interesting.)

1888 Hall of Fame Voting Results:

RF Ed Pinkham 6.9 (3rd year)

1889 Hall of Fame Preview

Five players will be appearing on the 1889 Hall of Fame ballot, four players for the first time.  Let's take a preview of the players who will be on the ballot:

SP - Cherokee Fisher - spent 13 seasons with the Philadelphia Athletics while compiling a 205-205 record with a 3.01 ERA.  His ERA+ throughout his career was exactly league average and with 414 strikeouts in 3586 innings, and a WHIP of 1.36 ERA Fisher doesn't look like a strong candidate.  Fisher was elected to nine All-Star teams, won two 'Cy Young' Awards, and was a member of three championship teams, although Fisher pitched in just 5 innings during his third and final championship season.  His career WAR was 43.4 and his JAWS score was 52.1

LF - Steve King - a 12 year veteran that hit .264 for his career.  His -3.4 WAR and -0.8 JAWS should send King to an early ballot exit

RF - Ed Pinkham - his vote totals are trending down (16.4, 8.2, 6.9) and Pinkham should fall off the ballot soon

SP/MR - Joe McDermott - in his only year as a starting pitcher McDermott was 9-21 with a 5.39 ERA.  He was better pitching out of the bullpen, but should be off the ballot after one year

2B - Lip Pike - a career .307 hitter who won two MVP Awards during his prime, and was named an All-Star in 9 of his 12 seasons.  Pike added five Silver Slugger awards, but with 15.2 WAR and a JAWS score of 15.7 he didn't do enough, in my opinion.  

Results will be announced tomorrow.

1889 Hall of Fame Results

photo HOF Cherokee Fisher.png

Cherokee Fisher became the first player elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame today.  Fisher's best season came in 1877 when he went 29-18 with a 2.67 ERA on his way to a  Pitcher of the Year Award.  Fisher began his career with the Philadelphia Athletics in 1871 at the age of 26 and retired at the age of 38 following a season where he went 10-5 with a 2.74 ERA. 

Finishing in second place on the ballot was second baseman Lip Pike.  I'm a little surprised about his high vote total, but it will be interesting to see what his second year on the ballot brings. 

Joe McDermott officially fell off the ballot, while Steve King and Ed Pinkham will be back for at least one more year. 

1888 Hall of Fame Voting Results:

SP Cherokee Fisher 85.9 (1st year) Inducted HOF

2B Lip Pike 60.0 (1st year)

LF Steve King 7.3 (1st year)

RF Ed Pinkham 5.9 (4th year)

RP Joe McDermott 4.4 (1st year) Dropped

1890 Hall of Fame Preview

photo HOF 1890 Ballot.png

For the second straight year five players will be appearing on the ballot for the first time.  Dick McBride leads all pitchers on the ballot, with George Wright leading the new hitters.  My prediction is no players will be elected, but results will be announced tomorrow. 

JAWS Score

Candy Cummings: 6.1

Frank Fleet: 2.5

John Hatfield: 13.9

Steve King: -0.8

Dick McBride: 44.6

Lip Pike: 15.7

Ed Pinkham: 3.5

George Wright: 14.7

1890 Hall of Fame Results

The 1890 Hall of Fame election saw four players fall off the ballot, the highest number to date.  We'll say goodbye to Ed Pinkham who appeared on the ballot five times, along with Steve King in his second year.  Both John Hatfield and Candy Cummings failed to gain much support and fell off the ballot their first year of eligibility.

9 time All-Star Lip Pike led all players appearing on 62% of the ballots.  His support increased 2% this year, but that last 13% will be hard to get, which I think is deservedly so.  I'm not on the Lip Pike Hall of Fame bandwagon, in fact I'm anti-Pike, at least when it comes to the Hall of Fame.  Dick McBride finished in second place with 60.4% of the vote, with George Wright finishing in third place with 25.3% of the vote, and Frank Fleet finishing with 12.2% of the vote.

1890 Hall of Fame Voting Results:

2B Lip Pike 62.0 (2nd year)

SP Dick McBride 60.4 (1st year)

SS George Wright 25.3 (1st year)

RP Frank Fleet 12.2 (1st year)

2B John Hatfield 4.5 (1st year) Dropped

RP Candy Cummings 3.7 (1st year) Dropped

RF Ed Pinkham 3.3 (5th year) Dropped

LF Steve King 2.4 (2nd year) Dropped

It's taken a little while to get to a place in time where the Hall of Fame ballot is starting to have a fair number of names on the ballot.  The 1891 ballot will feature the first player I would vote for, and will, because starting last year I cast one vote.  I would also like to get in to a routine where I post the ballot one day, then the next day I will post the results, and the next year's ballot.  That's the plan, and I know life will get in the way occasionally, I've already got a couple small trips planned, but I'll do my best to stick to a regular schedule.  

So in an effort to increase interactivity, or at least offer interactivity I would like to offer you the opportunity to vote for up to 10 players.  Just respond with your votes, and they will go towards that players vote total.  I'll leave the ballot up about a day, so if you want to support a player you've got until say 6 pm the next day.  I'll check for any votes before I move forward, and I usually start after 6, but that's the earliest time.  

1891 Hall of Fame Ballot

photo 1891 Hall of Fame Ballot.png

The 1891 ballot is the largest ballot to date, with 15 players appearing on the ballot, including four players for the first time.  This year's ballot has a little bit of everything, two former Rookie of the Year Award winners, two former Pitcher of the Year winners, and two former MVP's. 

I originally said that this ballot contained the first player I would have voted for, but upon further review I'm having second thoughts because I misread something.  The talent on the ballot is definitely going in the right direction though.

JAWS Score

John Bass: 11.8

George Bechtel: 6.9

Dave Eggler: 7.4

Frank Fleet: 2.5

Martin Malone: 10.2

John McMullin: 9.0

Cal McVey: 21.6

John Radcliff: 20.0

Count Sensenderfer: 5.7

Fred Treacey: 3.8

Deacon White: 12.3

George Zetttlein: 63.7

1891 Hall of Fame Results

A pair of players received enough votes to gain enshrinement into the Baseball Hall of Fame, the second and third player to receive that honor.

photo HOF 1891 George Zettlein.png

George Zettlein was the leading vote getter, appearing on 95.4% of the ballots.  There are a lot of good reasons to elect Zettlein to the Hall of Fame, 278 career wins, two Pitcher of the Year Awards, four Gold Gloves, 12 All-Star appearances, and three Silver Slugger Awards.  Zettlein also had a lot of losses (308).  Despite being on a bad team Zeitlein was one of the better pitchers in the league.

photo HOF 1891 Cal McVey.png

Cal McVey became the first position player, and catcher elected to the Hall of Fame after appearing on 75.5% of the ballots, just over the threshold required for entry.  McVey hit .294 during his career, in 952 games behind the plate.  McVey won four Gold Glove awards, was selected to 12 All-Star teams, won three Silver Slugger Awards, and was the MVP in the 1878 World Series, winning his only World Series.

After finishing in second place with 60.4% of the vote last year Dick McBride saw his totals increase to 72.2 and jump to third in the results over Lip Pike, who in his third year on the ballot saw his vote percentage increase from 62 to 66.5. 

Catcher Deacon White appeared on 58.4% of ballots.  White hit .290 for his career and won three Gold Gloves, was selected to 10 All-Star games, won four Silver Slugger Awards, and won three World Championships.  With McVey off the ballot, and White having pretty close numbers it'll be interesting to see whether his numbers jump next year. 

No other first year player had higher than 25.3% of the vote.  George Wright saw his numbers fall from 25.3 to 22.4, with Frank Fleet seeing his numbers fall from 12.2 to 4.6 to drop off the ballot, joining Dave Eggler and Count Sensenderfer as players that officially fall off the ballot.

1891 Hall of Fame Voting Results:

SP George Zettlein 95.4 (1st year) Inducted HOF

C Cal McVey 76.5 (1st year) Inducted HOF

SP Dick McBride 72.2 (2nd year)

2B Lip Pike 66.5 (3rd year)

C Deacon White 58.4 (1st year)

CF Fred Treacey 25.3 (1st year)

SS George Wright 22.4 (2nd year)

SP John McMullin 22.4 (1st year)

RF John Bass 21.0 (1st year)

SP Martin Malone 17.4 (1st year)

SS John Radcliff 14.9 (1st year)

RF George Bechtel 10.3 (1st year)

RP Frank Fleet 4.6 (2nd year) Dropped

CF Dave Eggler 3.2 (1st year) Dropped

CF Count Sensenderfer 2.8 (1st year) Dropped

1892 Hall of Fame Ballot

photo HOF 1892 Ballot.png

photo HOF 1892 Ballot Part 2.png

Six players will be appearing on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time this year with three players returning who received over 50% of the vote last year, Dick McBride (72.2), Lip Pike (66.5), and Deacon White (58.4).

The newcomers on the ballot are led by 300 game winner Al Pratt who won the Pitcher of the Year Award in 1874 (32-20, 2.49), 1875 (30-24, 2.25), 1876 (28-25, 2.60), and 1879 (25-17, 1.93).  Pratt should be a first ballot Hall of Famer with a Black Ink of 103, Gray Ink of 374, HOF Standards of 69, and HOF Monitor of 452. 

250 game winner Jim Britt is also appearing on the ballot for the first time.  Britt will present an interesting choice with a Black Ink of 54, Gray Ink of 299, HOF Standard of 57, and HOF Monitor of 347.  Each one of those numbers is higher than current Hall of Famer Cherokee Fisher. 

Also appearing on the ballot for the first time is 11 time All-Star catcher Fred Waterman, former Reliever of the Year Dan Collins, 1B Jim Foran, and SS Check Fulmer. 

JAWS Score

George Bechtel: 6.9

Jim Britt: 45.3

Dan Collins: 7.2

Jim Foran: 7.0

Chick Fulmer: 18.9

Martin Malone: 10.2

Al Pratt: 80.9

John Radcliff: 20.0

Frank Sellman: 6.1

Fred Waterman: 18.6

-------

As a reminder, if you'd like to cast your Hall of Fame ballot just reply by 6pm tomorrow and it will be manually submitted and factored into the OOTP voting.  

1892 Hall of Fame Results

For the second straight year two players were elected to the Hall of Fame, with two players less than one percent away from enshrinement.  Give players were dropped from the ballot this year for failing to get 5% of the vote. 

photo HOF Al Pratt.png

Al Pratt set a record for highest percentage of votes when he appeared on 96.1% of the ballots.  There was no doubt in my mind that Pratt was a Hall of Famer and should have been elected after winning 326 games, posting a career WAR of 76.9, and winning four Pitcher of the Year Awards. 

photo HOF Fred Waterman.png

Catcher Fred Waterman was the second player elected to the Hall of Fame this year, and also the second catcher to gain election into the Hall of Fame after receiving 82.5% of the vote.  Maybe his popularity played a part, but looking at the comparison between Waterman and Deacon White:

Waterman: .290/.315/.341, 426 RBI, 645 R, 154 SB, 2 Gold Gloves, 11 time All-Star, 1 Silver Slugger

White: .290/.317/.352, 494 RBI, 598 R, 44 SB, 3 Gold Gloves, 10 time All-Star, 4 Silver Slugger

It's certainly hard to say Waterman is that much better than White, if at all.  White did finish third in voting with 74.7% of the vote, jumping from 58.4% of the vote.

Another near miss was Dick McBride who's vote totals continue to increase.  He appeared on 74.2% of the ballots in his third year, jumping from 60.4 to 72.2 in his second year. 

SP Jim Britt received 68.1% of the vote his first time on the ballot.  Britt was 250-214 in his career with a 2.74 ERA.  Lip Pike saw his support drop in his fourth year to 47.6% after appearing on 66.5% of the ballots last year.

SS John Radcliff, RF George Bechtel, SP Martin Malone, 1B Jim Foran, and SS Frank Sellman all failed to appear on 5% of the ballots and have been dropped off. 

1892 Hall of Fame Voting Results:

SP Al Pratt 96.1 (1st year) Inducted HOF

C Fred Waterman 82.5 (1st year) Inducted HOF

C Deacon White 74.7 (2nd year)

SP Dick McBride 74.2 (3rd year)

SP Jim Britt 68.1 (1st year)

2B Lip Pike 47.6 (4th year)

SS Chick Fulmer 17.9 (1st year)

CF Fred Treacey 12.7 (2nd year)

SS George Wright 11.4 (3rd year)

RF John Bass 8.7 (2nd year)

RP Dan Collins 5.2 (1st year)

SP John McMullin 5.2 (2nd year)

SS John Radcliff 4.4 (2nd year) Dropped

RF George Bechtel 3.9 (2nd year) Dropped

SP Martin Malone 3.5 (2nd year) Dropped

1B Jim Foran 1.7 (1st year) Dropped

SS Frank Sellman 0.9 (1st year) Dropped

1893 Hall of Fame Ballot

photo HOF 1893 Ballot.png

The 1893 ballot features fifteen players, including five players appearing on the ballot for the first time.  Deacon White (74.8%), Dick McBride (74.2%), and Jim Britt (68.1%) lead the returning players. 

Former MVP and Rookie of the Year Ezra Sutton leads the newcomers.  Sutton was a .260 career hitter who won 5 Gold Gloves at 3B and was elected to 11 All-Star teams. 

RF Dick Higham was also selected for 11 All-Star teams and will be appearing on the ballot for the first time along with CF Tommy Beals, C Mike McGeary, and LF Tom York.  

JAWS Score

Tommy Beals: 9.7

Jim Britt: 45.3

Dan Collins: 7.2

Dick Higham: 5.5

Mike McGeary: 7.8

Ezra Sutton: 25.1

Tom York: 12.1

1893 Hall of Fame Results

The 1893 Hall of Fame class is the largest to date, with three players elected to the Hall of Fame.  All of the newly elected members of the Hall of Fame appeared on the ballot last year, with one player gaining entry his third time on the ballot, and one player his fourth time on the ballot. 

photo HOF 1893 Deacon White.png

Deacon White was selected to the Hall of Fame in his fourth year on the ballot with 80.4% of the vote.  I've stated the case for White previously, at least in relation to the two catchers already in the Hall of Fame.  If Fred Waterman and Cal McVey are in the Hall, I think White belongs.  Out of the now 8 members who have been elected to the Hall of Fame three are catchers. 

photo HOF 1893 Dick McBride.png

Dick McBride had the highest vote percentage this year with 88.4% and will be going to the Hall of Fame on his fourth ballot, seeing his totals increase from 60.4% to 72.2% to 74.4% to this year's total.  To be honest, I'm not too impressed by McBride (151-168, 3.05 ERA, 28.2 WAR).  His metrics are lower than average - 38.3 JAWS, 31 Black Ink, 256 Gray Ink, 47 HOF Standards, 206 HOF Monitor. 

I'm fully on board with the theory that pitcher wins don't mean much, but a losing record is a bit much.  His one Pitcher of the Year Award and 5 All-Star appearances seem low for a Hall of Famer.  For every part of me that wants to take him out of the Hall, part of me is glad he made it to the Hall, because Hall of Fame voters do stupid things.  It sounds crazy, but replicating some of those things where you don't always agree with them is kind of neat. 

photo HOF Jim Britt.png

With 84.4% of the vote Jim Britt became the third player elected this season on his second year on the ballot, increasing from 68.1% of the vote.  Doing a quick comparison (250-214, 2.74, 22.9 WAR), 42.5 JAWS, 54 Black Ink, 299 Gray Ink, 57 HOF Stand, 247 HOF Monitor it's hard not to say he's a better pitcher than McBride.  They'll be inducted together though. 

That leaves two players with over 50% of the vote.  3B Ezra Sutton who received 61.6% support in his first year on the ballot, and 2B Lip Pike who was at 58% in his fifth year. 

Three players failed to receive 5% of the vote and were dropped off the ballot, RF Dan Collins, CF Tommy Beals, and SP John McMullin.

1893 Hall of Fame Voting Results:

SP Dick McBride 88.4 (4th year) Inducted HOF

SP Jim Britt 84.4 (2nd year) Inducted HOF

C Deacon White 80.4 (3rd year) Inducted HOF

3B Ezra Sutton 61.6 (1st year)

2B Lip Pike 58.0 (5th year)

RF Dick Higham 17.9 (1st year)

LF Tom York 13.8 (1st year)

C Mike McGeary 12.9 (1st year)

SS Chick Fulmer 11.2 (2nd year)

SS George Wright 9.4 (4th year)

CF Fred Treacey 8.5 (3rd year)

RF John Bass 5.4 (3rd year)

RP Dan Collins 2.2 (2nd year) Dropped

CF Tommy Beals 2.2 (1st year) Dropped

SP John McMullin 1.8 (3rd year) Dropped

I'm not sure why it doesn't default to Gold Glove, but Gold Glove and Silver Slugger are the two awards that you have to edit the name.  I would guess because they are sponsored by Rawlings and Louisville Slugger (I believe).  I've gone in and edited them, so they should be correct going forward though.  

1894 Hall of Fame Ballot

photo HOF 1894 Ballot.png

If I was going to describe the 1894 Hall of Fame Ballot I'd call it uninspiring.  I shouldn't let me feelings cloud the ballot, but 3B Ezra Sutton returns after receiving 61.6% of the vote.  A career .260 hitter Sutton drove in 642 runs in his career and scored 821. 

SS Tom Barlow, SP Joe Borden, SP George Bradley, C John Clapp, SS Davy Force, and 3B Andy Leonard appear on the ballot for the first time. 

JAWS Score

Tom Barlow: 15.1

Joe Borden: 13.2

George Bradley: 32.6

John Clapp: 8.5

Davy Force: 13.6

Andy Leonard: 8.6

Ezra Sutton: 25.1

Tom York: 12.1

1894 Hall of Fame Results

For the first time in four years no player was elected to the Hall of Fame.  Ezra Sutton was the high vote getter with 67% of the vote, seeing his total increase from 61.6% last year.  The 11 time All-Star was a .260 career hitter has eight more years on the ballot to try and sway the remaining 13.4%  of the vote.

Lip Pike knows the frustration of waiting for results, only to come up short.  Pike appeared on 59.3% of ballots in his sixth year on the ballot. 

Both RF John Bass and CF Fred Treacey fell off the ballot this year, each in the fourth year on the ballot.  Also dropping from the ballot was SS Davy Force who failed to get 5% of the vote on his first year on the ballot. 

1894 Hall of Fame Voting Results:

3B Ezra Sutton 67.0 (2nd year)

2B Lip Pike 59.3 (6th year)

SP George Bradley 34.0 (1st year)

C John Clapp 13.3 (1st year)

SS George Wright 12.3 (5th year)

SS Tom Barlow 10.9 (1st year)

3B Andy Leonard 10.5 (1st year)

SS Chick Fulmer 10.2 (3rd year)

SP Joe Borden 9.5 (1st year)

RF Dick Higham 9.5 (2nd year)

C Mike McGeary 7.0 (2nd year)

LF Tom York 5.3 (2nd year)

RF John Bass 4.9 (4th year) Dropped

CF Fred Treacey 4.6 (4th year) Dropped

SS Davy Force 3.2 (1st year) Dropped

1895 Hall of Fame Ballot

photo HOF 1895 Ballot.png

Catcher Jim O'Rourke played his entire career for the Philadelphia Athletics and leads all newcomers on the ballot.  O'Rourke has a full trophy case, winning the 1877 MVP Award, 1872 Rookie of the Year, three Gold Gloves, 9 Silver Slugger Awards, one World Series MVP, while going to 14 All-Star games and winning four World Series.  O'Rourke was a career .296 hitter with 678 RBI and 916 runs scored.  With three catchers already in the Hall of Fame let's take a look at how O'Rourke compares:

McVey: .294 AVG, 505 RBI, 715 R, 25 WAR, 49 HOF Standards, 231 HOF Monitor

Waterman: .290 AVG, 426 RBI, 645 R, 20.3 WAR, 39 HOF Standards, 195 HOF Monitor

White: .290 AVG, 494 RBI, 598 R, 12.6 WAR, 41 HOF Standards, 177 HOF Monitor

O'Rourke: .296 AVG, 678 RBI, 916 R, 39.9 WAR, 53 HOF Standards, 340 HOF Monitor

Five time All-Star Centerfielder Holly Hollingshead and 7 time All-Star 2B Jack Manning also are appearing on the ballot for the first time. 

JAWS Score

Tom Barlow: 15.1

Joe Borden: 13.2

George Bradley: 32.6

John Clapp: 8.5

Holly Hollingshead: 10.3

Andy Leonard: 8.6

Jack Manning: 14.6

Jim O'Rourke: 31.4