A. J. Foyt wins his 4th and final Indy 500

June 1977

SCOTUS bans automatic death penalty laws

1st Apple II computers shipped

James Earl Ray escapes from prison, recaptured

Seattle Slew wins Triple Crown

Elvis Presley’s last performance

June 26

“Rick Burns. We’re back from the break. We’ve learned that UML is looking at 20 recruits to fill their open scholarships.”

July 1977

Vietnam becomes member of UN

John Lennon gets Green Card

August 1977

Radio Shack TRS-80 debuts

Department of Energy established

Segregationist Ian Smith wins election in Rhodesia overwhelmingly

August 21

“Rick Burns with the coach on the line. How’s recruiting going, Coach?”

We’re looking at 15 right now but we haven’t offered yet. We hope to make some offers during the first week in September.”

“Talk to you then!”

September 1977

Last execution by guillotine in France

1st U. S. diesel automobile

September 18

“Rick Burns on ‘Sportstalk’ and we have the coach on the phone. Coach, recruiting?”

“No one landed yet but we’re close.”

“Schedule?”

We’re finally invited to a tourney. We’re in the WS Midwest. The schedule is horrible. We don’t play at home until December 13. Because of that we didn’t schedule many heavyweights."

October 1977

Pele retires

Indira Gandhi arrested

Four members of Lynyrd Skynyrd killed in plane crash

Last recorded natural case of smallpox… so far

October 2

“We’re back. Coach Clark, how’s recruiting coming?”

We’ve signed 2, still chasing a couple, and we feel we’re close.”

“How was the first day of practice?”

“6 veterans back, most of whom started or played a lot, a really good looking transfer from GA Tech, SG Ron Vale, and an SF from Temple, Art Walk.”

November 1977

Carter raises minimum wage from $2.30 to $3.35

Sadat visits Israel

1st three nodes of ARPAnet are connected

November 6

“We’re back and we have the coach on the line. Coach, recruiting finished?”

“Almost. We have 2 bigs, 2 guards, and we’re close on the last open slot.”

“Do we have a lineup?”

“Pretty much. Clif Skip and Shay Gann will start at the guard spots again, and Zel Knox in the middle. The minutes at 3, 4 and those Zel doesn’t get at 5 will be split about evenly to start among Key Davis, Den Debro, and transfer Art Walk. Geoff Hahn and Ron Vale will be our subs at guard. We have 8 guys I’m very comfortable having in there in tight spots.”

“Sounds good. We’ll start the Sunday wrap in two weeks.”

November 20

“Rick Burns here with the Sunday night UML hoops wrap up. We tried to get Coach on the phone but no luck. 64-51 at Northern Iowa to start. Our guards lit it up. 23, 3, 4, 2, 1 for Shay Gann, and 22, 3, 3, 2 for Clif Skip. Our big guys didn’t do much, but then I suppose they didn’t need to.

“Then we won at Wichita ST 59-45. 18, 8, 2, 2 for Zel Knox, 17,6 for Den Debro, 40 RBs. So the big guys carried us in this one.

“The WS Midwest is coming up this week. We’re seeded #8 and we play #25 Utah, 1-1, to start. Oh, we’re #23 as of today!”

November 27

“Rick Burns here with the Sunday night wrap. A 4 game week, which is way too many, and we went 2-2. 75-66 over Utah in the 1st round of the WS Midwest. 5 guys in double figures. 12, 8, 8 for SG Shay Gann. 

69-39 over Xavier in the semifinal round. 5 in double figures again but not the same 5, a couple of different guys this time. 

“We lost to Bradley in the final, 55-69. We got off to a very slow start and never got into a flow. 14, 10 for Zel.

“Then we got in a plane, flew all night to Oregon, and unsurprisingly lost that same night to Oregon ST, 64-66. We ran out of gas and they outscored us 15-9 at the end. 20, 7 for Zel, 18, 4, 3 for Shay. But 21 TOs which was at least partly due to fatigue.

“And we’re on the road for two more weeks. This week at Oklahoma and a return match at Bradley.”

December 1977

Begin and Sadat meet in Egypt

Ted Bundy escapes from jail

December 4

“Rick Burns. Time for the wrap up. The road is killing us. Oklahoma beat us 59-70. Again we got off to a slow start and never quite got into it. Too many TOs, 17. 

“Then Bradley beat us for the 2nd time this season, 63-75. We were in this one for a long time but we ran out of gas again. 23, 5 for Den Debro, but 21 TOs. This is the first time in his career that Coach Clark has lost 4 in a row, and there are two more road games still to go!

“We’re at SMU and Seton Hall this week before finally coming home for 4 in a row.”

December 11

“Rick Burns. An incredible week. The streak snapped when we beat SMU by 1, 63-62. 17, 7, 3, for Zel, 14, 6, 3, 5, 5 for Den- an amazing game. 15 for Shay. 9 TOs.

“Then we went to Seton Hall and lost by 1, 64-65. Two one point games in a row. 19, 5, 6 for Shay, 12, 7, 4, 2, 1 for Zel, but 19 TOs. Turnovers have really plagued us this year.

“We come home 5-5. It is simply insane to have this many road games in a row.

“One game week, UMass. Actually, three one game weeks in a row coming up, so we’re home until January, thankfully!”

December 18

“Rick Burns on the Sunday wrap up, FINALLY with the Coach! Coach, 56-38 over UMass, and it’s nice to be home.”

“It most certainly is! Having a few days between games helped too. Practices were not very physical because I knew how tired my guys were. With one game a week for three weeks they’ll be as good as new in no time.”

“Tell us about the game.”

“Sure. It was back and forth for 10 minutes or so and then we went on a run and it was bye bye. 16, 7 for Zel, 13, 7 for Den who has played well all the way through, 11, 4, 2, 2 for Skip at PG. 11 TOs, 34 RBs. A good night.”

“This week?”

“It’s Dayton. Like UMass they’re in C, so no slouches.”

“Haven’t done this all season so let’s take some calls. Joey in Shrewsbury.”

“Coach, I been waitin’ for months for this. At the end of April you wanted a facilities upgrade. You didn’t get it. Do you think that happened because your wife’s the President of the college and they didn’t want it to look like they were showin’ you favoritism? In other words, does it hurt you to have your wife in that position?”

“… Wow! … Grace and I talked about that sort of thing when she applied for the job. She said then, and she has held to it 100%, that she would not interfere in the UML men’s basketball program in any way. Any disputes would be arbitrated by the Provost, and she would support whatever decision the Provost made. It simply has to be that way.”

“Well that was an explosion of a question! Louie in Braintree.”

“Eh, if the chips are down it won’t hurt havin’ her in the big chair. Anyways, Art Walk’s doin’ a real good job but his minutes don’t seem to increase.”

“He’s in a tough spot. We love what he’s doing for us but we have 4 very good big men. Den Debro has been on fire so Art and Key share the remaining minutes. They both deserve to play more than they’re playing. Believe me, we’re keeping an eye on that situation.”

“Jenny in Swampscot.”

“Coach, what do you think of the new women’s basketball program at UML?”

“I’m a huge fan. They’re only in their 2nd year and Coach Montville has them playing great ball. I catch their games whenever I can and Coach Montville and I get to each other’s practices when we can. She absolutely knows the game and she’s made some great suggestions, and she likes to have my input as well. I think there’s a bright future for women’s hoops and I support it 100%.”

“Cool! We’re out of time. I’m here on my own next Sunday.”

December 25

“It’s time for the Sunday wrap up. 69-55 over Dayton. 20 and 7 for Zell before fouling out, but he handcuffed the other Center who also fouled out. 21, 7 for Den who continues to be a HORSE! 41 RBs- for the team, not for Den!

“One more one game week, and one more pre-conf. game. It’s Temple from Conf. F. They’re playing really well at 8-2.”

January 1978

Harvey Milk becomes 1st openly gay person elected to public office in California

1st U. S. women astronauts selected

3 year old Hartford Civic Center roof collapses

“Saturday Night Fever” goes #1

Sweden is 1st nation to ban aerosol sprays

January 1

“Happy new year from ‘Sportstalk!’ 74-50 over Temple. We jumped out of the gate and scored 43 in the 1st half. 20 and 5 for Zel, 12, 4 for Key, 11, 3, 3, 2 for Clif, and great work by the bench. 7 TOs.

“We wind up pre-conf. play 8-5. Considering ten of those were on the road that’s pretty darn good!

“This week it’s Santa Clara here, and Akron on the road.”

January 8

“Rick Burns with the Sunday night wrap up. 74-51 over Santa Clara. 18, 7, 2, 6, 2 for Zel. Starting PG Clif Skip had 11, 1, 8, 5, 2 but he twisted his back and has spasms. He’s out 10 days to 2 weeks.

“Then we went to Akron and lost 57-67. Shay had 15, 5, 4 playing mostly Point, and we had 12 TOs (+9), but we didn’t rebound (-13), we shot poorly, and we didn’t stop the three.

“It’s a bit early to say so but this may be the year we hit the place where can no longer compete. Too early to know for sure though.

“This week, and Clif Skip will miss both games, we host 6-7, 1-1 Vermont, then travel to 8-5, 2-0 New Mexico ST.”

January 15

“’Sportstalk’ and I’m Rick Burns. We have the coach and the lines are open. Coach, a 2-0 week without Clif Skip.”

“Yes, but we’re happy to have him back. He’ll start our next game.”

“Tell us about the week.”

“We beat Vermont here. 66-49. 17, 7, 3, 4, 1 for Zel, 14, 5, 2 for Art Walk who did a great job filling in. As a matter of fact we’re going to start him at SF for now. 11, 6 for Key Davis. 12 TOs and +6 on the boards.

“Then we traveled to New Mexico ST figuring it would be a real challenge. It was, but led most of the way and won 61-54. 19 and 8 for Den, 12, 4 for Art, and good D. Zel only played 15 due to fouls, but our bench really gave us a lot. WE were +14 on the boards without much from Zel.

“We’re in a 4 way tie for 2nd, 1 back of Columbia, but it’s early.”

“This week?”

“We host 6-9, 2-2 Kent ST, then we travel to 8-7, 3-1 Air Force.”

“Rob in Danvers.”

“Coach, a lot of up and down this year.”

“We could be more consistent but we’ve played an enormous number of road games, we’ve had some injuries, and we’re still tweaking the lineup. Not making excuses but that sort of explains things. We feel we have a set lineup now so if we can stay healthy we’re hoping to get consistent.”

"Milt in Milton."

“Coach, you need one more good guard.”

“If we tweak again it will be to give Art Walk more time at SG. We’re toying with the idea. It would give Key back some of his minutes and would mean we’re using a big lineup. We’ll see what happens over the next couple of games.”

“Time’s up.”

January 22

“Rick Burns with Coach Clark. Coach, another 2-0 week, tied for 1st place with Columbia. You guys seem to be hitting your stride.”

“We played really well this week. We started here and beat Kent ST 75-45. All 5 starters in double figures, only 6 TOs for an amazing +19, +12 on the boards.

“Then we went to Air Force and played a terrific road game, 86-61. 29, 3, 2 for Shay, 27, 4, 2, 2 for Zel. 10 TOs for +12, and +4 on the boards.”

“So what accounts for the turn around?”

“We feel that we we have a good lineup in there right now, and a strong bench is helping. It’s nice to balance that; I always like having one or two on the bench who can give a spark, and Key Davis does that for us. So does Ron Vale.”

“And this week?”

“We have 2 at home. San Jose ST is 7-10, 2-4, and then it’s Columbia, 13-4, 5-1. They’re tough, so that one will tell us a lot. I’m glad it’s at home.”

“Talk to you next week.”

January 29

“The Coach is on the phone. Another great week and we’re alone in 1st with Eastern KY 1 back and everyone else 2 or more.”

“Things are definitely going well right now. We’re 15-6, 7-1. We beat San Jose ST 75-54. 20 and 7 for Den, 15 for Clif, and good play by lots of guys. 11 TOs.”

Columbia managed to lose in the game before they came to us and we beat them 60-39. 18, 5, 4 for Zel, and 12 each for Den and Shay. 8 TOs. Oh, everyone hit our SAT score.”

“Still waiting on that one recruit?”

“We are.”

“This week?”

“At 7-12, 5-3 Pepperdine, then back home with 5-14, 1-7 Western Michigan.”

“Coach is on the road next Sunday so I’m here alone.”

February 1978

Harriet Tubman 1st black woman on a stamp

Ted Bundy recaptured

“Neon” Leon Spinks beats Ali for the heavyweight title

February 5

“Rick Burns, back from break. A great week for the River Hawks. We beat Pepperdine there, 67-53. 18, 3 for Den, 14, 6, 2, 3 for Zel, but he fouled out again, 7, 5, 5, 3 for Clif. 10 TOs.

“Then we came home and embarrassed Western Michigan 64-28. 10, 11, 4 for Zel, 14, 4, 3, 4 for Den, 10 TOs, 38 RBs. 

“We have a 2 game lead in conf. I, and we’re ranked- #24.”

“This week we’re at 5-16, 1-9 Gardner-Webb, then we’re off to 11-10, 6-4 Belmont.”

February 12

“And we’re back on ‘Sportstalk.” Coach, 2 close ones this week.”

“We were tested. 58-56 at Gardner-Webb. We played good D, but so did they. We almost blew a 16 point lead but the closest it got was the final score and that was because they hit a three at the buzzer. While I was unhappy with our fade we were never really in danger of losing the game. 19 for Shay, 12, 7 for Den, 10, 8 for Zel, 8, 8 for Art Walk.

“Then it was 63-56 at Belmont. 20 for Den, who hurt his calf. The docs say he’ll be 100% for our next game though. 14, 8 for Zel. Too many TOs though, 17.”

“You’re 2 up on Eastern KY, 3 or more on the rest with 4 to play. You’ve really turned it around.”

“As I’ve said, we’re not on that crazy road trip, and we’ve found the right combinations in the lineup.”

“And this week?”

“Here against 8-16, 5-7 Stephen F. Austin and then on the road for a rematch with Santa Clara who we beat by 23 here. They’re 13-10, 6-6.”

February 19

“Rick Burns with the coach. Another great week!”

78-48 over Stephen F. Austin. It was close for 15 minutes or so. We played 7 guys and they all contributed. 4 TOs, which is remarkable.

“Then it was the rematch with Santa Clara, there, and we won 67-52. They took an early 14 point lead but we got it to one at the half and controlled the 2nd half. Another solid team effort but we could have rebounded better. We’ll work on it.”

2 to play and a 3 game lead.”

“3 over Eastern KY, 4 or more over the rest.”

“And one more week of regular season play.”

“Yes, we start with a rematch with Akron. They beat us by 10 there, our last loss. They’ve kind of fallen on hard times, 12-13, 6-8. Then we go to Vermont, 14-11, 9-5. We won by 17 here.”

February 26

“Rick Burns here with the Sunday UML hoops wrap up. Coach is not available. 2 wins, we won the conf. by 4 games, a 14 game win streak, and we’re ranked #15, RPI #19.

UML avenged the loss to Akron, 59-38. 15 each for Zel and Art. 6 TOs. 

“Then we beat Vermont 70-51 there. All 5 starters had between 11 and 13 points. 13 RBs for Zel. 12 TOs, 40 RBs.

“As we take a look at UML at the start of the post season, we’re 23-6, 15-1. TOs are down to 12.0 per game, and a 6.3 margin. RBs show a 4.0 margin, and in points it’s 12.4. It looks good for a conf. title although you never know. Zel Knox leads the way in both points and rebounds. We’ll bring you every game from here on in.”

March 1978

Charlie Chaplin’s coffin and remains stolen

Chicago Daily News ceases publication

March 4

“Rick Burns courtside. We play 17-11, 8-8, #8 seed Columbia in the quarterfinals of the conf. I tournament.”

“ We’re back. 80-63. Coach? We played well, all in all. Outside D could have been better. 20, 3, 1, 4 for Clif, 19, 6, 1, 2 for Zel, 10, 8, 2 for Den. 11 each for Key Davis and Ron Vale from the bench.”

“And tomorrow. First, on the other side there were 2 upsets so #6 seed Pepperdine will play #10 Belmont which has managed 2 upsets in a row. We play #4 seed South Carolina. They’re 17-11, 10-6. We didn’t play them in the regular season. They are an outside team, strong at the guards. Their Center isn’t bad either.”

“And we’ll be right here. See you tomorrow.”

March 5

“Rick Burns here after the game. Coach, amazing!”

“I think I aged 20 years.”

Double OT, and a 99-92 win.”

“South Carolina came to play and play they did! We were a little lucky tonight. Shay had a terrific game, 35, 7, 6, 2, 1. Every other starter was also in double figures and all 5 played 40 minutes or more. We had only 11 TOs in 50 minutes.”

“And the end of regulation and the first OT! Talk about that.”

“We were up three when Shay hit a three with 1.3 seconds left in regulation. They got it in and launched a three from half court to send it to OT. Then they were up three with 2.1 left in the first OT when we got the ball. We got it to Art Walk who drained a three from about 27-28 feet to send it to the 2nd OT.”

“You took away the mystery in the 2nd OT.”

“We did. Their C fouled out at the end of the 1st OT and their SG at the beginning of the 2nd, and with their #3 guard having 4 fouls we were able to get it done. Great game.”

#6 seed Pepperdine, 14-16, 9-7, for the title.”

“Yes. We beat them by 14 there, but they’ve played three very good games in a row here so it’s no free pass.”

“We’ll be here!”

March 6

“Rick Burns here after the conf. I title game between Pepperdine and UML. Tough one, Coach, 75-76.

“There is no excuse for blowing an 18 point lead. We’ve had 2nd half problems too often this year. Having 3 guys in serious foul trouble and 2 of them fouling out didn’t help, but we should be deep enough to deal with that. We weren’t.”

“Yes, but one point-”

“One point only because we knocked down a three at the buzzer.”

“17 3, 3, 2, 1 for Shay-”

“Before he fouled out. Den did very little before HE fouled out, and Art Walk wound up with 4, but he was in foul trouble all night. I will give credit to Clif and Key. Both played well.”

“We’ll be with the Coach and the team on March 12 for the selection show.”

And now for the rest of the story, PG:

March 12

“Rick Burns with Coach Clark and the team. We’re 25-7, ranked #12, RPI #19. Any thoughts, Coach.”

“Well, we should be a 4 or a 5 but historically we haven’t been treated very well. Who knows?”

“Okay, here we go!”

“Not in the East.”

#6 in the Midwest. We play 17-12 Western Kentucky. Coach?”

“Don’t know a thing about them but my assistants are going through the files. Give us a couple of minutes.”

“Let’s take a break.”

“Okay, we’re back. Coach?”

“Western KY is in C, they’re good outside, and they play man. They finished 9th in conf., and lost in the 2nd round of the tourney. Their 1st guard off the bench just tore up his knee a couple of games ago. As I said they are an outside team. We need to turn them over and we need to play well inside.”

“Okay, we’ll bring you the game on the 16th.”

March 16

“Rick Burns here with the Coach after the first round NCAA tourney game between Western Kentucky and UML. Coach?”

“69-43. We played well tonight. 18 for Shay but all the starters plus Key had 9 or more. 11 TOs. No disrespect but this was a mismatch.”

“Some bad news though.”

“Yes, Ron Vale pulled a calf muscle. He may not be back this year.”

“Who gets the minutes?”

“Key will get a lot of them. Geoff Hahn will get the rest.”

“Next up is #14 seed Clemson, 22-10, from D. They upset #3 seed Creighton.”

“Not a bad team. They rebound, take care of the ball, have good inside D. Outside D is weak.”

March 18

“Rick Burns here after the Clemson-UML game. Coach another big win, 76-49.”

“8 TOs, 45 RBs. That will usually win for you. 19, 14, 5 for Zel, 19, 7, 4 for Shay, 17, 5, 5 for Clif, 10, 4 for Key, 6, 10, 2 for Den. Great effort.”

“The price of poker is about to go up!”

“Indeed. #2 seed Michigan from A. 24-8, only finished 5th, lost in the first round. But this is a good team. They’re good at every position and they’re deep. If we win it will need to be inside. We’ll need to work hard to match their outside game.”

“Big incentive.”

“Well, yes. It’s #8 vs. #13 in the other game. But you never know. Our job is to try to get past this game.”

“We’ll be there!”

March 23

“Rick Burns here with the coach after the Sweet 16 game vs. Michigan. HUGE win, 56-51 in OT!

“Definitely. They were up 15 early in the 2nd half. Given our tendency to fade at times it didn’t look good. We ‘d been sloppy all night. I raised the roof and we only turned it over 3 times after that and I think that was the key. We tied the score at the end of regulation on a Clif Skip drive to the hoop. Then in OT we took control by scoring the first 7 points. Except for the 21 TOs, and again, 3 after about the 15 minute mark in the 2nd half, we really did play well. Our D was terrific. We used 10 guys and every one of them made a contribution.”

“And now you play for a trip to the final four.”

“We got there in ’71 and lost in the title game. I’d love another shot!”

#13 seed Utah has three upsets in a row and they’re the opponent.

“And it’s the #5 vs. the #10 in the East. Crazy year. We played Utah in the WS Midwest and beat them by 9. That was a long time ago though. We know they like the three. They’re 12 and 2 in the last 14, and one loss was in OT. This is a team we can beat but we need to play well.”

“See you on Saturday.”

March 25

“Rick Burns here after the Elite Eight game between Utah and UML. Not tonight, Coach. 49-64.”

“They just killed us early, took a 26 point lead. The margin was just too big. We did everything we could think of but nothing worked. 20 TOs hurt a great deal, and we couldn’t hit threes, 2-15. This was a big disappointment  but congratulations to Utah. Imagine, a #13 seed going to the Final Four.”

“We’ll talk to the coach again on April 4.”

April 1978

Carl Sagan wins Pulitzer for “Dragons of Eden”

Accident at Willow Island, West Virginia nuclear reactor kills 51

April 4

“Rick Burns with the Coach. Tell us about the Final Four.”

“A 10 seed, a 13 seed, a 4 seed, and a 1 seed. So Kansas was the big favorite. The final was Kansas and Georgia. Kansas won, but barely, 60-56. Great game.”

Awards?”

“Zel got conf. I POY. Den got Defensive POY. Both of them and Shay made 1st team. That’s it. I could make a case for Clif but…”

"And you got conf. COY again."

April 23

“Rick Burns here with the Coach to wrap up the season. Offers from UCLA? Florida? Those are the rumors.”

‘No comment other than I’m here next year.”

“28-8, 15-1, regular season champs, Elite Eight, moving up to conf. H. Good season.”

“It took us awhile but yes it was.”

Team Prestige is up to 41. You’re 387-107, .783. Off- 59, Def- 85, Recruit- 80, Scout- 10, Player Development- 74, Reputation- 72. The whole world wants to know why you’re still at little old UML. I know you’ve answered it too many times but it doesn’t add up for most folks.”

“Yes, I know. I have no other answer than the one I always give. I grew up in this town, I went to this school, my wife and I are very happy here. That’s really the whole story. The world is so oriented toward money and power that making a decision based upon happiness doesn’t seem to be possible for many people.”

“You asked for a facilities upgrade again.”

“We needed it, even more after we were turned down last year. We got it this time. When the work is completed, sometime in September, our facilities will jump from B- to B+. I’ll be asking for money for the next few years!”

“So you’re losing 3 starters and a guy who started more than ½ your games, Zel Knox, Den Debro, Clif Skip, and Key Davis, and you’re moving up to H. Will you be able to compete?”

“Good question. We’re bringing some good guys in but they’re untested. At the same time we have Shay Gann, Art Walk, Ron Vale, Geoff Hahn, and a couple of others returning. I think we’ll be okay.”

“This is my last show since I graduate next month. Next year it will be Ben Dover’s kid brother Ron. Happy trails!”

May 1978

1st spam email is sent

Aldo Moro kidnapped and murdered

Italy legalizes abortion (FTP)

1st class stamp goes from 13 to 15 cents

June 1978

1st appearance of “Garfield”

Larry Holmes wins WBC heavyweight title

June 12

“Ron Dover here on 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! We’ve learned that UML has signed Jr. transfer PG Shep Wool.

June 26

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk.’ The UML River Hawks have 4 scholarships to fill and they need big guys. They’re looking at 15 guys.”

July 1978

Nixon makes 1st public speech since resigning

100,000 march on Washington for ERA

Louise Brown, first test tube baby, is born

August 1978

39 month extension for attempts to ratify ERA

1st successful crossing of Atlantic by balloon

August 21

“Ron Dover, here, and we’re back from break with the coach on the line. Coach, how’s recruiting going?”

“I like our prospects. We’re not quite ready to make offers yet but we will probably do so during the first week of September.”

“And the team?”

“Well, we can’t practice for about 6 weeks but we’re optimistic at this point.”

“Thanks.”

September 1978

Ayatollah Khomeini stirs it up

Muhammad Ali regains heavyweight crown

Begin, Sadat, Carter sign Camp David accord

September 18

“Ron Dover with the coach. Recruiting?”

“We got as commitment from a PG. We also offered to 3 PFs and we feel we have a shot with each of them.”

“And we have a schedule.”

“We do. We’re at the Sunshine Shootout in December, and more at home than on the road otherwise. Only one ranked team would play us at our place but the rest are tough. On the road we’re playing mostly ranked teams.

September 25

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk.’ UML has signed two PFs. They are still chasing one big guy.

October 1978

The 20 day Pope is buried

Susan B. Anthony dollar coin approved

1st ever TV movie from a TV series: Return to Gilligan’s Island

Begin and Sadat win Nobel

October 2

“Ron Dover with the coach on the line. Still chasing that recruit?”

“Nope, we switched to a different one. He has us at #1 and we really like him.”

“1st day of practice.”

“Yes, too soon to tell much except we’re definitely short on big guys. We’ll almost certainly go with a three guard lineup.”

“You’re picked #1 again though.”

“We are. Charleston Southern, Manhattan, Long Beach State, and Baylor look like the ones who’ll chase us.”

October 9

“Ron Dover here. UML got a commitment from the Center they were chasing. If all hit the SAT score, and they’re good students, recruiting is finished; 1 PG, 2 PFs, 1 C.”

November 1978

Jonestown

1st lesbian theme TV movie “A Question of Love”

November 6

“’Sportstalk,’ back from break. Coach, do we have a lineup?”

“There may be some small tweaks but I don’t think there will be any big changes. Shay Gann, Ron Vale and Geoff Hahn will play about the same number of minutes at guard and backing up at SF. Art Walk will play SF and some PF. Jim Jones is at PF and Jay Son at C. 6 man rotation as long as we stay healthy. I’ll find minutes for John Bry when I can, and maybe for Mike Eld, but after that, only in emergencies.”

November 20

“Ron Dover with the Sunday UML hoops wrap up. Coach is in a plane right now. We opened with 2 teams from B conf. 1st we were at #23 Iowa and they beat us 62-83. They were better than us. It’s that simple. We’ll get better as the season goes on, Coach Clark’s teams always do. 16 TOs, -6 for both that and RBs. PG Shay Gann and C Jay Son both fouled out, and PF Jim Jones had 4 fouls. We’re really short on big guys so that killed us. 12, 10 for Jones despite the fouls, 11, 4, 2 for Art Walk, 10, 6 for Geoff Hahn, 13 for Ron Vale.

“Then we came home and beat Creighton 81-62. 17, 6, 6 for Geoff Hahn, 15 each for Gann and Vale, 10, 7 for Jones. 9 TOs but -4 RBs. Given our size issues RBs will probably be a problem all year.

“This week we’re at UCLA from E, and we host #14 Georgia from B.”

November 27

“Ron Dover with the coach. Great week.”

“It was. 88-61 over UCLA there. All 6 of our guys were in double figures. Shay Gann led us with 20, 5, 2, 1, 2. 15, 8, 3 for Jay Son. Geoff Hahn continues to be terrific from the bench. 16 TOs, but it was +3, and we were +12 on the boards, 1st time we are not out rebounded.

“Then we came home and just crushed #14 Georgia, 59-22 (Author: Ridiculous score!). 18, 3, 5 for Shay, 10, 13, 2, 2 for Art Walk. 7 TOs, and 45 RBs. They shot 15.7%, 6.9% on threes.”

“This week?”

“Home for 2. First is Minnesota from B, they’re 2-2, then VA Tech, our 4th opponent from B. They’re 0-3.”

“See you on Sunday.”

December 1978

Shah of Iran is on very shaky ground

H. R. Haldeman released from prison

December 4

“Home cookin’!”

“There’s nothing like it, Ron. 79-67 over Minnesota. This was a battle until late. 59 points from our three guards, 25 for Shay, 21 for Ron, 13 for Geoff, with 6 and 3. 7 TOs. We were -11 on the boards. But, we’re playing with a PF at Center, an SF at Power Forward, and one more SF on the team. WE have a PF and a C way, WAY at the end of the bench and that’s where they’ll stay.

“Then 71-59 over VA Tech. They were never really in it. When they got it to 6 or 7 we hit a shot every time. 17, 9 for Jay, 17, 5, 3 for Shay, 9 and 11 for Jim Jones, 6, 7, 3, 3 for Geoff. We had 23 TOs (-11), and 40 RBs (+21), a complete reversal of form. We knew VA Tech was weak inside so we went after them there.”

“This week?”

“4-2 Kansas ST from D here, then we’re off to the Sunshine Shootout where we’ll play #18 North Carolina, also 4-2, from, what else, B.”

“Yikes!”

“We’ll give it our best shot. They’re the #1 seed, we’re #8.”

“I’m here on my own next Sunday.”

December 11

“Sunday night wrap up time. Ca-razy week! And it’s not really over. It started off badly as UML lost 71-74 at Kansas ST. Shay Gann played only 22 minutes before fouling out but much worse, Jay Son played only 19. We got only 20 RBs with our small front line. 22, 6, 2 for Ron Vale, 12, 6, 3 for Geoff. This team simply isn’t deep enough to survive foul trouble up front. 

“Then, in the 1st round of the Sunshine Shootout we upset #8 UNC, 69-47. We played excellent D, had only 12 TOs, and were +1 on the boards, but the key was Geoff Hahn with 264, and 2. We held UNC to 3 threes, and we contained their inside game, which is usually their strength.

“Last night it was 63-51 over St. Joe’s in the semis. 18 for Geoff, 14, 5, 4 for Jay, 12, 6, 1, 3 for Jim, 8, 7, 3, 2 for Art. 11 TOs, and -4 on the boards.

“So in about a half hour it will be UML against 5-3 New Mexico, from conf. D. This looks like one of those “either team could win” games.

“Later in the week we’re at UMass, 1-6 from D.”

December 18

“Ron Dover with the Sunday wrap up. UML won the Sunshine Shootout in a thriller against New Mexico, 55-53. No one ever led by more than 7. On both of our last 2 possessions Ron Vale hit threes, his only two of the game. 18 TOs but we got the win.

“Then we were upset at UMass, 56-79 in a game we were never in. Only 9 TOs, but -8 on the boards and we let them shoot 56.1%, and 14-28 on threes. 16, 8, 2, 1, 1 for Jim Jones, and forget the rest.

“This week we’re at #15 Marquette, 9-1, from B conf.”

December 25

62-72 at Marquette. Tough patch but we’ll turn it around. Again the problem was D. We let them shoot 50%, 14-29 on threes. 23 for Ron. Coach says the staff had a long meeting, looked at the various stat sheets. We’re +1.0 on TOs, +0.8 on RBs, +7.2 on PPG. They’re going to move Ron Vale out to 3 when Geoff Hahn is in, and move Geoff into 2, but that’s pretty minor. He said the team is learning to work as a unit and he expects good things. He pointed out that we’re 8-4 against good competition. Ron stretched a hamstring. He’s day to day.

“Next up is NC ST, 6-4 in E conf., right here at home.”

January 1979

Diplomatic relations re-established with China

Village People: Y.M.C.A.

Shah flees Iran

1st documented case of a robot killing a human

January 1

“Ron Dover with the wrap. 61-36 over NC ST. 19, 6, 2 for Shay, 13, 13, 4 for Jay, 9 TOs, 35 RBs. A good night!

“We start conf. H play with two on the road. 1st it’s 7-4 Vermont, then 6-5 Baylor.”

January 8

“A 1-1 start to conf. play. It’s Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk’ with the Sunday UML hoops wrap up. We’ll have a special guest in just a moment. 65-54 at Vermont. We came from 14 down by holding them to 18 in the 2nd half. 23, 2, 4 for Shay, 16, 10, 2 for Jay, 11, 8, 2 for Jim, 9, 9, 3 for Art. +11 RBs.

“Then we went to Baylor and lost 41-45. Baylor played “slow down” and in the end it worked. They didn’t shoot all that well but we were worse, 30.6%, 4-22 on threes. 14, 6, 2 for Art. A very frustrating game.

“This week we’re at home with 9-4, 2-0 GA Southern, and then at Charleston Southern, 4-9, 0-2.

We have UML President Grace Clark here in the studio. Madam President, tell us about the state of the University.”

“We think we’re in very good shape and heading in the right direction. We consider ourselves a very good school, and financially we’re a bargain. We offer well over 100 bachelor’s programs, and 41 for master’s students, 34 for Ph. D. students. We are particularly proud of our arts, nursing, and business programs and we are a nationally recognized leader in providing internships for students.”

“I’m with that! I get to work at WBZ in Boston every week.”

“There you are!”

“And UML basketball?”

“It’s well known that I’ve been a big basketball fan for many years, long before I met my husband. I’ll let him speak about the men’s program when he’s here but I want to say that we’re very excited about our women’s basketball program. Long time Athletic Director Jack Lacy and Coach Clark have done everything they can to be welcoming and helpful to Coach Montville and the team. They’re in their second year and they’re playing really good basketball, 7-4 right now.”

“You’ve said that you stay out of decisions involving the men’s program.”

“Yes, I want to completely avoid any resemblance to a conflict of interest. Any issue that go beyond the A. D.’s office are decided by the Assistant Provost. If no solution is found at that level the issue goes to the Provost, but no higher.”

“President Clark, it’s great to have you with us. Thanks.”

January 15

“Ron Dover with the coach. A surprise this week.”

“Not a happy one. GA Southern beat us 57-58 here. We played really good D, we took care of the ball pretty well, but we didn’t rebound, -11. That was because the one thing that can’t happen to us happened; both of our big guys got in foul trouble. Jay played only 14 minutes before fouling out, and Jim Jones played a lot but had to 'play careful,' because he was in foul trouble all night long. We simply don’t have anyone behind those two. Art Walk is 6’ 8” but he’s a small forward/guard, not at all an inside player. When he and Geoff Hahn are our front line we’re unable to compete. No criticism of those two, they’re both terrific at what they do, but this isn’t what they do. Anyway, we got a little behind and they just banged it inside on their last three possession. They made one layup, and drew fouls twice, making the free throws. 25 for Shay.”

“But it got better.”

“We went on the road and beat Charleston Southern 63-54. 15 TOS but they had 16. Our bigs stayed out of foul trouble and they were both outstanding, 14, 12, 2 for Jim, 12, 11, 5, 2 for Jay. 14, 5 for Ron, and 13, 3, 3 for Geoff.”

“This week it’s Deep Pond, 7-8, 2-2 here, and then 6-9, 2-2 Eastern KY, away. Coach, you’re only 2-2 in conf. play. Have you climbed as high up the ladder as you can?”

“I’m not sure that’s it, Ron. We weren’t able to get the inside players we wanted and the ones we did get, aside from Jim and Jay, simply aren’t ready. Sometimes it takes longer for big guys to develop. We’ve got commitments from three this year, and we’re exploring opening a roster spot for a fourth, so we hope to solve the problem. Also, it’s early. We expect to make some noise in H before it’s over. We’re still not as good as we hope to be in Feb. and March.”

“Coach Clark’s teams always seem to peak at the right time, so here’s hoping.”

“Jeff in Marblehead.”

“Coach, you talk about the bigs, and I get that, but you’re averaging 13.1 TOs a game.”

“Yes, and that’s a concern. We like to be below 12.0. We’re addressing that as well.”

“Joey in Braintree.”

“Coach, you’ve got 2 big guys on the bench that you almost never use. Why?”

“Den Wolf plays good offense, and he rebounds, but his D is simply not where we need it to be. He’s working hard and we feel that in time he will definitely help us. Rik Tray is a project. We would have red shirted him if we had more big guys, but we knew that if we sustained an injury to a big guy we’d need him so we simply couldn’t. Incidentally, Rik agrees that he isn’t ready yet and he’s working hard.”

“Pete in Quincy.”

“Hahn needs to start.”

“He’s my Havlicek, Pete. I bring him in and good things happen. He plays the 2nd most minutes on the team.”

“Okay, that’s it for this week. Thanks Coach.”

January 22

“A 2-0 week. Coach is flying home right now so I’m by myself. 78-60 over Deep Pond here. 9 TOs, +11, really helped. +3 on the boards. It was a real team effort on both ends. We had 6 guys with between 9 and 13 points. Geoff Hahn had 18, 1, 6, 3 to lead the way. Turning them over 20 times gave us 15 more shots and we made them count.

“Then we went to Eastern KY and won 55-39 on great D. 12 TOs, 38 RBs. 13, 11 for Art Walk, 11, 3, 3 for Geoff, 8, 11, 3 for Jay, 7, 8, 2 for Jim Jones.

“There’s a real pile up on conf. Ga Southern is alone at the top, 5-1, but 6 teams are 1 back, and another 4 are 2 back. Hiccup and you drop quickly.

“This week we host Long Beach ST, 9-8, 4-2, and then we travel to 10-7, 3-3 Tulsa.”

January 29

“Another 2 win week. 60-48 over Long Beach ST. 16, 5, 2 for Jay, 14, 6, 2, 3 for Ron. 16 TOs didn’t make coach happy, but +4 on the boards and very good D."

“61-51 at Tulsa. We were down by 12 early in the 2nd half and then a 15-2 run turned it right around. 15, 4, 5 for Ron, 13, 9, 2 for Art. 9 TOs, 30 RBs. 

“We’re still one back of GA Southern but now only Manhattan is up there with us. 15-6, 6-2, ranked for the first time this season, #24, RPI #31.

“12-7 Cal Poly at home, then Manhattan, 14-5, 6-2, on the road. Looks like a challenging week!”

February 1979

Ayatollah Khomeini returns to Iran after a 19 year exile, seizes power

China invades Vietnam

“Roots”

February 5

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk’ and we’ll have a special guest with us in a few. Great week for the UML men’s hoop team. We started with an 81-48 win over Cal Poly here. We led all the way. 8 TOs (+16), 20, 3, 1, 3 for Jay, 18, 3, 1, 2 for Jim, great D all around, and we shot 58.8%.

“Then a real war at Manhattan, 62-61. Jay got hacked in the act with 1.4 left and made both shots for the win. He had 22, 3, 4. 18, 2, 5, 5 for Ron. 14 TOs, but they had 17. -6 on the boards. We only shot 13-23 from the line or it would have been a lot easier.

“We’re tied with Ga Southern at the top, 2 ahead of 6 teams. We’re #21 in the polls.

“This week it’s 9-12, 6-4 Pepperdine here, and last place Boise ST, 6-15, 2-8 there.

“We’re here with Peg Montville, coach of the 12-5 Lady River Hawks. Coach, you’re tied for 1st place in only your second year as a team.”

“To be fair, many of the other teams are in their 2nd or 3rd year but yes, it feels good.”

“I’ve seen a few of your games and I have to mention Point Guard Terry Myers.”

“She’s our leader, that’s for sure.”

“She can do everything. What a joy to watch she is!”

“Yes, she’s amazing, especially when you realize she’s just a freshman.”

“Lightning fast, great outside shot, can drive to the hoop, passes beautifully, and a great defender. She seems to get about a dozen steals a game.”

“Not quite, but she’s the national leader with 8.1.”

“So tell us about women’s hoops, Coach.”

“Well, it’s been around for a long time but Title IX really gave us our chance. We now have funding and that will help a great deal. I predict a lot of growth, relatively quickly. It looks like we’re going to switch from the NAIA to the NCAA, though that’s not official yet, and that will really increase our visibility.”

“And you’re in on the ground floor.”

“It’s an exciting time to be a women’s basketball coach.”

“How long have you coached?”

“I coached high school ball for 7 years before coming here two years ago. We didn’t have a team yet that first year. I was hired to start the program and to begin coaching the following season.”

“You went 15-9 last year, and you’re 12-5, as we said, now. What are your goals?”

“The sky’s the limit. We feel that we’re on an equal footing with most programs, only a dozen or so have been around at Div. I level for ten years or more. There’s no telling how far we can go.”

“And people are coming to see the games.”

“Yes they are. We aren’t selling out but we’ve had a few crowds of over 4,000 at home and one of 5,250. That means so much to my girls!”

“Coach, I’m hoping I get to call some of your games, and hoping to have you with us again. Good luck.”

February 12

“Ron Dover here and the coach is on the phone. Strange week.”

“Missed opportunity. We let Pepperdine beat us here, 54-57. Their PG killed us with 28. That and -13 on the boards did us in. We were +8 in TOs but it wasn’t enough. 

“Then we beat Boise ST 69-56 there. +9 TOs, +6 on the boards. 14 each for Gann, Son and Jones, and 10, 6, 2 for Walk, who hurt his wrist. Day to day and he may not miss a game.”

“You’re still tied for 1st. Yes, Ga. Southern lost too. But now there are 2 teams one back, and another 2 two back.”

[/B]

“3 of the last 4 at home but we close at GA Southern.

“That’s right. This week it’s 12-11, 6-6 Southern Illinois, and then a rematch with 15-8, 8-4 Vermont, both here. We beat Vermont by 11 there, but they’re playing a lot better now.”

“Rita in South Hadley.”

“Coach, you’re +3.0 in TOs per game which is great, but rebounding is still a problem. “

“Yes it is. We’re up 1.1 per game but it isn’t as much as we’d like. I’ve mentioned frequently that there isn’t much to be done. We’re short of big guys, no pun intended.”

“Benny here on campus.”

“Coach, can you get me tickets? I’ve been trying all year and no luck.”

(Laughs) “Benny, I wish I could help you but if I did, I’d be getting hundreds of requests from other students. We wish more tickets were available for students. The demand is really high. We sell out every game though. Keep trying, my friend.”

“Jeff in Framingham.”

“Coach, a real team effort this year. I look at the stat sheet and you have 6 guys averaging 8.3-12.4, rebounding is the same kind of differential, and so is A/TO ratio. What are the relative strengths and weaknesses between this kind of balance and having a real superstar?”

“I’m tempted to say, as long as it gets done it’s good. But there are real advantages to having that go to guy. By the same token, if we’re down to the last possession the other team can’t key on anyone because whoever is in the game for us could be the one who takes the last shot. Good question, Jeff.”

“We’re out of time.”

February 19

“And yet another 2 win week. First, 59-29 (Author: Here we go again!) vs. So. Ill. We had 4 in double figures, 12 TOs. 

"Then we beat Vermont (again) 74-58. 5 guys with 10 or more, 18 and 12 for Jay Son. 9 TOs, 35 RBs.

“Last week of the season coming up and it will all come down to the final game. First though, 11-14, 5-9 Baylor here. They beat us by 4 there. Then it’s GA Southern, 18-7, 11-3 for all the marbles. They beat us by 1 here so we’re really going to need to play well to win there.

“We’re 20-7, 11-3, ranked #20, RPI #28.”

February 26

“Ron Dover here with the coach. Coach, regular season champs.”

“This team came a long way. 12 wins in our last 13.”

Baylor?”

“We won 61-41. 22, 5 for Jay, 12 TOs, 30 RBs.”

“And the big game?”

“It was a good game, 65-59. GA Southern didn’t make it easy. We jumped out to a big early lead, 19 halfway through the first half. They spent the rest of the game chipping away and they got it down to 2 with the ball at one point. They made an awful shot choice, we got the  rebound, banged a three, stole the ball and hit a layup and that was that. 18, 3, 4, 5 for Jay but everyone played a part. It was a sloppy game, we had 17 TOs they had 18. We won despite Jim Jones fouling out. The reason for our recent success is the fact that our big guys have mostly stayed out of foul trouble. Nice to know we can win a big game when one of them does get in trouble. But Jay is the guy who is truly indispensable. He’s our one and only true inside player.”

“The tournament?”

“As you know, Ron, now that we’re up in a fairly high conf., it rotates. It’s at Manhattan this year. We’ll see how it goes. No idea who we’ll play at this point.”

“Just a reminder that we’ll broadcast all of the games from now on, and all of the women’s. Their tourney starts tonight, here. They finished 18-6, 1st in conf. there's been a lot of noise on campus about selling the game out tonight. We're here and the crowd is pouring in. It may just happen!”

March 1979

1st extraterrestrial volcano found on Io

China withdraws troops from Vietnam

Michigan State beats Indiana ST for the NCAA title (Magic vs. Bird)

March 4

“We start against #8 seed, 15-13, 9-7 Long Beach ST. They won the play in game against Vermont. We beat them by 12 in the regular season.

73-62. We led by as many as 19, and the final score was as close as it got in the 2nd half. 12, 7, 9, 8 for Jay Son, closest I’ve ever seen to a quadruple double.  other guys in double figures and Jim Jones had 7 and 7. 11 TOs. -7 RBs but it didn’t matter.

“In other news GA Southern lost. We’ll play #4 seed, 14-14, 10-6 Pepperdine. They beat us by 3 at our place so we’ll be on our toes, I hope!

“And if you’ve been living under a rock, the UML Lady River Hawks won the conf. H tourney. They sold out all 3 games here. Their selection show is tomorrow so we’ll bring that to you. They’re 21-6, ranked #8.

March 5

“Ron Dover here after the conf. H semifinal game between Pepperdine and UML. Coach, 61-56. Closer than you thought?”

“Heck no! Glad to have the win. This team beat us at our place. They know how to play us.”

“Tell us about it.”

“Their PG got 28 last time and he got 27 this time so we certainly didn’t figure him out! But our three guards combined for 41, we had 7 TOs, and we matched them on the boards. We worked for this one.”

“And it’s 16-13, 10-6, #3 seed Charleston Southern for the title.”

“We beat them by 9 at their place but that was in January. A lot has changed. And they’ve won their last 11.”

“Just wanted to let our listeners know that the UML Lady River Hawks are the #1 seed in the West. A few of the teams ahead of them in the rankings lost in early rounds of their conf. tourneys. Best of luck to them, and we’ll be broadcasting their games, starting on Thursday against Oregon ST.”

March 7

“We’re here with the coach. 62-58 and another title for the UML River Hawks! Coach Clark?”

“It’s sweet! We led all the way. They made a late run but 4 was as close as it got. 14, 8 for Jay. He fouled out, but it was 2 late fouls, after the issue was decided. Jim Jones was the bigger problem. He took a crack in the head early in the 2nd half and I didn’t use him again. He seemed okay, and he insisted he was, but why take a chance, especially when we had the game in hand., Geoff had a great game, 15 and good D, and he played Point, SG and SF. Shay had 9, 5, 3, 3, 2. 12 TOs, 30 RBs.”

“And you’re back in the Big Dance!”

“Happy to be there.”

“You’re #14, RPI #22 but that will change at least once before the selection.”

“We’ll go where they send us.”

“We’ll be with you for the selection show and with you the rest of the way.”

Thursday, March 9

“Ron Dover here after the game between the Lady River Hawks and Oregon ST. Coach Montville?”

“67-51. Very proud of our girls.”

“Terry Myers?”

“Only 29 points 11 rebounds, 9 assists and 9 steals. Oh, she blocked 2 shots.”

“She’s amazing. Any chance she’ll get any national recognition?”

“I doubt it. Our program isn’t well enough known. She should be freshman and player of the year in conf. though.”

“Utah is next.”

“Don’t know a lot about them but we did a little research, knowing that if we won it would be either them or Montana. They play man, and they’re stronger inside than out. That’s about it.”

“Okay, we’ll be here to bring our listeners the game on Saturday.”

March 11

“Ron Dover with Coach Montville of the Lady Hawks. 82-59 over Utah.”

“I’m thrilled! Second year we exist as a team, first year in the NCAA tourney, and we’re going to the Sweet Sixteen!”

“Against, California. It was Terry Myers again.”

“33, 7, 15, and 9 steals, 2 blocks. She was named the regional MOP unanimously.”

“See you in Las Vegas for the Sweet Sixteen!”

March 12

“Ron Dover here with Coach Clark as the selection show is about to begin. Lots of teams went out early in their tournaments Coach.”

“Yes, more than usual.”

We’re #12, RPI #21. Here we go:

“Not in the East.

“Not in the Midwest. Coach, I know you like to be on the other side. You got your wish.”

“Yep.”

#5 South, playing a play in winner.”

“I thought we deserved a 4 or a 5. I’m okay with this.

March 16

“Ron Dover here in Las Vegas after the Sweet Sixteen game between the UML Lady River Hawks and 20-10 California, the #5 seed. Coach Montville, a win, but a costly one.”

“Yes, 68-58, but Terry Myers is through for the season. Long term it isn’t a serious issue but she broke a finger on her shooting hand and there’s simply no way for her to be back day after tomorrow, or even next week should we move on.”

“Such a shame. Tell us about the game.”

“We scored the first 11, 9 by Terry and she assisted on the other basket. It never got closer than 6 after that. Terry wound up with 30, 6, 12, 14, and 4 blocks. I was just about to take her out, with about 3 minutes left, when the injury happened.”

“I don’t see how you can be faulted, Coach. That’s earlier than a lot of coaches would take out their star.”

“Yes, I know but when something like this happens…”

“Yep. USC is next.”

“#2 seed, 22-5. We would have had a struggle with Terry. Without her… well, we’ll just have to do what we can. We won’t quit! We don’t know how to do that!”

“I’ll be here in Las Vegas. Right now I need to catch a plane to Lexington, Kentucky to do the men’s opening round game against Gardner-Webb. They’re in J.”

March 17

Ron Dover here with Coach Montville- I mean Coach Clark. I’m all over the place these days, Coach. 66-52 over Gardner-Webb.”

“Coach Montville is doing a great job with that team. Shame about the injury. Oh, and thanks to WLOW for broadcasting the game. We were too far away to pick it up but friends back home called and told us all about it.”

“I loved doing it. Tell us about the game.”

“We never trailed but they got close a few times. With 10 to go it was over though. Jay Son had 22, 6, 4 against a good Center. 9 and 8 for Jim, 17, 4, 2 for Ron Vale. 9 TOs, 29 RBs.”

“#4 seed Florida up next.”

“Tough 2nd round game! They’re 22-9, from C. they didn’t have the greatest season but they’ve won 11 in a row, including the conf. C tourney so they’re hot. Their SG is a big time scorer. They do a lot of things well.”

“We’ll be at the women’s game tomorrow in Las Vegas, and back here on Sunday for the men’s game.”

March 18

“Ron Dover with Lady River Hawks Coach Peg Montville. USC 77-UML 59. Tough night but a great season.”

“Exactly. We just didn’t have the tools without Terry Myers. We played out hearts out though, and I couldn’t be prouder of my team.”

“Terry’s back. Who else, and who will be new?”

“We’re losing only our starting Center and our 3rd guard. We recruit regionally more than anything. We have a very good Center coming in from Holyoke, another big girl from Burlington, Maine, and a guard from New Haven, CT. We feel good about all three. We’re really optimistic about next year.”

“And Terry will be fine?”

“The docs looked again. It’s a simple break. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t heal quickly and completely according to them.”

“Good news, and good luck next year.”

March 19

“Ron Dover here with Coach Clark after the 2nd round game with Florida. 65-76.

“They were tough. We put so much into stopping their big scorer that a bunch of other guys beat us. I’ll take the hit. We usually play it the other way; let the scorer get his, but try to stop everyone else. Might not have worked, but this didn’t so I’ll 2nd guess myself.”

“Some UML players played well.”

“Definitely. 21, 10, 2 for Jay. 24, 3, 2 for Ron Vale in his last game with us. Shay and Art are also graduating and all of them will be missed. Only 4 TOs. But we gave up 19 threes, and that did us in.”

Coach, it’s been an incredible run. We got to the Sweet Sixteen or better 8 years in a row, which was the longest streak in Div. I for that.

“Sorry to see it go. We’ll certainly be trying to get back there next year.”

“And we’ll be right there with you.”

“Back on the 4th with the awards show.”

April 1979

Iran proclaims Islamic Republic

Idi Amin overthrown

Jane Fonda wins Oscar. Thousands of righties die of apoplexy.

April 4

“Ron Dover here with two coaches. First Coach Montville. Good news?”

“Absolutely. Terry Myers was named conf. H MOP and Freshman of the Year, and of course, 1st team. Our senior Center Mary Greyledge made the 2nd team along with returning Power Forward Lacy Maze.”

“And you got Coach of the Year.”

“I did. I’m hoping the noise we made in the tourney will have people watching Terry enough next year that she will get some national recognition.”

And the final four? Immaculata beat USC for the title.

“So you lost to a team that went all the way to the title game. Thanks Coach. Coach Clark. Tell us about the men’s final four.”

“#5 ranked Wake Forest vs. #11 Kentucky, and #2 Kansas vs. #10 Virginia in the semis. Big upset. #10 Virginia went all the way, beating #2 Kansas by 10, then #5 Wake Forest by 19. It was a lot of fun, and Coach Grady really deserved a title. He’s been around a long time and is truly one of the good guys.”

“Cool! Awards?”

“Jay Son was freshman of the year and first team. Shay Gann and Jim Jones made 2nd team.”

“And YOU got Coach of the Year!”

“Yes. I was hoping Art and/or Ron would get something since they’re seniors. But no luck.”

“I want to address a question to both of you. Staying or leaving.”

(They answer together) “Staying!”

“(Laughs) “Okay! We know how Coach Clark feels. Coach Montville, what are your reasons?”

“1. I like it here. I’m treated well. I’m welcome. I never feel like that cousin you have to be nice to. 2. It doesn’t matter a whole lot where you are if you coach women’s hoops. It’s so early that every place is going to pay about the same with a VERY few exceptions. Nobody except a very few are going to have better facilities or working conditions.  I think just about any school with a cooperative A. D. and men’s coach can become a powerhouse. I have all of that and more here. there’s no reason to leave.”

“Good answer! Coach Montville, we’ll talk again soon. Coach Clark, we’ll do a season wrap up later this month.”

April 23

(Author’s Note: Met all 4 of my goals. Team Prestige went from 41 to 39. WTF!) “Coach, you turned down Michigan? UCLA?”

“The answer to everyone was, ‘Not interested.’ So no jobs were offered, no jobs were turned down. And before you ask, I don’t discuss who called.”

“Okay, but both of those A. D.’s told. Okay, 26-8, 13-3, won conf. H regular season and tourney. 2nd round of the NCAA, moving up to conf. G.”

“Yes, by any standard that’s a successful season. But we are disappointed not to get to the Sweet Sixteen.”

“Every 9 years or so, we’ll let it go. 16 years here, 413-115, .782. Off- 62, Def- 85, Recruit- 80, Scout- 10, Player Development- 78, Reputation- 75. Oh, did you ask for money?”

“I did. We got $13,500, and we’re very happy to have it!”

“See you next season, Coach.”

May 1979

The evil monster elected as PM in England. Beginning about a year and a half later, she and the man with no brain, after his election in the U. S., would ruin the world’s economy. Permanently?

June 1979

SALT II signed, no peppah

Ali retires (temporarily)

June 6

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk.’ UML is looking at a few transfers”

June 16

“We learned today that the UML men’s hoop team got a PG and an SF.”

June 26

“Ron Dover, back from break. The UML men have 2 scholarships. Looking at 4 bigs, 6 guards to start with.

July 1979

Sony Walkman

Saddam Hussein takes power in Iraq

August 1979

More IRA related killings

Comet collides with the Sun

August 7

“’Sportstalk. UML PG Shay Gann has been nominated for the Norton Award. He’s #39 on the list right now.”

August 21

“Ron Dover with Coach Clark. What’s up with recruiting, Coach?”

“We offered to a very good looking SG who has us at #1, and to a PF who has us at #7.”

“And we’ll be checking in for updates.”

September 1979

Clayton Moore ordered to stop wearing Lone Ranger mask

ESPN debuts

September 18

“Ron Dover with the Coach. Got a recruit!”

“We got our SG. Now to get the big guy.”

“And you have a schedule.”

“We’re going to the WS Midwest Invitational. Several ranked teams, all on the road.”

September 25

“’Sportstalk’ has learned that UML lost the big guy they were after, but they’ve offered to another one.”

October 1979

Wayne Gretzky scores his 1st NHL goal

October 2

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk.’ YML is still chasing that 2nd recruit.

“They’re picked to finish 1st in conf. G.

“Today was the first day of practice. Coach seemed to think he could go 7 or 8 deep, but he cautioned that it’s early.”

November 1979

Iranians seize U. S. embassy taking 90 hostages

The man with no brain announces his candidacy for POTUS

Pink Floyd releases “The Wall”

November 6

“Ron Dover with the coach on the line. Coach, we have a lineup.”

“Senior Shay Gann is our best player. He and Shep Wool, a junior transfer from Alabama, are at the guards. Freshman Lem Ward will back them up, along with junior John Bry. Jim Jones will start at SF. He’s a soph and he started at PF last year, but this is his natural position. Freshman Kim Chan is at PF, and Soph Jay Son are inside. Dub Hart, another frosh, will back up the big guys.”

“So you’ll play 8 guys, 1 senior, 2 juniors, 2 sophs, 3 frosh. You’re young.”

“We are, but it’s a nice mix, really.”

“So how do you think you’ll do?”

“I expect it will take a while. We’ll be much better in the spring than we’ll be at the beginning.”

Still chasing that 2nd recruit?”

“We hope to make an offer soon. We’re looking at 5 PFs.”

You’re on the road for a while. The first week it’s Kennesaw ST then #23 Arizona, then off to the WS Midwest.”

“The road is always rough but we’ll do what we can.”

“Thanks coach.”

November 20

“Ron Dover here with the Sunday night UML hoops roundup. The men started with a 66-49 win at Kennesaw ST. Jay Son led the way with 21, 8, 1, 4, 1. 14, 3, 5 for Shep Wool. The front line battled a strong KS front and won the battle. Shay Gann did not play the kind of game we expect from him. The team had 12 TOs.

“Then #23 Arizona won 67-71. Shay was definitely himself, 27, 6, 5, 3. 12, 2, 5 for Shep Wool, 8 and 9 for Jay Son. The Arizona bench outscored our 23-9. That and 18 TOS were the key factors. All in all we played well against a ranked team this early in the season, but it only counts if you win.

“The UML women’s team got off to a 2-0 start. They are ranked #9.

“This week the men are at the WS Midwest Invitational. They play the #5 seed Bradley, 1-1 vs. two ranked opponents.  After the tourney it’s an overnight flight home and a game with California. So they’ll fly all night, arrive in the morning and play that same night. I think the A. D. hates his coach!”

November 27

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk.’ Coach is in a plane right now. It’s been quite a week. The UML men’s hoops team won the WS Midwest, beat Cal, went 4-0 for the week, and are ranked #19 in the polls. It was 84-70 over Bradley. 5 guys in double figures, four others who played well. 10 TOs, +14 on the boards.

“Then 79-64 over #1 tourney seed Xavier. Again, 5 in double figures, +12 on the boards. 16 TOs, but they had 18. 

“It was 67-52 over #2 seed Western KY in the title game. 19, 6, 4, 3 for Shay, 16, 3, 5 for Shep Wool who is scoring consistently but turning it over too often. Another 16 TOs (-1), +6 on the boards.

“Then a bunch of tired River Hawks beat Cal 73-44. Coach used a lot of bench but PF Kim Chan had 19, 11, SG Shep Wool had 20, 8, 2 (and only 2 TOs0, And C Jay Son had 15, 11, 2. 9 TOs, 43 RBs.”

“Coach said he rested his guys the next two days with easy practices. No running, just walk throughs of what they would use on O and D in this week’s games, and some shooting practice.

“We’re at 1-2 Oregon from A conf tomorrow, then we host 3-1 Iowa ST from C, later in the week.

“The lady River Hawks also went to the WS Midwest, and also won it. They are 5-0, ranked #5.”

December 1979

USSR invades Afghanistan

December 4

“Ron Dover here and it’s Sunday. Coach is on a plane again. A tough 62-66 loss at Oregon. TOs have been a problem and we had 18. Shay fouled out in 20 minutes which also hurt. We faded late. I spoke to Coach and he felt his guys were still tired. 19, 4, 4 for Shep, 15, 4, 1, 2 for Lem Ward from the bench, 12, 4 for Jay. 

“Then we came home and beat Iowa ST 80-47. 5 in double figures, 9 TOs, 38 RBs. This team likes home cookin’, 4-0 here.

“This week it’s 4-2 Iowa ranked #24, from B, there. Then we host 1-4 Minnesota from C.

“The women’s team is 7-0 and now up to #3 in the polls.”

December 11

“Sportstalk’ and we’re back from break. Iowa beat us 60-75. 20 TOs, Shay fouled out. Except for rebounding (+18) we simply didn’t play well. 

“Home cookin’ did it again. 73-58 over Minnesota. 19 for Shay, 14-10 for Jim Jones. 15 TOs but they had 20.

“Three one game weeks in a row. This week we host #25 UMass, 7-2.

“I think the biggest problem our guys are facing is turnovers. We’re averaging 14.3. We’re +9.5 in rebounding, +11.5 in PPG. Oh we dropped out of the top 25.

“The lady River Hawks kept it going, 9-0, still #3.”

December 18

“Ron Dover here and we have a guest on ‘Sportstalk.’ 78-63 over #25 UMass. 22, 6, 2 for Jay, 14, 3, 4, 2, 2 for Shay but he fouled out again, in 22 min. 14 TOs, 35 RBs. 

“This week we’re at #17 Indiana, 7-1. 

“Welcome to the show to Coach Peg Montville of the 10-0, #2 ranked lady River Hawks. Coach, you really have it going this year.”

“We’re off to a great start, that’s true.”

“And Terry Myers is #1 on the Norton list.”

“She’s a force of nature. She’s leading the team in points, assists, steals, and even rebounds. Her assist to turnover ratio is 4.9-1. I’ve never seen a better Point Guard in women’s basketball.”

“Can she take you all the way?”

“Well, if she were alone she couldn’t, no. But we have a couple of good experienced p[layers, and three freshmen who are developing into very good players.”

“How far can you go?”

“I’m optimistic. If we stay healthy the sky’s the limit.”

“Thanks Coach. Hope to have you on again soon.”

December 25

“UML lost 37-46 at #17 Indiana. 20 TOs. Shay Gann twisted an ankle early. He played 24 minutes but wasn’t very effective. Kim Chan had 16 and 9, but he didn’t get much help. But 37 points?

“This week we’re at 4-3 Seattle from T conf.”

January 1980

USSR Iranian embassy attacked

1st GPS

McCartney goes to jail for 10 days in Tokyo

U. S. boycotts Olympics held in Russia

“You LIKE me! You really LIKE me!!!” Sally Field wins Oscar.

January 1

“Ron Dover and it’s Sunday. UML beat Seattle, there, 61-46. Balanced scoring. The TO problem continues- 17.

“Conf. play begins this week with 5-6 Pepperdine here, and 6-5 Weber ST there.

“Coach, this is your first visit of the season. You said early on that this team would be better in the spring than it was in November. Are we making progress?”

“In most areas I think we are. We finished the pre-conf. season 9-4. 2 things need fixing though. First, we need to take better care of the ball; 14.9 TOs per game is awful. Second, we need to play better- a lot better, on the road.”

“Strengths?”

“Lots of them. Rebounding is +9.3. We’re defending well most of the time; our opponents average 57.8, so we’re +10.4 there. Individually, Jay Son is playing really well, Shep Wool is doing a great job in most areas, but he needs to work on taking care of the ball. Shay is playing well, but not as well as expected. Dub Hart is putting up great numbers from the bench.”

“How will you fare in conf. G?”

“We’ve climbed really far really fast. At some point we’ll reach our upper limit. I think we’re good here, but we’ll see if we’re good enough to finish first.”

“Thanks Coach.”

January 8

“Ron Dover here with Coach Clark on the line. We hope to take some questions. 72-62 over Pepperdine before a full house here.”

“Quite a battle at PG; there guy got 28, Shay got 27. Our big guys outscored theirs by a good margin. We had 11 TOs, which also made me happy.“

A 70-60 win at Weber ST.”

“25, 5, 1, 2 for Jay, the front court beat up on theirs. Another PG battle. Their guy had 17, 3, 6, 2, 1 for Shay, and their guy had 18, 1, 2, 1. 9 TOs (+67), and even on the boards.”

“This week we host 8-6, 2-0, Rhode Island and then travel to San Francisco, 7-6, 1-1. Okay, Jay in Revere.”

“Coach, Dub Hart is playin’ way too good not ta start.”

“Dub is definitely playing well, and he’s helping us a great deal. He, Lem Ward, and Jon Bry are vital to us. They come in and we stay at the same level rather than slumping. That’s important. For now he’s staying right where he is.”

“Mike from Malden.”

“Coach, still haven’t got that 2nd recruit?”

“We’ve offered to a guy who seems interested, and we’re looking at a few others. We’ll get there.”

"Marty in Roxbury.”

“Coach, what movies are you watching?”

“We saw ‘Apocalypse Now.’ It was fascinating but I’m not sure I could tell you what it was about. ‘The Life of Brian’ was hilarious. ‘10’ was a waste of time and money. It won’t surprise anyone that I absolutely loved ‘The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh.’ Just saw ‘Being There.’ I thought it was excellent and I want to see it again.”

“Okay, we’re out of time.”

January 15

“Back from break with Coach Clark. 50-40 with Rhode Island here.”

“Sloppy on both sides. We had more talent but neither team played well. Coach halibut and I were both shaking our heads after the game. He said he’s having a tough year, and tonight was not the exception. I told him he’d dragged us down there with him. 16 TO, -3 on the boards. Shep Wool with 15, 6, 1 and Jim Jones, with 14 and 8 were the only guys who did anything on O. Our D was good, but not as good as the score would lead you to believe. Shay played 28 minutes, most of it in foul trouble, and Kim Chan fouled out in 24. But, not as bad as the game at San Francisco.”

“I hate to ask…”

“59-72. Shay had 17, John Bry had 15, and no one else had more than 7. 16 TOs again, and -8 on the boards.”

“Coach, what do you do when the team starts playing… less than their best ball?”

“You and the staff look at as much tape as you can. You try to figure out what’s going wrong. You try to make adjustments. Hey, we’re 3-1 in conf., and only one team, Wagner, is ahead of us. We want to play better and we will play better, but we’re in good shape.”

“This week we host 8-7, 1-3, Charleston South and travel to 9-6, 3-1 Towson.”

“Tough road game.”

“Okay, thanks Coach. Oh! The lady River Hawks are 15-0, still #2 ranked.”

January 22

“Ron Dover back from break and the coach is on the phone. Charleston South?”

“82-57 here. A season low 5 TOs and I’m smiling as I say it. 27, 4, 4 for Shay, 8, 9 for Jay, and the other 3 starters all had 11 or more.”

“A really close call at Towson.”

“It sure was, 58-51 in OT. Back and forth all night. They missed a 12 footer at the end of regulation, and that gave us a second life. We took advantage. 23, 4 for Jim. Kim and Jay had only 2 each but Jay had 10 RBs. We escaped but I’ll take it.”

“Tied for 1st with Wagner. This week?”

“2 at home, 6-11, 2-4 North Texas, and then 4-13, 2-4 Seton Hall.”

“TOs are coming down.”

“Not fast enough, still 13.9. That’s awful. We work on it every practice.”

“Back in the rankings, #23.”

“It’s nice but it doesn’t mean much. I’ll take it.”

January 29

“Ben Dover here on ‘Sportstalk.’ 88.1 FM, WLOW. How LOW can you GO! Coach is out of town, but we have a very special guest. 2 home wins this week. 76-43 over North Texas. 16 TOs, but they had 19. +7 on the boards. A real team effort, 7 guys had between 6 and 15 points. We held them to 21.6% shooting.

“Then it was 78-64 over Seton Hall. Shay had a very big game, 34, 3, 2, 2. 16, 5 for Jim, 9, 10, 2, 1 for Jay, 11, 1, 10 for Shep. 11 TOs.

Shay Gann is #14 on the Norton list.

We’re alone in 1st, 1 ahead of Wagner and URI, 2 up on VCU and Pepperdine. #21.”

This week we’re at GA Southern, 9-10, 3-5, and we host 13-8, 4-4 Nebraska.

“We have UML President Grace Clark on the phone. Madam President. What do you think of UML basketball?”

“I’m thrilled! You’ve just said how the men are doing, which is wonderfully well, and Coach Montville has the women at 19-0, #1 in the country after ODU’s loss.”

“Yes, the women are really putting it all together. I watch their games when they play here, when I can and they are fun to watch.”

“Terry Myers is amazing! She’s talented in so many areas, and she’s unselfish.”

“And what about UML as a whole. How are we doing?”

“We have been trying to be much more than just a branch of UMass. We’re proud to be affiliated with that great school but since I became President it has been a goal of mine to have us reach the point where we stand alone, where people, especially young people making the decision of where to go to school, think of us as a great place to be. I feel we’re making progress with that. Our ranking in Education has climbed to a place where we’re happy with it, although we want to go higher. Our Nursing program is one we are very proud of. Our school of Business provides internships with some top notch companies. Our Fine Arts programs are wonderful. If you’ve been to an exhibit, a concert, a play here, you’ve had a great evening.”

“So where do we go from here?”

“Well, the job never ends. We keep trying, and often succeeding, in hiring professors who are highly respected in their fields. Our budgets are limited but we try as hard as we can to provide the best of facilities in every department on campus. Fund raising is a constant, vital part of what I do, and of what we do as a university. Good education is not cheap, and more dollars mean better programs.”

“And you’re still happy being at this little school?”

“This little school is getting bigger and better all the time and I am very happy here. My husband and I keep being asked about moving. We’ve both said, time after time, that we’ve found a home here, and that it is a very happy home.”

“Thank you Madam President.”

February 1980

Muhammad Ali tours Africa as envoy to the POTUS.

Relations between Egypt and Israel continue to be very good

Gordie Howe gets his 800th goal

“Miracle on Ice” U. S beats USSR and later wins Olympic Gold Medal

February 5

“Ron Dover and we have a special guest again this week. First the Sunday wrap up. The UML men defeated GA. Southern 64-57, there. It was never that close. The lead went as high as 16, with 6 minutes left. Coach cleared his bench and it tightened a bit. 17, 7, 3 for Jay, 16, 12, 1, 4 for Jim, who has been really playing well lately. +10 on the boards, but coach has been pulling his hair out over TOs. 21 in this game, only -3 but still.

“Then at home, 64-40 over Nebraska. We were in charge all the way. 20, 4, 6, 2 for Shay, 10, 10, 2 for Jim, 13, 5 for Kim Chan. +15 on the boards, but 14 TOs.

“2 on the road this week. 11-11, 5-5 VCU, then 6-15, 1-9 last place Ohio. 4 of our last 6 are on the road. We’re #17, RPI #20. Only Wagner is 1 back, URI and Pepperdine 2 back. 

“We have Coach Peg Montville, of the 21-0, #1 in the nation UML lady River Hawks. Coach, #1!”

“It only counts on the last day of the season, after the last game is over, but yes, it feels really good, especially given that we’re a small school that is not well known.”

“Does that say something about women’s basketball?”

“It definitely Does, It says we’re a new game in town and anyone who’s willing to work really hard can aim for the top. The other national powers in our game until recently, except for USC, not well known schools around the country- Delta ST, Louisiana Tech, Immaculata- ODU is somewhat better known but not a whole lot. Now big schools are getting in but they’re just starting, like the rest of us. It looks like UCLA, Maryland, Texas, Tennessee, and a couple of others are getting serious, but we’ve got a leg up. Soon the fact that they can pour a whole lot more money into their teams than we can will probably make a difference, but if we work at it, we can stay ahead, at least I believe that.”

“Well, yes, hard work is important, but it also takes some coaching skills.”

“Certainly, and recruiting skills, and a little luck, and a good staff, and administrative support, and players who buy in.”

“Well, you’ve got Terry Myers, maybe the best player in women’s hoops, but you’ve gathered a strong supporting cast around her.”

“We were lucky with the two juniors and 3 sophs because no one knew who we were. It just happened that there were some really good players in the northeast during the years we recruited them and we recruited HARD. This past season people did know who we were because they knew who Terry was, and they wanted to be on her team. That meant we got the kids we wanted and needed. Terry’s only a soph so that will work this year as well, assuming we make some noise in the NAIA tournament. We have 2 open slots and we want a ball handler and either an SG or an SF. We’re close with the two kids at the top of our list but unlike the men’s game, kids tend to commit late on our side, often in April, and even May.”

“Great speaking with you, Coach.”

February 12

“Welcome back. We’re here with Coach Clark. Another 2 win week, Coach. 64-55 at VCU.”

“Kim Chan struggled but our other 4 starters put up numbers. Everybody played great D. But our TO problem continued, 15.”

“Then you went to Ohio.”

“59-50. D was even better, TOs even worse, 18. +7 RBs. Honestly, I’m pretty happy with everything except ball handling.”

“Coach, you’re #14 in the country, 20-5, 11-1, you’re 3 up on everyone in conf. G except Wagner, you’ve won your last 8, 12 of 13. What’s the big deal with a few TOs?”

The big deal is that it will hurt us in the post season, it will hurt us in the Conf. tourney, and it will likely kill us early in the NCAA tourney. We need to get this fixed.”

“On a brighter note, Shay Gann is #13 on the Norton list.”

“It’s great, both for Shay and for the team.”

“This week it’s 12-12, 7-5 Vanderbilt here and Pepperdine, 12-11, 7-5, there. We haven’t played Vandy, but we beat Pepperdine by 10 here. See you on Sunday.”

February 19

“Ron Dover here with Coach Clark. 67-52 over Vanderbilt here.”

“We played our usual good D. 18, 2, 3 for Shep, 7, 9 for Jim, 11, 2, 5, 3 for Jay. +10 TOs but 13 is still too many.”

“And then 65-69 at Pepperdine. A missed opportunity?” 

“Absolutely! The win against Vandy opened up a 2 game laed over Wagner. This loss dropped it back to one. We played decent D inside but they killed us outside, 11 threes and about 4/5 of their points. And 17 TOs, -6. No idea what to do except keep working. There really aren’t any lineup changes that would help, our subs turn it over slightly more than our starters do.”

“One up with 2 to play, #15 in the country. We have 13-12, 7-7 Weber ST here, and we finish at 15-11, 9-5 URI. That game will mean a lot to them since they’re in a 3 way tie for third place. We only won by 10 here with URI. We can’t afford any slip ups this week. Wagner finishes with 2 at home.”

“We’ll be with you all the way.”

February 26

“I’m on my own tonight. Ron Dover with the Sunday wrap up. A busy week. 74-51 over Weber ST here. +7 on the boards but 14 TOs again. 23, 4 for kim Chan, 12, 8, 5, 3 for Jim Jones. We played good D.

“URI beat us 61-68. 18 TOs. D wasn’t bad but too many TOs and too many fouls. Our 1st guard off the bench, Lem Ward, suffered a broken foot and he’s out for the season. John Bry will get his minutes.”[/b

“We ended up tied with Wagner, and due to overall record we get the #1 seed.

“On the women’s side we lost our first game, 61-63, to 2nd place VCU. We won the conf. by 3 games, 26-1, 15-1 in Conf., and still #1 in the country.”

March 1980

Snow in Florida

Jane Fonda wins “People’s Choice” award. Right wingers go apoplectic

John Wayne Gacy found guilty of 33 murders (It’s the name)

J. R. is shot

March 4

“It’s #8 seed Weber ST in the G conf. tourney quarter finals. They’re 15-13, 8-8. We beat them by 10 and 23.”

“Ron here. I’m back with the coach. Coach, 63-56.” 

“17 TOs almost did us in. We gave up 12 threes and we were listless, standing around on O. D was spotty. We need to wake up- fast.”

#5 seed NC A & T, 16-13, 9-7 next. We didn’t play them in the regular season.”

“3-3 in their last 6 but they looked good in both tourney games. They get their points outside.”

March 5

“Ron back after the game. 74-64. Coach?”

“We were never threatened. We had 12 TOs, which is the target, well the max for them not hearing about TOs. 27, 4, 3, 3 for Shay, 14, 11 for Jay.”

“#6 seed, 21-11, 9-7 Nebraska upset Wagner.”

“Yes. In a way we’re disappointed. Not to put Nebraska down at all but we never played Wagner and we would have liked to test ourselves against them. We beat Nebraska by 24 and they’ll be looking to avenge that, which makes them dangerous. As always, we need to take care of the ball. If we do, I think we’ll be okay.”

March 6

“Tough night, Coach.”

60-70. Congrats to Nebraska. Amazingly enough I can’t blame TOs, we only had 12 for +4. We were -9 on the boards, and we let them shoot 52% and 12 threes. Jay really did not play well but the biggest difference was bench play. They had 20, 9, 3, we had 5, 6, 2.”

“We’ll be with you and the team for the selection show in March 12.”

March 12

“Ron Dover with a special edition of ‘Sportstalk.’ We’re here with Coach Clark, Coach Montville, President Clark- oops, I should have started with the President, sorry, and the men’s and women’s UML hoops teams. The men’s selection show is about to begin. The men are #15, RPI #22. Coach, where and how high?”

(Laughs) “No idea. I’d love a #5 or #6 in the South or the West.”

“Here we go!

“Not in the East.

#6 in the Midwest. We’ll play #11 seed Colorado, 21-9; they’re in F. Coach?”

“They finished 2nd in conf., lost in the title game. 9-2 in the last 11. 1-0 vs. ranked teams. D is a little shaky. PG scores a lot of points, we should be able to turn them over, they’re decent inside.”

“Just want to let our listeners know that Coach’s assistants had LOTS of print outs on the possible teams they might face in Round One.”

(Laughs) “That’s right, Ron. I didn’t actually know all of that stuff off the top of my head.”

“Okay, now it’s the women’s turn. Coach Montville, what do you think?”

“#1 overall or something’s wrong. 29-1, 15-1, won our tourney, #1 ranked, #1 RPI, played 14 ranked teams during the season and beat 13 of them.”

“And… that didn’t take long! #1 overall.

(Cheers, hoots, hollers…) “What a great feeling. I’m so happy for my kids!”

“Coach, if you don’t win the national title will the season be a failure?”

“Ha! Well, I suppose to some people. I realize this is a cliché but we are absolutely taking all of this one game at a time. I can’t win the title in the first round. Can’t win it in the next to last round. We need to win the next game at that’s the only one I want us thinking about. The only caveat is that the staff have to be looking at the two teams we may face in the 2nd round. It’s okay to begin the preparation.”

“Great answer, and the very best of luck. WLOW will be bringing all of your game sto our fans. I’ll be doing every one that I can. I hope it works out that I get to do all of them because I love watching this team. President Clark. What does it mean to UML to have the men #6 ranked, and the women #1 overall?”

“It means exposure. When prospective students hear the name, and watch the team, a certain percent will become curious. Some of those will follow up. Bottom line? We have more applicants and we can select from a larger pool, and therefore wind up with higher quality students.  Well, students with better qualifications.  The other benefit is that it “rallies the troops.” Both current students and alums feel closer. For the students that’s great in lots of ways; we want them to identify more closely with the school, and to take more pride in being a student here. This does both of those things and some others. For alums in translates into more participation, and more donations, both of which are very important to us.”

“So the further the teams go, the more benefit to the university.”

“Exactly.”

“Well let’s hope both teams go deep into the tournament!”

March 13

“The lady River Hawks beat South Dakota ST, 89-37 tonight. Tammy Myers had 44, 12, 11, 10 steals, and 5 blocks. Maybe her best game ever.”

March 15

“The lady River Hawks advanced to the round of 16, 86-40 over South Florida. 49, 11, 9, 7, 5 for Tammy. Coach, she’s on a level that few if any women hoops players can reach.”

“Tammy’s potential is unlimited. None of this surprises me at all.”

Maryland is next.”

“Good school, good program. #4 seed. 26-6. They’ve got a good PG and they’re tough inside.”

“Good luck, Coach. We’ll be with you on March 20 at the University of Delaware. I have a plane to catch!”

March 16

“We’re here with Coach Clark, after the game. 55-42 over Colorado.”

“I was really happy with the D. 13 TOs but it was +5. 16, 7 for Kim, 13, 7, 3, 2 for Jim, 13, 4, 2, 3 for Shay. We didn’t get as lot from the bench. Good effort though.”

Next up is 21-10, 12-4 Sam Jones from F again.”

“Yes. They’re the team that beat Colorado in the title game after finishing 1st. 10-1 in their last 11. Played two ranked teams all year, 1-1. If they have a weakness it’s D. We think we can put up some points if we can knock down shots. They’re a half step slow. They get their points outside, they’re decent with the ball, they don’t rebound all that well. They do win though. OH, and they have a pretty good bench.”

“We’ll be there!”

March 18

“Ron Dover with Coach Clark. 79-64 over Sam Jones.”

“11 TOs. Ron, when we take care of the ball good things happen. 26, 3, 5 for Shay. 12, 10, 2, 3, 1 for Jay, 13, 5, 2 for Jim, who hasn’t gotten the notice he deserves. We worked the ball and got lots of open shots, and we hit them, 50% shooting.”

“Sweet 16 for the 9th time for you and for the team.”

“It was really upsetting to miss it last year. I hope we’ve got lots more basketball to play but it’s great to be here.”

Stan James Red Storm next.”

“Yes. A conf., 18-13, 8-8. Finished tied for 8th, lost in the first round. They came here as a #7 seed, beat #10 W. VA., then caught a break when #15 seed UL Monroe upset #2 Wake Forest. They caught another break when a halfcourt shot went in at the buzzer to give them a 2 point win.”

“Are they on borrowed time?”

“You know, sometimes a team catches fire in the tournament. I hope that’s not the case, but it could be.”

“Strengths? Weaknesses?”

“Their #3 guard hurt his knee. He may play but I don’t think he’ll play a lot. Like the last 2 teams we played, they score outside. They’re decent with the ball. All 5 guys go to the boards and it often works for them.”

“And so?”

“If we take care of the ball and play the way we’re capable of playing we should be okay, but saying it and doing it are two different things.”

“I’m heading for Delaware. The ladies are up on Monday and we’re here starting  at 7:00.”

March 20

Another win for the UML lady River Hawks! 89-44 over MD. They doubled her all night. They held her to 33, but she had 16 assists, 9 RBs, 9 steals, and 7 blocks. Coach, we may be out of things to say.”

“We invite teams to double her. She can find the open player when she’s under pressure better than anyone I’ve ever seen in the women’s game.”

ODU next, #2 seed, # 6 ranked, 24-6, 16-0 in A conf. Big, strong and deep inside. The best inside team we’ve since I got here.”

“The key?”

“We’re better at guard- not just Tammy, but overall. We need to prevent their guards from getting the ball inside to the big girls where they want it. When they do get it inside we need to big/little double.”

“Can’t wait! I’m staying right here with the team. We’re the 9:00 o’clock game so we’re here at 8:30 on Wednesday. Join us!”

March 22

“Ron Dover with Coach Montville. It’s like you wrote the script, Coach, 81-49.”

“We did a great job of stopping their inside game and we stayed out of trouble doing it.”

“And Tammy.”

“It seems like she was taking it away from big girls all night.”

“14 steals. I had one of our people tracking how many held balls she caused- 11. 39 points, 5, RBs, 12 assists, 2 blocks.”

“There’s only one Tammy Myers!”

“Final Four. You play another big team, USC in the round of 4. It’s La. Tech vs. Texas on the other side.”

“USC is #4 ranked, #3 RPI, 27-6. Two outstanding big kids, and a Shooting Guard who can light it up.”

“Same strategy as last game?”

“No, that won’t work. The SG will kill us. We’re going to pack it in with a combo of 2-3 and man. The three bigs stay inside. Terry and Rachel Breen, our guards play man. Rachel on the PG, Terry on the big outside scorer. We’re ready to vary it as need be but that’s where we’ll start.”

“March 29 on the UCLA campus, 9:30 game, 9:00 broadcast. See you then!”

March 23

Coach Clark, 58-52, and you’re in the Elite Eight, for the second time in program history.”

“I do like the sound of that! 17 TOs, -6, but that isn’t going to change, I’m guessing. +13 RBs. RBs and outside shooting won it. 21, 5, 3 for Shay, 17, 4, 4 for Shep.”

#11 Mississippi ST., #4 seed.”

“That’s an opportunity. #1 went out early. MS ST is a very good team though. C conf., finished in a 3 way tie for 1st in conf., upset in the 1st round by Daytona who are still alive. Won 6 of 7, 12 of last 14. 26-5, 13-3. Very balanced scoring, no one stands out at all. We think we can turn them over, and we also think we can win the inside battle. BUT, we’d better come to play.”

“We’ll be there!”

March 25

We’re back at the conclusion of the biggest win in UML men's hoops history. Coach, MS ST 60, UML 72, and we’re going to the Final Four!”

“… There are no words…”

“Our 5 starters each had between 10 and 13 points. Bry had 8, 3, Hart had 6, 4 from the bench. 12 TOs for +6, 32 RBs for +5. If we had a star it was Jay, 13, 6, 5, 4.”

“I’m sort of stunned, sorry…”

“And UML President Grace Clark just got here and gave the Coach a huge hug and a kiss. That’s probably not normally the case between a Pres. And the coach but in this case, since they’re married, it’s okay. Coach, tell us a little about the game.”

“We never trailed. We decided to switch defenses every time down court. Whoever got back first would yell a color in the first half, a fruit in the 2nd, and that would tell the guys what the D was. MS ST had a really tough time adjusting to the changing defenses.”

“Couldn’t they figure the code?”

“It was a little more complicated than I just explained and I’m not telling.”

“Cool!”

“They have a lot of balance on O so we didn’t focus on anyone, just tried to play good D. I really think taking care of the ball was a huge factor, but we did most things well.”

“#1 in the country Syracuse in the round of 4.”

“Yes, but it’s a weird year. There were no really dominant teams this year. Syracuse is only 28-6, 11-5. They were upset in the first round of the conf. A tourney. They closed strong, 9 wins in the last 10, and all of their losses were to teams ranked #12 or higher. Make no mistake this will be tough.”

“But not impossible.”

“6 teams have beaten them. If we play our best ball it could be very interesting.”

“Their Center is the best big man in the country. If not the best player he’s 2nd. They score outside. They don’t turn it over. They play solid D. They only have that one good rebounder.”

“So how do you beat them?”

“We can’t let them do the things they want to do, and we need to play smart on O and find the open man. We need to rebound. Well, we need to play really well.”

“We’ll be there, with both the men and the women- let me say it again, at the FINAL FOUR!!!”

March 29 

“Ron Dover here at the Women’s Final Four. #1 seed UML vs. #4 USC. We talked about it last week. USC has two really good big kids and a guard who can shoot the lights out. Coach Montville feels she has a strategy to deal with that, and a team that can do what needs doing. We’ll be back.”

“We’re here with Coach Peg Montville. 76-62.”

“Great win. USC played really smart basketball. They found ways to get it inside, and found ways to get it to their outside shooter. We played really good D, good enough to win, but they scared us. We were down 6 at the half and they got it 9 on the first possession of the 2nd. 

“Then it became the Terry Myers show. She made a three, got a steal, made a three, got a rebound, drove to the basket, made the layup and got fouled, then completed the old fashioned three, forced a turnover, dished to our Center who scored, and we were suddenly up 2, our first lead of the game. They hit a two, Terry got yet another 3, and on it went. We got the lead to 21. We cleared the bench at the end. Terry wound up with 30, 8, 11, 9, 3.”

“Louisiana Tech for the title.”

“We’re all excited. Leon Barmore is a great coach and he has some fine players. They’re 28-2, #2 seed, #2 RPI.”

“What do they do?”

“They win! They’re very guard oriented. They shoot a lot of threes, and a lot of midrange shots. That’s their strength and it’s a huge strength. Inside they’re only average. We really need to get it to our bigs and they need to finish.”

“But what about Tammy?”

“She’ll do what she does but this will be the best outside D she’s ever faced, and it will be the biggest challenge to her defensive game. First and foremost she can NOT get into foul trouble.”

“March 31. Game time 9:00 p.m. We’re here at 8:30.”

March 31

“Coach, I’m worn out. I can’t imagine how you must feel.”

“Ron, I can’t even think.”

“Maybe the best big time women’s basketball game ever played. It was a real defensive battle all the way, and all the way was a very long time. 76-75 in triple OT. Fittingly enough, Tammy Myers hit a 21 footer at the buzzer for the win.”

“Coach, you didn’t call a TO.”

“Coach Barmore had just called one for his last possession. We talked about how to defend, and what to do if we were behind. They hit a 2 to take a 75-73 lead with 5 seconds left, which is more time than it sounds like. Our plan was what everyone knew it would be. Get it to Tammy and let her find a way. We didn’t care if she took a 2 or a 3. As it turned out she had a contested three and she banged it home.”

“National Women’s basketball champs! Amazing!”

“Again, I’m too drained to really appreciate it right now. Don’t get me wrong, it’s beyond wonderful but my head is spinning.”

“The players are running and yelling and jumping around.”

“It’s great to be young and I couldn’t be happier for all of them.”

“The stat sheet looks very different. 37 of our 75 were scored inside by our bigs. Tammy had 21, her lowest total in the postseason. She also had 7 RBs, 13 assists, only 3 steals, 2 blocks, and 3 TOs.”

“For anyone else that would be terrific. For her it’s below average. That says a lot.”

“It also says a lot that she played the entire 55 minutes, the last 22 with 4 fouls.”

“I trusted her not to commit #5.”

“Yeah but a bad call can kill you in that situation.”

“She knew how to back off before that could happen.”

“We’ll be with Coach Montville on April 4 for awards. And once again, I have a plane to catch.”

April 1

“Ron Dover at the men’s Final Four. #6 ranked Virginia just beat #13 North Carolina. And the game between #1 in the country Syracuse and #15 UML is almost ready to start. Syracuse is an 8.5 point favorite.”

“We’re back with Coach Clark. 56-74. Coach?”

“It was a really sloppy game. They had 15 turnovers we had 21. Hate to see Shay Gann end his college career with 9 TOs but they doubled the ball a lot, with excellent defenders. Our starters all had 9, 10, or 11 points but we didn’t get much from our bench. We rebounded well, +5. A very large factors was three point shooting. They made 13, we made 6. Point wise that’s more than the final margin. We didn’t play well but a big reason for that was the fact that Syracuse had more talent. It was a great season and I’m very proud of my guys.”

“We’ll be with both of our coaches on April 4 to talk about awards.”

April 4

“Ron Dover with the coaches. First of all, Coach Clark, you were beaten by the national champions.”

“Heck of a title game, Syracuse 84, Virginia 83.”

“Coach Montville, you guys picked up some hardware.”

“We did, Terry Myers was Tournament MOP, national POY, national Defensive POY, Winner of the Norton Award, and, of course, first team All American. In conf. she got all of those things as well. Rachel Breen and our junior Center Kate Milton both made 2nd team.”

“And you got both national and conf. COY.”

“That was nice.”

“Coach Clark?”

“Nothing nationally, but in conf., Jay Son was POY and 1st team, with Shay Gann and Jim Jones. Shep Wool made 2nd team.”

“And you were conf. COY. We’ll be back at the end of the month to wrap things up with our two coaches.”

April 23

“Ron Dover with the coaches. Coach Montville, it was a magical season, 34-1, conf. title, conf. tourney title, national championship, national player and coach of the year.”

“All our dreams came through.”

“Next year?”

“We aren’t losing anyone who played more than 2-3 minutes a game and we got 2 recruits we really wanted. If we stay healthy, look out world!”

“And what did you ask the A. D. for?”

“Recruiting money. And we got $8,500. Oh, I got a raise!”

“Thanks Coach. Coach Clark. First men’s trip to the final four.”

“It was pretty magical for us, also. Congratulations to my good friend and colleague Peg Montville, incidentally. We are very happy with our season. We had some struggles, but it turned out pretty well.”

28-9, regular season conf. title, lost in the tourney title game, final four. All sorts of conf. awards. Team Prestige up to 48. What did you ask the A. D. for?”

“Recruiting money. We got a little less than Peg, $6, 750, but we had a much larger budget than she did. Oh, I got a raise, too. I am no longer the lowest paid coach in Division I!

(Laughs) “17 seasons as a head coach, all here. 441-124, .781. O- 67, D- 85, Recruit- 80, Scout- 11, Player Development- 84, Reputation- 84. You’re losing only Shay Gann. What does the future hold?”

“Shay is a big loss but we have a few guys who we think can do a good job at the Point for us. We’re moving up to F, as you said, so the challenge is there. We hope to be able to meet it.”

“Great season for UML men’s and women’s basketball. I’m Ron Dover, and I have one more season at the mike- assuming I actually pass!”

April 1980 (Forgot to do it!)

Iran hostage situation continues; attempted rescue is a cluster fu- fiasco

Sec. of State Vance resigns

May 1980

Tito dies

Smallpox eradicated worldwide…

Mount St. Helen’s blows

1st woman graduates from a U. S. service academy

June 1980

CNN begins broadcasting

Carter renominated by Dems

Richard Pryor accidentally self immolates

June 6

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk’ here at 88.1 FM, WLOW, how LOW can you GO! We spoke with Coach Clark and UML took no action regarding the transfer pool. I guess it was shallow this year.”

June 26

“Ron Dover. Coach says we have 5 scholarships. He’d like to get at least 3 guards. He’s looking at 20 recruits.”

July 1980

“O Canada” becomes official Canadian national anthem

Man with no brain receives Rep. nomination for POTUS

August 1980

Dems nominate Carter for POTUS

Solidarity movement begins in Poland

August 21

“’Sportstalk’ spoke to Coach Clark about scholarship offers. They will go out early next month.”

September 1980

Military coup in Turkey

United Negro College Fund begins

Bob Marley’s last concert

Cosmos premieres

September 4

“Ron Dover. We’ve learned that UML has offered to 3 guards and 2 bigs.

September 18

“Ron Dover with Coach Clark. Coach, two commitments.”

“Yes, an SG and an SF. We feel we have a good chance with each of the other three.”

“Schedule?”

“No in season tourney this year. All good teams, a few ranked.”

September 25

“’Sportstalk’ has learned that UML has commitments from 2 PGs. Still working on a C.

October 1980

I got nuthin’

October 2

“Ron Dover. First day of practice. Coach Clark says he has some returnees and some good looking newcomers.

“UML is picked 2nd to Butler in conf. F. This looks like a tough conf.”

October 9

“Ron Dover. The 5th recruit, a Center, committed.

November 1980

Carter loses election for POTUS

Sadaharu Oh retires

November 6

“Ron Dover with Coach Clark. Coach, tell us about the lineup.”

“Seniors John Bry and Shep Wool start at guard. Soph Dan Nunn and frosh Shay Ayer have both looked good at guard so they’ll share backup duties, at least at first.

“Up front it’s Jr. Jake Bull, a transfer from UMass, at SF, Soph Kim Chan back at PF, and Jr. Jay Son back at C. Jim Jones will back up at 3, 4, and 5.”

“For the first time in a lot of years you are NOT picked to win the conf.”

“We’re up in the high brackets. I expect it’s going to be challenging. If we continue to move up it will become more and more challenging.”

Coach Peg Montville says she is confident that if her team stays healthy they will do very well this year. The team is led by returning national player of the year Tammy Myers, a junior, SG Rachel Breen also a junior, and soph Center Kate Milton. Coach Montville says she has 6 others she feels can all play a significant role.

“We’re ready for the 1980-’81 season to begin!”

November 20

“Ron Dover with the Sunday wrap. 2 home games to start the season. 73-56 over UNLV, from E conf. 18 each fro guards Wool and Bry, 13 each for Son and Bull, 9 and 12 for Chan. Weird game. We had a truly horrible 26 TOs, but we were +27 on the boards.

79-57 over UConn from C. 19, 11, 3 for Jay, 18, 4, 3 for Shep, 12, 4 for Kim, good bench play. 16 TOs, too many but much better. +18 on the boards. Rebounding isn’t a problem so far!

On the road this week. At Oklahoma ST and #14 LSU.

November 27

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk.’ We have Coach Clark on the phone. 74-66 over OK ST there.”

“All 5 starters had between 10 and 15 points, 5 and 9 RBs, 2 and 5 assists. Kind of the definition of team play. We had 12 TOs and 37 RBs. This may have been the best all around game we’ve played so far.”

Different story at #14 LSU, 50-68.”

“They’re a good team. We went back up to 18 TOs, and we only shot 33.3%, mostly good to very good D on their part. They use 11 guys so they always have fresh legs. We could have played better, but they really played well.”

“Two ranked teams at home this week.”

“It could be a very challenging week. #9 Maryland, from A, is 4-1, and #24 Va. Tech, C conf., is 4-0. 

December 1980

John Lennon shot and killed

December 4

“Ron Dover with Coach Clark. What a week!”

“To be sure. 63-59 over #9 Maryland. We scored the last 6 points, and 11 of the last 14. It was another of those “balance” games. No one stood out but everyone played a part. We had a season low 7 TOs, which was a huge factor, and 35 RBs. This was a big win.”

“But that’s not all.”

“No, 79-75 in OT over #24 Va. Tech. Again, 5 starters in double figures, 21 and 7 for Jake Bull, 20, 3, 6 for John Bry, 12, 16 for Jay, 10 and 10 for Kim. 12 TOs, 42 RBs. John hit two free throws at the end of regulation to get us to OT, then Jake Bull had 8 of our 15 in OT.”

“I thought this would get you into the top 25.”

RPI is 7, so we have to be close.”

“At home with 3-3 Wisconsin from C, and 2-3, D conf., Western KY this week.”

“If the guys stay focused and play hard we should be okay.”

December 11

“’Sportstalk’ and we’re back from break. Coach Clark, another 2 win week.”

“71-59 over Wisconsin. Even though they never led they stayed with us for a long time. Their SF really lit us up. But John Bry matched him with 24, 3, 4, and Kim Chan had 19, 5, 2, 2. 14 Tos, more than I like.”

“But +4. Then 74-67 Western KY.”

“They really gave us a tough time, leading by as many as 19. We got it to 7 at the half, but never led until 2 ½ minute were left. This was another team effort and special praise to the bench, Jim Jones and Shay Ayer really played well in key situations. 10 TOs.”

“What do you say to your players when your down 19.”

“It depends on the situation. In this case I really felt like we were the better team. Since it was fairly early in the game we had time. I told them to take it one possession at a time, to keep their focus on D, and to find the open man on O. We changed up the D to stop the outside shot, and that really made on difference. On O we’d been rushing because we were behind. When we slowed down we started making good things happen.

“One game this week, at 6-2 UMass from D.”

“They’re playing really well, especially at home. Three straight one game weeks, all on the road. UMass is an easy road trip but the next two are in California.”

You’re ranked #23. +7.0 PPG, +8.1 RBs, -2.0 TOs but getting better.”

“It will take some time to absorb that 26 TO game we started the season with. Take that out of the equation and we’re about 12.7, not where I want it, but close.”

“Thanks Coach.”

December 18

“Ron Dover on ‘Sportstalk.’ Sunday night wrap up and we have a guest. First, a tough trip to UMass, 66-77. We haven’t spoken with Coach Clark but I have no doubt he’d be most upset about the 18 TOs, and next most upset about shooting only 34.8%. It was not a great night. 

“The team came home for a few days, UMass is just a bus ride, but they’ll be in California for the next 9-10 days. This week it’s 2-6 UCLA, from E. 

We’re here with Peg Montville, coach of the 8-0, #1 in the nation lady River Hawks. Coach, you guys are rolling along!”

“So far so good, Ron.”

“You’re not dodging anyone. You’ve played #3, 5, 6, 9, 12, and 19 so far.”

“#2, 8, 13 still to come before we go to conf. play. I wanted us to play good teams, even if it meant losing some games. Our conf. is frankly, not very strong. I don’t want us going to the post season not having faced this kind of opposition.”

“Will it hurt that you won’t have played a ranked team in better than three months when it comes to the NCAA tourney?”

“We don’t want to get ahead of ourselves. There are some good teams in our conf., just not many, and none are ranked. We aren’t assuming anything. I try to plan ahead but to keep focus on the next game. Believe me when my kids lose that focus practices become very exhausting.”

“Tammy’s numbers are down this year.”

“First, she’s very unselfish. Second, we’ve managed to put together a great supporting cast for her. She doesn’t need to do it alone. Third, her points are down but her assists, steals, and rebounds are all up.”

“Thanks Coach. Keep it going!”

December 25

“Ron Dover. Hope you had a happy. 74-64 at UCLA. UML took an early lead and hung on. UCLA never led after the first 5 min. 17, 5, 3 for Shay Ayer from the bench in only 24 min. Shep got in foul trouble and Shay answered the call. 19 for John Bry. The only negative was 15 TOs.

“We’re 8-2 with one to go before conf. play begins. Stanford is tough, 7-3 against good competition, and they’re from B.”

January 1981

FCC removes limits on # of TV commercials per hour.

Iran-Contra (Didn’t take long for the most corrupt administration in U. S. history to start)

In a related matter, 1st Richard Nixon museum opens

In another related matter, William J. Casey appointed CIA director

Mao’s widow sentenced to death

January 1, 1981

“Ron Dover back from break. 64-76 at Stanford. Coach Clark?”

“We jumped out to an early lead and ran it to 22 in what felt like no time at all. After that it was just play it out. They never got it to single digits. We played 8 guys. They all scored between 4 and 14. 15 TOs, so we still haven’t solved that problem. 36 RBs.

“And conf. play starts.”

“A lot of teams won a lot of pre-conf. games. This could be interesting.”

“6-5 Albany here, and then 5-6 Wagner there this week. See you next Sunday, Coach.”

January 8

“Coach, the week started well.”

“It did, 87-61 over Albany. Jay had 13, 12, 6, but 8 guys played and all 8 played well.”

“And then you went to Wagner.”

“Ugh. 42-55. 26.5% shooting, 3-19 on threes. When you give up 55 you should win. 17 TOs didn’t help either.”

“So what do you do when this happens?”

“I don’t know that there’s a good answer, but I’m not even going to mention it. We need to fix the TO problem so we’ll work on that, but otherwise? Just prepare for the next game.”

“And that’s against 5-8, 1-1 Butler, at home. Then it’s 9-4, 1-1 Duquesne, there.”

January 15

“Ron Dover here with the Sunday night wrap up, and we have a guest. First though, 60-53 over Butler. These guys were predicted to win the conf. and they haven’t played well. Coach said he knew they were good though, and they showed it. 14, 10 for Jake Bull. John Bry was in foul trouble all night and only played 18 min. Shay Ayer didn’t have it tonight and wasn’t effect in the backup role. TOs remain an issue, 14 tonight.

83-65 at Duquesne. 14 TOs again but otherwise we played really well. 19, 2, 7, 2 for John, 17, 7, 4, 1, 2 for Shep, 15, 4 for Jake, 10, 7, 3, 2 for Jay. 21 assists on 32 buckets, which is pretty darn good.

“We’re in a 4 way tie for 2nd, 1 back of Penn. ST.

“This week 9-6, 1-3 Utah ST here, and then we’re at 1st place Penn ST, 9-6, 4-0.

“And we are honored to have with us this evening, the President of UML, Dr. Grace Clark.”

“Hi Ron, nice to speak with you again.”

“We like to have Pres. Clark here every January to give us the state of the university.”

“Things are good, Ron. We’ve been steadily expanding and improving. Three new buildings going up, Business School, Education, and Science.”

“Yes, lots of construction on campus.”

“We really had no choice. Student population has been climbing quickly and we need the space. We aren’t closing any buildings though. They will be used for other things.”

“You mentioned expanding enrollment.”

“Yes. We accept all in state applicants. That’s part of our mission. We have higher standards for out of state and international students but we try to accept all qualified. I think partly because of the success of our basketball teams we’re getting better known. That leads to more applications, and usually better applicants, assuming one can actually measure that.”

“What’s coming up for UML?”

“We’re hiring some really good people, researchers as well as teachers though we’re more a teaching university than a research school. We want to raise the standards and expand and improve in that area.”

“Sounds like a bright future ahead for UMass Lowell!”

“That’s the goal!”

January 22

“Ron Dover with the wrap up. 67-54 over Utah ST here. A solid team effort and only 9 TOs.

63-69 at Penn ST. As seems to happen every time we lose, we didn’t shoot well, 37.9%. We took 14 more shots and lost. That shouldn’t happen. Jay had 18, 9, 3, Shep had 20, 4, 4.

One game back but 2 teams ahead of us, 3 tied with us, 5 one back of us.”

“This week it’s 9-8, 4-2 Rhode Island here, then at 9-8, 4-2 Nebraska.”

January 29

“Ron Dover with Coach Clark. 81-56 over URI here.”

“19 each for Wool and Bry, 14, 9, 3, 2 for Jay. 9 TOs.

“And then we went on the road.”

68-71 at Nebraska. We blew an 11 point lead. We missed our last 8 shots. Up to that point it was looking really good. We let them shoot 51.9%, and that’s never good. 25, 9 for Jay, and only 11 TOs.”

“This week it’s 6-13, 1-7  UTEP at home, then 6-13, 2-6 Houston, there. Coach, we’re 10-0 at home, 3-6 on the road. 13-6, 5-3 overall.”

“Most teams play better at home but we need to do better on the road. Sometimes it’s a mindset. Hopefully we can do better.”

February 1981

I got nuthin’

February 5

“Ron Dover, and we have Coach Clark on the line. Coach, a 2 win week and we’re tied for 1st place.”

“It’s still totally jammed up though. 4 teams tied for 1st, 3 more one back, and another 3 are 2 back. We’ll take it though.”

“67-44 over UTEP here.”

“20, 7, 3, 4 for Kim Chan. Great work from 7 other guys, and 9 TOs.”

On the road and a 57-47 win in Houston.”

“It’s nice to get a road win. We played really good D in this one. 15, 4, 5 for John Bry, but another team effort. 12 TOs, +7 RBs.”

“TOs are coming down.”

“They are, 13.3. And for the first round we’re ahead of our opponents who get 13.6 against us. +6.8 PPG, and +4.5 RBs.”

“2 at home this week, 14-7, 6-4 Texas Crispy, and 8-13, 5-5 Nevada.”

“These two are vital. We need to keep winning at home.”

February 12

“Ron Dover here and Coach Clark is on the road. The week started with a big disappointment, 61-77 vs. Texas Crispy here. Shooting percentages tell the whole story: Them- 60%, 68.8% on threes. Us- 33.9%, 30.8% on threes. We didn’t play D, and we couldn’t make shots. Fouls were also an issue, particularly as it regards our D, three of our starters wound up with 4 fouls, and the other 2 had three. All played limited minutes. Coach got a technical.

“Then we beat Nevada 70-63. 29, 5, 3 for Shep to lead the way.

“We’re still tied for 2nd place, one back. 2 tied for first, 3 of us tied for 2nd, 2 more tied for 3rd, all one game apart. 3 of our last 4 are on the road, which is not good, considering how we’ve played away from home.

“This week we’re at 13-10, 7-5 Fresno ST, and 9-14, 3-9 Albany.”

February 19

“Ron Dover with the Sunday wrap up. First the lady River Hawks are still undefeated, 23-0, and still #1 in the country.

“Any hopes that the UML men had of winning the conf. disappeared when they lost 60-69 at Fresno ST. They were up 10 at the half, and up 14 early in the 2nd when the roof fell in. Jay and Shep both picked up foul #4 with about 16 left to play and that was that. From that point on we were outscored 21-44. Fresno ST shot 63% for the 2nd half.

“It was a happier night, 68-55, at Albany. 17, 9 for Jay, good play all around.

“We are in a 2 way tie for 4th, 1 back of Wichita ST, 2 back of Nebraska and Princeton.

“We end the regular season with 10-15, 5-9 Wagner at home, and 12-13, 8-6 Butler on the road.”

February 26

“Ron Dover, and Coach Clark is on the phone. 77-64 over Wagner.”

“We played well, a season low 6 TOs. Jay had 20, 9, 2, 3.”

“And then you went on the road again.”

56-59 at Butler. We just haven’t played well on the road all season. We blew a 10 point lead in this one.”

“A little tough luck at the end.”

“No question, but we shouldn’t have put ourselves in that position.”

“Have you climbed as high as you can climb?”

“It’s possible, but I’m not convinced. We can still move up to conf. E by getting to the semifinal round of the tourney, which is attainable. Even if we don’t, there’s always next year.”

You finished alone in fifth. You have some time off but you’ll play #12 seed Wagner, 11-16, 6-10, in the play in round.”

“They won by 13 there, we won by 13 at home last week. If we play our game we can beat them. It’s that simple.”

“We’ll be there. The women finished the regular season, 25-0, #1 ranked, #1 RPI.”

March 1981

Walter Cronkite’s last broadcast as CBS anchor.

POTUS shot

March 6

“Ron Dover here with Coach Clark. 79-59 over Wagner.

“We were focused tonight. 12 TOs, 34 RBs, every starter in double figures, good bench play.”

#4 seed, 18-9, 11-5 Wichita ST in the quarter finals.”

“We didn’t play them in the regular season. They are definitely a good inside team. We think we can turn them over, and dominate outside, but we need to at least match them inside. I like our front line so I like our chances.”

March 7

Ron Dover here with Coach Clark after the Wichita ST/UML quarter final round game. 86-79 and a trip to the semis, but terrible news.”

“Jay Son broke his ankle early in the first half. He’s out for the season.”

“What does that mean for UML?”

“These things happen. We’re thin up front, have been all season. Having said that, we got exactly 8 minutes out of Jay tonight and yet we found a way. Jim Jones was 13, 7, 6, and Shay Ayer 8, 1, 2, 2 in relief. We’ll use both of those guys, and Dan Nunn will also get extra minutes. Make no mistake, this makes life difficult for us, but again, it’s part of the game.”

“10 TOs, 20, 10 for Kim Chan. Only one favorite reached the semis, 22-8, 13-3, first place Princeton. And that’s who we play.”

“Their SF broke his leg last week so we’re both down a starter. They have a very strong PF, and they can score both inside and out. I really think we’re the better team. If we can adjust to not having our big guy we’ll be fine. You win with what you’ve got, and that’s what we’ll try to do.”

March 8

“Ron Dover. Coach Clark, 77-63 over #1 seed Princeton.”

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of my guys. Kim Chan had 13, 11, 3, 3 playing Center, in place of Jay. 19 for Shep, 11 each for John and Jake, 8, 3, 2 for Jim Jones in his first start. Dan and Shay did a great job from the bench. We shot the lights out, 52.9%, 12-23 on threes.”

“And strangely enough, going small you were +7 on the boards, and 3- on TOs.”

“I can only shake my head regarding TOs, but we definitely rebounded well. And we held a very good PF to 9, 1, 3.”

“Did winning this game get you into the NCAA tourney?”

“Tough call. I’d say we’re borderline.”

“#11 seed, 14-16, 6-10 Rhode Island for the title.”

“Upset city in this tourney. We won by 25 at our place. They were really playing lousy basketball just before the tournament started but they seemed to catch fire, as we did. Let’s see who’s hotter.”

“We’ll be at courtside to find out.”

March 9

“Ron Dover here after the conf. F title game between UML and URI. This one was almost too weird for words, 55-… get this, 27! Coach they got 7 points in the first half. How do you do that to a team?”

“Well, part of it was certainly us, but they couldn’t make a shot, 2-22, 1-12 on threes, 1-2 from the line. Whew! They were better in the 2nd but it was too late.”

“Talk about tourney MOP Kim Chan.”

“10 and 17 playing out of position. That’s incredible. In the last two games, after Jay got hurt, Kim just put us on his back and carried us to the title. He got some help, all of our guys played well. But he was the man.”

“12 TOs, 42 RBs.”

“No idea. Our best rebounder is out and we rebound like the Celtics.”

“What does this do for NCAA seeding?”

“Well, it gets us in, for one thing. I’d guess maybe a 7, more or less. Oh, the Lady River Hawks won their tourney. They are now 29-0, and figure to be #1 over all in the women’s tourney.

March 12

“Ron Dover with the teams and the coaches for the selection show. In the final poll the men are #21, RPI #27. The women are #1, #1.

“Here we go, starting with the men…

“Not in the East.

“#6 in the Midwest. We play, of all people, Princeton, 22-9. Coach?”

“Strange. We just beat them by 14. Guess we’ll need to try to do it again.”

“Okay, here we go with the women’s selections.

“#1 in the East, as expected. Coach?”

“No mystery. The #2 team in the country has 6 losses against weaker competition than we played.”

“Stay healthy, Coach. It’s going to be tough for anyone to beat you if you do.”

“We need to stay humble, too. If we get cocky we could go down.”

“We’ll be here for the men and the women, as long as they’re playing.”

March 13

“Ron Dover here after the game. The lady River Hawks beat #16 seed NJIT 88-39 behind 42, 11, 12, 12 for Terry Myers. She also had 7 blocks.”

March 15

“The UML lady River Hawks beat #9 seed North Carolina A & T 87-43. 33, 9, 15, 7, 7 for Terry Myers.”

March 16

“Ron Dover here after the 1st round men’s NCAA game between Princeton and UML.77-61. Coach?”

“The beat goes on. 7 TOs, +5 on the boards. 19, 10, 3, 3 for Kim, who continues to be an immense presence. % in double figures including Shay and Dan from the bench.”

“And it’s #17 ranked, #3 seed, 19-10 Michigan, from A conf. next.”

“That could be a reality check! They can play. We need to take care of the ball and take it away from them. They are much stronger inside than out so we need to take advantage of that. It won’t be easy, but it’s possible.”

March 18

“Ron Dover here with Coach Clark. The incredible UML men’s hoop team is going to the Sweet Sixteen, 71-62 over #3 seed Michigan. Coach?”

“Incredible is the word! Kim Chan carried us again, 20, 8, 5, 2. 11 each for John and Jake, very good play from the bench. 19 TOs, but they had 17. +13 on the boards.”

“#2 seed, #3 ranked Wake Forest, 25-8, from A conf.”

“This is a tall order. They only have one rebounder but he’s excellent. They can be a little shaky with the ball. They play good D and they can score from all 5 positions. We’ll give it our best shot and see what happens.”

March 20

“Ron Dover here after the UML ladies beat Drexel in the Sweet Sixteen. It was 91-48. Terry Myers had 39, 11, 12, 7, 5. It’s Louisiana Tech in the Elite Eight.”

March 22

“Ron Dover with Coach Montville of the lady River Hawks. 78-52 over La. Tech, and you’re in the Final Four.”

“It’s a great feeling. They doubled Terry all night but she still managed 29, 11, 11, 7, 4. She’s amazing.”

“And your big kids did the job.”

“Coach Leon Barmore is noted for having great inside players. We managed to win the board war 36-30.”

“USC, 25-8.”

“They have some great ball handlers and outside shooter. We beat them 72-54 in the regular season, but they seem to have gotten better since then. We’ll need to play well.”

“We’ll be there on March 31.”

March 23

“Ron Dover here after the Sweet Sixteen men's game between UML and Wake Forest. Coach, 47-67. It was a great ride.”

“You know, we were okay, but just okay during the reguilar season, but we really played well in the post season.”

“And tonight?”

“Tonight we were overmatched. This was a very good team, and they showed it. We did great on the boards again, +9, but 22 TOs, mostly due to some excellent pressure.”

“We’ll be back with the awards on April 4, and join us for the UML women’s game on the 31st.”

March 31

“Ron Dover here with Coach Montville. UML women 77, USC 49.”

“Terry was doubled again but she can’t be stopped, 30, 10, 15, 8, 4.”

“#6 seed ODU for the title.”

“We beat them 92-41 in December.”

“One win away from 35-0 and back to back national titles.”

“We need to keep our focus and do the things we do.”

April 1981

Race riots in London

IBM-PC introduced

April 2

Ron Dover here with Coach Peg Montville of the national champion UML women’s basketball team. A little easier this year.”

“That triple overtime title game last year is something I’ll never forget. 81-47 over ODU was much easier on my nerves.”

“38, 8, 12, 8, 7 for Terry.”

“She’s one of a kind. Probably the nest player in women’s basketball history.”

“And you have her for one more season.”

April 4

“Ron Dover here. The awards have been given out. First though, Coach Clark, a 1, 4, 5, and a 7 seed in the final four.”

“A lot of favorites went out early. In the end #1 ranked Duke beat #19 Arizona for the title.”

“Okay, awards. Coach Clark, you were conf. F COY.”

“Which I do not understand. The awards are based on the regular season and are voted on before the post season. Weird.”

Seniors Shep Wool and John Bry made first team along with junior Jay Son.”

“That made me happy.”

“And Jake Bull and Kim Chan made 2nd team.”

“I guess they just really liked us.”

Pretty good haul at the national level.”

“We had a great season.”

Coach Montville, Terry Myers was POY, Defensive POY, tourney MOP, 1st team. You got COY.

“In conf. Terry won the same awards. Center Kate Milton made 1st team, as did Rachel Breen.”

April 23

“Ron Dover here for my last broadcast. We’ll wrap up the season. Coach Montville, back to back national titles, an undefeated season, 69-1 for the last two seasons, and a 57 game winning streak.

How do you follow that?”

“Well, nobody’s graduating. If we stay healthy and stay focused we have a great chance to do it again.”

“That would be great! And did you ask for a budget increase?”

“We did, and we got $7,500.”

Coach Clark, did you ask for money as well?”

“Yes, Ron. We got $6,750.

“Coach, 24-10, 10-6, F conf. tourney champs, Sweet Sixteen. 465-134, .776. Off-71, Def-85,  Recruit- 80, Scout-11, Player Development- 84, Reputation- 88. Great numbers.”

“I’ve really enjoyed my 18 seasons here at UML. Hope to be here for many more.”

“That would be terrific. I’m Ron Dover and for me it’s all over. Next season our first female ‘Sportstalk’ host, or maybe hostess, Betty Winns. So long.”

May 1981

Radio Shack releases TRS DOS 1.3

Billie Jean King becomes 1st prominent athlete to come out

June 1981

Sandra Day O’Connor 1st woman on SCOTUS

Microsoft incorporates in Washington State

Chinese Communist Party condemns Mao’s policies

June 6

“Betty Winns here on ‘Sportstalk.’ Coach Clark reports that the draft pool is thin. On to recruiting.”

June 26

“Betty Winns here. The UML men’s team needs bigs. Coach Clark says he is looking at 11, 4 PGs, 5 PFs, 2 Cs.”

July 1981

Nuttin’

August 1981

MTV premieres

Evil monster POTUS fires 11,500 air traffic controllers

Highest score in World Cup history: New Zealand 13-Fiji 0

August 7

“’Sportstalk has just learned that UML SF Jake Bull is #49 on the Norton list.”

August 21

“Betty Winns here with Coach Clark on the line. Coach, you have a handful of scholarships. Have you made any offer?”

“Just two, Betty, one PG and on PF. We’re waiting to offer the other three.”

September 1981

Wapner

“Guernica” returned to Spain

September 18

“Betty Winns on ‘Sportstalk’ with Coach Clark. Offers?”

“We’ve offered to 2 PGs and 3 PFs. 2 PFs and a PG have committed.

“And the schedule?”

“No in season tourney, which is disappointing. Lots of home games though, and 5 ranked teams, 3 at home.”

October 1981

Anwar Sadat assassinated

National debt hits 1 trillion

October 2

“Coach, do we have all of our recruits?’

“We have three bigs and a PG. Still one to fill. We’d like to get a guard, but no hurry.”

“1st day of practice.”

“I think I’m going to like this team. I have 8 guys I can play in any situation.”

November 1981

Stamp goes up from $.18 to $.20.

November 6

“Betty Winns here with Coach Clark. Coach, do we have a lineup?”

“Junior Dan Nunn and freshman Adam Hoke at guard. Senior Jake Bull back at SF. Junior Kim Chan and senior Jay Son returning as our inside starters. First off the bench will be senior Jim Jones. Subbing at guard are junior Juco Herb Hart and sophomore Shay Ayer.” I like this set up and I think we’ll do well.”

“You’re up to E conf.”

“Some great programs up here- UCLA, Illinois, FL ST, several others. We’ll need to work for what we get.”

“Good luck, Coach.

“The lady River Hawks will start the same five that won the last two national titles, but it’s the last season for Terry Myers, who may be the best woman college player ever, as well as for Center Kate Milton, who has been all conference twice.”

November 20

“UML started with VA Tech from conf. C, and Colorado, from F, at home.

63-70 vs. VA Tech. 20 TOs, 8 of them by Norton lister Jake Bull. 20, 5, 4 for Jay Son, 21, 3, 3 for Dan Nunn, but he fouled out with 7 minutes left and that about did us in. The score was tied at that point.

“The team did better against Colorado, 77-64. Only 9 TOs, 42 RBs. 4 starters in double figures 19, 4 for Jake, 17, 4, 3 for Dan, 10 and 13 for both Jay and Kim Chan.

“Adam Hoke is off to a very slow start. Coach Clark recognizes that Adam is a freshman and may need a bit of time to get his game up to this level.

“This week two more at home, #1 ranked Texas, 4-0, then 2-1 Clemson, B conf.”

November 27

“Betty Winns on ‘Sportstalk.’ Coach Clark, how does it feel to beat the #1 team in the country?”

“It feels pretty darn good, Betty.”

71-69 over #1 Texas. Tell us about it.”

“It didn’t look like it was going to happen at first. They were all over us early, building a 17 point lead. I had to use three time outs in the first half. Finally, we found a defensive alignment that stopped the three. They hit 9 in the first ten minutes. It meant they got a few more points inside, but it was worth the trade off. They only made three more threes for the rest of the game. Adam Hoke was in foul trouble all night, only played 15 minutes. He continues to struggle. Jake Bull led us with 21 and 8, and Dan Nunn had 22. 8 and 9 for Kim, 89 and 5 for Jay. Jim Jones played well from the bench and Herb Hart played good D from the bench. At the end Jake Bull started a driving layup, fooled everyone halfway there by stopping and throwing up a 10 footer that went in to decide it. It was pandemonium when the horn went. Our fans stormed the court. Totally appropriate!”

“Then it was 72-60 over Clemson.”

“17, 6 for Jay, 21, 2, 2 for Dan. Adam Hoke gave us 5, 6, 5. We only had 11 TOs.”

“2-1 Gonegaga form D conf., and #11 Stan James, 3-1 from A, both at home this week. It’s nice to have all these home games”

“It will probably kill us with next year’s schedule but yes, it is definitely nice!”

December 1981

Nothin’

December 4

“A 1-1 week for UML. We beat Gonegaga 70-38. 13 1n3 for Jay but 6 guys had between 8 and 13 points. 40 RBs, 11 TOs. Jim Jones strained a calf. Day to day.

#Then #11 ranked Stan Jones beat us 50-69. 22 TOs resulted in -17 shots. Rookie Adam Hoke had 17, but also had 9 TOs.

“We finally go on the road for two this week. First is tough #18 Oregon, 4-2, from A, then 3-1 UTEP from G.”

The UML women are  6-0.”

December 11

“Sunday night wrap up with Betty Wiins. 57-66 at #18 Oregon. 24, 12, 2, 4, 1 for Jay, but 21 TOs really hurt. We were great on the boards, +18. Coach said that we simply aren’t getting enough at the 2 and 3 spots.

“The it was 78-59 at UTEP. Jake Bullr responded to Coach’s challenge with 18 and 12, and Herb Hart got 22 minutes at SG and had 8, 7, 3. Herb will start at 2 for now.

“A one game week. Instate rival UMass, 4-4, comes here.”

December 18

71-46 over UMass. Betty Winns with the Sunday wrap up. Great balance on O. Jake Bull led the way with 16, 11, 2, 2.  Herb Hart, in his first start, had 9, 3, 4 with only 1 TO. Jim Jones had 13, 6 from the bench. 10 TOs, 39 RBs.

“Tough road game this week, #16 Louisville, 7-3 from B.”

December 25

“A 71-68 upset at #16 Louisville. 38 RBs, 10 TOs. We were up 14 with 8 minutes to go. Louisville mounted a great comeback but the final was as close as it got. They missed a 28 footer at the buzzer. Good play all around. Coach Clark had lots of praise for sub forward Jim Jones, who has been playing well.

“We close the pre-conf. schedule with Pitt, 6-4 from C, here.”

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this