Sign in to follow this  
Wayne23

The Blade [a DDSCB3 story]

January 1

Happy 2001!

January 23

At the halfway point in conference play we are 9-10, 4-5. Those 15 wins? They aren’t going to happen. Our biggest problem is our inside game. We don’t have one, at least as far as rebounding is concerned. No improvement in my relationship with “Biggie” and no help from the university administration. Those red eye flights are a big reason why we’re playing so poorly on the road.

February 26

We end the regular season 13-15, 8-10, tied for 6th. RPI 268.

March 9

We play last place Central FL in the qualifying round. 67-50.

March 10

Memphis is up in the round of 8. They won in OT the first time but they crushed us the 2nd time. 63-72. That will undoubtedly end our season.

March 12

As expected, no invitation. We’ll look at the roster to see if we want to make any late moves.

April 4

We did make a couple of roster moves. Mai and I go to the final four.  The situation at Tulane never got any better so we hoped to make some good contacts that will lead to offers. The contacts were definitely made. Oregon won the title.

Awards: I sort of thought we would be shut out but Del Bank and Stew Seal both made 2nd team.

April 9

Offers: One real good one, Wisconsin. Mai and I are going to visit.

April 12

We applied. We got the job. I flew out immediately. Mai needs to clean up some projects and she will not join me until early May when she starts here. The physics department definitely wanted her and she has a contract.

The press conference was not pretty when the questions about why I was leaving after only one year came up. I was careful. I simply stated that Tulane didn’t turn out to be a good fit and I didn’t feel that I could be successful there. Further questions on the topic got only, “No comment.” The fact that Tulane has run through four head basketball coaches in seven years did not come up.

I kept the #3 assistant, promoting him to #1. I found two great assistants to fill out the staff.

I hit it off with my new A. D., Mike Lyle right from the start. He too was a football guy but he made it clear that he would support the basketball program in every way possible. I asked for a facilities upgrade.

“Blade, it’s just not in the budget.  Look, I’ll make sure the money’s there next year.”

I believe him!

Not a good year but my numbers are: 203-107, .655. Off- 33, Def- 53, Recruit- 90, Scout- 42, Player Development- 43, Reputation- 38. Hoping for a great year with this new start.

May 1

We managed a quick trip to see Papa Joe and Mama Li, and then to see my folks. It was nice.

June 12

We were able to pick up what looks like a really good transfer SG.

July 14

A lot has happened. Matt Yoke is doing a great job as my recruiting coach. He has some talented kids talking with us.

Mai says she’s very happy in her new position here and really likes the people she’s working with. Of course everyone loves her as soon as they meet her.

September 18

We’re in the JAG Holiday Tournament. Schedule may be a bit soft. We’ll see.

Babies. I want them. Mai isn’t so sure.

“I want children, Blade, but I also want my career.”

“I’m not asking you to give up your career.”

“But babies need care.”

“Lots of people find really good day care for their babies, and they keep working.”

“That is not our way in Thailand.”

“Mai, this isn’t Thailand.”

“No, but my parents would be shocked by this.”

We decided to think it over and talk it over for awhile.

We’re picked to finish 8th in our 14 team conference. One of our goals is to finish in the top half. We’ll see.

November 6

A lot has happened. Exhibition games left me more puzzled than anything else. I’m fairly certain about SG, SF and PF, but PG and C are up for grabs, as is sub time, and 2, 3, 4 are not rock solid. Our first few games will tell us a lot and they will undoubtedly lead to some lineup changes.

Oh, Mai is pregnant. It seems fate has taken a hand. We both want the baby. We’ll deal with the other things later, but we are discussing them regularly. 

Papa Joe is talking about selling his business, moving here, starting a restaurant here with Dani, and having Mama Li help out with child care. I told him that who knows how long we’ll be here. He asked if it would be at least two years. I said it will very likely be 2-3 years at the very least but there are no guarantees. I think he’ll sell and move here. Again, time will tell.

November 20

Two wins in week one and we’re ranked! #24. Not sure we’re that good, actually, but we beat two quality opponents-  at home.

Papa Joe has his business for sale and he’s flying our here to Madison to see what’s available. He is way wealthier than I thought. The restaurant in Bangkok is a goldmine, and he’s owned it for 25 years. He built it from scratch and it is THE place to go in Bangkok. It’s always full. He pays his brother very well for running it and still takes a huge profit back with him every month when he goes to Thailand. Actually, he has most of his money in Europe, Swiss bank accounts, investments and the like. He says he is very diversified. I asked why he works so hard here and he said he loves it. No argument, since I work as hard as he does because… I love it!

All 5 recruits signed. We may make a move for one more big guy in the spring. Remains to be seen.

December 4

We’ve made several adjustments, and a few more are possible. We’re 4-2, losing to 2 ranked teams on the road. We’re doing better than I had anticipated, all in all.

Mai is having no health problems. The baby is due at the end of June.

Papa Joe decided to open a Thai style restaurant just off campus. It will feature every kind of middle Eastern and Asian food imaginable in buffet style. Not so sure how the midwestern “meat and potato” folks will react but he is optimistic.  His restaurant and other properties in Toledo are for sale and he thinks he has a buyer. He has already bought the property here, and there will eventually be the restaurant and three houses. I told him we would definitely be moving again.

“I make money when we sell, Alvin. By then restaurant will be very successful.”

Who am I to argue?

He did say he hopes our next stop will be the destination school. So do I!

December 21

Just beat #20 Gonzaga at their place. 7-2. Heading for the JAG tourney. Two more minor lineup adjustments. I think we’re finished with lineup tweaks.

Renovations to the building Papa Joe bought have begun. He hopes to open the restaurant in May. I think that’s optimistic.

December 25

Mai came with me to the JAG and we had a great tournament. We met #1 seed Texas in the final and beat them by 19. We flew to Albany 10-2 with one to play before conference play began. We’re doing way better than I had thought we would. We play 8 guys and all of them contribute. Different guys seem to do it on different nights.

January 1, 2002

I guess we were due for a bad night and we had it in Albany. Still, we wound up 10-3 in preconference play.

January 29

14-7, 4-4 at the halfway point of conference play. 5 teams ahead of us, 5 behind us, and tied with the other 3. I’m actually pretty happy with that.

Papa Joe sold his properties in Toledo. It’s official. He will move here sometime in mid-February, with Mama Li and Dani, of course. He will act as a sort of “clerk of the works” on the renovation of the building that will be his new restaurant, and Dani will keep an eye on the construction of the three houses. It will be great to have them here. I’m one of those strange people who really likes the family he married into.

Mai remains perfectly healthy and she is still working full time. She says she plans to do so until the baby is born. With Mama Li in charge of child care Mai hopes to go back to work halftime a month after the baby is born, and then full time a month after that.

February 12

4 to play. We’re 17-8, 7-5, in a 5 way tie for 3rd. 2 teams 1 back of us.

February 19

18-9, 8-6, alone in 5th. 2 teams one ahead of us and 4 teams one back of us with 2 to play.

Papa Joe, Mama Li and Dani are here. We had a great evening with them last night. 

February 26

19-10, 9-7, RPI #22, tied for 5th heading to the post season. This insures that we will meet all of our goals and frankly, it far exceeds my expectations. I couldn’t be happier.

March 9

Iowa in the quarter finals. Beat them by 3 at our place so it should be a challenge.

62-47. We played well. Starting SF got hurt- abdominals, about two weeks. His back up has been playing better so that’s not a big issue but it does make the bench short.

#23 Purdue, 4th seed, is next. We won by 2 in OT at our place.

March 10

71-62! #3 in the country Michigan in the semifinals. A tall order! They beat us by 16 and 19 in the regular season.

March 11

54-70. Now to see where we’ll go and how high.

March 12

Michigan won the tourney. 

#6 West. We’ll play #11 UNC Asheville.

March 17

The whole family came to Phoenix.

57-42. Too many TOs but we rebounded well and played great D.

#3 seed, #20 ranked Maryland next. We need to play very well. If we do we have a chance.

March 19

59-68. Not quite. Starting PF Mel Tone hurt his knee early. I don’t think it’s serious but we didn’t play him for the last 32 minutes. That meant two starters were sitting. We simply couldn’t overcome that. Hey, great first season!

April 4

Mai and I went to the final four. She’s showing but not a lot, and she still seems to be feeling great.

Michigan won it all.

Awards: Mel Tone made second team.

April 23

No interesting offers but it would have taken something spectacular. I ask for facilities again, thinking that Mike Lyle will keep his promise from last spring. 

He does. We’re up from C to B-. Looking forward to next year. We had a great year this year. Way better than I expected.

We finished 22-12, RPI #20. Team Prestige is up from 43 to 51. My numbers after 11 years as a head coach: 225-119, .654. Off- 36, Def- 58, Recruit- 90, Scout- 43, Player Development- 47, Reputation- 41.

Now we wait for the baby. Well, among other things. Both of us will keep working. Mai has a research project she wants to leave at a place where the rest of her team can move forward with it. I doubt that she’ll stay away from the department completely. I suspect she’ll bring the little one with her and make at least short visits. We don’t want to know the baby’s gender before the birth. My folks are coming here for 10 days in July, after the baby is born- well, we assume anyway.

May 20

Papa Joe opened his new restaurant last night. It’s gorgeous, the food is fantastic and the variety of choices is amazing. It was full right up until closing time.

June 16

Went into the transfer pile and got what appears to be a very good SG.

Mai looks great. She’s gained 12 pounds so she doesn’t show a great deal. She says she feels fine and she continues to work. Due date is in 11 days, June 27.

June 26

Looking at 15 recruits, 11 are PGs. No baby yet.

June 30

BABY!!! A beautiful little girl, 5 lbs., 13 oz. Mother and daughter are both doing fine. Mai described her labor as one short, sharp pain. She woke me in the middle of the night, I drove her to the university hospital, we went into the delivery room. She had the baby within 10 minutes of the time we went in. Papa Joe and Mama Li came to visit in the afternoon. Everyone will be back home tomorrow. Oh, the baby’s name is Lili. My mom’s name is Lillian and of course you know about Mama Li. Seemed like the perfect name!

July 11

Mom and Dad are here. Lili is growing and doing very well. Mai has already been to work a couple of times but only briefly each time.

Thai Garden, Papa Joe’s restaurant is a tremendous hit. The population around here goes down when school is out, but Papa tells me that they are at 97% of capacity so far. Since Mama Li is in charge of day care she does not work at the restaurant. Dani is officially the assistant manager but Papa Joe leaves a great deal of the decision making to him. 

Dani is now 22. He has a girlfriend and it seems pretty serious. She is Vietnamese. Dani told me privately that if and when we move to take another coaching job he wants to stay here and run the restaurant. That just might work out well. Papa Joe wouldn’t mind, I’m sure, having a thriving restaurant here, and then starting another wherever we go next. We’ll see what happens. 

Papa Joe and Mama Li are both 53 years old. Successful Thais at that age already begin to think of retirement but I don’t see Papa Joe retiring any time soon. He has tons of energy and loves what he does.

My folks are both 64 and definitely close to retirement. Dad could retire at any time. He has the years in. he says a year and a half more and he’ll max out his pension, and that’s when he’ll go. Mom says she’ll retire on her 65th birthday.

July 25

My folks are back in Jersey. Mai is working halftime (or more). Lili is in very good hands. Mama Li is wonderful. Of course we’re going to have the most spoiled daughter in history. I come home for lunch when I can, usually in the late afternoon. That way I get to spend a little time with Lili. I hope to continue to do that, again, when I can. I do NOT want to be a stranger to my kids.

Recruiting is looking promising. 3 scholarships and we hope to get at least 2 guards.

September 18

Lili is almost 3 months old. She knows us and smiles. No one can explain the tremendous love you feel for your child. It has to be experienced.

The restaurant is absolutely sold out every night (well, lunch and dinner) now that school is back in session.

Two PGs have committed and the 3rd is close.

We’re going to the JAG Holiday. We’ve beefed up the schedule a bit. No long road trips, which is great.

October 2

We got the third recruit. One of the three may have trouble hitting our SAT score so we’ll save the rest of our recruiting money.

I like what I saw at today’s first practice.

We’re picked to finish 5th in conference.

November 6

Can’t believe Lili is more than 4 months old. She does more now, laughs, reaches for things, very much knows who is who in the household. I only get home for lunch 2-3 days a week, but I also get to spend some time with Lili in the morning. Mai is working full time. 

Lili spends part of the day with her and the rest with Mama Li. Mai and I have to work at finding time to spend together but we do work at it and we treasure our time together. I think we love each other more than ever. This has been a great relationship right from the start.

Exhibition games led to more questions than answers. I will play 7 most of the time, but who gets how many minutes remains open.

November 20

2-0 for week one.

November 27

3-1 but some really tough teams are coming up. We need to rebound better.

December 22

Tweaked the lineup. We’re rebounding better and we’ve won 4 straight. 7-2 heading for the JAG Holiday. We’re the #4 seed but I think we can win this thing.

Mai, Lili, and Mama Li are all coming with us. 

Papa Joe and Dani are too busy with the restaurant, which continues to do a fantastic business. Papa is brilliant. Everything in the restaurant has some sort of Asian style but he has included lots of beef and pork dishes to appeal to the locals. It works!

December 23 

We beat Colorado by 14. Next up is #1 seed Temple. They beat us by 19 at their place. We have a stronger lineup now and we’re playing really well. They also have 2 starters out with injuries. 

December 24

82-64. We were in control all the way. 10-2 St. John’s, the #2 seed in the final.  They haven’t played anybody.

December 25

71-52. Again, we were never threatened.

Baby’s 1st XMas spent on a plane. She’s too young to know. She and her mother and Mama Li head home while the team and I go to Georgia for a game. We’ll celebrate the holiday when I get home, most likely on the 30th, Lili’s 6 month birthday.

December 30

We beat Georgia to end the preconference season at 11-2. Since the lineup change we’re up 5.7 RBs per game and we’ve won 8 straight.

The Big 10 is tough this year though.

Lili didn’t know what all the excitement was about but she definitely enjoyed the XMas/birthday celebration.

“Let’s have the second baby right away. Two is enough, and if we have them close together it’s better.”

“That’s fine with me, Mai.”

January 1, 2003

Happy new year!

January 8

Beat #21 Indiana at home, and beat a tough Michigan State team by 2 on the road. We’re ranked! #19, RPI #16. This is the first time one of my teams has been ranked and it feels really good!

January 22

16-3, 5-1, Ranked #17, RPI #15, alone in 1st.

January 29

Iowa beat us by 2, there. Now we’re in a 3 way tie for first.  

That recruit did not hit the SAT score. We offered to another PG, and we’re looking at a few new recruits as well.

February 12

21-4, 10-2. Alone in first, 1 game up on Maryland, 2 on Indiana and Ohio State, with 4 to play.

Lili has a cold. It is the first time she has been ill and it is a little scary. The pediatrician says there is no cause for alarm.

February 19

We lose to #20 Indiana on the road. We’re tied with Maryland with 2 to play.

Lili is much better. She is still coughing a little.

February 26

We finished second, 1 back of Maryland. 23-6, 12-4, #15, RPI #24.

March 10 

We play #7 seed Michigan in the round of 8. 

58-50. It will be #3 seed Indiana in the semifinal round. We beat them by 6 then lost by 14. 

March 11

We did NOT come to play tonight. 20 TOs and the shots wouldn’t drop. Part of the latter is that guys weren’t working hard enough to get open so lots of our shots were forced. Maryland was also upset, by Minnesota.

March 12

The loss will hurt us regarding seeding for the tournament. Let’s see where we land. We’re 24-7, 12-4, #17, RPI #28. 

It was a long wait. #3 in the West. Frankly, I never expected a #3 seed. I’m thrilled. We play 22-8 Wagner.

Lili is talking, and she has started to walk, even though she’s only 8 ½ months. She is definitely entertaining but she needs to be watched constantly. She’s into everything. Mama Li doesn’t usually have her all day but when she does she looks very tired at the end of the day.

March 17

Mai can’t get away from work. Her research is at a critical stage. So I’m in Salt Lake City without her. Hope to get to San Francisco for the Sweet Sixteen. If we do, Mai will be with us there.

64-34. It was never a game. #11 seed Brigham Young upset Ohio State so this is essentially a home game for them. We think we’re the better team though.

March 19

80-73 and off to the Sweet Sixteen in San Francisco!

March 24

The whole family is here.

#2 seed, #4 ranked Creighton. This is a tough matchup for us. We need to get the ball inside regularly and we need to rebound well.

61-73. We rebounded well (+5) but 20 TOs hurt. Great season! We far exceeded expectations and we have all 5 starters back.

March 26

The third PG signed with us.

April 4

Mai, Mama Li, Lili and I go to the final four. I’m not looking to leave Wisconsin for another year but if opportunity knocks we’ll answer the door.

Kentucky beat Maryland by 1 for the title. Great game!

Awards: PF Mel Tone made 1st team, SG T. J. Dant made 2nd.

April 23

Some interesting job offers but not interesting enough. My #1 assistant left for a head coaching position. I like the guy I hired.

I ask for another facilities upgrade. I’d like to get us to B+. I love Mike Lyle! We’re at B+!

Team Prestige is up to 54. After 12 years as a head coach I am 251-127, .664. Off- 41, Def- 65, Recruit- 90, Scout- 44, Player Dev- 53, Reputation- 46. Next year we’ll be looking to move up but if it takes 2-3 years that’s fine. We’re happy in Madison.

May 1

Mai is pregnant again. The baby is due in mid-November. We’re excited, of course.

June 16

We look at transfers. We pick up a PG and an SF.

June 30

Happy birthday Lili. 1 year old. It was quite a celebration!

We have 4 scholarships. Probably need guards more than bigs, but I’d take 2 of each.

August 7

2 guys nominated for the Norton Award: SG Tod Oma #25, SF Jay Bayn #35. These are my first two. Cool!

September 18

Got a PG, an SG and a C to commit. Hoping for the PF to join them.

We’re invited to the Coaches Classic, which is quite an honor. We play Florida first so we’ll need to be on our toes. It also means I may be away when the new baby is born. We’re playing an ambitious schedule.

Speaking of the new baby, as was the case last time, Mai has gained very little weight, she says she feels great, and she certainly seems to have lots of energy. We’re about two months away.

October 16

We’re picked to finish 3rd in conference, ahead of 4 ranked teams.

November 6

Mai still seems as energetic as usual. She’s due in a week and a half.

Exhibitions set our lineup.

November 13

In a HUGE upset we beat #3 Florida, 86-84. The first round featured 4 upsets in 8 games. We play #10 seed Temple next. They upset #7 seed Stanford.

November 15

We beat Temple 58-40. Trap Jones has been huge at C, and Tod Oma has played very well at SG. #2 seed, #2 ranked UConn is next. I’ve managed to watch both of their games. They’re better than us, especially at PG and PF, and their bench is deeper, but they aren’t a whole lot better. If we play well we have a chance.

November 17

80-71. Another great win. Tod Oma, Jay Bayn at SF and especially T. J. Dant at the Point led us. Trap Jones had another great game. We opened a huge lead early (22 points) and UConn had to try to play catch up all night. Every time they got close we scored a basket.

#8 seed Dayton made it to the final and we’ll face them. We feel like we’re the better team but we need to play that way.

November 18

Mai gave birth to a healthy boy early this morning. Can’t wait to get home to see both of them.

November 19

90-63. Seeded #15 we become the lowest seeded team to ever win this tournament. All 5 starters plus Ed Till from the bench played really well. 43 RBs, 8 TOs.

November 20

Home, saw my beautiful son and my beautiful wife, both of whom are doing great. Lili is fascinated with her new brother. We called him Lou. My dad’s name is Louis, and Papa Joe has Liu as part of his name so it seemed to fit. Fortunately we’re home for 9 days.

We are ranked #4! I think that’s a little high but we’re a good team.

November 28

I really enjoyed my time with Mai and our two little ones. Back on the road but only for a couple of days.

Two easy wins this week, including one over #13 UNLV by 26. We’re now ranked #2. My head is spinning. I know we’re good but I really don’t know if we’re that good.

Georgia Tech broke the spell, beating us by 2 there. We went to the line 14 times and they went 23, and that was the difference. Then we came home and beat Utah by 22.  Ranked #4.

December 11

A close call against Syracuse there, 62-60, then we trounced Xavier here. Still #4, RPI #3. 9-1.

It’s fun to watch Lili “taking care of” Lou. She takes it very seriously.

December 18

12 days on the road. Lost to Marquette, beat Louisville. 10-2. One more road game before I get back to my family.

December 25

Another close call. We beat South Carolina by 2 at their place. 

Lili really enjoyed the holiday. Lou, being just 5 weeks old, was oblivious, despite Lili’s best efforts.

January 1

Happy 2004

We end the preconference season at 12-2, ranked #10, RPI #1.

January 8

We got our third 2 point road win then came home and crushed #8 ranked Iowa.

Lost to Rutgers on the road. Shouldn’t have. We went to the line 17 times, they went 39. I got a T. That very rarely happens but it had to happen this time. Then we won at home.

Papa Joe asked me what the odds were of our moving in the spring. I told him it’s difficult to tell. A big part of it is which schools have vacancies, and since I’m looking only for one of the very best programs in the country there wouldn’t be many openings. The other factor was that my reputation rating would probably be about 50. That’s good, but is it good enough for one of those elite programs. Time will tell.

Oh, Dani and his girlfriend are engaged, looking at a spring wedding.

January 22

And now a 1 point road win. Then an easy home win. We are barely surviving on the road but will to win is big.

January 29

Big home win over Maryland to put us alone in 1st. 19-3, 7-1. Ranked #7, RPI #1.

Tod Oma is #6 on the Norton List and Jay Bayn is #13.

Everyone hit our SAT number.

Mai is back at work part time. It’s more difficult for her to spend lots of time there with two children, but she does what she can.

February 5

Maryland did us a big favor and upset #3 ranked Michigan. Then we went to Michigan and got beat. First loss where I can’t say the refs were a factor. We couldn’t hit shots and we turned it over too often. 20-4, 8-2. Tied for 1st with Maryland, Michigan 1 back.

February 12

Alone in first, 1 up on both Maryland and Michigan, with 4 to play. Ranked #3 (!), RPI #1.

Busy as she is Mai comes to all of our home games, and she watches the road games on TV. She has never lost her enthusiasm for the game. Oh, and she still gives me lots of advice on how to coach my team, and quite a bit of it is helpful.

Lili is now convinced that, at not quite 3 months of age, Lou is talking. Every time he gurgles or babbles she “translates” for us.

February 19

24-4, 12-2, #3, RPI #1. Still 1 up on both MD and Mich. We have a tough road game against #20 Iowa this week.

February 26

We crushed Iowa by 23. Oma, Dant and Bayn were all immense. We finished 1 up on Michigan and 2 on Maryland. 26-4, 14-2, #3, RPI #1, heading into the post season.

March 5

Ted Oma is #5 on the Norton List.

Lili almost hurt Lou. She was convinced he could walk with a little help. Mai had only left the room for a moment to get diapers from the other room. When she returned Lili had almost managed to get Lou off the changing table. Mai rushed over and grabbed Lou before he could fall to the floor. She then carefully explained things top Lili, who seemed to understand. Things can happen very quickly.

March 9

We play Ohio State in the round of 8 of the conference tournament. We beat them by 21 in January. 

March 10

94-88 in OT. They missed an open 12 footer at the end of regulation or we’d be heading home. We took charge in OT. We allowed an embarrassing 24 three pointers.  We’ll definitely need to tighten the outside D.

#16 ranked Indiana is next. We beat them by 18 in Feb.

March 11

66-77. 16 TOs to Indiana’s 6, and a failure to stop the outside shot again. We’ll work on that before the NCAA tourney. This loss probably cost us a #1 seed, although the #2 ranked team also lost.

March 12

#12 Indiana beat #3 Michigan for the title. Given the upsets we may get that #1 after all. We’re gathered around the TV waiting for the show to start. 27-5, ranked #4. RPI #1.

#1 in the East, #1 overall. The celebration in here was gigantic. Now to prove we deserve it!

We’ll start off in Boston. Mai doesn’t feel that she can either take the kids or come with us and leave them at home. First time she’ll miss our NCAA tournament games. She’ll be watching though!

March 18

We got past UTEP and Missouri with no trouble but I didn’t feel we played well in either game. Maryland was shockingly upset in the first round. On to Philadelphia for the Sweet Sixteen.

March 23

#17 Oregon. They are tough inside and a good team overall.

56-57. Our D was plenty good enough but we were 16-49, 5-21 on threes. The shots wouldn’t drop, including the last one, a 17 footer by our best shooter, Tod Oma. Tough way to lose, but we’re out. I really thought we had a good chance to get to the final four but we simply didn’t play well during our last three games and it caught up to us. Great season though, my best ever.

We’ll find out in a couple of weeks if that big time offer comes.

#1 and #4 in the country also went out in the Sweet 16. One of those years.

April 4

I went to the Final Four without Mai. #3 Michigan got trounced by #2 Florida. It wasn’t even a game.

Awards: Tod Oma made the national 2nd team. In conference Tod and Jay Bayn made 1st team, Trap Jones made 2nd team.

April 9

No offers that were even remotely interesting. As I said last year, we’re happy in Madison.

April 23

I asked for an extension and a raise. Mike said I deserved it but he didn’t have the money. He also said I should ask again next year. He’d plan for it.

Team Prestige is up to 56. My record is 280-133, .678. My numbers are:

Off- 45, Def- 78, Recruit- 90, Scout- 44, Player Dev- 58, Reputation- 51.

It was truly a terrific year and we’re hoping for even more next year.

May 1

Dani and Ming were married yesterday. Dani and Papa Joe talked and Papa agreed that Dani would run Thai Garden when we move, hopefully next April.

June 26

Nothing in the transfer pool. 6 scholarships. Looking at 10 for now.

June 30

Can Lili possibly be 2 already! Yes she is. We had a nice celebration.

August 7

SG Tod Oma #13 on the Norton List, SF Jay Bayn #28, and PF Max Bibb #36.

September 18

We got a PF to commit. We’re Going to the JAG Holiday tournament. 

September 25

We got an SF and a PG. 

October 2

Still chasing recruits

First day of practice. I like what I saw.

We’re picked first in conference, over 5 ranked teams, two of which are top 5.

Nov. 18

Baby Lou is a year old. Lili pretty much organized the celebration. She is very much a take charge, in charge girl. Lou didn’t really know what all the fuss was about but he clearly enjoyed it. 

November 20

A two win first week and we’re ranked #17.

December 4

6-0. Ranked #8, RPI #2.

December 20

9-0 headed for the JAG.

December 23

We’re the #3 seed. #6 Penn State is up first.

63-43. We were in control all the way. #2 seed Illinois, 7-4 in the semis.

December 24

73-66. They gave us a battle but our PG Jake Gray pulled us through, 26, 5, 8. #1 seed, #8 ranked UConn for the title.

I hate not being home with the kids on the holiday and we’re at Tulane next so I won’t be home until the 28th. I called before bedtime today and will call again tomorrow.

December 25

67-60 for the title! They stayed close all the way but we never lost the lead in  the 2nd half. It got down to 1 a few times but we hit a basket every time we needed to. Center Dean Leach, 17, 11, 2, and PG Jake Gray, 17, 4, 4 led the way.

December 27

We beat Tulane by 12 to end the pre-conference season 13-0. Home tomorrow. Seems like I’ve been away forever.

January 1, 2005

Happy new year!

January 8

We finally lose one, at Minnesota. We shot 26.9%.

January 15

Beat #4 Michigan. #4, RPI #2, 16-1, 3-1.

January 29

All of our committed guys hit the SAT score but one we offered to didn’t. 20-1, 7-1. Tied for 1st with Ohio State.

February 5

Ohio State lost. They’re in a 3 way tie with Michigan and Indiana, one back of us. We’re rebounding well, +10.2, taking care of the ball, +3.2 in TOs, +3.0 in assists. We don’t always shoot well but our D is usually solid. We play 7 and all are playing well. #20 Ohio State on the road and #8 Indiana at home this week.

February 12

Lost to Ohio State, beat Indiana. Tied with Ohio State and Michigan for 1st with 4 to play. Our last game is at Michigan.

February 25

Michigan beat us by 15, there, so we finish 2nd. Another night when we couldn’t make shots. 

We finish the regular season 26-3, 13-3. #5, RPI #5.

March 10

We played Purdue in the round of 8. 88-64. All the favorite won so #9 Indiana is next. We beat them by 22 at our place. I think it will be tougher this time.

March 11

72-68. It was much tougher. Dean Leach had 25, 12 to lead us. A return match with Michigan. We didn’t play very well last time.

March 12

60-55! 13 lead changes, 10 ties. With 33 seconds left and the score tied, Leach made a layup, was fouled, and converted. They came down and missed and it took them awhile to foul Tod Oma. He made them both. Great win! 29-3, #4, RPI #3, so we should be #1 somewhere.

#1 in the Midwest.

Mai is not coming with us to Detroit for the first two games but if we go further she will join us. She thinks the kids are old enough to leave them at home with Mama Li, and Mama agrees.

Oregon gives us a scare in  the round of 32, but we survive. On to Iowa City with Mai joining us.

March 23

#22 Ohio State in the Sweet Sixteen. We lost to them by 8 at their place.

82-66. Oma and Bayn led the way. #3 New Mexico and #5 Michigan were upset in this round. #11 seed, 20-14 Wake Forest in the Elite Eight. They’ve had quite a run for an 11 seed. 

March 25

77-64 and we’re in the final four. We’ll play #1 ranked Florida. On the other side it’s #11 ranked BYU vs. #16 New Mexico, so our game will very likely decide the national championship. Mai will definitely join us in Chicago!

April 1

Lots of excitement. This is the first time I bring a team to the final four. Florida has a terrific team. We’ll need to play really well and get a little lucky.

50-60. Tod Oma sprained his wrist early on. He played but he wasn’t at more than about 75%. That hurt. Jake Gray was a little overmatched at PG and was in foul trouble all night. One or two of the calls were questionable but not terribly so. We were +12 on the boards and -5 in TOs, but without Oma and Gray at their best we were outmanned. Florida is a great team and they figure to beat #16 ranked New Mexico State easily.

April 4

Not so easily but Florida won, 79-68.

Awards: I was named national coach of the year. Quite an honor! It won’t hurt in the job search either. Tod Oma made 2nd team nationally. In conference Tod and Dean Leach made 1st team, Jay Bayn made 2nd, and I got the coaching award.

April 9

Let’s see what kind of offers we get. 

Another year in Madison. I had to explain to an irate Papa Joe that there simply are not many jobs at the level I’m reaching for. He’s ready to start a new restaurant. As we spoke I got the idea that he may start a second one here.

“Not too close. I don’t want to give myself competition. Maybe 40, 50 miles away.”

He’s looking in the area around Milwaukee.

April 23

I ask for a facilities upgrade. We need one. And we get it, up from B+ to A-.

Team Prestige is up to 63. My numbers: 313-137, .696. Off- 50, Def- 78, Recruit- 90, Scout- 44, Player Development- 64, Reputation- 60. I’d love to get back to the final four!

May 1

It is really difficult to believe that I am starting my 15th year as a head coach, that I am now 37 years old, and that I have a daughter who will soon be 3, and a son who is 1 1/2. I could not be happier with my life. I can’t imagine that I could ever have found a wife more perfectly suited to me, my kids are fantastic, and my in laws are truly family.

As to my career, I am more than happy with the progress I’ve made as a coach, and U. of Wisconsin, even though it isn’t my final destination, is simply a great place to coach. Madison is a really great place to live.

We are ranked #16 in the first preseason polls.

June 30

Happy 3rd birthday, Lili!

We have 4 scholarships. Looking at 10 guys for now.

August 7

4 on the Norton List: #17 Dak Bram, PG, #24, Max Bibb, PF, #27 J. T. Dill, PF, #48, Brad Dyer, SG.

We’re getting some positive responses from lots of recruits.

September 18

We got a PG to commit and we’re close to a couple of other guys. We were invited to the Coaches Classic. We’re playing a very challenging schedule. Hopefully not too challenging.

Papa Joe closed on a piece of land just west of Milwaukee and expects to break ground within a week for Thai Garden II.

September 25

Pleasantly surprised to report that we got all 4 recruits, 2 PGs, 2 Cs.

October 2

Lili showed me a book she is reading. It’s Dr. Seuss but she is definitely reading it.

First day of practice. I think we’ll do well again this year.

We’re picked to win the conference.

October 23

The last preseason poll has us at #4.

November 20

We won the Coaches Classic, beating a couple of ranked teams along the way. And at the end of the week we’re ranked #1! This team really plays well together. The scoring is pretty evenly distributed among all 5 starters which makes us very difficult to defend.

Lou turned 2 this week. My little ones are growing too quickly. Lili is reading “real books” now, not just Dr. Seuss. She reads to Lou who sits in rapt attention as she reads and shows him the pictures.

Mai is back to working full time and is engaged in what seems to be some really high level, ground breaking research. Some new concept related to black holes. She’s working with another professor here, and professors at two other universities. The internet makes that so much easier than in the old days.

November 27

6-0 but 2 ranked teams this week.

Papa Joe is at the construction site most days. He hopes to open in early March. His brother’s second oldest son is flying over. He knows the business since he worked at the restaurant in Bangkok. He will manage the new restaurant when Papa Joe leaves.

December 4

We beat #7 Brigham Young by 2, then easily beat #14 Kansas. BYU hung with us all night, neither team ever led by more than 8. It was good for us to be challenged and I love the way we stayed focused and never gave up. We’re still ranked #1, RPI #1.

Louisville stopped our win streak at 9. We had a good first half but we simply could not make a shot in the 2nd, 7-35, 1-11 on threes, 2-7 from the line. We played well otherwise, +6 on the boards, +3 TOs. One of those nights.

December 18

Back to back road losses as Marquette beat us. Then we broke the string by winning at home. We were flat against Marquette. I really kicked butt in the practices following that game and we were much better against #10 Creighton, winning by 10 and looking good.

December 25

A great holiday. The kids are at ages where it’s really fun to watch their reactions.

January 1

Happy 2006!

We finish the pre-conference season 12-2, #1, #1. +8.5 RBs, + 2.8 TOs, +11.6 Points per game, +2.0 Assists.

January 8

#6 Michigan beat us at their place. 1-1 in conf.

January 15

Northwestern beat us at their place. That does NOT make me happy. Kurt John will start for Kurt Bibb who hasn’t been giving us much.

January 22

Can’t win on the road, Indiana beat us. 3-3 and very unhappy. #1 in conf. Iowa, there, is next so I may be even unhappier. We’re trying all kinds of things in practice.

January 29

Lost at Iowa, 4-4 in conf. Tied for 6th. Not good at all.

On a positive note all 3 recruits hit our SAT score.

Mai and I are looking at Montessori schools in the area, just in case we stay.

February 5

A win on the road and a two win week.

We’re playing better, 5 wins in a row and tied for 4th. 20-6, 8-4. John is giving us a lot more than Bibb did at SF.

February 19

7 in a row, tied for 3rd. 2 to play.

February 26

2 more wins, 9 straight, we finish 2nd, and we’re #2 in the country, #1 RPI. 24-6, 12-4.

March 10

It’s 16-13 Indiana in the round of 8.

65-62. Whew! Both starting guards and our #1 back up got in foul trouble in the 2nd half and we almost let this one slip away. #4 ranked Michigan in the round of 4. We lost by 9 there and then won by 23 at home. 

March 11

75-66. We played much better today, and we pulled away late. #8 Ohio State for the title. We only beat them by 7, at home, in our only meeting.

March 12

48-67. We were awful. Shot 32%, 22% on threes, 57% from the line. Our outside D was nonexistent. 18 TOs. 

Hopefully we got a bad game out of our system. Nearly all of the top ranked teams also lost so I think we’ll get a #1 seed.

#1 overall. Didn’t expect it but we’ll take it! You never know but this team doesn’t seem to have what it takes to win a title. Of course all you need to do is get hot for 6 games.

March 23

We breezed through the first 2 rounds. Lots of upsets. We’ll face #12 seed Weber State, 24-8, in the Sweet Sixteen.

69-51. We’ll face our first challenge in the Elite Eight, #2 seed, #6 ranked Ohio State. They just beat us by 19 for the Big 10 title. We beat them by 7 in the regular season. We’re expecting a battle.

March 25

60-69. And yet again, we couldn’t hit shots. Our D wasn’t all that impressive but we took 12 more shots than OSU and still lost.

This was not a great year, all in all. On paper we had a very good record and we made the Elite Eight, but we did not live up to our expectations.

Unranked, #8, #6, #4 ranked teams made it to the final four. As I said the other day, lots of upsets!

April 4

Mai and I went to the final four, with Mama Li and the kids. Only Mai and I went to the games, of course.

North Carolina beat Ohio State by 4 for the title.

Awards: Our C, Kyle Flick, was conference POY and first team, along with Dean Leach.

April 9

UCLA. Mai and I are flying out there to see. I think it may be a little too urban but is there a more elite program? It also helps that UCLA is one of the schools working on the research project that Mai is involved with.

April 11

We are now Bruins! I simply couldn’t say no to UCLA. There will be some rebuilding to do. I’m flying out tomorrow. Mai and the kids, and Mama Li will join me in a couple of weeks. Papa Joe will get here when he can, but it may be the end of summer. He’s thrilled though. He lived most of his life in Bangkok so he loves life in a big city.

April 23

Hired my assistants. Asked for a facilities upgrade but didn’t get it.

Mai wanted to fly out to look at houses but Papa Joe said we should rent something near campus. He would build our houses. Okay. How much money does he have? Real estate out here is insanely priced and he doesn’t even blink. He says he thinks 3 or 4 restaurants in the L. A. area would work out just fine. He will fly out and spend a day a week looking at possible sites for restaurants, as well as sites near campus. He wants two houses on one property. I can’t even estimate how many million all of that will cost, and then there’s the prices of getting 3 or 4 restaurants up and running.

“Don’t worry, Alvin. I can take care of it, easy.”

And so a new adventure begins.

UCLA has a Team prestige rating of 71. My numbers: 342-145, .702. Off- 54, Def- 84, Recruit- 90, Scout- 45, Player Development- 69, Reputation- 66.

May 1

Los Angeles is spread out all over the place and the traffic and pollution are insane, but once you get on campus it’s utterly beautiful; I let Papa Joe know that we need to live as close to campus as possible.

I’ve been meeting with my new assistants daily. There’s an awful lot to do. 

June 26

There was nobody worth going after in the transfer pool. 

5 scholarships. We need bigs more than guards. Looking at 15: 3 PGs, 1 SG, 4 SFs, 2 PFs, 5 Cs. All have at least some interest in us and all are top 50.

Mai and I discovered that there is an experimental school for gifted kids on campus here. Both kids qualify (what a surprise) and they’ll both start school here in August. Mai is really happy to be here. Of the schools involved in the research project this was the one she felt had the best people to work with. It definitely looks like this is the last stop on the trail for us.

Papa Joe bought a property right next to the campus. He will renovate the biggest building to turn it into Thai Garden IV. Then he’ll tear down the other buildings to make room for his house and ours. I can’t even begin to imagine how much all of this will cost.

August 1

Don’t know how he does it; Papa Joe closed on the property today. Talk about record time. Contractors will begin work on Wednesday. Two sets, one to tear down the buildings where the houses will go, one to begin renovations on the building that will become Thai Garden IV. Oh, Mama Li’s brother’s son will move here from Bangkok to be the assistant manager. He arrives next week. He will live with Papa Joe and Mama Li for awhile but there is room for a third house on the property. I asked, and Papa Joe and Mama Li are out of nieces and nephews, but they have other people they trust who could come here if Papa Joe decides to open more restaurants.

“Los Angeles is a big area. We maybe have a few more Thai Gardens,” Papa said.

September 18

Got 5 recruits to commit: 2 PGs, 2 SFs, and a PF.

We’re going to the preseason NIT. Playing a pretty strong schedule; hopefully not too strong.

October 2

First day of practice with my new team. I don’t know much about these guys, only what I’ve seen on the tapes. It will take a few days for me, and for my staff, to get a clear assessment.

We’re picked to finish 8th in our 12 team conference. One of our goals is top half. Hm.

Construction is really moving along on the restaurant. Papa Joe is aiming at a New Year’s Eve opening. The houses are coming along more slowly. We’ll probably be able to occupy sometime in the spring.

November 6

Practices are going well. I don’t see us as title contenders this year but middle of the pack in conference seems attainable.

The exhibition games taught me a lot about my new team.

“So Alvin, how come you never ask me where I get my money?”

“Well, Papa Joe, in the U. S. people don’t usually ask that kind of question. They wait for the person to tell, if they want to tell. And then I figured you made it from the restaurant in Bangkok.”

“Long story. You want to hear?”

“Absolutely.”

“My father was very rich- I mean VERY rich. Crazy rich. When I am young he insist I go to college. When I graduate he tell me if I show him a bank account with 1 million dollars- Thai equivalent of that, you know- and if I have no debt, he will give me half his fortune. I don’t know but that is about a half billion dollars.”

“Wow!”

“Yes. He does not make this offer to my younger brother. So anyway I major in finance in college. I decide I can make million quick and easy in stock and bond trading. He loan me one hundred thousand dollars at competitive interest, no break. I start trading. In 2 ½ years I make a million, have no debts. He give me half a billion dollars.”

“Wow again!”

“Yeah. So I am now 24 years old, just marry Li, what I am going to do? I like a challenge. I decide to open biggest, best restaurant in Bangkok. I take year to learn everything about restaurant business, then I buy restaurant in middle of business district, remodel, build restaurant just like Thai Garden. It is enormous success right from the start. I make lots of money I don’t need, decide I need new challenge. Biggest challenge is to be successful in America. Only place I know anybody is Dayton, a man who worked for my father, managed his U. S. interests, so I go there in 1987, with Li and Mai, and her brothers. Leave my brother in charge of restaurant in Bangkok.

“I don’t know anybody except one man, I don’t know American way of doing business, but I learn. In October, 1990 I open first Thai Garden. It is big success. You know the rest of story.”

“Papa Joe, you work very hard. Why? You are so rich you don’t need to work.”

“No, but I need challenge, stimulation. I don’t work so hard. Dani ran restaurant in Madison, my nephew Sami will soon run restaurant here. I do big money parts, other interesting stuff. You don’t know but in Madison, and in Bangkok when I go there every month, I am involved in lots of BIG business deals. Will be here when I learn who movers and shakers are. It is fun!”

“You are an amazing man, Papa Joe.”

November 20

Happy birthday, Lou. He turned 3 on the 18th.

NIT preseason. We were the #10 seed. Played #7 Stanford first. Beat them easily. Then it was #4 seed, #2 ranked Florida. They sent us home, as expected. We gave them a bit of a run though, losing by only 12. In both games we turned it over too often.

All 5 recruits signed.

(Author’s Note: I moved recruiting level from Normal to Hard.)

November 27

We went 1-1 this week. We lost a home game we should have won. It’s early; we’re still figuring things out. I’m not ready to make any changes yet but we may do something about the SG spot, and there’s a big guy on the bench who has played well when he goes in.

The kids LOVE their school. They talk about the things they do all the time and the keys that they DO, they don’t just sit. Sounds great!

December 4

Another 1-1 week but the loss was to #3 Iowa. No shame in that.

December 11

2-0 this week. A BIG win against #11 Wake Forest and then we beat UNLV on the road. Starting to jell? We’re rebounding very well and our TOs are slowly coming down. 

The kids still love their school. They do some incredible things. My 4 ½ year old is learning to play the piano and she’s doing some things related to the solar system. I’ve already mentioned that she’s been reading for some time. Now it’s “Chapter books,” you know, novels.

Lou is doing some math stuff that seems way too complicated for his age. He gets it though. It’s obvious that he does. He doesn’t read but when they read to him and show videos he can explain plot, character, all sorts of things.

Papa Joe is ahead of schedule. He will definitely open on new year’s eve. He’s already advertising and training staff.

December 18

Great week. 2-0 including a home win vs. #3 Maryland. Yes, we are jelling!

December 25

Another 1-1 week, barely. We squeaked out a 1 point win over Cincinnati. I have to say that I’m very happy to say that we end the pre-conference season at 8-4. We played 4 top 10 teams and beat two of them. There may still be some lineup changes but I like the direction we’re moving in!

The holiday was great. The kids were both upset about the fact that they couldn’t go to school for a whole week but the celebration and the gifts helped.

Papa Joe and Sami are very busy. The restaurant opens in just a few days. Sami is a great guy. He works hard, he’s serious when he needs to be but he always has a smile and he’s very friendly to all of us.

January 1, 2007

Happy new year! The restaurant opening was a huge success. Thousands of people were served between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 a.m. Papa Joe knows how to do it. People wait a long time for a table but once they get the table there are so many buffet set ups that they don’t wait any more, or if they do it’s very briefly.

January 8

2-1 in conf.  Still feel like we need to tweak the lineup a little. The staff is meeting for that purpose.

We didn’t change anything.

January 15

A 1-1 week, losing to #21 Arizona, then winning at home. We’re up and down. Rash May at C is about our only consistent player. The issue is turnovers but I don’t really have a solution. On the road for 2 next week.

January 22

Two close losses, one against an opponent we simply should not lose to.

We meet again on lineup changes. Our C, Rash May, is solid. Our PG is adequate but we really don’t have anyone else. We shake it up a little, going with a bigger lineup that is likely to score more and to rebound more. They may give up a few more points.

January 29

And another 1-1 week, but we lost to #9 California. Don’t see that the lineup changes did much.

Thai Garden 4 is, like all of Papa Joe’s other restaurants, a huge success.

The kids seem to love their school more every day. They are challenged and they have choices. Mai and I are thrilled. It’s non graded and small groups with no set curriculum. Kids learn because they investigate areas of interest.

All of our recruits hit our SAT score.

We’re 12-9, 4-5. 9 of the 12 teams are either 1 ahead of us, 1 behind us, or tied with us.

February 5

And yet another 1-1 week, winning one, then losing to a ranked team. We’re simply not good enough to beat these ranked teams and this conference has a few of them.

We need a two win week though. We’ve slid back into a tie for 7th. No ranked teams left but 3 of our last 5 are on the road. This week is our best shot at that two win week. One more slight tweak to the lineup.

February 12

And we got those two wins! 15-10, 7-6, RPI #54. In a 3 way tie for 5th with 2 teams 1 ahead of us, 1 team one behind us and 3 to play.

February 19

Great week. 2-0 including a 3 point win over #25 Arizona! This puts us in a two way tie for 4th. 

On the road with 12-15, 6-9, USC to close the regular season. A win would be huge. 

February 26

We did not come to play. Lost by 17. Still end up in a 3 way tie for 4th and I think we get the #4 seed.

We enter the post season 17-11, 9-7, RPI #48. I think we need to win a game to be invited to the NCAA tourney but maybe not. We’re close.

March 9

#5 seed Arizona State, 19-10, 9-7, in the quarter final round. We won by 6 at home in late January. They’ve won 8 of the last 9. This is a tough match up for us. We’ll need to be ready.

March 10

Bad news all around. We lost 72-82, and Point Guard Art Bain stretched a hamstring and is out for at least two weeks. We never led, giving up 55 in the first half. 

March 12

Selection Sunday. We’re 17-12, 9-7, but our RPI dropped to 62 so I don’t know.

Not in the East.

#11 in the Midwest. We’ll play 21-8, #6 seed, #25 ranked Oklahoma State. Not an easy game.

We have Ed Robb at the Point in place of Bain so it’s not going to be easy.

March 16

48-58. Ben Blag, our starting Power Forward, turned an ankle 10 minutes in and was unable to play again. That did it for us.

We’re losing two starters but we have some really good looking recruits coming in. I think we’ll be very good next year.

April 4

Mai and I went to the final four. Indiana beat my old Wisconsin team by 2 for the title.

Awards: Rash May made conference 1st team. That’s it.

April 21

I ask for a facilities upgrade. We get it. Facilities will be at B+ when the work is finished.

I was reasonably satisfied with my first year at UCLA. I didn’t think we had a lot of talent yet we managed to win 17 games and might have won more if our Point hadn’t gone down with an injury.

I look for a great season next year.

Li decides she will go back to working part time at the restaurant. She did bookkeeping there in the past. She doesn’t have the kids much with school so I guess she’s bored.

Team Prestige stayed at 71. I have a record of 359-158, .94. Off- 58, Def- 90, 

Recruit- 90, Scout- 47, Player Development- 74, Reputation- 68.

June 26

We’re ranked #22 in the early preseason polls.

We went after some transfers but didn’t get them.

5 scholarships. We need at least 3 bigs. Looking at 10 for now, 7 bigs.

June 30

Happy birthday Lili. 5 years old!

Both kids are going to accelerated summer sessions at the experimental school. They got two weeks off after school ended and will get two more just prior to the opening of school in the fall. They still love their school.

Papa Joe is happy as can be. He feels that Sami is ready to take over the major part of the management of Thai Garden IV. He checks in early and late in the day. In the meantime he’s out looking for properties in different parts of L.A. He feels he should be able to open three more Thai Gardens. He says he is in no hurry. He wants to gather all the data to be certain that all three will be successful. I’m sure they will be. Papa Joe manages to spend at least a little time with the kids every day. When they are free he takes them with him on his shorter trips. They love it. We convinced him to get a driver and he hired a really nice man who was originally from Cambodia. They both speak Mandarin so they communicate in that language. The car is a limo. It can hold at least 7 or 8 of us if we pull out the jump seats and one of us sits in the front. The driver also does some of the property maintenance but Papa Joe has a staff for that. Oh, we’re all in our homes. They are lovely. Mai and I helped to design ours. The Driver’s wife does housekeeping. His brother helps with property maintenance and his wife also does some housekeeping. This is not a lifestyle I am accustomed to but it has been a pretty easy adjustment. And Papa Joe treats these people extremely well. They get salaries way above average for these jobs, he has a pension plan for them and full health coverage.

August 7

Sid Nee is #10 on the Norton list and Brad Lee is #35.

August 21

We offer to 4 bigs and a PG.

Papa Joe, “taking his time,” has found not three, but four properties that he likes. The four, plus the already established restaurant, form a ring around the city, far enough apart not to be in direct competition with each other. He has put in offers for all four properties.

September 18

We got commitments from an SF, a PF, and a C, and lost a PF.

No in season tourney invitation this year. We loaded the schedule with ranked teams.

All but one of the properties Papa Joe is looking at have agreements and should close soon. The other is still in negotiations.

“He’s trying to hold me up. I will give a little more than the property is worth but I am looking at other properties in that area.”

October 2

First day of practice. I’d like to have more bigs. One injury and we’re in trouble.

Papa Joe talked the guy into selling the property at a price that Papa Joe was willing to pay. He closes on the other three next week, and plans to begin renovations at once. 

We’re picked to finish 2nd to Arizona in conf. California also looks strong but the rest of the conf. doesn’t. It looks like a 3 way battle.

October 9

A PG committed. We’ll keep looking but we’re thinking of holding the 5th scholarship until next season.

October 30

The last preseason poll has us at #12.

Papa Joe has 3 properties being renovated and closes on the fourth next week. The company that renovated Thai Garden IV is a very large construction company and they are doing all the renovations. Papa Joe was very happy with their work on IV but he still checks in at all three sites (and will on the 4th) every day, as well as checking in early and late at IV. He still flies to Bangkok every month and plans to continue doing so.

November 20

Beat #14 UConn at home. Lost to #19 Louisville on the road. Still trying to put the pieces together. Not happy with Brad Lee at PG so far. He’s fouling way too often.

Lou turned 4 two days ago. My kids are growing too fast.

November 27

2 home games. We looked great beating #6 Oklahoma State and looked awful losing to #3 Wake Forest.

More time for Bain at PG, less for Lee. 

December 4

2 road games against ranked teams. We beat #14 Gonzaga on good play by Art Bain, now starting at PG. Then we beat #6 LSU by 6. Bain had 16, 3, 3, but go figure, Brad Lee had 25 from the bench. I’m not happy with Ron Hart at Small Forward so the staff and I are pondering.

December 11

We put Lee at SF. 2 win week. At home against unranked Creighton Bain had 13, 5, 2,  and Lee had 18 and 4. At unranked Memphis all 5 starters contribute. I think I’ve found my lineup. We’re 6-2, ranked #15.

December 18

A 1-1 week, losing to #6 Minnesota.

December 25

A great holiday. Papa Joe’s restaurants are open on the holiday but he pays his employees triple time to work.

We beat Iowa to end the preconference season 8-3, ranked #15, RPI #6.

January 1

Happy 2008! We beat Washington by 40 at home to start the conf. season.

Papa Joe says his restaurants, all 4 of them, should be ready to open no later than April 15. He and Sami will both train employees, management and labor, at Thai Garden IV, beginning soon. They are about to start hiring.

Mama Li has complained of feeling tired lately. This is not like her.

January 8

We lose a game we should have won at Wash. ST, then beat Utah there. 

In our two most recent losses it was poor shot selection and a low shooting % that did us in. In both we led in rebounding, TOs, committed fewer fouls. We just didn’t put the ball in the basket.

Something seems to be wrong with Mama Li but she refuses to see a doctor.

January 15

We beat #11 Arizona at our place. Ren Hart hurts his back. Out for 10 days or so.

We decided to expand Jed Dye’s role and he responded with 11, 6, 4 in 27 minutes. Sean Hall at SG, Sid Nee at PF, and Ben Blag at C all had good nights. We didn’t shoot well but we held Arizona to 36%.

Tied with California for 1st but it’s early.

January 22

Another 2 win week and we’re alone in 1st place. But Arizona and Cal are 1 game back and we have 5 of the last 9 on the road including both of them.

We feel like we have the right lineup. The starters are all doing what we need them to do and Dye and More, the first two off the bench, don’t hurt us at all.

January 29

2 road wins including a 2 point win over #23 California. It seems like different guys step up every night but Jed Dye has really been stepping up since we increased his minutes.

We’re alone in 1st place. Arizona is 1 back, everyone else is 3 or more back with 7 to play. We’re ranked #13, RPI #8.

Sid Nee is #12 on the Norton List.

February 5

2 more wins and Arizona lost, so we’re 2 ahead of them with 5 to play.

“Mama’s really not doing well.”

“I don’t understand why she won’t go to the doctor, Mai.”

“She is very old fashioned in some ways.”

“Why don’t you or Papa Joe force her to go?”

“That is not our way, Blade.”

February 12

20-4, 12-1. Only Arizona can catch us.

February 19

Arizona lost early in the week. Then they beat us by 11 but we’re still 2 ahead of them with one to play.

February 26

We finish the regular season 2 up on Arizona, 4 on Cal., and 5 or more on the rest. 22-5, 14-2, ranked #9, RPI #7.

(Author’s note: Now there’s a huge flaw in the game: 1. Guys would not declare for the NBA draft before the end of the season. 2. There would be a way to recruit when they did declare.)

March 5

Brad Lee declares for the draft.

Mama Li is too sick to work. Mai and Papa Joe have a long, loud argument. At the end Papa agrees to make an appointment for Mama Li to see a doctor.

March 9

# 9 seed Utah upsets #8 USC so we’ll play them in the round of 8. We won by 10 there and then 20 at home.

March 10

71-55. 

Mama Li has medical tests.

#4 seed Oregon is next, in the round of 4. We beat them by 17 at home.

March 11

61-47. An impressive win. Nee, Lee, Blag and Bain all have really good games.

#12 Arizona for the title. We beat them by 10 at home, lost by 11 there. 19 TOs in the game we lost so that’s what we’re working on.

March 12

72-74. Heck of a game! We came back from 16 down and almost managed to steal it, but then on the last possession they hit a 3. Their starting guards combined for 43; we couldn’t stop them. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. #2 seed?

It was a long wait. We’re #2 in the West. We’ll play Jacksonville to start.

March 13

Mama Li has liver cancer. Late stage, inoperable. The docs say 3-6 months.

March 17

It’s hard to be away from home at a time like this. Mai did not come. She may not come to any of the tournament games. 

We win by 20.

Next up is #10 seed Villanova, 20-10. They are tough inside but we’re the better team.

March 19

70-54. Never a game. Brad Lee sprains a toe. Jed Dye will start for him for at least one game. This hurts but Dye has been playing well.

#20 LSU is next in the Sweet Sixteen. We beat them by 6 earlier in the season.

Mai stays home again.

March 24

72-58. Sean Hall gets 30, his biggest game ever for us. 21, 7 for Nee. Jed Dye goes 8, 6, 4.

Wake Forest in the Elite Eight. They beat us by 19 at our place so this is a tough match up. They’ve won their last 9. They’re stronger outside and we’re stronger inside. Lee will play some but not a lot.

March 26

I guess Wake Forest is 19 points better than we are. That’s what they won by again tonight. I hate to lose but at a time like this I want to be at home. I won’t even go to the final four this year.

We’re losing starters Art Bain, Ben Blag, and Brad Lee, as well as sub Ren Hart. That’s a lot. We’re bringing in some very good big men but I hadn't figured on losing Lee. That will make us short at guard.

April 4

Kentucky won the title.

Awards: Sid Nee is named conf. freshman of the year, and makes the 1st team. I get the coach award. Ben Blag and Sean Hall make 2nd team.

Mama Li is fading fast. She is receiving pain meds and she’s drowsy or sleeping most of the time. Papa Joe is still working but he stays with her a couple of hours in the morning before leaving and he’s always home by 6:00. He’s taking this hard. He and Mama Li have known each other since they were small children.

It’s tough helping our kids with this. Mama Li took care of them since they were infants. They’re too young to understand all of this but we try to be completely honest about what’s going on. 

April 23

I ask for a facilities upgrade but I don’t get it.

Team Prestige climbs to 80. My record is: 386-165, .701. Off- 62, Def- 90, Recruit- 90, Scout- 49, Player Development- 79, Reputation- 74.

It was a successful year. Next year we hope to challenge for the national championship.

I don’t think Mama Li will make the three months.

May 1

Preseason #2. I wonder if we’re that good. 

Mama Li is heavily medicated. 

Papa Joe’s four restaurants all opened yesterday. There was not the joy in it for him that we saw with the openings of the previous restaurants.

June 5

Looking at transfers. If we found a really good looking guard we’d go after him. 

We go after a Small Forward.

June 9

Didn’t get the transfer. We’re done.

Doc says it’s a matter of days, maybe hours for Mama Li.

“She seems so peaceful about it, Mai. She has from the start.”

“She is a good Buddhist, Blade. She believes she will come back. There is no beginning, no end. She accepts this and looks forward to her next life.”

“Do you believe that, Mai?”

“Only when I need to.”

June 17

Mama Li dies. Papa Joe is hurt and looks terribly sad. He is very quiet. The kids are confused and heartbroken but Mai has done a good job of preparing them.

June 26

4 scholarships. We’re looking at 12 players.

August 7

Clay Robb, C, is #2 on the Norton list. Sid Nee, PF, is #7, Ryan Roy, PG, is #28, Sean Hall, SG, is #45.

Papa Joe is still very quiet, very withdrawn. He visits his restaurants, but not every day. He did not fly to Bangkok in July, the first time he has missed since I have known the family.

August 21

We offer to 3 guards and a PF.

September 9

Papa Joe didn’t fly to Bangkok again this month.

Mai and Papa Joe had a long, loud discussion last night. I was not in the room and I tried hard not to eavesdrop, and it was in Thai, so I would have understood very little anyway. When Mai came to bed she was crying. 

Before I could say anything she said, “Just be quiet and hold me. Don’t ask. I’ll tell you when I am ready.”

Being no fool I did exactly as she asked.

September 18

We’re going to the Sunshine Shootout. Definitely a challenging schedule. We get commitments from a PG, a PF, and an SG. Still chasing a, SG.

Papa Joe doesn’t look any happier and he’s just as silent, but he’s going out more.

September 25

We get the SF. He’s rated the #1 recruit overall at the moment.

October 2

First day of practice. At least the first 7 on our squad are really good.

October 23

Papa Joe flies to Bangkok.

November 6

Exhibition games over. Let’s get this season started!

November 20

Great 1st week, beating 2 top 10 teams, 1 on the road.

All 4 recruits came in to sign.

Ranked #1.

November 27

#11 LSU beat us at their place. 3-1 after two weeks.

Mike More is putting pressure on Sid Nee. Right now More is playing very well and Nee is not.

The kids clearly miss Mama Li. It helps that they’re back in school, which they love as much as ever. 

Happy birthday to Lou who is now 5. Lili is 6 ½.

Papa Joe is showing just a tiny bit more of his old self. He flew to Bangkok again this month. I’m hoping to get a chance to chat with him but it hasn’t happened.

December 4

5-1. We beat #6 New Mexico this week. 10 assists for PG Ryan Ray in that game. Sid Nee really picked it up this week.

#10 Minnesota at home and then off to the Sunshine Shootout where we’re the #1 seed.

December 11

We won the Shootout after a scare in the semis, but it was a costly win. Clay Cupp, our starting Center is out for about two weeks with a shoulder injury. Mike More will come in for him.

We’re 9-1, back at #1 in the polls.

December 25

We end the pre-conference season 12-1, ranked #1, RPI #2. Cupp will be back at 100% for our next game.

We’re +8.6 per game on the boards, +4.5 on TOs, +15.3 on PPG. All 5 starters are averaging in double figures, Cupp leads in rebounding with 8.8. This is a powerful team.

Slowly but surely Papa Joe is getting back to being himself but he remains much quieter than he was. I still haven’t managed that chat with him.

January 15

5-0 start to conf. play. The conf. seems weak this year. Cal. is the only team that seems capable of challenging us.

January 22

On the other hand… Stanford upset us there, 60-63. Our shooting was horrible, 29.3%.

January 29

And this week we lose at home to #6 California. Very disappointing. We shot poorly again. The other factor was bench play. Their bench got 22 ours got 6. We don’t play Cal again so we really need to run the table to hope to finish first in conf.

Finally had that talk with Papa Joe. It was revealing on a number of issues. First, he and Mama Li had known each other all of their lives. She was his rock, his support, his confidante, his best friend. Second, he told me about the shouting match with Mai, which she had never explained to me. She told him he needed to snap out of it and run his businesses or sell them all. It was a long, involved discussion, but that’s what it boiled down to. He says he thought about it for awhile and realized she was right. His heart was not in it at first but he made himself go back to work. Eventually it became easier and he hoped that soon he would have the energy and enthusiasm for his work that he had always had. He was very grateful to Mai for “waking him up.”

February 5

2 easy wins and Cal lost a game so we’re tied for 1st.

February 12

2 wins. Cal won twice.

Clay Cupp is #7 and Sid Nee #16 on the Norton list.

February 19

One to play and we’re still tied with Cal. 

Mai and I both noticed that Papa Joe returned from this month’s flight to Bangkok with a spring in his step. No idea why, but it’s great to see. We are guessing that the passage of time is easing his pain.

February 26

We end the regular season tied with Cal. Since they beat us they will get the #1 seed in the conf. tourney. We’re 26-3, 14-2, ranked #1, RPI #3.

Ryan Ray is #1 in the country in assists, and Clay Cupp #2 in rebounds.

March 5

We lose Clay Cupp and Matt Fogg to the draft.

March 10

Colorado up first, in the round of 8. Beat them by 20 in Feb.

88-59. In a huge upset Oregon beat California by 3. We play Arizona next. Beat them by 8 there and 21 at home.

March 11

67-54. #4 seed Stanford for the title. They upset us by 3 at their place in January.

March 12

98-73. The only question is whether we will be #1 or #2 overall. Florida is #1 RPI. We’re 29-3, 14-2.

#1 South, #3 overall, which I find a bit difficult to believe. We play VMI first.

March 19

We get to the Sweet Sixteen with absolutely no difficulty.

Again this month Papa Joe comes back from Bangkok in a very happy frame of mind.

UMass is a #12 seed. They managed 2 upsets in order to get to th3 Sweet 16 to meet us.

March 24

79-55. We have yet to be challenged in the tourney but that may change in the Elite Eight. The match up with Cal that never happened in the conf. tourney is happening here. They beat us by 9 in the regular season.

March 26

67-54. Sean Hall banged up his leg but he should be fine for our next game. I took Wisconsin to the Final Four a few years ago. There’s nothing like it. This year we hope to win it all. We’ll play unranked Kentucky which got here from a #6 seed, which is very unusual. On the other side it’s Florida, the top seed in the tourney, vs. #2 seed, #4 ranked UConn.

Mai is coming to the Final Four. We have a nanny for the kids now, and she’s coming with the kids as well. Papa Joe shocked us by asking to come along. He’s been to a few games but never showed a great deal of interesting basketball.

“I am trying to develop interests in many things these days. I think the atmosphere will be fun and who knows, I may meet some possible future business partners. Lots of ‘big shots’ go to this.”

April 1

71-61, and we get to play for the title against Florida.

April 2

Mai and I are pretty certain we have discovered why Papa Joe comes back from Bangkok so happy. Tonight he introduced us to a business acquaintance in Bangkok who is here at the Final Four with his daughter. The daughter, Sing, is absolutely gorgeous, and the way she looks at Papa Joe, and he looks at her, says a great deal. She is about Mai’s age, we think. Papa Joe turns 60 in a few weeks and Mai is about to turn 34.

Florida is one terrific basketball team. They are strong all the way through and they have a deep bench. I think we’re about as good as they are, so it will come down to the intangibles.

April 3

90-92. So close! They made 17 threes including one with 3/10 of a second left. This was a shootout, not much D by either team, and they got the last shot.

April 4

Awards: Matt Fogg won the WS Player of the Year, national freshman of the year, and somehow didn’t make national 1st or 2nd team.  Clay Cupp made 2nd. I got national coach of the year. In conf., Matt was player and freshman of the year and 1st team, along with Sean Hall, Sid Ney, and Clay Cupp. Ryan Ray made 2nd team.

Papa Joe actually got to both games but we didn’t see much else of him. I’m guessing he and Sing painted the town. Given that the finals were held in Salt Lake City there isn’t much town to paint.

April 23

I ask for a facilities upgrade. I don’t get it.

Team Prestige is up to 87. My record, after 18 seasons, is 420-169, .713. Off.-65, 

Def.-90, Recruit-90, Scout-52, Player Development-83, Reputation-80.

Hopefully we’ll get that title next year.

May 28

We’re #2 preseason behind Florida.

Mai and Papa Joe have another long talk. It isn’t as long as the last one, and isn’t at all a shouting match. As a matter of fact I hear occasional laughter. When it ends Mai walks into our room with a smile.

“That old rascal!”

“Oh? What’s going on?”

“He’s going to marry her.”

“Really?”

“Yes, and she isn’t my age, she’s 29.”

“Wow! And she’s okay with that? And her family is okay with that?”

“It’s different there. First, our families have known each other for a very long time. Second, it is a very good match. Third, she really does love him.”

“When?”

“They will wait until my mother has been dead for a year, out of respect.”

“And the marriage will be there?”

“Yes, but they will live here.”

“Wow!”

June 5

We go into the transfer pool but the only guy we’re interested in goes to Indiana.

Mai’s younger brother Dani is very happy about the marriage but her older brother Jin is not. It’s interesting since he isn’t really a big part of the family. He came to the funeral but if we see him once in three years that’s about it. Papa Joe flew to Akron, where he now coaches at at a Division III school, and the conversation did not go well. Both Mai and Papa Joe have called a few times since but nothing has changed. Papa Joe is going ahead with the wedding, which will be in July, but Jin will not attend. The rest of us will fly to Bangkok.

June 26

5 scholarships. Looking at 11 guys.

The wedding plans are going forward. Papa Joe is flying to Bangkok about every 10 days.

July 5

In Bangkok for the wedding which took place yesterday. It was really nice and the couple seemed very happy. The whole family was here except for Jin, but his wife and two children were here. Papa Joe and Sing will live in Papa Joe’s house after they return from a short honeymoon trip. 

August 7

We have 6 on the Norton list including numbers 1, 3, and 5.

Papa Joe is busy as ever. Sing is lovely, easy to be with, just a great person. She works at the local Thai Garden and is really learning the business quickly. Incidentally, she’s no gold digger. Her father is a very successful business man and her family is very well off.

August 21

We offer to a PG, 2 SGs, a PF and a C.

September 18

We got 4 out of 5. Still chasing an SG.

Schedule is out. We’re starting with the Coaches Classic. We’re playing mostly ranked teams including several in the top 10.

October 2

We don’t get the 5th recruit and we decide to bank the scholarship since we have only one junior.

First day of practice.

Sing is pregnant. Mai is astonished at first and then she isn’t, she is amused. 

“I will be 35 when the baby is born. Not many 35 year olds have a newborn sibling.”

She laughs.

“And, the baby will have a niece who is 8 and a nephew who is 6.”

November 6

The roster is set.

Sing is 2 months pregnant. She is doing great. Like Mai she doesn’t experience much morning sickness, at least so far.

November 20

We breezed through the first two rounds of the Coaches Classic and then #1 Florida beat us by 9. I guess they still have our number. Hopefully we’ll get them next time.

November 27

A good week. We beat #2 North Carolina at home and #25 Iowa on the road.

Our front line is extremely strong. Jay Davis is our leading scorer and rebounder at the Small Forward position, but inside guys Sid Nee and Adam Brow are also playing well. Adam Brow at Shooting Guard is our 2nd leading scorer and Ray Ryan isn’t scoring much but he’s terrific with the ball, A/TO is 2.7. We’re getting good production from the bench as well.

Mai is getting soft about the new baby that will be arriving in the family.

December 4

53 rebounds in a win against #7 UConn. Another 2 win week.

December 11

Easy win against Kentucky then we got beat in OT by Kansas, who we beat by 16 in the Coaches Classic. Hard to figure the loss, 39 boards, 11 rebounds, no serious foul issues. We didn’t shoot well, 32.1%, but that was it.

Papa Joe is still busy, still traveling, but he manages to spend more time at home than at any time since I met him.

December 18

2 easy wins against unranked teams this week. 12 assists for Ryan Ray in one of them. 

December 25

3 point win at Duke, then a 28 point win over #6 Princeton. 

A great holiday with the kids and with Papa Joe and Sing. Sometimes Mai and I, in private, laughingly call her “Mama Sing.”

The kids are growing too quickly. Lili is 7 ½ and spends her time reading about science, and about how to program computers. Lou is 6 and he reads whatever he can get his hands on, and I don’t mean children’s books. He reads mysteries, sci fi aimed at adults (well, the ones we’ll let him read), fantasy, of course Harry Potter and others like it- you name it. 

Sing is still feeling great. Doc is saying end of June. Papa Joe is delighted. Mai continues to gush about the baby.

January 1, 2010

We win our first conf. game in a one game week.

Mai and I have a wild new year’s eve celebration. I think we were up until 11:30!

"So Blade, what do you think about us having one more baby?"

Oh boy! I was speechless but I'm sure the subject will come up again.

January 8

14-2, 3-0. +18.2 ppg, +8.3 rbpg, +3.8 topg. Our 5 starters are putting up terrific numbers and playing great D, and our first 2 off the bench, More and Hart, are just about as good.

The conf. seems weak this year. It looks like only Cal. can challenge us.

Mike More, our first big guy off the bench, hurts a knee but it doesn’t seem serious. The docs think he’ll be out about a week.

“Alvin, I have a problem.”

“Oh? What is it, Papa Joe?”

“Well it isn’t really a problem, more like an opportunity.”

“Tell me about it.”

“One of the major what do you call… fast food chains wants to buy Thai Gardens, all of the restaurants and the name.”

“And you don’t want to sell?”

“Well, I am not certain. They came to me a few weeks ago. I said no at first and they raised the offer. I said no twice more and they raised the offer both times. It is an enormous amount of money. We don’t need it, I have enough money for the next few generations of our family to live very comfortably, but it is never good business to refuse a very good offer.”

“Then I guess I don’t understand what the problem is.”

“The problem is, what will I do with myself!”

“Ah… hm… Papa Joe, you are a business genius. Begin another business.”

“I thought of that but I am not certain. I know the food business but, of course, if I sell, I cannot do that.”

“Have you spoken to Sing?”

“Of course. She does not yet know enough about business to give me sound advice but she suggests that I sell, then explore possibilities for a new business.”

“I think that is great advice. Wait! What about Dani and Sami, and the rest of the relatives.”

“The company very much wants to keep them and guarantees to pay 10% more than I have been paying, which is quite a bit above what most people in their positions earn. On the other hand, if I begin a new business I would want them with me. They are now experienced, and they are very good.”

“What about your brother in Bangkok?”

“Oh, I spoke to him and he says he would be happy to retire if I sell, after working for a year with the new people to make the transition smooth. Our relatives who work for him will keep their positions.”

“Well, there is a lot to think about. Is the price fair?”

“It is more than fair. They are now up to 500 million.”

“WOW!”

“It is a fair price, generous, but fair.”

“I don’t know how to advise you, Papa Joe, I am not a business man, but you have so much energy and you are so creative I think a new business would be enjoyable for you.”

“Yes, I have thought of that as well. I must make a decision soon. I told them by the 15th of this month so I have a week.”

January 15

A 2 win week but a close call at USC.

Papa Joe got them up to 585 million, and he agreed to stay on for 6 months to help with the transition, at a million a month salary for a maximum of 20 hours per week of work. Part of the deal is that he does not have to travel for meetings. He really wants to be here until after the baby is born. He says he is exploring options regarding a new business.

January 22

2 more easy wins. The USC game was the only close conf. game so far. We travel to #9 Cal this week, though.  We’re one up on them and Oregon.

Sing had a little scare this week but she’s fine. The doc isn’t worried.

January 29

A one point win at Arizona State, we shot poorly and didn’t play our usual tight D. Then we beat Cal by 17.

Jay Davis is #1 on the Norton list and Brad Vann is #7, Sid Nee #16, and Adam Brow #22.

Papa Joe was complaining of being bored. Lili took him by the hand and brought him to her computer. He uses computers and can do all of the normal things, but Lili taught him how to do advanced searches.

She said, “Papa Joe, this is important for you to learn. It will help you to learn about businesses you might want to open. My advice to you is to do a tech related business, that’s where the money is.”

He has been working at the computer ever since, whenever he has free time.

February 5

And yet another 2 win week. #21 Oregon was one back but we beat them by 23. We are 2 up on them and Cal., with 5 to play, and ranked #2, RPI #4.

Papa Joe says he will need to pay a consulting fee to Lili, he is asking her so many questions. I told him not to let her hear that or she would begin to negotiate it.

February 12

2 more easy wins. Up 2 games on Cal, 3 on Oregon, and at least 5 on everyone else, with 3 to play.

Kent Hart, our first big off the bench, strained his left calf. He’s out for a week to 10 days.

Sing continues to feel well, and she has not gained much weight.

Papa Joe says he wants to do something along the lines of either a business to business network, or a consumer network so that people can comparison shop either locally, regionally or nationally. He and Lili are in frequent discussions about all of this.

February 19

2 more easy wins. Now we’re 3 up on Cal, 4 on Oregon, and 5 or more on the rest. RPI is now 3.

Chad Reed, our first guard off the bench, hurt his back. He’s out for about 2 weeks.

February 26

We end the regular season 27-2, 16-0, and win the conf by 3. Ranked #2, RPI #3.

March 5

We lose three to the draft, Jay Davis, by far our best player, Kent Hart, our first big off the bench, and redshirt freshman Gar King.

March 10

Mai and Lou come to the tourney in Phoenix but Lili stays home.

“I’m too busy helping Papa Joe.”

We play Arizona in the round of 8. We beat them easily in both games this year.

84-49. Cal gets upset by Utah. We’ll play Stanford, who we beat by 24 earlier.

March 11

86-59, 37 and 8 for Davis who we’ll really miss. And Utah upset Oregon! So Utah comes from the #7 seed to play us for the title. We beat them by 27 and 24 in the regular season.

March 12

79-39.

Florida was upset in the finals of their tournament by #5 ranked Mississippi State. I’m wondering if that will give us the #1 seed overall.

Not in the East. Wake Forest is #1 overall.

Not in the Midwest. Florida is #1 there.

We’re #1 in the South. We’ll start in Atlanta.

Miss. ST is #1 in the West.

March 16

Oregon was upset in the first round.

March 17

Again, Mai and Lou are here in Atlanta, and Lili is not.

We start against Elon from the Colonial.

70-37. 21-10 Temple is next. 

March 19

89-70. On to the Sweet Sixteen in Dallas where we’ll play #5 seed, #7 ranked New Mexico ST.

March 24

“I really don’t have the time. Papa Joe needs my help.”

And so Lili stayed home again.

77-62. In the Elite Eight it will be #7 seed Kentucky, 21-12, unranked. We beat them by 12 in the regular season. 

March 26

84-75. They played well, we didn’t.

So it’s off to the Final Four where we’ll play #5 ranked, #2 RPI Mississippi State, 30-4. They beat Florida last week so they are definitely tough. They actually beat Florida both times they met them this year. 

Their PF and C are both terrific players. 

April 1

75-53 and we have a rematch of last year’s title game. We beat up Miss ST’s big guys, just dominated them.

Lili and Papa Joe are both with us here in Baltimore. They spend most of their time working, but at least they’re here.

Florida is the team that has it all. We’ll need to be at our very best.

April 3

71-74. Very much like last year except lower scoring. We had to play catch up, took the lead, traded it back and forth. Then at the end we scored to tie it with 11 seconds left. They brought it down and hit a 3 with 4/10 of a second left for the win. Their Shooting Guard had 32, including the three at the end. The frustration is overwhelming.

April 4

Awards: Jay Davis was national freshman of the year and 1st team all American. Brad Vann was 2nd team. In conf., Jay was POY, freshman OY, and 1st team. Brad Vann was defensive POY and 1st team. 

Sid Nee was 1st team, Adam Brow was 1st team.

April 15

Papa Joe lets us know that he will form a very complex consumer website. It will, on an hourly basis, let consumers know where they can buy any item valued at approximately $10 or higher most inexpensively, in their community, within a 50 mile radius of their home, and on line. He and Lili have been working out the details. Obviously they cannot do this on their own but they have found a web master, and all of the other tech people they need, and they have begun the process of doing what needs to be done to make this work.

“This is going to be huge, Alvin. And Lili is a full partner with me, including the right to vote at stockholders’ meetings. I could not have done this without her and she will be just as valuable as we move forward.”

I am shaking my head in disbelief. How is this even possible? Later on Lili confesses that she does a lot of work at night, after the rest of us are asleep. She evidently needs only about 5 hours sleep a night, so she spends a lot of time teaching herself the intricacies of the internet world, as well as the complexities of computers, from programming on out. 

Mai and I discuss all of it at length and decide that the best thing we can do is accept all of it but make certain that Lili gets enough sleep. She certainly never seems tired except at bedtime. She tells us she sleeps from 8:30, her bedtime, until about 1:30 and automatically wakes then and spends the rest of the night working.

April 23

I ask for a facilities upgrade. I got it. We go from B+ to A-.

We finished 35-3. Team Prestige is up to 92. My record is 455-172, .726. Reputation is up to 85. 

Hopefully next year will be our year.

June 5

Preseason #1.

Chad Reed transfers out. That leaves us with 8 scholarship athletes, only 3 of whom are guards. 

Sing is still feeling fine. She has gained 11 pounds and is due in less than a month.

We look at the transfer market but there’s no one there we have any interest in.

June 26

6 scholarships. We need at least 4 guards.

July 1

Sin gives birth to a healthy boy, Khee.

Papa Joe comes to Mai and I and asks us to please help with the baby if he isn’t around long enough to raise it to adulthood. We assure him that we will and tell him that we feel sure he’ll be around. He is so full of health and vitality.

August 7

6 on the Norton list: #1, 3, 5, 11, 15, 44.

Mama and baby still doing great.

“Blade…”

“Yes Mai.”

“Khee is a beautiful baby, isn’t he.”

“Yes he is.”

“Well… I …”

“What is it, Mai?”

“I’m pregnant.”

“Wow! How did that- I mean, I’m surprised.”

“Yes, well…”

It was a strange conversation. She never came out and said it but I got the impression that Mai had gotten so excited and happy about Sing’s pregnancy that she came to really want another child, and eventually she had stopped taking the pill. In any case there will be another baby in the family in February.

August 21

We offer to 3 guards, 2 SFs and a C.

September 18

We get 2 guards and a C, lose a couple.

No tournament this year but we loaded up on ranked teams.

September 25

We get an SG and a PF. We go after an SF with our final scholarship.

October 2

We’ll bank the last scholarship.

First day of practice goes very well.

November 6

Ready to go!

November 20

We started off beating #5 Wake Forest by 10 at home and followed with a 40 point win over Seton Hall. Rob Mark at SG and Al Samm at C both had two terrific games.

Three game road swing coming up next.

November 27

Lost 75-82 at #7 Oklahoma on a night when we just didn’t play D, and didn’t shoot well. No excuse for giving up 82 though.

Then we beat Duke 68-61.Samm and Mark have been terrific, and PG Brad Vann also scores points. I’d like fewer TOs and better shot selection.

December 4

We beat Oklahoma State by 10 then come home and clobber North Carolina. No complaints about rebounding, 45.3-31.2. Al Samm is averaging 17.8 and 14.0, and Rob Mark is getting 21.3 and 7.2. Sid Nee is getting 10.8 rebounds per game.

December 11

We beat #19 New Mexico by 23. Samm and Mark combine for 55. 11, 4, 9 for Vann.

Four home games coming up, 3 against ranked teams.

December 18

79-53 over Georgia Tech and 86-54 over #19 Minnesota.

December 25

63-51 over #5 Kentucky, 61-48 over #11 Maryland.

Khee is still doing great. Doc says he’s a little on the small side but perfectly healthy. Mai’s pregnancy is going as well as the first two did. We’re about two months away. Lili and Lou are fine with the new baby but not particularly excited. They play with Khee but not for long periods of time. They are both too preoccupied with their projects. 

Lili still spends a lot of time with Papa Joe. The most technical aspects of the new business are done by the webmaster and his crew but Lili and Papa Joe talk about the business aspects, and Lili serves as his technical assistant.

Lou is suddenly into sports statistics. His teacher thinks that’s a great way to learn math and designs projects around this interest. He’s also interested in astrophysics so there are projects in that field as well.

We’re about to start conf. play. Again this year it looks like Arizona and California will be our rivals.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this