interstellarshadow

Leah (Pronounced Lee) Jamison Dynasty Report [DDSPB3]

December 2, @ Denver (7-9): W 124-102

Griff Harrington had a complete stat line, with 28 points, 15 assists, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 blocks. Only Dobbins had more rebounds, with 9, and he had 32 points, four steals, and a block as well. Tomas Havens seems to be confirming the value of my trade with each game. Tonight, he had 21 points, 8 rebounds, 7 blocks and a steal.

Record: 13-3

December 5, @ Minnesota (12-5): W 130-110

Naim Baykurt broke out of a mini slump that had lasted for about 3 games, since he last scored 30. He repeated the feat tonight, going for 33, with 9 rebounds, a block and a dime. Coyotes’ Guard Carl Timon, who averaged 20 ppg last year, went for 28, but Baykurt, combined with the efforts of Harrington and Havens were more than enough to erase his affect. Havens had a double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds, plus 4 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks. Harrington was able to tally 19 points, while also dishing his way to 8 assists, 3 rebounds, and a pair of steals.

Record: 14-3

December 6, @ Dallas (12-4): W 126-114

Griffin Harrington went for 40, with 6 dimes, 4 rebounds, a block and a steal. Dobbin’s double-double was focused more on rebounding, with 15 boards, 11 points, 2 dimes, and 6 blocks, while Havens’ was a bit more scoring-oriented: 21 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 3 blocks. Baykurt also managed a 20 point output, putting up 21 and 8, plus a block, 3 assists, and 2 steals. Corey Akins led the way for the Rangers with 34. I want so much for this game to have been what game 7 was, rather than the game 7 we actually played.

Record: 15-3

December 9, vs Boston (12-6): W 138-122

Harrington had 23 points and 13 assists in the matchup against the Irish. Havens had an off night, and defense wasn’t our strongest area, but we had 7 players score more than fifteen points, with Nagid joining the Double-double club with 19 points and 13 rebounds as we post an eleven rebound margin.

Record: 16-3

December 11, vs Atlanta (4-13): W 124-96

5 blocks from Baykurt, plus 3 blocks and a steal from Havens, with 2 steals from Evans led the defensive efforts in this eighteen point blowout against the Eagles, holding them to a 38.4% shooting clip. Oliver Dobbins had a game-high 29 points and 13 rebounds, while Harrington came close to notching his first triple double of the season, scoring 17 with 10 assists and 8 rebounds. Evans was able to tally 18 points, though, besides the 2 steals, he didn’t have too many other statistical contributions, though he did shoot better than 50%.

Record: 17-3

December 13, vs Seattle (12-10): W 121-98

Harrington collected 13 assists, along with 14 points, four steals, 3 rebounds, and a block on the night, easily demonstrating his superior skill to opposing guard Tom Phillips. Evans returned to the bench because of an injury, and in 19 minutes of playing time, recorded 5 points, 2 steals, 2 assists, and 2 rebounds. Meanwhile Clay Holland demonstrated his reliability as a backup with 22 points and 3 dimes, on 50% shooting, making 2 of three 3 pointers. Yet it was Baykurt’s night to write home about. He had 26 points, 4 dimes, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a steal to help force the Speed to give up 25 turnovers on the night.

Record: 18-3

2013 Draft Class Preview #2

1. (N/R) PF Tyler Meekins (6-8, 244), JR Houston, 20.3 ppg, 3.7 apg, 10.5 rpg, 1.8 bpg, 1.0 spg

2. (1.) SF Jefferson Andrews (6-7, 203), SO Arizona, 18.8 ppg, 3.2 apg, 5.6 rpg, 0.9 bpg, 1.1 spg

3. (N/R) C Aleksandr Chernyaev (6-9, 260), 20 y/o Russia, 20.3 ppg, 4.2 apg, 6.9 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 1.0 spg

4. (3.) C Elton Jones (6-9, 267), HS James Chressel High School, 13.9 rpg, 3.4 apg, 15.1 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 2.0 spg

5. (N/R) C Ickais Stekel (7-5, 295), 19 y/o Latvia, 17.3 ppg, 5.1 apg, 12.6 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 1.5 spg

Being able to run around and ball at 7’5 is quite impressive, but I don’t think that Stekel will be a very good NBA player. He’s going to have to play Hibbert-esque defense to avoid being little more than enormous body. He should be averaging at least 2 blocks a game in international competition to be an excellent prospect. I think he’s lottery, but not top 5. If Meekins can keep up his performance, he would be a nice prospect at the PF spot, and Jone’s is good too. I’m not sold on Andrews, since his defense could use quite a bit of work, and his scoring has dropped off in the past month.

My projects:

Saving the Sonics - NBA basketball Dynasty (Fantasy Players)

Football World 2013 - Data editing a new world for fantasy soccer simulations

PCF International - International Pro Basketball (Real Players)

December 16, @ Washington (5-19): W 125-114
Nagid, coming off the bench had a great night, scoring 19, with 7 boards and 5 steals. Evans had 20 points, and 8 boards, while Baykurt had 20 and 2 steals, where Dobbins scored sixteen with 2 blocks and a steal. Havens and Harrington each recorded a double-double: Havens had 14 points and 13 boards, while Harrington added 12 assists to 18 points. Stukes did what he always does, but still couldn’t rescue the Americans from their disastrous season.

Record: 19-3

December 17, vs San Antonio (10-12): L 116-113
There were four seconds left in the game, with the score reading 113 all, when Outlaws PG Kurtis Scholl received an inbounds pass around 30 feet from the basket. He took one dribble and pulled up, the ball soaring over court. It hit front iron, bounced up, into the backboard, and fell into the basket, as the buzzer sounded. Despite the score, and that play, everyone in the arena knew that Harrington had resoundingly outplayed him, to the tune of 21 points, and 18 dimes, with 8 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks. He had fouled out after 40 minutes of play, sitting out the final possessions. Who knows what would happen if he were in? Oh well, I say, we can only move on and win the next one. Dobbins also had a double-double, with 13 points and 11 boards.

Record: 19-4

December 19, vs Chicago (13-11): W 113-94
Revenge is sweet, even if we can’t exact it on San Antonio yet. Instead Chicago is subject to our fury. They shoot under 40% on the night, and Harrington’s 24 points, 11 assists, 7 rebounds and 2 steals are the lead cause. Evans also had 24, making 9 of 17 shots. Dobbins had 16 points and 15 boards, including 6 offensive rebounds. Nagid also got a double-double, with 13 points and 11 rebounds.

Record: 20-4

December 20, @ Brooklyn (10-13): L 119-126
I always relish playing against Brooklyn and Dudley, as each encounter validates the trade I made for Zulu. Yet, as I have traded him away, for a center who is arguably worse than Dudley (but better in my system IMO) it seems that our matchups don’t have as much meaning anymore. I don’t say that because we lost but I definitely feel it. The Center matchup is no longer directly competitive, since Havens isn’t as big or strong as Dudley, who had 32 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks and a steal on the night. He shot 11 for 22, and 10 for 21 from the line (Free throw). They also had 7 players in double figures. Baykurt put up a very nice 26 points, four rebounds, block and 2 steals, while Harrington had 20 points and 13 dimes, with four steals, and five boards in 43 minutes of play. Fouls were a big issue for our team as we had forty-five of them on the night, good to foul 5 players out.

Record: 20-5

December 23, vs Miami (14-11): L 110-102
I’m starting to see problems as we drop 2 in a row. Baykurt did quite a lot to keep us in the game, scoring 21, with 10 boards, 2 steals, 2 dimes and 4 blocks. Harrington had 26 points, 8 dimes, a rebound and 3 steals, but Dobbins decided to not actually play basketball, even when he spent his short time on the floor. Havens fouled out in 24 minutes, which seems to be a common occurrence. Marcus Alexander was able to take advantage of the void left Dobbins’ absence, scoring 29 to lead the Burn to a 8 point win.

Record: 20-6

December 25, vs Brooklyn (12-13): L 103-109
A revenge game, Havens wanted to, in no way, resemble his previous performance, and he didn’t. He scored 19 points, had six blocks, and limited Dudley to 7 points in 23 minutes. Baykurt had 24, and Evans, 23, but Harrington was outmatched by Ivan Salinas, fouling out and having a poor performance overall. Dobbins was still in the dumps, but managed to make up slightly for a 2 point, 1 for 6 performance, by getting 3 steals, 2 blocks and 8 boards, but neither I, nor coach are very happy about the three game slide that has us sitting 4 games back of New York.

Record: 20-7

December 27, @ Chicago (15-13): L 118-129
I don’t understand what is happening! 27 team dimes, 9 team blocks, and 10 team steals, to go with a 3 board margin, a 50% shooting percentage, and great numbers from the starting five shouldn’t result in a loss, right? Dobby came out of his slump with a vengeance, scoring 24 points, grabbing 10 boards, and fouling Zulu out, scoreless, in 12 minutes. Evans had 32 points, and 7 boards, plus 2 blocks and 3 steals. But 30 points from Jarrod Conway, 22 from Dickey West (Havens came off the bench for only 14 minutes of play), and 25 from Ray Johnson, who also had 14 boards. We have 2 days off before playing Miami, and I am seriously considering making a change.

Record: 20-8

December 30, @ Miami (16-12): L 95-104
This is just embarrassing! Miami are 4 games back from us (well, now 3), and we are getting scorched for the second time, and have now lost 5 in a Row!!! Alexander had 23 points, 15 dimes, and 7 rebounds, while we floundered to shoot 42 percent from the floor.

Record: 20-9

I call up Coach Ali Jones. “Can you give me any explanation why our team is completely failing to put together a complete ball game? One where, you know, we beat a team we are supposed to beat?”

“No sir. Our shots are mostly falling, we are running the plays, but we can’t seem to actually pull out a win.”

“Well, as the head coach, earning almost 4 million dollars a year, you should. That is why, I believe, that with the roster we have, a good coach shouldn’t be able to lose games in a row to teams that are hovering around .500.”

“What are you saying?”

“You know exactly what I am saying. Your services here are no longer required. I expect your office to be cleaned out by morning.”

Turning around, I call up Deshawn McGadney, a 68 year old, with 20 years of head coaching experience and 11 rings.

“Hi Coach, its Leah Jamison from the Freedom.”

“What can I do for you Leah?”

“I’m calling because we have an opening in our coaching staff. We are gunning for a championship, and our recent woes have put me at odds with Coach Jones. I’ve shown him the door. Do you want to help us get a ring, and make it your twelfth?”

“It sounds like a good job. Yet, I’m sixty-eight years old. I am not a young guy any more. Championships alone won’t do it for me.”

“I am prepared to offer you a 24 million dollar, 3 year contract. You’ll earn about 8 million a year.”

“Sounds pretty good. I’ll hook my lawyer up with your guys, and they’ll work out the terms. When do I start?”

“Tomorrow, if you can.”

“Lucky for you, I’m already in the Philly area. I want everyone ready for a shootaround, film session, and a very light practice.”

We finished the conversation, and I brooded. I hope the move would work. If it does, I made it not a moment too soon. In just under a week, we’ll be playing New York, and we have to be ready.

December 31, vs Indiana (7-22): W 78-100
Because I was flying back from a GM meeting in New York City, I missed the game. But when I finally arrived at the airport, I checked up on the box score and had some combination of laughter and tears. What have you done, Dobby? He pulled out all the stops to impress our new coach, scoring fifteen and cleaning up with a league season-high 24 rebounds, and 6 blocks. I was stunned. We held the Racers to 37% shooting, and forced them to miss 10 of 11 three pointers.

Record: 21-9

Standing: 2nd East

League Leaders:
Assists: Griffin Harrington, PHI: 11.0
Rebounds: Chris Shelton, SEA: 12.1
Blocks: McEverett Woods, NYM: 3.9
Steals: Stevie Perine, GSS, 4.3
Efficiency: Scott Stukes, 34.0

Rookie Leaders:
Assists: Robert Radl, IND: 4.4
Rebounds: Paris Carroll, HOU: 5.9
Blocks: Lamond Woods, DAL: 1.4
Steals: Bradley Green, SEA: 1.5
Efficiency: David Burke, SDR: 14.3

Player of the Month: Scott Stukes, WAS (37.1 ppg, 1.5 apg, 7.3 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.6 bpg, 34.0 eff)
Rookie of the Month: David Burke, SDR (13.3 ppg, 1.3 apg, 5.6 rpg, 0.7 spg, 0.6 bpg, 14.3 eff)

My projects:

January 3, @ New Orleans (18-11): W 101-97
With an entry in every useful statistical category, Rowan Evans (28 pts, 4 ast, 4 reb, 1 blk, 1 stl) was the man against New Orleans tonight. Amongst the starters, only he and Griff Harrington were unable to record double-doubles. Harrington had only 8 points to go with his 16 dimes, 3 boards, 3 steals, and 5 blocks. Baykurt led the team in rebounding, with 13 boards, 15 points, and 3 blocks, though neither Dobbins nor Nagid were any worse. Dobbins had 21 points and 11 boards, plus a block and 3 steals, while Nagid had 18, 10 and 2 blocks with a steal. Reggie Stokes led the Wasps with 16 points in fifteen minutes of play off the bench.

Record: 22-9

January 4, vs New Orleans (18-12): W 125-109
Harrington scored 30, with 12 dimes, and 2 boards tonight, while Evans wasn’t far behind with 28 points. Evans also had8 boards and 5 assists. Oh, and I forgot to mention, he was 12 of 12 from the floor (despite missing 2 free throws). Nagid was also spectacular, with 18 points, 12 boards, six assists and 3 steals. Jason Herron, their starting SG scored a team high 24 for the Wasps.

Record: 23-9

January 6, vs New York (27-4): W 148-108
We may have hit a bit of a rough spot against the weaker teams, but we showed that we could still ball with the number 1 team tonight. Griff led all scorers with 32, also garnering 10 dimes, 4 boards, and a steal. Havens returned to his starting position, mostly recovered from an ankle sprain about 10 days ago. Nagid made 16 of 24 free throws on his way to 28 points and 7 boards, while Dobbins had 24, with 10 boards, and 3 steals. The bench was hot from downtown, making 6 of 10 three pointers. For New York, Marcus Griffin led the way with 29 points.

Record: 24-9

January 8, vs Milwaukee (13-17): W 136-119
Naim Baykurt suffered a concussion during practice, and didn’t start in the game, playing only 8 minutes, and scoring 4 points. Evans moved to the Small Forward spot, while Holland took the SG slot. He had 11 dimes, and 15 points, while Harrington played off-ball a lot and scored 29 on 11 for 18 shooting, despite being ice-cold from beyond the arc. Havens had 25 points, 9 rebounds, four blocks, four steals, and 3 dimes. Dobby had 20 points, 3 blocks, 3 steals, 3 dimes, and 12 boards. Moose SF Nick Porter had a team-high 28 points for them.

Record: 25-9

January 10, @ Cleveland (11-21): L 110-121
Bratislav Pauk was the game’s best performer, and we had a weird lineup, with Bakurt playing center, so he was able to score 31 and grab 8 boards to claim the Player of the Game award. Griff had 25 and 9 dimes, but that wasn’t enough to take the ball game.

Record: 25-10

January 11, vs Los Angeles (13-22): W 121-111
Dobbins had a game-high 29 points, and also gathered 10 boards, five on the offensive end. Baykurt managed 11 boards and 18 points, while Harrington had 21, 8 assists, and 9 boards. For LA, the best player was PG Jin-song Hsu, with 15 points and dimes, five boards, 4 steals, and a block.

Record: 26-10

January 14, vs Maimi (23-13): W 119-106
Evans had a game-high 29 tonight, with a smattering of other contributions (3 dimes, 2 rebounds, and a steal). Harrington had 20 and 9 dimes, with 9 rebounds, pushing the triple-double line, but still not reaching it. Marcus Alexander had a double-double for the Burn, with 18 points and 11 assists, before fouling out late in the fourth. Dobby had our only double-double, with 19 points and 10 boards, also blocking 2 shots.

Record: 27-10

Standing: 2nd East (3.5 GB)

Draft Watch:
1. J.B. Linderman, PF, 6’10”, 239, SO for Missouri: 18.8 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 5.3 apg
2. Jefferson Andrews, SF, 6’7”, 203, SO for Arizona: 20.5 ppg, 3.5 apg, 6.1 rpg
3. Icikas Stekel, C, 7’5”, 295, 19 y/o from Latvia: 19.5 ppg, 5.8 apg, 14.2 rpg
4. Orlando Thomas, 6’1”, 185, HS, 26.5 ppg, 11.7 apg, 10.0 rpg
5. Roberto Marshall, 7’4” 270, SO from Xavier, 17.3 ppg, 3.7 apg, 11.8 rpg

Orlando Thomas looks a lot like Colin Edwards. He has very similar stats, so I bet that is what made him come out as a High School Senior. It looks like he might be a slightly better defensive player, but that still remains to be seen. Linderman might actually be the real deal. He can score, rebound and pass with the best of them. If he could play a lick of defense, he would be a lock for the number 1 pick, but he can’t. Stekel seems to be showing mad rebounding skills. Let’s see if he can keep it up.

My projects:

January 16, @ Orlando (19-18): W 119-106
With 22 points, Dobby was the best player on the night. He also had 9 boards, 3 steals and 3 blocks. He wasn’t either the game-high scorer, or even the team-high, however. Clay Holland took the team-high crown from him, with just one more point scored on 10 for 15 shooting. Brandon Gervin had 24 points and 6 dimes to claim the game-high scoring title for the Mystics.

Record: 28-10

January 17, @ Boston (23-14): W 134-126
The Irish are fighting to stay in the hunt for home-court advantage come April, and currently sit ½ a game back from the 4th seed. Their loss to our team won’t help things on that count. Harrington was a beast, recording 22 points (perfect at the charity stripe), 18 dimes, and 3 steals. Evans led the team in rebounding with 23 points and 7 boards, also getting 3 dimes, 2 steals, and a block. SF Andrej Zore had 31 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks for the Irish, with Hemsley notching a double-double with 13 points and 10 dimes.

Record: 29-10

Upsettingly, Dobbins has torn his Achilles, and will be out of action for the season. This throws an enormous spanner in our championship dreams, but I will have to just hope that we can pull out a win without him.

January 22, vs Orlando (19-21): W 130-94
So the Mystics didn’t do well in the near-week since we last met, and didn’t improve their lot against us. Baykurt is finally in his natural position, and played like it. He had 29 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 blocks. Nagid decided that he was going to be a bamf on the boards, with 15, making a double-double with his 10 points. Evans had 25, Harrington had 20 and 6, with 2 blocks, and we finally gave a few minutes to bench players, which the new coach is really reluctant to do.

Record: 30-10

January 24, @ Detroit (24-17): W 104-95
Detroit will be looking to bounce back strong after an embarrassing forty point loss to the Irish, but Clay Holland and his 26 points say otherwise. It wasn’t all Holland, however, as Griff Harrington had a game that matched just about all of his averages, with 22 points, 11 dimes, and 4 rebounds. Havens had 11 points and 5 blocks off the bench, though our big men picked up a bunch of fouls trying to defend McAfee and Moore. Edwards managed seven points in 6 minutes off the bench.

Record: 31-10

January 26, @ San Antonio (22-20): W 130-108
Another game where we defend our league-leading offense. We shot 60% from the field in a game where everything seemed to be going our way. Harrington had 21 points and career-high 23 dimes. He also tallied 4 rebounds, 2 steals and a block (with only 1 turnover). Nagid had 14 points and 14 boards, while Baykurt had 31 points in a game where we scored the first basket and never fell behind again.

Record: 32-10

January 27, @ Sacramento (16-24): W 102-84
Griff had 23 points, 18 dimes and 4 boards in this one, as Baykurt goes HAM with a 19 point and 18 rebound outing. Six players score in double figures as we hold off the Royals with an 11 rebound margin.

Record: 33-10

January 29, @ Houston (16-26): L 122-130
Leo Blevins went off for 43 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 dimes in this high scoring affair in Houston. Clay Holland managed to score 31, but tonight’s game-breaker was Colin Edwards, who played 22 minutes behind Griff, who was in foul trouble throughout the game. He had 5 TO’s which was out undoing, as we cough up on 20 possessions—8 more than the Blast—and lose by 8.

Record: 33-11

January 30, @ Phoenix (11-31): W 128-120
Discounting last night, Harrington has been great as of late, and he continued his stellar play with a 29 point, 21 assist outing where he also lit it up on defense, grabbing 5 boards, 2 blocks and 3 steals. Baykurt has been the clear #2 guy after Dobbins went down, and he had 28 points, 10 rebounds, a steal and a block tonight. Clay Holland has also been stepping it up, and he had 31 points on 11 for 19 shooting, including 3 of 6 from long-range. Ron Scholl was best for Phoenix, with 23 points, 9 boards, 3 steals and 8 blocks.

Record: 34-11

Standing: 2nd East (2 GB)

League Leaders:
Assists: Griffin Harrington, PHI: 11.4
Rebounds: Chris Shelton, SEA: 12.7
Blocks: McEverett Woods, NYM: 3.8
Steals: Stevie Perine, GSS: 3.5
Efficiency: Shaun Horan, UTA: 32.3

Rookie Leaders:
Assists: Robert Radl, IND: 4.6
Rebounds: David Burke, SDR: 6.5
Blocks: Lamond Woods, DAL: 1.3
Steals: Bradley Green, SEA: 1.6
Efficiency: David Burke, SDR: 14.8

My projects:

Due to a crash. January 16-31 needs to be redone. Welcome back to the land of the Living, Oliver Dobbins (At least for now).

My projects:

January 16, @ Orlando (19-18): W 110-97

Baykurt went off for 27 points and 11 rebounds. He also recorded a block and a steal. Harrington’s output wasn’t unimpressive either. He had 13 points, and 13 assists. He also had 2 steals, 3 blocks, and 6 boards. Dobbins managed 5 blocks and 3 steals, and we limited Orlando to 45% shooting on their home floor.

Record: 28-10

January 17, @ Boston (23-14): W 120-115

Dobbins had 23 points, 14 rebounds, 6 blocks, a steal, and an assists on the night in the win against Boston. Baykurt had 3 blocks and 12 rebounds despite only scoring 8 points, and Harrington was also impressive with 19 points, 16 dimes, and 2 blocks. Qian Dai Had 28 points and 16 boards, while also blocking two shots and collecting 3 steals.

Record: 29-10

January 22, vs Orlando (20-20): W 109-83

Griff flirted with a triple-double, with 23 points, 10 dimes, seven assists and 3 blocked shots. Evans returned to the SG spot and was 11 for 18, scoring 25 points, and doing his thing on D, with a block and two steals. Dobbins didn’t really rebound tonight, but was excellent throughout the rest of his game as well, with 15 points, 4 blocks and 3 steals. Nagid had a double-double with 14 points and 10 boards.

Record: 30-10

January 24, @ Detroit (26-15): L 111-116

A road loss in what is arguably the toughest stretch of the schedule isn’t the worst thing to have happen, especially when it took a monster effort from Nate Moore, who had 36 points, 10 boards, 2 blocks and 5 steals. Evans switched back to SF, with 9 points, a pair of blocks, 9 boards, 3 dimes, and a steal. Harrington scored 14 points, with 14 dimes, and recorded two steals, but had five turnovers. Perhaps most impressive for us on the night, however, was Dobbins, who had 25 points, 14 rebounds, 7 blocks, 3 steals, 2 dimes, and—sadly—6 turnovers. We stayed in the game, despite trailing by as many as 17, and almost closed the gap in the final minutes, but couldn’t finish the job.

Record: 30-11

January 26, @ San Antonio (21-21): W 128-112

This road trip turns West with a bounce-back win against the Outlaws. Baykurt had a game-high 30 points and 11 boards, also recording 3 blocks, but it was Griff with the performance of the night. He had 17 points on 7 for 10 shooting, 22 assists, 5 boards, and 2 blocks on the night. Clay was lackluster, but both Evans and Dobbins had a good showing.

Record: 31-11

January 27, @ Sacramento (15-25): W 122-105

Baykurt continued his scoring ways with 30 points, while only missing one of his 15 shots, and 9 rebounds. He also had four steals in the win. Evans also poured it in, making 11 of 15 on his way to 29 of his own. You would bet that a performance like that would be good for the PG, and you are right, as Harrington notched his 83rd double-double for the Freedom (27th of the season) with 17 points and 10 dimes.

Record: 32-11

January 29, @ Houston (16-26): W 122-112

Harrington was tired of not really being mentioned on the news articles, except as a ‘notable performer,’ so he poured in a bunch of his own points. He wasn’t particularly efficient with his shot, only making 12 of 28, but he was able to spend a while at the line, with 14 of fifteen free throws converted. He also had 13 dimes and 5 rebounds, which was good enough to show that he was, by no means, playing selfishly. All starters were in double figures, and Baykurt put together a double-double, with 25 points and 12 boards. DuJuan Stewart had 27 points to lead the Blast, despite the loss.

Record: 33-11

January 30, @ Phoenix (13-29): L 113-127

Ron Scholl was the man for Phoenix tonight, as he goes for 26, with 8 boards and 4 steals. He helped Phoenix hold a slim margin through the first half and built upon it in a monster 3rd quarter. It was closer in the fourth, but the Beams were victorious in the end.

Record: 33-12

Standing: 2nd East (4 GB)

League Leaders:

Assists: Griffin Harrington, PHI: 11.3

Rebounds: Chris Shelton, SEA: 12.3

Blocks: McEverett Woods, NYM: 4.0

Steals: Stevie Perine, GSS: 3.5

Efficiency: Shaun Horan, UTA: 32.3

Rookie Leaders:

Assists: Robert Radl, IND: 4.7

Rebounds: David Burke, SDR: 6.6

Blocks: Lamond Woods, DAL: 1.5

Steals: Bradley Green, SEA: 1.6

Efficiency: David Burke, SDR: 15.6

Player of the Month: Shaun Horan – SF – Utah (30.0 ppg, 5.7 apg, 7.9 rpg, 2.0 spg, 1.1 bpg)

Rookie of the Month: David Burke – C – San Diego (13.7 ppg, 1.2 apg, 6.6 rpg, 0.6 spg, 0.6 bpg)

My projects:

February 1, @ Seattle (22-21): W 107-95

Harrington led the charge with 19 points and 9 dimes on the night, also tallying a block and a pair of steals. Clay Holland converted 3 three-pointers on the way to scoring 21 points, and Baykurt had 12 points and 11 boards on the night for our team’s only double-double. Speed Center Chris Shelton was big for them, despite the loss, as he tallied 23 and 11 boards.

Record: 34-12

February 4, vs Utah (26-19): W 120-107

Harrington was spectacular tonight, scoring 29, with 11 dimes, 6 boards, 3 steals and a block. Scoring was easy for both teams, and thus rebounding suffered for everyone. Evans of 6 of 9 for 17 points and Dobbins scored 20. Baykurt was able to acquire 5 blocks and 2 steals to join his 13 points, while we were less than able to slow down Horan’s scoring, as he got 31.

Record: 35-12

February 5, @ Boston (32-16): L 124-130

In an overtime thriller, Boston was able to get the better of us behind 32 points from SG Brad Phelan. Hemsley had 21 and 13 dimes on the night as well. On the flip side, Harrington scored 26 points, had 17 dimes, and 7 rebounds in forty-six minutes of play. Evans had 20 points, and both teams had 7 players in double figures. We were down by six rebounds in the final tally, which, coupled with a lopsided free-throw line performance, was the chief reason we were unable to keep the lead.

Record: 35-13

February 6, vs San Diego (20-26): W 126-114

Harrington went off for 40 points and 11 dimes, with 6 boards, a block, and a steal, while Evans had 26 and 8 boards. Dobby had a double-double with 17 points and 11 boards. He also did it on the defensive end, with 3 steals and four blocks. For the Riders, Luka Borstner, their leading scorer, had 26 points and 11 rebounds, while early ROY favorite David Burke had 17 points and 8 bards.

Record: 36-12

February 8, vs Houston (17-32): 115-89

Dobby was nasty against the Blast, with 34 points and 15 rebounds. He also had 3 blocks and a steal on the night. Since the playbook tonight was give it to Dobby and let him iso it out, Harrington only had 6 dimes, but managed to give himself a few points in the confusion. He had 22 on the night. DuJuan Stewart had 20 to lead the Blast, who shot 39% as a team.

Record: 37-13

February 11, @ Indiana (16-35): W 110-106

Harrington had 39 points and 10 dimes in the blowout win against Indiana. Robert Radl had 24 points for Indiana, and Alen Trumbic had 30, but neither performance was enough to outshine a solid all-around performance from the entire starting lineup for Philly.

Record: 38-13

February 12, vs Denver (33-18): W 115-94

Dobbins was beastly against Denver, with 18 points, 5 rebounds, 3 dimes, 6 blocks, and 2 steals Harrington had 20 points and 12 dimes, with 2 blocks and 3 steals, while Evans had 22 on 10 of 14 shooting at the SG spot, and Nagid had a 24 point, 6 rebound, and 4 steal outing.

Record: 39-13

Dunk Contest: Jody Jones blew away the competition in the first round, and used a solid finals showing to take the cake. Carl Regis came out of the D-league to put in token effort for Philly. He was a solid last in the competition.

Long Distance Shooting: Evans’ 17 points weren’t quite enough to get him out of the first round, instead Brian Dunlop, one of two who had 18 first round points (the leader of the first round had 20), scored 21 to take the finals.

Rookie-Sophomore Game: R 127-150 S

The backcourt trio of Hemsley, Evans, and Stewart was too much to hand as they scored in bunches, distributed the basketball, and played solid Defense. Hemsley had 21 and 9 dimes, with 2 steals, while Stewart had 31 points, 5 dimes, with 7 steals, and Evans had 21 points, 2 steals, and a block. The rookie effort was well distributed, with 8 players scoring in double figures (ten scored in all).

All Star Game:

Griff got the starting PG position for the Eastern All Stars, and put on a show. He had 16 points and 14 assists, despite his team losing by 7

allstar2012.png?attredirects=0

Draft Watch:

1 (N/R). Elton Jones, C, 6’9”, 267, HS, 14.7 ppg, 3.6 apg, 16.0 rpg

2 (2). Jefferson Andrews, SF, 6’7”, 203, SO for Arizona: 21.2 ppg, 3.7 apg, 6.4 rpg

3 (N/R). Siloma Maid, PF, 6’10”, 220, 19 y/o from Latvia, 22.3 ppg, 2.9 apg, 8.8 rpg

4 (3). Icikas Stekel, C, 7’5”, 295, 19 y/o from Latvia: 19.7 ppg, 5.8 apg, 14.4 rpg

5 (1). J.B. Linderman, PF, 6’10”, 239, SO for Missouri: 21.2 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 5.9 apg

I don’t like either of the new additions to the top five. Jones looks a lot like Thomas Robinson did in the real world, and Magid is like a less good version of Stekel.

My projects:

February 20, vs Minnesota (29-23): W 104-85

Clay Holland started the game tonight and had 20 points to lead the team. We played stingy D and forced a nine turnover margin. No one was particularly efficient from the field (only 4 players shot 50% better (Evans, Baykurt, Havens and Thornton). It was an ugly game, but a good win for us.

Record: 40-13

TRADE:

Utah Blues send Shaun Horan to Waves for Ed Brown, 2013 2nd Round Pick (LAL)

Winner: Los Angeles

This is a blockbuster deal, without a doubt. Shaun Horan is an MVP favorite, and Ed Brown was an All Star last year (Reserve). When you read that sentence over in your head, this will make you see how one-sided this trade actually is. The best basketball player in the world is getting traded for a lowly near-All Star, and a second round pick. I don’t see exactly how Utah was willing to make this trade. They should have at least gone for a first-rounder. Anyways, now the Waves have the best ballplayer on the planet, and are looking to find their way back into contention.

February 22, vs Detroit (34-19): W 99-103

Still a bit cold as a team, we are able to win against the Gears behind 20 points and 7 boards from Harrington. Dobby had a double-double and some D, with 10 points, 10 boards, 3 steals, and 5 blocks. We make up for sloppy play, ceding 21 turnovers, by getting to the line early and often, crashing the boards hard, and playing hard nosed defense.

Record: 41-13

February 24, @ Atlanta (16-39): W 110-100

Griff went for 26 points and 10 dimes, also getting 5 boards, a block and a steal, while every other starter scored at least fourteen. Evans pulled out of a cold spell, scoring 15 on six for eleven shooting, and also gathering 5 boards and a block. It was, however, Baykurt who outperformed him, with 18 points, 15 boards, and 2 blocks. It was a good win to take advantage of a team that was struggling.

Record: 42-13

February 27, @ Detroit (35-20): W 119-108

Clay Holland went off for 28 points, making 4 of 8 from behind the arc, while Evans also scored 20, and Dobbins had 18. Griff had a goose egg in scoring, but posted 10 dimes. It wasn’t a great win, but we shot 50% as a team, and 42% from behind the arc, while holding the Gears to much worse shooting marks, so we are OK with the result.

Record: 43-13

February 28, vs New Orleans (32-25): L 111-118

Ryan Kurtz, the PG for New Orleans, had 22 points, 14 assists and 6 steals, on a statement night for them. Kurtz wants to prove himself as one of the elite PG’s in the game, and he was able to put on a show against Griff, who tweaked his knee yesterday against Detroit. Dobbins had 24 points, 8 boards, 2 steals, and 4 blocks, while Evans had 21 and 7 boards. Jason Herron also scored 27 for the Wasps, who ended our 7 game winning streak.

Record: 43-14

Standing: 2nd East (3.5 GB)

League Leaders:

Rebounds: Chris Shelton, SEA: 12.4

Assists: Griffin Harrington, PHI: 10.9

Blocks: McEverett Woods, NYM: 3.9

Steals: Justin Toxey, POR: 3.5

Efficiency: Shaun Horan, LAW: 32.0

Rookie Leaders:

Rebounds: David Burke, SDR: 7.0

Assists: Robert Radl, IND: 4.8

Blocks: Lamond Woods, DAL: 1.4

Steals: Bradley Green, SEA: 1.5

Efficiency: David Burke, SDR: 16.3

Player of the Month: Shaun Horan, LAW (30.1 ppg, 5.5 apg, 7.4 rpg, 2.1 spg, 1.1 bpg. 1 triple double)

Rookie of the Month: David Burke, SDR (14.6 ppg, 1.3 apg, 7.0 rpg, 0.5 spg, 0.5 bpg)

My projects:

March 2, vs Portland (43-14):

Sitting atop the West with the same record as us, this Portland team is no joke. All the Finals predictions have Portland facing off with either us or New York, and it’s obvious why. But at the moment, Toxey is resting a painful ankle injury and is unlikely to get many minutes in this matchup tonight.

Result: W 110-101

Toxey didn’t dress for the game tonight, and instead, reserve SG Austin Jordan started at the point. Our starting backcourt had a very cold night, combining to go 4 for 22, missing all four threes and only getting 14 points between them. Harrington did manage 9 dimes and 5 assists to go with his 5 points, but Evans didn’t put up a huge amount of other production. Holland went for 16 off the bench, bit it was a big man’s night, as Baykurt got 23 points on 8 of 13 shooting, and Dobbins blocked 5 shots and picked up 3 steals.

It’s nice to know that we can still beat good teams (as Portland is, even without Toxey), when Harrington and Evans are cold.

Record: 44-14

March 4, vs Golden State (22-36): W 112-96

Harrington bounced back, getting 25 points, 4 steals, and 10 dimes and Evans had an efficient 17. Dobbins had 21 points and 10 boards, to go with 4 steals and 2 blocks. Nagid also joined in the thievery, with 5 pilfers of his own as we collected 18 on the night, and forced 30 turnovers. Cory Alexander did have 37 points and 13 boards for Golden State, but it wasn’t nearly enough. McSwain was a dud for the Spartans as he only reached double-digits in the worst stat of all. He gave up 13 TO’s on the night.

Record: 45-14

March 6, vs Chicago (30-30): W 122-107

The crash only postponed our loss of Dobbins for a little while. He went back down with a Torn Achilles which will put him out for at least 11 months. His injury put some fire in the team, and Baykurt went off for 34 points, 8 boards and 3 steals. Evans also scored in bunches, getting 24 of his own. With all this scoring, Harrington piled on the dimes, getting 14 to go with his 14 points, 6 boards, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.

Record: 46-14

March 7, @ Brooklyn (34-25): L 117-124

We’re trying to figure out how to structure our defense, now that Dobbins, who was our leader in both blocks (at 2.4) and steals (1.8). Our first try wasn’t entirely a success as we let Brooklyn shoot 56% from the field, and our defense at PF is definitely lacking, as Josh Angeli went for 34. Colin Edwards ot his first start of the season, scoring 8, getting 4 dimes and 3 steals, but turning it over 5 times. Harrington had 23 points 12 dimes, 5 boards and 2 blocks, before fouling out in 43 minutes. Holland started at SF and had 22 points, 5 boards, 4 dimes, and 3 steals.

Record: 46-15

March 9, vs Indiana (18-42): W 113-93

Nothing like a 20 point win against a team like Indiana to experiment with. Clay Holland picked up player of the game, with 25 points and 7 dimes. Harrington had 25 and 6 dimes, while both had 2 steals and a block. Edwards started again, scoring 5, with 5 dimes, 2 steals and only 2 TO’s (in 25 minutes). Evans had 20 points, 6 dimes, and 5 boards off the bench.

Record: 47-15

March 13, @ Boston (44-20): W 105-91

Clay Holland picked up another POG, with 21 points, 7 boards, and 3 steals. We found a defensive formula that worked extremely well tonight, holding Boston to 38% on their home floor. Harrington had 15 points and 10 dimes, 3 boards away from a triple-double. Brandon Hemsley was limited to 9 points and 6 dimes, and never really seemed to be providing much of anything for the team. This was a good start to a four game stretch that sees us play 4 games straight against teams with 40+ wins.

Record: 48-15

March 15, @ New York (51-12): W 129-117

We made a season high 13 three pointers as a team, and played smart basketball with few mistakes to win against New York. Griff was phenomenal, scoring 29 points, with 11 dimes, and 3 steals. Nagid had 19 points and 10 boards for a double-double, and Holland had 27 points, including 5 threes. Evans was limited to 9 minutes, and had 7 points, without missing a shot. Edwards hurt his foot, and will be limited for about 5 days.

Record: 49-15

I try to talk coach into playing Evans more, since he is an extremely efficient scorer, with good defensive skills, but he was having none of it.

Draft Watch:

1 (2). Jefferson Andrews, SF, 6’7”, 203, SO Arizona, 18.2 ppg, 3.1 apg, 5.5 rpg

2 (3). Siloma Magid, PF, 6’10”, 220, 19 y/o Latvia, 22.9 ppg, 3.0 apg, 9.1 rpg

3 (1). Elton Jones, C, 6’9”, 267, HS, 15.2 ppg, 3.8 apg, 16.6 rpg

4 (N/R). Aleksandr Chernyaev, C, 6’9”, 260, 20 y/o Russia, 20.6 ppg, 4.2 apg, 7.0 rpg

5 (N/R). T.J. King, SG, 6’5”, 216, SR Lousiville, 25.8 ppg, 4.6 apg, 9.9 rpg

Orlando Thomas is sixth with a huge triple-double for a statline (30 ppg, 13 apg, 12 rpg). I like Chernyaev’s defense, but I don’t know if it’ll come over to the NBA game.

My projects:

March 16, vs Boston (45-21): W 122-118

We use a huge 4th quarter comeback (41-28) to pull out the close win against Boston this time. Hemsley had 11 points and 10 dimes for the Irish, but Harrington showed that he had the better side of the matchup, scoring 36 and getting 11 assists. Havens had a double-double off the bench with 16 points and 11 boards in 23 minutes. Edwards wasn’t played due to his injury and Evans had 13 points on four of 5 shooting, also getting 4 boards, 3 dimes, and 3 steals in 22 minutes of play.

Record: 50-15

March 18, @ Miami (44-22): W 108-93

Harrington was only 1 rebound from a triple double before fouling out after 36 minutes of play. He had 28 points, 10 dimes, 9 boards, a block, and 2 steals. Evans came in off the bench to score 21, in 32 minutes. Havens had a double-double, playing 34 minutes. He had 11 points, 12 boards, and 4 blocks. Bakurt was close to a very similar statline, with 13 points, 9 boards, and 4 blocks of his own.

Record: 51-15

March 20, @ Atlanta (19-48): W 116-101

Clay Holland’s 28 dispatches the struggling Eagles handily. He also had 8 dimes and six boards. Harrington wasn’t far behind, with 27 points and 7 dimes. Baykurt had a double-double with 22 and 10 boards, also tallying 3 rejections and 2 steals.

Record: 52-15

March 21, @ Cleveland (25-41): W 115-91

Baykurt scored 31 and collected 14 rebounds, with 3 blocked shots to send away the Knights. Edwards scored a career-high 21, and Havens had a double-double, with 10 points and 10 boards, anchoring our defense with 7 blocks and 2 steals.

Record: 53-15

March 23, @ Milwaukee (21-46): W 110-80

Baykurt had 25 points and 12 rebounds as we dismantled the Moose, holding them to 32% from the field. Havens had a double-double too, scoring 11, with 11 boards, and 5 blocks. Harrington had 19, with 6 dimes, and Edwards had 6 points, with career highs in rebounds and dimes, with 5 boards, and 8 dimes. Harrington sat for much of the game, content to let others beat the struggling team.

Record: 54-14

March 25, vs Brooklyn (41-27): W 107-96

We get our revenge, catching them on the tail end of a back-to-back, and Harrington goes for 28, with 9 dimes, and 3 steals. Evans was inserted back into the starting lineup, and had 15 points on 5 for 12 shooting. Baykurt scored 20 points and had 10 rebounds, and Havens had 12 boards, despite only scoring seven on 1 for 11 shooting. However, Tyrone Dudley was hurt a couple games ago, tearing his ACL, and will be out for the rest of the season.

Record: 55-15

March 27, vs Sacramento (28-42): W 116-109

Thomas Havens had 28 points, 9 rebounds, 6 blocks, and 4 steals on the night. Harrington had 20 points and 16 dimes, Baykurt had 23 and 10 boards, with 4 blocks, and Evans had 16. It was too much firepower for Sacramento to handle as they go down by 7.

Record: 56-15

March 29, vs Miami (47-24): W 109-102

Our injury woes continue, as Nagid dons street clothes with a broken ankle. He will be out for just over a month, putting him back into the lineup at about the same time as last playoffs. Havens had 18 points, 12 boards, 3 steals and 2 blocks, and Harrington had 19 points, 8 dimes, 5 boards, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. Evans also had nineteen, shooting 50% from the field, and Holland had 18 off the bench.

Record: 57-15

Standing: 2nd (1 GB)

League Leaders:

Assists: Griffin Harrington, PHI: 10.6

Rebounds: Chris Shelton, SEA: 11.7

Blocks: McEverett Woods, NYM: 4.2

Steals: Justin Toxey, POR: 4.2

Efficiency: Shaun Horan, LAW, 30.9

Rookie Leaders:

Assists: Robert Radl, IND: 4.9

Rebounds: David Burke, SDR: 7.0

Blocks: Lamond Woods, DAL: 1.3

Steals: Bradley Green, SEA: 1.7

Efficiency: David Burke, SDR: 16.8

Player of the Month: Scott Stukes, WAS: 31.1 ppg, 1.6 apg, 6.2 rpg, 1.4 spg, 1.2 bpg

Rookie of the Month: David Burke, SDR: 15.0 ppg, 1.3 apg, 7.0 rpg, 0.6 spg, 0.6 bpg

My projects:

April 1, @ New York (58-14): W 134-131 (2OT)

It was a hell of a ride. Harrington was phenomenal, trying to prove that he had what it would take to lead this short-handed team to a finals appearance and championship. He scored 44 points on fifteen shots, had 17 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals. Tomas Havens had 25 points and 10 boards, with two blocks and 2 steals. Baykurt had 14 rebounds, 4 blocks and 2 steals, though McEverett Woods held him to 8 points (He returned the favor—Woods only scored 6). Griffin was best for the Metros (as we knew he would be), scoring 39 points and leaping his way to 5 blocks, 10 dimes, and 7 boards.

Record: 58-15

April 3, vs Phoenix (17-56): W 128-98

Phoenix’s record is just about the opposite of ours, and it showed. With 3 players reaching 20 points (+ Evans, who had 19), it was hard to see this going any other way. We scored at least 30 in every quarter but the fourth, and shot 56% overall, plus 53% from 3. They had fewer assists than we did turnovers (12), and it comes easy. The one quip I would have is our free throw percentage. We missed 17 of our 40 free throws, which is unacceptable.

Record: 59-15

April 5, vs Washington (21-53): L 106-87

Scott Stukes Kobed the game, scoring 45 on 28 shots, draining every three he looked at (7 for 10), and playing stellar defense. With that combined effort, despite poor performances from every other player, he was able to shut us down. Granted, our play was essentially a one man show as well, with Harrington scoring 34, plus 4 dimes and 7 boards and only 2 others in double figures (Havens and Evans). We shot 42% as a team, and 30% from 3.

Record: 59-16

April 7, vs New York (60-15): W 129-125

Evans and Harrington combined for 60 points, 13 dimes, and 9 rebounds. It was a close game, where the scoring was concentrated in two players on each team. Jack and Griffin combined for 67 points, 13 dimes, and 8 rebounds. But we had some scoring from both Holland and Baykurt, who combined for 40 points. We allowed a 55% field goal percentage, to our 47% mark, but made 5 more threes and 5 more foul shots, pushing us to a 5 point win.

Record: 60-16

April 7, @ Chicago (39-37): W 111-92

Sitting half a game above .500, the Bison are holding on to that eighth seed, and a win against us only helps them keep the position. Ray Jonson had 22 points and 7 rebounds to lead the Bison, while Havens managed 23 points, 9 boards, and 3 blocks. Baykurt had a double-double, with 15 points, 12 boards, and 3 blocks. Harrington was pretty cold from the floor, but managed to get 11 boards, 6 dimes, and 9 points. Evans went 0-4 in 26 minutes off the bench (Edwards has been starting), and had 4 points, 4 dimes, and 3 boards. We shoot a dismal 37% from the field, and just get sunk by a deep effort from Chicago that had six players scoring in double figures.

Record: 60-17

April 11, vs Atlanta (21-56): W 126-103

Harrington had 40 points in the win. Had 4 dimes, 5 boards, and 2 blocks as well. Havens was 2 blocks away from a triple-double, scoring 10, with 11 boards. Baykurt had 21 and 13 boards and Evans shot 5 of 7 off the bench. We shot 54% as a team, and held Atlanta to 45%, and shot 90% from the free-throw line as a team (which was mostly Harrington’s doing, as he made 13 of 13 from the stripe).

Record: 61-17

April 14, @ New Orleans (44-35): W 114-108

Harrington got back to his passing ways, with 23 points and 14 dimes. He had 5 boards and 2 steals as well. Every game we play makes me want to get rid of Holland, and his inefficient shooting (when compared to Evans), as he scores 10 more points than Evans, in 18 more minutes, on 13 more shots. Edwards had 11, making 3 of 5 shots (all 3’s) and passing out 3 dimes, in 18 minutes. George Mapp had 25 points for the Wasps, to claim game-high honors. But the real big man of the game was Havens, who had 18 points, 14 boards, 2 steals and 5 blocks on the night.

Record: 62-17

April 15, vs Cleveland (28-51): W 120-95

The last three games of the season are against teams that probably cannot wait for the season to be over, so that they can prepare for the next, and hopefully get a better record. Tonight, we definitely made them look forward to the end of the season a little bit more. Harrington led the team with 23 points, also getting 10 dimes, 6 boards, 2 blocks and 2 steals. Evans had 15 points in 19 minutes, and Holland had 18, with 8 dimes. Edwards had 8 points and 4 dimes in his 27 mins.

Record: 63-17

April 18, @ Indiana (25-56): W 127-104

Harrington had 32 points and 15 dimes on the way to our 23 point victory, and we had 2 other players with more than 25 points. Holland had 25 points on 7 for 10 3-point shooting, with 7 dimes and 2 steals, while Baykurt had 26 points and 7 boards, with 2 steals. Havens had a double-double, with 16 points, 11 boards, and 4 blocks (+ 2 steals). 22 from Alen Trumbic wasn’t anywhere close to enough to staunch the bleeding from that kind of firepower (especially because he had 7 turnovers).

Record: 64-17

April 19, vs Orlando (37-44): W 104-96

Harrington had 22 points, 11 assists, 6 rebounds, and 2 blocks, while Havens had 9 points, 15 rebounds, four assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks to lead us to an 8 point victory over the young, but competitive Mystics. They aren’t playing rookie Justin Wells nearly enough (he had only 8 minutes on the court), and our offensive firepower and stingy defense was hat one the game for us. We made more free throws than they took, and also put up points from behind the arc. A strong rebounding effort, which led to 54 rebounds, and a 6 board advantage, also helped keep this team away.

Record: 65-17

Season End Standings (West)

1. Portland Pioneers (58-24)

2. Dallas Rangers (55-27)

3. Denver Peaks (54-28)

4. Minnesota Coyotes (48-34)

5. Los Angeles Waves (42-40)

6. San Diego Riders (40-42)

7. Seattle Speed (40-42)

8. Utah Blues (38-44)

Sacramento Royals (35-47)

San Antonio Outlaws (33-49)

Golden State Spartans (31-51)

Houston Blast (25-57)

Phoenix Blast (20-62)

Season End Standings (East)

1. Philadelphia Freedom (65-17)

2. New York Metros (65-17)

3. Boston Irish (56-26)

4. Detroit Gears (51-31)

5. Miami Burn (51-31)

6. Brooklyn Hoops (49-33)

7. New Orleans Wasps (46-36)

8. Chicago Bison (45-37)

Orlando Mystics (37-45)

Cleveland Knights (29-53)

Indiana Racers (25-57)

Washington Americans (24-58)

Milwaukee Moose (24-58)

Atlanta Eagles (21-61)

Team Leaders:

Assists: Griffin Harrington – 10.6

Rebounds: Naim Baykurt – 7.4

Blocks: Tomas Havens – 2.5

Steals: Oliver Dobbins – 1.6

Efficiency: Griffin Harrington – 27.5

League Leaders:

Assists: Griffin Harrington, PHI – 10.6

Rebounds: Chris Shelton, SEA – 11.9

Blocks: McEverett Woods, NYM – 4.2

Steals: Justin Toxey, POR – 3.3

Efficiency: Shaun Horan, LAL – 30.6

Rookie Leaders:

Assists: Robert Radl, IND – 4.9

Rebounds: David Burke, SDR – 7.2

Blocks: Lamond Woods, DAL – 1.2

Steals: Bradley Green, SEA – 1.6

Efficiency: David Burke, SDR – 17.2

Player of the Month: Scott Stukes (32.0 ppg, 1.6 apg, 6.4 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.3 bpg)

Rookie of the Month: David Burke (15.3 ppg, 1.3 apg, 7.2 rpg, 0.6 spg, 0.6 bpg)

Final Draft Watch:

1 (N/R). PG Orlando Thomas, 6’1”, 185, HS – 30.2 ppg, 13.2 apg, 11.3 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 2.3 spg

2 (4). C Aleksandr Chernyaev, 6’9”, 260, 20 Russia – 23.9 ppg, 4.6 apg, 8.0 rpg, 2.5 bpg, 1.2 spg

3 (3). C Elton Jones, 6’9”, 267, HS – 16.0 ppg, 3.8 apg, 18.2 rpg, 1.8 bpg, 2.4 spg

4 (N/R). C Roberto Marhsall, 7’4”, 270, SO Xavier – 18.5 ppg, 3.8 apg, 13.0 rpg, 2.6bpg, 0.5 spg

5 (N/R). C Icikas Stekel, 7’5”, 295, 19 Latvia, 18.6 ppg, 5.4 apg, 13.7 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 1.6 spg

Okay. I take back some of what I said about Elton Jones. He’s shown through the end of the High School season, and a bunch of AAU ball, that he can actually ball. 18 rebounds per game is nothing to sneeze at. I like seeing Orlando Thomas getting recognition. He’s done it all this year, and will likely be high on people’s draft boards.

My projects:

Round 1 Playoffs Preview: #1 PHI vs #8 CHI

In a much awaited series that actually had the two top seeds trying to avoid this matchup, the short-handed Freedom face off against the Bison, bolstered by a 3-team blockbuster trade that brought premier shot-blocker Tengiz Tsulukidze to Chicago, and defensive-minded Center Tomas Havens to the City of Brotherly love. The seeding says some about the outcomes of the trade, but this series will be a good measuring stick.

Matchups:

Point Guard: Griffin Harrington (22.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 10.6 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.0 bpg) vs Jarrod Conway (18.0 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 6.3 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.1 bpg)

Winner: PHI. Harrington takes the cake here, with all-around superior numbers and a larger role. The bison have two very good PG’s in Conway and Jabahri Griffin, but neither can match the talent level of All-Star Griffin Harrington

Shooting Guard: Colin Edwards (4.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 2.5 apg, 0.5 spg, 0.1 bpg) vs Nikica Tepavac (3.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.1 bpg)

Winner: PHI (It’s close, and largely irrelevant). Edwards draws an edge over Tepavac, not only because his name is easier to type and pronounce, but his youth actually does him credit. Evans’ playoff explosion last year shows that it is possible for a rookie to completely outshine himself in the playoffs, and Tepavac’s five years of experience have shown us exactly what he can do—which is just as good as what Colin has done so far, but nowhere near his potential). The bench players here will get the bulk of the minutes, and have the bulk of the impact. Thus concludes the summary of the people that no one understands why they are starting.

Small Forward: Clay Holland (14.0 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.2 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.2 bpg) vs Adrian Korn (11.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.2 bpg)

Winner: Draw. These guys are almost the same player. True, Korn is a better passer, but Holland is a better shooter and scorer. Both rebound and defend at exactly the same clip, so it’s unlikely that this matchup will contribute any real differences to the game.

Power Forward: Naim Baykurt (17.2 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.9 spg, 1.4 bpg) vs Tengiz Tsulukidze (10.3 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.1 spg, 3.2 bpg)

Winner: PHI. When Dobbins was healthy this wasn’t a matchup, but even Baykurt has the upper hand against Zulu. We saw it when he’s gone up against the Metros’ Woods, who is a better defender, and even scorer and rebounder and we’ll see it again here. Not even Zulu will be able to stop Baykurt.

Center: Clay Holland (11.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.1 spg, 2.5 bpg) vs Lou Reyes (8.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.7 bpg)

Winner: PHI. Ahem… Holland is to Reyes as Harrington is to Conway. He just is better in every category. Holland will eat him alive.

Bench: Rowan Evans, Carl Regis, J Broussard (Combined 25.8 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.0 spg, 0.5 bpg) vs Jahbari Griffin, W Datcher, D West (Combined 32.5 ppg, 12.9 rpg, 6.6 apg, 3.2 spg, 2.5 bpg)

Winner: CHI. While Evans is the best player on the bench of either team, Griffin, Datcher, and West are able to contribute a lot more than the combination from Philadelphia. Yet, Philadelphia’s rotation is barely 8 men deep, so that’s not too big of a deal.

Prediction: PHI in 5. Chicago can definitely be chippy enough to steal one, but I don’t see any combination of play that excludes their star Ray Johnson, whose broken wrist will keep him out of the lineup for another 45 days, that will allow them to get anything more out of the series.

Game 1 vs Chicago (Series tied 0-0):

The arena’s energy was lacking in the first, mostly due to poor play from our starters, which ended with us trailing by four, 18-22. The second started off no better, with an 8-2 run in the first three minutes which left us trailing by ten. But Evans got a steal—one of his 3 on the night—which he sprinted down the court with, to finish an and-one dunk. That got the crowd on their feet with something to really cheer about for the first time in the game. That energy helped us slowly whittle down their lead, tying it at 44 apiece at the half. We opened the third hot out of the gates, making our first 5 shots on the way to a 15-0 run, which got us our largest lead of the game. We coasted for a bit, but largely held on to that lead, with Griffin scoring the last basket of the game with 35 seconds to go. He made his only three to give us a 13 point lead: 104-91.

Clay Holland scored 21 on the way to earning player of the Game. He had 9 rebounds, and 6 assists. He also had 2 steals, but I didn’t actually like his performance. He had almost half of the team’s 16 turnovers, with 7. Havens and Edwards both scored 22 to tie for the team-high. For Chicago, the game-high scorer of Jarrod Conway had 26 points, 5 dimes, and 7 boards.

Game 2 vs Chicago (PHI lead 1-0):

We started off much better in the second game. Having found a playoff stride, we opened with 35 points in the first period, gaining a 15 point lead. Chicago pushed back, slowly evening it by halftime, at 56-all. They started off well in the third, gaining a six point lead, but we fought back, bringing it to 2 at the end of the third. Junior Broussard opened the 4th with a 3 to give us an 84-83 lead, which we didn’t relinquish.

Havens was dominant all game, scoring on 11 of 17 shots, and getting to the line for 16 free throws (he only made 8, but hey, he’s a big man). Baykurt was also putting in work, with 21 points and 15 rebounds—that and his four blocks made up for any shortcomings on that part of Havens’ game tonight. 3 players had 15 points, including Holland, Harrington, and (though you might be surprised) Broussard, as we win 115-101.

Game 3 @ Chicago (PHI lead 2-0):

Chicago doesn’t want to lose on their home floor. They prevented that early with their strong effort tonight. They tallied 12 blocks, and Conway scored 35 in a statement game that told us that they were not going to take us lying down. It was the first half which killed us, as we were outscored 17-21 in the first, and ceded another 36 (to our 24) in the second quarter, which set us up, despite both teams scoring 61 in the second half, for the loss. Harrington and Baykurt combined for 50 points, but that was really it.

Game 4 @ Chicago (PHI lead 2-1):

Chicago obviously tasted blood after that last game, and was ready to keep it. They opened strong, leading by four at the end of the first, and extending that to a 58-47 lead at the end of the half. However, instead of only playing well enough to not lose worse, this time, we were able to push back. They scored a few buckets early in the third, which extended their lead, but we quickly took the reins, pushing back for a 1 point lead. The fourth was a basketfest that came down to the final seconds. There was 2 seconds to go in the game, and we were down one, 114-115. Harrington, who had 10 assists on the night at that point, was taking the ball in after we used our last timeout. A complicated series of screens left Rowan Evans hurtling towards the basket, and the ball soaring over everyone’s heads. Looking at it, I thought it was going to hurtle out of bounds. But it didn’t. It hit high on the backboard, and bounced into Evans’ waiting hand, about 18 inches above and behind the rim. No one heard the whistle blow, and no one noticed Zulu falling into the stanchion.

It was called a charge. I couldn’t believe my ears. A beautifully timed and executed play was going to fall prey to Zulu and a game-saving charge call. But it went to review. The review reversed the decision, and instead made it a blocking foul on the shot. The basket was good, and Evans had a free throw. He made it, and the game closed with us winning 117-115.

#1 Portland was able to sweep #8 Utah in the west, and #3 Denver and #2 Dallas also won their respective series against San Diego and Seattle in four games.

Game 5 vs Chicago (PHI lead 3-1):

With our crowd anxious to finish the series, another poor first quarter did little to make them happy. But we turned it around in the second to tie it at 53. Both teams wanted to forget about the third—only 28 total points were scored, and Chicago built a 2 point lead—68-66. But we started the fourth with a 10-0 run, and never looked back.

Baykurt’s 28 points, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 2 steals were what won us the game, 104-98. Tomas Havens had 16 points and 14 boards, to go with 3 blocks, and Harrington filled out the block party with 14 points, 10 dimes, and 3 blocks of his own. Edwards and Evans made it 6 players in double figures, and we held Chicago to 38% from the field.

#4 Detroit was able to take out # Miami in 5, with #3 Boston v #6 Brooklyn, and #2 New York v #7 New Orleans, and #4 Minnesota v #5 Los Angeles continuing.

#5 Los Angeles was able to finish off their series in 6, while it took rivals New York and Boston 7 games to advance to second round, where they will face off.

My projects:

Round 2 Playoffs Preview: #1 PHI vs #5 MIA

Both Philly and Maimi finished their 1st round series in 5 games, with Miami pulling off an upset against a team with an identical record and only a Division title to give seeding advantages. Despite all that, they finished 14 games back from the first seed, and their team doesn’t have enough firepower to take on the Freedom.

Positional Matchups (Stats from Playoffs)

Point Guard: Griffin Harrington (17.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 9.2 apg, 0.2 spg, 2.2 bpg) vs) Marcus Alexander (33.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.8 bpg):

Winner: MIA Harrington and Alexander are both scoring points, and while Alexander has been lighting it up and Harrington has been a bit cold from the field, making little more than half as many of his attempts than he did before the playoffs. He still has managed to be effective, and has been disruptive defensively, so we will see what will happen. Alexander on the other hand has been red-hot against a Detroit club that had little defensive presence at the guard spots, and is susceptible to cooling off this series, with Harrington, Edwards, Evans, Holland, and Regis all taking turns defending the backcourt. As much as I want to however, I still gotta go with Alexander here, due to the massive discrepancy in scoring.

Shooting Guard: Colin Edwards (7.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 4.0 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.4 bpg) vs Cain Allen (27.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 5.6 apg, 2.8 spg, 0.0 bpg):

Winner: MIA Edwards is showing that he can ball. He has the second-highest assist to turnover ratio on the Freedom, and is starting to actually put up real numbers. His defense is showing promise, but he’s also been shaky from the field. Allen on the other hand, has benefitted from the same lack of backcourt defense that Marcus Alexander did, and has the numbers to back it up. Until he cools off, he’s got this spot too.

Small Forward: Clay Holland (15.2 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.0 bpg) vs Alan Duplessis (9.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.4 bpg):

Winner: PHI Holland isn’t a better rebounder than Duplessis, and despite a shaky stroke, he’s a lot better at putting points on the board. Also with defensive skills on the wing, I don’t see Duplessis being able to break 10 ppg for this series either.

Power Forward: Naim Baykurt (21.4 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.6 spg, 2.4 bpg) vs Jon Brown (10.8 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.8 bpg):

Winner: PHI Baykurt has taken over when everyone was struggling. He hasn’t made a jump shot all series (though, he only took 4), but he doesn’t need to when he’s making 58% of his field goals (which obviously come from inside). Add that to great rebounding on both ends, and spectacular defense, nobody is going to stop this man.

Center: Tomas Havens (17.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.4 bpg) vs Jeffrey Baker (11.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.0 bpg):

Winner: PHI Philadelphia has a conservative system which doesn’t involve forcing a lot of steals and turnovers, but they are sure good at protecting the paint. That and Havens’ penchant for scoring inside put this matchup over the edge.

Bench: Rowan Evans, Junior Broussard, and Carl Regis (3 combined: 27.2 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 4.4 apg, 2.0 spg, 0.4 bpg) vs Tyler Popp, Jonte Johnson, and Orlando Dely (3 combined: 12.4 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.2 bpg):

Winner PHI The top 3 contributors for Miami’s bench outscored by nearly 15 points per game, which, in a game where the goal is to accumulate points, is not a good sign. Defense also leans in favor of the Freedom, with steals numbers, and allowed points per shot.

Prediction: Philadelphia in 6. The guards are some of the more important positions, and Alexander and Allen have the upper hand there, but the rest of the team is going to overpower the Burn. I am not going to say it’ll be easy, but it will happen.

Game 1: vs Miami (Series tied 0-0):

I was going to write this in a way that created some suspense, but this game was everything that one could have wished for in a game 1. It was close through the first half, with us going down by two at the end of the first quarter and returning for a 1 point lead by half-time. Our poor jump-shooting continued to plague us, but we managed to put on pressure in other ways. Tomas Havens managed a triple double. Wait a second, you say. He can’t pass, how did he get a triple double?  Just ask every person who attempted a shot at the rim. He seemed to tell all of them that they were not going to score. He had 18 points, eleven rebounds, and a career-high 10 blocks. He also had a pair of dimes, and a pair of steals. We piled on the turnovers, but with 15 team blocks, we didn’t succumb.

Winner: PHI 108-97

Game 2: vs Miami (PHI leads 1-0):

Rowan Evans was tired of it. Tired of it I say. He had 35 points and 9 rebounds in only 33 minutes. I guess I see the sense of keeping someone like him on the bench, to come out and give us a boost when we need it. But it wasn’t a boost that he gave us today, he literally just took over. He made 65% of his 20 shots and 9 of ten free throws, also showing stingy D with a steal and a block. Tomas Havens racked the blocks up as well, with 7, and we had two other 20 point scorers. Holland had 28, including 4 threes, and Baykurt went nine for 13 to score 24, also getting 4 blocks and 8 boards.

Winner: PHI 124-98

Game 3: @ Miami (PHI leads 2-0):

It’s all up to Miami now. This is the game they need to win, or it’s probably going to be broom time. Alexander did all he could, scoring 32 points—partly riding off a perfect night from the line (he was 14-14), but nobody else was really able to step up, especially when he fouled out in 39 minutes of play. Baykurt and Holland, on the other hand, had no trouble putting the ball in the basket. Baykurt had 25 points and 12 rebounds, with 5 blocks, and Holland had 24. Edwards had 9 dimes, and Evans had a double-double (11 points and 10 rebounds). We come away with an 8 point win.

Winner: PHI 116-108

Game 4: @ Miami (PHI leads 3-0):

I certainly didn’t expect a sweep, but I’m ready for it (Though I bet I jinxed it). Down by 3 with a minute to go, I certainly thought I did, but Rowan Evans got the start, and saved his best for last. He spent a long time on the free throw line in the first three periods—so many that he only had registered 2 field goals—though he had 12 points. He then received a sharp pass on a cut, and found a way to lay the ball in despite a hard foul. He drained the free throw to tie it, and a Harrington steal resulted in an open Evans in the corner for the three. Nagid also returned from an injury that he received in the regular season, and played 28 minutes. Holland still had 24 points, but Baykurt had the biggest showing for our team, as his 24 was joined by 12 boards. Harrington didn’t score much—not for lack of trying, as he shot 3 for 15—but did acquire 12 dimes.

To the victor go the spoils, and the victor we were. Final score: 107-104

No other sweeps this week… New York and Boston were are tied up at two games apiece, along with Dallas and Denver, but LA is gunning for a second upset, leading Portland 3-1.

My projects:

It took 7 games for New York to top Boston, while Dallas got it done in 6 and LA completed the upset in 5.

2013 Eastern Conference Finals: #1 PHI vs #2 NYM

We had the regular season advantage, beating the Metros 4-1.

Matchup Preview:

PG: Griffin Harrington (15.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 8.4 apg, 0.4 spg, 1.8 bpg) vs Rick Lyles (14.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 3.2 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.4 bpg)

Winner: PHI

Harrington is a better player in all respects than Lyles. Lyles uses up a lot of touches, but isn’t the primary playmaker on the team (Griffin is). He is scoring much more than in the regular season, but is a very poor passer, with an A/TO ratio of 1.1. Harrington should have ample opportunity to repair his playoff slump.

SG: Rowan Evans (18.3 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.9 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.4 bpg) vs Marcus Griffin (19.9 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 8.8 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.8 bpg)

Winner: NYM

Marcus Griffin is in peak form, running this offense like a machine. While Evans is his usual hyper-efficient self, it’s unlikely that he will be able to keep up with Griffin.

SF: Natan Nagid (8.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.0 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.0 bpg) vs Justin Jack (21.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.7 bpg)

Winner: Draw

Natan Nagid is coming off an injury that kept him out of action for about a month, while Jack has recently hyperextended his knee. A big body, and mobile, Nagid should be able to keep Jack in check, at least.

PF: Naim Baykurt (22.0 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.4 spg, 2.8 bpg) vs McEverett Woods (11.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.9 spg, 4.5 bpg)

Baykurt has been the true leader of this team during the playoffs so far. He’s been a force at both ends that will be hard to face. Woods, the reigning rookie of the year, is an elite defender, but that will not be enough to counteract Baykurt’s dominant effect.

C: Tomas Havens (14.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.8 spg, 3.2 bpg) vs Georgi Stoickkov (16.4 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.4 spg, 3.1 bpg)

Winner: Draw

Both of these centers have similar play styles, and are defensive forces. They don’t have much of a jump shot, but are strong finishers, able to get good position in the post.

Bench: Clay Holland, Colin Edwards, and Junior Broussard, vs Chris Bobbit, Jose Olive, Brooks Holmes

Philadelphia’s bench isn’t particularly strong, but Clay Holland, if had qualified, would be front-runner for the sixth-man award. Edwards is a great rookie, who is a deadly shooter and excellent passer, and Broussard does have the ability to go off every once in a while.

Matchup Prediction: Philadelphia Freedom in 6

Game 1: vs New York (Series tied 0-0): W 119-105

We leapt out to a 8 point lead on a 31 point 1st quarter, and built upon it in the second, extending the margin to 20. That was essentially the end of the game, as New York never had the lead in the first half, and never managed to mount any sort of comeback. Evans had the most impressive line, in an all-around impressive game. He had 27 points, 11 rebounds and 2 steals. Harrington had 15 points and 15 dimes. Baykurt and Nagid combined for 42 points, 14 boards, and 4 blocks.

Game 2: vs New York (PHI leads 1-0): W 120-103

Griffin Harrington stood up today and told the world that his slump was over. He had 35 points, 13 assists, 5 rebounds and 2 steals, as the team survived Havens’ early groin injury, Naim Baykurt scored 25 and collected 15 boards. Evans had 17 on 8 for 11 shooting. We shot over 55% from the floor, and made 8 of 17 threes, showcasing why we were favorites for the title.

Game 3: @ New York (PHI leads 2-0): L 107-125

It was foolish to think that we could sweep a team as good as the Metros. Justin Jack, fully recovered from his hyper-extended knee, went off for 35 points, 3 blocks and 2 steals, and we were held to shooting 41% shooting. Holland shot 26 times, making 9 of fourteen 3’s on his way to 38 points. Meanwhile Baykurt had 21, Harrington scored 20, and the bench totaled 4 points.

Game 4: @ New York (PHI leads 2-1): W 125-115

Rowan Evans is a beast! He went 9 for 14, and connected on 14 of 16 free throws, to score 33 points on the night. Nagid had 4 blocks, and was a good replacement for the still-hurt Havens, who didn’t play. Harrington and Baykurt both broke the twenty point mark as well.

Dallas swept the series against the Loss Angeles Waves. If we win this series, it’ll lead to a rematch of last year.

Game 5: vs New York (PHI leads 3-1): W 107-101

Harrington scored 31 to close the series out at home. His role as a distributer took a hit, but he still managed to fill the stat-line, with 5 dimes, 4 boards, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. Besides during one big New York run, in the first quarter, we held a—sometimes uncomfortable—lead throughout. Evans also shined, with 24 points in 8 for 13shooting off the bench. He also had 6 boards and 2 steals.

Philadelphia Freedom advance to the 2013 NBA Finals!

My projects:

It’s the NBA finals, and a rematch of a year ago. It’s a little different this time around. Tengiz Tsulukidze was traded in January for Tomas Havens, Oliver Dobbins is nursing a torn Achilles, and Jody Jones was traded for the rights to draft Edwards and Regis. Dallas still doesn’t have a point guard (even 6th man Buchanan doesn’t count (with a 0.9 A/TO).

Positional Matchups:

PG: Griffin Harrington (18.7 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 9.5 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.4 bpg) vs George Brown (14.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 6.2 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.2 bpg):

Winner: PHI: Here, Griffin Harrington almost gets to yell “Winner, winner, chicken dinner!” Last year this was close matchup, but now it almost looks as if they aren’t in the same league.

SG: Colin Edwards (5.4 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.8 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.2 bpg) vs Corey Akins (17.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 5.9 apg, 1.3 spg, 0.2 bpg)

Winner: Dallas:  Colin is still quite raw, but his per 36 numbers aren’t bad at all (10 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 6.8 apg, 1.0 spg). Again, Edwards will probably spend most of his minutes at PG, when Harrington is on the bench, but the starting lineup includes him. Akins is one of the leading scorers at the SG spot, and is only slightly less of a facilitator than Brown. The head-to-head matchup isn’t great.

SF: Clay Holland (18.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.0 bpg) vs Francisco Fuentes (17.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.2 bpg):

Winner: PHI: Here, Clay is a tall, strong small forward, which matches up well with Fuentes, a natural PF. Holland is a good defender who excels at denying the ball, and can facilitate in a pinch, as well as score. This is a close split, but it worked out.

PF: Naim Baykurt (21.0 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.2 spg, 2.4 bpg) vs Lamont Hendrick (19.4 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.6 bpg)

Winner: PHI: It’s all Naim at the PF spot. Through the playoffs, he is the only 20 and 10 player, and has kept up excellent numbers on the defensive end. Hendrick can try, but he isn’t close to matching that level of productivity.

C: Natan Nagid (11.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.5 bpg), vs Kevin Murphy (19.8 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.9 spg, 2.1 bpg)

Winner: Dallas: Kevin Murphy may be the best center in basketball at the moment. I only got away with calling Baykurt the only 20 and 10 player in the playoffs by two tenths of a point. This man can ball. Nagid has shown himself to be completely recovered, but there’s going to be a large gap anyways.

Bench: Rowan Evans, Tomas Havens, Nate Thornton vs Rod Buchannan, Angelo Broderick, Lamond Woods

Winner: PHI: If you don’t want to accept just the names, take this into account. Evans and Havens both had starting spots on this roster for a good portion of the season. Havens is due to regain full health in a few days, and Evans just spends most of his time flitting back and forth between the bench and the starting lineup. Together, these three combine for 27 points off the bench per game, while Buchannan, Broderick and Woods combine for a paltry 16. In a game where the point is to rack up points, you can see the discrepancy.

Prediction: PHI in 6

That was the prediction for last year, and I think it will happen this time. Philadelphia has another year of experience, and the team has jelled more and rallied behind the injury to Dobbins, who was their anchor.

Game 1: vs Dallas (0-0): W 118-108

40 points, 7 assists and 3 steals. Griffin Harrington used that stat-line to secure a victory in game 1 against the Rangers. Evans’s 18 was almost all of the bench’s contribution, as he shot 5-7 with 5 boards. Nagid had 19 and 9, while Baykurt had 17 and 12. Both teams teetered on the edge of 50% for shooting percentage, with our team making just slightly more, and the Rangers making slightly less than that .500 mark.

Game 2: vs Dallas (1-0): W 130-124

Harrington obviously wasn’t done tearing up the Rangers, as he piled on another 36 points, with 10 dimes, 5 boards and 3 steals. Baykurt came in close behind, with 23 points and 15 boards. Kevin Murphy went to school on Nagid, tallying 34 points and 13 boards. Evans had 20 bench points, out of 37.

Game 3: @ Dallas (2-0): L 102-117

George Brown finally got so tired of being schooled by Harrington that he spat out 32 points, 5 dimes, and 6 rebounds, to join with Kevin Murphy and Francisco Fuentes, who each had more than twenty of their own points. Albeit, Harrington had 23 points and 14 dimes, while Baykurt had 24 and 14 boards. Even Evans was able totally 19. The bright side was that Havens was put in for sixteen minutes, where he shot 3 of 3, had 8 points, and a block.

Game 4: @ Dallas (2-1): L 100-126

Havens was reinserted into the starting lineup, with Rowan Evans, who rewarded the decision with a 13-19 showing that scored 28 points. Yet that wasn’t enough to stop Kevin Murphy and the Dallas Rangers. Murphy had 24 points and 14 rebounds, along with a solid defensive presence. On the other hand, Harrington was as cold as ice throughout the game, missing shot after shot. He didn’t make a single field goal, though was 4-5 from the line. He did get 8 assists, but it wasn’t a good night for him.

Game 5: vs Dallas (2-2): W 109-106

A hard fought game through all four quarters, Harrington shook off last games’ struggles, and demanded all the attention of the opposing defense. He took 30 shots on the way to 31 points, but got the job done, with 8 dimes and 3 steals as well. However, it was Clay Holland who demanded the ball in the final quarter, which we started down 10. He stood up and knocked down 3 after 3, working his way to 26 points and a 3 point win.

Game 6: @ Dallas (3-2):

As much as I wanted to draw out the summary of this game, I really can’t. It wasn’t ever really in doubt. We shot 67.5% from the field, converted a majority of threes, and made a bunch of free throws. It didn’t matter that we allowed Dallas to shoot 50%. It didn’t matter that Fuentes had 30 points. We had two fewer assists than rebounds, and when your offense runs that smoothly, there is nothing that will stop you. Griffin was not the highest scorer of the game, nor the second highest. Nor yet was he the 3rd or fourth highest scorer. His 22 points were actually the 6th best mark on the night. Fuentes had 30, and both Nagid and Corey Akins scored 24. Evans and Lamont Hedrick scored 23. Harrington also had 15 dimes, and 2 blocks.

PHI 138-123

The Philadelphia Freedom are the 2013 NBA Champions!!

My projects:

Pre-lottery:

11. Orlando

10. Sacramento

9. San Antonio

8. Golden State

7. Cleveland

6. Los Angeles

5. Indiana

4. Boston

3. Washington

2. Atlanta

1. Phoenix

Lottery:

11. Orlando (-)

10. Sacramento (-)

9. San Antonio (-)

8. Cleveland (-1)

7. Los Angeles (-1)

6. Indiana (-1) Lucky, Lucky Golden State

5. Boston (-1)

4. Washington (-1) Dearie…

3. Atlanta (-1)

2. Golden State (+6) If they had gotten the number 1, I would have freaked. They had a 4.1% chance.

1. Phoenix (-) No shenanigans for Phoenix.

Awards:

MVP: Shaun Horan, LAW (28.6 ppg, 5.4 apg, 7.1 rpg, 2.4 spg, 1.0 bpg)

DPOY: McEverett Woods, NYM (11.9 ppg 1.7 apg, 8.5 rpg, 1.9 spg, 4.2 bpg)

Sixth Man: John Paben, DET (15.3 ppg, 6.7 apg, 3.3 rpg, 0.9 spg, 0.0 bpg)

ROY: David Burke, SDR (15.3 ppg, 1.3 apg, 7.2 rpg, 0.6 spg, 0.6 bpg)

Coach of the Year: Deshawn McGadney, PHI (65-17 (.793))

All-league First Team

PG: Griffin Harrington, PHI

SG: Marcus Griffin, NYM

SF: Shaun Horan, LAW

PF: Cory Alexander, GSS

C: Jimmy Fishback, MIN

All-league Second Team:

PG: Marcus Alexander, NYM

SG: Vernon Winkfield, IND

SF: Scott Stukes, WAS

PF: Nate Moore, DET

C: Georgi Stoickkov, NYM

All-League Third Team:

PG: Justin Toxey, POR

SG: DuJuan Stewart, HOU

SF: Justin Jack, NYM

PF: Josh Angeli, BKN

C: Chris Shelton, SEA

All-Defense First Team:

PG: Justin Toxey, POR

SG: Vernon Winkfield, IND

PF: McEverett Woods, NYM

C: Georgi Stoickkov, NYM

All Defense Second Team:

PG: Dennis Thomas, DEN

SG: Marcus Griffin, NYM

SF: Nick Porter, MIL

PF: Nate Moore, DET

C: Jimmy Fishback, MIN

All Rookie First Team:

PG: Robert Radl, IND

SG: Bradley Green, SEA

SF: Justin Wells, ORL

PF: Mike Anderson, WAS

C: David Burke, SDR

All Rookie Second Team:

PG: Colin Edwards, PHI

SG: Riley Monroe, SEA

SF: Neil Clay, NYM

PF: Jeff Price, LAW

C: Lloyd Reyes, SAC

I think that this award season was pretty well done, despite wishing for more than just the one first-team recognition. McGadney’s coach of the year award did make him pretty happy.

However, despite making this a really good perennial contender, I feel that it is time to move on. I’ve heard rumors that the commissioner has buyers ready to acquire expansion franchises, and I think I would enjoy the challenge. So, when Freedom Owner Jamal Ray calls me up, I tell him that though I had an amazing time, and am glad that I was able to make this team into something that people in the future may call great, I would like to move on and take on a different challenge.

He was sorry to hear me go, but understands, and wants me to do my best (And move into the Western Conference).

My projects:

BREAKING NEWS!!

The Commissioner announced today that two cities had bid sufficiently to earn expansion teams: Toronto, and Mexico City.

Further information will be released as it comes.

My projects:

BREAKING NEWS!!

A third Expansion team bid has been accepted by the owners. Charlotte GA now has its own basketball franchise.

The Toronto team will be called the Dinos.

The Mexico City team will be called the Vaqueros.

NBA Champion GM Leah Jamison has agreed to manage the Vaqueros. Terms of the contract are still unknown, but thought to range in the $10 million range for the next 3 years.

My projects:

Mock Draft:

1. Alexander Chernyaev (21, C, Russia)

2. Jefferson Andrews (20, SF, University of Arizona)

3. T.J. King (22, SG, Lousville University)

4. Siloma Magid (20, PF, Latvia)

5. J.B. Linderman (21, PF, University of Missouri)

6. Tyler Meekins (22, PF, University of Houston)

7. Elton Jones (18, C, High School)

8. Ronald Cameron (22, SF, UCLA)

9. Steve Keating (20, SF, North Carolina State University)

10. Icikas Stekel (20, C, Latvia)

11. Orlando Thomas (19, PG, High School)

12. Roberto Marshall (21, C, Xavier University)

13. Siegfried Kaempfer (20, C, Germany)

14. Quadree Thompson (18, SG, High School)

15. Erik Collison (19, C, High School)

I like this mock draft. I like it a lot. We are slotted to draft Tyler Meekins, a super-athletic PF with nice shooting skills. He can even handle and pass in a pinch. And the best thing? His upside.

I manage to get a steal of a trade:

Boston Receives:

SF Neil Clay

PF Tom Brown

PG David Lopez

Mexico City Receives:

2013 1st Round Pick (#8)

SG Ray Brown

Winner: Mexico City, hands down. Not only did they get another top-10 pick in a stacked draft, but they got a SG who may be able to compete at a NBA level, rather than the bunch of D-league talent that they have now.

My projects:

It’s Draft Time!!!

1. (PHO) T.J. King

He’ll be a pretty good pick for the Burn. Safe, but not too much upside.

Trade:

Seattle Receives: SG Demond Pugh

MXC Receives: 1st Round pick #16

2. (GSS) Orlando Thomas

This pick is a little riskier. He showed out during high school and the workouts, but there was still a lot of unknowns surround him.

3. (ATL) Ronald Cameron

Every pick that isn’t Alexander Chernyaev makes me happy. This was a poor pick for Atlanta.

4. (CHA) J.B. Linderman

Linderman is a strong rebounder, with a bit of defensive skill, but I think his skills won’t translate particularly well. He is light, and while he can put up a bunch of points, it never feels like he dominates.

5. (TOR) Tyler Meekins

I was disappointed to see Meekins go, but it does mean that we’ll be able to snag Chernyaev. Good pick for Toronto, but Chernyaev will probably be better.

6. (MXC) Alexandr Chernyaev

I did the pick.

7. (WAS) Elton Jones

This is a pretty good pick.

8. (MXC) Jefferson Andrews

I expected him to go much earlier. He is a pure shooter with a beautiful stroke.

9. (IND) Mike Holmes

He went earlier than anyone expected, but has the potential to have staying power in this league. He will be very raw but might have a good career in the long haul.

10. (LAW) Siloma Magid

Decent Pick. A steal at 10.

11. (CLE) PG Chris Riddick

12. (SAS) C Icikas Stekel

13. (SAC) PG Joey Correa (5’5, 162)

14. (ORL) SG Quadree Thompson

15. (UTA) C Roberto Marshall

16. (MXC) C Seigfried Kaempfer

Summer League:

Game 1: vs Portland: W 113-90

Jefferson Andrews went 11 for 17 and made two of two from deep on his way to 26 points. We held Portland to 41% shooting for the win.

Game 2: @ Cleveland: W 100-98

Jefferson Andrews to five shots, only making one.  Kaempfer had 18 points and 6 boards off the bench to seal the two-point win. Chernyaev had a double-double, 10 points and 11 boards.

Game 3: vs Los Angeles: W 117-105

Charlie Casper shined in this game, with 16 points and 11 dimes. Kaempfer had 16 and 9 boards.

Game 4: vs Toronto: W 106-91

Chernyaev had 22 points, a block and 3 steals to win the match for us. Andrews had 15, and Kaempfer got a nickel and a dime as well.

Game 5: @ Washington: W 112-94

Chernyaev made a 3, on his way to 16 points. He also had 9 boards. Andrews had 17 on 7 of 9 shooting. Kaempfer had 14 and 9.

Summer League Review:

Our three draftees are good. That is for sure. However, we definitely need help in the other positions.

My projects:

Free Agents:

Top 10:

Jimmy Fishback *

Nate Moore *

Josh Angeli *

Wesley Nicholson *

Georgi Stoickkov

Haydar Yigit

Francisco Fuentes

Brandon Hughes

Shomari Bailey

Justin Jack

I bide my time. I know I won’t land anyone with the cash I have on hand.

It’s the first signing of Free-Agent Season. Seattle signs PF Billy Wallace for 8.7 mill.

Corey Akins resigns for 9 million, to the Rangers. Raymond Elloie resigns to the Gears for 9 mill.

Top Free agent Jimmy Fishback returns to the Coyotes for 5 years, on a 78 million dollar deal.

I end up signing Akakide Turkestanov, Matej Metelko, and Fred Aylsworth.

I give a minimum contract to Nathaniel Toney, which he accepts. Now I’m Done.

Welcome to the 2013-14 “Let’s see how this goes” Vaqueros!

PG: Charlie Casper (6’2, 158, 23, 1 year experience)

SG: Fred Aylsworth (6-1, 161, 32, 11 years experience)

SF: Jefferson Andrews (6’7, 203, 20, Rookie)

PF: Tim Dyer (6’11, 259, 33, 13 years experience)

C: Alexandr Cheryaev (6’9, 260, 21, Rookie)

6. Rupert Thomas (6’11, 231, 23, 1 year experience)

7. Siegfried Kaempfer (6’11, 269, 20, Rookie)

8. Olev Kazlauskas (6’4, 216, 21, 1 year experience)

9. Nate Toney (6’11, 268, 27, 4 years experience)

10. Akakide Turkestanov (6’9’, 254, 23, 6 years experience)

11. Toby Green (6’5, 204, 34, 14 years experience)

12. Matej Metelko (6’7, 193, 29, 7 years experience)

13. Jimmy Smith (7’5, 281, 31, 9 years experience)

14. Jon Dixon (6’10, 216, 34, 15 years experience)

15. (D-league) Craig Davis (6’1, 187, 19, Rookie)

My projects:

NBA Top 5 players:

Cory Alexander (PF, GSS), Shaun Horan (SF, LAW), Kevin Murphy (C, DAL), Barry Jones (PF, BOS), Jimmy Fishback (C, MIN)

Position Best:

PG: John Moore, SAC

SG: George Brown, DAL

PF: Cory Alexander, GSS

C: Kevin Murphey, DAL

Season Preview:

East:

Top 5:

1. BOS

2. PHI

3. MIL

4. ORL

5. NYM

Last

TOR

West:

Top 5:

1. DAL

2. GSS

3. LAW

4. MIN

5. SAC

Last:

MXC

Ok, I know we suck. This build up will last a couple years, at least.

My projects:

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now