SecretAgentMan

Going for Gold- Development Thread

I update every month, whether the update is good, bad, or ugly.

This month was ugly. To summarize things briefly: my job duties at work were changed, and changed in a way that I am not happy with, so I've needed to begin applying for new jobs. There's been about a 2-week period where all of my personal projects have gotten set completely aside while I deal with that. So, unfortunately, in a month when I needed to gear up and do more, I've fallen behind.

Lot to do to get ready for the Summer Olympics, which are not far away at all. So, I will hammer away in June, and hopefully things will be better in my next update in a month's time.

Okay, how about a June update?

The bad is that I have nothing new to show, or discuss.

The good is that I have a new job, so while I spent most of this month job hunting and have a few busy months ahead, I am set up with a much better long-term situation (which bodes well for future development, in my mind)

I still plan to have some sort of Olympics multiplayer game on the forums, but at this point, I may just take my 2016 version and add in this year's events and schedule. We'll see what I can come up with- watch this space for some updates as we get closer to the games!

Well, I'm going to do a July update, but if you've been on this site during July, you know EXACTLY what I've been up to programming-wise. So, I am continuing to work on Going for Gold, and I've released a Beta build, "Going for Gold: 2020 Edition" for testing. 

It's available from the link here: https://forums.gmgames.org/topic/20553-going-for-gold-2020-edition-now-available-for-free-open-beta-trial/

I'm using this as an opportunity to see what works well, and what doesn't work well, from a simulation standpoint, from a gameplay standpoint, and from a multiplayer standpoint. If you haven't already had a chance to do so, I'd be immensely appreciative if you'd consider taking a look and telling me what you think. I want to emphasize that this is very much still a Beta edition, and will likely have crashes and problems, but every time I do this (this is my 4th "Games" and 2nd "Summer Games"), I feel like it improves every time because I have players and get feedback. So if you check it out, please let me know!

I know I have a few people that follow this thread, so I wanted to drop a line and let everyone know that I haven't abandoned this project. However, I just started a new job recently, and I haven't had any time to work on it at all, so I've gone dark for a few months. Planning and hoping to get some work done on this project in November or December, so I wanted to let any readers know that!

Thanks,

Jeff

And here is said December update! I have been spending time working on databases that will be needed to run the 2022 Winter Games, including updating the country rankings to reflect the results from the past year and updating the event schedule for the 2022 games. Those updates have gone well, and everything looks to be on track to run another multi-player sim during the upcoming winter games.

I plan on posting a sign-up thread for within the first week of January, so keep an eye on this space for updates. I hope you'll consider joining in!

Haven't updated this thread in a few months. With the winter Olympics in the rear-view mirror, I have continued to work on the data for my game, adding in and refining results. I have also started a dynasty thread you may have seen here in the forums ("Iceland is Nice") as a way of showcasing progress and getting myself working on upgrades. Because of that, I have been working on improvements to my process for creating youth athletes.

More updates at the end of April, I hope. See you then!

Little bit of game work this month. Mostly, that consisted of making it possible for the program to use different last name sets based on whether an athlete is male or female. (In certain countries, including Iceland, the Czech Republic, Russia, and a few others, male and female children of the same family have separate last names) Small thing, but hey, progress is progress!

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now