SecretAgentMan

Going for Gold- Development Thread

Hi all,

My name is Jeff, but I go by SecretAgentMan on a couple of sports forums sites. In my very limited free time, I am developing a game called Going for Gold. It is, basically, an Olympics sim. You take control of a country's athletics program, and work to build up your athletes and teams so that they can win medals at the Summer Games and Winter Games. I post a regular progress thread at SimNation, and I wanted to do likewise here, so that I can share development with others. So, with that in mind...here's my first development log here at GMGames.

Development Log 1: A basic overview of Going for Gold

Where did the idea come from?

After participating in online leagues in college, I found myself with a little bit too much time (and too little employment) on hands after graduation. I started pursuing the idea of making a sport sim of my own, and after a couple of false starts, I got introduced to GameMaker, a programming system I still employ. That was early in 2010, and the Winter Olympics in Vancouver were fast approaching. I decided I was going to make sims for several sports in time for the Winter Games, to celebrate my favorite sporting event. I started small, with ski jumping, figuring that it would be one of the easier sports to program. Good call. I barely got something done, but I did get something done. I had a good experience with it and decided to expand it into a full-fledged ski jumping game, Going for Gold: Ski Jumping. I developed that until 2013, and got it into some sort of "finished" state, though it was never released or published. From there, with the 2014 Winter Games approaching, I started to make a rudimentary Olympics sim, titled "Going for Gold: Winter Games". I took the same ideas and, in 2016, made "Going for Gold: Summer Games". After that, I combined the two into one game, Going for Gold, prior to the 2018 Winter Games. I have continued to work on it intermittently ever since, with a particular focus being an addition of a career mode. (None of the previous versions had had that)

Currently, the career mode, summer games, and winter games are all operational, though far from polished. I was, of course, intending to have another trial run this year with the Tokyo Olympics, but with those being postponed, I am continuing to refine features with the hope being that I have a stronger career mode in time for the double whammy of two Olympics in a 6-month span in 2021 and 2022.

How does it work?

GFG Screenshot- Title Screen.png

As I mentioned above, I have 3 modes: Summer Games, Winter Games, and Career. The individual "Summer Games" and "Winter Games" modes are designed to be a short-term sim. You drop in to the Games, pick a country, and take a look at the athletes that you will have competing in the games. You then take "Training Points" (which basically simulate coaching and other such factors) and allocate them to certain athletes to boost their chances of success. You go through the games, win medals (or not), and see how you do.

Career mode, though, has a little bit more detail to it. You start by selecting one of 65 countries from a list, allowing you to represent many of the most successful athletic nations from throughout the world. 

GFG Screenshot- Country Rankings.png

From there, you get a chance to simulate through a full year that includes both the summer and winter sports. As you play, you'll be able to see the schedule for the year and how your athletes are doing, and you can check the standings for each event throughout the season. At the end of each year, you get to go through the Finances, where you can decide, sport by sport and athlete by athlete, just how much you are going to support them and their ability to train and improve. As the years go by, you can build your country's athletic association into a powerhouse, growing in World Ranking and dominating more and more sports. (Or, you know, fall into disrepair. That part's up to the player, after all!) Athletes grow and decline, then retire, and new athletes come into the fold as you play year after year. Your ability to manage finding and find strengths and future stars will constantly be tested, but you have the opportunity to lead your country to glory at the Winter and Summer Games quadrennial after quadrennial.

GFG Screenshot- User Menu.png

I'll try to dig into more specifics in the weeks and months to come as I continue to grow and update this game, but I wanted to at least start out by introducing myself and by introducing what I have to offer. I hope that you enjoy, and I would welcome your thoughts and feedback!

Thanks sincerely,

Jeff (SAM)

Edited by SecretAgentMan

Over at SimNation, I like to update my development thread once a month, so I'm going to try to do likewise here! I'd like to talk a little bit more about some of the things I have done to this point in programming Going for Gold.

Development Log 2: Player Ratings

One of the things that I have looked to do in developing an international sports simulation is to put in a LOT of flexibility. If you look at a traditional Olympic Games, there are so many different formats for events and so many different qualifying processes, and then the events themselves have many, many different ways to keep score. (Timed events, point events, multi-stage events, direct head-to-head competitions, and so on...) So it would be an immense effort to code all of the detailed situations and strategies for every sport. I may get to that point eventually, but I'm not there at present.

So, instead, player ratings are done in a very simplistic manner, so that there is more room to be flexible with the actual event structures.

How simplistic? Well, each player has a rating (0-99) for each event that they take part in. Some players are in sports that contain multiple regular events, and those players may have different ratings for each event. However, that's the extent of the rating. One number, indicating how good the player is at that sport. (Team sports are set up the same way- the team's rating is just an average of everybody on the team)

Obviously, this system has some benefits and some drawbacks, with one drawback being that you don't get into much detail with each individual athlete. What that ends up meaning is that as the player, you are overseeing a SYSTEM more than you are overseeing individual athletes. In a lot of sports sims, you effectively get to be the "coach", choosing strategies, gameplans, and the like. Going for Gold is a layer above that...it's more about tracking athlete skills and results, and seeing how to exploit areas of strength for your country in a way that leads to a bigger medal haul every summer or winter games. I guess that makes it a bit more "casual" of a sports sim in some ways, but it's a system that I have been happy with so far, because I can adapt it quickly to ANY sport that needs to be added in, and it gives me a chance to add more detail in the future because I have a flexible infrastructure in place.

At any rate, the player would see something like this. In the example below, the player (as Canada) can use the Athlete window to see who their top Athletes are.

GFG Screenshot- Athlete Ratings 1.png

Then, as the head of Canada's athletics program, you can break things down farther and see an individual sport/gender. So, breaking that down farther, here's the top Men's Divers in Canada.

GFG Screenshot- Athlete Ratings 2.png

Then, when looking at event schedules and results, you'll be able to see specific athletes, and how they rate compared to the rest of the world for that particular event.

GFG Screenshot- Athlete Ratings 3.png

So that's a basic overview of player ratings. I do eventually intend to have individual athlete pages, but that's not currently a feature I have in place. (This is very much a "hobby" venture at the moment, after all). At any rate, I wanted to share. Let me know your thoughts, or if you have any questions, please feel free to let me know!

-SecretAgentMan

Hello all! I would like to share a little bit of what I have done this month working on Going for Gold.

Development Log 3: Creating Country Ratings from Real-World Results

I'm a few days late, but I wanted to get in my July update. I have been continuing to build databases, and in July, I finally finished all of the results for Winter Sports, so I wanted to share those here. Basically, I took each of the game's 65 countries, and inputted real-life records regarding medal total, qualifications (for both Winter Games and World Championships), and most recent yearly results for the winter sports season. Then, a coefficient value is calculated. 

The coefficient is a decimal between 0 and 1. 1, a perfect score, is basically not possible in real life. It indicates a country that wins every possible medal in every possible situation, every time for the entire history of a sport. In reality, a coefficient above .9 reflects historical dominance in a sport, and I have only seen two examples thus far (Chinese table tennis and American basketball). A coefficient in the range of .7 usually indicates that the country is the best in their given sport at that time, while a coefficient of above .5 indicates that the country will be a consistent producer of medal winners. Coefficients around .15 indicate that the country is average, while a coefficient of 0 indicates that nobody from that country ever medals or even places at international events.

What I'd like to share today is the top-rated country, and the corresponding coefficient value, in each winter sport. These are based on real-world data, and should be a good indicator of future performance in real-world winter games as well.

Alpine Skiing (Speed) = Austria (.6705)
Alpine Skiing (Slalom) = Austria (.6850)
Biathlon = Germany (.6582)
Bobsleigh = Germany (.7502)
Cross-Country Skiing (Distance) = Norway (.7204)
Cross-Country Skiing (Sprint) = Norway (.7653)
Curling = Canada (.7711)
Figure Skating = Russia (.6491)
Freestyle Skiing (Moguls) = Canada (.6809)
Freestyle Skiing (Aerials) = China (.6908)
Freestyle Skiing (Skicross) = Canada (.6930)
Freestyle Skiing (General) = USA (.7217)
Ice Hockey = Canada (.8302)
Luge = Germany (.8201)
Nordic Combined = Germany (.6578)
Short Track Speed Skating = South Korea (.7165)
Skeleton = Germany (.5088)
Ski Jumping = Germany (.5899)
Freestyle Snowboarding = USA (.7185)
Snowboardcross = France (.5795)
Alpine Snowboarding = Austria (.6414)
Speed Skating (Sprint ) = Netherlands (.6602)
Speed Skating (Distance) = Netherlands (.7403)

These coefficients will eventually be used to give each team a numerical rating number between 20 and 99, with 99 being the highest possible value. No one seen here would receive a 99, as that will be reserved for the aforementioned outliers (Chinese table tennis/USA basketball/etc.) . If you're curious about how a particular country does in a particular sport, just let me know, or if you'd like to see the whole table, I would be happy to share.

Edited by SecretAgentMan

One of my goals with these development logs is to post every month....even if I don't have much. This month is one of those months.

Development Log 4: Splash Screen Thoughts

So, I didn't get a whole lot done on Going for Gold in August, but what little I did do was important (I came up with a trial formula to create an actual 0-99 rating system for each country based on their coefficients). What I'm working on next is a splash screen for the beginning of the Olympics. It will show you what information you need to know prior to each summer or winter Olympics.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts. What information could I put on the splash screen that will benefit the player? I am going to have some basics about your country's rating, expectations, and top athletes, but I'm intrigued to see what other ideas people might have.

Such a great project...I'm looking forward to play this game.

I am a great fan of Olympic Games, and GM Games, a dream comes true!

15 hours ago, h2min said:

Such a great project...I'm looking forward to play this game.

I am a great fan of Olympic Games, and GM Games, a dream comes true!

Great to hear! Keep an eye on this thread...the plan is to have an alpha/beta version available for testing in early 2021, and I hope to run a test league on the forums here (as well as over at SimNation).

It's time for a September update, and a new development log! Not a ton of progress this month, but I thought it would be interesting to share some information on the goals I have for customizing Going for Gold

Development Log 5: Adding New Sports into the Game

One of my goals for this game is to make a flexible enough infrastructure that users can easily edit the game to add or change events, giving them opportunities to customize the game as they see fit. At present this is done via editing text files, though I would love to get the game to the point where users can work within the game to achieve the customization options that they would like to see.

To that end, I'd like to talk you through something I've been doing recently: adding new sports into the game. As I'm preparing for next summer's Olympics, I am needing to modify my events and schedules from the 2016 Olympics in Brazil. Part of the issue is that new sports have been added in, including baseball and softball, which I have been working out for demonstration purposes.

At present, the system is a bit unwieldy, as I have to edit something like 15 different text files? In the process of doing that, I establish a two-digit code for each sport, and then add data for each sport, such as each country's rankings and facilities values, as well as a general "age range" for the sport that establishes the minimum age for an international-level player of that sport, a maximum age, and a "peak age" whereby most players would reach their absolute best skill level (obviously, it's an average and not a hard rule)

After that, I have to put in place some event information for the specific events in that sport. (This is fairly simple for baseball and softball in particular, but other sports I have to end later, like Karate, will have different events and weight classes to deal with). As part of this process, I end up putting a decent amount of data into the text file. (As can be seen in the image file below)

New Sports 3.png

In the file above, I've got each of the Baseball and Softball Tournaments placed with an event code, which gets repeated twice. It's a "Y" for team event, and each team has 25 players. 6 teams qualify for the 2020 Summer Olympics. There are a maximum # of teams that can qualify (again, 6), and the actual structure of the event is listed as "TBD", because I have yet to put that into the text files (because they are using an odd double-elimination format for baseball). Each country has a maximum of one team that can qualify, and a minimum of 0. Even with that little bit of information, I have a lot of customization potential- I can easily change the size or structure of the tournament, or the size of each nation's roster.

After that, I also put in information into a different text file about records/standard scores, so that the program can create an accurate result for the game. (That way you won't be seeing any 35-25 sorts of scores in a baseball game) Then, I have a few more text files to add that relate to the event structure being used in the Olympics. Baseball and Softball particular will involve new structures, as they are 6-team tournaments, which is rather unusual for the Olympics. But, for many sports, there are some fairly standard structures that get used again and again and again. (For example, 12 teams in 2 groups works for Olympic Basketball and Olympic Handball, and most timed events such as swimming/track and field/skiing/etc. can use the exact same general event structure as well)

I end up with new, customized sports and events that can be inserted into the game. As I said, I'm hoping that I can eventually streamline this process a bit so that anyone can easily do it, but for right now, it's at least possible. I figured I would take you under the hood a bit this month so you can see more about how I intend the game to work.

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you in another month with another update!

Edited by SecretAgentMan

I believe in updating this thread every month, but because this is a hobby project (and not my only hobby, nor certainly not a career of mine), there are some months where I don't end up doing much. This month is one of those months- I am kind of stuck right now and need to get some progress going again.

So, I'll give another update in a month, but in the meantime, if anybody has any questions about this project, feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to answer!

Going to update quickly to say that....not much to add this month. There is work being done (both by myself and Bernie, another forum member here) on the summer sports rankings database, but still slow going this month. I'm hoping I will have more to update in December/January. Will let you know either way!

I didn't see the new posts on the topic- thanks so much for chiming in! It is heartening for me to see that I'm not the only person interested in this kind of sim!

Now, with that in mind, my January update is pretty bare. I had a busy month between holidays, a side business I am starting, and a very large job interview my wife had, and didn't get a whole lot done. Olympics are getting ever closer, so I definitely have some work to do!

Let's do a January update!

Development Log 6: Fine-Tuning Athlete Creation Process

I was able to get back into the swing of things this month in terms of working on Going For Gold. I spent a significant amount of time tightening and improving the player creation system. I've been working in recent months on getting data into a database to generate ranking values for countries in each sport (0-99, with 99 being the best). However, those rankings weren't translating well to actual athlete creation. The top countries often would not have the best athletes (they'd be high up, but not the best), and that was definitely a problem that needed to be fixed.

I basically overhauled the process and put several fixes in place, and I'm happy to report that it's going much better. The top countries in a given sport now receive more athletes for that sport, and the athletes are more consistently of better quality, and they are closer to their "prime" age. (The way I have athlete generation setup, players are created with a "top" skill level that is then adjusted based on the player's age)  I have to do some further testing on it in February to make sure that the results are relatively consistent, and then it's on to fine-tuning how those individual player rankings translate into results. It should provide for a much better-quality (and much less-random) actual simulation, so I'm pleased that I was able to progress on it.

Here's an example (below) from a recent test. 

This particular event is a skiing event, and you can see that Austria is near the top of the rankings (as they should be). However, other top countries (USA, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, etc.) still have some representation near the top, while countries that are less strong in terms of skiing do still have strong athletes, but they're still clearly further down the list. It leads to a distribution that I'm happier with that than in the past (which often saw athletes from seemingly random countries near the top) 

000111697 |Austria             |70a|27|F|0|Kerstin_Schuetzenuer              |7001-97(0)
000111677 |Austria             |70a|26|F|0|Kerstin_Koretnaar                 |7001-96(0)
000111776 |Austria             |70b|26|F|0|Marie_Wallner                     |7001-95(0)
000004132 |USA                 |70a|27|F|0|Ava_Brown                         |7001-94(0)
000074656 |Switzerland         |70a|24|F|0|Milena_Abdi                       |7001-94(0)
000004129 |USA                 |70a|26|F|0|Mary_Adams                        |7001-93(0)
000004134 |USA                 |70a|26|F|0|Margaret_Diaz                     |7001-93(0)
000022763 |Germany             |70a|25|F|0|AnnaMaria_Fischer                 |7001-93(0)
000111716 |Austria             |70a|27|F|0|Anna_Badem                        |7001-92(0)
000004135 |USA                 |70a|25|F|0|Elizabeth_Lewis                   |7001-91(0)
000027227 |Italy               |70a|26|F|0|Chiara_Gallo                      |7001-91(0)
000074651 |Switzerland         |70a|23|F|0|Anna_Spycher                      |7001-91(0)
000111689 |Austria             |70a|24|F|0|Laura_Klor                        |7001-91(0)
000004140 |USA                 |70a|26|F|0|Olivia_Martin                     |7001-90(0)
000027218 |Italy               |70a|27|F|0|Federica_Rizzo                    |7001-90(0)
000031137 |Sweden              |70a|26|F|0|Julia_Gustafsson                  |7001-90(0)
000031143 |Sweden              |70a|25|F|0|Alva_Petersson                    |7001-90(0)
000074664 |Switzerland         |70a|27|F|0|Laura_Ziegler                     |7001-90(0)
000074763 |Switzerland         |70b|27|F|0|Elisa_Abdi                        |7001-90(0)
000111675 |Austria             |70a|23|F|0|Marie_Stadisch                    |7001-90(0)
000111681 |Austria             |70a|27|F|0|Hannah_Peiper                     |7001-90(0)
000111734 |Austria             |70b|26|F|0|Kerstin_Mayer                     |7001-90(0)
000145972 |Croatia             |70a|27|F|0|Zoja_Horvat                       |7001-90(0)
000004138 |USA                 |70a|27|F|0|Abigail_Moore                     |7001-89(0)
000017934 |France              |70a|24|F|0|Louise_Bruneau                    |7001-89(0)
000027244 |Italy               |70a|27|F|0|Sofia_Bianchi                     |7001-89(0)
000074676 |Switzerland         |70a|25|F|0|Elina_Ziegler                     |7001-89(0)
000074678 |Switzerland         |70a|23|F|0|Emma_Vonlanthen                   |7001-89(0)
000004171 |USA                 |70b|28|F|0|Zoe_Nelson                        |7001-88(0)
000027232 |Italy               |70a|22|F|0|Paola_Bruno                       |7001-88(0)
000027324 |Italy               |70b|27|F|0|Chiara_Rossi                      |7001-88(0)
000031147 |Sweden              |70a|26|F|0|Ebba_Eriksson                     |7001-88(0)
000031155 |Sweden              |70a|25|F|0|Charlotte_Andersson               |7001-88(0)
000145964 |Croatia             |70a|25|F|0|Andreja_Zupancic                  |7001-88(0)
000004114 |USA                 |70a|28|F|0|Maria_Parker                      |7001-87(0)
000004188 |USA                 |70b|24|F|0|Mia_Cook                          |7001-87(0)
000017910 |France              |70a|27|F|0|Marion_Petit                      |7001-87(0)
000027239 |Italy               |70a|27|F|0|Aurora_Bruno                      |7001-87(0)
000027240 |Italy               |70a|27|F|0|Melania_De_Luca                   |7001-87(0)
000027266 |Italy               |70a|28|F|0|Federica_Moretti                  |7001-87(0)
000027271 |Italy               |70a|25|F|0|Cristiana_Esposito                |7001-87(0)
000031197 |Sweden              |70b|26|F|0|Jessica_Bengtsson                 |7001-87(0)
000074653 |Switzerland         |70a|23|F|0|Sofia_Maurer                      |7001-87(0)
000111696 |Austria             |70a|27|F|0|Sarah_Ebner                       |7001-87(0)
000111705 |Austria             |70a|27|F|0|Nicole_Stoger                     |7001-87(0)
000111707 |Austria             |70a|26|F|0|Charlotte_Wagner                  |7001-87(0)
000146000 |Croatia             |70b|25|F|0|Fata_Zupancic                     |7001-87(0)
000004143 |USA                 |70a|27|F|0|Patricia_Cook                     |7001-86(0)
000017905 |France              |70a|22|F|0|Marion_Vasseur                    |7001-86(0)
000017922 |France              |70a|23|F|0|Léna_Pernet                       |7001-86(0)
000017961 |France              |70b|26|F|0|Virginie_Richard                  |7001-86(0)
000022760 |Germany             |70a|23|F|0|Anna_Hoffmann                     |7001-86(0)
000022772 |Germany             |70a|25|F|0|Leah_Schmidt                      |7001-86(0)
000027229 |Italy               |70a|22|F|0|Laura_Rizzo                       |7001-86(0)
000031153 |Sweden              |70a|25|F|0|Alva_Larsson                      |7001-86(0)
000031209 |Sweden              |70b|27|F|0|Charlotte_Carlsson                |7001-86(0)
000074647 |Switzerland         |70a|24|F|0|Sofia_Inler                       |7001-86(0)
000074649 |Switzerland         |70a|28|F|0|Emma_Vonlanthen                   |7001-86(0)
000074670 |Switzerland         |70a|29|F|0|Aurora_Huggel                     |7001-86(0)
000081264 |Norway              |70a|23|F|0|Leah_Dahl                         |7001-86(0)
000111704 |Austria             |70a|26|F|0|Anna_Wimmer                       |7001-86(0)
000111723 |Austria             |70a|25|F|0|Kerstin_Dorn                      |7001-86(0)
000111778 |Austria             |70b|25|F|0|Sarah_Wimmer                      |7001-86(0)
000004122 |USA                 |70a|28|F|0|Isabella_Moore                    |7001-85(0)
000004124 |USA                 |70a|25|F|0|Rachel_Williams                   |7001-85(0)
000017913 |France              |70a|28|F|0|Inès_Bernard                      |7001-85(0)
000017923 |France              |70a|27|F|0|Marie_Bethune                     |7001-85(0)
000022773 |Germany             |70a|21|F|0|Sofia_Schmidt                     |7001-85(0)
000031140 |Sweden              |70a|23|F|0|Alva_Jansson                      |7001-85(0)
000074662 |Switzerland         |70a|24|F|0|Anna_Ziegler                      |7001-85(0)
000074701 |Switzerland         |70a|22|F|0|Elina_Abdi                        |7001-85(0)
000074707 |Switzerland         |70b|25|F|0|Emma_Spycher                      |7001-85(0)
000111682 |Austria             |70a|23|F|0|Marie_Heregger                    |7001-85(0)
000111691 |Austria             |70a|29|F|0|Charlotte_Feiersinger             |7001-85(0)
000111757 |Austria             |70b|28|F|0|Lena_Wangermann                   |7001-85(0)
000145967 |Croatia             |70a|28|F|0|Andreja_Rozman                    |7001-85(0)
000145993 |Croatia             |70b|26|F|0|Dragica_Golob                     |7001-85(0)
000189866 |Slovenia            |70a|27|F|0|Tanja_Kovac                       |7001-85(0)
000189882 |Slovenia            |70a|28|F|0|Tanja_Kos                         |7001-85(0)
000017890 |France              |70a|29|F|0|Chloé_Baume                       |7001-84(0)
000017897 |France              |70a|23|F|0|Marie_Bruneau                     |7001-84(0)
000017903 |France              |70a|26|F|0|Emma_Giraud                       |7001-84(0)
000017944 |France              |70b|23|F|0|Doriane_Barbeau                   |7001-84(0)
000017980 |France              |70b|27|F|0|Jade_Giraud                       |7001-84(0)
000017989 |France              |70b|28|F|0|Aline_Girard                      |7001-84(0)
000027231 |Italy               |70a|30|F|0|Martina_Greco                     |7001-84(0)
000055763 |Canada              |70a|28|F|0|Sara_Hall                         |7001-84(0)
000055790 |Canada              |70a|23|F|0|Alice_Anderson                    |7001-84(0)
000074710 |Switzerland         |70b|24|F|0|Chloe_Maurer                      |7001-84(0)
000074748 |Switzerland         |70b|24|F|0|Ladina_Vonlanthen                 |7001-84(0)
000074751 |Switzerland         |70b|26|F|0|Alina_Maurer                      |7001-84(0)
000111679 |Austria             |70a|24|F|0|Laura_Wertheim                    |7001-84(0)
000111686 |Austria             |70a|25|F|0|Nina_Peithner                     |7001-84(0)
000111755 |Austria             |70b|27|F|0|Kerstin_Binder                    |7001-84(0)
000111759 |Austria             |70b|26|F|0|Hannah_Schneider                  |7001-84(0)
000145968 |Croatia             |70a|24|F|0|Anisa_Kralj                       |7001-84(0)
000189905 |Slovenia            |70a|28|F|0|Dragica_Novak                     |7001-84(0)
000004120 |USA                 |70a|27|F|0|Patricia_Adams                    |7001-83(0)
000004127 |USA                 |70a|24|F|0|Jennifer_White                    |7001-83(0)
000004151 |USA                 |70a|24|F|0|Isabella_Adams                    |7001-83(0)
000017964 |France              |70b|25|F|0|Louise_Petit                      |7001-83(0)
000017973 |France              |70b|26|F|0|Lina_Coron                        |7001-83(0)
000027223 |Italy               |70a|22|F|0|Laura_Colombo                     |7001-83(0)
000027230 |Italy               |70a|24|F|0|Alice_Lombardi                    |7001-83(0)
000027241 |Italy               |70a|24|F|0|Federica_Rizzo                    |7001-83(0)
000031141 |Sweden              |70a|25|F|0|Kristin_Petersson                 |7001-83(0)
000031179 |Sweden              |70b|24|F|0|Marie_Jonsson                     |7001-83(0)
000031195 |Sweden              |70b|27|F|0|Julia_Jansson                     |7001-83(0)
000055757 |Canada              |70a|26|F|0|Alice_Johnson                     |7001-83(0)
000066519 |South_Korea         |70a|26|F|0|Yeeun_Jin                         |7001-83(0)
000074697 |Switzerland         |70a|25|F|0|Zoe_Maurer                        |7001-83(0)
000074744 |Switzerland         |70b|27|F|0|Martina_Walker                    |7001-83(0)
000111694 |Austria             |70a|22|F|0|Julia_Koell                       |7001-83(0)
000111764 |Austria             |70b|26|F|0|Nina_Stadisch                     |7001-83(0)
000004116 |USA                 |70a|29|F|0|Ava_Garcia                        |7001-82(0)
000004121 |USA                 |70a|24|F|0|Dorothy_Price                     |7001-82(0)
000004123 |USA                 |70a|28|F|0|Emma_Johnson                      |7001-82(0)
000009287 |Russia              |70a|26|F|0|Irina_Stolin                      |7001-82(0)
000017907 |France              |70a|30|F|0|Alix_Landry                       |7001-82(0)
000017912 |France              |70a|24|F|0|Nathalie_Bethune                  |7001-82(0)
000017926 |France              |70a|25|F|0|Elodie_Bethune                    |7001-82(0)
000017955 |France              |70b|28|F|0|Lola_Caillat                      |7001-82(0)
000017958 |France              |70b|23|F|0|Sandrine_Barbeau                  |7001-82(0)
000022793 |Germany             |70a|21|F|0|Caroline_Wagner                   |7001-82(0)
000022816 |Germany             |70b|28|F|0|Leoni_Hoffmann                    |7001-82(0)
000027221 |Italy               |70a|26|F|0|Cecilia_Mancini                   |7001-82(0)
000027238 |Italy               |70a|24|F|0|Alice_Mancini                     |7001-82(0)
000027252 |Italy               |70a|27|F|0|Melania_Rizzo                     |7001-82(0)
000031167 |Sweden              |70a|28|F|0|Antonia_Magnusson                 |7001-82(0)
000074674 |Switzerland         |70a|24|F|0|Alina_Vonlanthen                  |7001-82(0)
000074680 |Switzerland         |70a|27|F|0|Giada_Inler                       |7001-82(0)
000074714 |Switzerland         |70b|27|F|0|Emma_Kuhn                         |7001-82(0)
000081258 |Norway              |70a|25|F|0|Emilie_Andersen                   |7001-82(0)
000081278 |Norway              |70a|28|F|0|Thea_Berg                         |7001-82(0)
000111708 |Austria             |70a|29|F|0|Hannah_Fessler                    |7001-82(0)
000145973 |Croatia             |70a|22|F|0|Dragica_Zupan                     |7001-82(0)
000181941 |Liechtenstein       |70a|25|F|0|Leah_Fischer                      |7001-82(0)
000186881 |Slovakia            |70a|25|F|0|Denisa_Svoboda                    |7001-82(0)
000186893 |Slovakia            |70a|26|F|0|Eliška_Němec                      |7001-82(0)
000189871 |Slovenia            |70a|24|F|0|Nika_Zupancic                     |7001-82(0)
000189880 |Slovenia            |70a|25|F|0|Anja_Zupan                        |7001-82(0)
000189900 |Slovenia            |70a|24|F|0|Eva_Potocnik                      |7001-82(0)
000004119 |USA                 |70a|26|F|0|Madison_Smith                     |7001-81(0)
000004125 |USA                 |70a|28|F|0|Rachel_Perez                      |7001-81(0)
000017906 |France              |70a|25|F|0|Alix_Bouthillier                  |7001-81(0)
000017935 |France              |70a|27|F|0|Sandrine_Boutin                   |7001-81(0)
000017956 |France              |70b|23|F|0|Alix_Moreau                       |7001-81(0)
000027219 |Italy               |70a|28|F|0|Roberta_Ricci                     |7001-81(0)
000027265 |Italy               |70a|29|F|0|Giulia_Greco                      |7001-81(0)
000031210 |Sweden              |70b|28|F|0|Jessica_Svensson                  |7001-81(0)
000055759 |Canada              |70a|24|F|0|Rosalie_Hall                      |7001-81(0)
000055767 |Canada              |70a|24|F|0|Leah_Côté                         |7001-81(0)
000059728 |Poland              |70b|26|F|0|Hanna_Lewandowski                 |7001-81(0)
000074665 |Switzerland         |70a|21|F|0|Aurora_Spycher                    |7001-81(0)
000074669 |Switzerland         |70a|29|F|0|Lara_Neumann                      |7001-81(0)
000081256 |Norway              |70a|26|F|0|Ingvild_Johannesen                |7001-81(0)
000081266 |Norway              |70a|30|F|0|Caroline_Johannesen               |7001-81(0)
000081280 |Norway              |70a|23|F|0|Emma_Hagen                        |7001-81(0)
000111779 |Austria             |70b|27|F|0|Kerstin_Stoeckel                  |7001-81(0)
000181951 |Liechtenstein       |70a|26|F|0|Anna_Schmidt                      |7001-81(0)
000189890 |Slovenia            |70a|27|F|0|Julija_Kralj                      |7001-81(0)
000004202 |USA                 |70b|28|F|0|Emma_Richardson                   |7001-80(0)
000017888 |France              |70a|29|F|0|Emmanuelle_Hachette               |7001-80(0)
000017889 |France              |70a|29|F|0|Chantal_Vasseur                   |7001-80(0)
000017909 |France              |70a|25|F|0|Sandrine_Bonnel                   |7001-80(0)
000022770 |Germany             |70a|26|F|0|Nina_Schneider                    |7001-80(0)
000022771 |Germany             |70a|26|F|0|Anna_Wagner                       |7001-80(0)
000027222 |Italy               |70a|23|F|0|Paola_Rizzo                       |7001-80(0)
000027233 |Italy               |70a|24|F|0|Chiara_Gallo                      |7001-80(0)
000027294 |Italy               |70b|25|F|0|Emma_Ferrari                      |7001-80(0)
000027312 |Italy               |70b|26|F|0|Cristiana_Costa                   |7001-80(0)
000031156 |Sweden              |70a|25|F|0|Nilla_Nilsson                     |7001-80(0)
000055761 |Canada              |70a|28|F|0|Sarah_Bouchard                    |7001-80(0)
000059724 |Poland              |70b|26|F|0|Justyna_Kaczmarek                 |7001-80(0)
000074667 |Switzerland         |70a|24|F|0|Zoe_Inler                         |7001-80(0)
000074673 |Switzerland         |70a|30|F|0|Lea_Inler                         |7001-80(0)
000074689 |Switzerland         |70a|26|F|0|Elisa_Abdi                        |7001-80(0)
000111693 |Austria             |70a|28|F|0|Marie_Wilfing                     |7001-80(0)
000111698 |Austria             |70a|31|F|0|Claudia_Dorner                    |7001-80(0)
000111713 |Austria             |70a|27|F|0|Lena_Eckhel                       |7001-80(0)
000111737 |Austria             |70b|27|F|0|Hannah_Obermoser                  |7001-80(0)
000145961 |Croatia             |70a|24|F|0|Fata_Kos                          |7001-80(0)
000145965 |Croatia             |70a|25|F|0|Lucija_Kovacic                    |7001-80(0)
000145969 |Croatia             |70a|27|F|0|Lana_Bozic                        |7001-80(0)
000181940 |Liechtenstein       |70a|27|F|0|Nina_Weber                        |7001-80(0)
000189865 |Slovenia            |70a|30|F|0|Dragica_Zupan                     |7001-80(0)
000189875 |Slovenia            |70a|27|F|0|Zoja_Krajnc                       |7001-80(0)
000189887 |Slovenia            |70a|27|F|0|Ana_Hribar                        |7001-80(0)

(The event rankings go all the way down to 35, so there's a lot more athletes, but I didn't want a gigantic list here in the thread. All 65 countries currently programmed into the game have athletes in the sport, provided that they have a national ski federation, which some countries do not)

At any rate, that's the update. Thanks for reading...see you in a month!

Edited by SecretAgentMan

Development Log 7: Making Progress

My February update is a little bit bare on details, but I am happy on progress for the month! Some highlights include:

-Good research happening behind the scenes to build the sport result database up. I haven't talked about it much, but there is a massive database of results from Olympic Games, World Championships, and other world competitions from 2000-on that is being built up to provide realistic player generation and results for the game. There has been good progress on that database this month.

I've also been testing the player generation and event results on the basis of the parts of the database that are already complete (Winter Sports).  It isn't perfect yet- there are some problems with team events in particular, and I still need to mess with the "consistency" settings for certain sports- but I feel really happy that the results generally feel "correct", with a good amount of expected and surprise results.

-Making progress towards a stable single-player release. Currently, the game is functional in "career" mode, but there are some important details missing. Namely, if your athletes grow/get better and have better results, your country's overall rating in the sport doesn't yet change. However, that is on the road to being completed, and I'm thinking that it should be done in the next couple of months. Once that is done, the database is finished, and I create a financial database that is stable (a process I haven't started yet), I should have a stable build for a single-player beta trial.

My goal for this Olympics cycle has been to have my "career mode" in place before we start the Tokyo games this summer, so I'm optimistic that I will get there. I am still targeting and hoping for a beta release with functional career mode and the ability to do online leagues sometime late Spring.

-So, please keep an eye out on this space! I'm hopeful to have a lot more to show off soon!

It's getting more and more interesting. The progress sounds very nice.

If you need someone to test the Beta, I would be glad to help. 👍🏻

On 3/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, h2min said:

It's getting more and more interesting. The progress sounds very nice.

If you need someone to test the Beta, I would be glad to help. 👍🏻

Most definitely will need testers, and would appreciate the help! When we get to that point (late Spring, I'm hoping) I'll reach out here and get in touch!

Development Log 8: Continued Database Progress

My March update is short, because I haven't gotten to dig in on the code as much this month. However, I have been continuing to dig in with databases, which is always an interesting experience. I tend to learn a lot about sports that I'm not very familiar with, like which nations are good at fencing, and just how random Olympic football is (really, really random- no country's one more than 3 medals on the men's side, which seems weird). Getting closer every day/week/month to a proper representation of what an Olympics SHOULD look like, and I'm hopeful that I will get to code a lot this month. (Definitely will in May, but I'm hoping my schedule clears up a bit sooner in April, too) At any rate, keep checking this space- I'll have another update at the beginning of May!

On 4/6/2021 at 12:38 AM, SecretAgentMan said:

Development Log 8: Continued Database Progress

My March update is short, because I haven't gotten to dig in on the code as much this month. However, I have been continuing to dig in with databases, which is always an interesting experience. I tend to learn a lot about sports that I'm not very familiar with, like which nations are good at fencing, and just how random Olympic football is (really, really random- no country's one more than 3 medals on the men's side, which seems weird). Getting closer every day/week/month to a proper representation of what an Olympics SHOULD look like, and I'm hopeful that I will get to code a lot this month. (Definitely will in May, but I'm hoping my schedule clears up a bit sooner in April, too) At any rate, keep checking this space- I'll have another update at the beginning of May!

I know it's not an olympic sport but I could really help with bowling because it's been pushed for to be one since bowling has been around aswell as if you want more help on the database! I'm so excited for this game.

3 hours ago, zachw300 said:

I know it's not an olympic sport but I could really help with bowling because it's been pushed for to be one since bowling has been around aswell as if you want more help on the database! I'm so excited for this game.

Zach, thanks for reaching out! I'm glad you are excited!

As for bowling, I will never say no to more data! It's my hope that eventually I will get the program into the kind of shape where users can add sports and such into the Olympics, so I would love to have the data in preparation for that. (Fair warning: that's probably several years out, because I don't work super fast and I'm a long way out from that!)

I'll send you a message on here tomorrow or Wednesday to detail what kind of data I would need and how that would all be formatted- the help would be appreciated! (I'll probably have a couple of questions as well, since I'm only minimally aware of how bowling is set up on an international level)

Thanks,

Jeff

No formal log this month. Busy month at home has meant a pretty light month for programming work. I have been pushing my way through databases for various sports, though, and continue to make progress there. Hopefully  will have some more interesting stuff to come in future months (there kind of has to be....I'm running out of months before the Tokyo games!)

Fun fact for the month: Want to know what the most dominant country in an individual sport is? Well, we have a new leader! Prior to now, China's Table Tennis program was the best I had found (USA basketball is 2nd)...they have been passed up by Russian Rhythmic Gymnastics, which offers up an incomprehensible level of dominance in the sport, both recently and historically. So if you didn't know....then now you know!

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now