Sign in to follow this  
bolusereal

How good is front office football?

If you're just looking for a realistic professional football sim, and can look past graphics, it's the best there is in my opinion.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:27 PM, bolusereal said:

before i shell out money for the aforementioned game, i'd like to know how worth it the game is

Our Review, (Score 9.2 / 10) FOF8 Review - A Game By Stats Heads for Stats Heads https://gmgames.org/front-office-football-8-fof8/review/

General Manager (GM) Games

email [email protected]
website | discord | youtube | reddit | twitch

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Our Review, (Score 9.2 / 10) FOF8 Review - A Game By Stats Heads for Stats Heads https://gmgames.org/front-office-football-8-fof8/review/

Hey Chris, thank you for the review. I have TONS of time on my hands these days and for the foreseeable future, which, combined with a love of football, has me grabbing anything "football " I can find. Your site here was a huge bonus.
A question if you know, because I cannot find mention anywhere...do you know if this game lets you edit players and create new ones?
I love the stats...but a huge part of what I love in these games is altering tiny details and then running through games, or seasons...or even careers, and seeing how much difference they make. To do that mostly requires both an edit capability, and the capability to see what is going on "beneath the surface" so that you can get a grasp on what to edit.

Regarding the ability to edit the player file, it's relatively simple to do and the game's datafile contains documents detailing what each player stat relates to in the .csv file. It does not allow you to edit the player skill values directly, but to quote from the editors guide in the datafile:

Ratings in each category are on a 1-9 basis. These ratings are not exact. When a new career begins, Front Office Football uses the ratings in the player file only as a general guideline. Internal ratings are on a 0-1000 scale, and are partially determined by random chance. This adds to the replay value of the game, as you can not count on a player being a superstar or a dud in each new career.

There is an option, when starting a new game of Front Office Football, to be more exact when importing ratings. What this does is greatly lessen the variability of the ratings selected for individual categories. A "7" in a rating will always be better than a "6". Without that option selected, the "6" could be better than the "7" in some random instances.

Essentially, you are able to edit the player file to make certain players much better or worse than in reality and the game also has an in-built randomness slider you can turn up or down to add even more replayabiity and "what-ifery" to the game.

On 4/16/2020 at 11:58 PM, [email protected] said:

The next front office football is being published by OOTP. So if graphics are an issue for you, the next one will probably be prettier. But it's the most recommended football sim I've seen.

Just to update in case anybody see's this. They are no longer working together and OOTP is not releasing Front Office Football any more. 

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/

The UI isn't the greatest, but it is still the best out there.  Draft Day has improved a lot over the past couple of years also.  

Even though Jim is no longer working with OOTP there is hope that he will release either an update or new version of Front Office.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this