Sign in to follow this  
AlexanderRasputin

[SOLVED] Players Asking for New Contracts too early

This has happened a number of times on my team and others. Players that will have 2+ years left on their contract are "Unhappy/Concerned because they would like to discuss a new contract".

However, the game mechanics do not allow this unless the player is in his last year - and clearly this impacts performance. With my player in question, his performance dropped like a stone last 3 games when this came up. So you are stuck for some time with an underperforming player and no in-game mechanics to address the situation.

Clearly a bug, as I see it.

I'm on record for loving when this happens.  It adds strategy for dealing out long term contracts and penalizes players for being too cheap while you're doing it 😆

If it's a good player that I plan on keeping for a long time, I make sure to pay the man.  Sometimes giving them 100% of their asking or more.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted (edited)

I think you may have misunderstood my post, Paul - the issue isn't in the player being unhappy, it's them asking for a new contract (with all the consequences) multiple seasons before the game will allow you to offer them one.

As an example, Football Manager has this as well, but there you are able to offer the player a renegotiated contract before their current one ends.

Edited by AlexanderRasputin

Posted (edited)

How does a player ask for a new contract?

Edit:  I don't think I am misunderstanding it.  The original post said Players that will have 2+ years left on their contract are "Unhappy/Concerned because they would like to discuss a new contract".  I think it just means that the player is unhappy with their current contract because it's too cheap for their rating level.  It is probably more of an issue with the game wording.  Either way, the player is unhappy with their current contract because it's too cheap.

Edited by Paul T

Example here. Two years remaining, he wants to discuss a new contract. Pros & Cons immediately goes to "Bad Contract Situation", performance has suffered - and as a manager, there are no tools to address it because extensions can only be offered in the last contract year.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.13.17 AM.png

Yeah, I've had that before.  You just need to wait out the season and offer the extension the following year.  The player is happy, though.  How do you know it is impacting their game performance?

It's tough to tell without know the overall of this player and when the contract was initially offered/original term.

I guess I'm probably the wrong person to answer.  I'm a fan of anything that adds complexity, strategy or a challenge for managers to the game.  I love when players reject offers and make random decisions.  To me, this is one of those scenarios.  I think players are signing for way too cheap right now.  I know that some managers try to offer the lowest possible salary that the player will accept at the current time, and I also do to a point, but I also look at league averages and if the player will eventually be a star, I try to offer a little more so that I don't run into this issue.  I'm not sure if I would consider this a bug as it penalizes managers who didn't forecast correctly and went too cheap.

I don't know if anything has changed with Cage, but I did have this same scenario in Biscuit.  I had a player that was concerned the entire season because of this exact issue and he ended up leading my team in goals.  To what point performance is affected is unknown.  I remember discussing this a few years ago in the chat and it was determined that recognizable impact didn't occur until the player was Unhappy.  Concerned was more of a warning.

Maybe, and maybe not. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have players ask for new contracts when that entire functionality is not available to managers at that point.

Just because some players still perform in isolated situations doesn't mean that this makes sense from a logical perspective. It's a Chekhov's Gun principle - if something like "player is unhappy" is shown to us as managers, there needs to be a reason and an action to be taken as a result - otherwise we may as well be spectators.

Agree on your first point, but I really feel like the wording is just off here.  There's many scenarios in this game where the wording is slightly wrong.  The wording means that contract is too cheap and once the new season opens up, you will be able to offer an extension to make him happy.

As for the actions, there's plenty of things you can do besides waiting it out.  Cut him.  Try to trade him.  Ignore it.

There is an extreme benefit to having star players on your roster for very cheap, why shouldn't there be a penalty if things go wrong?  I still think if you are signing a player to a long term contract you need to be aware that this situation may eventually present itself if the salary is too cheap.  There needs to be some type of benefit to shorter contracts and some type of strategy in signing players.  To me that's the biggest aspect of this game.  I think this is somewhat eluded to in the help files.

### Contract happiness
At first the player will be happy with his contract but this might change depending on certain situations. The current contract happiness can be found on Transfer tab on the Player page.  An unhappy player will have a worse game performance so it’s wise to keep your players happy.
### Contract negotiations
When offering a contract to a player he will first let you know of his demands, both salary, contract length and contract clauses if any. You then have the possibility to either offer the exact demands or to edit the offer to your likings. Once you have decided what to offer use the Make offer button to send the offer.

My two thoughts on the above.  First, Concerned players don't impact performance.  It's more of a warning.  Only when the player gets unhappy are they affected.  Second, players give exact salary demands.  It's well known that most players will accept lower than their demands and I'm guessing that most managers do this.  But it should be a risk that managers take in getting into bad contract situations with certain players.

I don't think this is a bug.  I think the game is working as intended.  But maybe the wording is misleading.  Maybe it should just be changed to "Player is unhappy with his contract".

Maybe it is the wording, I can buy that. However, if this is meant to be a realistic sim, I don't buy that assessment of the situation. Think about this happening in the NHL. A player and a club agree on a contract up front, and the player signs it. Imagine players going around complaining about their contracts that THEY agreed to and playing like trash as a result. That's not expected behaviour at all - and this is exactly why it's very rare IRL. I could MAYBE buy this with players that have an Arrogant or Agitator trait, or something. But this player has blue traits.

Now, in football, the approach is entirely different. Player performance drives the contract, term doesn't matter. Players and clubs are free to renegotiate at any point, break the existing terms and install new ones on an extension. But in that case, clubs have the option to open negotiations with an unhappy player immediately. What we have right now with these contract demands is somewhere in between, and definitely looks like a bug.

If it's intended, Anders can weigh in - or this can be another AMA question.

You don't buy what assessment?

Money is a huge aspect of this game.  I'd have to assume this stuff is intended given that players have a hidden "greed" value.  It even states in the help files that players can become unhappy with their contracts.  I'm not sure why a player becoming unhappy with a cheap contract would be surprising to anyone, tbh.  Again, there needs to be some strategy around signing players.  If you are going too cheap on a long term contract then a player becoming unhappy should absolutely be a risk.

Second, the situation you presented above doesn't even really describe the assumed bug.  The player is "happy".  He would also like to discuss a new contract, which you can next season.  I doubt his performance has been impacted by his contract situation.  Even if they get concerned there isn't much impact.  If it seems like his performance has suffered it is probably another factor.  Players go through random slumps.

But my main point here is that there should always be a risk of a great player on a cheap contract becoming unhappy even if the player agrees to the contract.  It almost always means that the player wasn't given exactly what they asked for, so if they were low-balled, then there should be a risk of this happening and can be easily avoided by giving them a better contract upfront.  I've had it happen to my players before too.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this