Sign in to follow this  
slipdog

Goalie fatigue

Question

Something I've always wondered, but I am too lazy to crunch numbers:  When a goalie is tired, does it affect performance, or injury chance?  Or both?

2 answers to this question

This is mostly a copy and past from something I wrote in another post.  It relates to both goalies and skaters.

Endurance impacts the game in two ways - Performance and Injuries.  Or a better way to look at it is, Endurance impacts a player's Health... and a player's Health "could" impact Performance and Injuries.

1. Players with a low Endurance rating get tired faster (assuming training intensity and ice time are equal).  Players who are tired/exhausted, in theory, will perform less than their attributes indicate.  How much less, I have no idea.  If a player has 99 skating and if they are fatigued they perform as if they are a 95 skating, then that's still pretty good.  I don't think it's known how much ratings actually drop for tired/exhausted players.

2. Endurance is one of the many factors that impact a players Health - and low Health (tired/exhausted) can have an impact on injuries.  There are other factors that impact health such as training intensity and ice time... and other factors that impact injuries such as how the other team plays (hard/dirty), being hit and a players own injury proneness.  So the injury thing is not as simple as saying a player with 60 Endurance should get injured more than a player with 90 Endurance since there are so many other factors.

A great example is the GHL Cage Stray Cats goalie Wright.  Great player with horrible endurance.  96 OVR, 63 END.  In season 1 he started 60+ games + all 16 playoff games and dominated.  The Stray Cats won the GHL Cup.  I remember him being exhausted towards the end, but it didn't matter.  Maybe because he's just too good for the performance drop to have that big of an impact.  In Season 2, he ended up getting injured for 30+ games... and in Season 3, his performance took a rapid drop and they had to play a playoff series to avoid relegation.  In all 3 seasons, he was a workhorse when healthy... but you can see the extreme examples. 

So I guess the best way to look at it is, low Endurance has a higher chance of negatively impacting a player's performance and risk of injury, but that doesn't mean it will happen.  It's all chance based.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Managing goalie fatigue is tedious, has there ever been a suggestion to automate it? For instance, if goalie #1 is tired, then goalie #2 starts the game? It could be a user setting so you turn it on or off and set the rules (NEVER, FIT-1, TIR, EXH) since some people just like to ride with #1 goalie. Separate from the original question, but seems like an opportune time to mention.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this