Sign in to follow this  
Ana (Natives)

Raw research on goalies

Question

Some reasearch about goalies based pretty much on statistics, attributes and traits (mostly big games). Its done from both GHL and CHL top 5 goalies on sace percentage and performance. Only goalies with minimum of 20 games played were included. After name first big games trait and then side notes if something catches eye. 

Decided to take CHL along with GHL because its easier to spot differences on attributes and unbalances inside overalls.

GHL 

SV%

1.M.Argall(87ovr) (Bulldogs) 93,4% 

Stable

30yo so experienced. Not the biggest goalie around with 175cm and 74kg. Low endurance(44) and athletic(76)

2. K.Cutter(94ovr) (Prairie Stars) 92,7% Stable

Played in best regular season team in whole league. 3rd most games in league(73).

3. O.Lång(91ovr) (Minuteman) 92,7% Nervous

Best regular season team in East. Medicore positioning(82) and athletic(84).

4. M.Twitty(92ovr) (Steelers) 92,6% Stable

Low endurance(66), but still clear 1st G with 57 gp.

5. N.Gut(91ovr) (Duhawks) 92,4% Anxious

Low spirit(68) but experienced 35yo.

Performance

1. M.Twitty(92ovr) (Steelers) 77 Perf Stable

Low endurance(66), but still clear 1st G with 57 gp.

2. N.Gut(91ovr) (Duhawks) 77 Perf Anxious

Low spirit(68) but experienced 35yo.

3. K.Cutter(94ovr) (Prairie Stars) 76 Per Stable

Played in best regular season team in whole league. 3rd most games in league(73).

4. O.Lång(91ovr) (Minuteman) 76 Perf Nervous

Best regular season team in East. Medicore positioning(82) and athletic(84).

5. K.Havard(87ovr) (Elite) 76 Perf Stable

31yo and good overall traits. Right handed goalie with low endurance(66) and clearly best attribute reflexes(97) and spirit (99). Goalie on team that was on relegation playoffs (W)

6. A.Jaillet(88ovr) (Battlin Bears) 76 Per Heroic

Low endurance(54) and spirit(55). Slightly bigger goalie at 195cm and 97kg

CHL

SV%

1. F.Bayliss(72ovr) (Ghosts) 92,5% Anxious

Only 21yo but big goalie 203cm 108kg. Played on clearly best team of league. Good reflexes and athletic. 2nd G of team.

2. E. Hanley(68ovr) (Aces) 92,4% Determined

35yo and pretty big 195cm 103kg. Spirit (95) is by far his best skill with secondly following puckhandling(79). Good overall traits. Played on lower bracket team.

3. L. Corner(74ovr) (Ghosts) 91,9% Anxious

Reflexes are only rating on green. Again 1st G of best team of the league.

4. E. Hagberg(65ovr) (Firebirds) 91,9% Nervous

Low overall with bad spirit(52) and reflexes(60). Otherwise balanced. Team RELEGATED to IHL.

5. J.Gullet(75ovr) (Yale men) 91,2% Heroic

Very strongly weighted in athletic(85), spirit(99) and endurance(95)

Performance

1. E.Hanley(68ovr) (Aces) 75 Perf Determined

35yo and pretty big 195cm 103kg. Spirit (95) is by far his best skill with secondly following puckhandling(79). Good overall traits. Played on lower bracket team.

2. L. Corner(74ovr) (Ghosts) 74 Perf Anxious

Reflexes are only rating on green. Again 1st G of best team of the league.

3. F.Bayliss(72ovr) (Ghosts) 74 Perf Anxious

Only 21yo but big goalie 203cm 108kg. Played on clearly best team of league. Good reflexes and athletic. 2nd G of team.

4. E. Hagberg(65ovr) (Firebirds) 73 Perf Nervous

Low overall with bad spirit(52) and reflexes(60). Otherwise balanced. Team RELEGATED to IHL.

5. A.Arvizu(75ovr) (Gorillas) 72 Perf Anxious 

Strong overall and reflexes/spirit to CHL.

Well its rather difficult to make conclusion only from goalies, because usually team succes had great influences to both stats in both leagues. From big games trait there wasnt any indication that would support it has massive influence. But this is regular season only so you should approach this strongly that in mind. For example Lång did clearly underperform his regular season sv% (-2,3%) and performance (-4) and he is nervous. When in the otherhand Battlin Bears goalie Jaillet (heroic) came only bit short from his regular season stats in playoffs.

Overall wasnt clearly the biggest factor but still from this we cant compare them because more important is what ovr keeps inside it. In CHL there were 10ovr differences on top 5.

Still this is very raw reasearch with very few data and from only one season. Still my own experiences have been every season that goalies with best minor things and good traits has outoerformed overall and even reflexes/positioning/athletic. Biggest factors for good results has been size and big games trait. But its only one managers coclusion.

I also believe there could be something that supports players streakiness like there are potential and greed. 

For sure goalies are very much different creatures so any experiences that could support anything are usefull :D

Edited by Ana (Natives)

8 answers to this question

Intresting stuff :)

I would just add that last season Lang performance in playoffs was briliant. So not sure about that Nervous trait at all. I think its all bs :DDD

Sry, I ment that probably traits are bs, not your research. I like your research, we need more of that stuff here :) 

I know I was just realistic for it :D Its very hard to analyse how traits effect to everything. Every player has 5 at same time and then comes in tactics, role, linemates, teams succes etc. And we know also that only heroic players arent ideal neither.

5 hours ago, Ana (Natives) said:

Its very hard to analyse how traits effect to everything. Every player has 5 at same time and then comes in tactics, role, linemates, teams succes etc.

I think this is just it.  It's extremely difficult to analyze any one thing in a vacuum.  Goalies for example... first, you would need to analyze the Top AND Bottom goalies in the league.  If most of the top performers are Stable and Anxious, that would imply that the Big Games trait doesn't matter... unless you take a deeper look and realize the bottom ten are all nervous... and that most above average goalies that are Heroic have really bad defenses in front of them.  But who knows.  You'd really have to take it all into consideration (team they play for, defense in front of them, specific attributes, are they only playing bottom tier teams, traits, etc.) and that seems like more time consuming than it's worth.  I wish there was a way to export all these stats/attributes/traits to make researching easier.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

10 minutes ago, Paul T said:

I think this is just it.  It's extremely difficult to analyze any one thing in a vacuum.  Goalies for example... first, you would need to analyze the Top AND Bottom goalies in the league.  If most of the top performers are Stable and Anxious, that would imply that the Big Games trait doesn't matter... unless you take a deeper look and realize the bottom ten are all nervous... and that most above average goalies that are Heroic have really bad defenses in front of them.  But who knows.  You'd really have to take it all into consideration (team they play for, defense in front of them, specific attributes, are they only playing bottom tier teams, traits, etc.) and that seems like more time consuming than it's worth.  I wish there was a way to export all these stats/attributes/traits to make researching easier.

Would have done it for bottom too, but it wasnt possible to make it from worst to the best with those stats.

And yes there are too many things that effects to goalies and everything else. Best way is trial and error and make your own conclusion what works and what you think made that good result.

11 minutes ago, Ana (Natives) said:

Would have done it for bottom too, but it wasnt possible to make it from worst to the best with those stats.

Exactly.  This is why we need the ability to export stats and/or view a larger range like Top 200 instead of Top 20.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

If you want to have the best chance for your goalies to have good stats have a good defensive team in front of them. That is the case with Lang last year. A better defensive team is going to reduce the number of quality shots against and make it more difficult to get to a position for a quality shot. Having low positioning and athletic can be overcome with a better defensive team. Personally I am more willing to trade positioning over athleticism. That said knowing the team that I have is why I felt somewhat comfortable in getting the backup that my GHL team currently has. Wilcot, talent wise, is not too dissimilar to what Lang brought in terms of style. While I would never expect him to get the same results as Lang I think I can get decent numbers out of him. That comes down to knowing my team and players. That said, by the end of the season, I fully expect Wilcot's numbers to be worse than 2.30 GAA and 925 save percentage. I'll be quite pleased if he stays below 2.5 GAA and above 915 save percentage.

From my experience reflexes is the most important goalie skill. I've never seen a goalie with low reflexes relative to the league standard have good stats consistently. From there the team in front and how it plays is going to go into determining what other skills need to be high and the relative performance of the goalie. One final thing to add. I don't think nervous is BS. I think people try to put too much into it. They want it to be an easy or straightforward answer to why or why not when there is no such thing as an easy or straightforward answer in a complex sim. I do think that nervous played a role in Lang's poor playoff performance last season. It wasn't the entire reason for it though.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this