Sign in to follow this  
Wick Schozen

trading a player that has signed an extension

Question

11 answers to this question

How were we we supposed to know this? I'm on the hook now for a player with an expiring contract, that had an extension. I was very careful to make sure the new contract fit under my salary cap, and made the trade.  Now the extension has evaporated, and I can't afford the player's new demands...NOT happy 🤬

On 2/1/2020 at 4:57 AM, jdonutken said:

How were we we supposed to know this? I'm on the hook now for a player with an expiring contract, that had an extension. I was very careful to make sure the new contract fit under my salary cap, and made the trade.  Now the extension has evaporated, and I can't afford the player's new demands...NOT happy 🤬

Giggled a little bit seeing your display picture in relation to your post. 

That's a tough break. I reckon probably the best thing for you situation would be to either use him this season to help your promotion effort if you're outside of the GHL and then at the end of the season offer him a contract with the added cap flexibility after it adjusts to your promotion. Otherwise you'll have to flip him to try and recoup the assets you gave up for him.

His current contract ends in a few days.  I realized a great deal of the reason I was misled was that the trade calculator factored in the upcoming contract for next season.  I have figured out a work-around to keep him, but realize I shouldn't have to work-around anything. I e-mailed support right away, but have not heard back yet, and time is winding down.  Much as I have enjoyed this game, if this situation is not righted, if contracts are not contracts, there's no reason to continue. 

1 hour ago, jdonutken said:

His current contract ends in a few days.  I realized a great deal of the reason I was misled was that the trade calculator factored in the upcoming contract for next season.  I have figured out a work-around to keep him, but realize I shouldn't have to work-around anything. I e-mailed support right away, but have not heard back yet, and time is winding down.  Much as I have enjoyed this game, if this situation is not righted, if contracts are not contracts, there's no reason to continue. 

Well hopefully it doesn't come to you leaving the game. I'm sure there is a way for it to be sorted so you aren't screwed over by these circumstances. 

4 hours ago, jdonutken said:

Absolutely nothing to do with this, but would you trade for Willie Malboeuf-Beausoleil??? He's still young and has upside but doesn't fit into my system.  Looking for a decent equivalent at any position

On 2/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, jdonutken said:

That is a frustrating situation for sure.  But I will say that there is ALWAYS a reason to continue!  Use those little unfair glitch scenarios as motivation.

Take it from a guy who's had this same thing happen to him...... as well as having my draft shortlist glitch during a draft that I spent nearly 15 hours preparing for and ranking 100+ players, only to have the game draft the player I had at #110-ish at the #30 overall spot...... as well as having players consistently reject FA offers to sign with other teams for over a million less...... the list goes on.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

different direction here: I'm being promoted.  In the past, IIRC, between end of season and actual promotion, players eligible for re-signing were requesting current level contracts, NOT new-level-to-be contracts.  Now they're asking for new level NON one-way contracts.  Reason I ask-I am considering trying to sign some expiring players that I don't really want to keep to NON one-way contracts at their present level, so I can trade them to current level teams being demoted.  I guess bottom line if i could do it before, i can't do it now.  If I sign a guy to a new level NON one-way contract, then trade him to a demoting team, what's gonna happen when the new contract expects him to be at Gold, and his new team drops to Bronze?  

After the trade deadline all contract offers are in terms of the following season (example: sign a player not on your roster and they won't report until day 1 of the following season). Then if you are situated in a top 2 seed in your conference after day 87, in terms of contract negotiations you are now considered the level of the league you are promoting to. 

I'm not fully visualizing your situation in my head, so sorry if that doesn't clear it up. But that is how it has always been as a promoting team after day 87, going back to the old version. When I was promoting to the GHL I had a bunch of players that would not resign on SHL contracts, so I had to ensure that I had guaranteed promotion at the end of the season and had to wait until after day 87 to negotiate their extensions.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this