Sign in to follow this  
Wick Schozen

How much do you think about your team away from GPHM?

Putting this question out there to see what other managers perspective is. I find this game a good release from work, studies and the general nuances of day to day life. With how much planning ahead I do with my team and in some regards I go a bit overboard with the notes I have on my team and others in the league, I find myself thinking about the game a lot. 

Anyone else find this game has weaseled its way into your stream of day dreaming? For what it's worth I am in my third season of a rebuild so much of how I'm playing this game right now is geared towards the future which would lend itself to pondering potential outcomes. But just curious on how immersed others get in their roster building. 

There are times when I think about the game quite a bit and others where I am just buried with real life that I can't.  Probably a bit less obsessive than I used to be when I first started.  For me, I check in once a day at the very least at 1pm EST to check scores (and I am interested in scores around the league even down to the SHL level, not just my own).  I don't read the assistant reports much anymore, unless a specific player is not performing well and I'm trying to figure out why/test new things.  Early in the season I will look for a trade here and there.  Where I spend the majority of my time is scouting the draft and for free agency... and that's more for fun than strategy.  Early on, my decisions were more calculated and was trying to find the perfect formula for tactics, players, roles, etc.  That took a lot of time.  Nowadays, I manage more off emotion and try to have fun with the game.  I've realized that there is a lot of randomness to it all, as there should be, so I get pumped after wins and when I lose, I say "oh well" and move on.  Don't really try to justify things with ratings and formulas, etc.  As you said, it's a nice release from the stress of real life, so I try to balance wanting to win with just having fun with it all.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Well said.  Much like RLF hockey, I find the most exciting times are the beginning of the Silly Season and the first dozen or so games to see how your big, new ideas have come together and then again the last 10 games into the playoffs.  I do check it everyday and there are times I find myself thinking about different lineups, etc.  I don't trade a lot, probably because I usually don't agree to a trade unless I see a benefit to my team both short term and long term.  I think it is good to have balance.  Before I was too much into it and frustrated and bored.  Now I just view it as a nice 15 minute "smoke break" at work and move on with my day (and then think about it when I wake up at 2am, haha).  

I think about it often, I'm the coaching type Manager who is always thinking of strategies to improve my team and how I play my goalies and such. Sometimes I just check the scores if all is well I let it go a while especially when I'm busy in real life. I often check early in the Morning before work and in the evening after work. But when I go for a walk I'm often thinking about what I can do to improve my teams' goal output (a chronic problem as a defensive minded coach) or improving the power play. I do tend to visualize how the games play out especially if one of my goalies put up a terrific performance. As all of you have said it is a great release from real life, and gets the youthful imagination going. Sometimes I think about it too much but it's a lot of fun even when stressful.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this