Sign in to follow this  
Chris

How I started.. Playing Sports Sims

7th grade math teacher used Strat-O-Matic Football Cards (this was 1974).  Graduated to PC SIMs with Lance Haffner & APBA

I've honestly only played GM games on mobile devices for the past few years, but ever since last year I got Pro Football 2021 and really enjoyed the aspect of being a Football GM, so I've opened up to other gm games just to see how it goes.

I started playing sports sims going all the way back to Tecmo bowl in 1989. I played every new edition of that series that ever came out. Around the same time I started playing Madden 89, and have played most of that series ever since. Front page sports football first edition in 1992, and it is my all time favorite, as i continued to play the 95 and 98 edition for quite a long time. Through out the 90's i also played every baseball sim their was, and pretty much every major spots sim for any sport. To date i would say Football manager series and OOTP series are the two best sports sims of all time, and i play them constantly. I wish their was a American football game on par with those two series. The closest thing to date would be the Draft day sports series, which is very good. I will update to this thread if anything else comes to mind.

I just got into Sport Sim games recently with FM 2020. Played multiple seasons with clubs from my country (Luxembourg) and from Germany (which leagues I regularly follow). I played it more like an RPG, imagining a background story for my manager and even writing it down. I had a blast playing it, but then I got into baseball an LOVE it, even if that's quite unusual for an European. Naturally, if you say baseball, you say OOTP. And what can I say, that game is amazing, even if its presentation is clunkier than FMs, not so polished and you sometimes get the impression you play a game designed by the same guys who designed excel for Windows. 

I played basketball for nearly 20 years in a club, so I didn't hesitate to buy some basketball sim games during winter sales on steam. Have still to play them though.  

I also play MLB The Show 20 + 21 and NBA2k22, but 2ks business model which relies heavily on microtransactions turns me absolutely down. The Show is much more generous, you get a lot of diamond cards for free or without grinding for hours.  

Feel free to contact me, if you want to play some of the games mentioned above ;) (sadly, my spare time is limited (father of 2)) 

Hi!  this is a good topic to reply to - i have only gotten into sport sims more recently. i have alway sbeen into strategy games, but sports games and sport in general never interested me so much until i started collecting old DOS games and the EA NHL hockey and Dino Dini's Goal got me interested more adn more in sport - but then to get NFL Pro League Football from Microsports really made me come to enjoy sports sims far more - they are strategy games after all too, and i really like the Pro League Baseball series too

I have been looking or Maximum Football 2.0 on the matrix games forum but then saw Puresim baseball mentioned there and that has led me here :)

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this