Chris

How I started.. Playing Sports Sims

Got frustrated with the lack of depth in the most recent Maddens in franchise mode, ended up turning to Front Office Football and then DDSPFS which have really scratched that front office itch.

I started with Out of the Park baseball and another text sim basketball game that I cannot remember. I'm giving Wolverine Draft Day Football another try

For me personally I've always hated sports manager style games. I always wanted to "control the action". So I was a big franchise gamer on the console. But as console gaming shifted more and more away from single player and franchise mode into the pay to win and online crap. I've have no choice but to move on from those games to more realistic options. To me nothing compares to ESPN NFL 2k5 and their franchise mode. Should have known back then it was gonna be all downhill from there.

Edited by drummerJ99

Baseball Stars and Super Tecmo Bowl were my two favorite all time SNES games.  Played them for hours with a couple of friends.  We ran leagues, kept stats, kept record books, etc. 

Eventually I started playing Baseball Mogul.  Much more in depth game that I was fascinated with for a few years.  Moved onto wolverinesports and their pro basketball leagues.  Now I run a 30 team sim league.  Lots of time spent but lots of fun also.

I started playing sport sims with notebooks, cards and dice. Creating my own games; football, icehockey etc.

Then with C64 came the allmighty Football Manager, was I in love. Yes! Then with Amiga 500 Sensible Soccer, God of Football games. And finally lost my soul to sport sims with Championship Manager: Season 97/98. It happened with União de Leiria. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Championship_Manager_-_Season_97-98_Coverart.png#/media/File:Championship_Manager_-_Season_97-98_Coverart.png

Championship_Manager_-_Season_97-98_Coverart.png

I started by watching rebuilds of NBA teams on Youtube. I found campus dynasty and college football coach as well. This was about a year or two ago. Ever since then, I have become obsessed with these types of games. Great Job!

I started out with the Pro Cycling Manager games and then got into the Draft Day Sports series of games as well as OOTP. I personally find these games more fun than the AAA tier games like Madden, 2k, etc seems how with those games I treat them as sims anyways. 

I started with XOR Football. My brother and I would play season after season. Unfortunately, I was ripped off by purchasing the 'upcoming' next version that promised a whole slew of great features. XOR went out of business without ever releasing the game. 

My first game was the original version of Baseball Mogul (with non-licensed teams and players). I then upgraded and was a huge fan of BM08 and also Eastside Hockey Manager 2007.

I have always had more of a passion for the management portion of games and only played franchise in console games such as NHL and Madden as after the first few games I would rarely play PC Games. Now, I am very into FHM, occasionally OOTP, and EHM. Looking at getting into Football sims and debating between FOF and DDS:PF/CF.

Some of my favorite childhood memories include playing sports games with friends and being the GM and HC while my friend was in charge of playing the big games. We would create mega dynasties thanks to my trades (nothing to do with playing the computer).

Just discovered this forum and love the concept as these types of games have always been my passion. 

3 hours ago, petervhooft said:

Started with Football manager, nothing comes close imo 

I'd really love to see an NFL sim with the amount of depth in Football Manager. FOF and DDS scratch that itch but we could have so much more.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now