Sign in to follow this  
Wayne23

DDS:CB3 Dynasty: Mack Jones- The Hard Way

4-2 LSU is in. Tough inside an’ they play man.

Nov. 30: 68-42. Blew ‘em away in the 2nd, givin’ up on’y 16. 12 TOs, 43 RBs, held ‘em ta 22% shootin’. 16, 11 for Jode.

Now the long road trip.

We start at 3-2 Ohio State. They have a very good C and their SG is also good. On paper this one is a toss up.

Dec. 3: 76-63. They kept it close for a while but we never trailed. 20, 13 for Jode, 22, 6 for Barr, 15, 6, 4 for Fram. 11 TOs, 44 RBs.

Looks like we’ve turned it aroun’, now ta keep it that way.

At 3-3 Valparaiso. Good guards.

Dec. 6: 78-69. We took control early. 22, 9 for Jode, 18, 5, 3 for Barr.

At 6-2, #24 Temple. Good players at ev’ry position. They play man.

Dec. 13: 71-76. Close all the way but they led most a the time. They played with real discipline an’; wouldn’t let us in. Guards were great, 20 each, an’ the C had 16, 7, 5. Our starters weren’t getting’ open if not for sub Dave Black’s 28, 6 it would have been real ugly. 19 TOs, way too many. -7 RB.

Hey, they’re good.

Weddin’ in a little more than a week. Lucy’s frantic. Friends an’ the people who work for her seem to be doin’ weddin’ stuff ev’ry minute. If they need me ta I run errands, otherwise me an’ Tail try ta stay outta the way. I read when I’m not doin’ hoops stuff. Glad when it’s over, for lots a reasons.

Last game on the road trip, 2-7 Utah. They lost ta a few real bad teams an’ a couple good ones but the wins were against nobodies. They play man. Startin’ PF is out.

Dec. 21: 73-51. Good game! 19, 15 for Jode, 16 for Black who needs ta get more minutes.

An’ we’ll get home about 7:00 p.m. on the 22nd. Then it’s get ready for the big day on the 23rd!

Dec. 23: 7:00 p.m. ceremony. I won’t bore ya with all the details. It all went perfect, which I guess is why they spend so much time getting ready for it.

Oh, an’ the groom is a very minor role in the play! Lucy was beautiful in a pretty white dress, not a gown. There were flowers all ‘roun’, an a Justice a the Peace did the ceremony. One a Lucy’s friends is a singer an’ she sung three songs, all at diff’rent parts. They were all real good an’ right on target, romantic, nice.

Then the buffet dinner, more music, dancin’.

Lucy's parents did come. They were quiet an' man is she right. Humorless is the word.

I really like her sister an' her husban' an' kids. Hope ta see more of 'em.

At 11:00 Lucy said ta me, “Okay, we need to make our exit.”

So we said goodbye ta ev’rybody an’ headed for the airport. We decided ta fly ta New Orleans. We’re back late on the 26th. I got a game here on the 28th. The assistants will run practice on the 26th, the on’y day I’ll actually miss cuz kids get ta go home for the holiday.

The trip was great. No place like New Orleans.

All a my stuff got moved ta Lucy’s place over the past couple weeks so when we got back I was ready ta be livin’ there, which I practic’ly was anyways. It’s a little cozy, not a big place, but we’ll be fine.

We start conf. play with 3-6 Northern Iowa State here. They play 2-3, first time we’ve seen it this year. On paper this should be easy if we play. Lucy will be here as Mrs. Mack Jones for the first time. I like it!

Dec. 28: 61-48. Great D but we never got the O goin’. We were never in danger but I didn’t like the lack of execution. Marr had 23. 12 TOs, which is more like it.

At 4-6 North Chicago next. Don’t even get ta spend New Year’s Eve with my new wife. H*lluva thing! Oh well. They play man. It’s a road game but if we stay focused we should be fine.

Dec. 31: 81-71. Again, we led pretty much all the way, by as much as 17. 11 TOs. 24, 7 for Barr, 21, 6, 3 for Jode.

Happy 1977. I called Lucy right after midnight. We’d arranged it so’s I knew she’d be up.

We been top 10 RPI all season but haven’t cracked the ratings.

Nice ta be back home. We’ve settled in nicely. Don’t seem ta be getting’ in each other’s way. We talked a lot about balance. We both think there’s times ta do stuff tagether an’ times ta do stuff on our own. We think we do a good job a that, I know, it’s real early, but still.

3-8, 1-1 Missouri State is here. They play man an’ they cough up the ball a lot. We’re on that.

Jan. 4: 77-54. Kinda thought this one would go like it did. Our bigs jus’ killed theirs. 19 for Barr, 18, 7, 2 for Black, 16, 9 for Jode, 12, 2, 3 for Brel. 9 TOs.

Eric Jatt twisted his wrist. He’s questionable for the next game but it don’t look real serious.

At 6-6, 1-2 Des Moines. They play man an’ they ain’t lost at home yet this season. They been real up an’ down an’ they ain’t played nobody. No big scorer or rebounder.

Jan. 7: 69-60. They went up early, led by 11 once, 8 at the half. They were doin’ it with balance, a whole bunch a guys were scorin’. We worked on tightenin’ up the D at halftime. Held ‘em ta 19 in the 2nd so I guess it worked. 17, 12 for Jode, 17, 2, 4 for Morr. +8 TOs, +6 RBs.

Morr strained abdominals. I don’t think he’ll be able ta go in our next game. We’ll see. Jatt’s still hurt but almos’ 100% so it’s him for Morr.

Ranked! #25, RPI #8.

7-6, 1-3 Evansville is here. Morr won’t start. I can spot him here and there an’ that’s about it. Jatt is 100%. He’ll go. They play man, press a lot.

Jan. 11: 73-49. Jatt did great, 11, 2, 4, on’y 3 TOs, shut down the other PG. 17, 6, 3 for Barr, 16, 2, 4 for Fram, 11, 10 for Black. 13 TOs, +8 RB.

Alone in 1st.

At 6-8, 3-2 Southern Illinois. Man and they press a lot. SG is very good, get out on him. They can be turned over.

Jan. 14: 66-54. Led by as many as 33. Never a game. 17, 10 for Jode, 1`4, 6 for Brel. Ev’rybody played well. 13 TOs.

Bad phone call at about 1:30.

“He’s gone!”

“Wha?”

Lucy was in tears.

“Tail is gone!”

“What happened? Where’d he go?”

“I had him in the back yard. You know, we do that. He likes to be out there. Then there was a noise and he just ran after something, I don’t know what. I spent the rest of the day looking for him but I never saw a trace. He’s gone.”

“D*mn! I wish I could be there.”

“Me too.”

“He’ll come back, hon.”

“I’m afraid something got him.”

“No, he’ll be back.”

“You don’t know that.”

“No, but I’m rootin’ for it.” Try ta get some sleep, hon. Nothin’ ya can do tonight.”

“I know, but I can’t sleep. I tried. And I can’t stop crying.”

“D*mn!”

We talked a while longer. We’re both crazy about that little guy. Hope he comes back.

At 10-5, 2-4 Illinois State. These guys beat up some pretty good teams in the pre-conf. season. Then their SG, their best player went down an’ they lost 4 straight ta start the conf. He’s back so watch out. We need ta have a hand in his face all night. Their SF can hurt ya too. They don’t rebound all that well an’ they don’t like pressure.

Jan. 18: 74-82. Can’t give up 82 an’ expect ta win. D was awful. Officials were worse. Fouls were 7 for them, 21 for us. Fram fouled out, 4 each for Morr, Jode, Black, an’ I had ta sit all of ‘em for long stretches. I got the 2nd T of my career, an’ d*mn near got tossed late. I thought about it then decided against. They shot 32 free throws, we shot 12, an’ that was the diff. BUT, we let ‘em make 13 threes. Can’t blame the three blind mice for that. O was fine, 6 in doubles, 13 TOs, +8 RBs.

I shouldn’t a said it but at the press conf. after the game I said the refs were awful, an' I kinda went inta detail. I’ll get fined for that. Oh well. I don’t lose control often. First time, really.

Still no sign a Tail. Can’t wait ta get home. Not that I can do much but I think it’ll help Lucy ta have me there.

Back tied for 1st with Wichita State, an’ there next, at our place.

Got home an’ we walked the whole back yard, the woods behind, everywhere we could, but no sign a Tail. Lucy is a pretty strong person but she’s takin’ this pretty hard. She got Tail when he was 8 weeks, an’ he’s 5 years now. I miss the little guy too.

Wichita State’s 14-4, 6-1, an’ they ain’t lost on the road- all 4 losses at home. That’s unusual. They play a tough 1-2-2. C is their best but they’re real good at SG an’ SF too. This one won’t be easy. We need to really focus.

Jan. 21: 70-51. We played great! Really rose ta the occasion. Jumped out ta a 11-0 lead an’ never looked back. The Peoria Center was the loudest I ever heard it but we gave ‘em lots a reasons ta make noise. Real balance. We had 7 guys with between 8 an’ 14 points. 11 TOs. We really were at our best tonight. Felt good.

Still no Tail. Not a hint. Been a week an’ that’s prob’ly a real bad sign.

At 8-10, 4-4 Indiana State. Good outside game. They play man.

Jan. 25: 70-52. We played real well again, jus’ in control, confident. 6 TOs. 16 for Jatt who was really feelin’ it. Jus’ a solid, solid effort.

Wichita State lost. 2 game lead.

At 6-12, 3-6 Northern Iowa, the bottom a the conf. On’y won by 13 at our place. They play the 2-3.

Jan. 28: 66-53. An’ again tonight, in control. 9 TOs. 17 for Barr, an’ the nex’ six guys all had between 6 an’ 11.

TOs at 12.2 per game.

Jan. 29: One of the PGs we offered ta didn’t hit the score. Don’t know about this year. We jus’ ain’t getting’ guys. Add a couple more an; keep tryin’.

Home late, jus’ fallin’ asleep. Hear a scratchin’ sound. Hear it again. Lucy’s sleepin’. I get up. It’s at the back door. I open it. Tail. An’ he’s a real mess.

“Lucy!”

After a minute she hears me, gets up.

“Oh, he’s bad!”

“What can we do at this hour, it’s like 2:00 a.m.?”

“There’s an all night vet hospital, other side of town. I’ll call.”

“I’ll get dressed.”

We take Tail in. They tell us there’s a lot a patchin’ ta do but they think he’ll pull through. Somethin’ tore him up. They can’t believe he lived through it. Musta managed ta escape an’ hide some place. We leave him, head back home. By now it’s about 5:30 so I don’t go back ta bed. Just go for a run. Lucy does go ta sleep. Hope the little guy makes it.

They keep Tail for 3 days an’ send him home. He’s weak, slow movin’, but he’s here an’ he’s makin’ it. Sleeps mosta the time but hey, he’s a cat. Likes ta be right with one of us, in a lap.

7-12, 4-6 North Chicago is here. Beat ‘em by 10 there. They play man. Decent C, guards not bad.

Feb. 1: 68-47. Same story, jus’ in charge. Jatt didn’t do much buit the other six all between 7 an’ 13 points. 13 TOs, +5 RB.

2 up on Wichita State, at least 4 on ev’rybody else with 7 ta play.

At 8-12, 6-5 Missouri State. Won by 23 at home.

Feb. 4: 64-53. Not as close as the final score. Same balanced scoring as the last few. 12 TOs. +10 RB.

#17, RPI #7, 18-3, 11-1. Got it goin’!

Tail is healing well, getting a little more energy but still pretty slow goin’.

Lucy decides ta put the bookstore on the market.

“It just makes sense.”

“No way ta guarantee we’ll get the right job offer.”

“I know, but if not I’ll find a job for a year. It’s fine. I don’t want to be stuck here with you somewhere else.”

“Good! I sure don’t want that either. Make sure ta get your price though.”

“Don’t worry about that! I won’t give this place away. I worked hard to build the business and it’s a money maker.”

10-11, 5-7 Des Moines is in. We won by 9 there. They play man an’ they don’t match up that bad with us on paper, but if we play we’ll be fine.

Feb. 8: 79-53. 20, 14, 2 for Jode, 4 others in double figures. 9 TOs, +13 RB.

Jus’ breezin’ along. On’y Wichita State is still in it, 2 back.

At 12-10, 6-7 Evansville. Beat ‘em by 24 at home. They play man an’ press some.

Feb. 11: 65-54. 18, 2 for Barr, 10, 10 for Jode, 14, 3, 1 for Morr. 12 TOs, +9

RB.

Wichita State lost again. Up 3 with 4 to play.

#13, RPI #5.

8-15, 5-9 Southern Illinois is here. We won by 12 there. They play man.

Feb. 15: 71-42. Never a doubt. 16, 7 for Black, 15, 7 for Jode, 15, 2, 5 for Morr. 7 TOs.

18-6, 10-5 Illinois State is here. They beat us by 8 at their place, our on’y conf. loss so far. They do a lot well. Esp. good at 2, 3 an’ 4, an’ those are the guys that beat us.

Feb. 18: 84-67. Jode had a GAME! 32, 10. 10 TOs. 15 for Fram, 14 for Black. 10, 7, 2 for Brel.

17-9 Illinois-Chicago is in for the Bracket Breaker. They play man. Good guards an’ a deep bench.

Feb. 19: 74-48. It jus’ keeps goin’. Actually this one was close for 33 min. Then we exploded, 27-5 run. 18, 1, 8 for Morr, 16, 5 for Fram, 15, 5, 1 for Brel. 12 TOs.

“I may have an offer for the book store.”

“Already! That’s great!”

“Yeah. It’s a chain though. I’d rather sell to a private owner. Someone who has just this one store. I hate to see the big guys take over.”

“I agree. Up ta you though.”

“I think I’ll wait. My agent will go crazy. These guys will give me a great price.”

“Yeah, but if it’s not what you want for the store
”

“It’s not.”

At 21-7, 12-4 Wichita State. We won big at our place but it won’t be easy here. They’re 7-1 in the last 8. They have good players at ev’ry position.

Feb. 22: 68-58. They owned the first half, led by as many as 11, 5 at the half. In the 2nd we decided to pressure the PG, an’ we got out on the outside shooters much better. It all worked an’ we took charge. 27, 2, 5 for Morr, 17, 2, 2 for Barr. 11 TOs.

Tail is pretty much back to 100%. Great ta see.

One more ta play. 13-14, 9-8 Indiana State, here. We won by 18 there.

Watch the outside game.

Feb. 25: 55-45. We built a 26 point lead in the 1st an’ kinda relaxed after that. Balanced scoring. 10 TOs.

Averaging a great 11.7 TOs per game.

#8, RPI #5. 25-3, 17-1. Won our last 12. Won the conf. by 5 games.

It’s the post season!

“I think I may have another possible buyer.”

“Tell me!”

“It’s a middle age couple. They said they’ve always wanted this type of business. They seem really excited.”

“Great!”

“If they can come up with the money. I think it might be close whether they can put it together well enough to get the bank to loan them what they’ll need.”

“Oh. It gets complicated I guess.”

“Yes, it can. I really want these people to get the store. I think they’d keep the atmosphere I’ve built there. That means a lot to me.”

“I’ll keep my fingers crossed.”

“Mack
 How would you feel if I lowered the price?”

“Hey, I don’t know anything about business. You do. I’ll support your decision.”

“If I came down about $7,000 they’d make it.”

“You’re willing to lose $7,000?”

“I guess I am.”

“Lotta money.”

“I suppose it is. Do you think I shouldn’t?”

“I think you should do what you want to do. The money won’t mean a thing when I get my next job. It’s no big deal. Do what makes you happy and that will make me happy.”

“Well
 it kind of goes against my business sense a lot, but I want them to have the business. I need to think about it some more.”

“That’s fine. Keep me posted.”

We’ll play 9-19, 5-13 Southern Illinois in the ÂŒ finals. Beat them by 12 and 29.

March 4: 86-54. Biggest margin a the year. 22, 7, 4 for Barr, 20, 6, 3 for Jode. 8 TOs, +13 RBs.

14-15, 11-7 Missouri State in the semis. Beat ‘em by 23 an’ 11.

Ranked #5, RPI #7. BUT
 Bubble Watch has us at 15.

March 5: 83-66. Another game that was never a contest. 27, 5, 2 for Jode, 19, 2, 4 for Fram, 16, 4, 2 for Morr, 10, 7 for Barr. We’ve outgrown this conference. I did not like 16 TOs.

Illinois State for the title. I thought it would be Wichita State but they faded. Ill. ST gave us more trouble. They are 23-7, 12-6, 10-1 in the last 11, losin’ on’y ta us. We split with them, each team winning at home. SG an’ SF can hurt you an’ they did in the first game. PG hurt us in the 2nd. We’ll pressure the PG an’ we gotta get out on the shooters.

March 6: 79-70. We led most of the way, by as many as 24. At the end they came back but I had my bench in. It wasn’t really close. Balanced scoring, 7 guys between 6 an’ 15 points. 13 TOs, +7 RB.

Now we wait to see where we go. I can see a #3 seed easily, even a #2- but we won’t get a #2, may not get a #3.

March 11: “It’s sold. They got the financing.”

“The $7,000 made the difference?”

“I think so, yes.”

“Great. I know this is what you wanted. When will it be official?”

"Closing is March 29, at least that’s the target date.”

“That’s wonderful news. Hopefully we’ll be moving soon after that.”

March 12: Here we go! Not in the East. Not in the Midwest. #4 South. We play Southern, 20-9 in the first round. Could have been worse.

Lucy can’t come with us to the first round games. Too much going on with the sale of the book store. Our games will be on TV though.

20-9 Southern plays man an’ they don’t press a lot. 3-2 in the last 5, but won the 7 before that. They don’t give up a lotta points. They score both inside and out but they aren’t big an’ they can be turned over.

March 17: 74-57. 36-15 at the half which sorta says it all. 5 guys in double figures. 13 TOs, +7 RB.

23-8, #5 seed Missouri. They play man, don’t press much. 6-1 in last 7 games. They score more inside than out an’ they take care a the ball. We wanta out RB them an’ stay outta foul trouble.

March 19: 78-51. Thought it would be tougher. Again, balanced scoring, 7 guys playing good, hard basketball. 10 TOs, +19 RB.

Tough match up with #1 seed, #4 ranked North Carolina, 28-7. On paper we’re in a lot of trouble. In reality, we need to play our very best and they need to be a little below theirs. Still, we didn’t come here to get beat. They play a very tight man and don’t press much. They go to SG an’ SF but they can score from ev’ry position. We need ta keep ‘em off balance- shift the D, pressure now an’ then, mix it up, try ta confuse ‘em. We can’t let ‘em own the boards an’ we can’t let ‘em do what they wanta do on O.

March 24: A 48 foot prayer at the end of regulation
 Yep, we were up 70-67 after two free throws by Ed Brel. 2.2 left. They threw to half court and their SG threw up a 48 footer. It went in, we went to OT, they won 82-77. They took control early, built a 15 point lead an’ we battled back the resta the way. Finally tied it with :55 ta go. Got 2 free throws for the lead. They hit a 3, we hit 2 more free throws. They missed, we got 2 more. Then the 48 footer. It demoralized us and we couldn’t quite snap out of it in OT. H*ll of a way ta go out.

Balance again. This time 8 guys, Little used Neil Wise had 9, the other 7

between 6 an’ 12. We had 20 TOs but that was the only low. +5 RB, great D, smart decisions, mixed it up on D. I could not have asked for more- well, maybe an ounce of luck.

What a season, 30-4! I’m 85-20, .810 for my three years here, and I couldn’t be prouder of my kids. Tony Morr, Jim Barr an’ Nick Jode all graduate but this should be a really good team again next year, whether I’m here to lead it or not. Transfer Wade Laz is world class, and at least five good players are back. If any recruits develop at all these guys will be somethin’.

Now we wait. I will go to the Final Four again, for the exposure and the contacts.

March 26: Well, recruitin’ success at last. We get #47 SG Dave Bell, #93 PF Jay Gomes, an’ #145 PG Ivan Nell. So five recruits, three guards, two bigs.

#1 Maryland, #2 KY, #4 No. Car. an’ long shot unranked Evansville in the Final Four.

March 30: Lucy’s closing happened today. It went the way it was supposed ta go, and she no longer owns “Old Friends”. She agreed to help the new owners out with the transition for the next week or so and seemed happy about that.

I leave tonight.

Lots of people ta talk with at the Final Four. Some nibbles, some interestin’ conversations. Some reasons ta believe I’ll be getting’ some phone calls.

April 1:#2 Ky vs. #4 North Carolina for the title.

April 3: KY by 15.

I fly home tanight. A couple A.D.’s all but told me they expect ta be discussin’ a coachin’ job soon. We’ll see.

April 4: Awards: I get Coach award again. 1st team: Jim Barr, Nick Jode. 2nd team: Dave Black, Tony Morr. Not bad.

April 9: Team Prestige didn’t move, which makes no sense.

The phone’s ringin’! An’ ringin’! An’ ringin’!

Hm. Lots of lateral, or jus’ better than lateral offers. Nothin; that JUMPS at me. Half a dozen offers ta schools at major conferences an’ I’m guessin’ I’ll end up at one a them cuz bigger budget, better facilities, bigger salary- although that alone wouldn’t do it. I’m gonna visit a few, most of ‘em in hot weather climates. I hate the heat but that seems ta be where the vacancies are.

And we’re goin’ ta Auburn. Power conf., salary doubles, bigger budget, way more prestige. We’ll need ta rebuild, maybe a couple a not so great seasons, but a good move, I think.

April 16: Time ta hire assistants. Great hires! #1 is Ed Roy, who will recruit.

He was #2 at Ole Miss an’ ready to move up. I grabbed him quick as I could, for 5 years.

#2 is Rick Lee, who will be bench/practice coach. He was #3 at Texas, lookin’ for a promotion, an’ I grabbed him real quick, too.

#3 is Roy Loud, who will scout. He was #3 at Va. Tech. Thought he’d get more visibility here, lookin’ ta move up. I may not have him long but I want him. Truly a world class staff!

April 23: I ask for a budget increase. Nope. I guess they spent enough on me- although I’m makin’ 100 grand less than the last guy.

My numbers are: Off.- 28, Def.- 39, Recruit-95, Scout- 90, Player Dev.- 36, Reputation- 54.

Great years in Peoria. Here’s hoping the ones here will be, too. Not lookin’ forward ta the heat but definitely lookin’ forward ta what we will build here. Hope they’re a little patient though.

May 1: Lucy an’ me- an Tail, are in faculty housin’ while we look for a place. We know what we want, jus’ a three bedroom, not too big, near campus, a little land. Nothin’ too fancy or too expensive. I figger we can put down between 35-50%, so a low mortgage.

At the same time Lucy’s lookin’ for a business. She wants another used book store an’ she might get lucky right off the bat. There’s one right on campus an’ the owner is not young. She looks in her 70’s. Lucy looked at the place, loved it. She says down south ya go slow so she’s gonna make a friend a the owner before she starts askin’ if the place might be for sale. Lucy should have enough money from the sale a her place ta put down a lot if it is for sale, so she’ll have a small mortgage too. So we’re real busy on that front.

This is a class school an’ the athletic facilities show that. The offices are in the Auburn Dome, where we play our games. The place is not new, an’ it could use a little work, but it’s spotless. I share a secretary with baseball, 50-50, so that’ll be great. My office looks like it got all new furniture for the new coach, a beautiful desk, conference table, an’ a recliner, which I love. I don’t sleep in the office much since Lucy entered my life but it happens, an’ more often I get worn out an’ want a nap. The recliner’ll be great for that.

Great filin’ system an’ plenty a room. The assistants each have a small office a their own, near mine. A. D. Buck May is just down the hall.

Man! 4 guards on the entire squad an’ not a senior. We’re switchin’ a couple ta hardship or academic scholarships an’ lookin’ for transfers.

We buy the Gold Southeast report, an’ basic national an’ international.

Ouch! Two guys transfer out. That’s gonna hurt. One was a guard. Man!

June 5: Lookin’ at some transfers.

We found a place we really like. A little bigger than we wanted but not much, four bedrooms, a big finished basement, unusual down here, an’ in a beautiful spot about Âœ mile east a the campus. We’re talkin’ price.

Lucy an’ the woman at the bookstore are friends an’ Lucy says she’s about ready ta ask if there’s any interest in sellin’.

June 12: Got one transfer. Junior C Joe Sand. Looks like he could help us.

June 25: It is gonna be a LONG year. I don’t see a lotta talent here. We’d better recruit well.

We put in an offer on the house an’ it looks like they’re gonna accept. Lucy says the woman sounds like she’s open ta sellin’ her business. Things are getting’ interestin’.

June 26: 6 ta give. We need guards more than bigs. Lookin’ at 23 ta start, 14 guards, 9 bigs.

July 2: House offer accepted. We hope ta close in a couple weeks, be in by early August. We both love the place. Tail isn’t committin’.

Lucy says she’s close ta makin’ an offer on the book store. She really loves the place an’ the woman who owns it. The woman’s 74 as it turns out. She’s a widow an’ the store is her life. Lucy says she wants part a the offer ta be that she can stay on as long as she wants. They’ve really become friends an’ Lucy says she’d be a huge asset.

July 18: Lucy offered. The woman said she’d think about it but wasn’t in a big hurry. The part about stayin’ on was big though, Lucy thought.

We closed on the house yesterday an’ we can move any time but we want ta do a little fixin’ up first, an’ install central AC which it don’t have. We need it since we don’t like the heat at all, either of us. Still hope ta be by early Aug.

Aug. 7: Pluggin’ away at the recruits. Looks good, really.

Aug. 10: We’re in the new place. Lovin’ it!

Aug. 16: The woman said she wanted ta talk about sellin’. Lucy is thrilled.

Aug. 21: We can offer scholarships today. Tough choices.

We offer ta 4 guards, 2 bigs.

Aug. 29: Lucy thinks she has a deal.

Sept. 11: We can visit 4 of the 6 we offered to.

Sept. 14: Lucy has a deal. Closing next week. She got a great price and put down 60%. Both sides are happy.

Sept. 18: We get one. Jim Mack, #42, PG. Good catch!

And we have a schedule. We’re at the Coaches’ Classic. Not sure we’re ready for that but hopefully we can steal at least one win. We went just a little soft in the pre-conf. part. Conference will be tough enough.

Sept. 25: BIG day. We get 4 of the 5 remaining, lose one. We get Steve Buck, #62 SG, Ian White, #33 PF, Dan Wall, #49 PG, Ike Eber, #36 SG. So we’re chasin’ a big guy.

Oct. 2: We get our last guy, Walt Cole, #60 C.

First day of practice.

We’re picked ta finish 5th. I’d take it.

Practices are going well but lots of mysteries. Not sure what to make of some of these guys. Hope to get a better feel of who can do what as practices continue.

Nov. 6: Exhibitions this week.

Still not a great feel for this team. We’ve settled on a lineup but expect things to change up during the early season. This team is very hard to figger.

On the home front we love our place but neither of us spends much time there. I’m really busy, as expected. First year in a new job is like that. Lucy is all but living at the book store. She really likes the set up. I never mentioned but it’s almost directly across the street from the Auburn Dome. I often call before lunch, pick something up, bring it over there and we have lunch together. It’s nice when we can do that. Gives us a little more time tagether.

Can’t believe we got to the start of the season so fast.

We start with Provo at the Coaches Classic. They’re the 8 seed, we’re 9. They play man, they have a very good SF and that’s about all we know. I’m more interested in what we’ll learn about ourselves.

Nov. 13: 63-52. Good start! It went back and forth for close to 35 minutes as my guys learned to play tagether. We got decent ball movement but were missin’ some switches on D in the 1st half. We rebounded really well (+10 for the game). Ball handlin’ was on’y okay, 16 TOs. Then we kinda figgered it out late, went ona 14-3 run, built the lead ta 21 an’ walked it home. Sub guard Al Carr had 15, 2, 2 in 24 min., Nick Penn had 13 at SF an’ held down their best player. Colin More had 10 RBs at C, an’ big man Art Gore came off the bench for 12 an’ 10. So we’ll be lookin’ close at Carr an’ Gore. I knew we’d be makin’ adjustments though.

Now we get ta play the #1 seed, #7 ranked Kansas. I do not think we are ready for this kind of match up but again, we’ll learn some things. They play man, are solid at all 5 spots, an' have a deep bench. Fasten seat belts, it could be a bumpy ride!

Nov. 15: 68-82. Okay, not all that bad considerin’. They’re a lot better than we are but we hung in, didn’t quit, even when they went up 20. So we got heart. I can work with that. Speakin’ a heart, John Hart at PG had a nice game, 14, 5, 2, an’ a nice job n a very good PG. 20, 14 for More at C. Figgered him for, our go to, an’ still do. Penn had 12, 5 at SF. Too many TOs, 19, but +6 RB.

We’ll basically play 7 guysan’ the 7 are okay, maybe a little better than I thought. First week was encouragin’, all in all.

Nov. 20: All 6 recruits come in to sign. Great lookin’ bunch with great numbers- ranked 27, 37, 44, 49, 54, 68. We could be trouble nex’ year!

Home opener vs. Lewisburg. The local press has been welcoming. Expectations are too high an’ I’m tryin’ ta calm that down, remindin’ folks that this program’s been down for a few years an’ we’ll need a little time. Hope they give it ta me. Fans an’ press ain’t always patient or reasonable. This team looks like cup cake city.

Nov. 23: 61-47. No challenge but I wasn’t feelin’ a lot of energy from my guys. 21, 7, 2 for More, 9 TOs, which I liked a lot. Balanced scorin’. I want more though.

2-1 George Mason is here. They play man. On paper this looks like a pretty even match up. This early it’s hard to say.

Nov. 26: 66-58. Some back and forth but we were pretty much in control, but again, I’m not seeing the energy I’d like to see from this team. 21, 9 for Penn at SF, 10, 8, 3 for More, 10, 7, 2 for Evans at SG. 8, 6, 3 for Hart at the Point.

The staff evaluates regularly. We talk about adjusting minutes but we're still in the gathering data stage. No one has stepped up in a way that makes us think we NEED to give him more minutes. At least not yet.

2-2 Houston is here. On paper this looks like a battle, and I think it will be decided inside.

Nov. 30: 60-61. Close all the way, never more than an 8 point diff. At the end they had it last an’ scored. 1.1 lef’ an’ we couldn’t do anythin’ with that. The issue was that we let ‘em shoot 53.8%. Can’t win that way. And we won the inside battle, easy. They beat us outside an’ at the line. 14, 13 for More, 18 for Carr. 13 TOs, +2 RBs. Again, the D did us in.

Dec. 2: “I’m pregnant.”

Now there’s a line that stops ev’ry man dead in his tracks. I mean no real surprise, that’s been the idea for a few months now but somehow those two words... After the initial shock it’s an incredibly wonderful thing to hear, of course. Then ya start ta think about ev’ry single thing in your life is about ta change, but it’s still great. Then there’s hugs, emotion, excitement, a zillion things ta discuss, none of ‘em meanin’ a thing just yet. I mean we’re talkin’ June maybe before there’s an actual baby so we got time. But wow. Just WOW!

#14, 5-1 Arizona is in. Now this should be a challenge. On paper they’re better at most ev’ry position, an’ they got a long bench. They haven’t played anybody though, an' their top scorer jus’ broke his arm. They’re tough inside an’ good with the ball.

Dec. 3: 71-63. Yeah! 12 lead changes, 8 ties. -13 RBs, they were REAL tough inside, but 9 TOs (+7), an’ we took 10 more free throws. Their SG an’ SF scored too easy but we stopped ev’rybody else. 18, 5, 2 for More, 18, 2, 1 for Carr who’s been hot. We’re lookin’ ta see if we can get him more time. 13 for Penn. Great win!

We shake up the lineup. We’ll be smaller but a lot quicker. Carr will start.

5-2 Ohio visits. Good outside. Very good PG.

Dec. 7: 66-47. Carr responds to starting with 31. Makin’ me look good! 14, 12 for More.

At 2-4 Arkansas State. Guards carry the load. No inside game.

Dec. 10: 71-53. 27, 4, 2 for Carr. 12, 5, 1 for Hill, 8, 6 for More, 8, 7 for Gore from the bench.

The morning sickness has started. Bein’ thankful I’m a guy!

At 3-5 Tulsa. Very good at C.

Dec. 13: 71-57. 15, 10 for More, 15, 3, 1 for Carr, good contributions from the others. 13 TOS, +11 RB.

6-3 Utah St. is in. 2 quality wins, 3 bad losses.

Dec. 17: 69-54. 23, 14 for More who dominated inside. 7 TOs, +13 RB. We seem to have hit our stride and starting Carr has really worked out well.

Dec. 18: Ranked! #25. First time in 4 years for the program. I didn’t expect it this year. We’re doin’ great.

At 5-4 New Hampshire. Talent mismatch, just play our game.

Dec.21: 78-69. 24, 3, 4 for Carr, 9, 3, 5 for Hart. 11 TOs

Dec. 23: Our first anniversary. We went out an’ Lucy wasn’t sick so she was able ta enjoy a nice dinner. She says the morning sickness is jus’ once in a while an’ by lunch she’s good for the day. Says she feels good mosta the time. Easy ta see she’s real excited about the baby. Me too, but I don’t hafta go through what she is. It was a nice anniversary.

At 6-2 North Baltimore ta end the pre-conf. season. They’re better inside than out.

Dec. 24: 75-55. 23 for Carr, 10, 10 for More, 3 guys had 7 each.

Dec. 25: We decided we wanted it to be just the two of us for the holiday. For the next coupla decades it will be family time. Who knows when it will be just the two of us again, esp. if we have more than one kid. So we wanted this one ta be just us. It was an’ it was nice.

A surprising 10-2 goin’ inta conf. play. Never woulda figgered that. #21, RPI.

#11. Peoria is 5-5, unranked. I’m shocked.

It will get harder. This is a strong conference.

At 4-8 LSU ta start. More outside than in.

Jan. 4: 74-60. 19, 9, 3 for More, 14, 4, 2 for Carr, 12, 3, 1 for Evans, 11, 8 for Hill. Good start.

#23, 11-2 Alabama is here. This should be a test. They’re good. We can beat them, get out on the outside shooter, rebound.

Jan. 7: 70-62. Back an’ forth. We started ta take over in the last 5. 22 for Carr, 11, 15 for Hill, 10, 7, 2 for More.

At 10-4, 1-1 Missouri. They’re tough inside.

Lucy says she’s making at least twice as much money in the new store as she did in Peoria. Her friend who owned it really built it up beautifully and it is a very smooth operation with a large, loyal clientele. Lucy knows how to take care of people, and she can turn on the charm, so it will only get better. Since I also make more than twice what I did at Peoria we have no financial worries and we’re saving and investing a lot of money.

Jan. 11: 54-62. First bump in the road in a long time. 9 game streak ends. Their 11 threes hurt but we didn’t score many points. When ya give up 62 ya should win. 16, 3 for Carr, 12 each for More an’ Hill but nobody else did much.

3-11 Nashville is here. They’re havin’ all kindsa trouble.

Jan. 14: 57-50. Two poor offensive performances in a row. Hm. 26, 3 for Carr. 10, 9, 2 for Gore from the bench.

Jan. 15: #20, RPI #11. 13-3, 3-1.

#8, 13-2 Kentucky is in. Very strong inside game. We need to contain it to have any chance at a win.

Jan. 18: 78-76. H*ll of a game! Down as many as 12 early, 6 at the half.

They were killin’ us inside but Carr couldn’t miss, which kept us in it. In the 2nd we went 2-3 to have more bodies down low, an’ it worked. Carr stayed hot an’ that was the diff. 37, 3, 2 for Carr with 8 threes. 17, 5 for Hill. 10, 0, 8 assists for Hart. We really played hard an’ well tonight. This is the kind a win that can make a team believe!

At 3-13, 0-5 South Carolina. They play 3-2 which could lead to a field day for Carr if we can find him. These guys are better than they been playin’ though. I’m tellin’ my guys ta expect a battle.

Jan, 21: 75-53. No contest. 17, 4, 6 for Carr, 17, 4, 7 for Hart, 16, 12 for More, 13, 5, 1 for Hill.

#19, RPI #11, 15-3, 5-1.

Lucy had a little set back. Didn’t seem so little an’ we rushed her ta the hospital. They calmed us down, solved the problem, kept her overnight. In the mornin’ her doc said she was fine, the baby was fine, jus’ take it a little easier. No need ta stop workin’ or anythin’ jus’ take it easy, put her feet up an’ rest ev’ry now an’ then. Whew! Ya do tend ta over react in these situations. It’s on’y natural.

Mississippi State, 4-2, 1 back a us an’ KY is in. They’re tough at 2, 3, 4, an’ can score inside an’ out. We’re gonna pressure the PG. We gotta hold our own on the boards too.

Jan. 25: 79-77. Whew! Down one, 8 ticks. Hart brought it down, dribbled for a few, shot it to Al Carr who calmly drained a three with a hand in his face. 23, 2, 2. 10, 5, 5 for Hart, 15, 7, 4 for Evans, 12 for Hill. They focused on stopping More, which they did, but Hart found the open man all night long. We had ta work for this one. Very satisfying win.

At #18, 15-4, 5-2 Arkansas. These guys can play, strong at every position. They play a tough man to man. We need ta hold our own inside ta have any shot here. It won’t be easy.

Jan. 28: 61-69. They went up 16 early, 12 at the half, never quite gave up the lead. We got close a half dozen times but couldn’t get over the hump. We managed to win the inside game but turned it over 18 times ta their 6, an’ that was the diff.

It’s a tough conference. We’re doin’ fine so far. We’ll lose some, that’s jus’ how it is. And we’re a year away, maybe two.

Jan. 29: All our guys hit the SAT score. We may free up a spot or two late. If so we have a couple a guys we’re still talkin’ with.

12-8, 5-3 Texas A & M is in. This is another very good team. Tough inside. Not many easy teams in this conf.

Feb. 1: 84-65. 1st half was a war, back an’ forth all the way. They were doin’ it with balance, 9 guys scored in the 1st for them. Once again we decided ta go 2-3 in the 2nd. They had been settin’ such good picks against the man that we needed ta try somethin’ different. It worked. It plugged the passin’ lanes, we started turnin’ ‘em over, regularly. On O we were doin’ a great job a mixin’ inside ta Hill an’ More, then when they collapsed a little we got it ta Carr an’ he wasn’t missin’. We opened up a lead an’ stretched it out, controllin’ the 2nd half. It wasn’t as easy as the final score made it look.

Good win! 23, 2, 5 for Carr. What a different team we’ve been since he’s been startin’. 17, 8, 3 for Hill,12, 5 for More, 11, 3, 1 for Evans. Very good minutes from the bench, 21, 6, 1.

At 13-9, 6-3 Georgia, another really good team. Better outside than in but tough all around.

Feb. 4: 63-55. We were on top most a the way but they stayed close enough ta keep it interestin’. Balance for us. More an’ Hill had real good games inside, Penn was solid from the bench. Our guards had their hands full but matched an’ contained theirs. 11 TOs, +5 RBs.

Nice times at home. Lucy’s pregnancy jus’ kinda sets a happy atmosphere. Plans, dreams, what ifs, all sorts of things. We’ve never been closer.

Tied with Ark., one back a KY. 18-4, 8-2, #17, RPI #7. Again, way better than I expected.

13-11, 3-7 Florida is here. Not the typical year for this team but they are always dangerous.

Feb. 8: 82-60. 51 in the 1st. 20, 5, 4 for Carr, 11, 7 for More. 8 TOs.

Alone in 2nd.

At 12-10, 5-6 Mississippi. They play 3-2. With that D if we can get it to Carr he should have a lot of open looks. This team has struggled lately, 2-4.

Startin’ C broke his hand, which is a big part a that. They’re good with the ball. We need to control the inside game.

Feb. 11: 72-80. We didn’t play good D, let ‘em shoot 50%. Can’t be givin’ up 80.

KY lost too. Still 1 back but now one of three there- Alabama an’ Ark. Are the others. 3 of our last 4 are at home which is a huge help.

Lucy has been feelin’ great. Due date is June 7, so almost 4 months to go.

Tail seems ta know somethin’s goin’ on. Always right there. When we sit he’s in one of our laps or bumpin’ up against us. Kinda funny. Been more clingy since the attack anyway but even more than that these days.

Got in a little trouble with the local press maybe. Maybe more'n a little.

“Coach, you’ve had great success this year. Thoughts on that?”

“Well, the guys have responded real well ta what we’ve tried ta teach ‘em. I got a great staff an’ the credit goes ta them, an’ again ta the players who been workin’ so hard.”

“What have you liked most about being here at Auburn?”

“It’s a great place. Terrific university, great community. We been made to feel welcome right from the start. That “Southern hospitality" thing we always heard about? We’ve definitely experienced it right from the start.”

“How about the other side. Any disappointments?”

“Nope. None at all. On’y thing we don’t like is the weather. We ain’t used ta the heat an’ ta be honest, that’s a struggle. I’m a runner an’ even at dawn it’s too dang hot ta run, at least comfortably. I run anyway but whew!”

“So we can assume you’ll be out of here as soon as possible?”

“Now why in h*ll would you assume that! I didn’t say nothin’ like that. This has been great so far an’ we like it. We’ll deal with the weather. Can’t believe you said that, tell ya the truth, an’ it jus’ ain’t so. We never ever had a conversation about anythin’ but our future here an’ I hope that’s what you’ll quote!”

A course what got emphasized was “Coach Jones hates Auburn weather, probably won’t stay long.” That’s the press. Shoulda known better.

7-16, 2-10 Tennessee is here. They have decent outside game but not much inside. Lost their last 5, 10 of 11. This is no place for a slip up.

Feb. 15: 70-64. Well, it’s a win. We were pretty awful tonight but they just don’t have many weapons. We shot on’y 32.6%. 10 TOs, +17 RB.

10-5, 6-7 LSU is in. We won by 14 there. They have a good outside game but we feel like we can pressure them an’ turn ‘em over.

Feb. 18: 87-75. We were better on O tonight but the D was not what I want. They hit 16 threes cuz we jus’ didn’t get out on the shooters. 32, 4 for Al Carr was the diff, an’ Al has been that often. Front line all hit double figgers an’ got boards, +14. 11 TOs, 11 assists for Hart.

Last two are against ranked teams, one road, one home. We gotta at least split. Still the log jam with three of us one back a KY. Nobody close behind us though so we’ll finish 4th or better.

21-5, 11-3, #17, RPI #9.

At #19, 21-6, 11-3 Alabama. We won by 8 at home in a battle. Their SF lit us up. They’re 9-1 in the last 10. This won’t be easy.

Feb. 22: 58-65. We never led. Down as many as 16 early an’ never quite caught up. Ya gotta play D an’ we on’y did that in the 2nd half. Outside shooters got way too many open looks in the 1st. Not happy about that. 16 for Carr, 13, 9 for More, 8, 5 for Penn from the bench.

KY an’ Ark. Lost too. So 4 teams within a game of each other with one ta play.

18-9, 9-6 Missouri is in to close out the reg’lar season. They beat us by 8 there. 10 guys scored for them. They’re strong inside an’ we can’t let ‘em beat us inside. We’re goin’ after the PG, keepin’ pressure on. We didn’t do enough a that las’ time.

This is a MUST win.

Feb. 25: 71-56. We were up pretty much all the way. 27, 10, 2 for More, 19, 3, 2 for Carr. +11 RB but 18 TOs.

Ark. lost so we end up 3rd.

And we’re in the post season. Lucy won’t travel with us this year. She’s still feelin’ fine but the store keeps her busy an’ the one thing we don’t want is for her to push an; get overtired.

22-6, 12-4, #18, RPI #12.

We get Tennessee in the round of eight. They pulled an upset. We beat them by only six on an off night. I want focus and energy and a big win this time. It’s March!

March 8: 72-71. And I got a one point win- barely! Survive and advance. We were sloppy, 19 TOs, and didn’t get out on the three- they hit 12. We won on the boards, +17. But we won’t win again if we play like this. 23, 6, 1 for Nick Penn from the bench, 12, 15 for More.

It’s #10, 23-5 Kentucky in the semis. They slid to second by losing their last regular season game so we play the best team in conf. In the semis. We beat them by 2 at our place in one of our best games of the year. We’ll need ta be that good again this time. We need ta take care a the ball. Last time we were -15 on the boards. We prob’ly can’t match them there but it needs ta be single digits.

March 9: 61-72. Not tanight. They got the first 12 an’ we were never in it. They simply overpowered us. We matched them in all of the stats category but we shot 29%, they shot 45.5%. Our poor shooting was due to great D by them. They were bigger and quicker. 21, 2, 2 for Carr, 12, 9, 1 for More, 8, 7 for Hill, 16, 2 for Penn, who is getting more time since he’s earned it. It’s no disgrace to get beat by a better team. We worked hard tonight an’ I did not get down on the guys. We can make some noise at the Dance.

So now we wait.

Lucy is showing. It’s cute at this stage an’ she likes it as much as I do. She’s still feeling good. No morning sickness, no problems.

Missouri beat KY for the title.

March 12: Here we go! Not in the East. Not in the Midwest. Not in the South. #4 West. I’ll take it! WE play #13 New Rochelle, 19-11. Peoria is also in the West but we’d both need to get to the round of eight to meet.

New Rochelle, 19-11, looks good in the tapes but they really haven’t faced the level of competition we have.

March 17: 74-61. We led all the way but they never quit. Well coached team. 19, 5, 4 for Carr, 19, 5 for Penn, 10, 10 for More, 10, 9, 8 for Hart. 14 TOs, +11 RB.

KY upset in the 2nd round. Bama too.

We play Missouri next. Hm. Shouldn’t play a conf. rival this early. Lost by 8, then won by 15 at home. We won the inside game last time and will need to again.

March 19: 97-83, OT. After a 40 minute battle we dominated OT. This was a foul fest with three idiots blowing whistles all night long, 50 of ‘em, never allowing any flow to develop. More, 29, 12, 2 an’ Carr, 31, 1, 4 kep’ us in it, an’ eventually won it for us. I got T’d up an’ the Missouri coach did too. 69 free throws taken. Ridiculous. Both coaches ranted a bit at the postgame press conference. We’ll get fined, the NCAA will do what they do best, ignore the whole thing. Survive and advance.

#1 seed, #7 ranked, 29-4 Temple in the Sweet Sixteen. Very good outside, not bad inside. 16-1 in last 17. Score mostly outside. They don’t RB all that well except for one guy. But we have problems getting out on the shooter. We need ta do that in this game, an’ we can’t let their PG do what he wants ta do.

March 24: 87-82. Big win! 4 TOs- for the GAME! +3 RB, we committed 9 less fouls. They hit a lotta threes- 16-32, but most of ‘em were in the 1st half, when they went up by 12, still up 5 at the half. We shut off the three in the 2nd (3-8), an’ that made the diff. We pounded it in ta More, then got open looks for Carr an’ Hart, an’ those three guys got it done, 21, 9 for More, 20, 3 for Carr, 16, 3 for Hart.Hill had 13, 4 from the bench.

NEVER thought we’d hit the Elite Eight this year!

#2 seed, #5 ranked Louisville, 30-5, in the rounds of eight. On paper they’re way better, and they do most everything well. We need to hold our own inside, disrupt, disrupt, disrupt, find the open man, work it inside, work it outside.

March 26: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 84-75, Final Four. UNBELIEVABLE! Very close for 35 minutes, just back an’ forth, nobody really takin’ control. Then John Hart found Nick Penn on three straight backdoor cuts. We got stops after each one and Louisville didn’t stop it until the fourth try and when John saw that he found Al Carr in the spot the defender had vacated, got it to him and watched him drain a three. 9-0 run, 11 point lead, bye bye Louisville. 27 for Penn, 23, 4 for Carr, on’y 4 for More but 10 RBs, 4, 4, 6 for Hart, 1 TO, 15,1, 3 for Evans, 8, 4, 1 for Hill. Dancin’ on air!

The publicity has been unbelievable. Getting’ ta the Final Four in our first year here is insane an’ I am bein’ treated like a Civil War General- Confederate.

(Author\'s Note: No explanation. I did not edit any players in Commish mode. I did no do overs.

At the start I saw my team and thought, \"Middle of the pack, with luck.\" As the season progressed I made changes to the line up. They ALL worked and worked well. But getting this far? Never in a million years. Maybe just one of those unlikely, magical runs, like UConn in both 2011 and this year. A team that simply caught fire.)

We’ll play Michigan State, 31-3, #4 ranked, #5 RPI. Really, really good back court. I think we may be slightly better than them inside. We will need ta control the inside game an’ the boards. We’ll try to pressure the PG, jus’ ta disrupt, no more’n that, but if he’s too quick we’ll back off.

Again, Lucy is not with us, can’t be really, but I sure wish she was.

April 1: 87-85 OT an’ I am numb. They went up 9 early, up 6 at the half but we were definitely in it, very competitive. We were even in RBs turnin’ it over a little too much. Didn’t want to change much though, an’ we didn’t.

I thought we could compete, an’ we DID! We finally caught ‘em with 4:44 lef’ an’ it was back an’ forth after that, with More getting’ an 8 footer to send it to OT.

By this point their startin’ back court had fouled out playin’ 38 an’ 30 min., an’ ours had too, playin’ 36 an’ 35 min. Without Carr I figgered we were dead, but it all evened out an’ it was back an' forth for 5 more min.

Finally, 85-85, they had the ball, with 15 left. I had Evans on the Point, nobody else ta put there, an’ he got a step in steal with 4 seconds left, threw it ahead ta Nick Penn who laid it in with .4 left, an’ that was that.

Officials were horrible, 81 free throws taken. 24, 2, 5 for Carr, 16, 9 for More, 13, 11 for Penn.

An’ we get ta play for the title! An’ Lucy is flyin’ in for the game! Says she jus’ can’t miss this. #2 ranked, #2 RPI, 33-4 Kansas.

They beat us by 14 in the second game a the season at the Coaches Classic. We had too many TOs an’ allowed too many threes. BUT, Carr was not startin’ then, an’ we hadn’t come close ta jellin’ as a team.

They definitely have a much better back court. We can at least hold our own inside. Their bench is longer. But every now an’ then they were upset by teams that we could beat. They are a 7 point favorite, which is HUGE in this kind of game. I think we have a shot if we play hard, smart hoops an’ if we get out on the shooter- that is VITAL!

April 3: The dream comes true, an’ it isn’t close: 80-66. We took control right away. Carr made three threes in the first couple minutes, they got on him, we went inside ta Nick Penn cuz they expected it ta be More. We spread the scorin’ aroun’ moved the ball with precision, didn’t turn it over (12 for the game), an’ we got on the shooters. We controlled the boards well enough (+6). And we simply refused ta lose, or even ta let them get closer than a half dozen or so. Jus’ beat back ev’ry run they made before it got dangerous.

This was the best game we played all year, from start ta finish, at the most crucial time. Al Carr was MOP, as he should have been, 26, an’ he shut down their SG (5 pts.).

I am floating on air. You cannot know what it’s like ta cut down the nets unless ya do it. Unbelievable. Nobody picked us- nobody. Hell, I wouldn’t a picked us. But somewhere along about the Sweet Sixteen it started ta feel special. The staff discussed that we were really goin’ good an’ that it felt like some really good things could happen. They sure did!!

Oh, there’s not a senior on this team- not even a walk on senior.

4/4: Back home. Awards: Al Carr got Tourney MOP, as I said. In conf., Colin More, Freshman OY. I got the coach award. 1st team: Al Carr, Colin More.

April 9: Would I move? To UConn, Michigan State, someplace like that? Hell yeah! Otherwise no.

Jumped all the way ta Team Prestige 75. Wow!

No interestin’ offers. Good!

April 23: Lookin’ for budget dollars. Got ‘em. $13,000.

My numbers: 114-27, .809. Off.- 34, Def.- 47, Rceruit- 95, Scout- 90,

Player Development- 43, Reputation- 65.

Unbelievable year. National champs. Wow!

May 1: Didn’t have scholarship ta offer John Hart, our walk on PG, so he left. He got one at Georgetown. I waived the year delay and he’ll play this year for ‘em. I wish him all the best.

Lucy is huge but seems well, says she’s doin’ fine. Doc says another month or maybe five weeks.

On’y three scholarships, one possible transfer. We buy National Gold, International Basic. Leaves us with $35,000.

May 29: It’s a girl! Felt myself being shaken at about 2:15 a.m. today.

“We need to go to the hospital, Mack.”

Wow! I was typic’ly male an’ panicked. Lucy calmed me down. We went. I was going to be in there with her so I got gowned an’ all. They led me in, an’ within’ like ten minutes, Mandy Lucille Jones had made her appearance. I wasn’t even used to the idea that this was happening an’ it happened.

“Hey beautiful, it ain’t s’posed ta be this easy.”

“Pretty lucky. One big ouch and it was over. Isn’t she beautiful!”

“She most definitely is that! I got goose bumps.”

“Me too.”

We took Mandy home the next day an’ she’s doin’ a great job a runnin’ our lives. Great pair a lungs. Tail is NOT happy with the noise. Looks at Lucy an’ me like we should do something about this.

June 5: Lookin’ at transfers. Nothing there. Moving on.

June 26: As I said, three ta give. 2 an’ 1, either way.

Lookin’ at 20. Never bad ta cast a wide net.

June 29: Mandy’s a month old. Strangely she ain’t walkin’ or talkin’ yet. Squawkin’ though, definitely squawkin’! An’ Tail is less happy all the time.

July 29: Man! Two months already. She’s reacting to us now, startin’ ta be fun.

Looking at 20 still, all top 40 guys an’ ev’ry one has at least some interest in us.

Aug. 7: Stew Buck, SG, is #36 on the Norton list. Jed Lean, PG, is #46.

Aug. 21: We offer ta 3 guys, a PG, an SG, a PF.

Aug. 29: And at three months Mandy smiles and laughs, lights up when she sees us and is jus’ a joy! Lucy is long since back at work, takin’ Mandy with her a course. I have lunch with them ev’ry day that I can which is about ev’ry day. It won't be ev'ry day once the season starts so enjoyin' it while I can.

Sept. 11: We visit our three plus one other recruit.

Sept. 18: Got all three. #3 Nick Hesk, SG, #5, Brad Marr, PF, #16, Al Fort, PG. All three are very good students who should not have a problem hitting our SAT score.

We’ll be at the Sunshine Shootout in Dec. Tougher sched. than last year.

Sept. 29: Mandy hits four months. Doing more ev’ry day. An’ more fun ev’ry day.

Oct. 2: First day a practice. We look real strong.

Picked 2nd in conf., just behind KY, #15 in the nation.

Oct. 29: Mandy is “talking”. Making all kinds of gibberish sounds as if she was telling us things. Funny as h*ll.

Nov. 7: Exhibition games.

Big problem. I have ten guys who should start. Distributing minutes is going to be impossible. We’re pondering.

Well, we came up with a lineup. More sub minutes than usual and I wish there were room for still more. Two Norton candidates, Jed Lean at PG, Stew Buck at SF. I HAD to start Al Carr at SG so Stew moved to SF. Joe Sand looked awesome so he’s at PF, and Colin More needed to be at C after what he did last year. Three subs, Dan Wall at guard looks really, really good. Don Evans at SF and PF, too good to sit but they only let me put 5 on the court. Ian White at PF, C, would start for most teams. We are powerful. Nick Penn and B. J. Bell should get minutes, but none left to give them.

We begin at North Carolina State. They play 3-2 and on paper we’re better. Let’s see!

Nov. 16: 73-56. 19, 1, 7 for Jed Lean who “took charge”, and was a force on both ends. Very impressive game. 12, 11 for More, 10, 2, 2 for Dan Wall, our PG from the bench. 8, 9 for Joe Sand at PF. 10 TOs, +7 RBs.

Memphis is here for their season debut. They play man.

Nov. 19: 80-51. No contest. 14, 6,6 for Lean who really is impressive. 15 each for Buck and Sand. 14, 5 for White, our big guy on the bench, 7, 8 for backup guard, Wall. 14 TOs, +26 RB(!).

Our three recruits came in and signed. #19.

At 4-0, #15 Toledo. They won the Hawaiian Shootout against some decent teams and one good one. All 5 starters average double figures. This should be our first challenge. We need to play.

Nov. 23: 67-71. We didn’t play our game tanight. Because we didn’t or because they didn’t let us? We’ll be lookin’ at the game a bunch a times ta figger that out. What is really easy to see is the poor D. We let ‘em shoot 52.2% an’ that’s unacceptable. Their guards lit it up, both of ‘em, an’ they got it in to their C who nailed us too. So I guess we already know what we need ta work on. Didn’t help that Lean fouled out in 28 min.

At 1-2 Utah. Could be another challenge. They are solid at 2, 4. We think we’re better at 1, 3, 5. They play man.

Nov. 26: 70-63. We led mosta the way but they kept getting’ back inta it. 18 TOs, not good. +16 RBs, very good. 21, 16, 3 for More.

Nov. 29. She’s 6 months old today, sayin’ quite a few words, crawlin’ ev’rywhere, makin’ Tail find good hidin’ places. Makin’ sure we put ev’rythin’ outta reach. My habit a just droppin’ things wherever- that’s gone.

Kansas State, 0-2, is in. It looks like a mismatch.

Nov. 30: Yeah, I’d call 81-31 a mismatch. Not pretty! 4 TOs, 10 guys had great games.

Stew Buck hurt a knee but it’s just a bump. Day to day and may not even miss a game.

Dec. 1: “Remember that time a while ago when I told you I was pregnant?”

“Never forget it! Look how it turned out!”

“Oh good. I’m glad you feel that way.”

“I do
 Um
”

“Yep.”

Another baby! They’re thinkin’ June, which is what they thought last time when they on’y missed by a couple days. Ev’rybody’s askin’ do we want a boy. Well, yeah, I guess. It would be nice ta have one of each, an’ given my age this should really be the last baby. But honestly? It don’t matter a bit ta me. Lucy either from what she says. We’re pretty happy with our little girl.

1-4 Iowa. Off year for them.

Dec. 3: 72-49. 20, 6, 2 for More, 17, 10 for Sand. 8 TOs, 41 RBs. Remember though, Jed Lean is drivin’, an’ with one exception he’s been world class.

3-3 West Virginia is here. Another mismatch. These are not bad teams. Some are having rough years but they are all good programs.

Dec. 7: 75-38. 45-14 at the half. 7 TOs, 37 RBs. 22, 6, 3 for Al Carr. Played ten, and they all played well.

Off to the Sunshine Shootout. #2 seed. Stanford is #1. We start with 5-2 Marshall. They have some guys who can play but they haven’t played anyone.

Dec. 9: 80-70. They battled. Even led a bunch a times. Fine’ly got our act tagether late. Lean, Carr an’ More led the way. 7 TOs.

Rematch with 4-3 No. Car. ST in the semis. Beat ‘em by 17 in our opener. No reason we shouldn’t do it again as long as we play our game.

Dec. 10: 73-60. 23 for Carr, 18, 3, 7 for Lean, 11, 7 for Buck, 10 for White. 11 TOs.

Lean an’ Buck both got hurt. Minor in both cases, an arm, a wrist, they’ll play some but we play for the title with two wounded soldiers.

It’s #7, 7-1 Stanford. Very good at SG an’ C, good at the other three spots. On’y loss was ta #1 KY. Play a tight man. They RB an’ take care a the ball. With two banged up we gotta be about perfect ta have a shot. Very little margin for error.

Dec. 11: 76-90. Not tonight. Jed really couldn’t go much, an’ Buck not a lot better. Hey, ya play the guys ya got, no excuses. They were better. 20, 5 for Carr, 18, 8 for More. But 21 TOs- ouch! There will be better days.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this