PointGuard

Who's Bret Vandergard and what's he done for us lately? [DDSCB3]

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director

(Aggravated that he’s heard nothing about the investigation of the break-in of his office, Swede calls Chief of Police Herschel Rozniak)

SO: Is this Chief Rozniak?

HR: Yes, who am I speaking to?

SO: This is Swede Olaffsen, the athletic director at EWU. I wanted to find out how the investigation of the break-in and ransacking of my office was going?

HR: Ohhhhh, thaaaat. You can rest assured that MY police department is doing the best job possible on that.

SO: Do you have any solid leads yet?

HR: Of course I can’t give you any details about our on-going investigation. But don’t worry, we’re on top of it. Of course, you know we have other important matters, and a break-in can’t be given the highest priority. And investigations just have to unravel at their own pace.

SO: But you know it just wasn’t a break-in. A college security officer was injured.

HR: Yeah, I know that. I AM the Chief of Police, you know. But you’ve got to admit that athletic department seems to be a magnet for trouble lately. I hope that our investigation doesn’t lead to something embarrassing for you and the college. But, hey, just don’t worry about this. MY department can be trusted to get to the bottom of things. I’ve got to get going now. I have a golf game, err, I mean a tough dame to uhhhh, interview, yeah that’s it, interview, uhhh, for another case. We’ll call you when this is all resolved. You know it’s best just to let us do our job. (Hangs up)

Outside of Meaghan Kriley's home

As Meaghan leaves for the office this morning she finds a not under her windshield wiper with a single word: "Consequences"

[Copied from post by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forum]

Hallways of Athletic Building

Swede arrives at work to find Bernie Miller at the top of a ladder. 

TO: What's going on, Bernie?
BM: Hi, Mr. Olafsen. Good news. The university finally gave me the green light to purchase and install a top of the line surveillance system on campus. We should have the while thing up and running by the end of the week. Once everything is up and running I'll assign on of my people to monitor the control center 24/7
TO: That's great!
BM: Yes. Incidentally, a little bird told me that you had a conversation with Chief Rozniak recently. He wasn't much help was he?
TO: No, he wasn't/
BM: Don't expect much satisfaction out him in the future either. Confidentially, Rozniak is less competent to run the department than Sgt. Sparky. I know that may sound like sour grapes, but the fact is that most of the good people on the force were either sent packing after the shake-up, or left on their own out of disgust. There are still a small handful of good people on the force, especially my old partner, Det. Tom Gordon. You ever need to talk to someone on the force, Tom's your man. Just tell him I sent ya. Sgt. Sparky is a top notch officer as well, but he's not much of a conversationalist unless you've got a bowl of kibbles and bits.
TO: I'll keep that in mind.
BM: um...now for the bad news...
TO: What now?
BM; Late last night an alarm went off in this building. Turned out to be the window alarm in Coach V's office. I ivestigated it myself. The window was left open, but nothing seemed amiss in the office. Probably the alarm scared off the perp. The quicker we get all this surveillance equipment in place the better. A couple of guys on the force took jobs with the Campus Police after the shakedown. One of them is a friend of mine and assured me that patrols will be doubled on the grounds outside this building in the near future. Meanwhile, I'm continuing to maintain double coverage on the inside of this building until we get the system installed. I'm taking some heat from Morgan's lackeys about all the overtime, but I refuse to back down.

[Copied from post by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forums]

Dec 22: Spokane Sentinel

Reporter Busted On Felony Drug Charges

During a routine traffic stop in Cheney late last night, Spokesman Review columnist Meaghan Kriley was arrested for possession of several grams of crack cocaine and assorted drug paraphernalia.

[Copies from post by CoachC in Wolverine Studios forum]

Meaghan Kriley, Spokane Spokesman-Review Columnist

(Phone call with Bret Vandergard)

BV: Oh, I’d glad I was able to get ahold of you. I was worried about you.

MK: Thanks, Bret. I was booked but released so I wasn’t at the police station long actually. But the whole thing is sooooo embarrassing.

BV: What’s going on?

MK: I’m not sure. First there was this note on my car with just the word “Consequences” and then this arrest. You do know that this is all BS, right? I’d never do coke. And I’ve hired a good attorney.

BV: Yes, I’m sure you wouldn’t. “Consequences”?

MK: Yeah, that’s all that was on it.

BV: Hmmmm...strange. I’ve had that word used against me and I’ve heard of others against whom it has either been unttered or written.

MK: Really? And who used it against you?

BV: I’ve not wanted to think the worst about her, but it was Christine Rozniak. 

MK: That bitch! Everything I know about her and have heard seems to be true. And I’m pretty sure the things I’ve found out about her during my investigations have been correct as well. She doesn’t care who she hurts and only wants one thing...to get her way completely.

BV: Meaghan, I know it’s your job to do investigative reporting, but please be careful. 

MK: Oh don’t worry about me. My editor brought by his big doberman to take care of for a while. I dog sat him before so he knows and likes me. My editor said no one will do anything to me while “Butch” is around.

BV: So that means I better be good, huh?

MK: I’m the one who will decide how “good” you are, not Butch.

Corky Branigan, KSPK,Radio Commentator:

CB: Coach, thanks for stopping by today. Let me fire right away. Did your team perform to your expectations during pre-conference play?

BV: Offensively, the guys performed better than I expected. They shot the lights out most games. Defensively it’s just the opposite though. We had a tough time stopping many of the teams. Midway through our pre-conference schedule, we increased the amount of time we devote in practice to our defenses, but the results are not yet showing, so obviously we have a lot of work to do.

CB: Which player’s surprised you the most thus far?

BV: Obviously, the name at the top of that list is Danya Lawson. We liked what we saw in him as we scouted him in high school, but we really didn’t expect him to give us this much this early. But our other freshman, Byron Crawford, also has shown he has a lot of offensive potential. Both need to work on their defense and consistency though. Our incoming JC transfers, Colin Goode and Darryl Bailey, also gave us a good offensive infusion. It was a downer to lose Colin with his injury though. But the core of the team still remains our returning players, all of whom have improved their play from last year.

CB: Coach, you finished atop the Big Sky standings last year, so it sounds like you’re predicting a repeat this season. 

BV: Corky, I’m not predicting anything. Each year we see Big Sky teams that perform well in pre-conference play and then fall on their faces during conference play and then a couple teams that don’t show much before conference games begin and then come on strong. So we have to just keep our noses to the grindstone, continue to work hard and improve, and be sure to take each and every Big Sky team seriously. And as you can see from how Goode went down, the unexpected can slap you in the face at any time. We can’t afford any more serious injuries.

CB: Which teams do you expect to give you the most trouble in the Big Sky?

BV: I wish I could give you a good answer to that question. Obviously Idaho State has the best pre-conference record of any team in the Big Sky. They’re led by senior SG Matt Vaughn, who was 2nd team all –conference 2 years ago, then 1st team all-conference last season. And he’s playing even better this year. With PF Odie Garrett teaming with him the Bengals are mighty strong outside. Montana State has surprised a lot of people thus far and they have a dynamic duo with SG Wesley Akins averaging nearly 17 ppg and SF Dwayne Vines right behind with nearly 16 ppg. Akins didn’t do much as a freshman last season but he’s really developed his game and Vines has been an amazing freshman addition for the Bobcats. But like I said earlier, we’re just going to have to see who comes to play when conference play kicks off.

CB: I hate to bring this up, but word is that Danya Lawson isn’t making many friends with his teammates. What’s the story, Coach?

BV: I think what you’re hearing is overblown, Corky. Overall team chemistry is pretty good. We always try to keep tabs on attitudes and issues. Danya is new to the team so, even though he’s been playing well, he needs to gain the respect of the rest of the team both on and off the court, but I think things will work out just fine. 

CB: Coach I hope you’ll be back to take some questions from the fans a little later in the season.

BV: Of course, Corky.

Mike Jackson, Player’s parent

Game #12, Dec. 27, 2015: North Dakota Fightin’ Sioux (6-5, 0-0) at Eastern Washington Eagles (7-4, 0-0)

It’s good to see conference play finally starting. Shawn feels the team is ready to take on all comers this season. I think they’d be more prepared if Vandergard would play Shawn more and set up more plays to free Shawn for some shots. Shawn has been shooting particularly well this season. Vandergard needs to make him the go-to guy.

North Dakota beat #19 Wisconsin in the last game of the pre-conference so it’s obvious they can’t be taken lightly. Shawn says there is no one standout player, so they’ll only key on any single North Dakota player if one gets hot.
Vandergard has a surprise starter tonight with freshman Byron Crawford starting at PF.

Shawn put the first points on the board with a driving dunk off a steal, then after North Dakota scored 4 straight points, Shawn hit a beautiful 3 to put us up 5-4. The Eagles maintained a small lead and then opened a 10 point lead at 22-12 with about 8 minutes left in the first half as their defense tightened and they out-rebounded the Fightin’ Sioux. The Eagles then spurted out to a 42-21 halftime advantage. They controlled the boards 18-12, had a 10-4 turnover advantage, and held North Dakota’s shooting to 37%. Shawn scored 5 and has 2 assists. Danya Lawson led EWU’s scoring with 12 points, but 6 of those came from the line.

The Eagles scored the first 9 points of the 2nd half to expand their lead to 30 points. The lead never shrunk below 20 points after that as the Eagles won with ease. 

While Shawn wasn’t high point man, he did score 12 points, hitting 5 of 9 shots from the field, including 2 of 4 from 3 point range. EWU out-rebounded the Fightin’ Sioux 27-21 and had just 9 turnovers to North Dakota’s 17.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (8-4, 1-0, tied for 1st place)—76, North Dakota—53.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF/SG Danya Lawson-15 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 4 steals; SG Shawn Jackson-12 pts, 2 assists, 1 steal; PF Byron Crawford-9 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist; C Cory Davis-8 pts, 4 reb, 1 block.

Player of the Game: SF/SG Danya Lawson-15 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 4 steals.

Late news: Danya Lawson picked up another Freshman Player of the Week award for the Big Sky Conference.

Lieutenant Governor Boswell Havrisham

(Barging into Governor Steven Ingraham’s office)

SI: Boz! I didn’t see you on my appointment calendar.

BH: What the hell is going on? I made a personal plea to you to appoint Christine Rozniak to the vacant seat in the House of Representatives. And I just got a blistering call from her telling me you had appointed Consuelo Gutierrez instead.

SI: Cool down Boz. I made no promise to you. And I recall telling you I was very uncomfortable even considering that Rozniak woman for the position. Besides, Consuelo has done a fantastic job in the state legislature, has an impeccable record, and helps us with the Hispanic vote in next year’s election.

BH: I don’t want to hear logic or politics dammit. Christine is blazing mad and she can cause us all sorts of problems. 

SI: Come on Boz. We’re both big boys. And besides, haven’t you been following what Rozniak’s been doing in Cheney with her witch hunt and her “Clean up Cheney” committee? She’s beginning to make Senator Joseph McCarthy look like a minor leaguer. There’s no way I’m going to be associated with anything like that. Case closed!

(Havrisham slowly departs the office with a very worried look on his face, slumped over, shaking his head and muttering to himself.)

Colin Goode, player

Game #13, Jan. 3, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (8-4, 1-0) at Sacramento State Hornets (6-6, 0-1)

Not suiting up and sitting on the far end of the bench sucks. And to think this is going to be my fate for the next 2 months. Tonight Coach V has Brian Dearman starting at PF with Cory Davis at C.

We jumped out to a 21-8 lead with 10:32 to play in the 1st half as we hit our shots and played some solid defense. By the end of the half we up 38-19. We held the Hornets shooting to 30% and forced them to make 11 turnovers. Danya Lawson was out top scorer with 8 points.

We held a solid lead throughout the 2nd half and won with ease. The biggest statistical difference in the game was a 21-8 advantage in turnovers.

Final Score: Eastern Washngton (9-4, 2-0, 1st place tie)—72, Sacramento State-57.

Leading Players for Eastern Washington: SG/SF Danya Lawson-18 pts, 1 reb, 3 assists, 5 steals; PG Darryl Bailey-10 pts, 2 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal.

Player of the Game: SG/SF Danya Lawson-18 pts, 1 reb, 3 assists, 5 steals.

Clement Morgan, University President and Jamal Smith, 1st Asst Coach

Game #14, Jan. 6, 2016: Idaho Vandals (4-9, 0-2) at Eastern Washington Eagles (9-4, 2-0)

CM: The day before this game, I received an unusual piece of mail at my office from an anonymous source. It was a professional looking invitation to the men’s basketball game tonight. A note at the bottom of the invitation said that it was important I attend THIS game and to watch the crowd. I don’t go to many games and decided to dismiss the invitation, but when I went home that night I found the exact same invitation in my home mail, except that an additional note was at the bottom which said “Do NOT ignore this invitation”. I thought about it throughout the night and the next day reluctantly added the game to my jammed schedule for the day.

JS: Idaho won their first 4 games this season and now has lost 9 straight. All 5 starters remain the same. 2 of the starters were starters in the 2 previous seasons and 2 of the starters played extensive minutes in previous seasons. There have been no major injuries. So why has the bottom fallen out for them? No one really knows, but it appears that no player has stepped up to take a real leadership role on the team. But as they say “Let sleeping dogs lie”, so our job tonight is to get the job done without arousing them from their slumber.

CM: In order avoid wasting 2 hours completely, I invite Jack Moriarity, our University Provost, to attend the game with me. That way we can discuss academic issues during the game.

JS: We’re struggling with who to start inside with Colin Goode out of action for an extended period. Coach V decides to go with freshman Byron Crawford at PF again. He’s also giving Danya Lawson his first start. Danya will replace Joe Blackwell at SF tonight, so that will mean that 2 freshmen are in our starting lineup. Both of these kids have been slow to develop a good relationship with teammates, so maybe this will help.

The refs call 5 fouls against us in the first 3 minutes of play including 2 against Cory Davis. Coach V is incensed. 4 of our 5 big men get into foul trouble as the half progresses. Coach V resorts to playing SF Travis Dawson at the 2 position. When the last TV timeout is called, we are ahead 17-16, but both teams look bad producing a very ugly game. 

CM: I’m watching the crowd as Jack and I talk. When the 4th TV timeout occurs, I finally recognize a repetitious occurrence. During each of these long time outs, there is a fan on each side of the court holding up an obscenely bright orange sign with big black lettering. Each sign just says….”CONSEQUENCES”. I ask Jack about it and he can’t figure it out. So I have security track down each of the 4 fans to find out what their signs mean. 

JS: The half finally comes to a merciful end. The only good thing about it is that we are up 25-24. We hit 37% of our shots, Idaho hit 35%. We were called for 14 fouls, Idaho for 12. Coach V tries to pump energy into the players with his halftime talk. Substitute C Odie Joseph was the only player to step up in the first half, scoring 12 points.

CM: Jack Springfield stops by during the half and gets me to watch a weird contest where a student is brought out onto the court to try to make a ridiculously long shot for a chance to win a car from Jack’s dealership. The kid heaves the ball down court, but isn’t even close. Jack laughs and says, “This contest is getting me a ton of free publicity. This is the 7th home game and none of your students has gotten remotely close to sinking it and winning the car.”

JS: Several of the players on the bench have been mentioning to me the weird signs that have been raised during each TV timeout. During a stoppage on the court, I mention it to Coach V. We continue to struggle in the early going of the 2nd half, but manage to carve out a 37-32 lead with 11:15 remaining. During the ensuing TV timeout, Coach V up into the stands as the players come off the court. Upon seeing the neon-orange signs with the word “CONSEQUENCES”, he visibly blanches. His talk to the players is uncharacteristically unfocused and short. Nat Nathaniel, our 2nd assistant coach, jumps in to provide some advice to the players.

CM: Finally security returns and says they have located each of the 4 fans and interviewed them. Each one gave a similar story. They were approached and asked to show the signs throughout each of the TV timeouts and were offered free tickets, $100 cash up front, and promised an additional $250 if they displayed the signs as they were told to do. They each said they did not know the man who made the offer but that he was of medium build, was well-dressed, and had a beard, glasses and long hair. They each said, it looked like easy money and a free game for them, so why refuse.

JS: With 3:36 to play, we lead by a thin 48-46 margin. We expanded the lead to 55-49 with 56 seconds remaining. The Vandals are forced to foul and we escape with a win. We hit 40% of our shots, but Idaho was worse with just 35% shooting success. We were called for 26 fouls and Idaho went to the line 34 times, but Idaho got nicked for 23 fouls sending us to the line 29 times. Idaho had 19 turnovers to just 12 for us. Quick summarization of the game: we played badly, Idaho played worse.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (10-4, 3-0, 1st place tie)—61, Idaho-52.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Odie Joseph-14 pts, 6 reb, 1 steal; SG Shawn Jackson-9 pts, 3 reb, 3 assists, 3 steals; SG Will Davis-8 pts, 1 reb.

Player of the Game: C Odie Joseph-14 pts, 6 reb, 1 steal.

Injury Report: Colin Goode’s broken arm is healing well, but the doctors still say it will be about 6 more weeks before he can play.

Side Note

(1) Our RPI is now 52nd best in the country.

(2) Danya Lawson picks up his 3rd Freshman Player of the Week Award for the Big Sky Conference.

AP news wire feed on the game

Game #15, Jan. 10, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (10-5, 3-0) at Northern Colorado Bears (6-8, 1-2)

Starters for EWU: PG 6-1 Tim Dove (7.6 ppg), SG 6-4 Shawn Jackson (8.9 ppg), SF 6-3 Joe Blackwell (6.4 ppg), 6-8 PF Brian Dearman (2.6 ppg), 6-9 C Cory Davis (8.6 ppg)

Starters for UNCO: PG 6-2 William Edwards (7.4 ppg), SG 6-5 Doylan Abraham (11.0 ppg), SF 6-7 James Grant (4.7 ppg), 6-7 PF Rashard Arthurs (6.7 ppg), 7-0 C Anthony Grizzard (8.1 ppg)

1st half, 15:21: EWU-8, UNCO-6 
1st half, 11:28: EWU-10, UNCO-8 
1st half, 7:58: EWU-17, UNCO-9
1st half, 2:45: EWU-21, UNCO-14

Halftime: EWU-26, UNCO-16 
(Team Stats: FG %: EWU30%, UNCO-21%; Reb; EWU-20, UNCO-7; TO: EWU-8, UNCO-6, Fouls: EWU-8, UNCO-11). 
Scoring: EWU: Dove-2, Jackson-5, Blackwell-4, C. Davis-5, Lawson-4, Joseph-2, W. Davis-2, Dawson-2; UNCO: Abraham-2, Arthurs-4, Grizzard-4, Claxton-3, Huld-2, Manheimer-1. 
Rebounds: EWU-Dove-4, C. Davis-4, Lawson-4; UNCO-Arthurs-4.

2nd half, 15:20: EWU-32, UNCO-21
2nd half, 9:04: EWU-39, UNCO-35
2nd half, 6:05: EWU-42, UNCO-39
2nd half, 2:36: UNCO-51, EWU-49
End of Regulation: UNCO-55, EWU-55
1st OT, 3:45: UNCO-59, EWU-55
1st OT, 1:30: EWU- 61, UNCO-61
1st OT, 0:28: EWU-63, UNCO-61
End of 1st OT: EWU-63, UNCO-63
2nd OT, 3:22: UNCO-65, EWU-65
2nd OT, 2:55: UNCO-69, EWU-65
2nd OT, 2:03: UNCO-69, EWU-65
2nd OT, 0:37: UNCO-73, EWU-65

Final Score: Northern Colorado—77, Eastern Washington (10-5, 3-1, 1st place tie)—70 (2 OT)

Leading players for Eastern Washington: C Cory Davis-13 pts, 12 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal; SG/SF Danya Lawson-11 pts, 7 reb, 1 assist; PG Tim Dove-10 pts, 6 reb, 3 assists, 2 steals; C Odie Joseph-9 pts, 10 reb, 1 assist; SG Shawn Jackson-8 pts, 1 reb, 1 steal, 1 block.

Player of the Game: Northern Colorado’s PF Rashard Arthurs-10 pts, 7 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals.

Big Sky Conference has a 5-way tie for 1st place.

Austin “Nat” Nathaniel, 2nd Asst Coach

Game #16, Jan. 13, 2016: Weber State Wildcats (5-10, 3-1) at Eastern Washington Eagles (10-5, 3-1)

After playing well on the road in our last game and holding a lead throughout most of regulation play, it was a letdown to let it get away in the 2nd overtime. It also was a waste of a great double-double (13 points and 12 rebounds) by Cory Davis. I’m hoping the team takes it as a challenge to put games away when we have the opportunity.

Weber State had a poor pre-conference record, but they played a very tough schedule.

The Wildcats smoked us early to take a 10-3 lead with 15:35 to go in the first half. We gradually worked ourselves back into the game and tied it up at 16-16 at the 8:41 mark of the 1st half. Our comeback really got our crowd worked up. With 3 minutes left in the half, our lead had increased to 30-19. We went to the locker room with a 36-28 advantage. Danya Lawson ignited our offense and scored 15 points.

We opened an 18 point lead with 15utes to play. Our lead ballooned to 31 with 6 minutes to go as our both our offense and defense were clicking. With 4 minutes to go we led 74-38. Contributing to our drubbing of the Wildcats: we outshot Weber State 46% to 35%, held a 36-23 rebounding advantage, and an 18-7 turnover advantage. Plus we got a huge game from Danya Lawson that is likely to catapult him into a starting role.

Final Score: Eastern Washington (11-5, 4-1, 1st place tie)—81, Weber State-45.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SG/SF Danya Lawson-34 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal; PG Darryl Bailey-9 pts, 4 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal; C Odie Joseph-8 pts, 3 reb; SG Will Davis-7 pts, 6 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals.

Player of the Game: SG/SF Danya Lawson-34 pts, 3 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal.

For Weber State: No player scored more than 7 points.

Danya Lawson was the Big Sky Freshman Player of the Week again…his 4th weekly award and 3rd straight week to win it.

Top 10 in the National Poll

1. Duke (17-1), 2. UCLA (17-1), 3. Kentucky (16-2), 4. Oregon (17-1), 5. North Carolina (14-2), 6. Iowa (17-0), 7. Missouri (15-2), 8. Pittsburgh (13-3), 9. Florida (12-3), 10. Syracuse (13-4).

Yes it did! As usual UConn is lulling everyone to sleep so they can POUNCE come tourney time.

[Copied from post by Wayne23 in Wolverine Studios forums]

Jan 13 after the game, Parking lot outside Academic Building

Preparing to drive home, Bret finds that alll 4 of his tires have been slashed. Written in the thick dust over the trunk of the car are two words...."Wash Me!"

Also a piece of paper sticking out of the tailpipe has a slightly longer message: "Consequences .... perhaps you should resign?"

Torbern “Swede” Olaffson, Athletic Director

(Conversation in his office with Bret Vandergard)

SO: The hell you say! Somebody cut ALL of your tires? 

BV: Yes, I called AAA and they’ve loaded the car to take it to a tire dealer. They also wash cars.

SO: And two notes?

BV: Well, one wasn’t a note, but was fingered into the dirt and grime on the car and probably was done by someone who is getting tired of seeing my uncared for car. It DOES need a wash. It wasn’t you, was it? But the other was a note with the now-commonplace “Consequences”. But it also asked if maybe it wasn’t time I resigned. (Shows the note to Swede) See? You know, Swede, while I certainly don’t want to do that, I DO feel like I’ve brought down a plague upon your house and because of that, maybe it would be best.

SO: (In his best Gary Coleman impersonation)…What you talkin’ ‘bout, Bret? Damn, if it weren’t for this, what else would be going on in Cheney? A mis-delivered newspaper? I’d tell you to take this to the police, but with who the police have as a Chief now, maybe that’s not such a good idea.

BV: Yeah. But didn’t you say something about Office Miller telling you he had an old partner who was still with the Cheney Police that was trustworthy? Who was that?

SO: Ohhh, hell yeah. I forgot about that completely. Hmmm…his name??? Oh geez, I really can’t remember things. Damn! Oh wait, I do recall I wrote it down. Let’s see, where is it? (Rummages around his desk, papers being displaced, things falling off). (Picks up random scraps of paper and tosses them aside.)

BV: Ummm, Swede, you ever consider having Nancy organize things in here?

SO: Shut up, smart ass. You just attend to your X’s and O’s. (About 5 minutes later he lifts and looks under a paper tray on his desk laden with a tall stack of papers.) AHA! Here it is! Right where I put it! (handing it to Bret)

BV: Swede, you’ve got all sorts of scribbling all over this 3”X3” sticky. 

SO: (Grabbing the small yellow sticky out of Bret’s hands). Right HERE! (pointing at an almost illegible miniscule writing in one corner of the note.) Plain as the nose of your face! Let’s see….(squinting)…hmmmm….oh, it’s Tim Garden. Hmm….that doesn’t sound right. Let’s see (turning the paper slightly in his hands)…for Gods sake, it’s, uhh, it’s, it’s, it’s….TOM GORDON! I KNEW I filed it away.

BV: Yeah….rrrright! You think I should call him?

SO: No, you keep your mind on the team. I’ll call him right after you leave and tell him everything and see if he can do anything that might help. I also think I’ll give Alek Johannsen a call as well.

BV: OK, and I’ll call Corky Branigan. From what Alek was saying, it sounds like Corky is pretty good at getting to the bottom of things also. Might as well get as many “investigators” as possible trying to figure out and stop this ongoing harassment of you, me, Nancy, and Meaghan.

SO: Meaghan? You mean Ms. Kriley, don’t you Bret? (laughing)

BV: (Blushing) Ummm, errr, yes! Ms Kriley.

(They part and make their calls to Tom Gordon, Alek Johannsen, and Corky Branigan, telling each what has been going on and asking for their help and possible coordinated effort.)

Annika, Bret’s sister

(at Bret’s house)

Annika: Oh, hi Bret, glad you got home. But you’re so late.

Bret: Geez, what the heck happened in here? A hurricane? (Looking at things strewn around the house skipping over the sleeping hulk on the couch that is Annika's husband, Jimmy.)

Annika: You know Tommy! He likes to get everything out that he MIGHT like to play with and hasn’t yet learned to put ANYthing away. (laughing)

Bret: You didn’t let me get away with that when I was little, sis.

Annika: And look what happened to you…you became a basketball junky. I'm not making that mistake again. Tommy is going to be an artist.

Bret: (frowning) Yeah, I noticed the marks on the wall.

Annika; But why so late tonight?

Bret: (tells Annika about his car and the notes and his and Swede’s calls to Tom Gordon, Alek Johannsen and Corky Branigan) But the car now has 4 new tires.

Annika: (scowling) We have to get this stopped, Bret. I want to talk to those three guys also. Maybe I can help.

Bret: Sis! Come on! I don’t need you acting as my protector.

Annika: Be quiet "Bretty". I’m in and there’s nothing you can do about it, little brother. Now let me heat up some leftovers for you.

(Bret rolls his eyes and shakes his head)

This dynasty report will be written from the perspective of several individuals (rather than from the perspective of the head coach). Each of these individuals will be identified at the beginning of his/her posting for this dynasty.Initial season: 2013-2014Initial program: Eastern Washington Eagles. Team prestige--16, Big Sky Conference prestige--28, Facilities--C, Academics--C- (Min SAT of 860), Reese Court (6,000 capacity).Initial Recruiting level: Normal

Looking forward to catching up on this! Sorry for the 1 star rating ... Stars are odd on Mobile and it won't let me fix vote.

Looking forward to catching up on this! Sorry for the 1 star rating ... Stars are odd on Mobile and it won't let me fix vote.

I wuz robbed I tell ya, I was robbed!   :P

Good luck with the reading.  Hope you like it though.

Article in Easterner Online (student newspaper)

Game #17, Jan. 17, 2016: Eastern Washington Eagles (11-5, 4-1) at Montana Grizzlies (6-10, 1-4) 

Even though Montana hasn’t had all that much success this year, they shot extremely well and held a small lead over the Eagles for most of the first half. Four EWU starters got into foul trouble and spent most of the half on the bench. But late in the half, the Eagles caught fire offensively and roared past the Grizzlies to take a 48-42 halftime advantage. Danya Lawson led EWU’s scoring with 11 points, but Brian Dearman dropped in 9 points and Byron Crawford added 8.

EWU pulled away early in the half only to be reined in by the refs whose whistles nearly caught fire from being tweeted so much. By the end of the game a total of 85 fouls shots were taken by both teams. The game remained close until late when the Eagles again opened a double digit lead. The Grizzlies drilled some late 3’s as they tried to get back into the game, but EWU was able to hold them off for a good road victory.

Interviewed after the game, Coach Vandergard said, “This was a game where our young guys really came up big with Danya, Will, Byron and Darryl combining for 54 of our points.”

Final Score: Eastern Washington (12-5, 5-1, 1st place tie)—93, Montana—87.

Leading players for Eastern Washington: SF/SG Danya Lawson-21 pts, 1 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal; SG Will Davis-14 pts, 1 assist, 1 steal; PF Brian Dearman-12 pts, 5 reb, 1 steal, 1 block; Byron Crawford-10 pts, 2 reb, steals; PG Tim Dove-8 pts, 4 assists; PG Darryl Bailey-9 pts, 2 assists.
Player of the Game: SF/SG Danya Lawson-21 pts, 1 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal.

For Montana: C Jake Anderson-19 pts, 6 reb, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block; SG Joe Stewart-16 pts, 6 reb, 3 assists, 1 block; SF Robert Colter-14 pts, 4 reb, 1 assist, 2 steals.

Injury Report: C Cory Davis is nursing a sore back which may limit his play in the next game.

Swede's return calls:

Tom Gordon. Mr. Olaffsen, I spoke to Bermie, and even though the university hasn't yet allowed him to set up surveillance on the campus grounds, he was able to find out from a friend of ours on the campus police force that a long time campus officer saw former coach Dawes Johnson on campus grounds the night your tires were slashed and even spoke to him. Understandably, he had no idea that the Colorado State Police have had a warrant out for the arrest of Johnson stemming from the incident last year. I've arranged for an APB with alll Spokane County law enforcement agencies that he is to be brought in for questioning as a person of interest if spotted. The EWU campus police department has been made aware of this as well.

Corky Brannigan: I've always believed that Tony Carpelli was not the brains behind the events of last year, mainly because he isn't that smart. Agent Molinari was of course working undercover with Carpelli in the blackmail attempt I endured last year, and sources tell me that Sol Molinari is still working the case. I want to get to the bottom of all this as much as you do, and I promise you I will let you know of any information I can turn up.

Alec Johannsen:
I believe that the Carpelli crime family is still heavily involved in your troubles. Whatever accomplice Tony Carpelli had in the death of Bud Springfield, Jr. is most probably still active in your area, but Carpelli has refused to name names. If you wish to h.ire me again, I think my first step would be to pay a visit to Tony Carpelli in federal prison and see if I can use my special interrogation techniques to loosen his tongue and see if I can learn something new that the Feds missed. By the way, please give my warm regards to Ms. Parker.

Jan 18: EWU Athletic Offices

When Swede shows up at his office, for the first time in 5 years. Nancy Parker has not arrived before him. Calls to her cell phone go straight to voice mail.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now