MattBerserkers

Cage trash talk

can’t buy a win this season. I expect to at least make the playoffs with my current roster. My guys can’t score to save their lives. Hoping for a better second half this season. Oh well! I will be extatique when my team starts winning more games. :)

Edited by Yann Rock

11 hours ago, StevieY said:

I'll take a guess at it...the Alligators.

LOL.  what gave it away... the solid penalty killing?

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

9 hours ago, Paul T said:

LOL.  what gave it away... the solid penalty killing?

Well, you do have a goalie who occasionally plays like a cross between Limburger and Swiss cheese 😂😁

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, StevieY said:

Well, you do have a goalie who occasionally plays like a cross between Limburger and Swiss cheese 😂😁

LOL!  I played my 83 OVR backup who hadn’t lost in regulation all season. Now 9-1-3. And he (computer) countered with his 78 OVR affiliate goalie. Another point of note - they tied the game on a SHG and the GWG was scored by a 78 OVR player with no offensive skills. It was a tough one for sure. 

Edited by Paul T

3 hours ago, Paul T said:

LOL!  I played my 83 OVR backup who hadn’t lost in regulation all season. Now 9-1-3. And he (computer) countered with his 78 OVR affiliate goalie. Another point of note - they tied the game on a SHG and the GWG was scored by a 78 OVR player with no offensive skills. It was a tough one for sure. 

Yeah, I am still waiting for Anders to reply to any of those things... to at least offer some explanation.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:35 AM, Peekaboo said:

Yeah, I am still waiting for Anders to reply to any of those things... to at least offer some explanation.

Well, it all goes back to it being chance based.  Those types of games make you want to jam your keyboard through your monitor, but they just happen.

Last month the Red Wings beat the Bruins 3-1. 

Bruins have 98 points to lead the East, while the Red Wings have 37 and are in last place by a mile.  They are actually 1st and last in the entire league for that matter.  The goal differential for the two teams is +53 and -120.  The Bruins out-shot them 40-19 in that game.

I'm hoping the Wings new GM will turn the team around and return them to the team they used to be.  He should be able to do it 😀

I'm fine with the luck and chance part of the game, usually.  I mean, if the "better" team won every time, then why play the season, just give the trophy to the team that looks best on paper.  

BUT, I do wish there was a little more insight into the streaks, both teams and players.  Yes, I know it must be built into the sim to recreate real teams ups and downs during a season, but sometimes that ride down seems to go on forever and nothing can stop it.  Knowing what those brakes are could be nice.  I've found that teams get stale, winning or losing, and some minor changes are enough to bring the team back to .500.  

On 3/7/2020 at 5:33 PM, StevieY said:

I'm hoping the Wings new GM will turn the team around and return them to the team they used to be.  He should be able to do it 😀

I’m hoping Tuukka Rask has a huge development in his Reflexes attribute between now and playoffs. 😃

75 Reflexes

99 Positioning

90 Athletic

22 Spirit

12 hours ago, StevieY said:

If I were Tuukka Rask, I'd work a lot more on my Spirit.

Guess he didn't learn anything from Tim Thomas. 

16 minutes ago, Steve said:

Guess he didn't learn anything from Tim Thomas. 

His performance in 2011 also factors into my unfair criticism of Rask.  Specifically in big games.  I don't pin Boston's losses on Rask (or maybe I do... who knows), but he can't elevate his game to win them.  Thomas did.

I would argue he does and he is quietly the best goalie in the world currently but what do I know I guess.

Look at his career stats, both regular season and playoffs. Regular season wise he currently has the 2nd best career save percentage all time behind only Dominik Hasek with an amazing .922. That is if you ignore the career stats of Chris Driedger, Igor Shesterkin (who I think is the modern Dominik Hasek), Andrew Hammond, Calvin Petersen, Pavel Francouz and Elvis Merzlikins. With over 500 games played that isn't by accident.

Playoffs wise he is 12th best if you limit it to goalies that have played in at least 10 games with a .927 save percentage in 89 career playoff games. The 11 goalies in front of him? Manny Fernandez (11 games), Olaf Kolzig (45 games), Tomas Vokoun (22 games), Braden Holtby (89 games), Ben Bishop (49 games), Craig Anderson (46 games), Jonas Hiller (33 games), Cory Schneider (14 games), Tim Thomas (51 games), Robin Lehner (10 games) and Mike Smith (24 games).

If I may say, you are almost sounding like a Leafs fan at the current moment with their doom and gloom statements about their team and how their players are overpaid and thus bad. I never thought that the Leafs were a cup contender coming into this year. How could they be when they got significantly worse as a team? Their team D got much worse and their offensive depth got worse too. They are complaining about Matthews and Marner being overpaid when those two have been two of the best players all season for the team. I see the current Leafs team the exact same way as I saw the Caps in the early Ovechkin era. They even have similar team composition problems in general. The biggest difference is that the Caps didn't spend a massive chunk of cap on 4 players. Them overpaying Nylander and arguably Marner wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't signed Tavaras. It isn't that Tavaras is a bad player. It is that signing him never made any actual sense.

Toronto needed D badly and instead they spent 11 million on Tavaras when they had Matthews and Kadri. Had they not spent that 11 million on Tavaras they could have gone after Calvin de Haan or John Moore that offseason. No, they aren't top 4 dmen but how useful would one of them be for Toronto currently? Alternately, this past offseason they could have gone after Stralman, Nemeth, Myers or Shattenkirk. Shattenkirk would have been a great stand in for Barrie, at a cheaper rate, while also not losing Kadri in the process to get him. The only reason Shattenkirk didn't work in New York is that his skill set can't carry a team. However it is a great skill set to have to compliment skilled offensive players. Relatively low risk with relatively high reward. To add on, look at the upcoming FAs on D. Pietrangilo, Vatanen, Edmundson and van Riemsdyk to name 4. 18 million in cap space and a potential top 4 D group of Reilly, Pietr, Muzzin and Shat could have been had with say, 7 million in cap space left. Instead Toronto fans are stuck with a massively flawed roster for the next 4 seasons at least.

On 3/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, Paul T said:

His performance in 2011 also factors into my unfair criticism of Rask.  Specifically in big games.  I don't pin Boston's losses on Rask (or maybe I do... who knows), but he can't elevate his game to win them.  Thomas did.

He looked perfect last night against the Flyers.  The Flyers played far better than Boston for at least 40 mins of that game and Carter Hart had a damn near perfect game, but Rask was perfect and that is why Boston won.  

1 hour ago, Steve said:

He looked perfect last night against the Flyers.  The Flyers played far better than Boston for at least 40 mins of that game and Carter Hart had a damn near perfect game, but Rask was perfect and that is why Boston won.  

Totally agree.  He's a bad ass in the regular season.

14 hours ago, rainsilent said:

If I may say, you are almost sounding like a Leafs fan at the current moment with their doom and gloom statements about their team and how their players are overpaid and thus bad.

Haha!  My friends all say the same thing.  My criticism of him is unfair... I am totally aware.  The Tim Thomas comment brought this up again.  I know if you look at the total stats Rask is unreal.  It's just when it gets to those clutch moments he doesn't seem to finish it off.  Those clutch moments for me for Thomas were vs. Tampa in Game 7 of the ECF... 1-0 shutout!  Then another shutout in game 7 of the Cup Finals vs. Vancouver (an offensive powerhouse at the time).  And even if you want to go back to the Montreal series, Thomas made some absolutely unreal saves late in that game and in OT.  Throw in the Philly sweep.

Here's my memories of Rask in big moments.

- collapsing to Philly in 2010 up 3-0 in Game 7 and losing 4-3.

- collapsing to Chicago in 2013 up 2-1 with just over a minute to go in game 6 and losing 3-2.

- letting in 2 goals on 4 shots in game 7 of the Cup Finals against the Blues last year.

Honest to God, I hope he wins us a Cup so I can finally accept him and shut my mouth about it. 😀

Until then, I will continue to watch youtube highlights of Tim Thomas saves from the 2011 playoffs.  He was also out there throwing slashes and mixing it up.  Gives me goosebumps.

Actually, the Tim Thomas comment didn't bring it up. Just the harping on Rask. In terms of Thomas; Boston dominated 5 of the 7 games against Vancouver yet only won 4. Boston lost a game because Thomas had a sub par game. It isn't like Thomas was perfect. As for Rask, he is the only reason Boston was able to beat Toronto two years in a row in the first round. One series he stood on his head to keep the Bruins in the series at times. The other, he stood on his head in game 7 allowing the Bruins to win a wild game 7. The Philly collapse was as much, and even more so in my opinion, the team in front of him rather than him. The Chicago loss wasn't his fault at all. Both late goals the D left him out to dry. Same goes for the loss against the Blues. One goal Marchand left the team out to dry. Every other goal Rask had no chance on. For whatever reason, you put more blame on Rask than is warranted. For a passionate fan I guess that is to be expected to some degree. Hard for me to truly say when I am not a fan of any one team over another unless we talk international hockey.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, rainsilent said:

Playoffs wise he is 12th best if you limit it to goalies that have played in at least 10 games with a .927 save percentage in 89 career playoff games. The 11 goalies in front of him? Manny Fernandez (11 games), Olaf Kolzig (45 games), Tomas Vokoun (22 games), Braden Holtby (89 games), Ben Bishop (49 games), Craig Anderson (46 games), Jonas Hiller (33 games), Cory Schneider (14 games), Tim Thomas (51 games), Robin Lehner (10 games) and Mike Smith (24 games).

Where do Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy rank on that list, they have to be pretty high on it.

Edited by StevieY

Posted (edited)

He doesn't. His career playoff save percentage is only .918. Absolutely incredible for the time but it doesn't come close to Rask's .927.

Edit: Brodeur has a career playoff save percentage of .919.

Edit 2: Career playoff stats of every goalie with more than 10 games from the past century ranked by save percentage;

http://www.nhl.com/stats/goalies?reportType=season&seasonFrom=19191920&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=3&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,10&sort=savePct&page=0&pageSize=50

Edited by rainsilent

13 hours ago, rainsilent said:

Actually, the Tim Thomas comment didn't bring it up. Just the harping on Rask.

No I meant for me.  It was Steve's comment that sparked my response.

image.png

13 hours ago, rainsilent said:

In terms of Thomas; Boston dominated 5 of the 7 games against Vancouver yet only won 4. Boston lost a game because Thomas had a sub par game. It isn't like Thomas was perfect. As for Rask, he is the only reason Boston was able to beat Toronto two years in a row in the first round. One series he stood on his head to keep the Bruins in the series at times. The other, he stood on his head in game 7 allowing the Bruins to win a wild game 7. The Philly collapse was as much, and even more so in my opinion, the team in front of him rather than him. The Chicago loss wasn't his fault at all. Both late goals the D left him out to dry. Same goes for the loss against the Blues. One goal Marchand left the team out to dry. Every other goal Rask had no chance on. For whatever reason, you put more blame on Rask than is warranted. For a passionate fan I guess that is to be expected to some degree. Hard for me to truly say when I am not a fan of any one team over another unless we talk international hockey.

I agree with most of this.  Just some things to point out that are kind of stuck in my mind.  "Thomas wasn't perfect".  I agree.  But he was when he HAD to be.  Two shutouts in Game 7s of the ECF and Cup Finals.  He made the timely saves when it mattered.  People always point to the Rask stats and I don't really have a great response for it.  he's a really good goalie with a really good defense in front of him, my problem is he never seems to elevate his game when it matters most.  Maybe it's true, maybe it's unfair, but it's just how I feel.  I do disagree about beating Toronto.  The Bs take them down because their goalie is 10x more horrible than Rask... and not just in clutch moments... all the time.  I'm not a big Freddy supporter.  Again, I somewhat agree with most everything you said, but in my mind great goalies find a way to make stops in big moments (Philly, Chicago, St Louis) and he didn't.  And last year it's not like the Bs played the most offensively talented teams.  Toronto was, but again, their goalie and defense are junk.  Then Columbus and Carolina.  I'd expect Rask's save percentage to be high against those teams.  Thomas went through Montreal (who Rask struggles against), Philly (who kicked Rask's butt the year before), Tampa and Vancouver (offensive powerhouse).

I'm weary of the save percentage argument.  If you look at the Top 20 all time, 16 of them are current players and most are in no way shape or form some of the all time greats.  I think they just play in the right era.

image.png

2 hours ago, Paul T said:

No I meant for me.  It was Steve's comment that sparked my response.

image.png

Ah, sorry.

1 hour ago, Paul T said:

The Bs take them down because their goalie is 10x more horrible than Rask... and not just in clutch moments... all the time.  I'm not a big Freddy supporter.

Freddy is a top 10 goalie in the league when at his best. The team in front of him is only 2nd to the Red Wings in terms of how bad it is defensively and yet he gets the stats that he does. Frankly, that is incredible. Without his goaltending the Leafs wouldn't have made the playoffs those three years that it has with him. There is a reason that the only backup that has been remotely decent behind him is McElhinney. If Freddy weren't an elite goalie talent the Leafs would be taking the spot of the Oilers in the joke of the league department.

1 hour ago, Paul T said:

I'm weary of the save percentage argument.  If you look at the Top 20 all time, 16 of them are current players and most are in no way shape or form some of the all time greats.  I think they just play in the right era.

image.png

In all fairness, that is top 20 all time with what looks a 200 game filter applied. Look at Andrew Hammond's career stats. 56 games played, .923 save percentage and 2.31 GAA. While he isn't an elite goalie, I don't think he has gotten a fair chance to stick in the NHL either. I see him as another Thomas Greiss at best. It doesn't help that the teams he has gone to since he left Ottawa have had either established backups or had someone from seemingly nowhere show up and play amazing. That said, in terms of that list. While not all are all time greats, and are a byproduct of the era to some degree, that doesn't mean that they aren't highly skilled goalies.

Looking at that list, only two players stand out as potential question marks or otherwise statistical outliers. Kuemper and Khudobin. Schneider has been effectively killed career wise by injuries. Lehner is a world class elite talent that is fighting mental demons. Lundqvist has been finally caught by age as it looks like he can barely move around in net compared to in the past. I could go through each.

Outside of home plate save percentage, general save percentage is the best stat to look at for goalie performance in general in my opinion. It is the only one that otherwise gives a relative clue as to how good the goalie is actually performing. If you look through goalie stats by era you will find that the best goalies of the era are almost always the ones with the best save percentages. GAA can vary wildly but save percentage is rather constant. Granted, save percentage can be inflated to some degree as well however constant numbers can't be ignored.

Ultimately though, we are trying to split the hairs of greatness. Like players, goalies don't get great stats consistently by accident.

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now