Jump to content
MattBerserkers

Cage trash talk

Recommended Posts

Kudos to the following teams:

- Trojans (formerly Union) and Red Thunder... both managed to stay in GHL this season despite going the majority of the season managed by the computer.

- Kamikaze for avoiding relegation after having just promoted from SHL.

- Masons... who get a special kudos for avoiding relegation after just promoting from SHL - and it also being their first time in GHL.  This is no easy task.

Wait, I thought this was a trash talk thread.


*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 4:05 PM, Paul T said:

Kudos to the following teams:

- Trojans (formerly Union) and Red Thunder... both managed to stay in GHL this season despite going the majority of the season managed by the computer.

- Kamikaze for avoiding relegation after having just promoted from SHL.

- Masons... who get a special kudos for avoiding relegation after just promoting from SHL - and it also being their first time in GHL.  This is no easy task.

Wait, I thought this was a trash talk thread.

Kudos to you!

Tried to start playoff run little too late, and my guys just didn't have the endurance to do it.

But i achieved my goal, no relegation matches for this guy :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so there's a few interesting storylines heading into Season 4, but I think the one I am interested in the most is Cedar Rapids.  It is fairly well documented that this team always overachieves, but after trading away their stud goalie, Lang, they go into the current season with only a single player rated in the 90s.  That player being Vendelin Jaros... a 163 lb. friendly yet nervous winger from the Czech Republic.  Overall rating in itself doesn't mean everything, but it does give a clear indication of how well rounded players are.  This team could easily finish 1st or 10th.  Only time will tell.


*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, he already has 2 preseason wins, tho one comes against top relegeation candidates.

Tomorrow is a real test. Against his former goalie.

Hehe, jokes aside... Iooking for another season where Rain defies the odds :)


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truth be told I was going to trade Lang either this season or next. The core of my skilled forward group is almost all 30+ right now and he was the best trade piece I had to address it. While I could have asked for Lamoureau or Chene in return, as I would have wanted a center back if I got a player, I wanted to go the more diverse route that gave me more options. I have Grimard at where Lang was at S1 with a, for the moment, better team in front of him than Lang did during S1. I'm not expecting quite the same miracle play from Grimard like I got from Lang as the league is better as well but I am hoping to get something between last season and the season before in terms of performance from Grimard. If he gets off to a good start I should be fine relative to my expectations. If he doesn't, this could be a difficult season.

 

While the picks I got for Lang don't add up to Lamoureau or Chene themselves the loss in the performance from not having Lang should take me lower in the standings which should improve my own draft picks. I'm hoping to pick around 12th in the draft with my pick and no higher than 25th with the other 1st round pick. If the upcoming draft is as good as the last that potentially means I will have a crack at a mid 80s overall player with my first 1st round pick. If I pick below 16th with my pick either I got shafted in the draft order or... Well, to be blunt, you all suck. Edit: I joke. If my team does end up in the middle of the playoff bracket I would be amazed at the performance from my team to have done that but I am not expecting that. I wasn't expecting to finish 1st in the conference and 2nd in points overall last season with the ~20th ranked team talent wise either though so who knows?

 

Then again I did try this vaguely similar thing with my other team. It was looking fine with 10 games left in the season and more than 10 points up on the team in 11th place. However the players inexplicably quit playing after a sudden drop in team confidence from blue 'ok' to yellow 'concerned' after losing to a top team in a fairly respectable manner. The prior 3 games were all wins, with one being against another one of the better teams in the league, and my team had a positive record over the last 10 games, including those 3 wins. Yet for some reason the game said, "Nope, screw you" and I said "ok" as nothing I did changed anything. Granted, that team I intentionally built flawed from the outset with no proper playmakers what so ever and I went rather cheap on a few fill in players as well. However, after starting off very poorly I did actually sign a playmaker from FA and my team was above .500 from that point on until the final 10 games of the season where the players altogether stopped playing. Such is how it is. It actually doesn't bother me that much as I get to play a few players on my main roster this season that I really like and couldn't play in the SHL.

Edited by rainsilent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rainsilent said:

I'm hoping to pick around 12th in the draft with my pick and no higher than 25th with the other 1st round pick. If the upcoming draft is as good as the last that potentially means I will have a crack at a mid 80s overall player with my first 1st round pick. If I pick below 16th with my pick either I got shafted in the draft order or... Well, to be blunt, you all suck. Edit: I joke.

I think there's some truth to that last statement 😆

This is a trash talk thread after all.


*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rainsilent said:

Truth be told I was going to trade Lang either this season or next. The core of my skilled forward group is almost all 30+ right now and he was the best trade piece I had to address it. While I could have asked for Lamoureau or Chene in return, as I would have wanted a center back if I got a player,

 

 

probably for the best you didnt get Chene, from my own experience with him, i found he doesn't really play to his potential.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyrod Gibson said:

probably for the best you didnt get Chene, from my own experience with him, i found he doesn't really play to his potential.

 

Could have been a system related issue in that he didn't do well in yours. If we don't run the same systems that me not be true for me.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rainsilent said:

 

Could have been a system related issue in that he didn't do well in yours. If we don't run the same systems that me not be true for me.

Thats fair, i'm no stranger when it comes to picking up players who don't work well in other peoples systems, i think i might still be a little butthurt about Chene though 🤣


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Peekaboo said:

I find him ok so far, as a twoway winger

yea he really does have the ratings for an effective 2way winger, just not as a top center sadly.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use him with Ranta-Lamoreux-Chene... I'd say one of the best 2nd lines in the league :)

Anyways... due to his bad faceoffs, I did all kinds of experiments... At one point, he was centering my 4th (energy) line as powerforward... but used him on all special units as a winger (both 1st and 2nd pp and 1st pk). His minutes varied from 10 to 20+. But as you could anticipate, his results were not so consistent. I moved him on winger on the 2nd late in last season and he seems to be ok there.

I do play my 2nd and 3rd line as twoway, so he fits my playstyle perfectly.

I guess time will tell :)

He is always valuable trade asset, due to his skills and traits.

Edited by Peekaboo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chene seems like a great player to me.  I don't think he'll ever be a top offensive player in the league, but a great defensive asset, which can be just as valuable.  He'll rack up the points if paired with the right players.

Offensively seems best suited as a Two Way role or Power Forward.  Would probably be perfect for a Crash the Net system... and a really good fit for Possession or Dump and Chase.  Might lack a bit with Transition Rushes.  Definitely a Top 6 forward, especially on a Two Way line.

In my opinion, his best value is on the PK where he can play C or F, which is one of the first things I look for when building a team.


*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 11:21 AM, Peekaboo said:

I use him with Ranta-Lamoreux-Chene... I'd say one of the best 2nd lines in the league :)

Probably best twoway line in the league. Chene also will keep growing for many seasons still. So does probably Ranta and Lamoureux so theres maybe one of most succecfull twoway lines seasons to come.

Edited by Ana (Natives)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I like to see.  Arrogant Lazy Agitator takes a cheap shot and our guy immediately drops the gloves.  And if we lose the fight, we take a cheap shot of our own a minute later.

image.png

In addition to Fair Play tactic, I kinda wish Scrum logic was an option.

A) Always play smart

B.) Retaliate when necessary

C) Get revenge at all costs


*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love a targeting option.  For instance, we already have Left Wing Lock, why not have a target for certain player, etc.  I also wish we could differentiate between lines the tactic they use.  Some I want to be assholes, others I want to only take a punch and walk away.  Having everyone on the team with the same tactic takes away the point of having different lines.  But realize I am nitpicking at this point!  But there are teams where all I really care about is hurting them as much as possible no matter the final score, haha.  Just give us THAT option and I'll be happy!


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Steve said:

I'd love a targeting option.  For instance, we already have Left Wing Lock, why not have a target for certain player, etc.  I also wish we could differentiate between lines the tactic they use.  Some I want to be assholes, others I want to only take a punch and walk away.  Having everyone on the team with the same tactic takes away the point of having different lines.  But realize I am nitpicking at this point!  But there are teams where all I really care about is hurting them as much as possible no matter the final score, haha.  Just give us THAT option and I'll be happy!

agreed :)


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve said:

I'd love a targeting option.  For instance, we already have Left Wing Lock, why not have a target for certain player, etc.  I also wish we could differentiate between lines the tactic they use.  Some I want to be assholes, others I want to only take a punch and walk away.  Having everyone on the team with the same tactic takes away the point of having different lines.  But realize I am nitpicking at this point!  But there are teams where all I really care about is hurting them as much as possible no matter the final score, haha.  Just give us THAT option and I'll be happy!

I like where this is going. 


*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve said:

I'd love a targeting option.  For instance, we already have Left Wing Lock, why not have a target for certain player, etc.  I also wish we could differentiate between lines the tactic they use.  Some I want to be assholes, others I want to only take a punch and walk away.  Having everyone on the team with the same tactic takes away the point of having different lines.  But realize I am nitpicking at this point!  But there are teams where all I really care about is hurting them as much as possible no matter the final score, haha.  Just give us THAT option and I'll be happy!

Energy line is about 60% of your answer. Shut down is that but only to the skilled players on the opposing team. The last 40% is the players you put on that line. Most managers seem to be wary of making such a line as the players in question typically lack skill for physicality and spirit.

 

Edit: The next thing is that you have to give the players enough time on ice to make a positive difference. I see a lot of 4th lines playing 6-8 minutes a night. That is too little time on ice to have a positive impact in the desired role. Don't be afraid to give your 4th line 10-12 minutes a night. So long as you have them in the right role playing the right line style and they are comfortable playing in your system they will do well. Case in point Matthew Stang. Remember when another manager was raging at the fact that Stang essentially won a playoff series for my team? His performance rating is in the green for a very good reason despite his apparent lack of skill.

Edited by rainsilent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rainsilent said:

Case in point Matthew Stang. Remember when another manager was raging at the fact that Stang essentially won a playoff series for my team? His performance rating is in the green for a very good reason despite his apparent lack of skill.

Good memory.  Stang had a career series against me in the season 2 playoffs.

Slight misperception, though, as I don't rage.  At least not a serious rage as I tend to enjoy when non-standard events occur.  I do remember pointing it out and giving my team the hairdryer treatment because of it.  But at this point I've come to realize that a CHL team would take us out in the playoffs (specifically 3 games to 1).

Fairly certain the game coding goes something like

=IF(AND(Manager="Paul T",Game="Round 1 of Playoffs"),Lose series 3-1,jump to rest of code)
Edited by Paul T

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stang still plays for Cedar.  He's one of those guys you love having on your team.  Not having to worry about your bottom 6 is a great thing.  Just put them out there with confidence.  He has 16 career GHL goals, but came up with 2 huge goals in that season 2 first round playoff series.  +3 playoffs overall.

On the flip side, my best player, De-Nobile has 95 career GHL goals, but only 1 in 12 playoffs games... with a -7.

Also... take a look at some of the players that consistently score on me... maybe I should rage!!!

https://gameplanhockey.com/game?gpid=23791-A

 

Edited by Paul T

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a GM profile or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create a GM profile

Sign up for a GM profile in our community. It's free & easy!

Create a GM profile

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...