slipdog

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: July 2018
Rep - Floater

Hi folks.  I am new to this great game, but I have noticed an aesthetic flaw.  I am hoping someone here can convince me that I am misguided in this because there is so much to like about this game.

Flaw:  It strikes me that there is little point in developing young players, because promotions and relegations shake up the roster so intensely.  I also don't see the point in signing long-term contracts given the fair possibility of changing divisions.  Indeed, if you are demoting, it would be great to have some great talent in a lower division.  On the other hand, if you are promoting (the ultimate goal, to win games and promote), then what advantage is there to sign longer contracts?  I have found so far that resigning players is more expensive than the free agent market, so that is another strike against developing franchise players (in my brief experience with GPHL)

In short, the extreme change-over of roster from season to season strikes me as a somewhat lacking in team character.

I love this game, so someone please explain to me where I am missing something here.

thanks!

Posted July 28, 2018 - 09:34 PM

Mocha

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2018
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCalgary

If you're in a lower league than GHL then promoting shouldn't be an issue in terms of worrying about your team changing and you don't want to sign long term anyways if it's a lower league because you want to promote and get players more suited skill wise to which league your promoted to. The point is to get to the GHL and once you do then you will want to sign long term because as they develop so will their contracts and you will run into cap problems eventually so getting them cheaper on long term is the way to go. If you are worried about constantly changing divisions by the time you reach the GHL aka your worried about relegation then you may be playing the game wrong. If you choose the development route then odds are your going to get relegated and you probably won't make it back until your players are ready to be able to compete in the GHL and if you get promoted you will still more than likely face the same challenges you did before, hence why it's in your best interest that once you get promoted to be as aggressive as possible to fill out your team to be able to compete as you build your team with young talent from the draft, free agency or trades around them, at which point those guys you believe to be your future superstars you will want to lock up for as cheap as possible, for as long as possible. However if you don't get guys to compete when you reach the GHL then you will probably get stuck in a cycle of getting demoted and then trying to make it back and since you lose 1 ways in relegation, it will be a long road when ideally you should do whatever it takes to get guys that can keep you there. Now given manager rep affects FA's then you might find trouble beating other more experienced managers at getting any good players that way, so the best thing to do in my mind which i've seen alot of managers not do, is use your picks to get as much as you can. If you are a manager who always wants to keep his picks then all I can say is good luck because establishing yourself first is much more important in avoiding this problem of flip flopping leagues. Once you've achieved that and managed to stay in the league (even one season makes a huge difference) then you can start too worry about getting guys you wanna keep long term, whether they're fa's, draft picks or guys you've traded for at which point then you will realize the value in signing those type of contracts. Until that point though you're right as long term contracts are not ideal, especially in lower leagues.

Posted July 30, 2018 - 04:34 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Slipdog - you make a valid point.  There was talk of a North American style world without promo/relegation possibly being implemented at some point (not sure if that is still in the long term plans), and that would definitely put more emphasis on drafting and developing younger players.  I think the relegation aspect turns a lot of people off since you put a lot of time and effort into building a team and can have everything ripped from you over 1 bad season, but it is what it is. 

I guess one thing to keep in mind is that the number of teams who promote/relegate every season are minimal in comparison to the number of teams in a league.  It is very possible you stay in the same league for 3-5 seasons... I was in BHL for 4 seasons before promoting to SHL, and have now been in SHL for 3 seasons with no signs of promotion/relegation in sight.  Even if you do promote, you can keep those players with you and continue to develop them.  They may eventually be ready to compete in the league you are in.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users