Marque Berge20

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Floater

I know some will say that this happens in real life and such but im i the only one who noticed that some game results can be ridiculous sometimes ? For example , you beat the top teams in the league but lose a game against the last position team. This happens alot. I have such results many times. Maybe there is a problem with the game ? I played over 30 seasons in the game and see it on a regular basis. It is really annoying. Also , sometimes you get a player that you pay over 5 million per season with good ratings and he does less than a young prospect. It is hard under such condition to know what to do. I also have some part of the season where my players play bad and suddenly start play good and all this with the same lineup , strategy and everything. I notice the same for many teams in my league. It is up and down.

Posted July 11, 2018 - 12:28 AM

Gator Raid

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Reliable
I see where your coming from, but seeing the 8th place team lose to the 16th place team doesn’t seem unrealistic to me. I lost to the same team 2-0 while being 1st and them being last, and out shooting them 37-25. goalie must have stood on his head haha! You make valid points with the inconsistency of star players, my star center Gavrikov has 60+ points a season for 3 years straight then he was injured for almost half a season and never came back the same. I think the sim engine needs tweaking, but the development team has stated they are working on this and it will be vastly improved in the future. Nothing much can be done till then, so stay positive and hope it’s just a rough patch in your season. You have a great team going for you and can make playoffs this year, so just keep chugging along!

Good luck this season, I look forward to playing you soon!
Gator

Posted July 11, 2018 - 02:33 AM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

It's also the very nature of simulations to come across as random sometimes. Under normal conditions, I'd say any given team within a league has at least a 20% chance of winning any other team within that league on any given night. That percentage is an extreme example, and even that leaves quite a bit of room for upsets.

And the better (player quality) team wins more often than it loses. For that I've some stats derived from the Biscuit power rankings over the 5 full seasons it's been there. Bearing in mind the power rankings only take into account player overalls, and there is always much more at play.

Between S10-S14:

67,5% of available playoff spots have been filled with top-8 teams.

Regular season winners have been ranked: 1st, 1st, 1st, 10th, 2nd.

Cup winners have been ranked: 1st, 7th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd.

The take is small, but it gives a hint as to that the materially best teams do prevail most of the time over a long enough time frame.

tldr, I think this game does a pretty good job when it comes to better teams winning games. There is always the random element that is present in sim games, as it should be.

Posted July 11, 2018 - 07:38 PM

Gator Raid

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Reliable
Another good example is the game I just had against you, you beat me today when you are placed 8 and I’m placed 1, an 8 spot difference. Edson beat you when placed 16, and you placed 8, an 8 spot difference. It happens to every team, you can’t beat everyone below you and lose to everyone ahead of you, it just doesn’t work like that.

Posted July 12, 2018 - 11:24 AM

littleb

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: September 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa

If you can't beat anyone below you how would you be in 1st?

Not trying to be a smartass, just think that it probably isn't happening as much as you think.  

I find I have a bogey team in every league I play in that just always beats me.  I put it up to tactics differences and the way the players play specific to the tactics chosen making it more difficult than it should look on paper.

Posted July 17, 2018 - 12:42 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I'm not sure I would say 'ridiculous', but sometimes the team that dominates in shots and possession does not win.  Sometimes.

I was originally going to agree with you here that it seems to happen more than it should, but after looking at my box scores and results, I don't show that to be the case.

To test it, I didn't use a strict formula, I just tried to get a general feel for the game.  I went into each box score and looked at the shots and possession, and used a combination of those to determine what team "should" have won.  For example, if Team A had 5 more shots and 10% more possessions, you can say they should have won.  Or if possession was somewhat even, but a team had 10 more shots, etc. 

My results:

I went 9-2 in games I dominated.

I went 8-4 in games that were somewhat even.

I went 3-7 in games where my opponent dominated.

I suppose my only gripe here is that I should dominate a lot more than I do (and/or get dominated much less often) :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users