Photo

Important! Where did all the mascots go?

• Please log in to reply

Posted July 10, 2018 - 08:33 AM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1380 posts
  • 148 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

You have probably noticed that all team mascots have disappeared from the game. The license that grants us permission to use the mascots have expired and unfortunately it seems like we won’t be able to extend this license to the same terms any longer. We’re currently working hard to find another provider of team mascots. 

Until then all mascots have been removed from the game. 
We are really sorry about this and ensure you that we’re working hard to find a solution as soon as possible.

If you have any suggestions on good mascot providers or artists that allows us to use them in our game don’t hesitate to give us a shout! Send an email to anders@gameplanhockey.com. We appreciate all the help we can get in this matter.

Thanks

Posted July 10, 2018 - 08:53 AM

littleb

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: September 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa

Ah should have posted here :)

Is there anyway to just let us upload our own?  

Storage is an issue, people using pictures instead of actual mascot or badge likely would too but would give a bit more freedom to do what they like with their team.  Likely would take a bit of doing as well.  Just spitballing it out there :)

Posted July 10, 2018 - 09:03 AM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Outstanding

Storage is an issue, people using pictures instead of actual mascot or badge likely would too but would give a bit more freedom to do what they like with their team.  Likely would take a bit of doing as well.  Just spitballing it out there :)

I could finally put CCCP lettering on my jersey then! :P

Posted July 10, 2018 - 12:24 PM

granpubah

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2017
Rep - Reliable

how about 1 free change of team colors and we call it even :cool:

Posted July 10, 2018 - 03:19 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I feel like that is just a potential lawsuit as people will inevitably start using their favourite team's logo. Its probably bet to play it safe.

Posted July 10, 2018 - 05:16 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • 22 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

My suggestion for a potential option would be to go to an art site like DeviatArt and ask people for permission to use original artwork for logo designs. So long as you find a way to credit them I think at least some would be ok with it.

Posted July 11, 2018 - 02:03 PM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Why lawsuit? If the team logo is visible only for managers in the world that are signed in, the probability for copyright problems is very small (max 80 people to be offended) and Anders can play it safe that everybody has to agree on terms not breaking any copyrights when uploading their logo. Then it is the problem of the manager, not the game and developers. From time to time, somebody from the developer team can check the logos and delete the problematic ones. I think many games do it this way.

For those not skilled enough in Photoshop to create their own logos, this game can offer very simple logo creator based on two or three color, shape and letters/symbols - pretty much something similar to what has been now created automatically for everyone based on the their color and first letter of the name, only with more options. Because now half of the logos are pretty ugly since the letter always have same color as one of the backgrounds and white letter being not readable.  

Posted July 13, 2018 - 02:05 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1380 posts
  • 148 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

We are now close to finding a new mascot provider. Hopefully we can have mascots back in the game within a couple of weeks. But there will be new mascots to choose from so all teams will be given the possibility to re-choose their mascot. More info regarding this is coming soon.

And thanks for all your suggestions.

Designing your own logo is a feature that we would love to add in the future!

Posted July 13, 2018 - 05:59 PM

Gator Raid

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Reliable
Just a question, how will the order be decided when choosing new logos? First come first serve?

Posted July 15, 2018 - 03:45 PM

GamePlanHockey

• Moderators
  • 1380 posts
  • 148 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Just a question, how will the order be decided when choosing new logos? First come first serve?

Not entirely decided yet but here's probably what is going to happen. All teams will automatically be assigned a new mascot that is in the same "category" as their current. For those managers who still want to change it will be first come first serve. But after a manager change their mascot the old mascot will become available for other teams so hopefully everyone will find a mascots of their likings.

Posted July 17, 2018 - 04:03 PM

bremitt

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: July 2017
Rep - Floater

what if i make and upload my own logo and allow for Moderator approval? shouldn't run into any legal issues and shouldn't have any appropriate issues either...

Posted July 17, 2018 - 11:09 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 431 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I don't think uploaded logos are in the cards right now.  I'm sure the game developers are cautious.  It's a slippery slope, if they let one user upload a logo, they would have to open it up to everyone to be fair.

Personally, I don't mind using stock pictures, that way everyone has the same mix of logos to choose from.

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | SHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users