Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBritish Columbia

My method of scouting the draft class involves inputting their ratings and such into a spreadsheet so I can more accurately compare Player A to Players B, C and D.

It's a bit of a painstaking process the way the prospect list is set up now, where I have to click on the player, then click on 'show all ratings,' then click on 'show all traits'

Rinse and repeat about 250 times.

I would love, love, love it if the prospects were presented the way I view my team's roster on the 'ratings' page, where everything is laid out in a cut-and-pasteable way.

Even if you're not doing some kind of foolishly labour-intensive process like mine, I think it would help less involved GMs if they could do a bit more eyeballing of the draft class before the draft.

I've heard that everything in this game matters, but I don't think everyone is accounting for everything in draft evaluation, because accounting for everything is currently a lot of work.

Posted June 29, 2018 - 05:13 PM

littleb

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa

There are actually a lot of people who put the time and aggravation into deep scouting.  I do think having a little bit of work is what makes you earn your keep a little, so am on the fence whether I am a fan of it or not.  Just like scouting in free agents, you have to go look at each player in detail and if you are willing to do the work you have an advantage.  

Saying this the I can see where your idea has merit, not sure which side of the fence I am on with it though is all.

Posted June 30, 2018 - 06:03 AM

HurjaHerra

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

What would be the point of not having an advantage if you'r willing to spend more time and put more effort than your peer?

Posted June 30, 2018 - 05:46 PM

Kelvin

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Floater

A little bit off topic but how is the draft in your world? In my world (Fishbowl) there isn't a single player over 81.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted July 01, 2018 - 08:58 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I've thought about both sides of this as well.  Personally, I think there should be some data that could be exported such as Overall rating and Stats.  Then data that you need to dig in to find such as specific ratings (pass, puck, shot, etc.) and traits. 

In real life, with all the draft coverage (across all sports), it is common knowledge which players are top of their class and you can pull up stats fairly easily.  To an extent you even know where players excel and where players aren't developed yet.  But I think you should have to do the research for specific ratings and traits.

Meet in the middle to keep both sides happy.  Draft research becomes easier and not overly time consuming, but managers who want to put in the time still get an advantage. 

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted July 01, 2018 - 02:29 PM

littleb

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa
Personally I think there should be a generalized overall. Then we need scouts in the game and the more time they scout certain players the more info you get. On my phone so not going to go full detail.... but think that would be a hell of a lot of fun

Posted July 02, 2018 - 12:17 PM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

Personally I think there should be a generalized overall. Then we need scouts in the game and the more time they scout certain players the more info you get. On my phone so not going to go full detail.... but think that would be a hell of a lot of fun

YES, YES, YES!!!!  :D

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted July 03, 2018 - 05:55 PM

Red Fox

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Outstanding

A little bit off topic but how is the draft in your world? In my world (Fishbowl) there isn't a single player over 81.

That's a bit mor realistic and grounded I think, and in line with the original intent of the GHL being based around 80- 85 overall players before the ratings glitch caused massive inflation.

Posted July 06, 2018 - 04:24 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I don't fully understand, but I'm intrigued to hear more.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted July 06, 2018 - 09:46 PM

Gator Raid

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Reliable
I think he means we are given the player overall, but that’s it. If we want to know that players shooting stat, passing etc. we would have to scout them to find out.

Again, this is what I got from his comment, would be cool though.

Posted July 06, 2018 - 11:29 PM

littleb

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa
I don’t even really want an overall. I want a ranking and the stats they have for the league they are in and that is it.

My idea is based on time scouted. You could have a quick scout which takes 1 day and get a general feel for him. Maybe they will say his skating, puck handling and shooting would be exceptional for your league but he will always be lacking in defense. Then when you look at him you would see random ranges for each ability that would be -/+ 15 or even just the words as well as a potential generalization like rising star, promising etc.

Normal scout would take 2 days and give you attributes within a closer range like -/+ 10. If would give you a more accurate reading of his potential and maybe point some things out like he seemed to always find a open player or he excelled at the physical side of the game giving you better ideas of potential roles.

Final one is a deep scout. I still like margin for error so plus or minus 5 for attributes and includes an interview that would indicate mental abilities. Or heck maybe the interview stage could be something on a certain day in the off season where you select so many players you want to interview.

Of course if you deep scout everyone you won’t get as many reports and might miss someone but will have a good idea if he is a star. If you do smaller scouts you will have more data but less accurate. Adds more decisions in the game and makes the draft more lively. N

Now I have no idea what it would take to happen... but think it is something I would like to see.

Posted July 09, 2018 - 04:23 PM

Eric Welsh

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBritish Columbia

That's outstanding. That's one aspect that I miss from the old Eastside Hockey Manager days. Scouts were an interesting part of that sim.

Posted July 11, 2018 - 07:21 PM

gccsteel

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Floater

My two cents on this topic:

I think you want to differentiate skill level and success by tactics, strategy, and planning as opposed to who has the most free time. And above all else, I think you want to make this game FUN by removing or limiting tediousness.

It takes roughly 60 seconds to manually copy a player from game on one screen to spreadsheet on a second screen. And that is with decent typing skills not to mention two screens available. It takes roughly 4 hours to transcribe all available draftees using this calculation. That is great and all, but it takes no tactics, skill, or planning to do. And further, it is not fun but rather tedious. Unless you're a masochist, and you should probably go transcribe the dictionary or something more up your alley. :)

If skills and traits are made available to everyone, I think they need to be easily exportable. This goes for draft list as well as a world player list (biscuit for example). I think making junior players less visible is a decent alternative so you can't see every single skill/trait. They should probably stay that way as prospects until they are signed. But if world list players are available for all to see then they should be exportable still. Super tedious to go through every team looking at prospects, minor leaguers, and starters to see who may be worth trading for.

Again, just my two cents, but the focus should be on increasing FUN activities and removing or at least limiting TEDIOUS activities.

Posted July 11, 2018 - 09:42 PM

Gator Raid

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Reliable
Another thing I would suggest that is on the note of draft class presentation that I have been thinking of for a while is multiple rankings. In real life there are countless lists and websites that have draft rankings such as nhl central scouting, tsn, ISS hockey, and many more. I’m not saying we should have 10 different rankings, but 3-4 would be useful. This would come into play mostly for drafts such as the Hischier-Patrick draft where many rankings had each interchangeable at 1/2. It would help close decisions where the prospects are similar, if say 3/4 rankings have one player above another it would give them more stock and make your decision easier.

Posted July 22, 2018 - 02:15 AM

BFGore

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: November 2016
Rep - Helpful

For our team we are owner/general manager, scout, coach.... for me, we should be only a owner GM.

It a personal point of view, but making line, tactic, training and especially scouting it annoying, and the word are weak.

I would love to make a team of coach, trainer, scouting personnal as micromanagement... Cause.what I like, it make a team.

we could hire team as we hire player and then set some parameter they would fit more or less with.

For scout as exemple, we could have a "next draft team need" parameter.

The X number of scout make list base on "higher rank list"/team need/their own preference. and the day of draft your could use yours shortlist or one of your scout over higher rank.

We could use the personnal team or still not and do it all by your own as we do now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users