Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Floater

Steam Profile

Just looking for some advice going forward, how do draft preferences work? Because I definitely just wasted the first overall pick this year. I had a list of guys and the guy I ended up getting was about 12th on my list. How can I prevent this in the future?

Thanks.

Posted June 12, 2018 - 11:28 AM

glenngg

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2018
Rep - Floater

I'm new to this too, but if you are taking the time to make your shortlist and put it in order, you'll usually want to select the option "shortlist only".  For your 12th player to be selected, you must have had some other option selected.

Posted June 12, 2018 - 06:07 PM

Jack Reacher

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: December 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

So Draft preferences help you to order your picks and prospects you want. So basically if you have the first overall pick, if the draft preferences are not selected, the computer will automatically take your #1 pick, but if you do have a preference, select the player you want and then go horizontally across to a drop down bar which is set to any pick. Change that to one of the drop down options, which will be "first round pick", "second round pick", or "third round pick". This ensures that the prospect you want will be chose n with the right pick. But also remember to set draft preferences to "use shortlist over rank", so the computer chooses from the players you want instead of the ranked ones in the draft. Hopefully that helped.

Posted June 13, 2018 - 06:00 PM

Rideon34

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Floater

Steam Profile

Thanks for the tips. I did have it set for the shortlist but didn't change the settings on the right. Live and learn

Posted June 14, 2018 - 01:43 AM

Gardener

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Floater

What happens if I've set the first player of my draft preferences on 1st round pick, the second on 2nd round pick and the first player was picked by another team before my 1st round pick? Will take the computer my second player in the 1st round or select the computer the third player of my preferences with option "any pick"?

Posted June 14, 2018 - 11:57 AM

PulmonaryGoose

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: April 2018
Rep - Floater

Thanks for the tips. I did have it set for the shortlist but didn't change the settings on the right. Live and learn

Also be aware that your first 11 picks may have been choices for the people drafting in front of you, as well. Highly unlikely, but possible. Depending on team needs, the person drafting 37th, may not want the player that is ranked 37. They may choose player 45, for whatever reasons. Therefore, you might be reacting to an unlucky draft, rather than poorly chosen preferences.

Posted June 14, 2018 - 05:50 PM

Jack Reacher

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: December 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

What happens if I've set the first player of my draft preferences on 1st round pick, the second on 2nd round pick and the first player was picked by another team before my 1st round pick? Will take the computer my second player in the 1st round or select the computer the third player of my preferences with option "any pick"?

Say you are selecting #5 and you want the #5 guy, but a team ahead of you has chosen him with their first. Then the computer will shift your first round pick down to the next player that is ranked behind the guy you wanted. So if you have #5 pick, but #5 guy is taken, but the next guy in line is #10(assume you want him), but his bar is set to any pick; the computer will select him with the first round pick, as long as he is higher than the guy that you want to select with your second round pick. This is one of the reasons, I personally automatically shortlist the players I want ahead of me so I don't miss out on them if a team decides to take someone else. This ensure I don't miss out on a valuable prospect and if they do get chose, I will still have my pick in the first round. Hopefully that clears things up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users