canucks357

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: October 2015
Rep - Helpful

I'm torn. I'm currently 1 point out of the 8th and final playoff spot with 8 games remaining. I'm 14 points clear of 13th. My conundrum is, what value is there to pushing to make playoffs? I doubt I can upset either of the top-2 seeds. So, in essence, I'd just be screwing myself out of a good draft pick. Is there any value to making playoffs? Do players develop a lot in a short period of time? Does team rep go up and players sign for cheaper? What are the pros of that outcome? With as weak as this year's draft is, it seems a lot more pragmatic to play my youngsters the rest of the year to give them GHL development time and take (hopefully) a top-5 pick.

Posted June 05, 2018 - 08:56 PM

Jack Reacher

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: December 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

In my experience, playing in the playoffs will give you more manager and team reputation which in turn will let you get high rated players for a cheaper price. Depending on the player, they can either grow a lot or stay stationary. I once had some guys jump from a 88 to a 90-91, but that was also the year I won the cup. Other years, they usually grow 1 overall or stay stationary. the pros of making the playoffs is gaining reputation and maybe a possible overall jump for some players. The cons of making the playoffs is that if you aren't a top team, you wont get every far and you lose a potential top 5 pick as you mentioned, but also there is the lack of fulfillment of not making the playoffs(wheather its exiting early or not making them at all). If the draft class is decent enough I would risk going into the playoffs, but since this years is a bit weaker than previous years, I would suggest playing younger players so they can "get used to" the big club and vs big league teams.

Posted June 06, 2018 - 08:18 AM

canucks357

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

In my experience, playing in the playoffs will give you more manager and team reputation which in turn will let you get high rated players for a cheaper price. Depending on the player, they can either grow a lot or stay stationary. I once had some guys jump from a 88 to a 90-91, but that was also the year I won the cup. Other years, they usually grow 1 overall or stay stationary. the pros of making the playoffs is gaining reputation and maybe a possible overall jump for some players. The cons of making the playoffs is that if you aren't a top team, you wont get every far and you lose a potential top 5 pick as you mentioned, but also there is the lack of fulfillment of not making the playoffs(wheather its exiting early or not making them at all). If the draft class is decent enough I would risk going into the playoffs, but since this years is a bit weaker than previous years, I would suggest playing younger players so they can "get used to" the big club and vs big league teams.

Thanks for your reply and comments. I fell short and landed 9th last year, a significant reduction in draft value from previous seasons. I'll give it another game or two and see what I can get. I suspect, unless I keep this winning roll going, the last 5+ games will be a young squad for reasons you mentioned. Good luck the rest of the year!

Posted June 06, 2018 - 09:06 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

You bring up a great point.  I suppose if the top 5-6 draft prospects are that much better than the players who would go 7-16, I might consider tanking to get that stud player.  But being in a Slow world, I put more emphasis on short term.  I play to win.  Always.  If there's a chance I'd make the playoffs I'd go for it and try to pull a few upsets.

Posted June 06, 2018 - 11:10 PM

Jack Reacher

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

There will always be that tough decision between going for the cup or staying low enough to get a top 5 pick. Since Howitzer is a fast paced world, I would risk dropping spots to gain a better prospect, but this year's draft is pretty disappointing to tank for. I would actually try to win in the playoffs so that your team can gain some reputation and so that players get used to playing in playoffs. Anyways Good Luck on the rest of the season, and possibly the playoffs if you choose to go for it!

Posted June 07, 2018 - 07:59 PM

canucks357

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

I've won 9 of my last 10 and just beat the top team. I think my team is telling me what I should do. All-in it is! Up to 6th now setting up a potential series vs a team I've consistently done well against for some reason.

Posted June 07, 2018 - 10:35 PM

Jack Reacher

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

Please don't destroy me. lol. Good Luck the rest of the way and into the playoffs!

Posted June 08, 2018 - 07:19 AM

canucks357

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Please don't destroy me. lol. Good Luck the rest of the way and into the playoffs!

Penultimate game of the year could be a big one given how close we are!

Posted June 09, 2018 - 01:14 PM

canucks357

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

And just like that, lost all the recent games. 2 points up on 9th playing 2nd when 9th is playing last. I may go through all this and miss playoffs anyway - finishing with a mid-round pick as a reward.

Posted June 09, 2018 - 05:37 PM

Gator Raid

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Reliable
You never know what could happen, 2nd kinda sucks in my opinion...

Posted June 12, 2018 - 06:07 PM

Jack Reacher

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 2 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

well i got destroyed in playoffs

0 user(s) are reading this topic