PulmonaryGoose

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: April 2018
Rep - Floater

So some of my players have developed well and do not want to sign with my team again. Rightly so, they should be in a higher league by their stats...

My problem: I do not find this out until the last day of regular season and in the playoffs I am not allowed to make any trades.

This means that I cannot resign my player and currently, unless I can trade them in one day (which depends on other players being available), I cannot offer to trade my player up and take advantage of the fact that a higher ranked team might want them.

Unless there is something I have missed, I would like to request that we are able to start contract renewals with 5-10 days to go in the regular season. Or be allowed to make trades during playoffs, otherwise I will potentially just lose my good players with no reward.

Posted June 05, 2018 - 01:51 PM

granpubah

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2017
Rep - Reliable

This is a great point.  While I may not want trades during the playoffs; the idea of opening contract discussion with a player is very good.  right now only players who are concerned or frustrated with their contract can (will) discuss a new deal.  I think the idea of opening all negociations for a few days before the season ends is something worth looking at.    

Posted June 07, 2018 - 09:40 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I am probably in the minority here, but I think the trade deadline should actually be moved up!  Say like Day 45.  I feel like managers should have to take calculated risks based on which players are not signed, getting too good, etc.

Both sides are definitely worth some discussion though.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted June 07, 2018 - 10:54 AM

littleb

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa

I think what the real issue is, is that the player gives no inclination in his final year what he is thinking.  

I think if you open negotiations with the player, he needs to give better feedback.  With that feedback you can determine whether or not it is a good idea for you to hold him, or trade him.

I am with Paul on the deadline being earlier... no question in my mind it needs to be.   I also think that any team that is eliminated from a playoff could be allowed to make swaps in the post season.  Not sure how it would work but I don't see why it would hurt anyway.

Posted June 07, 2018 - 11:39 AM

PulmonaryGoose

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: April 2018
Rep - Floater

I am probably in the minority here, but I think the trade deadline should actually be moved up!  Say like Day 45.  I feel like managers should have to take calculated risks based on which players are not signed, getting too good, etc.

Both sides are definitely worth some discussion though.

Trade deadline can be at any time in the season. But if your player says they are happy, then why can't you offer them a contract extension to say right, let's get you signed on another few years if you are happy. That fact that they say happy, then on deadline day turn around and say I am not interested in renewing, obviously they are not happy...

Managers in real life would have these conversations and be able to ask these questions, even if they are forced to provide an ultimatum of say re-sign or commit yourself to moving on. That way they can start the process early of negotiating new players for next season.

Posted June 07, 2018 - 12:02 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Trade deadline can be at any time in the season. But if your player says they are happy, then why can't you offer them a contract extension to say right, let's get you signed on another few years if you are happy. That fact that they say happy, then on deadline day turn around and say I am not interested in renewing, obviously they are not happy...

Managers in real life would have these conversations and be able to ask these questions, even if they are forced to provide an ultimatum of say re-sign or commit yourself to moving on. That way they can start the process early of negotiating new players for next season.

Yeah, it's a valid point.  Maybe players should be willing to start negotiating new contracts around day 30-35, then have a trade deadline around day 45.  That would give managers 10-15 days to be able to re-sign players or decide to trade expiring contracts.  It would also add some excitement to the game mid-season - as in real sports there is always excitement around the trade deadline.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users