• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Floater
  • LocationLatvia
Hello.

Wanted to ask about line up position, if my player is Left wing, he need to play at left wing or better it would be right wing(better quality angle to shoot)
or that doesnt matter ?

Posted May 27, 2018 - 07:29 AM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: August 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBelgium

Hello.Wanted to ask about line up position, if my player is Left wing, he need to play at left wing or better it would be right wing(better quality angle to shoot)or that doesnt matter ?

It doesn't matter. There is no evidence stating that a forward is better/worse playing offwing. Although there are managers saying that snipers are playing better on their offwing. But that's just personal experience.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted May 28, 2018 - 05:42 AM

Glawing

GamePlanHockey Support Team

• Moderators
  • 259 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: November 2016
Rep - Outstanding
Hi!

Everything in game matters! ;)

//Tobias

Posted May 28, 2018 - 06:19 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

In the beginnings (prototype, beta), I recall message from Anders that at least for PP the off-wing matters - that is much better to play left-handed player on the right wing (and also for L/R D-position). I think the idea was that this will be generally true for 5-on-5, but I'm not sure what is the situation now. Anyway, I'm in the group that uses L/R handed wings and defenders off-wing in most of the lines. 

edit: I looked in the forums and I have found this very old topic:

http://forums.gmgame...g-the-off-wing/

I believe I have seen somewhere message about the implementation for PP as suggested in that topic.

Glawing - your post is very rude. First, the L/R handed players are here since the beginning, when you were not staff, so you haven't added it (that is for the WE in your post). Also, if you don't want to say any secret that you, as a staff, knows (and I guess it improves your chances in your league), you should not be answering the question at all. This kind of post (I know, but I will not tell) is very childish and should not represent the staff members. 

Posted May 28, 2018 - 07:38 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Ok, it wasn't that hard to find it (this forum has really clever search engine - people/me should use it more often):

http://forums.gmgame...filter-options/

"...In which way the player is handed already makes a slight difference in the game. Specially in the Powerplay. If a player is playing on the left wing and is right handed this player will more likely get better shooting opportunities."

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted May 28, 2018 - 10:36 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

Ok, it wasn't that hard to find it (this forum has really clever search engine - people/me should use it more often):

http://forums.gmgame...filter-options/
"...In which way the player is handed already makes a slight difference in the game. Specially in the Powerplay. If a player is playing on the left wing and is right handed this player will more likely get better shooting opportunities."

This makes sense and you see it all the time in real life, it's a lot to do with geometry, but I for one haven't been able to crack this code on 5-on-5 beyond a few streaks here and there.

Posted May 28, 2018 - 02:43 PM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1574 posts
  • 161 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
Just thought I’d jump in to clarify Glawing’s post. Don’t think he meant to be rude in any way, just that we normally won’t reveal how the game engine works in detail. And the reason he wrote “we” is because he is part of the organization I’m trying to build behind the game and not just the forum staff. But I understand this may not be obvious, we may need to clarify this further.

Regarding left/right handed I believe you’ve already found all the info you need :-)

Posted May 28, 2018 - 03:34 PM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBelgium
Thanks for the clarification Anders. Altough bouncer is right in a way. The reaction was not very mature. Yes, we all understand we can't know everything about the game but to point that out like this is not the right way. And if you and Tobias have that information it does benefit you both, that's a fact.

Posted May 28, 2018 - 03:51 PM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1574 posts
  • 161 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden
Agreed. The answer was probably not thought all the way through. I admit that. And you’re right, I know all the details about this game so of course I have an advantage over most managers. But I’m far from winning every game, I’m either a poor manager or it really proves how complex this game is. I’m hoping for the latter, which is also a good thing :-) But this is actually something I’ve thought of lately. Is it fair for me to compete in my own game?

Posted May 28, 2018 - 03:57 PM

koekefix

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBelgium
I think it's a complex game and it's not mathematics, luckily so. This way it makes it interesting for everyone. You have the intel but there are a lot of other factors you can't know or forsee.

I don't have any problem with you playing, this way you are closer to the game and can evaluate yourself.

Posted May 28, 2018 - 04:01 PM

Glawing

GamePlanHockey Support Team

• Moderators
  • 259 posts
  • 10 thanks
    GM Since: November 2016
Rep - Outstanding

My bad! I'm so sorry! I had no intentions to be rude!

My intentions was only to clarify that everything matters.

I have now edited the answer.

//Tobias

Posted May 28, 2018 - 04:57 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Outstanding

I saw nothing negative in Glawing's post. I think the hint was perfectly clear (utilize your player's handedness smartly). Just my two cents though.

Posted May 28, 2018 - 06:55 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I thought Glawing's initial post was OK as well.  To me it seemed more "playful" than arrogant.  I also kind of like that there are some aspects of the game that are an unknown.  If every small detail of the game was known then every manager would set up their team the same way, use the same set up, etc.  Part of the fun of the game is figuring out what works best for your team and using it to your advantage.

That being said, I have always wondered about the Left/Right shot and glad it was discovered and posted here.   :)  

I have also wondered about how a teams lines "should" be set up.  Logic tells me that line 1 - 4 should be: Scoring, Two Way, Checking, Energy... in that order.  But again, I'm glad the "answer" to this question is not known because it's very cool that every manager sets up their own team differently.  Note how I used "should" and "answer" as I am not totally sure if there is a correct set up or answer to this. 

And yes, Anders SHOULD play this game.  There is no $$$ buy in or prize for winning so I wouldn't feel slighted in the least if he beat me - if anything it would be more of a honor to be able to beat him.

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted May 28, 2018 - 08:10 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

I thought Glawing's initial post was OK as well.  To me it seemed more "playful" than arrogant.  I also kind of like that there are some aspects of the game that are an unknown.  If every small detail of the game was known then every manager would set up their team the same way, use the same set up, etc.  Part of the fun of the game is figuring out what works best for your team and using it to your advantage.

That being said, I have always wondered about the Left/Right shot and glad it was discovered and posted here.   :)  

I have also wondered about how a teams lines "should" be set up.  Logic tells me that line 1 - 4 should be: Scoring, Two Way, Checking, Energy... in that order.  But again, I'm glad the "answer" to this question is not known because it's very cool that every manager sets up their own team differently.  Note how I used "should" and "answer" as I am not totally sure if there is a correct set up or answer to this. 

And yes, Anders SHOULD play this game.  There is no $$$ buy in or prize for winning so I wouldn't feel slighted in the least if he beat me - if anything it would be more of a honor to be able to beat him.

I've seen a variety of line-up roll outs. Usually, at least in Lumber, 3-4 scoring lines are not uncommon in Lumber, or 2 scoring lines and 2 two-way lines. Rarely, if ever, do I see ever teams use energy or checking lines (although I use them often).

Posted May 29, 2018 - 05:34 AM

HurjaHerra

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

Have there ever been a developer that haven't played their own game?

Posted May 30, 2018 - 02:51 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Nice discussion afterwards! 

Anders - it is obviously OK if you don't want to say all the secrets in the game engine code. And obviously the developers need to play the game with all the pluses and minuses (extra knowledge, but being target for many to beat... haha) - mostly to be able to see how it works.

On the other hand, it is not clear what staff members do. To me, this is still your masterpiece, yours and only (and the game page says that as well - © 2014-2018 Anders Granberg). I understand the team needs to expand and I'm glad there are people like Tobias who are active in responding on the forum. But being "super secret" about something that has been already posted and explained on this forum is kind of annoying. 

And everything does not matter - there are many things that have not been implemented in the game or things that are not connected in the game.

It's great if managers are trying to discover by themselves, but some basic information needs to be available and to me, this is kind of lacking right now - in the beginnings there was tutorial with hints on each page that you could turn on and off in the settings. This I can't find anymore -  probably because I'm already experienced manager. But the game is evolving a lot and changed enormously since Prototype, so a lot of my knowledge might be outdated. There is help section on this forum, but I was never able to find anything relevant to me there - most I know, some I disagree with and most lacks details I would like to know. And to discover some hidden effects of the game engine, you need large statistic of data (games played with some tactics and players information) - that is not possible to get as only very few managers are in this game and games are not stored for previous seasons. For example I recall very detailed studies about secrets of the game engine in Hattrick when it had almost 1M managers - because that game stores information about all the games played and all the tactics, player "properties", so if you have time, you can make study including thousands, millions of games and players - that is not possible in here, so many managers just wildly guess and have no opportunity to back up the guesses with data.

Posted May 30, 2018 - 04:58 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

I will add that for the past two seasons, to get around the lack of data (which is ironic for such a data laden game!), I've developed my own spreadsheets.  However, the more I study, I think the dumber I get....  

Posted May 30, 2018 - 09:45 AM

littleb

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa

I will add that for the past two seasons, to get around the lack of data (which is ironic for such a data laden game!), I've developed my own spreadsheets.  However, the more I study, I think the dumber I get....  

Yeah me too, this is why we need export functions on almost everything  ;)

Posted May 30, 2018 - 09:50 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

the more I study, I think the dumber I get....  

So true!

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted May 30, 2018 - 01:16 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

I do think getting an official game guide from Anders or Glawing would be pretty beneficial and of great help to most players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users