Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationPennsylvania
So I may be prematurely asking this, but regardless it's info I am curious about and will need in the future..
I anticipate being promoted to the ihl soon, so what advice would you give as far as team moves when you get promoted.
I feel like you're at such a disadvantage when you get promoted that you have a very high probability of being relegated the next season.
Thanks,

Posted May 07, 2018 - 11:07 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
Reset your entire team. That's the secret. Scout rosters ahead of time and see what ratings are needed to be competitive. Keep those guys only and release the rest before the season ends. If you have folks already signed to new deals and are not competitive, assign them to your affiliate and/or trade them.

Some people like to keep their players and stick with them, but the truth is most game worlds suffer from high rating inflation, which makes keeping old rosters difficult.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted May 08, 2018 - 07:42 AM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

Use that increased cap space and go wild in free agency. Also, if you want to push it, you can try to acquire some established players with draft picks.

Posted May 08, 2018 - 10:11 AM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

That's right, guys... But the most important things are prayers!  :cool:  :D

I stayed only one season in Howitzer's ghl...

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted May 08, 2018 - 10:19 AM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Use that increased cap space and go wild in free agency. Also, if you want to push it, you can try to acquire some established players with draft picks.

This. I did better in the SHL because I used my draft picks to get GHL-level players, and if you are lucky, you can find some old guys in free agency that are above your league level too and come cheap. Don't be afraid to trade draft picks. Your focus should be on promotion until the GHL anyways.

You can be competitive, just make sure your guys aren't below the league level and be aggressive with player acquisition. 

Posted May 08, 2018 - 01:02 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Another thing - If you like building spreadsheets, build one and list out free agents and outgoing contracts you want to target. For outgoing contracts from foreign non-playable teams, you can target them early by offering them contracts once the deadline closes before the playoffs. I use spreadsheets to help build my teams, it might be useful for you as well, especially if you have a specific type of player or system that you prefer. 

Edit - Forgot to add, any cap penalties will clear after you promote, so you can release players on multi-year deals before the season flips.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted May 13, 2018 - 04:57 AM

zinnyzxx

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationPennsylvania

Another thing - If you like building spreadsheets, build one and list out free agents and outgoing contracts you want to target. For outgoing contracts from foreign non-playable teams, you can target them early by offering them contracts once the deadline closes before the playoffs. I use spreadsheets to help build my teams, it might be useful for you as well, especially if you have a specific type of player or system that you prefer. 

Edit - Forgot to add, any cap penalties will clear after you promote, so you can release players on multi-year deals before the season flips.

Thanks, I didn't know that last part.
I've never done spreadsheets, nor do I know what all that entails. Any advice for me, I wouldn't mind going a little crazy in depth for the game

Posted May 13, 2018 - 11:52 AM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Thanks, I didn't know that last part.
I've never done spreadsheets, nor do I know what all that entails. Any advice for me, I wouldn't mind going a little crazy in depth for the game

I keep them pretty simple to keep track of their ratings and how likely they are to fit into your system, which is more or less a guestimate based off their skills and comparative fit your tactics. I'm not that great at spreadsheets either, but it works for me at least.

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:02 PM

sonstone

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Helpful

Reset your entire team. That's the secret. Scout rosters ahead of time and see what ratings are needed to be competitive. Keep those guys only and release the rest before the season ends. If you have folks already signed to new deals and are not competitive, assign them to your affiliate and/or trade them.
Some people like to keep their players and stick with them, but the truth is most game worlds suffer from high rating inflation, which makes keeping old rosters difficult.

Good stuff ET2018. Did you learn all of that through trial and error, or did someone help you with advice?

You forgot about the part where you ask one of the GHL managers to loan you players though:
"Season 41, day 1, Eric T wrote:
By the way, if you are interested, we could potentially discuss doing a "gentleman's agreement" for one of your early 20s defenders. Basically, you would "loan" one out to me for this season. And at the end of the season, I would trade him back to you. Probably a dumb idea, and is more or less based on the idea of me promoting, but something I thought of."

---

And the part where you ask them to hold a 95ovr. goalie in their affiliate, so you can trade for him next season:
"Season 41, day 25, Eric T wrote:
If you want, you could keep him until the end of the season and I'll send a 2nd rounder your way once I promote (knock on wood)."

"Day 29
My job gets a lot harder if you gift two elite goalies to two potential competitors within 24 hours...."

---

And the part where you whine about not getting your way:
"As for the trade...like I said, I asked you nicely twice if you could wait, and then you do a trade with another team anyways. Wouldn't you feel jiffed?"

---

And the part where you harass people with trade offers, then toss around insults when they ask you to leave them alone:
"RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE

Sorry, I was being a dick. I don't have anything personal against you of course. Let's just call a truce from here on out. I'll leave you alone if you want, but I just don't you trying to torpedo my teambuilding in the GHL. 

----------------
Season 41, day 52, Lee Roy wrote:
Leave me alone!

----------------
Season 41, day 52, Eric T wrote:
It's unfair, don't you think? But you are like a petulant child, so I don't expect you to give a logical explanation. 

----------------
I don't owe you an explanation for any trade I make. But, just to remind you... we already went over how players on waivers have poor trade value. I also had the only waiver request in. So, yeah... leave me alone.

----------------
Not to mention that fact that you just exploited the CPU again by trading a third round pick for a 95 overall.

----------------
Let's recap...
1. You publicly accused me of cheating for the same type of trades you take advantage of now.
2. I extended a warm welcome, and all sorts of advice to you.
3. We make some trades that help your team.
4. You whine and complain because I make trades that don't include you.
5. You send me crappy trade offers.

It would be great if you just left me alone. I promise to return the favor."

---

Anyway, like I said to start... good stuff.

Cheers,
Lee

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:34 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Good stuff ET2018. Did you learn all of that through trial and error, or did someone help you with advice?
You forgot about the part where you ask one of the GHL managers to loan you players though:
"Season 41, day 1, Eric T wrote:
By the way, if you are interested, we could potentially discuss doing a "gentleman's agreement" for one of your early 20s defenders. Basically, you would "loan" one out to me for this season. And at the end of the season, I would trade him back to you. Probably a dumb idea, and is more or less based on the idea of me promoting, but something I thought of."
---
And the part where you ask them to hold a 95ovr. goalie in their affiliate, so you can trade for him next season:
"Season 41, day 25, Eric T wrote:
If you want, you could keep him until the end of the season and I'll send a 2nd rounder your way once I promote (knock on wood)."
"Day 29
My job gets a lot harder if you gift two elite goalies to two potential competitors within 24 hours...."
---
And the part where you whine about not getting your way:
"As for the trade...like I said, I asked you nicely twice if you could wait, and then you do a trade with another team anyways. Wouldn't you feel jiffed?"
---
And the part where you harass people with trade offers, then toss around insults when they ask you to leave them alone:
"RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE
Sorry, I was being a dick. I don't have anything personal against you of course. Let's just call a truce from here on out. I'll leave you alone if you want, but I just don't you trying to torpedo my teambuilding in the GHL. 
----------------
Leave me alone!
----------------
It's unfair, don't you think? But you are like a petulant child, so I don't expect you to give a logical explanation. 
----------------
I don't owe you an explanation for any trade I make. But, just to remind you... we already went over how players on waivers have poor trade value. I also had the only waiver request in. So, yeah... leave me alone.
----------------
Not to mention that fact that you just exploited the CPU again by trading a third round pick for a 95 overall.
----------------
Let's recap...
1. You publicly accused me of cheating for the same type of trades you take advantage of now.
2. I extended a warm welcome, and all sorts of advice to you.
3. We make some trades that help your team.
4. You whine and complain because I make trades that don't include you.
5. You send me crappy trade offers.
It would be great if you just left me alone. I promise to return the favor."
---
Anyway, like I said to start... good stuff.
Cheers,
Lee

Thanks for proving me right on the petulant child thing. Also, awesome stuff posting private conversations. Grow up.

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:39 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
Also, very convenient for you to rearrange the part where I apologized but you told me to buzz off anyways. Cheers.

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:50 PM

sonstone

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
My last message is in your inbox, not mine. It was a repeat though, and said, "Leave me alone!"
Also, You have a lot to learn about apologies. Adding the self preservation part kind of ruined the sincerity of the whole thing.
I'll grow up when you learn how to site sources... when you stop asking other teams to cheat for you... and when you stop insulting other users (it ruins the fun). Deal?

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:53 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

My last message is in your inbox, not mine. It was a repeat though, and said, "Leave me alone!"
Also, You have a lot to learn about apologies. Adding the self preservation part kind of ruined the sincerity of the whole thing.
I'll grow up when you learn how to site sources... when you stop asking other teams to cheat for you... and when you stop insulting other users (it ruins the fun). Deal?

You left out the message where insulted me first. Don't try to come for me on the forums without expecting clap back.

Posted May 16, 2018 - 11:58 PM

sonstone

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
Oh. I did insult you once. It was after all of the whining about me trading Becker to another SHL team. You said something about how simulation hockey boosted my ego, and told me to have fun. I responded by saying, "Okay whiney face... you have fun too."

Posted May 17, 2018 - 12:03 AM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Oh. I did insult you once. It was after all of the whining about me trading Becker to another SHL team. You said something about how simulation hockey boosted my ego, and told me to have fun. I responded by saying, "Okay whiney face... you have fun too."

I'm just going to block you and move on. No point in starting a flame war here. I learned the promotion thing by myself and learned the spreadsheet thing somewhere else. I owe you zero "sites" for sources.

Posted May 17, 2018 - 12:05 AM

sonstone

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful
Cheers to you!

Posted May 17, 2018 - 02:28 AM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

:rolleyes:

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted May 18, 2018 - 11:45 PM

zinnyzxx

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationPennsylvania

Cheers to you!

Appreciate you hijacking my post for selfish reasons :)

Posted May 19, 2018 - 01:08 PM

sonstone

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Appreciate you hijacking my post for selfish reasons :)

I sense sarcasm... but I deserve it.
It's clear that I was venting frustrations with another manager instead of trying to help you answer questions about promotion. It must have ruined some of the fun here in the forum. My apologies to you.

Posted May 19, 2018 - 06:05 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 457 posts
  • 15 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Outstanding

As long as you two are done.

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper