Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

It was probably already mentioned here, but it would be great to tweak training of faceoffs skill for centers. I have 21yo center, who is 91 OVR and he has Faceoffs skill of 80, which is by 9 the lowest skill he has. I understand there might be centers not good at Faceoffs, but with this large margin there is only one name for them - wingers!

He is taking plenty of faceoffs and still he train all the other skills faster. At 21yo, he gets like 1 Faceoff skillup per season, so he will never be 99, perhaps not even 90, while he will be otherwise top player. 

And it is similar for many other young centers I have or I saw out there. There are few great faceoff takers, usually very high on draft, but that's like 2 players per draft.

Posted May 03, 2018 - 06:32 AM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

Have You tried different training focus? I've been told that faceoffs should increase by general training.

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted May 03, 2018 - 07:22 AM

Jiihee

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Helpful

I think it is just more realistic that every player cant be 99 in every category. Even if he is a top player there should always be 1 or 2 category where the player cant hit 99.  I don't know if this is a good example but Sidney Crosby 53% Win percentage rank 33 in face-off's. Many think that he is the best player in the world but to be realistic he cant be the best in everything he does. And I personally like this game cause it is meant to be realistic. Just my humble opinion.  But i agree that many centers has low face-off skill, that also lets the good face-off players shine. And this case is same for every manager so i don't really think that anyone is getting any benefits about this situation. 

Posted May 03, 2018 - 04:16 PM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

I'm basically rotation all training focuses, but he received a lot of general for sure.

That is true Jiihee only in limited way. Until very recently it very easy to train players to 95+ OVR (which means many 99 skills) if you started in good age with enough talent. And it looked like Faceoff is either one of the slowest to train or players get lower Faceoff then other skills at beginning (or both). I'm not saying it is a bad thing and it is the same for everyone, but it is a bit frustrating and if the player has really bad faceoff compared to other skills, he should not be listed as center.

Posted May 03, 2018 - 11:58 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • 22 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

It is very slow to train compared to everything else and I have yet to see any training focus change that fact.

Posted May 04, 2018 - 02:44 AM

Wick Schozen

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

The only factor I have seen that influences faceoff training is the amount taken in game. Before the update where the development of a player in the minors was reduced if he felt he was too good for the affiliate team I had my stud center prospect down there and he was averaging something like 15 faceoffs a game. He made drastic improvements that season and it makes sense because wingers don't take faceoffs so that doesn't develop and if you look at the stats of a center with low faceoff ratings I guarantee you he averaged less than 10 faceoffs a game with his junior team. 

Posted May 05, 2018 - 10:21 AM

Erzac

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 6 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

As Crosby was mentioned, another interesting example is Malkin. Obviously a very talented center as well as successful statistically. However his career FO% is 43,6.

Not every center needs to reach a high faceoff rating. Agree on the fact that some centers would be better listed as forwards.

Posted May 09, 2018 - 06:43 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

At least (if this is still valid), there is no penalization on lining center on wing :)

And yes, the problem is that the training speed of faceoffs is correlated with number of faceoffs taken. That makes sense, sure, but it should be faster in juniors and affiliates, because if other skills are trained faster, you will end up with the player I have 91 OVR, all the skills 89+ and 80 Faceoff - you cannot leave such player in affiliate so he can take loads of faceoff, you put him on your team, but if he takes a lot of faceoffs, he will loose a lot of them and your puck possession and chances will decrease. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users