Glawing

Release: Fall 2018 (Just to keep you posted!)

Can I offer a possible suggestion here that might at least ease a lot of the hostility some people are expressing here?

Would it be out of the question to keep the current world open once the reset occurs?  As in, outside of a few bug fixes here and there, leave everything here as it exists open with no new improvements or features?

I don't think that would decrease the number of people who will jump to the new world (as a person who plays EHM in all its various incantations, having the free version did nothing to dissuade me from buying the commercial releases), plus you can keep the All-Star feature open for some extra funds, assuming it results in more income than the upkeep of hardware, etc.

As a newcomer, I'm not interested in paying, at least right now, and I've little interest in the proposed "free league", but I already feel connected to the current league.  It would also make the next 2-3 months still count for something, instead of a waiting game for the inevitable armaggeddon that's going to happen at some as yet unknown time.

Of course, I'm assuming here that the new world isn't going to be placed over top of the current one based on the stated acquiring of new hardware, so if that's incorrect, I'd guess my suggestion isn't possible.

Has this been considered to any level?

General Manager of Armstrong Admirals (IHL)

Not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting the current worlds be kept open and free? That would just eat away from paying subscribers for the new worlds and game re-launch, and that wouldn't be a sound strategy IMO. Some of the game worlds are beyond screwed anyways.

Not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting the current worlds be kept open and free? That would just eat away from paying subscribers for the new worlds and game re-launch, and that wouldn't be a sound strategy IMO. Some of the game worlds are beyond screwed anyways.

Yes, and I doubt it.  I don't think many are going to look at the current world and decide not to go to the updated one because it's still available, especially if, as you say, some of the current are "beyond screwed" (I assume you're referring to bugs and lacking features, specifically? Because while that's pretty much the case, it's still more than playable).  As I said, if you're given the choice between a free, old version of a game that is not being updated and a low-cost, feature-heavy updated version of that same game, most are at least going to consider the latter, and I highly doubt any that wouldn't would take it if the old version is no longer available.

Moreso, it'd be a touch of goodwill towards those of us unable/unwilling to pay for the new release and could be a potential way to keep people around the site while it gets its feet wet.  If the impressions from users are good enough, and payment options are manageable, I could potentially decide to give it a go, personally speaking, but if all I get is a 30-day trial and a really crappy free play option, I'm probably gone completely within a couple days, and I doubt I'm alone.

Perhaps I'm wrong though, and that's just me.  :huh: 

I have to disagree with you Leafsdude.

Your first argument is that people are going to want to play the updated world and that the demand for the "old worlds" will be limited. My counter is that you are asking for it because you want it; if you want it, it's easy to assume that others will want it and that there is a demand for these worlds to stay. You don't need to look any further than this thread in order to find people who are upset that the game will have to cost a couple bucks to play or that a reset is probably going to happen and who would probably stay in the free worlds. And then consider that most players would rather play where most of the community is located and you've got potentially a large amount of players (my guess is the vast majority) that would stick to the current worlds even though they wouldn't have all the cool new features. That kind of situation wouldn't at all address the current reason why the staff want to add a cost to the game; it costs money to make and maintain the game and if they don't break even or better, then is it better (for the staff) to keep this game running or shut it down?

I do have my doubts about how many new players the current trials can attract in order to keep the community big and healthy as people are stingy about small amounts of money, but there's no way to know for sure until everything comes to fruition. I also hope that there will be a way to keep managers around who are unable to pay, whether it be for age or else severe financial hardship, but then how do you verify those types of things? 

Yes, and I doubt it.  I don't think many are going to look at the current world and decide not to go to the updated one because it's still available, especially if, as you say, some of the current are "beyond screwed" (I assume you're referring to bugs and lacking features, specifically? Because while that's pretty much the case, it's still more than playable).  As I said, if you're given the choice between a free, old version of a game that is not being updated and a low-cost, feature-heavy updated version of that same game, most are at least going to consider the latter, and I highly doubt any that wouldn't would take it if the old version is no longer available.

Moreso, it'd be a touch of goodwill towards those of us unable/unwilling to pay for the new release and could be a potential way to keep people around the site while it gets its feet wet.  If the impressions from users are good enough, and payment options are manageable, I could potentially decide to give it a go, personally speaking, but if all I get is a 30-day trial and a really crappy free play option, I'm probably gone completely within a couple days, and I doubt I'm alone.

Perhaps I'm wrong though, and that's just me.  :huh:

I can't buy your argument if you are going to stamp your feet and threaten to leave while saying there are others.

The game will be fine regardless of who decides to pay or leave. Throwing a subtle tantrum just makes you look bad.

I have to disagree with you Leafsdude.

Your first argument is that people are going to want to play the updated world and that the demand for the "old worlds" will be limited. My counter is that you are asking for it because you want it; if you want it, it's easy to assume that others will want it and that there is a demand for these worlds to stay. You don't need to look any further than this thread in order to find people who are upset that the game will have to cost a couple bucks to play or that a reset is probably going to happen and who would probably stay in the free worlds. And then consider that most players would rather play where most of the community is located and you've got potentially a large amount of players (my guess is the vast majority) that would stick to the current worlds even though they wouldn't have all the cool new features. That kind of situation wouldn't at all address the current reason why the staff want to add a cost to the game; it costs money to make and maintain the game and if they don't break even or better, then is it better (for the staff) to keep this game running or shut it down?

I do have my doubts about how many new players the current trials can attract in order to keep the community big and healthy as people are stingy about small amounts of money, but there's no way to know for sure until everything comes to fruition. I also hope that there will be a way to keep managers around who are unable to pay, whether it be for age or else severe financial hardship, but then how do you verify those types of things? 

Your implication here is that people would, for the most part, choose one or the other, and a good percentage will choose the free one.  I'm arguing otherwise; that is, that many will choose both.  Moreso, I'm arguing that most that would choose the free option only would not choose to pay if it's not there (and vice versa).

I can't buy your argument if you are going to stamp your feet and threaten to leave while saying there are others.

The game will be fine regardless of who decides to pay or leave. Throwing a subtle tantrum just makes you look bad.

Subtle tantrum?  Stamping my feet? :confused:

Leafsdude about your suggestion , i dont think that the game owner would want to keep the old leagues and run another game at the same time. It seems to be a problem already to run this one. If they want us to pay is probably to have a better server and pay for it and such things and that would not make sense to have the old game still running where almost nobody will want to contribute. Many might want to quit playing here and just go in the new version or it also could be the opposite and the new version would suffer from it...

Hey Team, just looking to see if there is an updated timeframe for the reboot. Are we talking the end of this Clapper season, the end of Biscuit season, or do we have a few seasons before we see the change? Just trying to calculate strategy for the current leagues. Cheers!

The information about the launch date should be out soon (within a week or so). Anders and Tobias still have few things to do before they can release further information.

(And before you start asking me questions I cannot answer - no I don't know anything more about this either, just wanted to get this out here as some sort of answer.)

I know many are wondering how everything is going and when it’s going to be released.

First, so sorry for the lack of updates lately and thanks for being patient.

We’re working real hard with the upcoming release but personally I haven’t been able to put in as many hours as I wanted the last month, which also reminds me why we’re doing these changes in the first place.

That means that we’re behind schedule and will not be able to launch the release in October as first mentioned. And to not make any promises we can’t fulfill we will now announce that the big release will instead be made in December.

The current game worlds will be open and free to play until mid November. Before then all current players will be given the option to keep their current team name and colors in the new release. A message will be sent both in game and via email once ready.

Thanks again for your patience and I understand if this wasn’t the news you were hoping for. But the release is coming and we’re working as hard as we possible can.

Thank you for the update. 

There seems to be a large number of commenters who want the game to remain free, I can understand your feelings. The problem is that Anders needs money to pay to keep the game up and develop it. If you don't want to have to pay then the only other option that I can see is for you to find ways for Anders to pay for his costs without charging the game players. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm all ears for those ideas.

Thank you for the update. 

There seems to be a large number of commenters who want the game to remain free, I can understand your feelings. The problem is that Anders needs money to pay to keep the game up and develop it. If you don't want to have to pay then the only other option that I can see is for you to find ways for Anders to pay for his costs without charging the game players. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm all ears for those ideas.

As a player, you are the consumer of the entertainment offered. Makes sense you pay for it just like paying at McDonald's for you crappy cheeseburger and a bonus fry. Most of the comments are fairly old by now, so let's keep the subject buried. If the dead horse could die twice from all the beating, it would've done so already.

Interesting thought Deadwing, ignore the customers until they are happy with the product. That is truly unique, thank you for the thought.

I agree with Deadwing, in that the beatdown of this subject is way past Hamburger stages - which for me to say that in regard to a dead horse is like spewing treason as I live in Kentucky...but none the less; Clyde, this subject has been discussed ad nauseam. It isn't disregarding what you're saying...just asking you to get current with the past so we don't have to repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over...BARF!

...I still don't feel the same about the cheeseburger comment, however ;)

My wife is from Kentucky, and I know for a fact you can find excellent burgers there. Much better than the McDonald's, excuse me for the lack of a better word but, crap. :) Just to be clear here, I have absolutely nothing against a tasty burger.  ^_^

By the way, just to get back on topic, please keep the feature where you can change the player number to whatever you want. I know some GM's have said it's a useless feature, but I really like it. I like to give special numbers to my key players... #27 for leading defensemen like Niedermayer.. #8 to well performing snipers a la Ovechkin / Selanne... or #12 like Iginla.. It's just a brilliant feature and I love it.

By the way, just to get back on topic, please keep the feature where you can change the player number to whatever you want. I know some GM's have said it's a useless feature, but I really like it. I like to give special numbers to my key players... #27 for leading defensemen like Niedermayer.. #8 to well performing snipers a la Ovechkin / Selanne... or #12 like Iginla.. It's just a brilliant feature and I love it.

I agree. I number my players like a soccer team (#1 for starting goalie, 2-5 for the best defensemen, etc). It's a nice neature to have.

Yes of course!

You will still be able to change numbers on your players!

Also a big Selanne fan here! ;)

This is good news! I never managed to find a first line center that I've been reserving the number #21 for.. but maybe after the reset I will. There's only one great #21 that I'm aware of, and that's Peter Forsberg of course.

This is good news! I never managed to find a first line center that I've been reserving the number #21 for.. but maybe after the reset I will. There's only one great #21 that I'm aware of, and that's Peter Forsberg of course.

Perhaps you've followed the NHL long enough to recognize the late, great HOF center, Stan Mikita, Chicago Blackhawks, who wore #21...  ;)