Photo

Release: Fall 2018 (Just to keep you posted!)

• Please log in to reply

Posted August 27, 2018 - 04:40 AM

Eric The Great

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Floater

Deadwing to use your terms , depending how lifeless your life is , maybe you wont find the game as entertaining as others do and maybe your 2 bucks wont feel as cheap. This is a very personal thing. 2$ compared to free does make a difference. Some dont have any money to play like some kids who play here and some like me might not want having to pay and lose their team after the update. The game is entertaining but not at the same level for everyone. Some might even find it boring. You know there are some hockey managing games out there where you actually see your players playing the game live. Someone who comes from this type of game might be dissapointed here. There are other free games out there and not everyone want to pay when they can have the possibility to play for free elsewhere. Im not talking about you necessarily but i dont like when i see someone trying to talk for everyone. We dont all think the same way. Otherwise life would be really boring... We always have to think that some are different and not try to speak for everyone and forget those who dont think the same way. I am a bit surprised here that most dont seem to care to lose their actual team after the update. I could be wrong but i did not see much complaints about it. You see for me it is a big dissapointment. I been here for over 30 seasons and i am in GHL and i feel really bad about losing my team i have been building for many seasons. Starting back from scratch is fun for some but not for everyone. It all depends of our experiences and many other things. Some here have won multiple championships season after season. Im sure they dont feel so excited when its the 20th. The guy who wins the first time after a few years of play wont feel the same at all... You see i had the feeling that my team was getting better and that eventually i would win the championship but now with the update i will lose all i been working for and its not cool at all. Never forget that we dont all feel things the same way. It is also not just a matter of money.

Posted August 27, 2018 - 09:53 AM

Red Fox

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Outstanding

Deadwing to use your terms , depending how lifeless your life is , maybe you wont find the game as entertaining as others do and maybe your 2 bucks wont feel as cheap. This is a very personal thing. 2$ compared to free does make a difference. Some dont have any money to play like some kids who play here and some like me might not want having to pay and lose their team after the update. The game is entertaining but not at the same level for everyone. Some might even find it boring. You know there are some hockey managing games out there where you actually see your players playing the game live. Someone who comes from this type of game might be dissapointed here. There are other free games out there and not everyone want to pay when they can have the possibility to play for free elsewhere. Im not talking about you necessarily but i dont like when i see someone trying to talk for everyone. We dont all think the same way. Otherwise life would be really boring... We always have to think that some are different and not try to speak for everyone and forget those who dont think the same way. I am a bit surprised here that most dont seem to care to lose their actual team after the update. I could be wrong but i did not see much complaints about it. You see for me it is a big dissapointment. I been here for over 30 seasons and i am in GHL and i feel really bad about losing my team i have been building for many seasons. Starting back from scratch is fun for some but not for everyone. It all depends of our experiences and many other things. Some here have won multiple championships season after season. Im sure they dont feel so excited when its the 20th. The guy who wins the first time after a few years of play wont feel the same at all... You see i had the feeling that my team was getting better and that eventually i would win the championship but now with the update i will lose all i been working for and its not cool at all. Never forget that we dont all feel things the same way. It is also not just a matter of money.

No use in complaining about it now. Anders already made his decision. Threatening to quit, quitting then coming back, ranting, etc, won't change anything. Don't be cheap.

Posted August 27, 2018 - 01:11 PM

Deadwing

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2018
Rep - Reliable

Man, that's an impressive wall of text.  :blink:  Like I said, two games was too much for me. I still think $2 is just pocket change. If it's too much— move on. When it comes down to the guy running the game needs to make some money vs. pulling the plug, I'll take the former instead of latter at any given time. Pouring all this heartache on me doesn't really change the facts. Maybe you didn't mean it, but sort of quoting me in the beginning of your wall makes it surely seem like it.

Posted August 28, 2018 - 11:37 AM

DSMM

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: April 2018
Rep - Floater

It depends how lifeless your life is. I'm not saying this with any malice, but I did try a normal speed world when I first joined. Two games a day was already way too much for me. I usually missed the other one completely because of work. Slow world is the only good way for me to go. With the prices presented, I feel everybody gets a lot for very little money. My normal MMORPG takes $15 a month, and while these two are not really something to compare, $2 is mere change. Ridiculously cheap for the entertainment this game provides.

I didn't really mean it as a complaint, I was just interested in the economics behind it that might drive someones decision making.  I can certainly afford the $2 (although the Mrs. won't love it lol), its just the accountant in me is intrigued by the costing.  I'm in a two games a day world now and its sometimes a bit much for me to manage to the level of detail I want to with a job and baby and everything so not sure if I bite the bullet and try a fast league or maybe slow it down.

Posted August 28, 2018 - 02:01 PM

littleb

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa

Honestly DSMM, if you find at all that the 2 games a day worlds are too much the 4 games a day will absolutely destroy you.  I play in both and found the same as you, 2 is manageable most times.  4 games is just too much to focus on it, my accountant mind hates the lack of attention i can give it so don't take it too seriously and stay there letting it run 2 or sometimes 3 games in a row without even looking at it.  I can promise you wouldn't be happy with it.  

Posted August 29, 2018 - 01:34 PM

Baden

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Reliable

There is a lot of stuff to read here so forgive me if I'm asking a question thats already been asked... Is PayPal going to be a payment option?

Posted August 29, 2018 - 07:05 PM

Wick Schozen

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Been pretty busy so haven't been very active but trying to keep up. Just wanted to throw out some support. 

I'm extremely excited for the reset. I just think it makes sense since there has been so many improvements to the game engine and player development. Establishing a new baseline just seems logical.

Completely on board with supporting Anders. No one really knows how much time Anders has put into this game but Anders and those helping him develop it. I'm a huge fan of his vision for this an I am happy to see him finally get compensated accordingly. 

I've been a big advocate for those that are committed to this game, the real die hards, are the ones that are going to help move it forward. If that means long time guys leave, well that's the way it has to be. We've been fortunate enough to have been able to play this for free for years now and Anders has even taken measures to try and bring down the price. I think the price should be whatever he feels he needs to develop his vision and if that isn't incentive enough then leave. Everyone that sees this through will be able to reap the rewards of it.

I don't think there has been a single instance where Anders hasn't shown us that he's committed to making this the best user experience possible and that was without compensation. Very excited to see what he can accomplish when this project isn't a financial burden on him and his team. 

-Wick

Posted September 01, 2018 - 12:33 AM

Eric The Great

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Floater

No use in complaining about it now. Anders already made his decision. Threatening to quit, quitting then coming back, ranting, etc, won't change anything. Don't be cheap.

I did not threat about leaving. I said i will leave in another message. Im waiting for the update to leave because i dont want to lose my team and have to pay to start from scratch. Thats what makes me quit because losing my team i been building for many seasons. Money is not the only thing. We dont think all the same way and thats what i wanted to say. Some here seem to think they are the only ones on the planet or something and that everyone should think the same and they dont respect others and this is very sad. Isolating others that dont think the same does not help at all and just make things even worse. I think everyones opinion is important and personally i wanted to share what i think even if its not what the majority might think and i could just not care and say nothing but this is not how i am. I believe that it also helps to know what those who dont agree think and im not just talking about here in the game but anywhere else too. Thats how you can make things better when trying to include everyone.

Posted September 01, 2018 - 02:20 AM

Red Fox

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
You said your last message would be your final communication...

Posted September 01, 2018 - 08:34 AM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Some here seem to think they are the only ones on the planet or something and that everyone should think the same...

Little bit of irony here...

You're not the only one who will be upset that your team will be lost. I'll be upset and I know others will be as well, I mean I've had my slow world team for about 2 years now and brought it from the LIHL to the GHL and have even managed to win a cup one season and finish 1st the next. 

However, the more I think about it, the more I agree with the reset. I've known for a long time the consensus was that prospects were too strong and creating too many superstars. That seems to have finally been fixed but without a reset would continue influencing (slow) worlds for another 4 to 5 real years, potentially more. That's not fair for the newer GHL teams. Plus since there won't be as many stars coming up and most vets still don't degrade soon enough, stronger teams won't have any reason to make any moves as they will likely just make their teams weaker. That would make the game stale and also create less communication between players.

It's going to be heartbreaking, especially for the managers who've just barely come short. Fortunately, resets almost never happen and happen less and less as the game gets updated and fixed.

Posted September 03, 2018 - 08:25 PM

Leafsdude

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: August 2018
Rep - Floater
  • LocationCanada

Can I offer a possible suggestion here that might at least ease a lot of the hostility some people are expressing here?

Would it be out of the question to keep the current world open once the reset occurs?  As in, outside of a few bug fixes here and there, leave everything here as it exists open with no new improvements or features?

I don't think that would decrease the number of people who will jump to the new world (as a person who plays EHM in all its various incantations, having the free version did nothing to dissuade me from buying the commercial releases), plus you can keep the All-Star feature open for some extra funds, assuming it results in more income than the upkeep of hardware, etc.

As a newcomer, I'm not interested in paying, at least right now, and I've little interest in the proposed "free league", but I already feel connected to the current league.  It would also make the next 2-3 months still count for something, instead of a waiting game for the inevitable armaggeddon that's going to happen at some as yet unknown time.

Of course, I'm assuming here that the new world isn't going to be placed over top of the current one based on the stated acquiring of new hardware, so if that's incorrect, I'd guess my suggestion isn't possible.

Has this been considered to any level?

General Manager of Armstrong Admirals (IHL)

Posted September 03, 2018 - 10:21 PM

Red Fox

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting the current worlds be kept open and free? That would just eat away from paying subscribers for the new worlds and game re-launch, and that wouldn't be a sound strategy IMO. Some of the game worlds are beyond screwed anyways.

Posted September 04, 2018 - 12:11 AM

Leafsdude

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Floater
  • LocationCanada

Not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting the current worlds be kept open and free? That would just eat away from paying subscribers for the new worlds and game re-launch, and that wouldn't be a sound strategy IMO. Some of the game worlds are beyond screwed anyways.

Yes, and I doubt it.  I don't think many are going to look at the current world and decide not to go to the updated one because it's still available, especially if, as you say, some of the current are "beyond screwed" (I assume you're referring to bugs and lacking features, specifically? Because while that's pretty much the case, it's still more than playable).  As I said, if you're given the choice between a free, old version of a game that is not being updated and a low-cost, feature-heavy updated version of that same game, most are at least going to consider the latter, and I highly doubt any that wouldn't would take it if the old version is no longer available.

Moreso, it'd be a touch of goodwill towards those of us unable/unwilling to pay for the new release and could be a potential way to keep people around the site while it gets its feet wet.  If the impressions from users are good enough, and payment options are manageable, I could potentially decide to give it a go, personally speaking, but if all I get is a 30-day trial and a really crappy free play option, I'm probably gone completely within a couple days, and I doubt I'm alone.

Perhaps I'm wrong though, and that's just me.  :huh: 

Posted September 04, 2018 - 01:01 AM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I have to disagree with you Leafsdude.

Your first argument is that people are going to want to play the updated world and that the demand for the "old worlds" will be limited. My counter is that you are asking for it because you want it; if you want it, it's easy to assume that others will want it and that there is a demand for these worlds to stay. You don't need to look any further than this thread in order to find people who are upset that the game will have to cost a couple bucks to play or that a reset is probably going to happen and who would probably stay in the free worlds. And then consider that most players would rather play where most of the community is located and you've got potentially a large amount of players (my guess is the vast majority) that would stick to the current worlds even though they wouldn't have all the cool new features. That kind of situation wouldn't at all address the current reason why the staff want to add a cost to the game; it costs money to make and maintain the game and if they don't break even or better, then is it better (for the staff) to keep this game running or shut it down?

I do have my doubts about how many new players the current trials can attract in order to keep the community big and healthy as people are stingy about small amounts of money, but there's no way to know for sure until everything comes to fruition. I also hope that there will be a way to keep managers around who are unable to pay, whether it be for age or else severe financial hardship, but then how do you verify those types of things? 

Posted September 04, 2018 - 11:47 AM

Red Fox

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Yes, and I doubt it.  I don't think many are going to look at the current world and decide not to go to the updated one because it's still available, especially if, as you say, some of the current are "beyond screwed" (I assume you're referring to bugs and lacking features, specifically? Because while that's pretty much the case, it's still more than playable).  As I said, if you're given the choice between a free, old version of a game that is not being updated and a low-cost, feature-heavy updated version of that same game, most are at least going to consider the latter, and I highly doubt any that wouldn't would take it if the old version is no longer available.

Moreso, it'd be a touch of goodwill towards those of us unable/unwilling to pay for the new release and could be a potential way to keep people around the site while it gets its feet wet.  If the impressions from users are good enough, and payment options are manageable, I could potentially decide to give it a go, personally speaking, but if all I get is a 30-day trial and a really crappy free play option, I'm probably gone completely within a couple days, and I doubt I'm alone.

Perhaps I'm wrong though, and that's just me.  :huh:

I can't buy your argument if you are going to stamp your feet and threaten to leave while saying there are others.

The game will be fine regardless of who decides to pay or leave. Throwing a subtle tantrum just makes you look bad.

Posted September 04, 2018 - 04:13 PM

Leafsdude

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Floater
  • LocationCanada

I have to disagree with you Leafsdude.

Your first argument is that people are going to want to play the updated world and that the demand for the "old worlds" will be limited. My counter is that you are asking for it because you want it; if you want it, it's easy to assume that others will want it and that there is a demand for these worlds to stay. You don't need to look any further than this thread in order to find people who are upset that the game will have to cost a couple bucks to play or that a reset is probably going to happen and who would probably stay in the free worlds. And then consider that most players would rather play where most of the community is located and you've got potentially a large amount of players (my guess is the vast majority) that would stick to the current worlds even though they wouldn't have all the cool new features. That kind of situation wouldn't at all address the current reason why the staff want to add a cost to the game; it costs money to make and maintain the game and if they don't break even or better, then is it better (for the staff) to keep this game running or shut it down?

I do have my doubts about how many new players the current trials can attract in order to keep the community big and healthy as people are stingy about small amounts of money, but there's no way to know for sure until everything comes to fruition. I also hope that there will be a way to keep managers around who are unable to pay, whether it be for age or else severe financial hardship, but then how do you verify those types of things? 

Your implication here is that people would, for the most part, choose one or the other, and a good percentage will choose the free one.  I'm arguing otherwise; that is, that many will choose both.  Moreso, I'm arguing that most that would choose the free option only would not choose to pay if it's not there (and vice versa).

I can't buy your argument if you are going to stamp your feet and threaten to leave while saying there are others.

The game will be fine regardless of who decides to pay or leave. Throwing a subtle tantrum just makes you look bad.

Subtle tantrum?  Stamping my feet? :confused:

Posted September 15, 2018 - 12:16 AM

Eric The Great

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Floater

Leafsdude about your suggestion , i dont think that the game owner would want to keep the old leagues and run another game at the same time. It seems to be a problem already to run this one. If they want us to pay is probably to have a better server and pay for it and such things and that would not make sense to have the old game still running where almost nobody will want to contribute. Many might want to quit playing here and just go in the new version or it also could be the opposite and the new version would suffer from it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users