Photo

Release: Fall 2018 (Just to keep you posted!)

• Please log in to reply

Posted July 25, 2018 - 12:47 PM

Mocha

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2018
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCalgary

So that means that important decisions like this are taken by those having All Star accounts and not by the whole community? 

These are your words and anyone reading them only is going to see it as you feeling like you should get a vote when you absolutely can have one all you have to do is support the game. In the focus group it is not a problem be it difference of opinion or debate and thats not why I was pissed off because those things are necessary to move the game forward. I respect everyone's opinion about the game, I just have a problem that this wasn't an idea, it was a question as to why those that pay are invited to the focus group and those that don't aren't invited. This wasn't an idea to make the game better, it was you getting at why, when you don't want to or can't pay (respectfully), that there shouldn't be a focus group all together and that it should all just become public without you thinking of the challenges of that in the first place and instead just wondering why you can't vote hence why I said it was self driven. By all means share your opinions about the game, everyone should regardless, but don't discredit those who pay for the sole purpose of moving the game forward by making someone such as myself feel like the money I and others spend isn't worth something when in fact in is the reason the game we all love is improving like it is in the first place. That is the only issue here, not the difference of opinion on something like the reset.

Posted July 25, 2018 - 12:47 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

So that means that important decisions like this are taken by those having All Star accounts and not by the whole community? 

Actually, no.  Certain topics were voted on.  There was never a vote for this topic, it was more of a discussion.  Anders is simply asking for opinions to determine what is in the best interest of the game long-term.  Nothing has been decided yet.  When information is available, Anders and the mods will notify everyone.

I have no stake in this whatsoever, just figured I'd share these facts to avoid the back and forth that has been happening.

Posted July 25, 2018 - 01:40 PM

Eric Welsh

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: May 2018
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationBritish Columbia

I always figured I was participating by posting suggestions when I think of them.

It'd be nice to be invited to a focus group, but I don't mind that I'm not. I trust that when myself or someone else posts a suggestion on the board, it is being brought up with the game designers and focus group and given due consideration.

Posted July 25, 2018 - 03:01 PM

Gator Raid

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Reliable
I would just like some kind of record attached to my manager profile like Jack said. In 19 seasons as GM of the Unity Fire Dogs I have 7 cups and 11 regular season titles, and am very proud of it. I would like for that to stay with me as recognition of my accomplishments, and I know many other managers would like that too.

Posted July 25, 2018 - 03:02 PM

Haradrim

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Helpful

I can't help it that you stubbornly stick to the same position, misreading what I write. How you got from "important decisions like this" to me making a case about focus groups is really beyond me. I have nothing against the existence of focus groups and the work they do for the good of the community. I am also obviously aware of the existence of "Suggestions" thread. So please stop insisting that you know what the real problem is when somebody wants to start a discussion that you don't like.

All I was and am saying is, again, that important decisions should be made taking into consideration the whole community. It's an opinion and I am not in any way trying to impose it. I admit arguments against it, if they are really part of the dialogue. Your aggresivity is not helpful. I am not accusing you of anything and I am not pretending that I know what is really behind what you say.

These are your words and anyone reading them only is going to see it as you feeling like you should get a vote when you absolutely can have one all you have to do is support the game. In the focus group it is not a problem be it difference of opinion or debate and thats not why I was pissed off because those things are necessary to move the game forward. I respect everyone's opinion about the game, I just have a problem that this wasn't an idea, it was a question as to why those that pay are invited to the focus group and those that don't aren't invited. This wasn't an idea to make the game better, it was you getting at why, when you don't want to or can't pay (respectfully), that there shouldn't be a focus group all together and that it should all just become public without you thinking of the challenges of that in the first place and instead just wondering why you can't vote hence why I said it was self driven. By all means share your opinions about the game, everyone should regardless, but don't discredit those who pay for the sole purpose of moving the game forward by making someone such as myself feel like the money I and others spend isn't worth something when in fact in is the reason the game we all love is improving like it is in the first place. That is the only issue here, not the difference of opinion on something like the reset.

Posted July 25, 2018 - 03:04 PM

Haradrim

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2016
Rep - Helpful

Many thanks for the answer. I am glad you didn't feel attacked by my question.

From my point of view this closes the discussion in a civilised manner. As it should.

Actually, no.  Certain topics were voted on.  There was never a vote for this topic, it was more of a discussion.  Anders is simply asking for opinions to determine what is in the best interest of the game long-term.  Nothing has been decided yet.  When information is available, Anders and the mods will notify everyone.

I have no stake in this whatsoever, just figured I'd share these facts to avoid the back and forth that has been happening.

Posted July 25, 2018 - 05:29 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 457 posts
  • 15 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I always figured I was participating by posting suggestions when I think of them.

It'd be nice to be invited to a focus group, but I don't mind that I'm not. I trust that when myself or someone else posts a suggestion on the board, it is being brought up with the game designers and focus group and given due consideration.

For the record, suggestions posted in the Suggestions forum are very much considered by Anders and Tobias.  Some of these suggestions have already been implemented, while other suggestions will be implemented in the future.  Granted, not all suggestions make the cut, but this should by no means discourage anybody.  Please keep posting suggestions!

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | SHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

Posted July 25, 2018 - 09:45 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

For the record, I feel I should apologize for using the words vote instead of discussion as that's what happened. I just thought to answer a question with the current consensus in the focus group section.

Posted July 25, 2018 - 11:17 PM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

All I was and am saying is, again, that important decisions should be made taking into consideration the whole community

Important, nonimportant and basically all decision have been, are and will be only on Anders. (and probably Glawing too, I don't know how much exactly he's involved in decisions but I'm sure he knows about all Anders plans) It's his game, he's giving it to the whole community for free and he can do anything he wants. 

Focus group was created as testing crew for people who really care about the game (that's shown by financial support). Anders got concentrate and diverse sample of the community and used us to immediate feedback about his thoughts and plans. We have no participation on making any decisions and know about like 1% more information than You who aren't in this focus group.

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted July 26, 2018 - 03:55 AM

Balazs

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationHungary

Hi!

I don't want to look completely obtuse, but I would like to ask what the world reset means?

I will start from a lower division with a complete new roster? I need to choose a new team?

Posted July 26, 2018 - 04:37 AM

Glawing

GamePlanHockey Support Team

• Moderators
  • 153 posts
  • 8 thanks
    GM Since: November 2016
Rep - Outstanding
Just to calm the situation and give some info!

We will soon announce some big news about the game here in the forums. We apologize for the late answers and feedback to everyone but here in Sweden we do have holidays and vacation right now which make everything going a bit slower than usual.

Have patience a couple of more days and everyone should be getting all info needed.

Keep enjoying the game and community while waiting.

//Tobias

Thanked by 1 Member:

Posted July 31, 2018 - 09:21 AM

zinnyzxx

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationPennsylvania

Hi!

I don't want to look completely obtuse, but I would like to ask what the world reset means?

I will start from a lower division with a complete new roster? I need to choose a new team?

From what I understand, the game would practically reset in every way. We would all choose new teams, and start over. I think this will likely happen.

However Devs, I agree that in the event of a full reset, it would be great to have some kind of win loss record of what we accomplished in the old game, just for the sake of not deleting what we've done.

Posted August 07, 2018 - 07:40 AM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
I'm a bit behind on this conversation but here we go...

I've been around this great game for a hot minute and while I wish I could financially contribute, those cards are not in my deck right now. I'm thus not in the focus group - which I completely understand and agree with. I consider the focus group as a form of investor board meeting. As I currently don't have stock, I'm not at the round table...makes sense.

Is it hard to build a team and have it disappear. I took my current Clapper team from the IHL to the GHL and have a solid group of young guys to build on (although we are sucking at them moment) but I'm ok with a new start because the reset would allow even playing ground for everyone. Through many changes in player development etc. the game has seen swings of all sorts which benefit some and hinder others. This will create an even slate and a solid foundation.

I have also given lots of ideas to the suggestions section but honestly, I don't expect that all of them be considered or employed. Shoot, once I made a suggestion that the use of PEDs be allowed and also include suspensions when random drug screenings find the culprits...that's probably never going to be implemented (ha!)...and for good reason!

Lastly, no, I did not vote or discuss this reset or change but as I'm playing this game for FREE, what complaint do I get to offer? That's like telling a stranger off for giving you free tickets to a pro hockey match because you found out they were in the nose bleed section. It's just silly.

Thank you guys for your hard work once more.

All I have to say - you guys better not go out there and steal my team names when the reset happens otherwise the original 'Slaughterville' will live up to their names!!!

Posted August 07, 2018 - 04:16 PM

GamePlanHockey

Lead Developer, Game Plan Hockey Manager

• Moderators
  • 1403 posts
  • 149 thanks
    GM Since: January 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationSweden

Thanks for all feedback guys!

I have now finally finished a new blog post that will hopefully shed some light over the upcoming release this fall.

The blog post is divided into two parts:

Part 1 - The features

Part 2 - The business

And here's a sneak peak of the new design (work in progress). (Also available in the blog post)

http://www.gameplanh...ts/fall2018.png

Posted August 07, 2018 - 05:56 PM

ET2018

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Really excited about the new release, and hopefully the susbcription requirement will keep the trolls and cheaters away. Keep up the good work guys!

Posted August 07, 2018 - 07:29 PM

CCRenegades

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationCanada
I was excited about the new release. As one of the longest tenured members here, I can say it’s been a pleasure to watch the game grow. Definitely. But charging all people to play the game is going to drive WAY more people away than draw people in. In my opinion (and I don’t know the finances) there has to be a better way to do this (I have no problem with Ad revenue and all star accounts) Personally, (and maybe I’m not as into it as others or I just get bored easily) it’s not worth it to pay for a game that frankly, there isn’t much to do daily besides change Goalies or decline trades for your best players. Maybe if the simulation was faster (back to three hours) or create private worlds where a commissioner can manually simulate idk. Maybe this sounds harsh? Idk. Anders knows I’ve been incredibly loyal to this game for literally years (4 years? Idk). I love some of the new features though.

Just some criticism
-CCRenegades

Posted August 07, 2018 - 08:13 PM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I have conflicting feelings about the game becoming a subscription. My biggest concern would be community; how will you keep the community active and attracting new members when others inevitably eventually stop playing? People for whatever reason get meticulous when they spend very small amounts of money. Long-term members should probably be open to spending a couple bucks on this game, but why should new members? Sure you are offering a 30 day trial, but is that enough. If it goes by real world days, 30 days is nothing on slower worlds. If a person were to join near the end of the season, 1/3 of their trial (actually more with the new playoff format) will be the manager just watching other teams. That's not that interesting for a new guy who just joined a league and world. Personally, I need to build my team and get attached to it before I get interested into something, and by extension, the other teams who are also competing. To extend that same example, the manager would only just barely get to then build his team the next season and not get to see how it might perform. A different example is if a new manager joined a team not long after the start of the season, that manager wouldn't get to experience most of the big features that the game has to offer before the trial is up.

It wouldn't be an issue on faster worlds, but not everybody is attracted to the fast worlds. My quick suggestion for the trial would be to instead guarantee 1 full season from start to finish. And if the manager joins a bit late, give him that extra (likely half season) time as a bonus trial, I see it as a non-issue as I think the important thing is a manager being able to experience a full season. Plus due to the nature of the promotion system, even if they win their first season, it's impossible to have won it all and should help develop an appetite to climb the leagues and rankings.

Before I start to accidentally write an entire essay, I'll just end it and say: I'm not against a mandatory subscription fee, but I think that just maintaining an active community will have to become priority #1.

Posted August 07, 2018 - 08:39 PM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding
I agree with both of you (ET & CC) in that I'm really excited about what you guys are producing and I do feel it is worth asking for some change to cover your costs because I know as an artist that doing what you love is great but becoming poor in lieu of it sucks. You guys are worth the time you put in this.

On the other hand I do see what CcRenegades is saying also: I got here 7 months after him and love playing the game. If I didn't have two kiddos and a mountain of student debt I'd be in a different situation. $4 a month isn't much but it's enough that I do need to evaluate a few things.

Either way, I love what you guys are doing. Cheers.

Posted August 07, 2018 - 09:38 PM

xZhou

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

On another note, I'm not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but I couldn't find any mention of a North American-style league on the blog post?

I recall there was a lot of interest in this a few months ago and I think it'd help bring something new to the table as well - not sure if this is something planned for the fall release or just later down the line?

Posted August 08, 2018 - 02:52 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Those look like bigger changes than I expected.

Let me comment on the new features as I'm not in the focus group.

Design - I think the current design is nice and modern, the new one looks obviously great, but maybe it was not needed to put the time into making new design. 

New league system - both increased number of teams and new playoff format sound great I think this was needed a lot. Looks like a good balance. Now its time to get as many human manager as possible, as world with less than 50% of human managers will be, on some levels, boring as hell...

Inbox/Messaging - yes, that was already a must even before the new update. You really should make it for the fall update!

New database - this sounds also great! As are other features like jersey editor or tweaks to player development and potential. 

Relaunch - I think it is sad to restart the worlds completely, but I understand it has to be done as the database would not work and old teams might cause a lot of problems. I like the options to offer moving team name, colors, manager history record to the same league level of the same speed world after relaunch - how this will be done? You will send a message (email?) and wait one week for answer to do it for the user manually or this will done automatically by user when he first time logs in into new game?

Business - Yes, I completely agree this game needs to go to green numbers and pay you for the hours you spent developing it. 

Shaka Productions - I have tried to google it and nothing relevant came up. Weird? What I mean is that this game needs is a big promotion - articles in hockey related sites and so on. or partnering with a big player in the field. Partnering with friend is obviously ok, but for a real business I think you need even a bigger step...

pay to win - I'm with you, this can never be a pay-to-win game. But on the other hand I think this game should still offer free playing. I think that all star account is good way how to make money - you just need to expand to have thousands of users instead hundreds, which will make hundreds of paying users instead tens of them...

I will obviously pay as I really like this game and 3.50$/month sounds reasonable to me, but on the other hand I can see large % (like ~50%) of current users not paying that and quitting, which will still give you more money than current all-stars, but it will leave the worlds half-empty and boring on lower levels, so boring for newcommers and thus very few new users that will stay after the free trial. I hope I'm wrong, but I see that as this will mean an end to this game. I'm not kidding about this. 

30 days free trial is not enough for slow worlds - with 80 games per regular season and 5 games playoff series, the 30 days is not even 1/3 of the season. 

Anyway, it is your decision to go this way and I understand, but in that case I can't say it louder - YOU NEED MORE USERS to keep the leagues full and the game alive (plus it will bring you more money to possibly do this full-time). You need to promote the game at various places, sites that writes about NHL or about hockey fantasy. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users