Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationPennsylvania
So I've gathered that the bottom 2, and top 2,get relegated and promoted respectively. However I've seen other gm's say they got relegated through the playoffs.
I've searched but I haven't been able to find any info on how the whole promotion and relegate works.
Any info?

Posted April 15, 2018 - 12:01 PM

MattBerserkers

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

It's exactly as you have said. Top 2 teams are automatically promoted, and then the next top 4 (next top 8 in the LIHL) teams play in some playoffs for a chance at promotion. The top 2 teams take over the 2 automatic relegation spots; the two winners of the playoffs then play the 2 teams in a relegation "playoff" spot, the winners get promoted/ get to stay in the higher league.

In summary, every season there are 2 teams that automatically promoted and a playoffs to give 2 more teams a chance at promotion.

Posted April 15, 2018 - 07:40 PM

zinnyzxx

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationPennsylvania
So if I understand you correctly, the top 2 teams in the playoffs play the bottom 2 teams in the higher league?

Posted April 16, 2018 - 12:00 AM

Gator Raid

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Rep - Reliable
No, the team placed 1/2 in the lower league get automatically promoted and 15/16 (or whatever the bottom two teams are in the specific leagues) get automatically relegated. Then teams 8-4 play in playoffs. The top two teams from those playoffs play teams 14/13, if they can manage to beat them in a playoff series, they get promoted but if they lose then the higher league keeps their spot.

Hope this helped,
Gator

Posted April 16, 2018 - 12:41 AM

MattBerserkers

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

No, the team placed 1/2 in the lower league get automatically promoted and 15/16 (or whatever the bottom two teams are in the specific leagues) get automatically relegated. Then teams 8-4 play in playoffs. The top two teams from those playoffs play teams 14/13, if they can manage to beat them in a playoff series, they get promoted but if they lose then the higher league keeps their spot.

Hope this helped,
Gator

You got a couple numbers off, so I'll just write it out.

EDIT: THE FORMAT OF GAME WORLDS HAVE BEEN CHANGED, AND WHILE THIS IS NO LONGER EXACTLY CORRECT, ITS STILL ROUGHLY RIGHT. CHANGES INCLUDE THAT THERE IS NOW A COPPER LEAGUE BETWEEN THE IHL AND BHL. LEAGUES HAVE ALSO BEEN DOUBLED IN SIZE CREATING AN EASTERN AND WESTERN CONFERENCE. THE TWO CONFERENCES WILL FACE EACH OTHER DURING REGULAR SEASON, HOWEVER WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE GHL, WILL PLAY PLAYOFF GAMES EXCLUSIVELY AGAINST THEIR OWN CONFERENCE.

PLAYOFF/RELEGATION CHANGES:

GHL: TOP 8 TEAMS IN EACH CONFERENCE COMPETE IN THE PLAYOFFS (16 TEAMS IN TOTAL) FOR THE GHL CUP

RELEGATION PLAYOFFS: TEAMS 10 AND 11 IN A CONFERENCE WILL FACE EACH OTHER IN A PLAYOFF SERIES, LOSER IS AUTOMATICALLY RELEGATED

PROMOTION PLAYOFFS: TEAMS 3 TO 5 IN A CONFERENCE WILL FACE EACH OTHER IN A COUPLE PLAYOFF SERIES, WINNER IS AUTOMATICALLY PROMOTED

The leagues in-game now also have a lot more detail and it should be more clear if you go to league page --> playoff tab.

GHL:

1st-8th play playoffs for Golden Cup

9th-12th watch the Golden Cup

13th & 14th are in relegation playoffs, they will match up against a team from SHL playoffs and winners will be in the GHL next season, losers in the SHL

15 & 16th are relegated to SHL

SHL:

1st & 2nd are automatically promoted

3rd - 6th play promotion playoffs

-3rd vs 6th -> winner plays 14th SHL team (I think) for a chance at promotion

-4th vs 5th -> winner plays 13th SHL team

-it's possible that there can be 0 to 2 teams that earn promotion through the promotion playoffs (for a maximum of 4 teams                                                 -promoting and relegating)

7th-12th watch the Golden Cup

13th & 14th are in the relegation playoffs and each match up against a BHL team

15th and 16th are automatically relegated

BHL:

3rd - 6th play promotion playoffs -> the 2 winners then have to play teams 13 and 14 from the SHL

7th - 12th watch the Golden Cup

13th & 14th play in the relegation playoffs and must match up against an IHL team

15th & 16th are automatically relegated

IHL:

3rd-6th play promotion playoffs -> the 2 winners must match up against the BHL relegation playoff teams

7th-10th watch the Golden Cup

11th - 14th do relegation playoffs

-this isn't a situation I've been in nor payed attention too, I'm not sure if there's a mini tournament among themselves and the 2                                           -losers have to play the LIHL playoff winners or if they all have to play LIHL winners. But you should kind of see the pattern of what                                   -is happening now.

15th & 16th are automatically relegated

LIHL:

3rd-10th play in the promotion playoffs

-I've been in this situation before, but it's been so long that I forget exactly how it plays out. It's either all 4 winners play the 4 IHL                                        -relegation playoff teams, or there is an extra round and the 2 winners play the 2 losers of an IHL relegation round

11th-16th watch the Golden Cup

Thanked by 2 Members:

Posted April 16, 2018 - 11:54 AM

Camii663

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationSarnia canada

Steam Profile

This should be on the sure somewhere to look at I had no clue the first couple years I played

Posted April 16, 2018 - 05:46 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 558 posts
  • 19 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Promotion/Relegation rules have been brought up before, but I like Matt's detailed post.  I went ahead and pinned this topic.

Thanks Matt! :)

Posted April 16, 2018 - 06:35 PM

zinnyzxx

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • 1 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationPennsylvania
Thanks Matt, that post was very concise and easy to understand

Posted April 16, 2019 - 02:59 AM

bouncer

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: March 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationCzech Republic

Ok, I have been in the past too long in GHL, so I don't know how the promotion works. I understand the fact about positions and playoffs, but I'm not sure what happens with players:

- with no clause

- with 1W clause

- with PC clause

- which players I can remove in higher league without penalty?

In my world the regular season ended and if I offer contract now, the player is asking for higher league contract, so this will remain the same?

Example: I'm in CHL, the player has 1 y, $140 000 1W, PC contract and he is asking for BHL level, 1 year one way promotion contract with a salary of $201 000 per year. So will be no more increase, just the 61k?

Posted August 03, 2019 - 07:13 AM

jdonutken

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: August 2018
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationLouisiana ;)

One of my teams has been relegated.  I understand that I will lose 1-way contracted players.  BUT-until that happens, in trying to plan for the future, are 1-way, multi-year contracts for players I will lose included in the "next year's salary cap" computation? if they are, are they included at full value? or with "lower level reduction percentage"?

Posted August 03, 2019 - 07:38 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • 25 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Ok, I have been in the past too long in GHL, so I don't know how the promotion works. I understand the fact about positions and playoffs, but I'm not sure what happens with players:

- with no clause

- with 1W clause

- with PC clause

- which players I can remove in higher league without penalty?

In my world the regular season ended and if I offer contract now, the player is asking for higher league contract, so this will remain the same?

Example: I'm in CHL, the player has 1 y, $140 000 1W, PC contract and he is asking for BHL level, 1 year one way promotion contract with a salary of $201 000 per year. So will be no more increase, just the 61k?

I am sorry for responding so late as this has likely been answered for you but I am putting this here for the record.

With no clause the player ends up with a lower league contract.

With a 1 way but no promotion clause the player ends up with a lower league contract.

With a promotional clause they end up with a salary in the new league equivalent to what they had in the lower league.

You can buy out any contract without penalty if they are a lower league contrct.

If you are promoting and then offer a contract the player will be negotiating a contract with you in regards to the league you are promoting to.

One of my teams has been relegated.  I understand that I will lose 1-way contracted players.  BUT-until that happens, in trying to plan for the future, are 1-way, multi-year contracts for players I will lose included in the "next year's salary cap" computation? if they are, are they included at full value? or with "lower level reduction percentage"?

This I cannot say for certain as I have honestly not paid much attention to, however just by looks it looks like the players contract is included in the calculations even though they will not be there because they will be removed from the team due to the one way clause. It also looks like it is calculated at what the contract would be worth at that level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users