Photo

NHL Awards. What are your Picks/Opinions?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: NHL Hart/MVP Race (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think should win the Hart Trophy this season?

1. Connor McDavid(103 points in 80 games) (7 votes [28.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

2. Nathan MacKinnon(94 points in 72 games) (6 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Taylor Hall(93 points in 75 games) (4 votes [16.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

4. Anze Kopitar(91 points in 80 games) (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

5. Nikita Kucherov(98 points in 78 games) (6 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

6. Other (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Who will win the Vezina Trophy?

1. Pekka Rinne((58 games played)41 wins, 13 losses, .927 Save %, 2.32 Goals Against Average) (20 votes [80.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Andrei Vasilevskiy((64 games played)43 wins 17 losses, .921 Save %, 2.58 Goals Against Average) (2 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

3. Other(please discuss under post) (3 votes [12.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

Who will win the James Norris Trophy?

1. Viktor Hedman(61 point in 75 games with a +30 rating) (15 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Drew Doughty(59 points in 80 games with a +25 rating) (5 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. P.K. Subban(58 points in 80 games with a +19 rating) (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

4. John Klingberg(64 points in 79 games with a +7 rating) (2 votes [8.00%] - View)

5. Erik Karlsson(62 points in 71 games with a -25 rating) (2 votes [8.00%] - View)

6. Brent Burns(63 points in 79 games with a -17 rating) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Other(once again if you feel like there is another player that deserves to win, please discuss below) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Posted April 03, 2018 - 10:56 PM

Jack Reacher

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: December 2015
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCanada

Hey guys, just wanted to see what you guys think of the NHL season 2017/18. Who will win the awards and why? Please discuss, I really want to see your opinions and picks. Thanks.

Posted April 03, 2018 - 10:59 PM

Red Fox

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Outstanding

I went with Kucherov, Rinne, and Karlsson myself.

Posted April 04, 2018 - 04:09 AM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable
I don't have total overview, I saw just a few games this year and mostly only highlights and interesting shots.
But when I saw MacKinnon I was overwhelmed! So my pick here is obvious.
Between goalies it's tight. I'd like to say Fleury cuz I'm cheering for Golden Knights since they were founded. :cool:  ;)  But it'll be Rinne for confidence and stability. 
About Dmen, I personaly would love to if Roman Pol├ík could win :D  but that's not gonna happen so my vote is for Hedman.

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted April 04, 2018 - 08:17 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • 22 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

For Hart I would have to go with Hall. His play defines MVP more than any other player to me. While Kopitar and MicKinnon are 2nd and 3rd for me neither team sinks more down the standings without than the Devils do. I genuinely think they would still be picking top 10 in the upcoming draft at best without him. The other two teams would likely be mid-round picks. Before anyone doubts me on Colorado let me remind you that MacKinnon's play allowed them to trade Duchene. Without him they don't trade Duchene. Or at least they get Brassard back in return. They would have to.

For Vezina while I think Fleury, and even Luongo or Raanta (No seriously Raanta. Imagine if he would have been healthy all season and put up those kind of numbers on arguably the worst team in the league no matter their finishing position. Playoffs or not it would be difficult to not have him a favorite.), have the numbers they don't have the games. To me it comes down to either Hallebuyck or Rinne. Vasilevskiy just had a not particularly good finish to the season the entire last month or so and I have to consider the entire season not just 4/5ths of it. Personally due to slightly better performance I have to give it to Rinne.

For Norris I have to go Doughty. The only players close to me on that list are Hedman and Burns however Doughty starts in the defensive end more than both of the other two by far and ends up with better relative shot metrics when that is taken into account. Also he isn't on nearly as strong a team as Hedman. While Burns isn't on a particularly elite team either Norris is more for a defender that shows the best all around ability at the position and Burns isn't an elite defender in his own end. That said I am going to throw a 4th name at you that I think should be getting a look as well. John Carlson. Washington's D was notably hampered with the losses of Alsner and Schmidt. Carlson had a Doughty like season doing a lot of defensive heavy lifting that I think is getting overlooked.

A13

Posted April 04, 2018 - 08:41 AM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Pekka Rinne will probably win the Vezina but I think it should be Frederik Andersen He has had a steady .917 sv% and 2.85 Gaa and he has made the most saves ( 1961 ) on the most shots faced by any goalie in the league ( 2139 ) w/ a stellar save% and he has the most minutes played I think that is vezina/mvp caliber since w/o him Toronto would probably not be in the playoffs and the Ducks would probably be contending w/ vegas for the #1 spot in the division. But also if you look at Andre Vasilevskiy and he has almost identical numbers to Anderson with a higher save% making him more of an mvp candidate in my opinion and anderson more of the vezina winner but McDavid will probably win Mvp. Anyone else w/ thoughts ?

A13

Posted April 04, 2018 - 08:47 AM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

For Hart I would have to go with Hall. His play defines MVP more than any other player to me. While Kopitar and MicKinnon are 2nd and 3rd for me neither team sinks more down the standings without than the Devils do. I genuinely think they would still be picking top 10 in the upcoming draft at best without him. The other two teams would likely be mid-round picks. Before anyone doubts me on Colorado let me remind you that MacKinnon's play allowed them to trade Duchene. Without him they don't trade Duchene. Or at least they get Brassard back in return. They would have to.

For Vezina while I think Fleury, and even Luongo or Raanta (No seriously Raanta. Imagine if he would have been healthy all season and put up those kind of numbers on arguably the worst team in the league no matter their finishing position. Playoffs or not it would be difficult to not have him a favorite.), have the numbers they don't have the games. To me it comes down to either Hallebuyck or Rinne. Vasilevskiy just had a not particularly good finish to the season the entire last month or so and I have to consider the entire season not just 4/5ths of it. Personally due to slightly better performance I have to give it to Rinne.

For Norris I have to go Doughty. The only players close to me on that list are Hedman and Burns however Doughty starts in the defensive end more than both of the other two by far and ends up with better relative shot metrics when that is taken into account. Also he isn't on nearly as strong a team as Hedman. While Burns isn't on a particularly elite team either Norris is more for a defender that shows the best all around ability at the position and Burns isn't an elite defender in his own end. That said I am going to throw a 4th name at you that I think should be getting a look as well. John Carlson. Washington's D was notably hampered with the losses of Alsner and Schmidt. Carlson had a Doughty like season doing a lot of defensive heavy lifting that I think is getting overlooked.

You have a very good point about Carlson but I believe because of Hedman's play is one of the reasons Tampa Bay is so good and the same reason for Vasilevskiy  he carried them in a few games and he's seen the second most shots in the league.

Posted April 04, 2018 - 04:25 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 490 posts
  • 16 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Great poll!  My picks...

Hall: I've followed him ever since his OHL days.

Rinne: But I can easily see Flower being in the conversation as well.

Hedman: The guy is a beast!  Although, pretty much everyone on this list is. :D

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | GHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

Posted April 04, 2018 - 07:23 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • 22 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

You have a very good point about Carlson but I believe because of Hedman's play is one of the reasons Tampa Bay is so good and the same reason for Vasilevskiy  he carried them in a few games and he's seen the second most shots in the league.

Tampa is so good because they are incredibly stacked. Yes Vasilevskiy has faced a large number of shots however most have been lower quality shots as Tampa's D crowds the middle and allows outside shots. I have to take that into account when looking at Hedman for Norris and Vasilevskiy for Vezina. I also have to take into account that Hedman starts in the offensive end at least 54% of the time and ends there more often than not too with a heavy shots for bias. Doughty however starts in the offensive zone only 46% of the time and has a better shots for bias. Doughty also has similar points and isn't too far off in +/-. That just tells me that Doughty is doing more and having a bigger impact relative. Ok this isn't defensive MVP but I just see more impressive numbers from Doughty than I do from Hedman. That said we are basically trying to spit hairs here. They are, in my mind, 2 of the top 5 defenders in the league.

As for your take on Andersen for Vezina he isn't even close to earning it. Vezina is basically tailor made to go to the goalie with the best statistical stats through the entire season. .917 is at best slightly above average for a quality starter. Yes Andersen is on a not particularly good defensive team so he has had to make more than a few extra spectacular saves however if he were Vezina worthy his stats would look more like Raanta (.930 with a 2.24GAA in 46 games played) who I think we can both agree is on a significantly worse team than Andersen no? Andersen had a good season but nothing near Vezina worthy compared to many other goalies out there.

Thanked by 1 Member:

A13

Posted April 04, 2018 - 09:03 PM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Tampa is so good because they are incredibly stacked. Yes Vasilevskiy has faced a large number of shots however most have been lower quality shots as Tampa's D crowds the middle and allows outside shots. I have to take that into account when looking at Hedman for Norris and Vasilevskiy for Vezina. I also have to take into account that Hedman starts in the offensive end at least 54% of the time and ends there more often than not too with a heavy shots for bias. Doughty however starts in the offensive zone only 46% of the time and has a better shots for bias. Doughty also has similar points and isn't too far off in +/-. That just tells me that Doughty is doing more and having a bigger impact relative. Ok this isn't defensive MVP but I just see more impressive numbers from Doughty than I do from Hedman. That said we are basically trying to spit hairs here. They are, in my mind, 2 of the top 5 defenders in the league.

As for your take on Andersen for Vezina he isn't even close to earning it. Vezina is basically tailor made to go to the goalie with the best statistical stats through the entire season. .917 is at best slightly above average for a quality starter. Yes Andersen is on a not particularly good defensive team so he has had to make more than a few extra spectacular saves however if he were Vezina worthy his stats would look more like Raanta (.930 with a 2.24GAA in 46 games played) who I think we can both agree is on a significantly worse team than Andersen no? Andersen had a good season but nothing near Vezina worthy compared to many other goalies out there.

I personally believe there should be an award for the best numbers and then for performance cause I did forget about Raanta he has played well and on a not very good team but also taking that into consideration Crawford played really well on a struggling Hawks team and he has a .929% but I still take Andersen because of the high amount of shots and the quality Rinne has played well, really well but he is on a better team I just don't see him carrying that workload like Andersen after remembering Raanta he has probably some of the best numbers in the league on one of the worst teams in the league .930 is a good year anytime and on that team that is certainly Vezina stats. Now for defensemen I don't really follow them because I am a goalie on my HS team but based on what you said and what the trophy is for I would have to change my vote to Doughty cause the Norris is for best DEFENSEMEN not most points, in addition they should have more and deeper stats like how many times he won/lost a 1on1 or how many passes/ bad passes he made or did he take his guy in front of the net how many times was he out of position? I would like to see some of those numbers.

Posted April 04, 2018 - 11:12 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • 22 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

I personally believe there should be an award for the best numbers and then for performance cause I did forget about Raanta he has played well and on a not very good team but also taking that into consideration Crawford played really well on a struggling Hawks team and he has a .929% but I still take Andersen because of the high amount of shots and the quality Rinne has played well, really well but he is on a better team I just don't see him carrying that workload like Andersen after remembering Raanta he has probably some of the best numbers in the league on one of the worst teams in the league .930 is a good year anytime and on that team that is certainly Vezina stats. Now for defensemen I don't really follow them because I am a goalie on my HS team but based on what you said and what the trophy is for I would have to change my vote to Doughty cause the Norris is for best DEFENSEMEN not most points, in addition they should have more and deeper stats like how many times he won/lost a 1on1 or how many passes/ bad passes he made or did he take his guy in front of the net how many times was he out of position? I would like to see some of those numbers.

Starting with D and some of the numbers you may be interested in to know. Hedman has 45 takeaways to Doughty's 17. Doughty also has more giveaways at 79 to Hedman's 65 but situation dictates the real relevance there. I could go on with more stats however just go to NHL.com and look up player stats and sort by defensemen and then under report you can bring up different kinds of numbers to look at. One thing I will say is that 5 of 6 Carolina defensemen ended up top 26 in takeaways for all defensemen in the NHL. Slavin 1st in the NHL with 76, Faulk 5th with 63, Hanifin 14th with 48, Trevor van Reimsdyk 17th with 45 and Pesce 26th with 38. That was something I found rather interesting.

As for goalies Hallebuyck was on the Jets which are still known for massive defensive breakdowns on occasion and he has near Rinne stats which is why I included him. That said for goalies numbers is performance. Better team or not Rinne had a better season than Andersen. While Andersen has had a good year relative it just isn't anywhere near good enough to even put it into Vezina consideration. At best Andersen had an above average year. That said I have always been wary of Rinne because his home plate save percentage has always been on the low side. I haven't looked at it for this year though. If your looking for other goalies John Gibson (.926 2.43 GAA) and Quick (.924 2.34 GAA) are worth looking at too but I think it is between Rinne and Hallebuyck.

As for Chicago that team has been held into relevance by 5 players for the past 2-3 seasons. Keith, Kane, Toews, Crawford and Panarin. One of them got traded and another hurt for the majority of the season. To me it is not a surprise whatsoever that they are well out of the playoff picture. In fact I even think that they have been massively over performing standings wise the past number of years prior to this season. While most everyone has been calling them a powerhouse team in the west the past 3 years or so I haven't been looking at them that way the entire time. They have just been too thin of a team that got by simply by avoiding injuries to their marquee players.

Posted April 05, 2018 - 05:39 AM

Steve

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • 3 thanks
    GM Since: February 2015
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationUnited States

I agree that Fleury deserves the Vezina more than the other ones.  I think that will become more apparent when the playoffs start and he carries the team.  

I had a hard time choosing between Hedman and Karlsson for the Norris.  

Posted April 05, 2018 - 08:59 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Went with Kucherov, Rinne & Doughty.

I don't have a strong case for Kucherov other than he was the best player on one of the best teams throughout the season.  I think you could make a very strong case for every player listed above as they all had an amazing season.  And I would actually add Pekka Rinne to the Hart voting

which brings me to...

Vezina - Rinne.  There are other guys who deserve consideration.  Fleury and Raanta had stellar seasons, but it's hard to vote for them considering the amount of time they missed (may be unfair, but it's personal opinion).  But yes, their game plan hockey manager performance would be in the low 80s for sure.  Andersen, as stated above, had a great year.  His stats aren't the best, but if you factor in that Toronto isn't the strongest defensive team, he deserves a spot on the ballot.  Also a workhorse, playing in 64 games, which I would also factor in.  My 2a/2b would be Vasilevskiy & Hellebuyck.  They were #1 & 2 in wins, played in 64 games, .921/.922 save %, great GAA.  Both very reliable all season.  But Rinne was just downright dominant.  .927 save %, played in 58 games, very RARELY had a bad game... and Nashville is the probably the best team.  When you factor in everything, I think he deserves to win it.

Norris - I could honestly flip a coin between Doughty and Hedman, it could go either way, but ultimately I think Doughty is the better player.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

A13

Posted April 05, 2018 - 10:12 AM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Starting with D and some of the numbers you may be interested in to know. Hedman has 45 takeaways to Doughty's 17. Doughty also has more giveaways at 79 to Hedman's 65 but situation dictates the real relevance there. I could go on with more stats however just go to NHL.com and look up player stats and sort by defensemen and then under report you can bring up different kinds of numbers to look at. One thing I will say is that 5 of 6 Carolina defensemen ended up top 26 in takeaways for all defensemen in the NHL. Slavin 1st in the NHL with 76, Faulk 5th with 63, Hanifin 14th with 48, Trevor van Reimsdyk 17th with 45 and Pesce 26th with 38. That was something I found rather interesting.

As for goalies Hallebuyck was on the Jets which are still known for massive defensive breakdowns on occasion and he has near Rinne stats which is why I included him. That said for goalies numbers is performance. Better team or not Rinne had a better season than Andersen. While Andersen has had a good year relative it just isn't anywhere near good enough to even put it into Vezina consideration. At best Andersen had an above average year. That said I have always been wary of Rinne because his home plate save percentage has always been on the low side. I haven't looked at it for this year though. If your looking for other goalies John Gibson (.926 2.43 GAA) and Quick (.924 2.34 GAA) are worth looking at too but I think it is between Rinne and Hallebuyck.

As for Chicago that team has been held into relevance by 5 players for the past 2-3 seasons. Keith, Kane, Toews, Crawford and Panarin. One of them got traded and another hurt for the majority of the season. To me it is not a surprise whatsoever that they are well out of the playoff picture. In fact I even think that they have been massively over performing standings wise the past number of years prior to this season. While most everyone has been calling them a powerhouse team in the west the past 3 years or so I haven't been looking at them that way the entire time. They have just been too thin of a team that got by simply by avoiding injuries to their marquee players.

I did not know about the other stats for D like take aways that's good to know thanks. Chicago has been playing the same system for years, they drop the puck to Kane he goes in, that got figured out and stopped by Nashville in the playoffs last year and now other teams are stopping it, they need to adjust and do something new because they don't have a bad team they lost one of the top goalies in the league and played with inexperienced goalies. As for there team, Toews has not been scoring neither has Saad, Kane has been putting up ok numbers, the biggest thing that's been helping Chicago is Debrincat he has 28 goals and 24 assists which has been helping the offense a lot considering Toews and Saad combine for 38 goals and 49 assists that's 87 points for 10 mil a year they should each have 40 goals and 85-90 pts.As for goalies, I think Andersen is Vezina cause he's a workhorse (as mentioned by Paul T) he has seen the most shots in the most minutes on one of the lesser defensive teams in the league with above average numbers, not outstanding as Rinnes numbers but very good. Here is another stat for you Andersen averages 30.6 saves per game out of 33.42 shots thats about 30-33 per game which is very difficult considering it's the NHL and everyone can shoot hard and accurate with a Lightning quick release Rinne near I dentical numbers averaging 29.03 saves per game on 31.3 shots which is about 29-31 per game but slightly less impressive as he played for a more well balanced team which will make another deep run in the playoffs barring anything crazy. Rinne will probably win the Vezina as he averaged 30 shots against and had a.927 save%. As for Raanta and Gibson I believe they did not have a good start to there season and were not very consistent throughout the year as we Andersen and Rinne I believe that consistency should be a big part to the Vezina, Andersen and Rinne were very consistent, after looking at average shots pergame and the save% I think Rinne is deserving of the Vezina and possibly instead the Hart. Andersen may not have had the quality season Rinne had but he at least deserves recognition from the league.

Posted April 06, 2018 - 09:53 AM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • 22 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

As for Raanta and Gibson I believe they did not have a good start to there season and were not very consistent throughout the year

Raanta had an average start statistically and got a lot better as the season went on while Gibson had a pretty good start to the season (marginally better than Andersen) and kept it going through the season. Both were very consistent through the season too. That is why their numbers for the entire season are so good. You don't get incredible numbers by being inconsistent. You get Cam Ward like numbers for being inconsistent. Cam Ward, for random stretches equaling about 2 months total, will perform like one of the best goalies in the league. However the rest of the time he is average at best. That is why Carolina traded for Scott Darling who never got comfortable this season and had a really bad season.

Also you need to take shots against with a grain of salt. It is a byproduct of both the quality of the team defensively but also the style of play that the team is playing. Toronto is an up tempo and offensively aggressive team. They are naturally going to give up a lot of shots as a result no matter the skill of the defenders. Thus his 33 shots against really isn't that impressive to take note of especially when the team offensively was basically going shot for shot with the other team.

However look at Gibson who has notably better stats. Plays on Anaheim who plays to a much more methodical puck possession style yet got out shot on average 33-30. That means that on most nights Anaheim was losing the puck possession style that they were trying to play. Basically Anaheim was loosing the puck possession battle and was winning games. The goalie has a lot to do with that. If you find that as good Raanta is just a better story. Basically half of an AHL team in front of him and puts up ridiculously amazing numbers. It is a testament to how good of a coach Rick Tocchet is as well seeing as how they have to play such a defensively conservative game just to not get embarrassed every night.

It sounds like your a big Andersen fan. That is fine (a good choice too as I think he is in the top 10 of all NHL goalies) but make sure to not let you being a fan of his dilute the reality of his performance. Yes he had a relatively good year but it wasn't a great one and to be honest was a bit of a down season for him, at least in my mind. After all his backup had statistically the best season of any goalie to at least play 6 games and he played 18 going 11-5-1 with a 2.14 and .935. For Andersen to really be a consideration for the Vezina he would have had to have gotten at least a .922-.925 save % season with a 2.55 or better GAA and to be honest that is about what I was expecting out of him. The team defensively did get at least slightly better in front of him this season compared to last after all so expecting better than last season seemed to be natural. That said look for Toronto to go for a top 4 defender either this offseason or next via trade. As ridiculous as it sounds I would love to see Toronto bag Karlsson for either Nylander or Marner (they can't keep all 3 cap wise without really hurting team balance so it is a worthwhile sacrifice and ideally in my mind Marner since Nylander and Matthews play so well together) and a few extra pieces.

A13

Posted April 06, 2018 - 11:53 AM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Yes I am an Andersen fan and HUGE Andersen fan and I did expect a better year from him. But I am also a Ducks fan and watched a lot of the games and did not think Gibson played particularly well, his numbers were good but he just seemed sloppy and slow and did not look comfortable at all, Andersen seemed to play well but did not have the numbers as some of the other goalies, Raanta also did not seem to be very comfortable because I believe this is his first year starting correct? Rinne seemed to have probably the best year of all the other goalies facing a lot of shots and having good and consistent numbers but he just didn't seem to have the workload Andersen did, I have also noticed in the last 5-7 Ducks games Gibson has had to make 35-45 saves for them to win. Andersen has played a lot better over the last 15 or so games and if you factor in every thing you mentioned and I mentioned then I would have to say Rinne is the most deserving, he has played consistent, has good numbers, has played quality consistent, has seen a lot of shots per game, at times has carried his team to a win (all of the goalies have done that but Rinne's performance in 4-5 to 1 games has been much overlooked at times) and has made a lot of quality saves (in the few Nashville games I've seen) he is the only goalie to do all of these things many of them have don 3-5 of them but not all 6.

Posted April 07, 2018 - 02:21 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • 22 thanks
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Yes I am an Andersen fan and HUGE Andersen fan and I did expect a better year from him. But I am also a Ducks fan and watched a lot of the games and did not think Gibson played particularly well, his numbers were good but he just seemed sloppy and slow and did not look comfortable at all, Andersen seemed to play well but did not have the numbers as some of the other goalies, Raanta also did not seem to be very comfortable because I believe this is his first year starting correct? Rinne seemed to have probably the best year of all the other goalies facing a lot of shots and having good and consistent numbers but he just didn't seem to have the workload Andersen did, I have also noticed in the last 5-7 Ducks games Gibson has had to make 35-45 saves for them to win. Andersen has played a lot better over the last 15 or so games and if you factor in every thing you mentioned and I mentioned then I would have to say Rinne is the most deserving, he has played consistent, has good numbers, has played quality consistent, has seen a lot of shots per game, at times has carried his team to a win (all of the goalies have done that but Rinne's performance in 4-5 to 1 games has been much overlooked at times) and has made a lot of quality saves (in the few Nashville games I've seen) he is the only goalie to do all of these things many of them have don 3-5 of them but not all 6.

Gibson has had a few rather sloppy games but he plays at his best seemingly when he is active which can look sloppy as well. Active goalies tend to look chaotic and nearly out of control at times. Gibson isn't Tim Thomas kinds of active but he is more on the active side. As for him having to make a lot of saves to win that is more evidence of the Ducks losing the possession battle that they try to play and should be concerning to Ducks fans entering the playoffs. Personally I think Andersen is the better goalie right now. I just think he had a bit of a down year for him. That said I think Gibson and Andersen are both top 10 NHL goalies right now.

Raanta didn't look comfortable to start and I attribute that more to new team than first time starting. By about 20 games into the season though he really started to play lights out nearly every game. I didn't take him as a serious quality starter until he strung a number of those performances together. Then it turned into can he really be so good as to potentially carry this team into respectability? Well not if he is hurt was the answer. If he stays healthy next season and plays as well he may be able to drag this team into near playoff contention.

Posted April 08, 2018 - 05:31 AM

HurjaHerra

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: November 2015
Rep - Reliable

Karlsson for Norris since they usually come one year after the season worthy of a Norris.

A13

Posted April 08, 2018 - 04:10 PM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Gibson has had a few rather sloppy games but he plays at his best seemingly when he is active which can look sloppy as well. Active goalies tend to look chaotic and nearly out of control at times. Gibson isn't Tim Thomas kinds of active but he is more on the active side. As for him having to make a lot of saves to win that is more evidence of the Ducks losing the possession battle that they try to play and should be concerning to Ducks fans entering the playoffs. Personally I think Andersen is the better goalie right now. I just think he had a bit of a down year for him. That said I think Gibson and Andersen are both top 10 NHL goalies right now.

Raanta didn't look comfortable to start and I attribute that more to new team than first time starting. By about 20 games into the season though he really started to play lights out nearly every game. I didn't take him as a serious quality starter until he strung a number of those performances together. Then it turned into can he really be so good as to potentially carry this team into respectability? Well not if he is hurt was the answer. If he stays healthy next season and plays as well he may be able to drag this team into near playoff contention.

I play goalie for my high school team right now and I prefer a more active style of play. But earlier in the year Gibson just didn't look like he was playing well over the last few games he has played outstanding which is the biggest reason why the ducks made the playoffs. I definitely believe Gibson is top ten and Andersen did have bad year but could be considered top ten based on performance because last time I checked he does not have a top ten save%. There was an article on nhl.com awhile a go where Robin Lehner said a goalies performance isn't indicative of or by his numbers that being said Raanta did have a really good year and could have made Arizona (keep wanting to call them Phoenix) a more respectable team now I don't think they would have made the playoffs but they would have been in the hunt. Raanta definitely did not have a good start to the season but did pick up his play a lot and could have put this team in the middle of the standings if he wasn't hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users