EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: September 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Early season results can be a bit crazy at times anyways.  Both of my keepers haven't played great to start the season.  They finished 2nd and 3rd in SHL last year for save percentage so I was fairly confident in them going into this season.  So far Zhutov is .875 save % and 68 performance.  Naud is .855 with 62.  Neither are even in the top 20 this season... yet.  It's been surprising since they were both playing like Hasek toward the end of last season and I thought my defense got better. 

Good to see Sprogis playing well for you so far.  Actually both of your goalies are doing well.

Yeah, flocarri has had a rough start as well and he ended on fire last season also. May just be slow start goalies - guess we will find out today as our matchup begins here in about an hour - going down Paul!

...probably not ;)

A13

Posted April 05, 2018 - 12:30 PM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: March 2018
Rep - Helpful

I agree, I try not to exceed one sniper per line but have seen some teams be successful with two on the wings and a playmaker or powerforward on center. For puck possession, I'd definitely try to focus on playimaking, powerforwards, and two-way forwards. Line focus may alter production a bit but not a ton. That is a strategic section dedicated towards your teams playing style. I tend to drift towards more two-way, balanced lines with an occasional scoring line or energy line thrown in. As Jusatin said - may want to take at your player roles as they effect line chemistry and production. I think even some players play better with a different combinationnof player types - lot of time to figure that out though.

You cannot train a specific talent. They will train in endurance as they play (if they haven't capped it out yet). If you don't want him to be tired so fast you can ease his training or have him play less minutes per game.

About the sniper thing, it could be it. I have had a rule of max 1 sniper per line so they don't "clash" with each others.

Ok good to know about training, I set it to hard from last game to preseason then I set it to easy so they don't tire as quick, what is capping out ? I need him to play big minutes he is my best puck moving defensemen. I will definitely have to try the sniper thinig.

I set almost all my forwards to sniper cause I want shots. I have my first line as scoring second two-way 3rd energy 4th checking.

I will defintly have to make some adjustments in the future but not right now we finally started winning and we're on a 7 game win streak "knock on wood" and vaulted from 10th to 4th and just beat the #3 team so things are starting to look up. Thanks again for the advice will definitely have to try those things.

Posted April 05, 2018 - 05:37 PM

granpubah

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2017
Rep - Reliable

After a 3-1 season start the Meteors for lost 4 in a row.  Just realized most of my guys were still on hard training.  I should be ok now that I've adjusted training a bought a new scoring forward. 

The Buccaneers are middle of the pack again.  

Posted April 06, 2018 - 10:42 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Yeah, flocarri has had a rough start as well and he ended on fire last season also. May just be slow start goalies - guess we will find out today as our matchup begins here in about an hour - going down Paul!

...probably not ;)

I took the much needed home game, but another sub .900 save performance from my goalie. 

"Stable - you can count on me!".

*BISCUIT - SEASON 16 - TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted April 06, 2018 - 04:48 PM

gccsteel

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Floater

the worst team in the IHL

Hey now, I resent that. We are clearly lower middle.

I was just as surprised as you about the 7-1 game, though. I can only attribute it to 12 mins on PP against 2 mins on PK. My PP is #1 in the league and has bailed me out a few times already. Maybe that swung momentum early and you guys couldn't get it back? Or maybe it was just dumb luck.

I did notice something about your roster. Pointing it out as a learning tool to see if it is correct or maybe I'm missing something. Your roster is stacked with Centers and Forwards who can play Puck Possession, but you don't have any defenders who excel in that system (you certainly have ones who can shoot). You also have no mobile defenders or defensive centers for Moderate Forecheck. Talent wise your team is leaps and bounds better than mine, but I wonder how much the tactical fit factors into it.

Speaking of talent, I have a few guys on the trade block because I am trying to switch to a dump and chase tactic. Seems like an easy one to run with my first attempt at this game. I have two beast defenders who don't fit into this mold. Lonroth and Clouthier if anyone is interested, neither are mobile enough for my liking. I could use some young gritty mobile guys in return.

A13

Posted April 06, 2018 - 05:45 PM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

Hey now, I resent that. We are clearly lower middle.

I was just as surprised as you about the 7-1 game, though. I can only attribute it to 12 mins on PP against 2 mins on PK. My PP is #1 in the league and has bailed me out a few times already. Maybe that swung momentum early and you guys couldn't get it back? Or maybe it was just dumb luck.

I did notice something about your roster. Pointing it out as a learning tool to see if it is correct or maybe I'm missing something. Your roster is stacked with Centers and Forwards who can play Puck Possession, but you don't have any defenders who excel in that system (you certainly have ones who can shoot). You also have no mobile defenders or defensive centers for Moderate Forecheck. Talent wise your team is leaps and bounds better than mine, but I wonder how much the tactical fit factors into it.

Speaking of talent, I have a few guys on the trade block because I am trying to switch to a dump and chase tactic. Seems like an easy one to run with my first attempt at this game. I have two beast defenders who don't fit into this mold. Lonroth and Clouthier if anyone is interested, neither are mobile enough for my liking. I could use some young gritty mobile guys in return.

You have a quality team but I was just saying at the time you had no wins which was very frustrating that we couldn't win. As for players this is a side team so I just throw together whatever I have and let the game figure it out if you still have those D I could probably piece together deal w/ you. My team is supposed to be all offense all the time and get shots from the point puck possession was the system it gave me so I just left it.

Posted April 08, 2018 - 01:21 PM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
It's crazy how switching two guys can effect the whole team's performance. It's been night and day since I swapped one of my Defenseman - love it!

A13

Posted April 08, 2018 - 01:53 PM

A13

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

So this was my last game https://prnt.sc/j2kqrs I really don't know what I did or what happened but has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Posted April 13, 2018 - 08:19 PM

EXXEO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
Well, good news for all of you that play me the next few days - two of the three of my top line forwards are down for multiple days and you should have a nice couple W's to add to your season!

Posted April 14, 2018 - 04:34 AM

Erzac

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

A good start to a season remains unchecked on the bucket list. After winning the first three games, the team is now 5-1-0-10. The first line that was doing solid work last season has managed to gather a minus-12 rating in 16 games.

Posted April 18, 2018 - 05:00 PM

Erzac

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

I truly don't understand how the team manages to perform so poorly. The only trick I haven't tried is sacrificing the assistant to the hockey gods, but sadly that option isn't in the game yet.

Posted April 18, 2018 - 07:31 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I truly don't understand how the team manages to perform so poorly. The only trick I haven't tried is sacrificing the assistant to the hockey gods, but sadly that option isn't in the game yet.

Your team's performance - or lack of - is baffling, specifically the lack of scoring.  I remember even in our playoff last season, your top line was non-existent.  Granted my defense/goalie were really hot at the time and you got production from other lines, but still.  At quick glance the only thing I noticed was your player's Egos.  7/12 of your forwards are either Arrogant or Cocky.  I have no idea if that could even be an issue, but assuming that traits actually matter, it might be negatively impacting your scoring.  The other thing could be your Off Tactic vs. your opponents Def Tactic.  The only reason I say this is the defensive tactic that I assume most GHL teams use is the best tactic against your offense (assuming you still use the same Off tactic as you did during our playoff last season).  Although I know another GHL team who uses the same Off tactic as you and they do really well.  So maybe not.  Just some thoughts... I could be way off, though...

Posted April 18, 2018 - 08:42 PM

xZhou

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 2 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Reliable

Yeah it's pretty surprising to me too...have you tried playing Chovanec and Ryzhanov on different lines or shuffling the lines a bit? Personally I found that some players just seem to click for some unknown reason, and some just don't play well together. One thing that stands out for me when I look at your team is that all of the defensemen have poor puckhandling, so maybe they have trouble carrying the puck out of the zone despite their strong passing abilities?

Posted April 19, 2018 - 01:06 AM

Erzac

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

--(assuming you still use the same Off tactic as you did during our playoff last season).--

I changed the tactic after things started going south this season, but that hasn't done me any favors just yet.

Yeah it's pretty surprising to me too...have you tried playing Chovanec and Ryzhanov on different lines or shuffling the lines a bit? Personally I found that some players just seem to click for some unknown reason, and some just don't play well together. One thing that stands out for me when I look at your team is that all of the defensemen have poor puckhandling, so maybe they have trouble carrying the puck out of the zone despite their strong passing abilities?

They only started clicking last season after I put them together, mostly I think the problem on that line has been the center. Shuffling hasn't brought any results yet anyways, but I'll keep at it.

Interesting note on the d-men puckhandling, I always looked at it being low by nature, but my team does have a notably lower average there than many other teams.

Edit: It is actually THE lowest in GHL currently, so that might be one of the issues. The second worst team in that matter is however doing great atm, so it can't be the only problem.

Posted April 19, 2018 - 05:35 AM

Pingu

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium
That D puckhandling team would be me?

Posted April 19, 2018 - 06:26 AM

Erzac

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

That D puckhandling team would be me?

Correct.

Posted April 19, 2018 - 08:42 AM

Pingu

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium

They really aren't great at puckhandling but they manage to play well together. My third line D are 2 guys of 86.

Maybe switch them up a bit.

Posted April 19, 2018 - 09:59 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

The first line that was doing solid work last season has managed to gather a minus-12 rating in 16 games.

Have you tried your top line as Two Way?  If they aren't scoring and are giving up goals, I'd assume it can't hurt.  Maybe break up Chov and Ryz and put one on your 2nd line (Scoring). 

Also you mentioned you changed OFF tactics this season so your team probably isn't that familiar yet.  I'm sure that can't help offensive production at the moment.

Posted April 19, 2018 - 10:11 AM

Erzac

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 6 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationFinland

Have you tried your top line as Two Way?  If they aren't scoring and are giving up goals, I'd assume it can't hurt.  Maybe break up Chov and Ryz and put one on your 2nd line (Scoring). 

Also you mentioned you changed OFF tactics this season so your team probably isn't that familiar yet.  I'm sure that can't help offensive production at the moment.

Don't know which other line would carry the scoring if that line won't get going. Not that they're getting it done either, in the past 10 games I've scored more than two goals only once. Which happens to be the only game I've won in that stretch.

I did change, but the old tactic wasn't working either. I'm changing back tonight to the more familiar tactic as well as some line and role shuffling. Something has to work eventually.

Posted April 19, 2018 - 10:28 AM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • 7 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

Don't know which other line would carry the scoring if that line won't get going. Not that they're getting it done either, in the past 10 games I've scored more than two goals only once. Which happens to be the only game I've won in that stretch.

I did change, but the old tactic wasn't working either. I'm changing back tonight to the more familiar tactic as well as some line and role shuffling. Something has to work eventually.

True. But maybe your team will start winning games 2-1.  I've found that finding the right combination of tactics, lines, etc. is crucial.  And I remember you dominated SHL a few years ago, but GHL is probably a different beast.  Going Two Way could spark scoring.  In BHL, I was SCR/TWO/SCR and my Two Way line had the best +/-.  Not the case in SHL... my Two Way line currently has the worst +/-, but I'm not sure what to do about it because in the few games I've tried Scoring x3, my team barely scores at all.  I have also tried Two Way x3 and we don't score that way either.  That's why I think finding the right combination is key. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users