Wick Schozen

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

Submissions for the inaugural Howitzer - GHL Managers Poll have ended. This event will take place annually with the GHL managers receiving their ballots after game 30 and have 15 game days to get their submissions in. We received full ballots from 7 teams and a partial ballot from one team. I am keeping the answers confidential but if everyone collectively wanted transparency I can release the ballots of the managers. I like the anonymity with something like this though. With that being said here are the results.

Individual Accolades

Best Forward GHL - Alexandr Gavrikov, Unity Fire Dogs

Receiving five of the seven votes Gavrikov was the consensus top forward in the GHL. Currently sitting with a healthy 9 point lead in the scoring race, Gavrikov has been a top 5 scorer in the league for the last four seasons straight and looks poised to capture his second scoring title in that span.

Best Defensemen GHL - Dalibor Kosegi, Newcastle Fighters

Kosegi grabbed four of the seven votes for top defensemen and with three other individual defensemen receiving votes. Kosegi has been flirting with the league lead in goals and battling it out with former defensive partner Joshua Metts (recipient of one vote) for highest scoring defensemen. The 24 year old Kosegi has eclipsed 50 points in his last two seasons and has a chance to crack 60 points this season. 

Best Goaltender GHL - Thor Landstrom, Stony Brook Steel & Gino Vincent, Unity Fire Dogs

Claiming two votes each in the most spread out category, Landstrom and Vincent share will share the title of best goaltender(s) this season. Landstrom has guided his team to two GHL championships in the last three seasons while the younger Vincent looks to take Unity back to the top after being acquired two seasons ago. Landstrom and Vincent are the only goaltenders in the league to hold higher than a .930 Sv% with more than 20 games played. 

Number One Player Voted To Build A Team Around - Dalibor Kosegi, Newcastle Fighters & Michal Kadura, Palm Harbor Legends*

Another split decision with each player receiving two votes each, the managers who took part in the poll leaned towards two young defensemen as the best foundational piece for their franchise. Kosegi who took out best defensemen is met by 21 year old Michal Kadura formally of the Nottingham Purple Storm. Kadura while yet to break out offensively looks to take steps forward in that department on a more prominent team in the GHL. Gavrikov and Landstrom also had their name thrown in the mix. 

Team Assessment

What Is The Most Important Position - Goaltender

Goaltending narrowly edges out centerman with four votes to three. With the top two teams in the league staking claim to the top two goaltenders it’s not hard to find why managers hold goaltenders in such high regard. 

Which Team Will Win The Most Championships Over The Next 10 Seasons? - Stony Brook Steel

With five of the votes it looks like something special is being assembled in Stony Brook. Already with two championships in the last three seasons, Stony Brooks balance of elite players and youth have them slated to reach dynasty status in the 'Season 20s’.

Which Team Will Need To Rebuild In The Next Five Seasons? - Palm Harbor Legends

While only garnering three of the votes that was enough to have Palm Harbor as the predicted team on their last legs before tearing it down. After claiming the season 19 championship on the back of an ageing core, we’ve already started to see the transition of the Legends with the new blood coming in after the regression of Seb Jett.

Who Would You Least Want To Face In The Playoffs? - Stony Brook Steel

No surprise for many, Stony Brook’s prowess was established with their playoff performances and even if you hope to get by them in a serious you can be sure it’s going to take three games and letting go of any hope to rest your starting goalie to do it. 

Hope you guys enjoyed the Managers Poll. I have a couple additional questions I’ll look to add next season. Hopefully with some more attention to it we can receive a better response to get the leagues complete opinion.

Posted March 15, 2018 - 12:58 AM

Jusu5

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2017
Rep - Floater

Great work ncik! 

Posted March 15, 2018 - 10:51 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 387 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I like this, community initiated poll/awards!

One interesting note, the accolades were won by only four teams: Unity, Newcastle, Stony Brook, Palm Harbor.  Were these GM's the most active with the poll or are the players on the other eight teams really that bad?

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | SHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 02:25 AM

Wick Schozen

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I like this, community initiated poll/awards!

One interesting note, the accolades were won by only four teams: Unity, Newcastle, Stony Brook, Palm Harbor.  Were these GM's the most active with the poll or are the players on the other eight teams really that bad?

I think currently because of the lack of diversity in the categories the individual accolades would fall more to the top teams. I think currently in Howitzer - GHL there are 4 teams that have made the final four the last three season I believe, then there is a second tier of 6-8 teams that are pretty close and then the two teams newly promoted and two teams fighting to stay out of relegation close out the last tier. But also yeah, those are 4 managers that submitted ballots out of only 7 submissions. 

If this were to take of I might make it that you have to vote outside of your team so it is a league assessment, but even for the first time round we didn't run into issues of managers being biased to their own guys.

Posted March 16, 2018 - 03:47 PM

TheWizard

GamePlanHockey Moderator

• Moderators
  • 387 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: February 2016
Rep - Outstanding

That makes sense.

Personally, I can't wait until season awards are built into GPHM, but that feature is probably well down the road.

Manager of:

Dunkirk Sea Hawks | GHL | Lumber
Prairie City Steers | SHL | Clapper
Otego Arrowheads | SHL | Dangles
Bushong Hill Giants | GHL | UAT Mitts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users