bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: February 2017
Rep - Helpful

I've noticed some teams with a large amount of players in their affiliates. This one team has 29 players in the affiliate and 22 players on his main roster with 33mil in cap space still.

Attached File  GPHM.png   69.19KB   0 downloads Attached File  GPHM2.png   48.37KB   0 downloads

This is pretty ridiculous. That's 51 players on the team. NHL teams are only allowed 50 pro-contracts on their teams.

Posted February 09, 2018 - 12:26 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
    GM Since: May 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I'm in favor of a roster limit - which has been discussed a few times here.  30-35 seems like a good number... considering you start 4C-8F-6D-1G (19), which leaves room for 11-16 reserves 3C-4F-3D-3G would probably be ideal.  I'd say closer to 30, but can see an argument for 35.

It's not really against the rules at the moment so if managers are making it work within their cap, then.....

I mean, I'm totally with you, but it's hard to call someone out if they aren't breaking any rules.  Is that team any good?  I would assume that cap could be spent on better/more expensive players.  If so I wonder if the world/league is that competitive.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted February 09, 2018 - 12:50 PM

Jono

Junior Scout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: January 2017
Rep - Floater

That is my Dangles team! I'll give you a bit of background as to why I have so many players:

1) Many of those players are from when I first took over the team (computer contracts) and from my first season in charge when competition for players was high so long contracts had to be offered to get them to sign

2) I've had two promotions in the past few seasons so many players are no longer good enough for my team

3) I've tried to get rid of several - putting them on the waivers but no takers

Yes I could sack those not good enough but what benefit will I gain from that? After all I have 33 million in cap space. If someone wants them they can send me a trade offer like a 3rd round pick or something and I'll let them go.

Why do I have 33 million cap space?

Hardly any top players would sign for my team after I recently got promoted to GHL. I therefore had to take a different strategy - sign a load of promising youngsters, hope I can stay up then filter them into my team in the next few years so I can become successful. Not a strategy I wanted to really take but it was either that or watch my team potentially get relegated and then struggle to promote again. I wish I did have 0 cap space available!

I'm all for a roster limit, believe me and I do understand your frustration but as Paul T said I'm working within the rules and there are several factors as to why I have so many players. I'm not going out of my way to sign players and keep them so others can't have them.

Posted February 09, 2018 - 02:04 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • 22 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

For the record I have 32 affiliate roster players on 2 affiliate teams and 20 roster players. NHL teams have one affiliate team. The reason I have 32 affiliate players is so I fill at least 3 forward lines and 2 defensive lines on each of the two affiliate teams I have. Why? Give as many young players with the potential to grow that are unsigned at the start of FA a chance to grow under a human manager where they can come closer to maximizing their potential than if they went to a full CPU team. A majority of those affiliate players are never going to get another contract from me again and they will go back to FA when their contract is up. Hopefully by then they will develop enough to be of use to lower league teams. If it weren't for me signing those players I might have 10 players in my affiliates.

Posted February 09, 2018 - 02:04 PM

littleb

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • 4 thanks
    GM Since: September 2017
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationMinnedosa

I was going to suggest it might have been a back to back promotion team!  I had the same issue for a while... I have it thinned out quite a bit now but going up renders 90% of your team useless at the next level except for cover.  

Posted February 09, 2018 - 02:25 PM

bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

I'm not bashing or accusing of any cheating. Just wish their was a roster limit to make building a roster life like. It would make managers decide if they want to keep or release the "lower league contract" players to make room.

Have you seen the one team with 40 players in their affiliate? O_o

Posted February 10, 2018 - 01:09 AM

MattLumberjacks

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 13 thanks
    GM Since: September 2016
Rep - Outstanding

That is my Dangles team! I'll give you a bit of background as to why I have so many players:

1) Many of those players are from when I first took over the team (computer contracts) and from my first season in charge when competition for players was high so long contracts had to be offered to get them to sign

2) I've had two promotions in the past few seasons so many players are no longer good enough for my team

3) I've tried to get rid of several - putting them on the waivers but no takers

Yes I could sack those not good enough but what benefit will I gain from that? After all I have 33 million in cap space. If someone wants them they can send me a trade offer like a 3rd round pick or something and I'll let them go.

Why do I have 33 million cap space?

Hardly any top players would sign for my team after I recently got promoted to GHL. I therefore had to take a different strategy - sign a load of promising youngsters, hope I can stay up then filter them into my team in the next few years so I can become successful. Not a strategy I wanted to really take but it was either that or watch my team potentially get relegated and then struggle to promote again. I wish I did have 0 cap space available!

I'm all for a roster limit, believe me and I do understand your frustration but as Paul T said I'm working within the rules and there are several factors as to why I have so many players. I'm not going out of my way to sign players and keep them so others can't have them.

For these reasons, I feel like a roster limit of 30 would be too small. Imo, it should be around 50 just to not give another disadvantage to promoting teams.

Posted February 10, 2018 - 07:28 PM

Wick Schozen

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • 7 thanks
    GM Since: April 2016
Rep - Outstanding

I think 30 is too small, but 50 is by far too high. With a full roster in the lineup that's allowing for 32 affiliate players. I think in terms of needs having four centers, eight wingers and three goalies is enough room to have players that are on the cusp of making the team and maintaining a strong prospect pipeline with the affiliate. I think 35 would be a good amount and drafted players that aren't signed wouldn't count towards that total. 

Asset management should be a skill that is encouraged within the game. Currently you're just allowed to hold as many players as you can fit under the cap so hoarding players isn't hard to achieve with the cap savings you gain from putting a player on the affiliate. If you have to make a decision about who you value and who you are just keeping for the sake of having then roster transactions will be more prevalent and GM interaction as well. Instead managers are feeling slighted from coming to the table late without being afforded the opportunity to obtain those players. 

Full disclaimer, I don't have any issues with other teams that have loaded affiliates. Personally I players in three categories on my team which is: players that influence my GHL success, players that have the potential to influence my success and assets that I can move to benefit my team. Players that don't contribute to any of those categories are either released or not acquired in the first place. I like the idea of a roster limit for the purpose of adding another layer of realism to this game and boosting manager interaction as a byproduct of having a roster limit. 

Posted February 10, 2018 - 08:53 PM

flowbish1

Head Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • 0 thanks
    GM Since: June 2017
Rep - Helpful
  • LocationK'ek part au Qu├ębec.

I think 30 is too small, but 50 is by far too high. With a full roster in the lineup that's allowing for 32 affiliate players. I think in terms of needs having four centers, eight wingers and three goalies is enough room to have players that are on the cusp of making the team and maintaining a strong prospect pipeline with the affiliate. I think 35 would be a good amount and drafted players that aren't signed wouldn't count towards that total. 

Asset management should be a skill that is encouraged within the game. Currently you're just allowed to hold as many players as you can fit under the cap so hoarding players isn't hard to achieve with the cap savings you gain from putting a player on the affiliate. If you have to make a decision about who you value and who you are just keeping for the sake of having then roster transactions will be more prevalent and GM interaction as well. Instead managers are feeling slighted from coming to the table late without being afforded the opportunity to obtain those players. 

Full disclaimer, I don't have any issues with other teams that have loaded affiliates. Personally I players in three categories on my team which is: players that influence my GHL success, players that have the potential to influence my success and assets that I can move to benefit my team. Players that don't contribute to any of those categories are either released or not acquired in the first place. I like the idea of a roster limit for the purpose of adding another layer of realism to this game and boosting manager interaction as a byproduct of having a roster limit. 

Exactly how i feel, except the limit should be 40. Just my 2 cents!

Fred Longpre

Riversdale Heroes BHL Clapper

Posted February 11, 2018 - 03:35 PM

rainsilent

GamePlanHockey Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • 22 thanks
    GM Since: April 2015
Rep - Outstanding

Steam Profile

Somewhere around 40-50 is more reasonable with 2 affiliate teams. That said I don't think any team needs 2 affiliate teams. Finally there is something I wanted to touch on.

Asset management should be a skill that is encouraged within the game.

This needs to be more of a thing. Its too easy to maintain the same relative roster for a very long time meaning the same teams typically stay at the top of the GHL for an extended time. To a degree I fully understand why however never really having to truly worry about a cap crunch ever is rather ridiculous. The best team in my GHL has almost the entire roster with 88+ overall players with most 92+. Almost all of those players have been there for 5+ seasons and been resigned at least twice. The team hoarding the most is almost the exact same (not quite as much 90+ overall but almost all high 80s+) and has in their affiliates 1 89, 1 88, 3 87s, 1 86, 2 85s and 1 84 all of which would be very useful GHL players for GHL teams in the lower end of the standings. The way they got those players in the affiliate? Signed them to a two way deal and then sent them down and signed someone else. In my mind once a contract goes above say 1.5 million the game stops cutting the salary down to 10% when sent down. To make it easier lets take it into a percentage of cap space rule to make it easy to implement across all leagues. The GHL cap is currently at 63 million. 1.5 is .0238% of 63. If we stretched it to 1.7 it would be .027 (rounded) of 63. Just so you can keep developing drafted prospects a bit longer lets just go with 1.7 million or .027% of cap rule as a potential starting point. So why this idea? In the NHL a two way contract can't be worth more than, I think, 900k at the NHL level. Meaning a player with a 1 million dollar or higher contract can't be sent down without the full value of his contact still impacting the team cap. Something similar clearly needs to be done here.

As for promoting teams. You go all out trying to promote and thus have a lot of players that carry over. Well you now have to deal with them and it will restrict your options at the next level if you take them with.

Edit: As for my affiliate numbers as I pointed out I have a lot of young players that I think could still develop that nobody bothered signing. I don't plan on keeping them but there are typically quite a few players that actually show some promise for lower league teams, IHL and LIHL teams specifically, that are going unsigned. It is probably inevitable but I would rather fill my affiliate with these players than horde GHL players. That said the reason that there is hording going on is because its too easy to do.

Edited by rainsilent, February 11, 2018 - 03:46 PM.

Posted February 11, 2018 - 06:54 PM

Mocha

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: January 2018
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationCalgary

C: 4 & 4 = 8

F: 8 & 8 = 16

D: 6 & 6 = 12

G: 2 & 2 = 4

For a total of 40 players, I believe that should be the limit not limited to position per say but thats how I try and build my team and 40 makes for 2 full rosters, half to be put on one affiliate or split however between the two (I personally form one entire affiliate team). From what I've read thus far which is from 30 to 50, obviously 40 seems like the logical number if there is to be a limit.

Posted February 11, 2018 - 09:54 PM

Paul T

Professional GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • 5 thanks
Rep - Outstanding
  • LocationBOSTON

I agree with all of this. 

I don't have an issue with managers who stack their affiliate.  I don't have an issue with anything that isn't against the rules.  When I made the 30-35 roster limit suggestion, it was purely based on asset management.  It would require managers to make better decisions with their acquisitions instead of hoarding.  I'm always down for whatever requires more strategy.  Right now I have 44 players... if I really wanted to, I could sign an additional 40-50 on 2-way contracts and use them as trade bait. 

Thinking more about it, 30 is low... 35-40 seems right.  I stocked up early in the season because I just promoted from BHL to SHL and felt there was a good chance I'd get sent back down.  As for promotion, if you play it right, the players you bring up with you might help.  I'm still starting 7 players that I did in BHL, not including backup goalies (successfully).  The others I brought up who don't start are valuable assets should I get relegated.

*SEASON 16 TARNISHED SILVER BISCUIT PLATE CHAMPION*

Posted February 12, 2018 - 05:56 PM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

We were already discussing about roster limit in october. :cool:  ----> http://forums.gmgame...1-roster-limit/

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted February 13, 2018 - 12:59 PM

bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

40 I think is still too high. Realistically you only need 2 centers, 3-4 wingers, 2-3 defenseman and 1 goalie in the farm.

35 would probably be a good limit, even AHL teams sign some players of their own instead of just using what their parent teams give em

Posted February 13, 2018 - 02:30 PM

ColoKrabatt

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2017
Rep - Reliable

I, on the other hand, think limit of 40-45 players could be ideal. We still have two farm teams...

I'm rather standing for decrease of salary cap. Lower cap will force us to limit our squads on our own. So there will be two barriers (lower cap plus roster limit) which should prevent hoarding completly. 

HOWITZER |GHL| OGDENSBURG BEASTS      ALL STAR  

DANGLES  
|IHL| OGEMA OUTSIDERS

Posted February 13, 2018 - 03:12 PM

Pingu

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • 1 thanks
    GM Since: August 2016
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationBelgium
I don't mind lots of affiliated players. But like rainsilent mentioned.
There are differences in having youth and a backup or having a whole league team in the affiliated.
Because that is almost an effective way to weaken opposition.

Posted February 13, 2018 - 03:31 PM

bhandsome08

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

35 roster limit, decrease salary cap and one affiliate team is what I would like to see.

And maybe adding a main roster limit similar to the nhl's main roster limit of 23 players, and exclude IR'd players from the main roster count and salary cap.

Posted February 13, 2018 - 03:52 PM

Smashvilles4Realz

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

perhaps roster limits could be tied to the affiliate teams. like 25 player limit on your top affiliate and 20 on the lower affiliate? i dunno, that's my .02

Posted February 14, 2018 - 01:46 AM

Mattti0

Assistant GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • 3 thanks
Rep - Reliable
  • LocationFinland

perhaps roster limits could be tied to the affiliate teams. like 25 player limit on your top affiliate and 20 on the lower affiliate? i dunno, that's my .02

So it's like over 60 players totally :rolleyes:

I agree that promotion situation if you have done longer term plan to lower level and have many multi-year contracts.

I would like to reduce affiliate teams count to one per team. Roster size could be limited somewhere around 30 to 35. This still have some space to have your legacy players from lower level and I bet that no all players have promotion contract so you can free buyout some lower league contracts. Limit should be fulfilled in the start or beginning of regular season (e.g. between day 7 and day 10) so you can play some friendlies with wider roster and then put unwanted players to waivers or buyout/free release them. Or then your assist will put players to waivers.

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:42 PM

Smashvilles4Realz

Professional Scout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • 0 thanks
Rep - Helpful

So it's like over 60 players totally :rolleyes:

The numbers were hypothetical, but the point remains. Point being you could limit the number of players per affiliate. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users